Fantôme Saison - Brasserie Fantôme

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Thrasher on 07-24-2002

Reviews: 798 | Hads: 1,806
4.94/5  rDev +14.9%

Pours murky honey yellow with a slight orange hue towards the center of the glass. One inch of white head falls to a top coating that doesn't leave much lacing.

Holy FUNK BOMBS Batman! The aromas are amazing. There are hints of apple cider, strawberry's, plum, straw, sexy funk, candy, honey, pineapple, orange / tangerine, pear, pungent spices, strip clubs, incense, there is too much going on to explain.

The flavors are just as broad and amazing as the nose. Its an orgy of flavors! The taste is addictive.

Thick(medium body), it coats the tongue. There is a fair amount of carbonation but the thick body holds it down. The flavors stick around for a long time. Just a little warmth in the back of my throat. This beer is a work of art!

This must be the nectar of the Gods. Highly drinkable and addictive; I cant wait till the next time I get to enjoy one of these. Goes very well with French onion soup. I really feel like I'm in Heaven right now.

4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

There are millions of words I want to say about this beer, but sadly it has been years since the day I purchased and experienced this beer so my memory is not fresh enough to express the love and enjoyment I had when I drank it. The one thing I will never forget, aside from the knowledge that still to this day it is my favorite beer I have tried, is that is smelled and in a weird way, tasted like the best dank in the world. Maybe my particular bottle was unlike any other, but I had multiple people to confirm that it was in fact true. This is of course stretching the imagination because when experiencing any substance, to say it is the "best in the world" you are just imagining what that would be like. Whether that is your cup of tea or not, this beer will definitely be worth it's price and may never be dethroned as my favorite beer.

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

750 ml bottle, capped and corked. The recessed cork was difficult to remove, even with a good corkscrew. Served into a tulip glass.
Appearance: Hazy, golden body with a gigantic snowwhite head that nests in the tulup glass. Good lacing.

Aroma: Much like a lambic, with musty cherry and lemon notes. Spicy, herbal, and fruity, with funky horseblanket yeast. Well spiced, with coriander, white pepper, rosemary, and lemon zest. Fruit esters are exceptional.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and well carbonated. Funky yeast lends a heaviness to the mouthfeel.

Taste: Citrusy lemon with tangerines in the background. Lots of funky barnyard yeastiness, grassy and floral hops, and some floral character. Spices are somewhat bitter, with coriander and white pepper. Earthy, grassy, lemony citrus, and yeasty. Evokes a spring meadow, grazing with sheep. Long finish is yeasty, spicy, and lemony bitter.

Drinkability: I'm becoming a big fan of Saisons, and this one sets a nice standard for the style. I've been keeping a small stash of Ommegang Hennepin on hand to slake my desire for this style, but an excellent Belgian Saison like this one is a special treat. Truly exceptional drinkability. I love grazing in the meadow with sheep, taking in the grassy, herbal, floral, and funky earthiness that is contained in a bottle like this one. The citrusy lemon character really adds an inviting component to the drinkability. Nice and dry, with a long finish. Lovely!

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

Miller High Life proclaims itself, "The Champagne of Beers". Quite a misnomer, I guess the French do have reason to hate us. Were I to point someone in the "Champagne of Beers" direction, the first stop would be the saison and there's none finer than Fantôme Saison.

The bottle top has a wire cage, a traditional cap AND a cork, making it getting to it's sweet nectar that much more rewarding. The cork pops like a champagne bottle and instantly the brilliant aroma hits you. It's sweet and tangy - a pleasant mixture of peach, strawberry and citrus. Very comforting. It pours nicely into the two chalices as the missus and I eagerly await. The murky golden straw color looks nice with it's billowy froth.

The taste too, has a citrus flavor but well balanced with sour notes and apple tang. a hint of coriander and clove fill it out. The body is light and refreshing, the 750 mL split between us two, was not enough. We were sad to see it go.

750ml bottle severed in tulip

A: Cloudy and golden. Moderate head, minimal lacing.

S: Amazing. This is the best smelling beer I've ever had. It has some spice in the nose as well as some sweetness and tartness.

T: Amazing as well. This blows every other Sasion I've had out of the water. When first sipped it is sweet and fruity and towards the end of the sip you taste tart fruitiness.

M: Medium body nicely carbonated.

D: Very drinkable had no problem finishing my bottle and could have had another (or two).

Overall I was not disappointed with a beer that I'd seen plenty of hype for. Bit expensive for daily drinking but I plan to have this often in the future.

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

Based on the tap adheared to the cap, I'm guessing this one was sent from mizzouguy. Thanks man. a/c/J/13 on the label, and of course I'm hesitant to even begin theorizing exactly what Dany means by that. Poured into an Ommegang tasting glass. Paired with some Cod cooked in herbs, garlic and lemon.

A - Pours a cloudy yellow/orange with a nice 1/2" foam head. Looks very nice.

S - Some citrus, then an aroma comparable to a freshly sliced strawberry, a little bit of tartness and funk. Lots of fruit.

T - Some Belgian yeast that quickly turns into light citrus, notes of banana, more citrus and a slight amount of funk. Then that aroma note I attributed to strawberries comes out towards the finish. For a moment, it seemed to go towards dryness, but then the mellow flavor continues instead with fruity ending.

M - Light carbonation on the tongue provides for an almost medium mouthfeel. Seems perfect for the style.

O - I can't imagine a better tasting, more refreshing Saison. Balanced, refreshing, perfect. I've had a lot of different Saisons since the last original Fantome has been opened, and now it makes them seem terrible. I would drink this every day. No wonder some people in Belgium are so dedicated to Dany's beers.

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

Looks like homemade lemonade without the pulp. It has a bleached bone froth that is quite hig, but you don't have to wait long for it to become manageable. It smells like pre-digested grasses (chewed cud) washed in a cast iron pot with white wine vinegar, and rubbed with fresh sage.
There's an immediate taste of horse leather (recently worn). It's surprisingly dry, for recently worn horse leather!! This must have been stirred by a horse with sugar on it's hoof, and horehound, mint and miner's lettuce on it's breath. Wild!! Man, it's crisp and refreshing overall, with funky burps. It's quenching and interesting, and does't seem anywhere close to 8%. It gets drier as I progress down the bottle, but there's just enough sweetness to keep drinking. This is complicated enough to keep talking about, but hey, it's fantastic. It is now my goal to drink every Fantome beer I can get my lips on, and I'll steal yours if you're not watching.

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

Vintage Wine and Beer...kudos. Dany Prignon rules and is my hero.

A--Not much head but that is not a big deal with this one.

S--This rivals Rochefort 10 as the best smelling beer out there, just spectacular. The complex fruity smell is frickin awesome, yowza.

T--I love the Saison style that Dany has mastered. So complex and tasty.

D--Why does this beer have to be so rare? When I go to Belgium, I am going to hit this brewery up. Terrific beer, get it, enjoy it.

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

750ml bottle purchased for $15.99 at Half Time in Poughkeepsie. Best before July 2013 marked on the side of the label. Poured into tulip.

Appearance – Gorgeous golden orange body with a thick sudsy white head that pours out of the glass. Great retention with characteristic Belgian lacing dotting the glass. Picture perfect.

Smell – Lemon peel tickles the nose followed by a roundhouse kick of candied tropical fruit. Pineapple, passion fruit, mango, papaya… It’s impossible to pick it apart. It almost reminds me of lemon pez. Richly sweet with really tangy/tart fringes. After some time becoming acquainted with the fruit, the musty funk becomes noticeable underneath. Nice peppery phenols as well. Light notes of grain are also noticeable, but you have to dig.

Taste – Right up front, my tongue is hit by tropical fruit. Sugary sweet and intense, but with such a perfectly dry base it never becomes cloying. After this initial burst of juicy fruit, there are some crackery malt tones that make an extremely brief appearance and balance out the sweetness. The finish is dry, a bit funky/musty, and has some light bitter notes as well that mix with residual fruit notes. This is also where the peppery phenols reappear.

Mouthfeel – Medium body that leans towards the lighter side of the spectrum. Really soft carbonation that adds a nice slickness to the body.

Drinkability – This is an outstanding saison. Extremely unique and dangerously drinkable. The 8% is hidden completely by the fruitiness. It is easily the best saison I have ever had. I expected a bit more of a funky edge based on what I had read, but I have three more bottles from this batch and will make sure they spend a bit more time in the bottle. Absolutely wonderful.

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

Pours with huge amounts of foamy white head that seems to last forever. Beautiful, hazy amber and orange body displaying loads of carbonation. Head retention is amazing and leaves very nice lacing on the glass.

A rush of fresh flowers is the first noticeable smell. Fresh tulips and roses are most noticeable. Fruity white grapes, fresh oranges and apricots back the floral notes. A nice compliment of cloves, coriander, black pepper and ginger provide a spicy background. Perfect. I wish air freshners were made that smell like this.

The flavors are started by a quick shot of pepper spice. Almost immediately, the spice flavor is replaced with a deluge of fresh fruits. Freshly picked apricots dominate with a copliment of green apples, plums and blood oranges. I've never eaten a flower, but a sweet-smelling tulip would most certainly taste like this beer in my mind. The beer finishes with a peppery spice before more of the same fruity flavors. Excellent.

This saison is highly carbonated with a nice viscous quality. It coats the mouth after each sip to hold the beautiful flavors.

Drinkability is perfect. This beer tastes so perfectly balanced and delicious that I could constantly drink this. By far, the premiere saison.

01/08/05- Purchased at Dreager's in San Mateo, CA

Presentation- 750ml champagne style with a slapped on Fantome label. Freindy looking ghost with a devious smile on his face. No freshness date. Poured into my Duvel glass.

Appearance- Fat creamy pock marked white head. At least 2-3 inches. My Duvel glass filled perfectly twice from the one bottle. Literally watched the head on my glass slowly, oh so slowly melt away over 10 minutes. It was like time lapse photography. Slowly one chunk popped and disappeared while the head finally settled at about 3/4 of an inch. Awesome golden cloudy liquid with massive and I mean massive amounts of chunks floating around looking for lifevests. Just looking at the bottle unopened in the light you could see yeasties in action all over the bottle. Half heading one direction and half headed the other. They were all over the place. In words of the Nuge..."It's a Free for All"!! I swear it looked like thousands of little spermies in all out battle to choose between Natalie Portman or Paris Hilton's ovary. Needless to say, lots of action going on in this bottle. Guess that's my own little sick beer fantasy. OK, I know, beer...focus! Finally as I pour the remaining chunks of yeast into the glass it leaves little rust color trails in the head of my beer. My beer is starting to look like and orange and cream popsicle!!

Smell- Before I smelled it, I looked at several reviews and I guess I was looking at a different Fantome variety. The main reason is that I thought I was supposed to smell farmyard and horse blankets and feremented urine and wet tar paper..etc, etc, etc. The first thing that hit me was lemons. And I meen sour ass lemons. Maybe rotting sour lemons. Not a bad smell, but an extrememly intense smell. There may have been some other scents also such as white grapefruit and or some tangelos or something of the sort. The overall scent was sourness and a bit musty. Never have smelled anything like it. At first it was weird and kinda crude, but after I consumed the saison it turned into an obsession of taking whiff after whiff before each sip.

Taste- So much stuff going on here. This was my first saison type beer, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. At first taste it was a little more sour than I thought it was going to be. I thought, lambic? But as I kept sipping away I found lots of different tastes. I found white pepper and maybe a bit of corriander like in a witbier. I found hops and I found a decent amount of grain. I am still tasting pilsner like grain tastes in my mouth as I finish my second bottle in 12 hours. Not super sour like a good lambic or a flanders type, but just enough to...well, be perfect. The one thing I love is that unlike a lambic that stays super sour (I literally have to chase each sip with a shot of water because it's so sour), this type starts out light sour and finishes with a normal water based taste and leaves your mouth a bit dry making you want more.

Mouthfeel- Light mouthfeel on the carbonation, but as you consume more and more you sense that it is heavier than at first. Bitter and sour at first, but dry on the finish. As I said before, it leaves you wanting more and more and more.

Drinkability- I had a nice beerfest yesterday while watching the first playoff football games and consumed about 6 bombers with other BA member Spinlock. Fortunately it was my first beer that I had, so it was clear that I really enjoyed it, but when I woke up this morning I couldn't stop thinking about this beer and had to buy another today and try it to really give a 100% acurate rating. I was thinking of giving it straight 5's (that would have been a first for me), but wavered a bit on the appearance and the mouthfeel. Overall it's an incredible beer that I will be having many more times in my future. I am getting married in September and am narrowing down my list of beers to bring with me. This will be one of them and it may very well be the one on the main table getting consumed as everyone toasts at my wedding. It's not an everyday beer though. This to me is a special occasion beer. This falls in the same category of Stone RIS for me. It's too good to have for just any random beer craving. A most awesome crafted beer that has gained a big spot in my heart. Worth $10?? Hell yes. If any of you are wine lovers, take this into consideration. A great bottle of wine will run you typically at least $30-40 minimum. This is a truly great beer and runs you $10 on average if you can find it. This is worth the money. Seek it, buy it, drink it and savor it.

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

Appearance: Opaque. Super hazy from the sediment. Yummy. Deep gold with a bright-white, bubbly, dense head. So much sediment it's crazy.

Smell: Weed coupled with an old cellar. Lots of earthiness and something floral. Bananas, horse blanket, and hay. Touches of lemon. Any hops that might exist are old and withered, giving off a musty and earthy bite. The malts are nuances, slightly sweet, but leaning toward a dank earthiness more than anything.

Taste: Slightly sour. Dirty basement, horse blanket, and stale weed. Oddly sweet. Something like grapefruit and must (as in musty) play through. Super complex. Apple cider. The horse blanket really works with the light sourness and the damp earthiness. Everything going on is present and assertive, but nothing dominates. So very delicious.

Mouthfeel: Nice and smooth. Dry on the back, but solid overall. A little rough on the tongue from all the sediment, but damn if it isn't nice. Faintly carbonated.

Overall: If this isn't one of the best saisons out there, I don't know what is. I was sure I disliked the style before I tried this beer. It's a mind-altering experience. I'm just sad it disappears from shelves as quickly as it does.

750ml corked and capped bottle poured into tulip 22/3/12

A hazy bright golden yellow with lots of very tiny bubbles popping up from everywhere taking their time to reach the two fingers of bone white foam that falls to a thin film leaving several partial rings of lace

S smells pretty sexy with loads of funky apple and pear, some tropical notes, grass, hay, cereal and a little more funk with faint booze

T some faint vinous notes and peppery spice with just a little earthy wet wood, most of what I smell is still there too, not as much grass and hay but now I'm getting a little citric rind towards the finish, the booze is detectable but just, too say this ones complex would be an understatement

M full for the color and it has a little bitter bite to it, those tiny bubbles are a little prickly in the mouth and some faint heat is my only complaint

O a style I enjoy and a near perfect example of one, I don't think there's such a thing as the "perfect" beer but this guys pretty close

pretty impressive stuff here, I spent quite a while smelling this stuff and loved every sip I took. This is one of the better beers I've ever had and look forward too drinking it again, until then I need to thank chickenm for sending me this one

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

Thanks to Shane/beachbum1975 for the bottle I've long been looking for.

Eye: Cloudy golden orange in color. Head is small but stable, and in between rocky and creamy. Lacing isn't all that great, minimal but there is some there.

Nose: Great! Fruity, Spicy, earthy aroma. Floral rose petals, green apple aromas and tartness, crisp. Spice isn't as up front as I though it'd be, more of a dulled spice, hints of oak, just real earthy and real overall all.

Tongue: Earthy, woody, spicy, floral, fruity-delicate and complex. Definitely a very unique farmhouse quality to this one. Drying. Sweet malt body is nicely balanced by the huge farmhouse, dry woody flavor and is complimented by floral(not hops, but a rose petal/leaf like)taste. Its almost as if I am there in the farmhouse. I can taste it, feel it in the air, this beer seems to transport me to Belgium,. Great, just great.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Medium-light on the palate with delicate carbonation, and with good amounts of it. Finish is semi-sweet and semi-dry. At times it feels dry-once the woody type of flavor comes around, during others the sweetness of the malt body comes through and it seems to finish a bit more sweet. This is a beer that I'd gladly pick up, just a great saison, the best I've ever had. Mouthfeel is somewhat warming, pleasantly warm, from the alcohol.

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

During a recent trip to San Francisco I was fortunate enough to share a bottle of Fantôme. I endured some friendly ribbing about my enthusiasm and excitement, but it was all well-deserved. It was the last bottle at the place. The only reason I knew about it was because a group of guys had ordered one to split as well. Usually if I’m at a better beer bar I stick to what’s on tap and at this place I had a couple of decent choices. (In fact, I don’t even think about asking for a bottle list unless I can see the bottles. It always surprises me when someone orders a bottle at the Toronado, for this reason!) I wanted something I could share with my companion and nothing excited the both of us equally well. And then along came… Fantôme!

The brewtender prefaced this by saying that in her experience no two bottles were alike. It’s a sentiment I’ve heard repeated by others who have had this more than once and I look forward to weighing in on its accuracy someday. She poured this into New Belgium snifter glasses. Personally I would have preferred a tulip but I survived.

Fantôme poured a cloudy orange color. The beer has this very big, floral bouquet. Yeasty. Wonderful carbonation, to the point where I picture this beer cascading from the bottle into the glass into my mouth. Lots of flavors. I pick up a lot of zesty citrus: orange peel, orange flowers, and a lingering, complex after taste.
Some funk comes through midway and in the finish. It definitely develops more funky and sour notes as it warms. Some straw and ‘barnyard’ funk, cliché tho the phrase may be. A lingering, complex aftertaste. Didn’t get the sense that it was 8% until after we finished the bottle.

In three words: Floral, fruity, funky. Holy smokes this is an amazing beer.

100th review! (and #666 for the Fantôme, apparently. Ooooh, spooky!)

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

Pours golden in color with a bit of an orange sunset hue and a pillowy bright white head. Nose is fruity with notes of lemon zest, ripe apples, and apricots, and a bit of spice. The taste has several layers of complex flavor. There’s some sweet candied sugar, some fruity notes of apple that become more pronounced as the beer warms, a spiciness of clove and white pepper, and a bit of an earthy yeastiness all blended together perfectly. A marvelous beer that I wish was available locally.

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a tulip glass.

A- Pours a semi-cloudy pale maize color. Produced three fingers width of frothy white head. Great head retention and minor lacing throughout consumption.

S- Holy crap is this smell amazing! The moment the aroma hits my nose I'm transported to a different time. If I was hiding underneath a wooden barn floor in the 1880's, this is exactly the smell I would imagine. Immediately notes of funk take over. A mixture of hay and brett with earthy accents. So potent...

T- Based on the aroma, I was not expecting this at all. Upfront there are some nice grassy, brett characteristics. As soon as the flavors are noted, there is a burst of fruity esters that really add a new dimension to the beer. If that wasn't enough, the finish was absolutely extraordinary. While the mixture of earthy, funky, and fruity flavors develop, the yeast carries a slight tartness to it that really puts this beer of the top. Just so much going on in this beer, yet it remains absolutely cohesive. Truly exceptional.

M - Medium bodied, yet retains a fuller feel. Leaves the mouth semi-dry. Good carbonation.

D- I've never had a 750mL bottle disappear quicker than this one. Drinkability is off the charts.

Overall, one of the best beers I have had the pleasure of drinking. Cannot recommend this enough. If you don't like saisons or if you think you may not like Belgians, give this one a try. I guarantee it will change your mind.

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

I've been looking forward to this saison ever since I read about this beer on BA. I was excited to pick up a bottle at the local liquor store. This seemed like a very good choice to celebrate my 200th review.

This is the best example of how a saison should smell. I get belgian yeast, grassiness, and fresh seasoning off the top. It smells really good.

The coloring is as expected. It pours golden with a couple fingers of head. You also get the cloudiness as well. The head remains in a halo to leave a pleasant bit of lacing on the glass.

The flavor is amazing as well. This has a nice bit of sourness.

Surprise, surprise this is an amazing beer. One of the best of my lifetime.

4.89/5  rDev +13.7%

Pours from the 750ml bottle an extremely hazy light yellow with an average-sized bubbly head - significantly lighter in color than I had anticipated. Huge aroma of sweet fruits (strawberry, apple, apricot) & mild spice mixed with some hints of sour. Wonderfully smooth in the mouth with refined bitterness, citrus, honey, sweet oranges, and absolutely delicious spice. Finishes dry with a wisp of malt, lemon, and a touch of mint. Exquisite.

4.89/5  rDev +13.7%

Mustard resins and wildy overripe dough aromas rise from this whitish orange pour. The head isn't too showy, resolving to a thin sheet in less than a minute. Penetrating the deep yeasty aromatic core are grassy, briny notes. Scented of moist cakes too, there is an approximately perfect balance between sweet and savory in this beer -- though on the nose at least, savory seems to be in charge.
On the palate it's different. Vigorous schnizzle is dulled with chewy textures and flavors reminiscent of juicy, rich breads and jams of apricot and marmelade. Slatey, powdery pepper flavors keep the finish serious, though not perfectly dry.
A ton of white stone fruits flavors, a ton of yeasty earthiness, and a ton of youth and vigor. Its a wonder this is so balanced. It's like Duvel or Fin du Monde from the bowels of the earth. It's like Dupont with chunks of pineapple and apricot in it. It's a baby.
Give it a few months to mature still.

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

This recently came back in to my local beer spot, so I decided to try it for my birthday this year. I decided to leave the bottle at a friend's place, just to ensure I wouldn't open it for a week. Fast forward a week, and the day has come. All I can say is WOW! I expected this to be delicious, as I'm a huge fan of saisons, but holy crap! This is easily the best saison, and one of the best beers period, that I have ever tasted. It really is outstanding, and a must try for saison lovers. I wish it were a bit less than 10.99 a bottle, but I would easily purchase this over a comparably priced bottle of wine for a special dinner. As compared to saison Dupont, I would have to say Fantome is the clear winner in my book. This is not to take anything away from Dupont, of course, that is still a delicious beer. I will be seeking out more beers from Fantome, ASAP.

Tasting notes- definitely taste strawberry, may be some mango as well.

Highly, highly, highly recommended. The gold standard of saisons.

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

Capped and corked 750 ml bottle. Carefully opened with a bottle opener, screwdriver, sheetrock screw, and nailpuller (obviously I couldn't find a bottle opener). Thanks to mdavis31481 for the bottle.

Appearance: A beauty of a hazy gold colored body, big white head, slow fading and creamy. Streams and streams of carbonation steadily rise from the bottom.

Smell: Sour and funky, apples, and other fruits are up front, spicy and very nice.

Taste: Wow, flavors explode with the first sip, everything is light, crisp, fruity and interesting. Citrus first, graininess smooth things out at the backside, the flavor hits hard and then goes out as smooth as you could expect.. Fantastic, easily the best Saison I have had the pleasure of trying. Complex and very satisfying.

Mouthfeel: Right one with good co2 which coordinates with the ebb and flow of the flavors.

Drinkability: What can I say? This beer is executedly perfectly, balanced and delicious. I must try more from this brewery, just great.

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

Review moved from biere artisinale sur lie

Poured this one into my Duvel tulip. My first glass produced a 5 finger rocky offwhite cap. Definitely had the classic saison head. The body of this beer is a light gold w/ some haze from the yeast. This beer had a glow to it, similer to the flesh of a ripe peach. As I consumed the beer, my glass looked like it was full of soap suds. Perfect.

My first whiff hit me with lots of sour citrus. Lemon, tangerine, mixed in w/ some sweet candy. Lemonheads come to mind, w/ a little bit of earthyness. There is only a slight trace of funk present as the beer warmed up. With a little more of the funk the nose would've have been perfect, perhaps a bottle with some more age would develope a little more funkyness which I would enjoy. Neverthless, the smell is outstanding.

This is the most sour saison I have ever had. Lots of citrus in the taste, a little tangerine and orange, but the lemon character was front and center in this brew. This beer finished w/ a little candy sweetness, again i'll reference lemonheads, w/ just a touch of spice at the end.

Lots of carbonation in this brew, seems to get softer and creamier towards the end of the bottle, had a light to medium body. This beer finishes really dry and leaves a sour bite all around my mouth. I couldn't imagine it getting much better.

For me this 8% saison is as good as it gets. It was sour, complex, refreshing and I have to regard it as one of the best beers I have ever had regardless of style.

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

Fantome is a true artisan ale that blows most Saisons out of the water. It pours a rich golden color and has a silky tan head with good lacing.

The nose has a good amount of barnyard funk and musky wood followed by sweet tropical fruit, tart citrus and spicy Belgian herbs.

The taste certainly does not disappoint. A blend of sour fruits, funky yeasts, peppery herbs and bready candy malts. Delicious.

Delicate yet full body is crisp and refreshing. Really another masterpiece from Fantome.

4.87/5  rDev +13.3%

Bought this at South Bay Liquor. Thanks Joey! Decanted from the bottle into an oversized wine glass. Pours a beautiful golden color with a two-finger head that dissipates into a thin layer. Aroma is funk, spice, lemon, and a candy-like note. Smells great. Taste is well matched with the aroma. A little funk at first, then plenty of lemon and candy, with a little herbal hop kick at the end. Delicious. Mouthfeel is on the thin side of medium, but smooth and refreshing. Saisons are generally easy for me to drink, and this one might be on the top of the drinkability list. Overall this beer is exactly what I wanted on a hot day and is excellent in general.

Fantôme Saison from Brasserie Fantôme