Fantôme Saison - Brasserie Fantôme

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Thrasher on 07-24-2002

Reviews: 795 | Hads: 1,778
4.87/5  rDev +13%

Fantome Saison off tap. How can I pass this one up. I've had it out of a bottle before, but this was a superb beer experience. The sweet nectar was poured off tap into a Fantome tulip glass. The beer was a beautiful oranged yellow color wtih a thick billowing head over top that didn't want to fall for anything. What a nose. Lemon, acid, slight pepper, grapefruity citrus. Damn. All I can say. Nirvana. The nose was great...the flavor was perfection. There is an underlying mandarin orange sweetness that is overlayed with huge lemony citrus acidity and peppery notes. There is a whole lot more going on in there, but I couldn't put pen to paper and give it justice. Suffice to say it was orgasmic. The feel was right below moderate, exactly where it should be. My only issue was that I was drinking it in the dead of winter, when I thoguht it should be a summer brew. The drinkability is second to none. I could have parked my glass under the tap all night and just drank this. If I ever find it, I will be forced to see if I can get a keg for home. I will actively seek this beer out whenever I can. (1,102 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +13%

Appearance: Pours a hazy honey, very little head or carbonation. Tiny suspended flecks ranging from white to black, and everywhere in between. Each successive pour becomes murkier and murkier.

Smell: Amazing aroma, lemon and lemon grass, funky yeast, tropical fruits (mango, pineapple, papaya), white wine sangria, sweetgrass, tobacco, citrus, lemon, clementines, orange, clove, pears, strawberries. Very mysterious and evolving.

Taste: There is so much going on, it morphs with each swallow. It starts out sweet, but turns sour (sour cider) and dry. Begs you to linger and not swallow - an easy feat with the low carbonation. Of course the funky yeas, then sweetgrass, cinnamon, lemon, citrus, and clementines.

Mouthfeel: A bit thin, but otherwise perfect.

Drinkability: Highly drinkable, will acquire another for the summer. Strangely thirst-quenching. (858 characters)

4.86/5  rDev +12.8%

BB end of January 2013.

Beer is a very cloudy light orange/golden/ A very fizzy and frothy white head dissipates extremely quickly. No lace.

Smell is divine. Huge peach, mango, green apple and lemon scents with a funky, grassy and crisp background. Floral notes. Wow!

Taste is also fantastic. Crisp fruit flavours (green apple, pineapple, peach, mango) with a nice, slightly sour funkiness. The funk has some of the 'horse-blanket' flavour and is rather grassy. The beer occupies some excellent space in between sweet and sour.

Medium bodied, nice moderate carbonation level comprised of tiny bubbles, giving life to the beer but no irritation to the mouth. A bit astringent.

Overall, just outstanding. A killer beer. A real treat to drink. I will be looking for more whenever I can. A total winner! (806 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Dom Perignon, upon first trying champagne, proclaimed, "Come quickly, I'm drinking stars!" Too bad for him he didn't try this Saison instead. This special bottle was brought out at the Toronado for a small group to share.

It poured the color of champagne with wonderfully bright, citrusy aroma but it's the taste--I'd swear there was strawberry essence in it--that makes this a phenomenal Saison.

Whether it's the yeast or the spirit of the Fantom, this is one to seek out. (475 characters)

750 C&C bottle

AP; A few fingers of head that fell off pretty quickly and left some lace behind, strong carbonation, hazy straw color (looks really inviting)

S; citrus, earthy, grapefruit, and some funkyness in there as well

T; Citrus, a little bit of funk, tanic bites that really open up the palet. So much more than just a saison.

M; Carbonation and the tanic acidity opens up the mouth to really enjoy the citrus and mild funk

D; I really wish I could drink this on a reagular basis. Not a session by any means, just a really exceptional beer. I would not refer to this as a sasion, this is very different. (615 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

750ml Bottle in a tulip glass.

Aroma- funky and sweet, citrus, cat piss, brett/sour/acids. lactic. tangy. incredible aroma.

App- clear. super fine haze. white head dissipates.

Taste- pineapple, mango and other tropical fruit. dry. citrus. crisp. acidic and tangy. amazing funk. very complex and pleasing. light caramel, very sweet malt but dry finish. waxy/chapstick. artificial strawberry. strawberry jolly rancher. cherry pie sourness (brett?)

Mouthfeel- dry, puckering tart. med to low carb. malty sweet but dry. mellow alc in mouth.

Overall- incredible. complex. this is one of my favorite beers ever. (610 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Simply one of my favorite beers, period, and hands-down my pick of the saison's, and the one's by which all others are judged.

Pours a rich, cloudy, copper/hay with smooth, thick head that clings for dear life down the glass (an oversize wine goblet).

The bottle I'm reviewing now is notably more rich in fruit than previous bottles! Pear, berries, fruity esters.. all abound in the nose. The hints of spice, if they really are there, are buried deep and I half wonder if they're more figments of my imagination from previous tastings.

The flavor again is loaded with fruit, although hoppy floral and citrus hints sneak in. There's an earthiness present the really deepens the flavor, this reminds me so much of wine it's, well it's not SCARY but it's something. Every sip brings out new flavors. Blackberry is there, the pear (peach?) rides high constantly, spice (primarily clove) is minimal as in the nose. This pairs perfectly with the pork tenderloin I'm serving.

In warmth I still detect only faint, faint hints of alcohol warmth, but never astringent, never invasive. The hops come out, too, but balance is never lost, and their presence never predominates.

Only just short of a perfect beer, but perfect for the style, and easily in my all-time pantheon of beers... the more saisons I drink the more I appreciate this beauty. (1,348 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Ooh, wow! Where has Fantome been all my life? Read much praise for this and it's hardly unwarranted.

Almost looks nothing like beer - more like the enchanting love-child of a Belgian blond and (hmm...) orange juice. Grainy, glowing golden-yellow. Nearly opaque with earthy organic lees. Delicate wispy head settling slowly into a sudsy outer ring. Spotty lacing.

Mellow spicy cider aroma with an equally present musty barn scent. Awfully enticing but perhaps ever-so-slightly too restrained.

Taste? There's quite a lot going on here and each element is spectacular. Once again, the cider-like flavors take center stage, but it's the fruitiness that's most complex and astonishing. Starting off with tart apple flavors, as it warms, it shows flashes of apricot and golden raisin and a bunch of syrupy bosc pear. The musty hay also plays a background role.

Hesitate to put it in this context, but on one hand this drinks like pear nectar mixed with a little bit of champagne. Not that that's at all undesirable. And I'm floored that, at 8%, the alcohol is nearly indiscernible. All in all, each sip is to be savored. Feels barrel-aged. While a mildly spicy effervescence greets the tongue, it immediately softens out into a velvety nectar, enveloping sweetly every inch of the mouth. The most full-bodied light saison-style I've ever had.

How can you not adore this creation? Perfect treat by itself or (I imagine) with roasted turkey and stuffing, or an arugula salad with blue cheese, dried cranberries, and toasted slivered almonds. I'm sure it goes well with quite many many other dishes. I will stop whatever I am doing, no matter how urgent, to drink this again and again. (1,682 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

The Black & White label says Fantôme Belgian “saison” beer.
1 Pint 9,4 fl.oz green glass bottle, corked with a crown cap.

The Cork was steadfast & really hard to remove, indeed a loud explosion & a deep grey misty fog signalled its difficult extraction.

Appearance: A massive egg-white frothy head masses above the beer as I pour the first glass. As I stand the bottle, still 2/3rds full, the head continues to form in the bottle, & a slowly expanding bubble-froth continues to ooze from the thinning bottle neck like flowing lava. Hazy golden orange in color, it has a strikingly marvellous appearance as the huge head rescinds it settles to about 2” - but only after lacing the Glass with a smattered random pattern. Each subsequent pour from the bottle produced an equally massive head.

Nose: Very fruity with some floral aspects. I got Apricots, mild Grapefruit, Apples, Pears, Peach & Orange aromas. These mix well with the Pilsener Malts that are used to produce a never forget Fantôme nose for lovers of this Artisanale craft-brewer.

Tastes: I first tasted the head of the beer, as I attempted to check its volcanic overflow from the bottle. The froth had a deeply bitter taste. The body is exceptionally fruity, sometimes sweet; this is probably from the fruit juices that are used. There is a light grain malt in the middle, fresh herbs & an overall spicy bitterness that come from the Hallertau & Goldings Hops. Bloody Hell this is superb!

Mouthfeel: How can you miss this one? It’s all here, “upfront, in yer face, and doing it large”. This is one serious beer.

Drinkability: 8% ABV yet it still makes a great thirst quencher in the warm weather - now that’s Class. So what can I say apart from just, “Five”.

Overall: Wonderfully Fruity, Hoppy, Bitter, Herbal, Terrifically Spicy, and all this is majestically fashioned into an Extraordinary, High Class, Complex, Multi-Layered, Regal Saison. Guaranteed to induce multiple orgasms. Oh, err, well maybe I made that last bit up!

An Artisanale Saison of the VERY highest Quality, a True Classic & an unrewarded (IMVHO) Great of the Beer World. Almost perfect.

So it’s typically Fantôme…..

….Absolutely **First Class**!!! (2,226 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Wow, great brew! I like Saisons, and this one is exceptional. Hazy, near copper yellow hued with a decent cap of foam that didn't last quite as long as I'd like. Aroma was a bit muted, but stillenticing. Malty sweetness and a bit of funky yeast behing a fruity, floral scent. Taste is amazing. Fruity, tart, sour, a touch of sweetness and a hint of grainy malt. I could drink this all night, 8% or not. (402 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

750 ml bottle capped and corked, no freshness dating. Poured into an oversized wine glass.

Poured a very hazy and almost opaque peachy color with thin slightly off white head with great retention. Tons of beads of carbonation race to the surface. Beautiful thick lacing.

Musty and bitter at first on the nose. Some earthy notes, mixed with some lemony or perhaps faint grapefruit notes. Peppery with some sugar sweetness and sweet fruitiness lingering in the back. Very complex nose, full or complementry aromas. Almost reminiscent of a dry white wines nose at times.

Dazzling amount of carbonation gently massages the toung.the beer has a round feel in the front,a medium body and a dry crisp finish. The alchohol is fairly well masked by the taste and only shows up as a slight warming sensation and a taste that is even more slight.

A complex barrage of flavors lurk within this Saison. There is some fruity sweetness comparable perhaps to strawberries with a hint of pineapple and maybe a bit of pear. Some grainy grassy notes. Spicy with heavy pepper flavors and some notes of perhaps ginger.

An absolutely fantastic beer, one to savor not just belt back. I'd love to try pairing this with a few different cheeses. An absolutely wonderful brew (1,258 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +12.3%

The best saison beer I have ever had, hands down.

Pour: Pours a cloudy golden color, with a fast rising head (in fact the bottle overflowed after I popped the cork).

Smell: funk, funk, hay, and gumball sweetness.

Taste: The taste was a marvelous balance of the Belgium funkiness, and hop sugar sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Coated the mouth, but had a really light feel.

Drinkability: I had the feeling that I could drink this 24 hours a day. The most drinkable beer yet. This is a thirst quencher.

Highly recommended. Wish I could get this for cheap (if so, this would become my tailgate, BBQ, everyday beer). (610 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +12.3%

750ml green bottle capped and corked. Easily managed white head is tight and leaves ant trail lace behind. Light and bright golden body. Fine carbonation.

Boquet of aroma fills the nose with lemony zest, barnyard hay, and a backend oranges and apples depth. Wow. First pull and I'm loving this thing. Mouthfeel pulls me in different directions. On one hand its zippy and vibrant with a lemony snap and a splash of alcohol. On the other it has enough clinging to the palate to complete every drink. Alcohol is nearly undetectable until I got to the bottom and felt a bit of warming. This is one outstanding offering and easily sets itself apart from the crowd.

Notes: This tastes every bit as good as its reputation. World class. (730 characters)

*Corked and capped 750 ml
*Fresh

Appearance: A somewhat less-than-overwhelming chalky yellow. The head, however, is out of this world, super thick, dense, puffy pure white with some of the thickest, most sticky lace I have ever seen. Unreal. Retention is great. The tiniest of tiny bubbles race from the "D" in the Duvel glass.

Smell: Ka-BOOM. Jeez, Louise, this is massive. Barnyard must, rainwater, honey, solvent, gardenia, mild pilsner hop, and an overall fruity sweetness so dense you could dip it out with a spoon.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Oh my, so, so, so nice. Fools you with an initial touch of buckwheat honey, but soon comes in hard with a lemon-lime tartness, and an otherworldly funky spiciness. The sides of the tongue register grapefruit rind, but the center finds a smooth fruit cocktail of sweetened citrus and mild white pepper. Finishes long and dry. Burps of honeyed spice. Mouthfeel is a bit on the heavy end of thin, a bit creamy, even, with perfectly restrained carbonation.

Drinkability: Oh dear lord, back up a tanker to my house and turn on the hose. This is what beer drinking is all about. One of the most drinkable saisons -- if not beers, period -- I've yet encountered. Scary good. (1,220 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +12.1%

A - Hazy golden orange honey color with a slightly below average sized white, bubbly, creamy head with good retention and a nice full, thin creamy lace left.

S - Funky lemony citrus and lemongrass aroma is prominent. Also a good amount of candied tropical fruit is in the background along with some spice (coriander prominent).

T - Similar to the nose. A good amount of fruitiness including, peach, mango, lemon, orange, and apricot amongst other golden and tropical fruit flavors. Zesty, funky, citrus flavors along with some grass, floral, and herbal taste. Reminds me of a warm spring day. Good amount of spices (especially coriander as well as some clove and pepper). Fair amount of yeast and malt comes out as well. Very complex and balanced flavors with some sweetness, some zestiness, some funk, and a touch of bitterness with none of them dominating the other.

M - Medium, starting to head toward full, body with slightly above average carbonation. Crisp and drying and slightly fizzy.

D - Very nice drinkability. Complex and balanced flavors make me want to drink more. Very crisp and refreshing. Very enjoyable to drink, I could drink it all day if not for the ABV (which is well hidden).

Notes: Very tasty beer. So complex but balanced. Spiced, sweet fruit, grassy floral and herbal, a touch of bitterness, and some funky zesty saison flavors. Truly nice beer, that reminds me of springtime. Wonderful beer that is definitely worth trying. (1,456 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +12.1%

750 ml bottle, corked and capped. This beer pours out a brilliant hazy orange color with a white head. The aroma is yeast, orange, coriander, and strawberry. Slightly tart flavor at first, then turns fruity, with strawberry, grape, orange, and lemon. This is the only beer I've ever had that tasted like strawberry. A bit musty. Finishes dry. Drinkability is outstanding. This beer is expensive - I paid $10 for this bottle - but it's one of my all time favorite beers. (469 characters)

Fantôme Saison
Brasserie Fantôme
Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale
ABV: 8.00 %

I have been hunting this brew for awhile now, and my buddy finally found one and brought one back from World Of Beer in south Florida for us to share. 3 of us shared the brew (the other 2 were non saison fans) and all of us enjoyed the brew. It surpassed my expectations, and I am a big Saison fan. One of my favorites to date.

Appearance was a very cloudy lemon/straw color with an fluffy bright white head that lasted the entire beer. Noticeable chunky sediment.
Aroma was not as strong as I expected, but still worked very well. Tart lemon/cirtus, apple cider notes, spices and a wee bit of funk - but still enjoyable for most.
Tastes exactly as it smells on a light Pils malt base, lemon shandy, apple cider, pils malt brew, a bit funky.... This beer could fool the masses for sure as some type of apple wheat lambic or something.
Mouthfeel is medium-full for a Saison in my opinion, high carbonation lightens the beer up without weighing you down.
Drinkability surpassed my expectations. Spot on to style, and one of my benchmarks Saisons IMHO. (1,129 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +12.1%

This beer was served to me in its correct "ghosty glass" at the Beer Circus in Brussels, Belgium. When the nice bartender told me that this was a big (75cl) bottle and asked if I needed 2 glasses, I politely said "no thanks....i'm taking this one on by myself:-)" Well, i'm glad that I did. This is a very "kick-ass" saison that is unfortunately unavailable to me locally (I can get 5 or 6 seasonal Fantomes but not the regular!?!?) This is a dark golden brew with a nice cap of white foam on top. The aromas are all across the board and definately in your face! I can smell various spices, candy sugar, yeast, hops, malt, fruits, and more. The taste is very hoppy, bitter, dry, fruity, juicy, spicy, and just GOOD. The mouthfeel is perfect, as is the drinkability. This is just a nearly perfect, if not perfect, Belgian Saison Beer!

(838 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +12.1%

A- quite cloudy and very bright. This is a lemon colored beer with a big fluffy white head. Very sexy looking.

S- Fruity with a slight Belgian barnyard funk to it. This is one good smelling beer. You know you are in for a lot of oranges, peaches and apples as well as some sourness.

T- As the nose implies. Slightly sour, just enough to make your glands twinge. Light as juicy fruits like lemons and oranges, pears, peaches and apples. This is one juicy and thirst quenching beer. Very Very exceptional.

M- Slightly puckeringly sour but not over done. Very juicy and thirst quenching, this would be amazing on a hot day.

D- If drinkability could be rated a 10 on this site I would mark it that high. This beer is simply amazing. One of my favorites Ive had all year. I was sharing this bottle but really wish I had one to myself. (833 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +12.1%

750ml bottle. there is a whole grid meant for date and bottling information, but none of it is marked or notched off. there are some numbers on the cork: 086/477044

poured into tulip.

golden amber straw color, with slight orange tint. only a slight haze (later pours had plenty of brown, cloudy yeast). decent head fades to constant thin layer. amazing lacing - a continuous curtain all the way down the glass.

fruity peach and apple aromas. hint of citrus zest, and very faint farmouse funk and yeast. spicy (clove?) with whiffs of phenols and more citrusy orange zest.

flavor has more peach and apple tones to the fruitiness, with spicy phenolic bite. similarly sweet is the toasted malt background. reminiscences of champagne. mild to moderate hop bitterness. phenols also meld with the farmhouse and yeast flavors. semi-dry finish with refreshing tart note in the aftertaste.

smooth, creamy (esp. with yeast in later pours). gentle carbonation gives both flash of crispness and overall body.

before this, i was only just starting to truly appreciate this style of beer. but it's now official - i LOVE saisons! (1,119 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +12.1%

Blurry gold chock full of swirling particulates. The cloud of solids varies from white (yeast?) to black (spices?) with every color gradation in between. The manilla colored cap is so thick, chunky, rocky and sticky that it looks like otherworldly. I don't know that I've seen another head, or lace pattern for that matter, that looks this rustic and this gloriously disheveled. Perfect for a farmhouse ale.

The tantalizing aroma is replete with lemon rind, sweetgrass, flower petals, indeterminate spices and the unmistakable funktang of Belgian yeast. Sorting out all of the individual aromas would take some doing, even if I knew what was actually in there. Are there any more mysterious, more intriguing aromas in all of beerdom than what one finds on well-brewed Belgian ales?

I've only had a few saisons (including one from this brewery), but this is far and away the best of the lot. Keeping in mind my relative inexperience with the style, there's so much going on in terms of flavor that I doubt my ability to adequately describe it. How can a beer be sweet, bitter, sour and dry all at the same time, as this one is? Not all at once, mind you, but each in turn as the flavor arc changes kaleidoscopically from start to finish.

For some reason, the mental image that keeps coming to me is a lush meadow in springtime. Sunshine, birdsong, wildflowers, grasses, a lemon-scented breeze. At the risk of sounding like a fool, that's what this beer tastes like. I have no idea what spices and herbs are present, but I do know that a multitude of them were used and that they were added with a heavy hand. Perfect choice by the brewer on both counts.

It's hard to imagine a more complex, yet a more accessible beer. I'm finding it an absolute joy to drink as I marvel at each mouthful in turn. Which of the swirling, intertwining flavors will I concentrate on this time? What new nuances will I discover? What could the brewers have added to get it to taste like this? Etc, etc, etc. The mouthfeel is airily, ethereally light, yet it has an underlying solidity that one can hold onto as surely as a pebble in one's palm. Another compelling contrast in what is already a fascinating beer narrative.

There couldn't be a greater disparity between what I would describe as my perfect beer and the beer sitting before me. That makes it all the more amazing that I like it as much as I do. It just goes to show what dedication, daring and a considerable amount of skill can accomplish. I love having my horizons expanded, so I couldn't be more thrilled that Fantome Saison has blown them wide open. (2,609 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

Sampled on tap at Gravity Head at Rich O's on 3-19-05 IN/KY BA Gathering. Arrives with a nice cloudy yellow color and hints of orange along with a fluffy, craggy white head that sticks in clumps to the side of the glass. Amazing tart lemon smell with hints of vinegar, clove and some earthy barnyard funkiness. I get a touch of green olives as well and a nice mellow white peppery spiciness. Damn!

First sip is a wonderfully tangy sweet/sour lemony vinegar flavor. Notes of spice throughout and plenty of earthy barnyard dirty hay flavors. So smooth and extremely enjoyable. There's a bit of granny smith apple in there as well...fruity, tart, sweet and bitter. It all works so damn well together. Great yeast flavors....just a freaking awesome saison. Lovely.

Mouthfeel is light and airy with a small bubbly carbonation. Goes down so well. Such a drinkable beer here...I could drink it all night. Highly recommended. I will be buying a bottle as soon as possible! (970 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured from a corked and capped bottle, with their typical goolish label. (Thanks Wolf) into a tulip glass. It poured a golden yellow and orange with an incredible head and significant lacing as it drops, sadly quicker than I would hope.

Smell is fresh and fruity and sweet with some yeasty funk to it. That continues right into the taste which is surprisingly more sour than sweet and that is probably opposite from the nose of it where sweet dominates. Probably the most funky sour saison I can remember drinking although balanced with sweet apples and spice.

Medium body and carbonation and well balanced sweet and sour which hides the 8% abv. The dry finish makes you want another sip right away.. which i kept doing until the bottle was empty :)

Great, great interesting beer. Was a delight to drink and looking forward to it again.

RESPECT (850 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

Thanks to neorunner for this bottle.

A: Hazy golden-yellow. Fine two-fingers of head that subsided with little lacing.

S: A bit of funk, lots of citrus - lemons and oranges. lavender and honey. Champagne yeasts

T: Tart lemons - almost lemonade like with green apples and pears. Faint saison yeast funks, but a dry champagne finish and a floral breathy aftertaste. A tiny bit of wheat in the aftertaste, but significantly less than that of other saisons.

M: Light to medium body, fine carbonation.

D: Extremely drinkable. The 8% is almost entirely hidden. There's a beautiful aftertaste of pollen and wildflowers on your breath. It is as if they took the best smells/aftertastes of a well made single-flower mead and transplanted it into a berliner-weisse.

This beer was fantastic. i'm almost certain champagne-yeast was repitched in this. The saison-yeast tastes were well hidden. This was the first one I've had in a quite a few years and it has not disappointed. I remember previous batches being sweeter, more candy-like, and without the champagne-like qualities. Either way, I'd have a taste of this every session if I could.

Bottle was dated best by May 2012, batch b. (1,183 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

After a bit of struggling, the cork releases with a resounding POP! Poured into my Ommegang cervoise. Shimmering gold with several hundred suspended particulates and a fluffy eggshell white head. Incredible aromas: mown hay, fresh strawberries, slight rubbery phenols, apple cider. Phenolic flavors surround a mouthfull of fruit: the aforementioned strawberries, tannic green grape skins, apple juice spiked with powdered ginger. Fine grassy hop bite at the finish. Clean, crisp mouthfeel; dry, despite the fruit-inflected sweetness. Less carbonation than perhaps I'd prefer. Medium-thin body. Sweeter than I prefer for a regular drinking choice, but a masterful saison all the same. (683 characters)

Fantôme Saison from Brasserie Fantôme