Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - Printemps - Brasserie Fantôme

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-04-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - Printemps Alström Bros
2.16/5  rDev -47.1%

750ml undated into Jackie O's large tulip. I think I got this through the Bringing Back Tradition BIF.

A- Hazy golden orange, lively carbonation, lots of tiny white bubbles that settle pretty quickly.

S- Weird nose on this one, zippy lemon and orange, like an orangina. A bit grassy too. Not really liking this.

T- Same flavor. Way too sweet. Lots of ripe fruit and a buttery sweetness. Lingering chalky bitterness. Tart and a bit sour.. very confusing. Nothing really comes together, the flavors are fighting for real estate on my tongue.

M- Too much going on, cloying sweetness, ultimately not working. Slick mouthfeel builds and creeps me out.

O- They can't all be winners. I've yet to meet a fantome that's better than the traditional saison... this one's not even close.. (785 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -44.1%

An orange, amber beer with no head.

Smell is spicy and has a light candisugar smell, also a light tart smell.

Taste is light caramel, candisugar and tart. Bitterness is not present. Body is thin, and the beer is astringent and dry. I get some tastes which reminds me of green herbs, which give the beer a light vegetable taste. This beer is way out of balance and the tartness and dryness is too much for me. I drained the bottle! (436 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -35.5%

Hay. Slight aroma of old red apples, mixed nuts, pears, toasted malts and other light fruits. Lacking the usual Fantome magic. First that miserable Black Ghost, now this very poor offering. An underlying light fruitiness with notes of pear, apple, honey, caramel, orange and lemon and just a small hint of that Fantome yeast taste that I usually love. Most of his beers are so distinctive. This isn’t. (402 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -34.1%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a St. Bernardus goblet.

A: Honey amber with some effervescence and the lightest of heads. Almost clear.

S: From a distance, unbearably skunky. Up close, sort of lagery and bland. Reminiscent of Heineken. Bleugh.

T: Not that good. Very Euro-lagery in character, from the light spritz to the grassy-weak hops to the grainy malt characteristic. I am incredibly disappointed, especially after other excellent Fantômes I've tasted.

M: Grainy-sweet...feels like it belongs in a 'forty.'

O: Perhaps I got a bad bottle, but this is just not very good. I would never recommend it, and I'm sceptical about paying the money to verify my terrible experience.

EDIT: I'm going to keep the above review (scores were 4.5A/2S/2.5T/2M/2O), but in an effort to improve what I was drinking, I sloshed around the last third of the beer bottle to agitate the yeast, and it definitely made the beer better. Here goes a same-night re-review.

A: Almost a finger of white, frothy head fades soon. The beer is a honey-dull brown, opaque.

S: Skunky, but with fresh flowers (jasmine?) and fruit.

T: Still grainy with skunky-poor hops, but the added yeast gives it a well needed dimension. Light spice and a fruity tartness puts up a losing battle against the overwhelming corn-like malt bill.

M: Same complaint as before...if malt liquor used Belgian yeast. ;)

O: Still not that great, but at least it's noticeably a saison. (1,439 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -31.1%

Pours a light straw color. Modest, quickly receding head. Aroma is dominated by a light, lemony aroma. The flavor starts lemony and floral and tart. An aftertaste builds that's grainy and bitter. I really want to like this based on the aroma and initial flavor, but the aftertaste is a real turn off. I set this aside for a bit hoping it would be more to my taste after it warmed a bit, but while a bit more malt complexity did come out, the aftertaste was there same as ever. It's a shame because I really like the standard Fantome Saison, but the additions in this variation render it really unpalatable to me. (612 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 2 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

750ml bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a bright, hazy golden color with two fingers of white head. Retention and lacing are poor.

S: Very bright, fruity and citrusy. Fresh lemon zest mixes with apricots and light to moderate funk.

T: Moderate fruity acidity is present - similar to that of an apricot. Funk comes in after that, but it is a bit odd in nature. I get a ginger flavor as well. It's like a slightly funky fruity cocktail with ginger.

M: Moderate thickness with low carbonation.

O: A roller coaster of a beer. Great color, terrible head retention and lacing, great fruity aroma, odd flavor. (604 characters)

The bottle I had was dated 1995. So I had low expectations of it holding up. Got an old apple taste from it. Surprised that the carbonation was high. Had an old vinegar smell to it. I do love trying these old bottles of Fantome I have. (240 characters)

Thanks to Robbeer for bringing this to Japan.

A - Slightly opaque orange body with a thin head.
S - Slight tangerine peel with nutty malt and hay overtones.
T - Dry, pepper, apples, more hay, light on the bitternes. A touch of sourness.
M - Dry, lightly carbonated.
D - This was a far cry from the vividly yummy stuff I remembered. (338 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -24.5%

750ml bottle poured into a pair of Fantome tulips and shared with TulipSnifter. Cost was about $14.00 at a local Portland bottle shop.

A: Pure clear lemon juice with a huge paper white head. Ridiculous lacing. 5/5

S: Lemon zest, lemon zest, lemon zest... WOW! How do you even do that? Secondary characteristics are very herbal. Rosemary specifically is very robust. My interest is officially piqued. 4.5/5

T: Rosemary dominates here again. I'm going out on a limb here and saying that it was definitely a brewing ingredient. Unfortunately, it comes off a little too strong and is cloyingly powerful. Some esters and a small amount of funk linger in the background but little else is discernable. I can't call this good because of how it turns one-dimensional, and I can't even call it average since it's so unique. I'm afraid I'm just not impressed by this bottle of Fantome. 2/5

M: Creamy body with soft carbonation. Just what I expect from a Fantome. 4/5

O: It smells great but fails on the taste. A below average score seems appropriate. Due to bottle variation, I would be willing to give this another chance, but this is one variation I would not want to revisit. 2.5/5 (1,179 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -24.3%

(Served in a tulip)
086/477044 on cork
A- This beer pours a slightly hazy lemon yellow body with a thick sticky snow white head that produces nice broken lace and some long strands of tiny bubbles trail to the surface.

S- The nice saison yeast character leads to a full wet stale wood ash aroma in the finish that grows as the beer opens. Some green grass notes and dry bubblegum esters come through as it opens aswell.

T- The bright saison yeast esters are soon over powered by a big harsh bitterness and some smoky stale wood ash aromas in the finish lead to a slight band-aid hint as it warms.

M- The medium-light mouthfeel has a gentle fizz to the finish and no astringency.

O- The nice saison is hidden away under the smoky bitter wood ash off flavors that go from balanced to dominating as the beer opens. It was hard to get through the full bottle. (863 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -24%

I found all aspects of this beer to be pleasing other than the taste. It was a murky brownish gray color with nice head retention. The smell was intense saison (earth, spice, friut) along with a medicinal quality. The taste was where it didn't work for me. The overriding flavor was herbaceousness to the point of being medicinal. Other qualities were there but I didn't find the taste pleasant. Mouthfeel juicey and full and pleasant. Drinkability I can only score around average because I didn't care for taste. (513 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -23.8%

This brew pours a murky gold with a big cloudy white head, very thick and long lasting. Aroma is a little funky, kind of off like a sub-par pilsner, grassy too, but that seems really out of place here; gains some fruity and sugary notes as it warms , tangerine-like and very sweet. Taste starts out slightly sweet, a bit undercarbonated, very citrusy with a fruity and sugary twang. A little too sweet and cloying for the style as this brew lacks some balance and tastes too much like a fruit drink, it misses some of the sharpness, balance and dryness of most saisons.

All in all, this is a pretty disappointing brew, it improved with the second glass but still misses the mark in most categories. There are tons of native Belgian and American-made saisons that are far better. (779 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -22.8%

Poured from a corked and capped bottle into a perfect pint

A- pours a very, very light shade of yellow with a one finger white head. Even more pale than your generic lager, looks almost like lemonade. Head is robust and sticks around for awhile. Interesting

S- getting a little bit of lemon peel and coriander, with some slight funk coming through as well. Solid

T- very...bland. Some light funk, some light lemon, and not much else going on at all. Honestly, tastes like a Summer Shandy with some extra lemon juice in it....disappointing

M- medium bodied

O- yeah, I know there's a lot of bottle variation with Fantome...but this one is a complete miss. Nothing interesting going on here at all (699 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -22.5%

A - Pours a light golden amber. Somewhat clear. Big, frothy two finger head.

S - It smells off... I'm getting some yeast, grasses and light pepper.

T - Just tastes like an over spiced beer. I get no endearing qualities of a saison or what a saison style beer should be. It's very vegetable/herbal along with mild fruit notes.

M - Great mouthfeel... High carb and lighter body, which I love in saisons.

O - This is my second one to try and I waited until the second to do a review. The first was an older label and I declare the newer label the winner. But, overall I wouldn't say this is a top rated saison. Too grassy/herbal/vegetable and nothing that sets it apart besides underwhelming me. (696 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -22.5%

This beer was one of the more interesting I've tried with so much going on - extreme complexity in flavors.
Initial presentation is unique with a cap that requires a bottle opener and then a corn that requires a corkscrew.
Taste hits of initial bitter, dry, crisp, pungent, sour fruit like citrus lemon, grass. Body is less than medium with lots of carbonation.
Overall I probably wouldn't buy again - a bit too much going on here (432 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -22.1%

V.07
Let me begin this review stating that I have high regard for Fantome/Saisons/funky gueuze-like beers.

Great hazy straw color, and a loose but high foam that sticks around for a minute or two.
Harsh main-line of lemon zest through the nose. A little grass & funk as well. This is where I became skeptical, but I do love challenges.
A harsh astringent band-aid wrapped around more lemon & grass.
Sour & dry, almost to point of being unpleasant. A sour that isn't challenging in a fun kind-of-way.
No complexity, and it doesn't pair well. I tried cheese, bread, BBQ...I love Fantome. They rock my world this one didn't. I didn't find one solid quality in this, aside from the appearance. Complete let-down. (716 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

When I heard they were offering flights including this at Trappist Provisions, I knew I had to pass by and try some Fantôme kookiness for the first time. This was very strange! Poured into a 6oz wine glass out of a 750ml bottle.

Pours a golden straw, classic saison color with a frothy, white head. Bubbles seem to come in dregs, but dissipate rather quickly. The head seems to eventually go away as the carbonation disappears, but some decent lacing remains on the glass. Not bad, but NOTHING that indicated me what I was about to get myself into.

Right, so right at the front, I'm immediately getting all kinds of off aromas and phenols that Fantôme is known for, and yet to be credited or disregarded for: grassiness, barnyard haystacks, funky earthiness, manure (not joking), sweat, dandelions, basil, rosemary, lightly tinged lemongrass. What the hell is this? Completely bizarre - cannot make out any notes resembling malts or grains for that matter, although if anything validates as "rustic" or "earthy" in the realm of beers, this takes it to the most literal form possible.

The flavor is ever MORE bizarre! There's immediately touch of the grassy haystack flavors (luckily no cow dung here) that immediately changes into a peat smoked malty haze. Charred bark melds with gritty grains and malts and immediately a charcoal-like aftertaste follows. There's a tinge of pepper, maybe some strange off saltiness, but the smoky flavor goes on for a while, and leaves bright dandelion and cilantro herbal flavors at the back of the tongue. A touch of bitterness, and maybe some grainy earthiness, but otherwise totally out of whack in a way that is fascinating yet not very pleasant. Alcohol is marvelously hidden. I shouldn't have let this sit around and get warmer though - by the end, the smokiness turns to a near pork rind astringency, and the grassiness gets so funky and herbal that I was on the verge of gagging without even aiming to.

This was utterly strange, and I admit full responsibility knowing what I was I was getting into here. It seems every review of this beer is different too, and while I don't think I got a bad bottle (indeed, the earthiness here is astonishing), the malts may be too over dried or smoked. This was an eye-opening beer indeed, but I do hope I have more uplifting rather than physically demanding beers from Fantôme in the future. As of this review, I have a saison in my cellar that I'd like to open soon. Here's hoping it turns out okay! (2,489 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Printemps is more of a tripel than anything else -- a tripel poured into a bottle that once held gueuze -- with loud banana esters and lemon on the palate and a hot, phenolic, almost tannic finish from the alcohol which you cannot taste but can certainly feel.

The yeast is overpowering in this brew and contends with whatever spicing Fantome intended for us to taste. The mouthfeel is very unpleasant through and through, though I do find some relief in a round, juicy midpalate that almost immediately dissapears.

This is a big beer, perhaps best suited for the fall -- despite its name. The flavors are quite dynamic, but I feel as though whatever is potentially good about this beer is slighted by the yeast. I'm almost reminded of Stone VE 040404 minus the disgusting lime. Undyingly herbal.

Relax, relax.
ng (824 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -20.1%

I was really excited to get my hands on another Fantome. I had a big smile on my face all the way up until I took my first sip. The pour looks great. A hazy orange with an endless head. The nose is pretty good too. There is lemon, white wine, and funk. The taste? Well it's not so great. As it warms up the pepper and sour red apple flavor gets much less offensive, but this never comes close to beginning to enter the realm of the other Fantomes I've had the pleasure of drinking. (481 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -20.1%

Reviewed on 5/16/08. Bottle. Pours a clear amber with no real head. Aroma is fairly weak, nothing of note (maybe I had it too cold??). Flavor strongly of pear, some raspberry, sour fruits. Mouthfeel is syrupy and thick. Just ok, nothing great.
6/4/7/3/15 (3.5/5) (262 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -19.6%

Bottle consumed at The Trappist in Oakland, CA. From notes.

The first whiff, oddly, smelled like a Mexican restaurant. Weird. Bubbles everywhere.

Golden amber pour. Musty, yeasty smell and taste. Old fruit. Refried beans, heh.

Will have to re-evaluate at some point. (269 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -19.4%

750mL bottle thanks to Bluebetty.

Golden orange, near clear on the first pour. Large fine-bubbled head drops lazily with sparse lacing to a raised ring and mini-island.

Lots of juicy fruits, mainly orange, apricot, apples, rockmelon and lemon sherbet. Hefty doses of clove and bubble gum, with moderate medicinal phenolics. Pretty mild hay funkiness and floral spice. Very appetising.

Starts with a Rauchbier-like smokiness (!) which gives way to a powerful citrus-pith sourness that largely obscures the sweet esters and phenols. Some lemony sweetness comes through eventually but doesn't stop me wondering who stole my candy..

Medium bodied with subtle carbonation. The pithy sourness dominates the mouthfeel and makes for a very dry and long-lasting finish.

Meh. Loved the nose, but don't know what happened to the flavour profile. Not a fan of the way the smokiness and domineering tartness fairly throttles much of the best aspects of the aroma. (955 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -17.2%

This was my first saison and I was surprised. The head was very nice. Large, frothy, white and lasting. The body was a murky yellow-orange with cloudy particles floating around. The aroma was powerfully spicy. The hops were nicely balanced in their power, with a hint of pine. The yeast was sweet, earthy and musty. The alcohol flavor is light, and the flavor is powerful. Full of spicy clove and pepper, and a little smokey. The body was full with a sticky thick texture. The carbonation was lively, and overall the brew had a bitter finish. The flavor had moderate sweetness, lightly acidic, and heavy bitterness. Overall a smokey, hoppy, spicy, lively brew. (660 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -17.2%

A: Quite cloudy, golden in color. One finger white head

S: Musty, funky, yeasty. Lemon rinds, honey sweetness.

T: Spiced lemon or orange juice, accents of peaches and pears. Dash of peppercorn, almost salty as well. Too much weight mid sip; should be thinner, more tart, more carbonated. Lingering lemon-ish almost pucker in the finish. Sort of odd, a difficult beer to put my finger on.

O: A good saison, held back by a slogging mouthfeel and some overly contrasted flavors. A bit tiring on the palate as the glass warms. (526 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pale saffron-tinged champagne colour. Large fluffy head, a bit light-looking. Lace likewise doesn't cling. Nice-looking but such a big head should do more, otherwise it's just cosmetic.

Loads of free radicals coming off the head. Resinous and earthy. Somewhat metallic. Hint of fruit, but it's all quite dour bitterness. Needs more dimensions.

Taste is smokey, now hmmm... didn't expect that. Meaty, smouldery, almost peaty. It's an earthy smoke with touches of sweetness. Back gets an odd champagney zest that sits ill with the front, but really it's the front that's incongruous. Just settles down into earthy bitterness. An odd package, but a decent smoky palate.

Foamy, decent body. Very clipped, dry back. OK.

Really don't know what to make of this. No smoke on the nose, but virtually nothing but smoke on the palate. As a result doesn't fit together in a symbiotic way for me. Certainly an odd saison. (920 characters)

Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - Printemps from Brasserie Fantôme