Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - Printemps - Brasserie Fantôme

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-04-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - Printemps Alström Bros

Thanks to Robbeer for bringing this to Japan.

A - Slightly opaque orange body with a thin head.
S - Slight tangerine peel with nutty malt and hay overtones.
T - Dry, pepper, apples, more hay, light on the bitternes. A touch of sourness.
M - Dry, lightly carbonated.
D - This was a far cry from the vividly yummy stuff I remembered.

3.08/5  rDev -23.6%

750ml bottle poured into a pair of Fantome tulips and shared with TulipSnifter. Cost was about $14.00 at a local Portland bottle shop.

A: Pure clear lemon juice with a huge paper white head. Ridiculous lacing. 5/5

S: Lemon zest, lemon zest, lemon zest... WOW! How do you even do that? Secondary characteristics are very herbal. Rosemary specifically is very robust. My interest is officially piqued. 4.5/5

T: Rosemary dominates here again. I'm going out on a limb here and saying that it was definitely a brewing ingredient. Unfortunately, it comes off a little too strong and is cloyingly powerful. Some esters and a small amount of funk linger in the background but little else is discernable. I can't call this good because of how it turns one-dimensional, and I can't even call it average since it's so unique. I'm afraid I'm just not impressed by this bottle of Fantome. 2/5

M: Creamy body with soft carbonation. Just what I expect from a Fantome. 4/5

O: It smells great but fails on the taste. A below average score seems appropriate. Due to bottle variation, I would be willing to give this another chance, but this is one variation I would not want to revisit. 2.5/5

3.09/5  rDev -23.3%

(Served in a tulip)
086/477044 on cork
A- This beer pours a slightly hazy lemon yellow body with a thick sticky snow white head that produces nice broken lace and some long strands of tiny bubbles trail to the surface.

S- The nice saison yeast character leads to a full wet stale wood ash aroma in the finish that grows as the beer opens. Some green grass notes and dry bubblegum esters come through as it opens aswell.

T- The bright saison yeast esters are soon over powered by a big harsh bitterness and some smoky stale wood ash aromas in the finish lead to a slight band-aid hint as it warms.

M- The medium-light mouthfeel has a gentle fizz to the finish and no astringency.

O- The nice saison is hidden away under the smoky bitter wood ash off flavors that go from balanced to dominating as the beer opens. It was hard to get through the full bottle.

3.1/5  rDev -23.1%

I found all aspects of this beer to be pleasing other than the taste. It was a murky brownish gray color with nice head retention. The smell was intense saison (earth, spice, friut) along with a medicinal quality. The taste was where it didn't work for me. The overriding flavor was herbaceousness to the point of being medicinal. Other qualities were there but I didn't find the taste pleasant. Mouthfeel juicey and full and pleasant. Drinkability I can only score around average because I didn't care for taste.

3.11/5  rDev -22.8%

This brew pours a murky gold with a big cloudy white head, very thick and long lasting. Aroma is a little funky, kind of off like a sub-par pilsner, grassy too, but that seems really out of place here; gains some fruity and sugary notes as it warms , tangerine-like and very sweet. Taste starts out slightly sweet, a bit undercarbonated, very citrusy with a fruity and sugary twang. A little too sweet and cloying for the style as this brew lacks some balance and tastes too much like a fruit drink, it misses some of the sharpness, balance and dryness of most saisons.

All in all, this is a pretty disappointing brew, it improved with the second glass but still misses the mark in most categories. There are tons of native Belgian and American-made saisons that are far better.

3.15/5  rDev -21.8%

Poured from a corked and capped bottle into a perfect pint

A- pours a very, very light shade of yellow with a one finger white head. Even more pale than your generic lager, looks almost like lemonade. Head is robust and sticks around for awhile. Interesting

S- getting a little bit of lemon peel and coriander, with some slight funk coming through as well. Solid

T- very...bland. Some light funk, some light lemon, and not much else going on at all. Honestly, tastes like a Summer Shandy with some extra lemon juice in it....disappointing

M- medium bodied

O- yeah, I know there's a lot of bottle variation with Fantome...but this one is a complete miss. Nothing interesting going on here at all

3.16/5  rDev -21.6%

A - Pours a light golden amber. Somewhat clear. Big, frothy two finger head.

S - It smells off... I'm getting some yeast, grasses and light pepper.

T - Just tastes like an over spiced beer. I get no endearing qualities of a saison or what a saison style beer should be. It's very vegetable/herbal along with mild fruit notes.

M - Great mouthfeel... High carb and lighter body, which I love in saisons.

O - This is my second one to try and I waited until the second to do a review. The first was an older label and I declare the newer label the winner. But, overall I wouldn't say this is a top rated saison. Too grassy/herbal/vegetable and nothing that sets it apart besides underwhelming me.

3.16/5  rDev -21.6%

This beer was one of the more interesting I've tried with so much going on - extreme complexity in flavors.
Initial presentation is unique with a cap that requires a bottle opener and then a corn that requires a corkscrew.
Taste hits of initial bitter, dry, crisp, pungent, sour fruit like citrus lemon, grass. Body is less than medium with lots of carbonation.
Overall I probably wouldn't buy again - a bit too much going on here

3.18/5  rDev -21.1%

V.07
Let me begin this review stating that I have high regard for Fantome/Saisons/funky gueuze-like beers.

Great hazy straw color, and a loose but high foam that sticks around for a minute or two.
Harsh main-line of lemon zest through the nose. A little grass & funk as well. This is where I became skeptical, but I do love challenges.
A harsh astringent band-aid wrapped around more lemon & grass.
Sour & dry, almost to point of being unpleasant. A sour that isn't challenging in a fun kind-of-way.
No complexity, and it doesn't pair well. I tried cheese, bread, BBQ...I love Fantome. They rock my world this one didn't. I didn't find one solid quality in this, aside from the appearance. Complete let-down.

3.24/5  rDev -19.6%

3.24/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

When I heard they were offering flights including this at Trappist Provisions, I knew I had to pass by and try some Fantôme kookiness for the first time. This was very strange! Poured into a 6oz wine glass out of a 750ml bottle.

Pours a golden straw, classic saison color with a frothy, white head. Bubbles seem to come in dregs, but dissipate rather quickly. The head seems to eventually go away as the carbonation disappears, but some decent lacing remains on the glass. Not bad, but NOTHING that indicated me what I was about to get myself into.

Right, so right at the front, I'm immediately getting all kinds of off aromas and phenols that Fantôme is known for, and yet to be credited or disregarded for: grassiness, barnyard haystacks, funky earthiness, manure (not joking), sweat, dandelions, basil, rosemary, lightly tinged lemongrass. What the hell is this? Completely bizarre - cannot make out any notes resembling malts or grains for that matter, although if anything validates as "rustic" or "earthy" in the realm of beers, this takes it to the most literal form possible.

The flavor is ever MORE bizarre! There's immediately touch of the grassy haystack flavors (luckily no cow dung here) that immediately changes into a peat smoked malty haze. Charred bark melds with gritty grains and malts and immediately a charcoal-like aftertaste follows. There's a tinge of pepper, maybe some strange off saltiness, but the smoky flavor goes on for a while, and leaves bright dandelion and cilantro herbal flavors at the back of the tongue. A touch of bitterness, and maybe some grainy earthiness, but otherwise totally out of whack in a way that is fascinating yet not very pleasant. Alcohol is marvelously hidden. I shouldn't have let this sit around and get warmer though - by the end, the smokiness turns to a near pork rind astringency, and the grassiness gets so funky and herbal that I was on the verge of gagging without even aiming to.

This was utterly strange, and I admit full responsibility knowing what I was I was getting into here. It seems every review of this beer is different too, and while I don't think I got a bad bottle (indeed, the earthiness here is astonishing), the malts may be too over dried or smoked. This was an eye-opening beer indeed, but I do hope I have more uplifting rather than physically demanding beers from Fantôme in the future. As of this review, I have a saison in my cellar that I'd like to open soon. Here's hoping it turns out okay!

Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - Printemps from Brasserie Fantôme