Fantôme Saison - Brasserie Fantôme

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Thrasher on 07-24-2002

Reviews: 792 | Hads: 1,753
4.62/5  rDev +7.2%

This poured to a bright and solid mix of yellow and gold. The head is of moderate size and lace is minimal.

It smells like there's noble hops in here. Light pepper and spice hints come through in the smell, and it goes along very well with the other characteristics of the style. The taste brings excellent combinations of fruit, spice, and malt in different layers. The mouthfeel is brilliant and drinkability is outstanding. (429 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -7.9%

The beer poured into an oversize wine glass a bright gold, very hazy with a thick white head that receded quickly into the glass. The smell has bread dough, grapefruit, and a couple of layers of spice. The finish on the nose has more orange than grapefruit. The taste has a pleasant tanginess up front delivered in the form of the citrus. The spiciness I detected in the aroma blends into sweetness delivered by the malt. The yeast/bread dough character disperses all together in the flavor. Finish has a mild peppery bite that lingers and blends with the alcohol to generate a little heat. The mouth feel is light and slick and helps to produce a decent drinakbility. (668 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +14.6%

Presentation: There it is, the elusive Fantôme Saison, sitting right in front of me. 750ml champagne style green bottle, corked and capped. A ghost is on the on the label and on the back is a blurb about the Fantôme and not giving it secrets to what makes this brew so special.

The cap was larger than your ordinary bottles. It took 3 different bottle openers before we could find one that would work. Second was the cork underneath. That cork is in there really tight. My friend wanted to show off and use his two prong ah-so wine opener for this beer. It was quite a struggle. As soon as the prong wedged past the cork breaking the seal, the bubbles were building fast. It was a long struggle to get it out, way tighter for that wussy two prong opener could handle. After what felt like an eternity, the beers was coming out of the bottle, past the narrow little hole the prong had made, but the cork was out.

Appearance: Poured a very cloudy dark mustard orange. A ginormous(yeah, it was gigantically enormous) off-white head forms. Even trying to sneak it down the glass, the height of the head alone was a lot taller than the beer sitting in the bottom of the glass. Excellent retention and the lacing just coats the entire glass with its spectacular head. Even after a few minutes the head was still strong, rock steady and "egg crating". Tons of carbonation, hundreds of little champagne bubbles just streaming endlessly from the bottom of the glass. Nearing the end of the bottle, as I was drinking it out of the glass, a layer of yeast had settled down to the bottom.

Smell: A myriad of fruity aroma. Coriander with some mild clove phenols. Yeasty, spicy, peppery, and some orange-rind. The malt is faint, with just a touch of horse blanket.

Taste: High carbonation, but doesn't sting the tongue like a soda. Wonderfully complex, light and airy. Starts off with this sweet malt and fruit. A touch of that Belgian funk gives it another dimension to the taste. Strong phenols midway with a light citrusy tartness in the bone dry finish.

Notes: The best saison I've ever had. Its a lot more balanced that other saisons that I have had, just perfectly blended malt, hops, spices, and funky yeast. Amazingly drinkable, even though its warmed up way past it serving temperature. So light I could drink this on a hot summers day. The 8% ABV not detectable in the smell and taste. This beer is truly ethereal. (2,427 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

Golden hazed orange with 1/2" foamy in a wide mouth goblet leaves some lattice. Yeasty scrod chunks with the 2nd pour.

Horse blanket barnyard hay musty attic. Phenolic bananas and sweaty socks.

First swigs: Airy musty light meadow earthy dandelion. Green leafy and anise notes. Dry aftertaste. Skunky good cabbage. Lime hints.

Light as air fluffy. Bit skunky.

Last swigs: 8.0 % ABV is masked and cloaked. Skunky socks good. 99/4.31 (443 characters)

Reviewed from notes.

Enjoyed as a 4oz sample at the Belgian Beer Fest 2004. An excellent beer. Pours a very bright gold, with lots of particulate yeast. Taste is excellent for the style, light and smooth, with citrus undertones and lots of malt. Very spicy aftertaste. Lots to like here. Fun to drink, an excellent saison. (325 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

Sampled on tap at Gravity Head at Rich O's on 3-19-05 IN/KY BA Gathering. Arrives with a nice cloudy yellow color and hints of orange along with a fluffy, craggy white head that sticks in clumps to the side of the glass. Amazing tart lemon smell with hints of vinegar, clove and some earthy barnyard funkiness. I get a touch of green olives as well and a nice mellow white peppery spiciness. Damn!

First sip is a wonderfully tangy sweet/sour lemony vinegar flavor. Notes of spice throughout and plenty of earthy barnyard dirty hay flavors. So smooth and extremely enjoyable. There's a bit of granny smith apple in there as well...fruity, tart, sweet and bitter. It all works so damn well together. Great yeast flavors....just a freaking awesome saison. Lovely.

Mouthfeel is light and airy with a small bubbly carbonation. Goes down so well. Such a drinkable beer here...I could drink it all night. Highly recommended. I will be buying a bottle as soon as possible! (970 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +10.9%

Presentation: Large bottle, capped and corked, pours apricot, orangy amber, cloudy.,Head is reserved, light, airy, tiny bubble, white.Leaves classic lacing, fine, well developed and stringy

Nose: Funky,musty, earthy,horse blanket, barn yard, flowery, peppery..

taste: A rainbow of flavors and assualts on the senses. Spice, fruit,anise, citrus, fresh hops, sour, tart, intrigue in every sip...COMPLEX

Mouthfeel: smooth and lucious, drying late.

Drinkability; exceptional creation, wish I bought two bottles. Worldclass, gonna buy more and enjoy it with my next BBQ

(how can anybody drink Middle of the road brew after sampling this nectar of the gods??) (668 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +13.5%

Mustard resins and wildy overripe dough aromas rise from this whitish orange pour. The head isn't too showy, resolving to a thin sheet in less than a minute. Penetrating the deep yeasty aromatic core are grassy, briny notes. Scented of moist cakes too, there is an approximately perfect balance between sweet and savory in this beer -- though on the nose at least, savory seems to be in charge.
On the palate it's different. Vigorous schnizzle is dulled with chewy textures and flavors reminiscent of juicy, rich breads and jams of apricot and marmelade. Slatey, powdery pepper flavors keep the finish serious, though not perfectly dry.
A ton of white stone fruits flavors, a ton of yeasty earthiness, and a ton of youth and vigor. Its a wonder this is so balanced. It's like Duvel or Fin du Monde from the bowels of the earth. It's like Dupont with chunks of pineapple and apricot in it. It's a baby.
Give it a few months to mature still. (944 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

Appearance: Pure white head, golden completely opaque body with masses of floaties. I hope those are yeast floaties and not someone's dandruff.
Smell: Fermenting hey, lemongrass, skunky gueze.
Taste: Complex. Drying grapefruit. Mild wheaty grapefruit. For all the yeast floaties, there is very little yeasty taste. Very dry, tart, and peppery.
Mouthfeel: Very mild carbonation, fine acidity.
Drinkability: Mild and well balanced. (434 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

This one seemed appopriate for review #200 after reading my man GClarkage's review.

Appearence: Pours a nice golden color with a thin, splotchy white head that stays and stays and stays. THe clarity is a little less than desirbale, but definitly acceptable.

Smell: The spicy and peppery notes make me think it's a Tripel. Does my nose decieve me? Has all the characters of Tripel, only a little more intense. Is this the little brother of a Tripel? I guess the Golden Monkey goblet was a good choice.

Taste: The flavor is incredibly sour, with the biggest dry lingering aftertaste in the world. The huge fruit notes really make the sourness even more intense. There a few sweet notes as I get down the beer, but are not in focus. The balance of this beer is truly superb, but the sourness is a bit too much.

Drinkability and Overall: While I really enjoyed this beer, I'd have to say that lemony sourish presence was really a kick in the pants. All the other flavors are gorgeous, but I just can't past that sour! Maybe I just haven't developed the palate for it, seeing as how this is my first Saison.

And a quick note: I want to thank the Alström Bros. and all the members here at BA. We have a wonderful thing going here. You've all helped me discover things I never would have on my own. This is my 200th review, and 190 of the beers I reviewed so far I never would have tried if it weren't for everyone of you out there. Thanks guys, you rock. (1,467 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a peach-tinged straw color with lots of carbonation and a huge frothy white head that leaves quite a bit of film and lace. Smells of peppery spices with sweetly floral tones, yeast, and a bit of horse-blanket sourness. Flavors are a delicate intermingling of peppery spice, floral notes, and strong finishing dry sourness. The tastes are very well balanced and remain interesting all the way through the bottle. Excellent champagne-like mouth-feel. Quite light and drinkable to the last drop. (498 characters)

Your senses resonate with Fantome. Spun lavender candy aromas spring from a pillow capped rousing yellow. Immediately dry and tart and lush, a childhood memory inducing drug that will keep your brain dancing while there is still liquid left in the glass. It's difficult to believe a high percentage of alcohol when a bottle drains so quick. Required drinking for anyone that says they like beer. (395 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -8.4%

1 Pint 9.4 fl.oz bottle.

I want to start off by saying that the cork was nearly impossible to remove. No, it wasn't just "tough" to get out..and no, I didn't have a crappy corkscrew.. the cork was simply falling apart. I don't know if it was an old bottle or a bad cork or what, but it took me and a couple friends a good 10 minutes trying to get the bad boy out without it crumbling into the bottle. Luckily, we eventually succeeded without any remnents being dropped in (or any noticable pieces, anyways).

Appearance: Pours a velvety, cloudy yellow color.. looks like white wine, actually. Pure white head with decent carbonation as well. The head retention is better than i expected and leaves lacing in sheets on the glass.

Smell: Definite sweet, fruity aroma of grapes, apples, raisins, grapefruits, etc.. Quite complex.

Taste: Spicy & tart to say the least. Bittersweet, fruity esters are in full force. This saison definitely reminds me of a white wine. Not a bad thing, just very unique. I've only tried a handful of saisons and this is the best so far. Not something really to my exact tastes, but I'm sure this style will grow on me as I like the flavor and complexity.

Mouthfeel: Light-to-medium bodied. Dry finish.

Drinkability: Best thing about this brew (in my opinion) is that it's a great warmer. Between the large bottle, the bittersweet taste, and 8% ABV, this beer is definitely something to enjoy. I shared it with a friend but could have easily drank this myself (and almost wish I would have). (1,533 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

Hazy, pale golden color. Thick white fluffy head. Decent head retention. Good lace on the sides of the glass. Notes of citrus, earth, leather, and must. Pale malt flavor combined with a sharp sourness, some pepper spices, and funkyness. Light body, high carbonation. Very complex, lots of very interesting flavors here that work together very well. Even with all of the complexity, very easy to drink. Very unique and tasty. I will certainly seek more of the Fantome! (467 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

One of the bottles tasted at our Greensboro tasting Saturday,poured a hazy yellow with some orange tint with a nice fluffy/sticky head.Very lemony aroma it really jumped out up front along with a clovey spiciness,alot of refreshing flavors going on alot of citrus,lemons and orange mainly but I also detected some green apple as well along with some pepper but not nearly as peppery as some others of the style.A top notch saison thanks to the mother in law for bringing it down here for me so I could share it with others. (523 characters)

4.11/5  rDev -4.6%

A hazy straw yellow with a huge billowy white head, consistantly beautiful all the way through. Smells of strawberries and lemons, spicy and very tart, dandelions and crabgrass. Flavor is of citrus, peppermint, and ginger. Finishes dry with lime and lingering spices. Highly carbonated yet not harsh - just alive. Whipped heavy cream. This is cool, complex, and funky. (368 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

01/08/05- Purchased at Dreager's in San Mateo, CA

Presentation- 750ml champagne style with a slapped on Fantome label. Freindy looking ghost with a devious smile on his face. No freshness date. Poured into my Duvel glass.

Appearance- Fat creamy pock marked white head. At least 2-3 inches. My Duvel glass filled perfectly twice from the one bottle. Literally watched the head on my glass slowly, oh so slowly melt away over 10 minutes. It was like time lapse photography. Slowly one chunk popped and disappeared while the head finally settled at about 3/4 of an inch. Awesome golden cloudy liquid with massive and I mean massive amounts of chunks floating around looking for lifevests. Just looking at the bottle unopened in the light you could see yeasties in action all over the bottle. Half heading one direction and half headed the other. They were all over the place. In words of the Nuge..."It's a Free for All"!! I swear it looked like thousands of little spermies in all out battle to choose between Natalie Portman or Paris Hilton's ovary. Needless to say, lots of action going on in this bottle. Guess that's my own little sick beer fantasy. OK, I know, beer...focus! Finally as I pour the remaining chunks of yeast into the glass it leaves little rust color trails in the head of my beer. My beer is starting to look like and orange and cream popsicle!!

Smell- Before I smelled it, I looked at several reviews and I guess I was looking at a different Fantome variety. The main reason is that I thought I was supposed to smell farmyard and horse blankets and feremented urine and wet tar paper..etc, etc, etc. The first thing that hit me was lemons. And I meen sour ass lemons. Maybe rotting sour lemons. Not a bad smell, but an extrememly intense smell. There may have been some other scents also such as white grapefruit and or some tangelos or something of the sort. The overall scent was sourness and a bit musty. Never have smelled anything like it. At first it was weird and kinda crude, but after I consumed the saison it turned into an obsession of taking whiff after whiff before each sip.

Taste- So much stuff going on here. This was my first saison type beer, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. At first taste it was a little more sour than I thought it was going to be. I thought, lambic? But as I kept sipping away I found lots of different tastes. I found white pepper and maybe a bit of corriander like in a witbier. I found hops and I found a decent amount of grain. I am still tasting pilsner like grain tastes in my mouth as I finish my second bottle in 12 hours. Not super sour like a good lambic or a flanders type, but just enough to...well, be perfect. The one thing I love is that unlike a lambic that stays super sour (I literally have to chase each sip with a shot of water because it's so sour), this type starts out light sour and finishes with a normal water based taste and leaves your mouth a bit dry making you want more.

Mouthfeel- Light mouthfeel on the carbonation, but as you consume more and more you sense that it is heavier than at first. Bitter and sour at first, but dry on the finish. As I said before, it leaves you wanting more and more and more.

Drinkability- I had a nice beerfest yesterday while watching the first playoff football games and consumed about 6 bombers with other BA member Spinlock. Fortunately it was my first beer that I had, so it was clear that I really enjoyed it, but when I woke up this morning I couldn't stop thinking about this beer and had to buy another today and try it to really give a 100% acurate rating. I was thinking of giving it straight 5's (that would have been a first for me), but wavered a bit on the appearance and the mouthfeel. Overall it's an incredible beer that I will be having many more times in my future. I am getting married in September and am narrowing down my list of beers to bring with me. This will be one of them and it may very well be the one on the main table getting consumed as everyone toasts at my wedding. It's not an everyday beer though. This to me is a special occasion beer. This falls in the same category of Stone RIS for me. It's too good to have for just any random beer craving. A most awesome crafted beer that has gained a big spot in my heart. Worth $10?? Hell yes. If any of you are wine lovers, take this into consideration. A great bottle of wine will run you typically at least $30-40 minimum. This is a truly great beer and runs you $10 on average if you can find it. This is worth the money. Seek it, buy it, drink it and savor it. (4,594 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +5.6%

Had this on tap at Rich O's Public House. Pours a cloudy cloudy orange color with a tall white head that had great retention and left nice lacing - in a Fantome tulip glass. The aroma was big. Lots of orange, lemon, spice, pepper, with that strange funky smell that Fantome is known for. Very nice. The flavor was very complex. Lots of orange and lemon with some spices. The carbonation has a great presence in the flavor. Easy to drink and perfect on the body. Wonderful brew. (477 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +13%

Fantome Saison off tap. How can I pass this one up. I've had it out of a bottle before, but this was a superb beer experience. The sweet nectar was poured off tap into a Fantome tulip glass. The beer was a beautiful oranged yellow color wtih a thick billowing head over top that didn't want to fall for anything. What a nose. Lemon, acid, slight pepper, grapefruity citrus. Damn. All I can say. Nirvana. The nose was great...the flavor was perfection. There is an underlying mandarin orange sweetness that is overlayed with huge lemony citrus acidity and peppery notes. There is a whole lot more going on in there, but I couldn't put pen to paper and give it justice. Suffice to say it was orgasmic. The feel was right below moderate, exactly where it should be. My only issue was that I was drinking it in the dead of winter, when I thoguht it should be a summer brew. The drinkability is second to none. I could have parked my glass under the tap all night and just drank this. If I ever find it, I will be forced to see if I can get a keg for home. I will actively seek this beer out whenever I can. (1,102 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +10.7%

I'm very glad I finally tried this. What a unique brew! The prominent aroma and flavor I detected was apples (but not overdone, like the ephemere). Huge, spritzy head. Foam and lacing right to the last drop. High carbonation, but not enough to detract. Quenching, and great with the veal and white eggplant with garlic that we had for dinner (my wife loved it also). I followed with one of my favorites (Hennepin), and the Fantome was better. Can't wait to get more! (466 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +3.5%

Being a quasi-vegetarian, my mates had quite a hoot when they found out this beer was brewed in Soy, Belgium. "What's next man, an IPA from Tofu, Belgium?"

This beer was the most carbonated thing i've ever come across. The cork whoosed out and an insane amount of pillowy head blew all over my kitchen carpet. Once it calmed down, its head was simply huge and almost uncontrollabe, yet there were no signs of infection on the taste.

Bronzed gold with wild particulate matter everywhere. More sludge than i've seen in a beer. The effusive head was surrealistically multitiered.

A few barnyardy smells rise to my nose as well as slightly skunky hay. With warmth come earthy clove, sour apple, and candied sugar destroyed by a residual spruciness.

The taste is downright amazing and a good personal introduction to the style. Fruits, tart white wine, slightly astringent medicinal alcohol, enamel robbing dryness. Vinous tastes hit first, followed by a cacophony of barnyard, interlocked blissful booze and sugar, then the smooth twang of malt, hop, and cloaked booze.

Not slick or thick ... almost refreshingly stark with a final push of aged hoppiness. None of the residual sweetness that kills the drinkability of many Dubbels and Quads. This one kept me coming back for more, more, until the bottle was well gone.

Fantastically eye-opening. (1,362 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've been anticipating this one. Appears a bright almost neon yellow color, very hazy and with a huge puffy head. The aroma is challenging. Is this what everyone means by "barnyard"? Definately smells dirty. Like dirt. Yet there is a nice spicyness and ripe fruity underbelly. Taste is very subtle. Hints of lemon, hints of spice, hints of dirt sprikled on top, hinting hinting hinting. I think it could use a bit more punch to be honest, nothing really stands out, but maybe that's the point of this beer. Complex indeed. Ultra smooth mouthfeel, fairly light bodied in my opinion. Highly drinkable, don't even notice a trace of the %8 ABV. I'll have to try some more Fantome, as I am intrigued by this beer, but I'm not quite sure I understand it yet...

Edit: 4/14/05
So I've just gotten really into Fantome and when I first tried it I really had no idea what I was getting into. Reading the above review is interesting. I just had the saison again last night and I taste so much more in it. SO good. Complex. A bit funky and horsey, refreshing, zesty, even a little sour. Nice and spicey, peppery, and yeasty. Love that sour kick too. My girlfriend loved it too, so much that she kept talking about it today. She never does that. I'm just glad that I can appreciate a beer like this when apparently I used to think "it could use a little more punch." Nah, the subtleties are where it's at for this beer. Nothing gets in the way or takes over and that's what makes all the tastes come together so beautifully. Yum. (1,519 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +5.6%

Lemony coriander aroma that's a bity spicy and earthy. Fluffy bright white head with a shiny mousse textured top leaves scattered noodles of lace. Hazy straw colored beer with streams of small bubbles rising slowly from the bottom. Lemony flavor is almost sour, but the beer remains fairly dry. A mild spicyness floats in midway followed by a mellow earthiness in the finish, which is even stronger with a burb. Nice solid body is light enough that it goes down easy yet thick enough to carry all those flavors. Lots of interesting mellow spices, and an underlying yeasty earthiness to this beer that make for a truely interesting beer. It's like there's something new every sip. I think I get the "horse blanket" thing, but I might take a drive out to the country tomorrow just to make sure. (792 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Oh tragedy, I was half way through a big bottle when I got a phone call and had to run out, but there's an interesting postcript that I'll get to later....

First off, as I said, a 750 ml bottle, poured into a Chimay goblet yields a big fluffy white beautiful head. The brew is bright and cloudy coppery orange and quite effervescent. Gorgeous.

The aromas are lime, bready barnyard, and a big hit of sparkley citric tang. It's excited to make my aquaintance. Likewise, I'm sure.

It's got a bitter front end, very persistant, which I love, and then a hearty spiciness in the middle before the dry finish. Mmmm. Together with a wonderful juicy, chewy, spritzy mouthfeel, it travels high on my drinkability meter.

How does it compare with Dupont? Since the Dupont seems to vary a bit bottle to bottle, which makes it interesting, I'll have to wait on that and do some more testing.

And now for the postcript - I had to run out so I put a vacu vin stopper in the bottle and returned to it the next evening. Perhaps I didn't get a good seal on the thing but more likely it just ran it's natural course, but the beer was very different. Sour but still beautiful, like a grapefruit gueuze.

Has anyone else had experience with trying to get some distance out of a large bottle? (1,288 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I picked up this 750 from Whole Foods, from their refrigerated section.

It pours a light tan color with a soft white head. It's cloudy as heck. Then it gets murky with the sediment at the end. The aroma is slightly floral but mild, and does not improve with warming. Carbonation is moderate. On tasting, I get a relatively harsh bitterness of neutral hops. There seems to be some spiciness. Perhaps a bit of fruit. Very cluttered and confusing to me. Surprisingly there is a pretty clean malt flavor that surges near the end. Medium bodied. Alcohol is subtle but the effects are felt later. Overall: I need to try this again sometime, but not too soon -- I tried the beer over a long time, at various temperatures, but the harsh bitterness is out of balance. Like a bad american lager recipe with a tiny bit of spices added. (827 characters)

Fantôme Saison from Brasserie Fantôme