Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - Printemps - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - PrintempsFantôme Saison D'Erezée - Printemps

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-04-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - Printemps Alström Bros
chippo33

08-26-2014 15:43:56 | More by Chingringo
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

2.13/5  rDev -47.3%

750ml undated into Jackie O's large tulip. I think I got this through the Bringing Back Tradition BIF.

A- Hazy golden orange, lively carbonation, lots of tiny white bubbles that settle pretty quickly.

S- Weird nose on this one, zippy lemon and orange, like an orangina. A bit grassy too. Not really liking this.

T- Same flavor. Way too sweet. Lots of ripe fruit and a buttery sweetness. Lingering chalky bitterness. Tart and a bit sour.. very confusing. Nothing really comes together, the flavors are fighting for real estate on my tongue.

M- Too much going on, cloying sweetness, ultimately not working. Slick mouthfeel builds and creeps me out.

O- They can't all be winners. I've yet to meet a fantome that's better than the traditional saison... this one's not even close..

10-14-2011 00:28:45 | More by ShogoKawada
Absumaster

Netherlands

2.28/5  rDev -43.6%

An orange, amber beer with no head.

Smell is spicy and has a light candisugar smell, also a light tart smell.

Taste is light caramel, candisugar and tart. Bitterness is not present. Body is thin, and the beer is astringent and dry. I get some tastes which reminds me of green herbs, which give the beer a light vegetable taste. This beer is way out of balance and the tartness and dryness is too much for me. I drained the bottle!

05-28-2007 08:37:12 | More by Absumaster

07-24-2014 19:20:44 | More by imperialking
Crosling

Colorado

2.63/5  rDev -34.9%

Hay. Slight aroma of old red apples, mixed nuts, pears, toasted malts and other light fruits. Lacking the usual Fantome magic. First that miserable Black Ghost, now this very poor offering. An underlying light fruitiness with notes of pear, apple, honey, caramel, orange and lemon and just a small hint of that Fantome yeast taste that I usually love. Most of his beers are so distinctive. This isn’t.

03-23-2006 21:44:13 | More by Crosling
AgentMunky

2.65/5  rDev -34.4%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a St. Bernardus goblet.

A: Honey amber with some effervescence and the lightest of heads. Almost clear.

S: From a distance, unbearably skunky. Up close, sort of lagery and bland. Reminiscent of Heineken. Bleugh.

T: Not that good. Very Euro-lagery in character, from the light spritz to the grassy-weak hops to the grainy malt characteristic. I am incredibly disappointed, especially after other excellent Fantômes I've tasted.

M: Grainy-sweet...feels like it belongs in a 'forty.'

O: Perhaps I got a bad bottle, but this is just not very good. I would never recommend it, and I'm sceptical about paying the money to verify my terrible experience.

EDIT: I'm going to keep the above review (scores were 4.5A/2S/2.5T/2M/2O), but in an effort to improve what I was drinking, I sloshed around the last third of the beer bottle to agitate the yeast, and it definitely made the beer better. Here goes a same-night re-review.

A: Almost a finger of white, frothy head fades soon. The beer is a honey-dull brown, opaque.

S: Skunky, but with fresh flowers (jasmine?) and fruit.

T: Still grainy with skunky-poor hops, but the added yeast gives it a well needed dimension. Light spice and a fruity tartness puts up a losing battle against the overwhelming corn-like malt bill.

M: Same complaint as before...if malt liquor used Belgian yeast. ;)

O: Still not that great, but at least it's noticeably a saison.

08-08-2012 03:50:29 | More by AgentMunky
kscaldef

Oregon

2.73/5  rDev -32.4%

Pours a light straw color. Modest, quickly receding head. Aroma is dominated by a light, lemony aroma. The flavor starts lemony and floral and tart. An aftertaste builds that's grainy and bitter. I really want to like this based on the aroma and initial flavor, but the aftertaste is a real turn off. I set this aside for a bit hoping it would be more to my taste after it warmed a bit, but while a bit more malt complexity did come out, the aftertaste was there same as ever. It's a shame because I really like the standard Fantome Saison, but the additions in this variation render it really unpalatable to me.

08-25-2011 03:52:27 | More by kscaldef

coreyfmcdonald

Georgia

2.9/5  rDev -28.2%

750ml bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a bright, hazy golden color with two fingers of white head. Retention and lacing are poor.

S: Very bright, fruity and citrusy. Fresh lemon zest mixes with apricots and light to moderate funk.

T: Moderate fruity acidity is present - similar to that of an apricot. Funk comes in after that, but it is a bit odd in nature. I get a ginger flavor as well. It's like a slightly funky fruity cocktail with ginger.

M: Moderate thickness with low carbonation.

O: A roller coaster of a beer. Great color, terrible head retention and lacing, great fruity aroma, odd flavor.

06-28-2013 00:21:38 | More by coreyfmcdonald
hopsbreath

Oregon

2.95/5  rDev -27%

750ml bottle poured into a pair of Fantome tulips and shared with TulipSnifter. Cost was about $14.00 at a local Portland bottle shop.

A: Pure clear lemon juice with a huge paper white head. Ridiculous lacing. 5/5

S: Lemon zest, lemon zest, lemon zest... WOW! How do you even do that? Secondary characteristics are very herbal. Rosemary specifically is very robust. My interest is officially piqued. 4.5/5

T: Rosemary dominates here again. I'm going out on a limb here and saying that it was definitely a brewing ingredient. Unfortunately, it comes off a little too strong and is cloyingly powerful. Some esters and a small amount of funk linger in the background but little else is discernable. I can't call this good because of how it turns one-dimensional, and I can't even call it average since it's so unique. I'm afraid I'm just not impressed by this bottle of Fantome. 2/5

M: Creamy body with soft carbonation. Just what I expect from a Fantome. 4/5

O: It smells great but fails on the taste. A below average score seems appropriate. Due to bottle variation, I would be willing to give this another chance, but this is one variation I would not want to revisit. 2.5/5

05-23-2011 08:13:04 | More by hopsbreath
freewill35

Indiana

08-03-2013 23:20:51 | More by freewill35
Gonzoillini

04-25-2014 19:44:54 | More by Gonzoillini
Chinon01

I found all aspects of this beer to be pleasing other than the taste. It was a murky brownish gray color with nice head retention. The smell was intense saison (earth, spice, friut) along with a medicinal quality. The taste was where it didn't work for me. The overriding flavor was herbaceousness to the point of being medicinal. Other qualities were there but I didn't find the taste pleasant. Mouthfeel juicey and full and pleasant. Drinkability I can only score around average because I didn't care for taste.

08-02-2008 12:14:37 | More by Chinon01