Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - Printemps - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - PrintempsFantôme Saison D'Erezée - Printemps

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-04-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - Printemps Alström Bros
RblWthACoz

3.68/5  rDev -8.7%

Pours a rather dark amber brown with a smaller creme head. Nose is slightly yeasty and grassy, but rather mild. Certainly not what I have come to find other Fantome brews to be. Flavor is a bit different than I am used to from these guys. I get a subdued sweet with a tart ending. Almost a old grass influence, but very mild. Touch of wood. Tangy is the key word here I think. Feel is fairly standard for the style. It is drinkable, sure. But I am wondering if this is a bad bottle, or just how the style is. There is nothing really exciting or interesting about this beer, except how different it is from others from the same brewery.

12-31-2007 09:00:13 | More by RblWthACoz
MiguelMandingo

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

I picked this up at Broudy's in Jacksonville, Florida. Every single Fantome I have had has been nothing short of amazing. These beers should be sought out.

Poured part of a 750ml into a tulip glass.

Appearance - Solid four finger head that took forever to dissipate - and it never fully dissipated, it just left a huge crown on top of the beer. It is a hazy orange copper color, with a little bit of sediment suspended throughout the haze. It left a ton of lacing the further along I progress through the brew. I don't think a beer could look much better.

Smell - All of the Fantome beers I have had smell similar to each other. There is a wild yeast scent that permeates throughout - very sour. It smells very fruity, like apricot or dried fruits. There is an earthy and musty scent as well. There is an evolution of scents in this one.

Flavor - The flavor is all over the place. There is a sweet fruity front taste, very apricot-like and lemony, with a slight sour flavor, intermingled with dried fruit. There is a dusty, earthy flavor mixed in as well, blended with some type of spice . The end is very bitter, the hops really shine through - bitter and floral. The sour note reminds me of a wild ale (not nearly as dramatic, though) or something like a biere de garde - some type of wild fermentation is at play here.

Mouthfeel - It is on the lighter end of medium bodied. It is very effervescent, which fits the style nicely, IMO. The finish is very dry, very crisp. It is funny how a beer can be both creamy and effervescent at the same time, but this beer does it. Each sip is a pleasure.

Drinkability - The drinkability is great. It a highly pleasurable drink, goes down easy and is incredibly smooth. This is something I will probably search out year to year, as I will with most Fantome offerings.

Fantome is awesome, I only wish they sold this in Texas. Search this one out, and hoard it - share it with the worthy.

12-23-2007 05:47:27 | More by MiguelMandingo
Metalmonk

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours a thick creamy head, built of impossibly small bubbles, very typically Belgian in appearance. Color is a glowing burnt orange/amber with serious bubble activity and just hazy enough to call beautiful. The abundant lace puts it over the top. This achieves that perfect look...according to my definition of what constitutes a perfect-looking beer.

The aroma features rough lemon and musty earth, backed up by flowery spices and something vaguely mineral. Sour cherry emerges after a bit. Delightful.

Flavor is definitely unusual. Probably the most intriguing and, as the label boasts, "adventurous" of the Fantomes to cross this tongue. There's a flash of crushed grain and rust (if I could imagine the flavor of rust) and then a sour fruitiness, but without the band-aid funk or yeasty slap many in this or the Biere de Garde style achieve. Sour cherry and grapefruit rind, and eventually, as it warms, less aggressive fruits, like banana and pear. An almost peat-like earthiness comes forth, the kind you might recognize from a Scotch Ale, but that's where the comparison ends; the malts here are light and bright while also possessing a raw, grainy feel. Sourness comes back to visit in the finish, puckering the insides of the cheeks, while a yeasty nuttiness tries pushing its way in. Very good, with remarkable complexity.

Not exactly sure how to rate the mouthfeel...it's an afterthought in the wake of each extremely interesting sip. Airy and springy, nice and dry, holding its own, but maybe on the too-thin side...or maybe not. It's fine.

Because this is such an interesting experience, something that makes you go "huh?" and has you contemplating rather than gulping to get drunk (respect beer!), and because this is pretty much the last thing you'd sit around downing with buddies while watching the game or whatever...and because it's a bit rare, maybe you wouldn't rate the drinkability through the roof. But then again, you might. One thing's for sure, it's an untamed, uncompromising, unusual Belgian ale...absolutely worth seeking out.

11-14-2007 00:24:17 | More by Metalmonk
Fugazme

Nebraska

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

Finally broke down and spent the money at Spirit World... priced at $16.99... but the manager gave it to me for $14.99...

A wonderful "pop" of the cork... a nice musty aroma emerged from the bottle with a bit of mist...

Pours a great orangey/coppery glassfull with a good bright white head... goes down fast to a pretty good looking cap and swirl is excellent.

Aroma is very cheesy and musty... this beer is a couple of years old by default being at Spirit World (they just hauled out last years christmas beers to sell for this year) and has stood up very well. Lots of lemony sourness... very nice.

Taste is sour upfront... bit of sour apple and lemon... lots of funkiness... quite good.

Mouthfeel is even a touch creamy.

Worth the wait and the money...

10-05-2007 04:09:05 | More by Fugazme
Rainintheface

25.4oz bottle poured into Large glass mug

A: cloudy apple cider appearance with off white boredering on tan three finger head. darker than I anticipated. There were some floaties, at first I thought "cork" but it wasn't. spices?

S: a bit sour. granny smith apples, earthy, musty yeast

T: tart, puckering green apples, spices

M medium body with medium carbonation. fairly dry finish and as the saison warms the alcohol shows its presence just so slightly

D: certainly drinkable on this hot day but not quite as quaffable as say... a Hennepin

Very nice saison. I will pick up other Fantome offerings.

09-08-2007 22:36:05 | More by Rainintheface
perfectkaos

3.9/5  rDev -3.2%

Split this one with my dad on our first trip to the Burger Bar in Las Vegas.

Poured from a 750 into tulip glasses, the beer was an orange color with a small foamy head, that never receded

lots of hops and an almost grassy aroma with some lemon notes too.

very crisp beer. hoppy, but not overly so. nice mix of spices make for a tart flavor, but nothing overpowering.

definitely an interesting beer, not one thats an easy drinker, but it was a good thirst quencher. went well with the fried vegetable appetizers we were eating

08-30-2007 01:02:10 | More by perfectkaos
dfried

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Hazy straw yellow in color, sudsy big bubbled head forms then quickly fell to nothing. There was a ton of bubbles clinging to the sides and rising right after the pour, then poof no head at all, wierd. Zesty lemon aroma, some wheaty notes, and perfumy herbs. The taste reflected the lack of carbonation, it was kind of flat and almost tea like in flavor. Tons of lemon in the flavor, some other citrusy notes like oranges. Musty barnyard grass and wheat flavors are there but take a back seat to the tangy, spicy herbal and citrus flavors. Despite the low carbonation, the mouthfeel was still quite tangy.

Overall: I am not quite sure if they intended this beer to be this low on CO2, and have zero head retention, but the flavors were still there and I thought it was pretty good all in all. The zesty-est saison I have tried. My drinking companion said it reminded her of orange spice tea. Great sping offering.

05-29-2007 20:19:23 | More by dfried
Absumaster

Netherlands

2.28/5  rDev -43.4%

An orange, amber beer with no head.

Smell is spicy and has a light candisugar smell, also a light tart smell.

Taste is light caramel, candisugar and tart. Bitterness is not present. Body is thin, and the beer is astringent and dry. I get some tastes which reminds me of green herbs, which give the beer a light vegetable taste. This beer is way out of balance and the tartness and dryness is too much for me. I drained the bottle!

05-28-2007 08:37:12 | More by Absumaster
Cascadia

Oregon

4.28/5  rDev +6.2%

Just had this beer on tap last night, awesome. Tastes of citrus and spice, but balenced well with the hops. Very east to drink and a great way to end a long day in the sun. While Saisons are not typically my favorite, I would get this one again. Fantome beers are always fun to try and vary nicely year to year.

05-24-2007 15:12:24 | More by Cascadia
Georgiabeer

Georgia

4.6/5  rDev +14.1%

This is one of those beers that fresher is definitely better. Some of the other reviews just don't sound like the same beer! This one pours a hazy orange amber with a fine head that fades to a cap for the duration of my enjoyment of the beer. The smell is amazing- it smells strongly of luscious apricots with a touch of honey and a backnote of lemon. The taste is crisp with some light grain notes, lighter apricot flavors, the trademark Fantome pepperiness, some lemon, and apple peel on the finish. Very interesting and nice flavor combination. Typically crisp and refreshing mouthfeel for this brewery. Very nice, one of my favorites of theirs.

05-22-2007 17:04:28 | More by Georgiabeer
scott

3.13/5  rDev -22.3%

V.07
Let me begin this review stating that I have high regard for Fantome/Saisons/funky gueuze-like beers.

Great hazy straw color, and a loose but high foam that sticks around for a minute or two.
Harsh main-line of lemon zest through the nose. A little grass & funk as well. This is where I became skeptical, but I do love challenges.
A harsh astringent band-aid wrapped around more lemon & grass.
Sour & dry, almost to point of being unpleasant. A sour that isn't challenging in a fun kind-of-way.
No complexity, and it doesn't pair well. I tried cheese, bread, BBQ...I love Fantome. They rock my world this one didn't. I didn't find one solid quality in this, aside from the appearance. Complete let-down.

05-13-2007 03:46:51 | More by scott
Delerium

Maine

4.85/5  rDev +20.3%

Wow....
Dani definetely hit this batch with a zest of Tangerine, you can smell it, taste it, and feel it. Nice hop notes, very dry, crisp, and clean. This is totally different than last years batch (as is always with Fantomes beers). This is beer is VERY REFRESHING. The key word to this beer is BALANCE, and this is the perfect example of a Spiced Saison. An absolute masterpiece, and a religious experience. I highly recommend this beer. Chris

05-12-2007 03:59:17 | More by Delerium

Strong pepper
grass Hay
hint of sweet lemon

A challenging ale

Pours a murky yellow tan
with a tiny fading head

Grand Cru like sourness
without the fruitiness

Mouthfeel is good and
nicely carbonated

drinkability is hampered by the sourness
but makes
a nice sipping ale with dinner
(not my favorite cup of saison
but quality stuff nonetheless)

03-03-2007 00:50:00 | More by meadhead
bennetj17

Arizona

4.55/5  rDev +12.9%

750ml, corked and caged. Purchased about a year ago at Cyclone Liquors in Ames, Iowa.

The colour is a hazy, orange/copper with a thick tan head about 1/2 inch. The head holds well for a few moments before it dissolves into a thin film. Subtle carbonation appears throughout. In the first whiff I know right away I've got a Fantome: awesome, funky citrus/fruit aroma with plenty of coriander and other earthy spice. I almost get a note of fresh cut lumber, which is odd but interesting.

The taste starts out with a tangy sweetness, with some floral spiciness in the mix. The finish changes a bit with some dry, leafy, sweet corn notes, and an unexpectedly decent bitter flavor. The body is light to medium, with some moderate carbonation. Solid.

I love the earthy, peppery spice of a good Saison, and the Printemps demonstrates this with a great added complexity. There is such a range of flavors (sweet, sour, spicy, bitter) all rolled into one, that this beer is one hell of a balanced gem. I am not sure of the actual date on this, but it must have had the right amount of age on it when I opened it. Recommended...

02-20-2007 05:12:48 | More by bennetj17
ccrida

Oregon

4.78/5  rDev +18.6%

My second bottle, about a year apart, and a totally different experience from the first bottle I had, much for the better. I've always heard about the variability across batches, but this is the first time I've really experienced it out of way to many of their beers - or should I say never enough! My first Printemps was super dry, all acrid black pepper and dandelion. This one is more of the classic Fantôme Saison that I expected. I added my old scores to my first review, below, and re-scored it in the DB for this one.
Poured in to my large Gulden Draak tulip (I love my Fantôme one but it's too small, and upstairs!), this Printemps is basically the same dark gold color with the same big head but with some chunky foam leftovers this time.

Smell is classic Fantôme, fruity and floral, perfume like, with a touch of dusty chalk. Before even tasting this bottle, I knew it was as intended and my first bottle was off (or perhaps just super aged and brett'd beyond belief, although I love wild ales and think I would have realized that). It helps that I've had both the regular Saison, Hiver and La Dalmatienne within the last 2 weeks, so I'm pretty tuned into Dany's vibe right now - tis the season, with the stupid heat we're getting in Portland right now, over 100F this weekend...

Taste is also more standard Fantôme, this one a bit more peppery then the rest, but not nearly as one-dimensionally acerbic as the first bottle I had, balanced by the sweet fruit and malty backbone. The sourness is light, mainly a lactic finish, which is awesome. Although I prefer with more pucker, so in the cellar they go as long as I can hold out!

Mouthfeel seems a bit full at first, but the finish is very dry quenching, with a lingering spicy aftertaste. Damn do I love saison's!

Drinkability is the tits. You can't get enough. This is Fantôme in all it's glory. Drink Deep.

1st review - 02-02-2007
C+ / 3.1
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | drink: 2

I had really high hope's for the Printemps, as the Ete is one of my favorite beers of all time. I hate to say, I was disappointed. My experience was a bit different from that of the other reviewers though, so maybe my bottle was sitting on the supermarket shelf a bit to long, refrigerated but exposed to light.
Anyways, the appearance started off good, poured from a 1pt 9,4 fl bottle into a Fantôme tulip [my favorite glass btw], it was a cloudy golden orange with a creamy, two finger off white head, that stayed across the beer to the end, but left no lace. Next to the volume was "07", presumably the best before date, as I bought this the first week of 07, so it was clearly not bottled then - perhaps last spring?

The aroma was sweet and floral, with a distinct woody character, the requisite brett. sourness. So far so good.

As for taste, it was initially very floral, but is quickly overwhelmed by extreme bitterness - not a hop bitterness, but very astringent, like pepper, with dandelion and a burnt smoky, cork taste. I thought maybe the cork had gone bad, but there was not indication on examination, it in fact looked pretty fresh. Was this thing just over spiced or did I get a skunk or what, I don't know. I really had trouble getting through the bottle, although I should note that it opened up quite a bit beyond the extreme astringency, but still not very approachable.

It had a rich, creamy mouthfeel, but was just way to bitter to be that drinkable. I will have to try another bottle [from a different store] and see how it compares.

02-02-2007 03:48:34 | More by ccrida
bluejacket74

3.95/5  rDev -2%

Served in a tulip glass, the beer pours a dark amber color with a large, carbonated off-white head. It smells spicy, yeasty and a bit like sour apples. It tastes like pepper (spice), grass/hay, and like grapefruit. It also finishes with a crisp sour apple tang. The alcohol warming kicks in a bit after a few sips. Mouthfeel is light/medium, with a dry finish. Drinkability is good too. Overall it's a good beer, but I don't think it's worth the price.

01-02-2007 00:54:07 | More by bluejacket74
scruffwhor

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a billowy head with solid retention. A bold, deep amber greats your eyes with a light ruby glow in the center. The bubbles look really nice amidts such a nice color. The head could have been a bit more robust for my taste though. The was a barnyard malt with some hints of light apple vinager and grass. The taste was very wild and mildy tart. Does have a very Spring-like palate. tart and sunny with lots of fresh cut grass dancing gently on you palate. Good for sipping with a nice meal. Grab some if you ever see this at your beer store.

12-27-2006 05:04:50 | More by scruffwhor
dogfooddog

Panama

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

from a trade with rajendra82.

750ml bottle, no apparent date. pours into a chalice with a small off-white head, amber colored beer.

very peppery, spicy nose in front of the typical fantome barnyard, grassy/hay-like odors. very attractive, exquisite, in fact.

taste is more than anything peppery at first, then as that fades there is a hints of bitterness, and the barnyard notes appear some, but a bit limited. There is a sense of warming sourness around this, maybe the alcohol but it doesn't feel like 'alcohol taste.'

As always, an unusual and excellent beer from Fantome. This is without a doubt one of the most distinct brewers I know of.

12-02-2006 03:01:07 | More by dogfooddog
geexploitation

Indiana

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a dark amber with a fluffy white head that sticks quite a bit to the sides of my glass. Funky, typical Fantome aromas with citric backing to them. The aroma has hints of gueuze to it; it's just not nearly as sharp. On the palate, there's an initial sharp carbonation bite on the front of the tongue, followed by mostly sour fruits tinged with just a hint of malt sweetness. Sharp citrus fruits and hop oils are felt toward the back of the tongue. The finish is very long and active at both the back of the tongue and the front. Overall, this is a lovely saison, at least if you like the funky and sharp ones.

11-10-2006 03:38:52 | More by geexploitation
goschool

3.23/5  rDev -19.9%

I was really excited to get my hands on another Fantome. I had a big smile on my face all the way up until I took my first sip. The pour looks great. A hazy orange with an endless head. The nose is pretty good too. There is lemon, white wine, and funk. The taste? Well it's not so great. As it warms up the pepper and sour red apple flavor gets much less offensive, but this never comes close to beginning to enter the realm of the other Fantomes I've had the pleasure of drinking.

09-25-2006 06:44:13 | More by goschool
cproioi

3.58/5  rDev -11.2%

The beer pours a honey like body with loads of carbonation present by way of a huge froathy white head that leaves Belgian style lacing. The nose is very yeasty with hints of spices. Very pleasant taste too. Has a slight lemony after taste to it with a spicey hoppiness and other spices present. The mouth feel is very dry with a slight alcohol induced tingle. Lovely beer great hot summer day beer.

09-15-2006 19:54:22 | More by cproioi
rayjay

Hawaii

4.72/5  rDev +17.1%

Deep ruby orange color with medium carbonation and a thick brownish-white head. Smells like sourdough bread. Great flavor of carmel malts and light bitter hops with a twangy sour yeast kick that dominates the aftertaste; I get that same tangyness from some old ales, Yard's Old Bart, and Courage RIS and I love it and want to learrn more about it. Finish is very dry and makes you want more. Alcohol is extremely well hidden. Wit beer texture. Refreshing and lip-smacking good. Even better as it warms. I LOVE THIS BEER!!! Must seek out more...

09-14-2006 01:16:49 | More by rayjay
Photo of

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

750ml bottle. A cloudy yellow-orange liquid flowed into the glass and formed a huge light tan head. Aroma was overwhelming, spice (coriander?), barn yard, orange, grass, lemon, and on and on. Taste was, at first, puckeringly sour. This may have been a goof on my part as I had enjoyed a Loterbol before jumping into this beer. As I drank and the beer warmed, the sour character moderated into a much tastier citrus flavor. Grapefruit may have been the predominant fruit I picked up. Spices showed in the mix as well. Alcohol was well hidden from a taste perspective, showing up as pepper in the finish and a warming glow that started after the first few ounces. Mouthfeel was fairly light, hugely carbonated, and slightly astringent. Overall, quite a ride. I didn't like it that much at first, but now I am wishing I had picked up a second bottle.

09-06-2006 14:05:20 | More by
emerge077

4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

This has been an elusive one to track down... Once the cap comes off, the cork slowly and mysteriously works itself free, as if pulled by a phantom's death grip.

Wisps of gunsmoke waft from the bottle, exhibiting little carbonation at first. After pouring, the glass explodes with foam, but luckily is contained. A good four fingers of foam remain in the bottle for the duration. The body is a burnt orange, obscured under cascading dirty foam. An aroma of sweet and earthy spice is present.

First taste is rich and malty, but alternately unique and spicy. The sweet malt up front is countered by a residual bitterness, and earthy spice at the end, not unlike baker's chocolate. It's similar to an old ale, but with the effervescence and spice of a saison.

The richness makes this one a moderate sipper, but with a dryness that makes you crave more. Very impressive!

08-30-2006 02:15:36 | More by emerge077
bucko

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%

This beer pours a nice copper/orange color with a dense off-white head. The aroma is earthy, slightly musty and spicy. Citrus notes come through as well. The flavor... wow... grapefruit, pepper, earth... Damn, I'm really enjoying this. Everything melds together nicely... a great blend of flavors. I can't say enough good things about this beer. Overall very drinkable... hard to believe it's 8% alcohol. The only thing keeping me from drinking this every few days is the price. Other than that, though, I have no complaints. Great beer.

07-25-2006 06:11:20 | More by bucko