Join our email list →

Saison / Farmhouse Ale | 8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Thrasher on 07-24-2002

Reviews: 803 | Hads: 1,834
3.94/5  rDev -8.4%

I liked this beer very much. A nice looking beer with a great big head. Smell is lightly funky, and a little unforgivably skunky. The flavor is spicy, and sharply bitter, with just a little funk. The beer has a mouth feel very similar to champagne. I've got a feeling from the aroma that I might have been drinking a mishandled bottle. Getting a better is on my long list of beer-y things to do.

3.93/5  rDev -8.6%

Carefully poured. Hazy orange sunburst color with a meringue looking head on it that does not fall. Tiny bubbles are rising up everywhere inside the glass.

Smell is a mixture of earth, white pepper, lemon acidity and some other estery qualities. Taste is crisp and light while the acidity dances around your tongue. Orange/Grapefruit pith, white grape juice, with a very light grassy hopping. Finishes dry with a subsequent bitterness at the end. Really reminds me of a dry Chardonnay with a belgian phenolic spin to it. The alcohol is high and somewhat noticeable as expected.

I actually prefer Hiver as far as their distribution goes in the US for their more "basic" saisons. The flavor is a little bolder and cohesive with the same qualities as the regular saison. It's funny though that Hiver pretty much collects dust on the shelves around here.

3.93/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

my first fantome...
appearance: cloudy dark orange yeast thick brew with huge head that fades at a moderate pace, some lacing. the final pour has huge yeast chunks in it.

smell: mild brett smell. mild funk.

taste: very fruity pear and plum like yeast dance on the tounge. frankly it's more of standard belgian pale ale than of the saison style to me because it isn't dry or crisp enough. once I got used to it, it was quite nice on it's own terms. a slight, very slight twing of brett is to me found in the extreme backround. i'm not getting much complexity here though, just the sort of standard BSPA taste, but then there is a twang at the end that just sort of set's it apart. the final pour is the best, with the yeast completely smoothing things out.

mouthfeel: if judging this to be saison, it's way to thick. the christmas saison I had from Dupont last week was 9.5 and felt extremly thinner. good for a BSPA.

drinkability: ditto from the mouthfeel. A quite nice beer, i would get again, but then it was 12.50 a bottle and there are many saison's just as good and better out there.

note: i liked this beer, but it didn't conform to my expectations of a "saison" which I suppose is the mold set by Dupont. it was much thicker than I thought it would be when I was in the mood for a very dry, crisp beer and this wasn't that. just a warning for others, this is more a spring than summer beer, dig?

Tasted on 4/18/07
Appearance: Cloudy, orange, yellow
Smell: spicy, floral, yeasty
Taste: spicy, no alcohol despite the 8.00% abv, yeasty, light, a bit sour
Mouthfeel: A bit heavy on the palate for the style, creamy
Drinkability: Very drinkable for a saison. Nice

3.92/5  rDev -8.8%

Hazy orange with a gushing white head. Aroma is complex mix of sugary lemon, yeast, and flowers. Or something like that. Maybe some bubblegum. I'm tasting some bitter herb/spice jive and some yeast. There is something harsh here that I'm not into very much, but I can at least objectively identify it as some appropriately earthy/ acidic quality that some people really go for. But then again maybe it's an apple jolly rancher thing attached to some bitter yeast. Aroma was the best thing for me here. I'm sensing the serious flavor quality here, but only objectively.

3.92/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured a medium-golden color, even a bit hazy. Became even more cloudy with the introduction of some bottom of the bottle yeasties! Had a minimal head and lacing. Verry fruity nose, with grapey, white wine characteristics. Medium bodied, and quite bubbly and spritzy on the tongue. Taste was again fruity, grapey, and very champagne-like. Enjoyable flavors, with a tart finish. Enjoyed as part of an impromptu sampling session with Artied2 and JohnnyP...with the the latter providing the samples! Thnx, Bro!

overall: 3.85
appearance: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | mouthfeel: 3.5 | drinkability: 4

3.92/5  rDev -8.8%

Was convinced by the guy at the liquor store to pick this one up. I'd thought about it for a while, and am happy I shelled out the $13 for the 750 mL bottle.

Poured gently into two pilsner glasses. Beautiful head that faded into fine lacing fairly quickly. The color was a cloudy yellow-gold that looked inviting.

I took a big whiff of this beer, and wow. The ratings on here (I gave it a 2) say "not impressed" but that is far from accurate. I *was* impressed, but more by its amazing funk! At first I thought I might have a bad bottle. Stale sweat and shoes punched me in the face. Then something else, a subtle undercurrent, managed to make me think there was something worthwhile to this beer.

The first taste proved quite sour, but as the beer warmed, I began picking up amazing things, just a rush of complexity. This beer is absolutely delicious. Too many spices and herbs for me to decipher the riddle. I did detect apples, and roquefort cheese upon exhaling through the nose. Throughout the glass it just got more amazing. I never tasted any of the sweat or shoes I smelled at first. I supposed over time, I could be convinced this beer smells good, much like a stinky soft cheese. But I think that would be merely Pavlovian, just a drooling response to how good the beer tastes.

The beer was very smooth to drink, not chewy at all, and I would love to have another one right after the first. The relatively high alcohol might have something to say about that eventually.

3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

Stumbled onto this one randomlly, been wanting to try it so picked it up.

A - A hazy yellowish orange color with a huge head. Nice retention with a decent cap left, lots of sediment floating in the bottom.

S - Some funk, grassy smell, with some lemon zest and a bit of citrus. There are a lot of smells in this one.

T - I am not a huge fan of saisons, and while this is good, it is nothing I ever care if I have again. Bit of sweetness from fruit, quite grassy with a bit of barnyard funk.

M - Nice carbonation in heavier side of light bodied beer. Good for the style.

D - Had trouble doing the whole bottle, although it is a big bottle. This is a good saison but like with most, just not blown away.

3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours like champagne. Big fizzy white head. Reduces to a thin film in a minute. Murky golden orange in color. On the nose I get some bready tones, a blend of herbs and spices and yeast. Pretty nicely carbonated mouthfeel. Body is light. Taste is unlike other Saisons I've had. Very spicy and tart in the mouth, but not bad. It kind of grows on you. A little bit of an acidic tinge. I get a sour apple like taste. One that makes you pucker rather than wince. (And unlike the sour apple associated with a "green" beer.) I'm not sure what kind of spicing they use (if any), but maybe something like cinamon or bitter orange peel (curacao). Interesting beer, but not something I'm going to shell out out $6 a bottle for.

3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

Best Before End: "d November 2016"

Decanted from a 750mL green bottle into a huge German stein, left the yeast sediment in the bottle. Used the stein to give myself small pours into a proper glass.

Carbonation is moderate, similar to Saison Dupont, but with a less rocky less impressive head.

Almost nothing on the nose from my glass, from the empty bottle tangerine is noted.

Hops are not prominent. Tangerine and grapefruit esters are forward, alcohol is not tasted but is felt. Grapefruit bitterness but not from hops, and a more delicate tangerine taste dominates the finish. Tartness is moderate.

Overall, I prefer Saison Dupont for its delicate approach and pear-ester character. This one is more astringent due to the grapefruit flavour. Reminds me of Petrus Old Pale.

vintage 1999 thanks to brent

pour was a brownish reddish color with hints of orange

very musty with light funk and dark fruit

very musty up front again. tastes like it has been stored for some time, as it has been. the funk is fairly strong with a very strong cherry flavor in the finish. first few sips i was thrown off but then this became quite good.

moderate carbonation, slight dryness.

this was very interesting and hands down the oldest saison ive ever had. i would love to have more of this. the cherry flavor was amazing.

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bottle from a recent batch purchased February and consumed April 15. Pours a clear gold color with thin head and lacing.

Nose of bready malts, grain, pepper and a floral/herbal character.

Taste is of fairly clean malts up front and some orange-citrus sweetness. Then it fades into bitter grapefruit and morphs into an ashy, astringent finish. I get some mild herbal flavors such as lavender and grass.

Mouthfeel is excellent with fine, creamy carb. Less carbonated than previous 'tomes.

Every bottle of Fantome I have tried seems a little different. This one is more straightforward. It has rewarding qualities yet parts are still challenging, especially with the ashy finish. As it got a little warmer and as I got towards the bottom of the bottle, I enjoyed it more and more.

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

The long-running top-ranked beer in my favorite style. Recently supplanted by a HF one-off, but I'll probably never try that. So here we go! Best before end July 2013. Tasted 16 November 2012, reviewed from notes.

Pours a pale golden color. Not quite clear, like looking through frosted glass. A wide column of bubbles rising up. Two fingers of fluffy white head. Okay retention, not much lacing.

Smell is intriguing. Fruity and flowery. Quite flowery, as I continue to smell it. Lightly sweet, with a soft crispness. Funk is in the background, but rises up more with warmth. Just a bit of spice. I like it.

Taste is funkier and spicier, still with plenty of fruit. Balanced and interesting, but I want more from it. Drifts from sweet like a riesling to a dry bitter in the finish - a surprising transition.

Mouthfeel is top-notch. Medium-bodied, with a ballooning feeling that I always have a hard time describing - like it's expanding off my tongue to fill up my mouth. Tingly carbonation to start out, becomes more mellow as it goes.

Very nice beer. Not the best saison I've had, but definitely up there. In the balanced group for the style, with no element really standing out, though it's definitely a shade towards the fruity side.

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

Light gold color. Medium head. Aroma is barnyard and yeasty. Medium body. Yeasty and somewhat barnyard-ish. Slightly sour. Well balanced. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. Yet another nice Biere de Garde from Fantome, one of the funkeyist brewers on the planet.

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

Have not had this in a while....pours into a chalice wiht a small 1cm head.

nose is very fruity, almost fig-like, yeasty, almost a hint of bitterness or sourness in it as well. Somewhat barnyard, reminds me of the saison series from the brewery that makes darbyeste, etc.

taste is quite bitter and slightly sour, almost too bitter. Barnyard taste, musty and leathery and grassy, makes me think of a barn, literally. .some complexity here is missing compared to his other beers, though as far as style, this is an excellent saison.

The more bitter elements are dulled quickly by the palate, and this beer becomes far too easy to drink at 8%.

3.87/5  rDev -10%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml. Effervescent gold pour, but doesn't billow up out of control like some. Nice white cap sets and maintains well.

Aroma, fills the entire area as soon as I pop the cork. It is pungent, lemon zest, green apple, cider vinegar. Slightly less hay and horse blanket.

Taste, crisp pineapple, candy apple. A tartness that is just barely lemon zest. Not as powerful as the aroma. Very nice, but like the appearance, very under control. Kind of just sweet and tart like a certain candy.

Lively crisp carbonation is spot on. Goes down terribly easy. Almost sessionable, aside from the well hidden abv and availability. Probably the bench mark, but a little too middle of the road for me. Would be curious to try an older bottle.

3.86/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured this 1 pint 9.4 oz. green bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet glass. Best before date panel was not notched. I have had this bottle for 6 months. Corked and capped. No pop when opened but the cork was in good condition. When gently poured I received a rich golden, slightly hazy body and a bright white cap of head. Soapy lace clings to the side of the glass. My last pour created a huge head that lingered.

Smell was fruity and sweet. Not as "farmy" as I anticipated. Hard candy breath. Stale bread aroma.

Taste was rich sweet malts. Apple flesh. Hints of apricots and pears. Nice and tangy. Bread dough. Sweet-tarts. Belgian yeast richness surfaces in the last pour. The addition of some yeast improved the complexity. Pleasant bittering aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was medium to full-bodied. Minimal carbonation. Somewhat slick in the mouth. This actually tasted more like a Belgian Strong Pale Ale rather than a Saison. I really didn't experience any funkiness or spritzy carbonation.

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

appearance: light, golden amber, pale, nice thick head.

smell: hmm, kinda spicy, gingery perhaps? also a floral fruity bouquet to follow.

taste: wow, being that this was my 1st saison i wasn't sure what to expect, but man was this a shock to my taste buds. i got a slam of fruit and spices that was almost overwhelming at first. very nice hint of hops, light malt, and the delicate taste of booze.

mouthfeel: light, crisp, and bubbly. sweet dry finish. very refreshing

drinkability: i wished i had another on hand.

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

Like a Dupont with some spices thrown in and the two did not match. Too much carbonation a la Eno effervesent salts. Actually was more tasty when left for a few hours and just get the taste. Significant cinammon sediment at end. Citrus and bitter sour bit lambic. In fact like sour cider. Didn't like the spices all that much.

I had again at Mondial 2005 and it was much better. Big head!

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

1 pint 9.4oz bottle served in an oversized wine glass. Best by dates were not notched.

A- hazy golden hue, white head with some good lacing that persisted

S- skunky, earthen yeast, lemon citrus, faint apple

T- honey, light sugars, lemon/orange citrus, earth, clove, pepper/spices, tart, dry bitter finish

M- light to medium, not too much carbonation, coats the tongue and mouth

D- good. alcohol slightly noticable but not detracting. complex. starts sweet and ends bitter/dry. was expecting more earthiness. one bottle was good for me in a sitting, but will drink again.

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

Poured from magnum into Chimay chalice.

A - Very cloudy and murky orange haze with minimal head. Lacing is moderate.

S - Very sour fruit with strong yeast scent. Nice biscuity aroma with slight alcohol zip.

T - Mouth puckering sour yeast with nice malt sweetness. This one really makes your palate reel as sour is main sensation with a bit of peppery spice.

M - As above, sour pucker that stings lips and pleases minds.

D - Gets stupid sour as it warms, and the alcohol becomes more evident. Not my favorite saison so far.

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

Tip: let this breath and warm up a bit before serving.

Pours cloudy, orange/golden with high carbonation. Nose is tangy, brett champagne funk, with some nice belgian esters and phenols. Flavor is slightly tart melon, though a bit thin, a phenolic finish, with a lingering tang on the mouth.Mouth is refreshingly bubbly like a champagne. Finishing the bottle is no problem; purchasing another is.

Overall I'm lightly underwhelmed based on the reputation. It is enjoyable but it doesn't really work for me. I see it like this: I enjoy lemonade, and I enjoy water, but water with a few lemons in it is the worst of both worlds. Fantome lacks the enjoyable tartness of the lambics.

3.84/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from bottle labeled best by July 2013 into a tulip glass.

A. A light pour nets a finger of bubbly, fizzy head that quickly dissipates to a ring around the top. The body is the color of apple juice. No real lacing noted.

S. The fist impression is of apple cider, but the smell of champagne quickly takes hold of your attention. Finishes off with a slight funkiness.

T. A funky grape flavor similar to a white wine starts off the flavor experience. Slips into a sour apple cider flavor with a dry apple aftertaste. A pear flavor becomes apparent in the aftertaste after a bit of warming.

M. Holy carbonation Batman! Its a medium bodied beer but the carbonation really bites your tongue starting out.

3.82/5  rDev -11.2%

A murky yellow orange beer with a big head that collapses after several minutes and leaves some nice lacing.

Smell is citrus and tart with some musty and funky Brett smells. Some green apples. There is a hoppy smell, but this dominated by the tartness.

Taste is complex and so to speak really Belgian, a tart funkiness of the yeast or Brettanomyces, that also gives the beer a fruitiness of apricots and tart fruit. This sourness really dominates the beer and every other taste comes in second or third. OK, there is a hoppy note but I am not sure if this citric hoppiness is just caused by the hops or in conjunction with the yeast or bacteria. Drinkability is not great, the sourness is really getting in the way.

I am not a big fan of sour/tart beers, but I think this beer is a nice example of a beer where the sourness balances the beer and makes the beer not acidic, but 'fresh'.

3.82/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Relating with a new bottle, corked and capped from Tipples. This is the rating that the score reflects. Pours slightly hazy yellow with a big fluffy white head. Musty funky yeast aroma, hay, light grassy hop, sweet fruits like apples. Flavor follows with light hay and grass, a little pilsner like malt, some apple fruit and lemon peel, funky yeast, and some wheat on the finish. There is an interesting flavor in here that I can’t identify any more than some vague spice. Light bodied with medium to high carbonation z much better than the last bottle and very different from anything else I have had but a nice changeup for the spring and summer weather.

Old rate: Poured from bottle into a tulip. Hazy orange color with a fluffy white head that dissipates quickly. Aroma is bandaids and more bandaids. Am I at the doctor’s office? Flavor is more bandaid funk with some hints of fruit and spice. God this is effing awful. Light mouthfeel with adequate carbonation. I hope this is a bad bottle, otherwise I have lost all faith in ratings...

Fantôme Saison from Brasserie Fantôme