Fantôme Magic Ghost - Brasserie Fantôme

to view more.
Ratings: 293 | Reviews: 124
Reviews by jaasen64:
3.41/5  rDev -17.2%

750ml bottle corked and crowned. Poured into HF "Fest" wine glass.

A- Pours a translucent slightly hazy lime green with a little bit of light grey and a foamy white head that has nice retention and leaves some light layered lacing. Interesting color, unique and kind of cool, still holds the qualities of a nice saison, and I think they nailed exactly what they were going for- a greenish ghost-like ectoplasm.

S- Star fruit, kiwis, limes, green tea, some saison yeast, a light tartness, and a slightly di-acetyl buttery aroma that kind of gives off a green-tea fruity greek yogurt aroma. Interesting but weird. In my opinion the combination of aromas don't really work that well together but it isn't anything off-putting, just unusual.

T- Passion fruit, green tea, limes, star fruit, finishes with a little bit of di-acetyl butteriness mixed with a little bit of tartness and some tea. Very fruity, but not a fan of how the green tea mixes with the fruit and saison qualities.

M- Medium bodied, very drinkable, not overly carbonated, nice feel for a saison.

O- This was a very interesting and unique beer that I just didn't really care for that much. Personally I thought the appearance was really cool but the flavors kind of clashed and didn't really make for the most appealing beer aroma or flavor wise. I had trouble just finishing off a third of a glass. It reaffirms my belief that tea and beer should not be mixed together. I enjoy them separately, but every time I've had tea in beer it's been terrible. I enjoyed the uniqueness of this beer and the concept, but it isn't something I'll be looking to try again.

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

First one to rate this beer, interesting. Always happy to try a new Fantome beer.

Tried from a 750 ml bottle that was recently shared by bu11zeye. The beer pours a hazy green color with a white head. One of the few beers that is truly green colored, I guess this comes from the green tea that the beer is brewed with.

The aroma is very nice. I get a lot of wheat and lemon notes, as I expected, but I also get some green tea. Very interesting.

The flavor is more of the same. Green tea and oranges dominate the flavor with some wheat hiding in the background. There are also some pepper and tannin (from the green tea) notes and the beer is slightly sour with a little bit of funk.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

4.51/5  rDev +9.5%

750ml capped & corked bottle poured into a tulip.

It. Is.vGreen.

Nose is earthy and funky with a herbal note.

Taste : sour and tart lots of fruit and tea notes very good with a crisp and sharp carbonation. Really very good. The finish is light and tangy and a bit if candy.

Bottle (2011)

K&B Wine Cellars
San Diego, CA

Hazed, murky, nearly toxic green. It looks like Chartreuse. A pretty exciting, show-stopping appearance. Thin off-white head and some spotted lacing down the glass.

A sweet and floral aroma consisting of Granny Smith apples, pears, earth, and grass.

The aroma is a bit more impressive than the flavor, though this beer still definitely tastes good. There's a significant amount of apple, pear, grass, some tea flavors, along with some sweet simple sugars.

Light to medium bodied. Appropriate for a saison.

This beer is not only a show-stopping, unique sight to behold, but a damn good, flavorful beer in its own right. Though I bought a bottle a week later to conduct this review, this beer was the big (surprise) hit at the Pizza Port Belgian Beer Festival!

2.87/5  rDev -30.3%

Yeah, I'm gonna give this a 5 rating because of how cool/toxic the color of this beer is. It is, without a doubt, the most unique looking beer I have ever seen. Radiator cooler antifreeze green. I probably wouldn't drink this if I didn't see it poured directly from the bottle uncapped in front of me. Nice whiteish head on the top, close to 1" in height.

Aroma mostly lemon, green apple and a bunch of other fruit and unidentified spice and pepper additions that amount to a weird aroma, but not offputting.

Taste, there is something weird in here that IS offputting. Very unique, I really can't describe it other than to say its bitter with a weird spice accoutrement. The appearance constantly has me wondering if this is containing something weird, like carpet, canned vegetables and tea additions. Keep picking up clove and coriander in the mouthfeel. Plenty carbonated.

Glad I got to try it at triple rock's sourfestival, because spending 15-20$ on something like this and having to drink a 750 of it would not suit me well.

4.35/5  rDev +5.6%

Best before Date: 1/2013

Purchased @ Hill Farmstead (Harvest Festival 10/1/11) Greensboro, VT

Price - $15/bottle

My first thought here is "Why put this in a green bottle!?

Pours a hazey straw yellow with a single finger soapy white head (no green). Average retention with spotty lacing. I heard this was suppose to look green but I'm not getting any green whatsoever. Streams of carbonation are visible and help maintain a thin film which covers the top.

The nose is lemon and lime with some earthy notes. An underlying musty foundation from the Belgian yeast authenticates it's style.

The flavor is surprisingly sweeter than other Saisons I've experienced, but still balanced. This example has a strong citrus backbone which I dig. Zesty flavors of lemon, green apple and kiwi dominate the taste.

Mouthfeel is light and clean with a low carbonated feel which is perfect for the style. The body is light and refreshing with a mild tartness. In the end it's noticeably dry.

Overall a pretty impressive example of the style and my favorite to date. If I come across more in the future, I'll certainly buy it. Quite sessionable and maybe a little dangerous @ 8%.

4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a capped-and-corked 750mL green glass bottle into my Troubadour tulip. Shockingly, this has an intact best before date! (namely, January, 2013).

Hazy, novelty, ectoplasm, asparagus green topped by a bright white highly active finger of merengue, fed by a furious upthrust of micro-bubbles. Soapy lacing, light glassy legs.

Apples, grape skins, floral yeast notes, and maybe some Pils malt and wildflower-esque hops in the nose.

Fruity, floral palate entry with a singular funk from the yeast. Kiwi, white tea, tarragon mustard, and other ill-defined tart notes bloom out into the finish. Well balanced, fruity, yeasty and smooth.

Medium-bodied, effervescent, and bright. Despite the color, one of the less strange offerings from Fantôme. Maybe cellar a few bottles for St. Patrick's Day?

First of all, I love every offering I've had from Fantome....now to review...
A: key lime body with a pale lime green head. Looks like key lime pie!
S: funky, citrus, hay, slightly earthy, sour apple
T: literally tastes like sour green apple to me! has a funky aftertaste that is delectable and refreshing. Very crisp.
M: champagne like when posted initially. Consistent tiny little bubbles that tickle the tip of your tongue
O: very tasty and very dangerous because the alcohol is hidden so well. I love fantome and definitely recommend this if you want to try a saison!

4.09/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to Oldp0rt for this one. I've always wanted to try this. 750ml capped and corked bottle into Tired Hands stemware. Shared with schen9303.

Pours a 3 finger frothy light lime green head with decent retention. Lacing is thick and web-like with good stick. Beer is a clear BRIGHT GREEN! Excellent! And such a novelty!

Sugary sweet nose with hints of barnyard, tea leaves, hay, Brett and just the slightest sprinkling of tartness. Bready too. Real aromatic. I like it.

Opens sweet. Hints of peppercorn, spice, and yeast. Some barnyard funk and cane sugar sweetness in the middle. Floral at the end with another big dose of yeasty goodness. Finishes sweet with a spiced aftertaste. Flavor is a bit indescribable but pretty good.

Light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Lively and filmy in the mouth and goes down aggressive and prickly. Accented finish with a briefly lingering aftertaste. Real refreshing and certainly drinks lighter than 8%.

I really like this beer for the novelty factor but the fact that its actually a well-made brew is just icing on the cake. Drinks much easier than 8% and the flavor is just interesting and pleasant enough to keep me going back for me. I'd love to keep more of these around to introduce to company!

1.34/5  rDev -67.5%

750ml bottle, split

Ok. I'm sorry. I just do NOT get how this beer has ANY positive feedback. Truly one of the most terrible creations I have ever seen - a drain pour if there ever was one. let's count the ways...

1) It's green. It's f*cking green.
2) Incredibly smoky - a cross between how you smell after sitting by a campfire all night and how I imagine a yard full of burning tires would smell
3) It looks like toxic waste, but tastes worse
4) Did i mention burning rubber?

You people like this? Complete and utter undrinkable sh!t. For shame, Fantome. For shame.

4.17/5  rDev +1.2%

well.... this is not what i was expecting. pours a slime lime color, hazy green with a great fizzy white head that retains well.

mainly apple up front with a hint of lemon and grape. hints of yeast and malt deep in the back.

sweet and spicy through out. has flavors like white wine, white grape, light green apple, and bread. finish is very reminiscent to a dry white wine. bit of oak in the back.

very tingly in the mouth with a spike of carbonation, that eases out as it fades. light and easy.

pretty tasty, i could see a 750 getting tiresome if drinking it alone but overall enjoyable.

glad i picked this up

4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - Clean yellowish green. This was the first pour from the bottle. Subsequent glasses were very bright green. Small white head.

Smell - Lime gatorade. Green tea? Tart. Kinda like a lime berliner.

Taste - Bright lime flavor that fades to yeast. Grainy malts. Not as much green tea as the nose.

Mouthfeel - Light. Deliciously drinkable. Good lingering flavor of lime without the tartness.

Overall - Really good. Maybe not as complex as other Fantome offerings, but a nice dichotomy of saison and sour.

4.21/5  rDev +2.2%

750 ml served into a tulip

A-This is by far the coolest looking beer I have ever seen. It is literally green. It is like this weird grassy green color with a solid white head.

S-A lot of lemon, grass, green tea, honey and fresh outdoors.

T-A little sour but not quite geuzy sourness. It is a lemony herbal sour. There is a lot of green tea shining through especially in the aftertaste. Unlike a spiced beer, the spices do not overpower. There is also a bready taste.

M-Really carbonated, leaves a nice tingly feeling on the tongue.

O-This beer is really cool. That is the simplest way to describe it. It is green and it tastes really good.

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

App- Pours with a good amount of carbonation and leaves nice lacing

Smell- Funky saison with green tea

Taste- The green tea really enhanced this saison, rounding out flavors. It's sweet without being cloying. Barnyard, but in a good way. Would be fantastic on a hot day.

Mouthfeel- Well carbonated and goes down easy

Overall- Really enjoyed this beer. Think i'll pick up a few more bottles before it disappears, no pun intended.

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks to AshleyMiller for this one! 750ml bottle split between a pair of Fantome tulips and shared with TulipSnifter.

A: Key lime green colored beer with a finger and a half of paper white head. No lacing to speak of, but the nice green color is pretty unique and appetizing. 4/5

S: Fairly basic saison profile on the nose. Specifically this is the profile I associate with Wyeast 3711 French saison yeast, one of my favorite. Black pepper, white pepper, coriander, cumin, and an abundance of spice defines the 3711 aroma and that's what comes through here. Solid. 4/5

T: Nice and fruity with a pepper backbone. Banana, melon, cucumber, and... Spearmint? The guessing game about what makes this green continues! A cool refreshing mintiness is appreciated. Not sharp like peppermint either sooo, spearmint is my final answer. Very interesting stuff. 4/5

M: Full and heavy with a crisp finish. 5/5

O: A provoking beer. I'm glad to have tried this because now I'm inspired to make something similar. A simple pilsner/wheat malt profile, with noble hops, French saison yeast, and some spearmint in secondary sounds like a plan for a homebrew. Very glad to have tried this and hope to make something close to it soon. 4/5

4.77/5  rDev +15.8%

I picked up two bottles of Fantome Magic Ghost. Big mistake...I should have picked up as many as I could! I'm not reviewing many beers here, only the really great and perhaps the really bad.

This one may well be my favorite Fantome. My favorite,....not the best since I don't even know what that means when talking about beer...it is, however, my favorite.

I also suspect it's my favorite since it's relatively new, I'm told, and just full of fresh, full, floral, assertive and wonderful character in all respects.

Color is the only crazy thing about it. Green. Yes, it's made with green tea. And, it's green. I heard that food color was added but I don't know if it's true or urban legend at this point. Suffice it to say it's green. No head.

Nose is pure floral, elegant and fruity green tea and sweet pepper/tea elegance. The fruit tones and sweet floral quality are just really inviting and full of perfume.

Mouthfeel is medium but fresh and with light carbonation. The mouthfeel has one of my favorite characteristics in that it feels "bright" and fresh in the mouth. It is uplifting and exciting in the mouth, almost inviting one to gulp.

Flavors profile is sensational. I've only just learned that the proper way to make green tea is to use only warm water - not hot water. I'm told that in Japan those in the know actually use water that is only as hot as body temperature. In that way, one gets the fresh, elegant, sweet, floral and perfumy character of green tea. I've learned that the tannic bitterness characteristic in some green tea is that the tea is actually burned by the hot water.

Well, Fantome makes great green tea! Clearly. This beer demonstrates a flavor profile of "properly brewed" green tea. The green tea flavors are just bursting and fresh. There is a floral, perfume sweet green tea character all around with none of the bitter or tannic character.

Finish is likewise elegant, fruity albeit short.

A complete winner. One of the few brews where I'm really regretting not getting more bottles when I had the chance. One left and it will be consumed soon, fresh, at an upcoming beer tasting. Aging will only take this wonderful fresh, sweet, elegant perfume out of the beer. I'll not age this one. I'll drink as many bottles as I can find.

4.42/5  rDev +7.3%

Limeade and ecto cooler do indeed come to mind when this beer pours into a glass. Slighty murky, some flashes of gold in the green. First couple pours yield a two finger head of white foam. Some dark seed-like floaties visible, if this were any other beer, that would be odd to see. Pond water algae with bubble bath soap suds.

Signature Fantôme citrus funk, lemon lime zest, cheese rind, candy wafers, wet straw.

Tangy, tart, fruity. Definite citrus, passion fruit or hibiscus, lighty sweet segueing into a crisp green apple tartness in the middle. Dry bitter apple skin, then a clean dry finish. Feels pretty light, certainly refreshing and easily drinkable. Wacky color aside, it's not wildly different from the "standard issue" Saison.

4.16/5  rDev +1%

Thanks Leighton for bringing this to a London tasting.

I had given up on Fantome. Too many swampwater bottles for me in the past. This was a weird but really good beer.

Bright neon green color. Shocking looking in the glass. A bit intimidating to be honest. I love it!

Kiwi's passion fruit and tropical fruits in the nose and very heavy in the flavor. Quite sweet. minimal funky.

This reminded me a ton of the old school HiC Ecto-cooler. Hahaha.

Good stuff and the first fantome I could actually reccomend highly.

Bottle: Poured a bright clear green (?) color ale with a huge bubbly pure white foamy head with good retention and minimal lacing. Aroma consists of light green tea notes and loads of ginger – very reminiscent of ginger ale. Taste is also a very unique mix of ginger and green tea with semi-sweet Belgian malt base. Body is quite full with a very spritzy-like carbonation and no apparent alcohol. This one is quite unique (like a few other beers form this brewer) and something I would like to have occasionally again.

4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

Bottle poured into a snifter. Beer poured a hazy light green with thin to little head that leaves some light lacing as you drink from the glass. Definitely a weird and interesting looking green color.

Nose is floral and fruity, with notes of apple, pear and kiwi. A bit of earthiness and herbs. Almost like an orchard or a garden.

Taste has the light floral and fruity flavors, with a wheat backbone. Fairly light on the tongue, leading to some light tartness and earthy herbal flavors. Finish is clean, with some light floral and herbal lingering lightly.

Light body with mild carbonation, combined with the lightness of the flavor profile makes it easy to enjoy quickly.

4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

750 provided by LSUPT. I've been really looking forward to this one since I heard news of it. Thanks Alex.

Enjoyed with my girlfriend in a pair of Fantome tulips.

At first, it pours yellow with a white head that boasts a very faint hint of lime green in it. It was very interesting.. As the huge 3 finger head died down, the color of the beer changed color. It became more and more green. Kind of like the color of your pee after drinking an energy drink. It leaves no lacing but the head on this one actually stuck around for quite some time especially for a Fantome brew.

Smell was mostly of green tea, green apple, and a hint of soy or edamame beans. I can't pick out which it is. Very floral with the nice tart zing at the end like most Fantome saisons have.

Taste is outstanding. I am a big fan of green tea and this beer definitely highlights it. Big green tea leaves with a drying floral finish. That nice Fantome tartness is on the finish as well. Kind of a dried seaweed taste.

Mouthfeel is fairly high in carbonation but it makes this way too easy to drink. My girlfriend is sucking it down like nothing and thats amazing for a beer with a 8% ABV.

This was a really good Saison. Very different from anything I've ever had, but I wish more breweries would try and mimic something like this. Fantome was very adventurous with this beer, but as always, they made it work.

Thanks again Alex.

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

One of the last two beers I drank before I ended up in the hospital, this was an odd one that I grabbed from my belgian friend.

The pour is an off pureed tea green color it is really hard to describe but very un beer like for sure with a light foamy head. aroma is loaded with belgian yeast, light fruit, hints of tea leaves dominate! this is one odd beer, but it works for sure. really well done, light citrus hints, earthy, fresh, clean, unique, one of the oddest expierences ever.

overall ya got to try it. it was a so so with my brother in and sister in law. but i rather enjoyed it.

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

A: The beer is hazy light lime green and yellow in color and poured with a thin off white head. It becomes less hazy as the beer warms up. The head gradually died down but consistently left swirls of lacing on the surface and a ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: There are light aromas of citrus in the nose—lime seems to stand out in particular.
T: Similar to the smell, the taste has light to moderately strong flavors of limes and other fruits with a light amount of funky yeast. The taste becomes more complex as the beer warms up and also has notes of dill and creamed spinach in the flavors along with some hints of sourness.
M: It feels medium-bodied and slightly creamy on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is a very refreshing change of pace that is unique and interesting and goes down very easily.

3.26/5  rDev -20.9%

BBD Feb 2014, 0.75 litres: uncapped and cork removed on 24th Feb 2014 at the second ever Shrewsbury bottle share (four of us on this occasion). This was one of my gifts to the group.

It's flourescent green and my senses wouldn't allow it to smell or taste of beer, my eye's deciding it was a green tea (which I believe it has infused somewhere during the brewing process) and Lincoln Pea Soup mixture with extra food colouring added.

Different and a real talking point: where does the 8% ABV go for instance and why does it look like thin Pea Soup?

I enjoyed it but can't give you a proper review or tasting notes because it's just 'strange' and beyond my realms of reasoning and writing. My scores don't make sense either!

4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from 750 mL bottle into tulip. Bottle says best before end of Jan. 2013.
A: Pours quite possibly the craziest color beer I've seen...pale candy apple lime green. Like watered down ectoplasm. Minimal white head quickly is gone making you wonder if it was ever there to begin with. Honestly hard to judge appearance on this one.
S: Tart apple, citrus, sweet candi sugar, cereal (like toasted oatmeal), green tea, and a faint hint of herbs. Again very interesting and hard to judge...especially against a typical saison.
T: Wow! Different and more craziness. Herbal green tea, toasted grains, alternatingly sweet and tart candy apple, mixed fruit (melon, nectarine, lime, raspberry, more?), sweet malt, and a note of ginger ale. Definitely interesting and quite complex.
M: Smooth and oily. Sweet with a hint of tart and sour. Light body. ABV nearly imperceptible. Mildly dry and refreshing finish.
D: This one is in a category of its own. Definitely give it a shot...a very interesting brew and unlike any other beer I've experienced. Good drinkability and fairly refreshing.

to view more.