Fantôme Saison - Brasserie Fantôme

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Thrasher on 07-24-2002

Reviews: 793 | Hads: 1,756
4.95/5  rDev +14.8%

"biere artisanale sur lie"
Lot n "a" & "c"
Best before end: "J 13"
I was a bit nervous picking this up because I knew it had been at the store for a long time and was exposed to artificial light all the time. Most likely temperature variations, as well, because it isn't the cleanest or newest store I've been to. But it turned out to be a great bottle.

A: Gorgeous, hazy, bright golden-orange with a massive head. Bright white, foamy, super fine bubbles. The layer of foam moves as one entity around the glass without leaving much lacing. Almost oily. The thick, pillowy head lingers forever. So awesome. Higher than a "5."

S: Explosion of wild yeast, fresh air, bright citrus, cedar, flowers, barn. I honestly picture a bucolic farm in the Belgian countryside when I smell this. So complex and so enticing. I can't take my nose away. As in the appearance, this is higher than a "5."

T: Oh my goodness. Everything in the nose but the citrus is much more pronounced. The yeast really shows itself. Very earthy, barny, fruity. Incredibly effervescent.

M: So damn smooth and so damn tasty. The carbonation is perfect. The finish is absurd! I really want to give this beer a perfect "5" but the yeast and finish can be a bit cloying as the beer warms.

O: It isn't fair comparing beers like this and Dupont's Saison to the American attempts at the style but all is fair in love and beer. The only two Saisons that can come close to this are anything from Dupont and Hill Farmstead. Everything else seems to be a Belgian IPA or while a "good" American Saison, it doesn't even come close. And I've had a lot of American-style Saisons. This is phenomenal, top-class stuff. I would drink this every day if I could. I will most certainly drink this on a summer day in Belgium one day soon. (1,785 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

750 mL bottle with freshness date into a wine glass yields a tight head of foam, pretty solid lacing and retention. Colour is an apricot gold, quite hazy, with solid carbonation.

Smell is an interesting bracing sourness first, yeast comes through, candy sugars. Malt is there in the background, light and subdued.

Taste is a slightly tart, yeasty and definitely wild start. The yeastiness is quite forward, with strong apple and fruity funky aspect. As it develops it has some fruity lychee sweetness, dryness (barn attic), and some more hop-forward bitterness. On the end it has some fruity sweetness, slight malt. Terrific complexity and flavour, that really grows on you. Great.

Mouthfeel has a high carbonation, it is moderatetely bodied. Very refreshing, the slight wild bracingness is balanced nicely. Very dry and drinkable. Alcohol is barely perceptible and drinks well.

This one was a bit of a surprise about what to expect. It is certainly a treat. Had this about a month before the bottle's best before, and was quite impressed with the dry complexity of flavours it packed together quite well. A bit more sour and wild than I anticipated, but I really enjoyed it. (1,179 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -7.4%

A - Golden, hazy, huge white head, lots of streams of carbonation, patchy lacing, lasting head

S - Pepper, lemon, earthy, smoky, musty grass

T - Herbs, spices, smokey-peppry lemon grass

M - Thick, frothy, excellent carbontion, head retained throughout entire brew

O - Very very different from the last 'Saison' I had from Frantome. Unfortunately this is not as good. Not sure where all the smokiness came from. Missing all the light yeasty fruity flavors. Lots more earthy. Did like the pepper quite a bit. Mouth certainty has top notch quality. 8 ABV is hidden very well. I still look forward to my next Fantome beer. Sure your never positive what your going to get - yet, all still are very very good. (707 characters)

8.00% ABV confirmed. 1 pint 9.4 fl oz green glass bottle with a pressure cap sealed over an internally-housed cork served into a New Belgium stem-goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Acquired at Hi-Time Wine Cellars in Costa Mesa, California for right around $15. Expectations are extremely high given this brewery's reputation as one of the master brewers of saisons.

Imported by the Shelton Bastards.

I pulled it from the fridge but it seemed far too cold to serve. I'm letting it warm up to an appropriate temperature for the style before serving. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

First, a note on presentation. Green bottles, really? This is a disappointment and the brewer should know better.

Yielded a satisfying pop when I removed the cork. No issues with liquid surging out or anything.

A: Pours a two finger white colour head - disappointingly thin - with no real cream. Retention is average (~2 minutes), which is forgivable given the ABV. Body colour is a dull orange muted orange. No yeast particles are visible - at least not this high up in the bottle. No bubble show. Nontransparent but non-opaque. It's not much to look at, to be honest, but it's appropriate for the style.

Sm: The aroma is more the quality I was expecting from such a highly regarded saison. Pale malts, rich evocative spices, muted floral hopping, bubblegum, indistinct bright fruit, apple, pear, grass, heavy fruit esters, some lemon citrus injection, berries, cilantro, orange, pepper, pineapple, hints of subtle barnyard funk, and lemongrass. There's more there, but admittedly my broken nose can't detect them - or maybe I'm just not refined enough. I do know that there's serious complexity and subtlety to this aroma, and it's rare for the style. I can't wait to give this a taste. I suppose if I had to pick one note, I'd say pear is dominant. A moderate strength aroma. Near perfect. The one flaw is that the berry does ring artificial; it could just be me but it doesn't feel as natural as I'd like. Also, the crystal malt is a bit overdone.

T: Fruit esters are the first thing I get. Lots of pear, some crisp apple, hints of berries. The spicing manifests more as it warms, with hints of pepper coming through, though nowhere near as much as I'd like. I like my saisons very peppery, and it's limited here. I get some lychee-like fruit but it doesn't destroy the balance - that's hard to accomplish. Hints of cilantro, maybe. Some orange and orange rind. Not as grassy as anticipated, but it certainly comprises a part of the body - which is itself built primarily with pale malts. Maybe some biscuit malt as well. Certainly crystal malt, though not as much as suggested by the aroma. Redolent even of watermelon on the climax. Heavy fruit skin throughout. I don't get any earthiness, which I consider a good thing. Maybe some herbal notes, but more in a cilantro or spice sense. Boy, do I wish it had more pepper. Is that...strawberry? Yes. In any case, it's certainly a refreshing flavour and has layers of complexity and subtlety that emerge more and more as it warms. I certainly like it. No alcohol comes through. Fleeting hints of a yeasty character are present, but I don't get any earthy or biscuity yeasty notes; I'm a bit let down in that regard. Residual sugar lingers on the finish; I feel I should brush my teeth after finishing with this one - but it's not too sweet. Maybe some buried candied fig; there's certainly a candied something but I don't know that I'd go so far as to call it candi sugar. Hopping is floral but seemingly minimal, with hops mainly chosen for their ability to accentuate fruity esters. An apt choice here.

Constructively: Not enough black pepper. Not enough spicing. A bit too much white lychee sweetness. I criticize, but I nitpick. This is, in large part, a masterfully brewed beer.

Mf: Smooth, wet. Just coarse enough to bring out the flavour more. A bit of tingly character from the crystal malt. Thickness is ideal. Carbonation is near perfect - maybe a bit overdone in anticipation of aging. Complements the flavour nicely. Crisp and yet soft - like biting into a good pear.

Dr: All around a very drinkable saison, and one I expect that would improve with age. I do want more pepper and spicing in my saisons, but this beer delivers on every other point. Certainly one of the most complex saisons I've ever had the delight to drink. This is a requisite drink for anyone seriously delving into the world of saisons. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention the ABV - it's so well hidden that it's an afterthought. This could easily be 5% and I doubt I'd know the difference.

High B+

I'd love to try this aged, and could easily see it reaching an A- rating in my book after a year or two in a cellar.

Would pair well with fresh pear or a good green apple. Perhaps a salad would suit it well as well, but watch it with the acidic dressing. (4,969 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +7.2%

Bottle poured into a tulip, cork has code 086/477044 on it. I've had the bottle for about two years though. Beer pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with a finger of off white soft head. Head dissipates quickly, leaving some light lacing until only a thin collar of bubbles remain. Tried to not disturb the yeast much but still a bit of sediment on the first pour. Decent number of tiny bubbles but not particularly effervescent.

Nose is heavy fruity ester, red apple, ripe pear, fresh grapes, with some lighter floral, grassy, biscuit malts, and a earthy funk. Smells very sweet, but light. As it warms, more of the brett funk really comes through, horse blanket and wet horse hair.

Taking a sip, heavy brett flavors, funky earthy, wet animal like funk, matched with sweet fruit esters, apple, pear and grape. Not much malt flavor as the funk continues through to the finish. Very drying, leaving the tongue almost scratchy, with lingering wet animal hair funk, grassy and floral flavors.

Light to medium body with a decent amount of fine carbonation. Really interesting beer that changes as it warmed in the glass. Initially more ester forward, then really brett heavy as it warmed. (1,190 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from 750ml corked and capped bottle into Globe glass.

A. Pours 3 finger head. Color is hazy golden yellow. Good retention. Moderate lacing.

S. Belgian yeast, lemony citrus, spices, pale sweet malt. Smells like refreshing in a glass. Really nice lemony sweet smell. A little bit of funk but not much. Really good smelling saison. I like the sweeter than most touch.

T. Wow. Holy Crap! As someone who loves Saisons, this might be the best I have had. Big explosions of lemony citrus, spices, sweet malt, tartness on the back of the tongue. Lots of flavor. Probably the most flavor I have had in a Saison. Sweet upfront and tart sourness on the back.

M. Medium/light. Heavy carbonation. Finishes with some tartness, but drinks mostly sweet.

O. Delicous! This is a really good beer. Saisons are among my favorite styles. This one has so much flavor going on its rediculous, almost like two beers in one. (914 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

750 ml bottle poured into a Russian River stemmed glass.

A: Very nice dark yellow almost orange in color with lots of carbonation and a head that dissipated quickly with a constant flow of rising bubbles from the bottom of the glass. Very clear considering the amount of yeast and critters on the bottom of the bottle.

S: Very aromatic, wow, this is an awesome smelling beer. Aroma kept hitting me while writing the description above. Lots of strange things going on... Fruity, good phenols, grassy hayness, citrus maybe, a light smokyness but very faint. This is easily one of the most tasty, interesting and complex beers I've smelled. Hard to pin point what I'm smelling but its damn interesting and I can't get enough. Its very strange but obviously in a good way. Slight plastic like but smooth and fruity, if that makes any sense. Can't wait to taste this puppy.

T: Very very nice tartness, fruity with a faint smokyness that is quite pleasant and not as upfront as the somokyness I've gotten in other bottles of Fantome, so I must have gotten an extra good bottle. I get some tangy citrus, lemon and earthier citrus characters of lemon grass. Also a tad sweet and a very nice phenolic smoothness that is very thirst quenching and refreshing when coupled with the tartness. Damn good f-ing beer! Really balanced and just good!

M: Not as carbonated as I was expecting but is very refreshing and easy to drink considering the 8% abv, can't notice it at all. Nice dry smoky finish that follows and lingers after the tartness resides. Very smooth and has a nice light body from the high attenuating yeast.

O: This has got to be one of the tastiest, most complex and satisfying beers I've had. My new favorite Saison, easy. Great balance of flavors with a great aroma and refreshing drinkability. Dany Prignon is an f-ing genious! I'm having this on my b-day and could not have had anything better. I recommend this to anyone curious about Fantome without worry or risk of getting a bad bottle. Great beer and one of my new favorites. A must have! (2,055 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -10%

The long-running top-ranked beer in my favorite style. Recently supplanted by a HF one-off, but I'll probably never try that. So here we go! Best before end July 2013. Tasted 16 November 2012, reviewed from notes.

Pours a pale golden color. Not quite clear, like looking through frosted glass. A wide column of bubbles rising up. Two fingers of fluffy white head. Okay retention, not much lacing.

Smell is intriguing. Fruity and flowery. Quite flowery, as I continue to smell it. Lightly sweet, with a soft crispness. Funk is in the background, but rises up more with warmth. Just a bit of spice. I like it.

Taste is funkier and spicier, still with plenty of fruit. Balanced and interesting, but I want more from it. Drifts from sweet like a riesling to a dry bitter in the finish - a surprising transition.

Mouthfeel is top-notch. Medium-bodied, with a ballooning feeling that I always have a hard time describing - like it's expanding off my tongue to fill up my mouth. Tingly carbonation to start out, becomes more mellow as it goes.

Very nice beer. Not the best saison I've had, but definitely up there. In the balanced group for the style, with no element really standing out, though it's definitely a shade towards the fruity side. (1,242 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -3.2%

750mL. Pours a cloudy, beautiful neon light orange with a fizzy, two-finger, eggshell white head. Decent to little lacework. Aroma is complex: caramel, dulce de leche ice cream, pineapples, green apples, grains of paradise, white grapes, freshly squeezed kumquats. Taste is almost all tart kumquats, passionfruit, some prevalent fruity tartness. Very refreshing and light-bodied. Buttery, coating mouthfeel. Very good. (418 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to the BAer who brought this to the Nov. '12 Philly 'burbs bottle share.
I also have a bottle in the fridge with an alternate label. (Actually, I think the one we tasted had the alternate label compared to the one pictured here.)

Original rating: 2.78

To sum this beer up with one phrase: Oh, you Belgians and your green bottles. This probably is a good beer, I don't know, thanks to Mr. GreenGlass. Hazy golden-yellow pour with a decent foamy white head that receded leaving a bit of lacing on the glass. Aroma of grass and hay, a good hit of smoke, stale funk, and fruit skins. Tobacco was the dominant flavor in this beer, from the bottle we had anyway, grassy funk, old perfume and light spice, wheaty malts, bland aftertaste. Light-medium body, fairly dry. I sensed a good beer in there somewhere, but I couldn't tell for sure from the condition that it was in. Hopefully my bottle will yield something more palatable.

*** Revisited this one with the bottle in my fridge. MUCH better. Obviously there will be inconsistencies with a beer like this, but the bottle I had was significantly better, and I easily polished off the entire bomber myself. Aroma was fresher, lacked any smokiness. Taste was also much much better, fresher, grassier, no smoke or tobacco, vegetal notes, with a crisp clean aftertaste. (1,321 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%

Appropriate beer for Halloween.

A- A hard pour produces a large, tightly condensed bone colored head. It sits atop a beautiful golden glow of a beer. Light bubbles are illuminated in the color. The head retains about 3/4 inch the whole time. Big chunks of foam and lacing are left all over the glass. This looks frighteningly good.

S- Notes of apples, pears, orange peel, coriander, and some straw. There is a pale malt underneath, sort of bready. Smells naturally sweet. There is spice in this as well. Very comples nose, I can sniff this all night.

T- Flavor is green apple, some pear, and a bit of peach on the backend. There is a great smokiness in this that is not overbearing, but just enough to add another dimension. There is a dash of herbs thrown in to add a bit of spice, but never drying. Excellent Saison.

M- Light bodied with mid to high carbonation. Thirst quenching, drinks like water with amazing taste. No detection of alcohol at all. Would drink this on tap all night.

O- I think this may be my favorite Saison. Looks amazing, can smell it all night. It tastes great and drinks like a champ. I wonder if the smokiness comes from the bricks? Would love to visit this brewery, and would love to find this on tap somewhere and drink all night. (1,264 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml, 086/477044 on cork
Purchased in 2012
Lost Abbey tulip

A: Pours a really pretty hazy light yellow orange straw like color. Great pop on cork! Lots of carbonation. Two fingers of fluffy white. Lots of tiny bubbles coming from bottom.

S: Really impressive nose. Initially I get the spiciness. There is almost a slight smoke/campfire smell I am getting. Then it's fruitiness: citrus, mild strawberry, etc. Not getting all the American Saison like notes.

T: Lots of spiciness in the tip if the tongue. Again, I get that smoke that I smelled in flavor. It's interesting for the style. Not getting the barnyard I was expecting. In the mid palate, you get that grassy grainy hit that you'd expect. The close is certainly dry like a Saison. Some lingering smoke?

M: It's a light medium. The carbonation is very high. (818 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Rutager for my first taste of Fantôme.

Poured from a 750ml. bottle and split with my wife.

Appearance: A huge frothy and whipped head with tight tiny bubbles. Lasts a long time atop a hazy light orange-peach body.

Smell: Citrus, hay, some tartness, zesty, refreshing.

Taste: More of the same with a hint of mint and misc. herbs as well as citrus (mostly subdued lemon) with plushy fruit, mild sour peaches?

Mouthfeel: Alive, carbonation is comfortable (medium-low) with a very low lying tartness.

Overall: Very drinkable, high on flavor and a joy to drink. Will try more from this brewery for sure. (615 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Drank from my Ciney sniffer

A - Pours a nice cloudy straw colour with white head that retains well and laces. This beer says drink me !

S - Aromas of peach, boiled lollies and candy floss

T - up front some nice spicey malt with concentrated peach sugars that are very nice, the finish is spicey and sweet but not overpowering, the booze is well balanced out with the other flavours, it has an almost gauze like flavours on the finish.

M - Medium to full body with medium carbonation, the smoothness is impressive.

O - Really enjoyed this Saison and its the best I have had to date. (586 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Hazy blond body, thin white head and nice lace.

Trace of smoke in the smell along with some light blueberry and yeast character.

Some light berry notes, and a trace of smoke. Not lots of spice, but great flavor and interest.

Smooth, rich, but pretty bright.

A truly great saison, among the best I have ever tasted. (318 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from bottle into DeRanke tulip in Brussels (cant remember the name of the restaurant). Pours a fantastic light orange haze with thick white head. Smells of wild belgian yeast, slight hop, slight grassy and citrusy.
Taste is so great. Such a unique flavor of citrusy grassy yeasty malts. Super dry but refreshing and easy to drink. Wow...Fantome is just superb. (367 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

A- A very beautiful orangeish hue, looks like an unfiltered(which I think it is) as it is very hazy and is quite inviting and just asking me to drink it.

S- Smell is well again just fantastic. There are floral notes, earthy notes, just wow. I can't say much more aside from that.

T- Not sure if it is because this bottle has a bit of age on it, the beer has a sourness on the first taste that is well quite amazing. Absolutely love the taste of this beer. Heading straight to the store to buy some more tomorrow.

M- Mouthfeel is smooth with a late drying effect, love this beer. Perfect.

O- Amazing beer, easily one of my favorites without a doubt. (652 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%

Pours a juicy-looking peach with tangerine highlights. The weak pop from the bottle yields a mild, 1/8th inch head that soon settles down into nothing more than a halo. Lazy toads-eye bubble doze around the glass. Not great, not terrible.

Smell starts off with huge gobs of strawberry jam, the fruit leaping from the glass. There are also some notes of starfruit and shortbread. Underneath, there are hints of vinegar and seawater. Interesting.

As we arrive at the taste, the the roles flip from the aroma. At first, a pungently sour line appears at the side of the tongue, with sweet blackberry emerging as a shading note. On the swallow, acetone and a bump of pure CO2 show up as well. For so many different flavors, it still somehow comes off as dull.

Mouthfeel is a bit lower than I'd like; more foam would go a long way here.

Overall, I'm pleased by the creativity displayed here, but it's far from the best, or even the most original saison I've had. Due to the variations in quality from batch to batch (or, for that matter, bottle to bottle), it may be an unreviewable beer. That being said, there are better offerings from this brewery, and much better beers to have at this price point. (1,201 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a light golden hay color, slightly hazy, with a fluffy 3-4 finger head. Leaves a decent ring of foam around the glass and a film of bubbles. up top. Some visible carbonation riding up the glass. Looks a little thin and pale.

Smell is some earthiness, a slightly cheesy funk, some spices, and some sweet fruits. A bit of citrus, maybe some peach. Starts out a bit funkier, but the sweetness comes through more as it warms. Really nice, quite complex. The highlight of the beer.

Taste is a little peppery spice, bit of earthiness, some citrus. A hint of bitterness going down. The sweet peach flavor is there but doesn't come through as strong as in the aroma, which is a little disappointing. Still, this is excellent.

Mouthfeel is nice, but a little thinner and less carbonated than would be ideal.

This is an excellent saison. Really tasty, refreshing, and complex. Great sipper, but also very sessionable. Perfect for the weather. (945 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

750ml into a Hopleaf tulip. Shared by Agold and Willcarrera at last night's tasting. Thanks!

A: Pours a yeasty gold, big white head.

S: Perfumy vanilla, soapy yeast, nice herbal notes, cotton candy. Strong, really great.

T: Straight ahead pale malt sweetness, smooth yeast, pretty dry on the end, bit of bitterness, lemon rind, pineapple.

M: Soft, nice.

O: Fantastic aroma, taste wasn't amazing but still very good. (420 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +10%

750ml bottle poured into a Duvel tulip, taking care to leave the yeast behind. Best by notch on the label reads "January 2013."

A: Pours a hazy golden-yellow with a creamy eggshell-white head. The head arises from the lively carbonation, and it has more snap, crackle, and pop than a bowl of Rice Krispies. It eventually settles into a thin quarter inch crown, but never goes away completely. Clumps of lacing slide down the glass lazily.

S: Complex doesn't even begin to describe the nose. It's everything you'd expect from a good saison, but with a zesty, spritzy, and very lively fruitiness. Apricot, tart peach, granny smith apple peel, nectarine, and fleshy mango. Touch of mustiness and funk in the background, along with that trademark saison spiciness coming from the yeast (white pepper specifically). Earthy and grassy impressions as well. This is one of the deepest noses I've ever experienced in a beer. Marvelous.

T: Tart tropical fruits on the attack: apricot, peach, nectarine, and pulpy orange. The tartness is quite pleasing. Lip smacking and slightly puckering, but humble enough not to steal the show. Eventually the tart and fruity tastes begin to drop away, revealing the rustic flavors beneath. Grassy, musty, earthy, hint of barnyard. White pepper and coriander spiciness. The finish is a long but subtle medley of tropical fruit, understated tartness, and ghost-like funkiness.

M: Light in body, but silky, slightly creamy, and incredibly smooth. Carbonation is active, but soft and caressing. Light acidity and astringency actually make it even more refreshing and thirst-quenching.

O: This is as near perfection as I've ever experienced. It's so well balanced, and it has a perfect sort of 'flow' to it. Exquisite in its uniqueness. So much of it is intangible too, but entirely delicious. A beer to contemplate if ever there was one.

Notes: I felt inspired, so I surveyed my options with the cheeses I had on-hand and paired it with Robiola Rocchetta. It was a fabulous marriage. If Charlie Sheen thinks he's winning at life right now, he ain't got shit on me. (2,095 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Literally the beer that makes the style. Holy cow. This is a blend of spice and citrus that defies explanation or definition.

Opened with my future father-in-law to celebrate graduation, he started by calling it "a little too much like a lager", so we'll have to work on its source. But that said, the appearance is fantastic. Blond, hazy, great big foaming white head. Wheat and citrus and coriander and cumin and grass and alcohol come pouring out of the aroma. It drinks creamy, finishes clean, and ginger and lemongrass add to the taste. I'm not even entirely sure what it tastes like, to be honest, because it's like every good quality of saisons I've had in the past was amplified in this.

Most importantly, it's worth the purchase price, and pairs exceptionally well with a variety of food. In this case it was Thai. Cheers to Fantome for their flagship brew. It's one I wish was more common. (902 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +4.9%

750 ml from Halftime. Best by end b.may.12. So just in time.

One of the worlds best saisons. Lucky to have found it.

No head...slightly turbid blonde color, almost a pinkish hue at times.. Interesting fruit odor that seems unlike citrus; lactic acid. Apricot maybe, reminds me of kombucha.

It is only a little fizzy despite years in the bottle. The taste is so crisp, so professional. The alcohol is hidden so well. It retains a refreshing quality on par with its quality and availability. Almost as if water and taste were combined without any of the heaviness found with a beer of this ABV.

Highly recommended, but if you're reading this, you already know that. (669 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

Thanks to Chris for bringing this to our tasting! 750ml poured into a Lost Abbey stemmed glass.

Pours a nice golden honey color, bits of orange and amber are present as well. A huge thick fluffy white head appears with only a modest pour, great retention, a nice fluffy bit of head is present during the entire drinking experience. A fair amount of sediment and floaties appear in the glass as well. A decent amount of funk jumps out of the glass right away, lemon zest, coriander some other fruity esters are noticeable as well, reminded me of lighter, green grapes an crisp green apple. The flavors are superb, citrus heavy at the start, tangerine, grapefruit and lemon zest, nice yeasty funk, but not overwhelming, some tarter fruit as well with some nice soft grain flavors at the finish. The alcohol does come through a bit with the sweeter fruit flavors, but doesn't detract from the beer at all. The body is great, medium/high carbonation, nice zestiness.

Verdict: Easily the best saison I've encountered. Went perfectly with the nice sunny warm day, delicious beer. (1,075 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Light straw gold color, pale yellow...very small bubbles didn't last long. Light aroma of banana, hay. Flavor of lemon, pear, wheat, funk, caramel, green apple. Overall very drinkable and tasty with no rough notes...not very sour or funky and very minimal alcohol notes. (270 characters)

Fantôme Saison from Brasserie Fantôme