Fantôme Strange Ghost - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme Strange GhostFantôme Strange Ghost

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: rastaman on 09-11-2002)
4.58/5  rDev +17.4%

Appearance: Pour looks like cola with perhaps a touch of cherry. Enormous off-white head that leaves behind impressive, craggy lacing.

Smell: Saison, but with some additional spices - perhaps oregano (but not as strong as one or two other Fantomes)

Taste: One of the better Fantomes, light funk and spices (oregano?) with some faint figs, raisins, and dates. Also some citrus. Perhaps some pumpkin spices? This one is hard to pin down and incredibly complex. Each sip leads you in a different direction.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and light-bodied, but not thin or watery

Drinkability: Disappears, even at 8%; this one cries out to be paired with food. I'll be buying more.

4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured into a Saison Dupont tumbler @ a bit under cellar temperature. Enjoyed with John Hiatt's Slow Turning (on vinyl!)

A - The body has a cloudy, rich amber color. The head is plentiful, with 2+ fingers of rocky head with tight bubble that really stick to the glass. Looks tasty, if that makes any sense...

S - Some underlying nutty, chocolatey and malty sweetness provides some complexity to the aroma, which is dominated by sourness. Alcohol is present the the aroma.

T - Lots of sourness with green apple-like tartness. The almond and chocolate sweetness again gives the taste buds something else to work with. There is a mineral presence in the finish, but almost no earthiness.

D - If I didn't know better, I never would have called that this was a Fantome product. Quite accessible actually, like some of the more exciting Alvinne products I've had (Cuvee Freddy... yum), with sourness meant to accent the other flavors of the beer. Part of me missed the earthiness that I expect from Fantome products, but at the same time, I'm not sure that would have worked at all in this beer. Short version... good beer, but don't expect this to taste like licking a mushroom and black-pepper coated horse-blanket.

3.83/5  rDev -1.8%

Capped and corked bottle courtesy of bmanning.

Pours brown with a large, thick, and foamy tan head. Large amounts of lacing. Nose is quite strange. I get some mildly funky notes along with ginger, cinnamon, and other spices. However, the nose is dominated by something everyone seemed to describe as akin to swtrawberry seeds. Everything was incongruent and didn't really come together. Taste was much better with the apices integrating and the strawberry seed scent fading into the funk. Good mouthfeel like nearly all Fantome beers. Nice complexity and quite drinkable.

4.38/5  rDev +12.3%

Strange for sure... Slightly murky brown with an off-white head that doesn't hold for very long, but leaves nice lace. Nose is classic fantome (corky/funky) followed by some sour acetic notes on top of lemon and something that is like one of those really old-school style sodas that is flavored with spicy, minty (almost) herbs. the spice is very well integrated if not subtle and sour preserved (sweet) lemon cola is the name of the game here in the taste as well. i believe a lot of flavor is coming from the grain bill here, which seems to bit a bit bigger than you typical fantome beer. really strange, but as expected, works very, very well. mouthfeel is medium and not prickly at all with a pleasant aftertaste. the sour gets the top of the mouth and the back of the throat rather than being a puckering type of sour. all in all, an extremely creative experiment that is simply delicious. although i can't say i would love to have this beer everyday, i can say it spoke to me. totally turned my gears. another winner from dan the man.

4.08/5  rDev +4.6%

Enjoyed at the International Tap House in Soulard with ericstl6 from a recent batch that just made its way to St. Louis.

Pours with a big effervescent head that is thin and soapy and retains for just a bit. No lacing. Pours brown. I would have to say that this is the most brown beer I have ever seen. No other hues other than brown.

Its got the Fantome funk with an acetic back. The creates a very nice balance and lushness.

Wow, I really enjoy this one. The sour tartness is nicely offset and balanced by the slightly heavier malt and 8% abv. May be my favorite Fantome that I have had to date.

Slightly effervescent mouthfeel that turns into a light bodied, easy sipping beer. Drinkability is high with the tart, sweetness beautifully balanced by the malt. A solid light to medium body that begs me to take another sip. Nice change of pace off of the normal super tart, light, dryness of so many of the Fantomes that I have had. Very nice!

A= The pour is a nice deep amber or brown color. The head is a nice tan color and rises up to about a finger high and holds pretty steady. Great lacing on the side of the glass.

S= It gets strange here. Nice herbal smell. Reminds me a lot of a gruit. Loads of spice and some cola sweetness to keep it in hold. Almost smells like a good root beer. There's a nice cinnimon note in there as well as some eucalyptus manybe. Again a lot of cola in it.

T= The taste is similar to the smell only there is that subtle lemon sourness you get with Fantome beers. It tastes like the cola I got in the nose as well as the abundance of herbs in it. This beer is sort of unexplainable. Baffling in the variety of herbs. It strays more from the gruit sort of smell in that it is quite tart with the lemon.

M= Lower carbonation than most "Belgian" beers which isn't a concern because Fantome isn't most Belgian beers.

D= I enjoy the hell out of this. Fantome beers are some of my favorites. This is unique and strange. Again I reference this being similar to a gruit. I like gruits. This isn't gonna be everyones favorite but it is one of mine.

4.15/5  rDev +6.4%

Presentation: 750ml corked and capped. Small blurb on the back, but not other bottling stamps. The cork has a "086/477044"

Appearance: A deep amber color with highlights of copper. Nice clarity and very effervescent. A large light tan head forms easily, and has an incredible retention.

Aroma: Incredible aroma of spices. Hints of nutmeg, cinnamon, white pepper, cardamom. There is a lot going on, and I wish I knew what herbs and spices they put in here. The beer and yeast character could be hidden in there, but they just meld nicely with the spices.

Taste: The same spices in the aroma continue on in the beer as well. Though predominantly upfront the spices fade into a medium-light bodied beer with a touch of cinnamon and cardamom lingers in the finish. Although it is a saison, complex and spicy yeast characteristics are muted.

Mouthfeel: Although it is medium-light bodied, the heavy carbonation plays well with the flavors.

Notes: Spiced beers always fill me with apprehension. Sometimes they just aren't done well or the balance of spices are off. There is so much going on in this beer and I am unable to determine exactly what is in it. The spices do have a nice balance to it, but it is most definitely spiced. This bottle has quite a bit of age and all the hop bitterness has faded. I would like to try another bottle that is fresher for a comparison.

3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a slightly murky amber. Quarter-inch, tan head that dissolves quickly. Moderate lacing that falls quickly.

Smell is strange indeed--quite unlike any beer I have ever had. Very interesting and intriguing. I definitely get some spice, but there is also a minty tobacco aroma that my nose regards with a certain level of ambivalence. Perhaps some fig in there as well.

Okay, this is the first time I can reference the band-aid taste I have seen in some of the beer reviews I have read on this site. I can't necessarily say it's a bad thing though. A minty, spiciness comes in at the rear end. Again, there's a vague fig presence...and a nice tartness that is quite appealing.

Mouthfeel is crisp, tingly and dry. Very nice.

Despite the peculiarities of this beer, I find it quite drinkable. It is indeed quite a different beer, in my opinion, but quite a good one.

I recommend trying this one, and I will certainly be enjoying this one sometime in the future.

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

750ml
$14.99
West Lakeview

Strange Ghost looked a little dark in when in the green bottle but the color when in the tulip is totally unexpected. The body is blood red bordering on burgundy and when backlit turns to glimmering raspberry. The head rose easily but maxed out at one finger in height and has the look of dirty beige. After a couple minutes of sitting the head recedes to a thick collar and thin cap, the overall look is very interesting to say the least.

Well....Dany has brewed yet another eclectic and unusual brew if the nose is any indication. There's a semi sweet sugary aroma in back that reminds me of Strawberry Crush, both artificial and sweet. The strange thing is that gives way to red wine vinegar without any trouble at all and before I know it I'm greeted by handfuls of spices and herbs. Rosemary and thyme are most noticeable along with a solid dose of spearmint, talk about unique. A musty undercurrent adds some earthiness. There's a whole fistful of other miscellaneous herbs and spices I can't even begin to try and place. I have a feeling any and all herbs within reach were thrown into the brew kettle.

The flavor has all the craziness that was the nose but seems to be a little better integrated and put together. The strawberry soda quickly segues into red wine vinegar without the acetic sourness. Herbs come in droves; rosemary, oregano, thyme, and spearmint all in that order of intensity with a mouthful of others flashing through here and there. There's a refreshing quality on the finish that could be either ginger or orange peel but most likely both. I like this brew but it's so difficult to put my finger on any specific herb in this bottle.

The body is on the heavier side of light with a slight stickiness on the swallow that bumps the weight up a notch. The carbonation is there but slightly lacking which causes the body to feel a touch watery compared to what it should be. The finish actually brings across some sweetness.

The drinkability is off the charts. I'm having a hard time keeping any of this beer in the glass. With all the complexities I expected this to be more of a sipper but the fruity quality and light body keep this libation flowing without a second thought.

This may be the most appropriately named beer I have ever had the opportunity to imbibe. Strange fits this...thing, perfectly. I'm willing to bet there's fruit in this beer along with all the herbs. How does he get the red wine vinegar quality without the sourness? This Dany fellow is a maniac! If you see this beer sitting on the shelf pick it up. It's a doozy!

3.78/5  rDev -3.1%

I have had this beer in the cooler for a good while now. I will preface my review by saying that I am not big on spiced beers, so hopefully this one is more reserved.

Appearance: Pours a mostly clear orange garnet color with a huge head of tan foam that is held up by a bunch of bubbles rising. A solid minute after the pour, the head doesn't show any signs of letting up. There is some lacing left on the glass after drinking. Overall this is a nice looking beer. Probably 10 minutes after the pour, there is still at least ½" of foam on top of the beer.

Aroma: There is a defined spice to the aroma that reminds me of German Gluwein. There is also a defined candy sugar aroma in here that makes this whole thing smell like the holidays to me. I can get figs in particular as far as fruit, but there is a medley of other things that I can only hope to be able to identify by the end of the review.

Taste: The flavor is definitely spiced. It is not so overpowering that it is phenolic, but not too far from it. I am at a loss to be able to pick out the individual spices, but I am thinking that it is as much floral as anything. The balance is slightly toward to sweet in the finish and I don't pick up the 8% ABV really at all except as a subtle warming in the belly after a few sips. It is pretty well balanced, and gets more approachable as it warms up some. The Saison character is pretty reserved the whole time and the beer is well attenuated so the spices and sweetness hang a bit on their own in the latter part of the sip.

Opinion: Well, this is a well presented beer. I like that it is so complex in aroma and flavor, and yet there isn't really one thing that throws the mix out of balance. That said, it is still a spiced beer, and it is obvious. Though I am probably going to give this beer pretty high marks, because it is a pretty well blended version of what it is...a spiced Saison. I am not sure if I am going to be able to finish my glass, though, because the overall presentation of the beer isn't something that I am cut out for.

4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

Capped and corked bottle from the Dilly Deli.

Poured clear light brown color with a large fizzy light brown head that was mostly lasting with fair lacing. Deep sour citrus and spice aroma. Medium to full body with a sticky texture. Medium spicy bittersweet flavor with a medium bittersweet ginger finish of moderated duration.

Spicy complex standout beer.

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%

Glazed terra cotta with a hint of cherry red when backlit. What an interesting color. The bleached sandstone colored crown is tight-bubbled and is turning out to be impressively persistent. So far, imperceptable meltage has led to no more than a thick collar of lace. This might be the darkest BSPA on record.

The aroma is... strange. That's pretty much a given when it comes to Brasserie Fantome and is the reason why so many of us love their beer. It's also intriguing, fascinating and mysterious. I had no luck determining specific ingredients, beyond 'brewed with spices and herbs' seen on the label. The only one I'm (relatively) sure of is ginger. Perhaps cardamom as well.

Strange Ghost isn't as good as most of its fellow Fantome ales. It's still good beer, but it isn't especially good Fantome beer. That's what happens when the vast majority of your lineup is outstanding. I'm not even sure that it's strange, as least compared to the other offbeat stuff coming out of Soy. And it isn't a BSPA. Saison seems like a better choice.

The malt backbone is on the insubstantial side and doesn't contribute much flavor. Nor do the hops. That's to be expected when there are so many herbs and spices in the house. Specifics? Whoo boy. I'll stick with ginger and cardamom and... who knows what else. SG is also cedar-like and herbaceous and citrus juice sour. This is a tough one to nail down.

The mouthfeel is fairly typical of this brewery. In other words, it's light without being thin and isn't anywhere near as bubbled as your average Belgian ale. It works well enough, but it could stand to be slightly more full and slightly more carbonated.

On further consideration, Strange Ghost is a bit strange. If you've never had one of Mr. Prignon's creations, it's bound to be exceptionally strange. For those who are new to the wild, wacky, wonderful world of Fantome, I'd suggest starting with the out-of-this world Saison or the excellent four seasons saisons: Printemps, Ete, Automne and Hiver. Especially Ete and Hiver.

4.65/5  rDev +19.2%

"Pale" ale, huh? I'll just assume BA got this one wrong or flat-out didn't know what to call this brew, as it's definitely a hazy, deep amber. A snow white ring of head circles the glass' edges.

Green apples, tarragon, red wine vinegar and dried leaves make for one of the strangest, and strangely alluring, noses I've encountered in some time.

Oh, shit, that's thyme! Manages to maintain a crazy cleanliness the whole way through considering it's rocking a major herbal theme with a hugely dry woody finish. There's even a Perrier-like mineral finish that joins up with the thyme warp-body and a bit of green tea thrown in for good measure. This is fucking great and I'll be damned if I haven't had a beer that is so fiercely original, eminently drinkable, and just a whole lot of fun.

Crisp bordering on overcarbonated but I'll chalk it up to an almost lambic-like approach to this hard-to-define brew. Gotta tell you, I love this beer so much and I'm not getting tired of it. Amazing.

4.2/5  rDev +7.7%

A: Poured a murky, burnt orange with a huge 2 finger pillowy medium tan head that sported light cinnamon hue swirls. The head receded to firm, foamy layering with micro-bubbles compliments of the strong initial carbonation. There was a huge turbidity of micro speckly bran like yeast flakes suspended in the drink.

S: light with some spiciness of musky tangerines and celery hopping.

T: sweet and sour with musky tangerines, celery, applesauce and a lemon juice like flavor. There was some apple cider alcohol, basil, mint and light peppery notes as well detected. In the finish was a light lemon juice acidity, sourness, and zestiness that was clean with a short duration. Overall a very smooth tartness providing a well rounded smooth drinking saison.

M: very light, oily with a lemony sour acidity lacing on the tongue. The carbonation was very soft providing a smooth texture.

D: A very interesting drink that will keep you coming back sip after sip to identify the strangely unique and intriguing flavor.

3.38/5  rDev -13.3%

Bottle courtesy of Dewbrewer. Thank you!
Pours a rich brownish color. Smell is mint, rosemary, sage perhaps, and very herbacious and floral in general. Taste is perhaps lighter than the nose, but still minty, slightly sweet and full of unique herb flavor. Towards the end turns almost lemony in flavor and reminds me of sweet tea with lemon. A bit thin bodied. Very interesting, worth a try.

4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

750 ML, corked bottle purchased from Super Saver in Somerville for $8.99... "2004 Edition - Belgian Ale Brewed With Spices and Herbs" on the logo sticker...
A rough pour yielded a murky, hazy, ruby-red colored hue with an enormous foamy and frothy head that exhibited impressive staying power before slowly receding...
Faint, subtle aroma replete with a strong, yet mellow earthiness, including grass, yeast, lemons, citrus, and herbs...
Mellowed-out taste included in this one with a small spike of carbonation present as well... Very earthy, citrus and lemon-like flavor... The herbs and spices seemed more apparent in the aroma, although there were some distinctly evident strange spices to be found on the tongue... Although the taste was more subtle than anything, the flavor was overall pretty appealing and refreshing without being cloying or overbearing...
Light, slightly carbonated mouthfeel with a pretty good level of drinkability without any alcohol detected at all...
Good stuff...

3.53/5  rDev -9.5%

Notes from 11/08/07

1) It pours out like Nestea. Especially convincing with the lack of any real head. It sloshes back & forth for a few seconds, before settling just a quarter inch from the surface. Its legs gravitate down in uniform, never breaking formation. Lace is an extinct species.

2) Rosemary & bubblegum, teriyaki & ginger, with cayenne & cinnamon warming things up. Not too far from a heather ale in this department. Well, the closest thing my memories take me back to. A tad less floral & a whole lot more herbal, but first impressions got me thinking. It IS strange.

3) Spearmint, ginger, & bay leaf. A fragment of roasted malt leads into huge bushels of bitter greens that dominate the middle & tail end of the beer. There's a little steely mint hiding in the finish(maybe more so the numbness on my tongue). The alcohol is medicinal(if anything). This is still a beer right? My inner child does not want to finish his spinach. Would someone please pass the diacetyl. :P

4) Soft, fluid, well carbonated, & just the slightest urgency to get it all down before it gets too warm. It does not get sticky though, in fact, it melts apart & just settles into layers. Cold is definitely my preferred way of having it. Paella goes pretty nice with this stuff; extra scallops, extra mariachi. :)

5) It is quite satisfying with the right compliments. Alone it might cause motion sickness. Sit down to a meal, share, & pour generous servings. It is really easy to do with the right accommodations.

4.47/5  rDev +14.6%

Pours a murky brown in color with a nice off white head. Smell is spice and funk. This is an absolutely wonderful beer. Taste is complimented perfectly between the spice, cacao, and some tartness. I love the Fantome Saison, but this has eclipsed that as my favorite. A great beer.

3.3/5  rDev -15.4%

I received this bottle in a trade with Dave (BuckeyeSox). Typical green Fantome 750ml bottle with cork and cap.

The beer is red colored with a very thin head. The smell is, well, complicated. There are a lot of aromas which I don't normally associate with fine malt beverages. I think some eastern spice was involved, this was a little like patchoulli incense. Maybe cedar chips, possibly ginger, almost definitely some coriander or allspice, and a bit of sour funk reminiscent of sour apple juice. On the whole a spicy and floral nose which translated to a perfumy taste, hard to accept. Fantome standard saison is so delicious, but this stuff was just strange.

I was happy to have tried it, but there's a limit to how much funkiness I can really appreciate in a beer. Fantome went a little too far for my simple palate.

2.42/5  rDev -37.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

A - It had a slight hint of tomato juice in the appearance and thin head.

S - There's a medicinal smell like camphor...some slight cherry fruitiness...some vegetable and perhaps rosemary also.

T - I really didn't care for the taste. It reminded me of the flavor of the worst tasting cold remedy I've ever had (perhaps an entirely subjective experience...but this one led me down that path). There's a lemon flavor...maybe also oversteaped tea...or a tea bag...very potent.

M - There was nothing especially offensive or enticing about the mouthfeel...maybe a little creaminess and astringent but mostly unremarkable

D - I drank this one a little fast, mostly to get on to the next beer. Not a total loss but NEARLY a drain-pour. I could barely finish finish half a 750ml bottle.

Pours a hazy copper color with a tan head. In the aroma, sour and a small maltiness, a touch fruity. In the taste, sour and spicey, hints of green apple, spruce and even lemon grass. A smooth sourness in the mouthfeel and a semidry sour aftertaste. A nice sourness and spice.

4.3/5  rDev +10.3%

purchased a 75cl corked bottle and served in a glass.

to me the taste is very strongly characterized by ginger, almost to the point where it is the only taste i can pull out. also a number of other herbs and spices, it seems like coriander, possibly some earthier spices like cumin, perhaps some thyme or rosemary as some others have suggested. a refreshingly citrus like quality exists, which compliments the ginger/herbal flavor nicely.

the head is virtually nonexistant after a few seconds, it is a relatively dark copper color, and it smells absolutely wonderful.

i really like this beer, but i couldnt drink it all the time and could understand other people not liking it particularly well.

all in all i think its as much of an artisinal beer as anyone could hope to brew, and i think its magnificent, but i could also say its not for everybody and not for every occasion.

4.53/5  rDev +16.2%

Hazy deep darkish honeyed orange hue. Small unlasting capping of dullish white foam grows up quickly from the pour then fades to a bubbly skim and collar. Drippy and non sticky lace with only a few spots staying.

Herbal crazy nose of super high pitched bittersweet floralness and raw lemon. Dandylions, wheat grass, white grape, corriander, and other uniquely herbal aromas bring a brigade of dizzying sniffing enjoyment each time its taken in. Has just a touch of barnyard stuff buzzing about, but the spicey herbal character remains quite true, strong, and beautiful. Awesome nose!

Taste is nearly as dizzying but somehow comes across nice and mellowing with a solid herbal tone over a smallish toasted pale malt and bready doughy sweetness. Kinda honeyish really, especially as it goes, with a solid mix of raw orange and lemon ascents, all the while keeping a firm little creamy sense and a wonderfully natural spicey kick that delivers a uniquely floral, fauna, earthy, grassy effect. A surprise awaits nearly every sip that wraps up all sorts of herbs and spices that'll keep ya guessing.

Feel is about medium, actually kinda dulled in comparison to the overall spicyness it carries. Which is, again, a unique complexity to the overall, taken in conception of how the beer is moving. It has a certain yeasty grab and underscored malty tang, but the complex spices and herbs really turn it into a whole nother complexion of texture and tone.

Wow, this has an immense complexity about it that fits the Fantome family very well. I really liked how it wasn't over the top all that much as its funkyness is quite tame. The sourness well controlled and the bitterness well-rounded in earthyness of herbs and grasses. There's nothing strange about a beer this good other than trying to figure out what exactly those spices and herbs are.

Poured a darkish amber into my tulip glass - little head, not much retention. I noticed this with the regular Fantome as well...slightly disappointing.

Sour musty attic aroma up front, with some mint and unripe apples and pears. Not mouth-wateringly appetizing, but highly novel...you want to keep dipping your nose into the glass for a whiff.

Taste is citric sourness over a clean malt bill, a little medicinal hop, also a definite spiced cooked veggie overtone. It's herbal, even - who knows what they put in here? It tastes a little like they raided the herbal tea section at Whole Foods.

Feels really light on the palate...perhaps the strongest point of this beer.

It goes down easily - odd taste, but you want to keep swigging it in an attempt to figure out what's in it. An oddball, for sure, but I actually didn't find this any more odd than the regular Fantome.

2.4/5  rDev -38.5%

2007 release. Not my cup of tea at all. I place this beer in the same category of Cynic, Avery 12, and Rabid Rabbit. It’s just too damned herbal. The aroma and flavor are just completely overbearing with Italian Seasoning. Seriously, this beer is a thyme bomb, it’s a rosemary baby, it’s oregano origami…well you get my point. In addition to the Italian herbs it’s also spicy: cardamom, coriander, cinnamon, nutmeg, maybe even a little cumin or curry. Wtf? Beyond the herbal/spiciness is a miniscule amount of barnyardiness and a lot of lemon but that’s a bout it. About the time I notice the lemon, I’m starting to sneeze. There must be chamomile in here too. The color is great, pale yellow straw with thick white head, moderate carbonation, and a surprisingly creamy body. Drinkability is terrible. This is the only Fantome beer I don’t like. In fact, this is the only Fantome beer that I don’t love.

Fantôme Strange Ghost from Brasserie Fantôme