Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - Printemps - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - PrintempsFantôme Saison D'Erezée - Printemps

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-04-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - Printemps Alström Bros
Delerium

Maine

4.85/5  rDev +19.8%

Wow....
Dani definetely hit this batch with a zest of Tangerine, you can smell it, taste it, and feel it. Nice hop notes, very dry, crisp, and clean. This is totally different than last years batch (as is always with Fantomes beers). This is beer is VERY REFRESHING. The key word to this beer is BALANCE, and this is the perfect example of a Spiced Saison. An absolute masterpiece, and a religious experience. I highly recommend this beer. Chris

05-12-2007 03:59:17 | More by Delerium

Strong pepper
grass Hay
hint of sweet lemon

A challenging ale

Pours a murky yellow tan
with a tiny fading head

Grand Cru like sourness
without the fruitiness

Mouthfeel is good and
nicely carbonated

drinkability is hampered by the sourness
but makes
a nice sipping ale with dinner
(not my favorite cup of saison
but quality stuff nonetheless)

03-03-2007 00:50:00 | More by meadhead
bennetj17

4.55/5  rDev +12.3%

750ml, corked and caged. Purchased about a year ago at Cyclone Liquors in Ames, Iowa.

The colour is a hazy, orange/copper with a thick tan head about 1/2 inch. The head holds well for a few moments before it dissolves into a thin film. Subtle carbonation appears throughout. In the first whiff I know right away I've got a Fantome: awesome, funky citrus/fruit aroma with plenty of coriander and other earthy spice. I almost get a note of fresh cut lumber, which is odd but interesting.

The taste starts out with a tangy sweetness, with some floral spiciness in the mix. The finish changes a bit with some dry, leafy, sweet corn notes, and an unexpectedly decent bitter flavor. The body is light to medium, with some moderate carbonation. Solid.

I love the earthy, peppery spice of a good Saison, and the Printemps demonstrates this with a great added complexity. There is such a range of flavors (sweet, sour, spicy, bitter) all rolled into one, that this beer is one hell of a balanced gem. I am not sure of the actual date on this, but it must have had the right amount of age on it when I opened it. Recommended...

02-20-2007 05:12:48 | More by bennetj17
ccrida

Oregon

4.78/5  rDev +18%

My second bottle, about a year apart, and a totally different experience from the first bottle I had, much for the better. I've always heard about the variability across batches, but this is the first time I've really experienced it out of way to many of their beers - or should I say never enough! My first Printemps was super dry, all acrid black pepper and dandelion. This one is more of the classic Fantôme Saison that I expected. I added my old scores to my first review, below, and re-scored it in the DB for this one.
Poured in to my large Gulden Draak tulip (I love my Fantôme one but it's too small, and upstairs!), this Printemps is basically the same dark gold color with the same big head but with some chunky foam leftovers this time.

Smell is classic Fantôme, fruity and floral, perfume like, with a touch of dusty chalk. Before even tasting this bottle, I knew it was as intended and my first bottle was off (or perhaps just super aged and brett'd beyond belief, although I love wild ales and think I would have realized that). It helps that I've had both the regular Saison, Hiver and La Dalmatienne within the last 2 weeks, so I'm pretty tuned into Dany's vibe right now - tis the season, with the stupid heat we're getting in Portland right now, over 100F this weekend...

Taste is also more standard Fantôme, this one a bit more peppery then the rest, but not nearly as one-dimensionally acerbic as the first bottle I had, balanced by the sweet fruit and malty backbone. The sourness is light, mainly a lactic finish, which is awesome. Although I prefer with more pucker, so in the cellar they go as long as I can hold out!

Mouthfeel seems a bit full at first, but the finish is very dry quenching, with a lingering spicy aftertaste. Damn do I love saison's!

Drinkability is the tits. You can't get enough. This is Fantôme in all it's glory. Drink Deep.

1st review - 02-02-2007
C+ / 3.1
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | drink: 2

I had really high hope's for the Printemps, as the Ete is one of my favorite beers of all time. I hate to say, I was disappointed. My experience was a bit different from that of the other reviewers though, so maybe my bottle was sitting on the supermarket shelf a bit to long, refrigerated but exposed to light.
Anyways, the appearance started off good, poured from a 1pt 9,4 fl bottle into a Fantôme tulip [my favorite glass btw], it was a cloudy golden orange with a creamy, two finger off white head, that stayed across the beer to the end, but left no lace. Next to the volume was "07", presumably the best before date, as I bought this the first week of 07, so it was clearly not bottled then - perhaps last spring?

The aroma was sweet and floral, with a distinct woody character, the requisite brett. sourness. So far so good.

As for taste, it was initially very floral, but is quickly overwhelmed by extreme bitterness - not a hop bitterness, but very astringent, like pepper, with dandelion and a burnt smoky, cork taste. I thought maybe the cork had gone bad, but there was not indication on examination, it in fact looked pretty fresh. Was this thing just over spiced or did I get a skunk or what, I don't know. I really had trouble getting through the bottle, although I should note that it opened up quite a bit beyond the extreme astringency, but still not very approachable.

It had a rich, creamy mouthfeel, but was just way to bitter to be that drinkable. I will have to try another bottle [from a different store] and see how it compares.

02-02-2007 03:48:34 | More by ccrida
bluejacket74

3.95/5  rDev -2.5%

Served in a tulip glass, the beer pours a dark amber color with a large, carbonated off-white head. It smells spicy, yeasty and a bit like sour apples. It tastes like pepper (spice), grass/hay, and like grapefruit. It also finishes with a crisp sour apple tang. The alcohol warming kicks in a bit after a few sips. Mouthfeel is light/medium, with a dry finish. Drinkability is good too. Overall it's a good beer, but I don't think it's worth the price.

01-02-2007 00:54:07 | More by bluejacket74
scruffwhor

4.2/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a billowy head with solid retention. A bold, deep amber greats your eyes with a light ruby glow in the center. The bubbles look really nice amidts such a nice color. The head could have been a bit more robust for my taste though. The was a barnyard malt with some hints of light apple vinager and grass. The taste was very wild and mildy tart. Does have a very Spring-like palate. tart and sunny with lots of fresh cut grass dancing gently on you palate. Good for sipping with a nice meal. Grab some if you ever see this at your beer store.

12-27-2006 05:04:50 | More by scruffwhor
dogfooddog

Panama

4.3/5  rDev +6.2%

from a trade with rajendra82.

750ml bottle, no apparent date. pours into a chalice with a small off-white head, amber colored beer.

very peppery, spicy nose in front of the typical fantome barnyard, grassy/hay-like odors. very attractive, exquisite, in fact.

taste is more than anything peppery at first, then as that fades there is a hints of bitterness, and the barnyard notes appear some, but a bit limited. There is a sense of warming sourness around this, maybe the alcohol but it doesn't feel like 'alcohol taste.'

As always, an unusual and excellent beer from Fantome. This is without a doubt one of the most distinct brewers I know of.

12-02-2006 03:01:07 | More by dogfooddog
geexploitation

Indiana

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours a dark amber with a fluffy white head that sticks quite a bit to the sides of my glass. Funky, typical Fantome aromas with citric backing to them. The aroma has hints of gueuze to it; it's just not nearly as sharp. On the palate, there's an initial sharp carbonation bite on the front of the tongue, followed by mostly sour fruits tinged with just a hint of malt sweetness. Sharp citrus fruits and hop oils are felt toward the back of the tongue. The finish is very long and active at both the back of the tongue and the front. Overall, this is a lovely saison, at least if you like the funky and sharp ones.

11-10-2006 03:38:52 | More by geexploitation
goschool

3.23/5  rDev -20.2%

I was really excited to get my hands on another Fantome. I had a big smile on my face all the way up until I took my first sip. The pour looks great. A hazy orange with an endless head. The nose is pretty good too. There is lemon, white wine, and funk. The taste? Well it's not so great. As it warms up the pepper and sour red apple flavor gets much less offensive, but this never comes close to beginning to enter the realm of the other Fantomes I've had the pleasure of drinking.

09-25-2006 06:44:13 | More by goschool
cproioi

3.58/5  rDev -11.6%

The beer pours a honey like body with loads of carbonation present by way of a huge froathy white head that leaves Belgian style lacing. The nose is very yeasty with hints of spices. Very pleasant taste too. Has a slight lemony after taste to it with a spicey hoppiness and other spices present. The mouth feel is very dry with a slight alcohol induced tingle. Lovely beer great hot summer day beer.

09-15-2006 19:54:22 | More by cproioi
rayjay

Hawaii

4.72/5  rDev +16.5%

Deep ruby orange color with medium carbonation and a thick brownish-white head. Smells like sourdough bread. Great flavor of carmel malts and light bitter hops with a twangy sour yeast kick that dominates the aftertaste; I get that same tangyness from some old ales, Yard's Old Bart, and Courage RIS and I love it and want to learrn more about it. Finish is very dry and makes you want more. Alcohol is extremely well hidden. Wit beer texture. Refreshing and lip-smacking good. Even better as it warms. I LOVE THIS BEER!!! Must seek out more...

09-14-2006 01:16:49 | More by rayjay
Photo of

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

750ml bottle. A cloudy yellow-orange liquid flowed into the glass and formed a huge light tan head. Aroma was overwhelming, spice (coriander?), barn yard, orange, grass, lemon, and on and on. Taste was, at first, puckeringly sour. This may have been a goof on my part as I had enjoyed a Loterbol before jumping into this beer. As I drank and the beer warmed, the sour character moderated into a much tastier citrus flavor. Grapefruit may have been the predominant fruit I picked up. Spices showed in the mix as well. Alcohol was well hidden from a taste perspective, showing up as pepper in the finish and a warming glow that started after the first few ounces. Mouthfeel was fairly light, hugely carbonated, and slightly astringent. Overall, quite a ride. I didn't like it that much at first, but now I am wishing I had picked up a second bottle.

09-06-2006 14:05:20 | More by
emerge077

4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

This has been an elusive one to track down... Once the cap comes off, the cork slowly and mysteriously works itself free, as if pulled by a phantom's death grip.

Wisps of gunsmoke waft from the bottle, exhibiting little carbonation at first. After pouring, the glass explodes with foam, but luckily is contained. A good four fingers of foam remain in the bottle for the duration. The body is a burnt orange, obscured under cascading dirty foam. An aroma of sweet and earthy spice is present.

First taste is rich and malty, but alternately unique and spicy. The sweet malt up front is countered by a residual bitterness, and earthy spice at the end, not unlike baker's chocolate. It's similar to an old ale, but with the effervescence and spice of a saison.

The richness makes this one a moderate sipper, but with a dryness that makes you crave more. Very impressive!

08-30-2006 02:15:36 | More by emerge077
bucko

4.22/5  rDev +4.2%

This beer pours a nice copper/orange color with a dense off-white head. The aroma is earthy, slightly musty and spicy. Citrus notes come through as well. The flavor... wow... grapefruit, pepper, earth... Damn, I'm really enjoying this. Everything melds together nicely... a great blend of flavors. I can't say enough good things about this beer. Overall very drinkable... hard to believe it's 8% alcohol. The only thing keeping me from drinking this every few days is the price. Other than that, though, I have no complaints. Great beer.

07-25-2006 06:11:20 | More by bucko
cjgator3

4.13/5  rDev +2%

Comes in a capped and corked 750ml bottle. Pours a hazy orange color with a nice thick head. Aroma is dominated by an spicey and earthy yeast flavor that is quite pleasant. The taste starts off with a musty barnyard and finishes extremely dry, tart and crisp. Mouthfeel is light with and crisp that is nicely carbonated. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this interesting brew and will definately try again.

07-22-2006 04:26:58 | More by cjgator3
GClarkage

3.7/5  rDev -8.6%

07/11/06- Purchased at Sun Devil Liquors in Mesa, AZ.

Presentation- 750ml bottle. Capped and corked. Dating of some kind on the cork itself. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Clouded orange-yellow in color. Smaller head than expected...maybe a 1/4 inch which settles to a nice rim. Light spotty and streaky lacing.

Smell- Heavy on the lemon and lime rind. Not as funky as some from Fantome. Maybe a wee bit of urine for good measure. Spices are there, but not overpowering.

Taste- First taste gives a very hearty limeade flavor. A bit of powdered sugar follows. Sour, but not too sour and sweet but not too sweet...if that makes any sense. Touches of corriander and white pepper...seems watery in the aftertaste. As if it's missing something to hold it together.

Mouthfeel- Medium to a lower mouthfeel. Dry and waterlike in the finish.

Drinkability- Hmmm, maybe this one was a bit past it's prime...seemed a tad flat. Still had good taste. Just lacking something to bring it all together...will snag another one in the future to compare if I can find one.

07-12-2006 17:16:51 | More by GClarkage
gonzo138

4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

my first saison, a very unique style, a nice golden color, smelled a little tart, good carbonation, my friends did not agree with with me that its dry taste was reminiscant of a white wine. After drinking it i simply could not stop talking about how unique this brew was. Not something to drink all the time, but worth picking up for a special occiasion or maybe just a long hot day in AZ

07-07-2006 11:05:55 | More by gonzo138
IceAce

4.18/5  rDev +3.2%

750 ml bottle w/o dating

Giddy with excitement I pop the cap and pull the cork and receive a hearty "BOOP!"

Pours a deep peach color with four fingers of pock-marked tan foam. The receeding collar leaves an intricate pattern of lace on my Duvel tulip.

Nose is hugely phenolic; musty, dusty, with a background of Grandma's spice drawer. Long slow deep breaths leave the senses reeling with delight.

Entry lacks the expected fireworks and imparts a fuzzy mouthfeel. Midtaste shows saffron, mixed citrus, and an interesting malt/B-yeast combo. The finish is intensely peppery and proclaims tartness without being sour and finishes bone dry.

A very different take on the Saison style from one of the best.

06-30-2006 06:31:13 | More by IceAce
nlmartin

This beer was purchased at Jungle Jims for $8.99. The beer was served in a wide mouthed wine goblet.

Appearance: The beer has a hazy coppery coloration. The beer has major amounts of sediment. The head is one finger high with a yellowish cream coloration. Rings of lacing remain behind on my glass.

Smell: The beer has a very good sweet and sour grainyness. The beer has heaps of peppery mustyness.

Taste: The beer has a funky yeast driven flavor. The beer has a very grainy malty flavor. The beer is spiced with peppery coriander, citrus zest, lemon and lime juicyness. The taste is tart but not quiet sour.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is light bodied. The beer has good carbonation. The beer has a good funky spicy tartness overall. This is not a bad beer; however, this is my least favorite fantome beer. I wouldnt turn my nose up at it and may yet drink this again.

06-26-2006 11:56:29 | More by nlmartin
tavernjef

4.03/5  rDev -0.5%

Dark orange cloud with a hard glow in bright light. Solid medium sized lightly yellowed cap puffs up quickly to reside to a firm lasting cap of about a quarter inch always present. Lacing is lightly foamy and patterned in thick strings and a few spots.

Aroma has a popping spice of lemon pepper with a slight musky rustic wave from the yeast action and a slight grassyness. Gently powering and adequately waftable on the nose.

Taste is quite spicy and complexly driven by the yeasty stuff. Partailly souring with lemon juice and lime skin, a bit of tangerine sticks to the gums and tongue in parts of the late finish. Tiny bits of white pepper, corriander, metalic scrappings, and high toned grasses make for lots of added interest. Nothing to withstanding in length as the peppery notes and tin phenols are the only thing that seems to stick in warmth as it floats into the finish. A light citrusy center envelopes as it begins to warm. The spices are quite complexing, but not quite as impressionable for me as the malt body in this is shortened compartively to other Fantome brews I like alot. Although, If ya like spicy beers, this will definately float your palate boat. A little too spicy for my buds, but likeable in an intriguing fashion as it tends to grow on ya with a wonderful spicy warmth.

Feel is firm and active with a whole lot of vibrant, mouth tenderizing spicyness. Mildly souring in a moderate tone of acceptable lemony-limeness and broadening yeasty grab and heavy texture. Dryness is also frim and moderate in tone, making for a slower session.

06-22-2006 01:19:14 | More by tavernjef
ADR

4.2/5  rDev +3.7%

Slightly translucent pale yellow appearance with lots of interior bubbles. Head is pale and fluffy, rises to almost 3/4 of an inch. Laces in delicate patches all over the glass. Good aroma, definite and distinct yeastiness with elements of fresh-cut grass, lemon, and teaberry. Light mouthfeel and active carbonation. Palate cleansing flavors, dry with apple and citric tartness but with a decent malt lying underneath. Flavor mixes well with the aroma for a well-rounded package. A little fuzzy and fizzy but one of those beers that stimulates the mouth and works the salivary glands. Very nice drinkability.

06-19-2006 01:40:22 | More by ADR
xgrigorix

4.3/5  rDev +6.2%

Green 750 ml bottle, corked & capped. No dates.

Pale straw gold, clear. Fluffy white head leaves patchy lace behind.

Fresh cut grass, spicy/yeasty aroma.

Moderately tart. Lively with a slight acidity. Herbal, woody, & grassy. Moderate biterness. Muted fruit. Medium body, moderate carbonation. Fine example of a saison.

06-03-2006 02:38:58 | More by xgrigorix
Naerhu

Japan

Thanks to Robbeer for bringing this to Japan.

A - Slightly opaque orange body with a thin head.
S - Slight tangerine peel with nutty malt and hay overtones.
T - Dry, pepper, apples, more hay, light on the bitternes. A touch of sourness.
M - Dry, lightly carbonated.
D - This was a far cry from the vividly yummy stuff I remembered.

04-16-2006 05:43:31 | More by Naerhu
Gueuzedude

4.45/5  rDev +9.9%

A very well carbonated beer, after carefully pouring this beer to create as little foam as possible, I still end up with a three-finger thick head that almost runs over the top of my tulip glass. The head forms a rocky, yet fluffy surface, which sits atop a fully hazy orangish straw gold color. As I pour this beer I get aromatic notes of Fantôme funk; lightly sour with a solid fruity interface. The aroma is quite fruity; it smells of apples, melon, pears and even some tart plum like notes. The aroma is so light and refreshing, just so inviting and so typically embodying the best of Fantôme aromatics.

The beer is nice and light on the palate, easily quaffable, and with its high carbonation almost ephemerally as it vaporizes on the tongue. This beer has a nice, noticeable, yet not dominating sour tartness to it that reminds me of pears, and a tart green apple. This beer is quite fruity, even though there is almost no sweetness left in this beer. It is quite dry with a nice grain character that shows just under the dominant fermentation character. This beer is so refreshingly light, a perfect beer for hot weather (interestingly enough it has been almost 90*F here today). There is not a whole lot to say about this beer other than it is an incredible Saison!

04-12-2006 05:02:57 | More by Gueuzedude
Crosling

Colorado

2.63/5  rDev -35.1%

Hay. Slight aroma of old red apples, mixed nuts, pears, toasted malts and other light fruits. Lacking the usual Fantome magic. First that miserable Black Ghost, now this very poor offering. An underlying light fruitiness with notes of pear, apple, honey, caramel, orange and lemon and just a small hint of that Fantome yeast taste that I usually love. Most of his beers are so distinctive. This isn’t.

03-23-2006 21:44:13 | More by Crosling