Fantôme Strange Ghost - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme Strange GhostFantôme Strange Ghost

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: rastaman on 09-11-2002)
1.25/5  rDev -67.9%

1.83/5  rDev -53.1%

Typical Fantome appearence, possibly slightly darker. Vibrant, spice-led aromatics, with hints of spinach and herbs. Yes it is very aromatic, but I didn’t like the smell, at all. Flavor is again, heavily overspiced and to me, the spice flavor comes out tasting like mold. Yes, it tasted moldy to me....with perhaps a hint of rosemary, herbs and ginger. Complete drainpour for me.

2.2/5  rDev -43.6%

Gee, I hate to write a bumming report on my favorite brewery but...
This beer taste like it got scorched at some point. Big scorched coffeee tatse, and hints of molasses. very dark and again the recipe has changed from last year (last years was very piney). Honestlty, I couyld hardly finish the bottle, but each Fantome beer is a different experience for everyone, so please give it a shot, as this beer might just not be for my palate. I look forward to next years rendition!

2.33/5  rDev -40.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

750mL corked and capped bottle poured into a tulip. Thank you goes to cjacobsen for sharing.

(A)- Pours a cloudy sienna color. Produced a good tan head that dissipated after awhile. Lacing all over the place. Rather dark colored for the style, but that does not bother me.

(S)- A really dry yeasty cocoa-like lemon/orange peeled earth.

(T)- A heavily spiced profile. Maybe thyme and or cardamon? Dry, with very mild apple cider-like malts.

(M)- A good carbonation level. Rather over the top with spices and that apple cider aspect. Almost bitter.

(D)- A confusing beer to say the least. Not really quite sure on what direction they were going with this one; it fits its name perfectly: 'Strange.'

2.4/5  rDev -38.5%

2007 release. Not my cup of tea at all. I place this beer in the same category of Cynic, Avery 12, and Rabid Rabbit. It’s just too damned herbal. The aroma and flavor are just completely overbearing with Italian Seasoning. Seriously, this beer is a thyme bomb, it’s a rosemary baby, it’s oregano origami…well you get my point. In addition to the Italian herbs it’s also spicy: cardamom, coriander, cinnamon, nutmeg, maybe even a little cumin or curry. Wtf? Beyond the herbal/spiciness is a miniscule amount of barnyardiness and a lot of lemon but that’s a bout it. About the time I notice the lemon, I’m starting to sneeze. There must be chamomile in here too. The color is great, pale yellow straw with thick white head, moderate carbonation, and a surprisingly creamy body. Drinkability is terrible. This is the only Fantome beer I don’t like. In fact, this is the only Fantome beer that I don’t love.

2.42/5  rDev -37.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

A - It had a slight hint of tomato juice in the appearance and thin head.

S - There's a medicinal smell like camphor...some slight cherry fruitiness...some vegetable and perhaps rosemary also.

T - I really didn't care for the taste. It reminded me of the flavor of the worst tasting cold remedy I've ever had (perhaps an entirely subjective experience...but this one led me down that path). There's a lemon flavor...maybe also oversteaped tea...or a tea bag...very potent.

M - There was nothing especially offensive or enticing about the mouthfeel...maybe a little creaminess and astringent but mostly unremarkable

D - I drank this one a little fast, mostly to get on to the next beer. Not a total loss but NEARLY a drain-pour. I could barely finish finish half a 750ml bottle.

2.48/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

750ml. bottle purchased for 13.99 on 6-24-07 at Whole Foods Portland.

Pours a murky dark reddish hue, with a forced 2 inch head which hates life and decides to kill itself immediately. Aroma isn't quite as funky as I had hoped. It's faintly herbal with a bit of barnyard in there. I also detect something resembling root beer candy. First sip yields disappointment. Considering the robust color of the beer, I had expected a bit more flavor. Something to make me say wow. I tell myself I now know why they named this beer strange ghost. It is indeed strange, and it feels as though the spirit has left the body. It's kinda watery, and reminds me of plain green tea, but with a bit of funk. There's also a hint of mint, and some other herbs or spices that I can't identify. The alcohol is nowhere to be found. I'm glad I tried it, but can't help but wish I'd spent the money on something else.

2.6/5  rDev -33.3%

Poured a cloudy brown with about an eighth inch of head. Reddish tints to it, almost a maroon.

Smelled sweet and fruity. Decent amount of plum with a wine sense to it. There's a lot of spices in here. It almost has a fake nose of a sour.

There was a lot of taste up front but it diminished almost as quickly as it hit with the mid taste and ending being almost nothing. There was a lot of citrus peel and spice and fruit, but it really blands out.

The beer was kind of tart on the tongue, kind of like a more sour saison, but it was flattened out and not at all what I expected.

This beer is weird. I'd go beyond strange on this one. From a brewery that I hear a lot of great things about and have had some great stuff from, this wasn't really much of any awesome shock. It was actually kind of a let down.

2.75/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

(Served in a tulip glass)

A- This beer has a dense but clear body that glows a reddish-brown hue like the color of ice tea. The thin yellowish-white head fades to a thin ring with micro bubbles gliding up the side of the glass to the surface.

S- The smell of spring water is strong with an earthy note but a very clean and light smell. As the beer warms there is a light medicinal herbal smell that is mysterious.

T- This beer taste of earthy beets with cinnamon and a hint of mint. The strong flavor of picojoule and licorice with a soapy flavor and tea leaves in the finish.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a slippery texture.

D- I guess I could give this beer high marks for creativity but it would get low marks for drinkability. This beer is rough for one glass but I couldn't get through the whole bottle.

2.75/5  rDev -29.5%

3.1/5  rDev -20.5%

Thanks to Dan (mdfb79) for this one.

Hazy brown to red color with nice lacing on the glass and a smallish ring of head.

The smell is interesting, I can see that there is definitely some herbs and vegetables in there, mainly tomato and basil like notes. Seems like veggie juice like V8 with a little added maltiness.

The taste follows the smell but is even stranger, it really is like drinking pizza sauce. sugary too, which is strange. Some beery fruit and celery at the back of this. hm.

Medium feel, lots of carbo. This is not a beer I'd like to have a gain.

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

Not one of my favoured fantome brews. Quite spicy and gingery, tart acidic, earthy aroma and taste. A little unbalanced and astringent, still as of the other fantome brews, very interesting, give it a go.

3.3/5  rDev -15.4%

I received this bottle in a trade with Dave (BuckeyeSox). Typical green Fantome 750ml bottle with cork and cap.

The beer is red colored with a very thin head. The smell is, well, complicated. There are a lot of aromas which I don't normally associate with fine malt beverages. I think some eastern spice was involved, this was a little like patchoulli incense. Maybe cedar chips, possibly ginger, almost definitely some coriander or allspice, and a bit of sour funk reminiscent of sour apple juice. On the whole a spicy and floral nose which translated to a perfumy taste, hard to accept. Fantome standard saison is so delicious, but this stuff was just strange.

I was happy to have tried it, but there's a limit to how much funkiness I can really appreciate in a beer. Fantome went a little too far for my simple palate.

3.35/5  rDev -14.1%

From 01/21/11 notes. Brought to a small tasting.

a - Pours a murky amber color with one inch of white head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of herbs, fruity malts, spice, and yeast.

t - Tastes a little like pizza sauce, fruity malts, tomatoes, herbs, and spice.

m - Light body and moderate carbonation.

d - A tiny bit weird in the taste due to the tomatoes; not my favorite fantome beer. Wouldn't seek out again.

3.38/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a murky brown/orange, like swamp water, thick tan head forms, settles to a thin ring and layer, few lace spots. Smell is very Fantome, but really spicy, cinnamon, cherries, caramel, yeast, apples, alcohol, trademark Fantome funk. Taste is very appley, spices, yeast and bread, wheat, watery, very light. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with medium carbonation. Not too sure I like this one, very light in aroma and flavour.

3.38/5  rDev -13.3%

Bottle courtesy of Dewbrewer. Thank you!
Pours a rich brownish color. Smell is mint, rosemary, sage perhaps, and very herbacious and floral in general. Taste is perhaps lighter than the nose, but still minty, slightly sweet and full of unique herb flavor. Towards the end turns almost lemony in flavor and reminds me of sweet tea with lemon. A bit thin bodied. Very interesting, worth a try.

3.43/5  rDev -12.1%

Poured from the 750ml corked bottle into a wine glass. Body is an opaque golden-amber color topped by a small, lively white head. Aroma of typical funky Fantome Belgian goodness - spicy, with a touch of mustiness. Palate is a fairly sweet malt character up front, tempered by a mild herby character (licorice, sweet basil). Towards the back of the mouth some astringency develops, followed by a strange finish that is heavy on notes of spruce and wintermint. Body is again typical Fantome - nicely carbonated, with a lightly creamy character. Quite interesting, and enjoyable, but not the easiest-drinking beer around.

3.45/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml green corked and capped bottle.

IT pours a murky brown with hints of plum and lots of sediment. The head is foamy and of white and rather large. It recedes pretty slowly but with not much lacing.

The smell is hard to pinpoint. It smells a lot like strawberries. There is perhaps some currant as well. It has a noticeable funk that almost brings up acidic vomit. It also has some lemony acidity to it. There is also a decent amount of spiciness to it.

The flavor is utterly bewildering. It is like mint berry. It has like a mintiness about it as well as some fruitiness, mainly tart currant/cranberry. There is a mild sourness and also some cherry. It has a very medicinal flavor as well. It isn't too sweet, but has a lingering sweetness amidst the funk and sour. The other component here is the spices, it tastes a lot like maybe some sage, nutmeg, ginger, and definitely mint. It definitely has a holiday tinge to it.

Overall it is a quirky beer that I can't say I will ever go back to but it was interesting.

3.45/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured into a tasting glass, revealing a slightly murky brown body with some mustard and crimson tinges to it under a finger of dense head sustained by lively bubbling. Pretty lacing. Looks just a little thicker than the regular Fantôme. Smells light and a little fruity... cherries or raspberries in tartness, possibly persimmon. Some sweet and warming spice, cloves and hay. Less of the barnyard and more of the sunshine on this nose.

Tastes very different. Some dry fruitiness up front, something like a dark grape in tannins and sour-touched persimmon, with a finish like licking worn river rocks dried in the sun. A little earthiness and roughness to the flavor as well, though not so much of the farmhouse funk or brightness. Mouthfeel is decently dry and lively but not aggressively carbonated with a heavier light body. Decently drinkable.

Overall it's not my favorite of the Fantômes, however it is an interesting one to try. I could see it going well with darker meats.

Fantôme Strange Ghost from Brasserie Fantôme