2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Fantôme Magic Ghost - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme Magic GhostFantôme Magic Ghost

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 04-11-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 269 | Reviews: 123 | Show All Ratings:
DrewShal9

First of all, I love every offering I've had from Fantome....now to review...
A: key lime body with a pale lime green head. Looks like key lime pie!
S: funky, citrus, hay, slightly earthy, sour apple
T: literally tastes like sour green apple to me! has a funky aftertaste that is delectable and refreshing. Very crisp.
M: champagne like when posted initially. Consistent tiny little bubbles that tickle the tip of your tongue
O: very tasty and very dangerous because the alcohol is hidden so well. I love fantome and definitely recommend this if you want to try a saison!

08-26-2011 06:10:43 | More by DrewShal9
rye726

Colorado

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

Another great saison from my firend Danny. Really cool green color. Head pretty thin though, lacks retention. Nose has subtle green tea with sour apples, grapes barnyard funk and some nice light candy malts. Taste has a nice sourness to it, near perfect example of the style. Clean, crisp body very well carbonated. Nice refreshing finish. These really are the best saisons in the world. And fairly priced at $15.

09-04-2011 00:10:12 | More by rye726
Beerenauslese

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

Body is a hazy, light pastel green. The only green beer I've ever seen without adding woodruff syrup or green food coloring. A perfect pastel green color for Easter but it would work well for St. Patrick's Day too. Head poured to a half inch lasts quite awhile, and is regenerated with swirling, leaving lots of little clouds of lacing.

Smells of green tea, malt, candi sweetness (as in a lollipop), and spices--probably coriander and ginger.

Tastes delightful. On the front palate, malt and green tea--which go together delightfully--midpalate is delightfully lemony acidic, with a little backdrop of malt sugar, back palate is a little dry and just slightly tannic from the green tea with a bit of a spice burn on the tongue. Just a delightful taste experience. Yet this definitely has the saison profile, especially the Fantôme yeast.

Body is medium as is the carbonation, and produces a nice substantial creamy mouthfeel as a saison should.

Overall, it is the weirdest saison I've ever set eyes or mouth to, but another splendid contribution from Fantôme. How many ways can Fantôme spell saison? This is a very good beer to pair with food. I had this with a dinner of grilled steelhead trout and gingered carrots, and I was very pleased how it all went together. The acid cuts through the fish fats while the ginger blended well with the sweet gingered carrots, held in balance by the lemon acidity of the beer. I wouldn't drink a whole 750 ml bottle of this all by itself without some food pairing, but you could twist my arm.

07-22-2011 04:39:25 | More by Beerenauslese
DCon

Missouri

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

Bought a e 0,75 l bottle of this from the Map Room in Chicago, IL for $30 (negotiated the price down from $35! Great bartenders here @ the Map Room!). Poured from the green bottle with a Magician scaring Ghosts off with his wand into a 16oz Tulip Glass. Has Lot n: d, A consommer de preference avant fin: J (January), and Best before end: 13 (2013) on the front label. Fantômes don't always have their best by or lot letters stamped/marked on their bottles but cool seeing it here!

Aroma- Very strong barnyard aroma from the beginning with a slight peppery background. Light sour and tart aroma hangs on here and doesn't distract from anything else going on in here. Low hop and medium spicy aromas follow everything. Very complexed aroma!

Appearance- Pours a 3 finger head that has tremendous retention. What comes next is the craziest site I've ever seen with a beer! Pours an AWESOME Hulk Green colored body that is very hazy and with this turns the body color to a more of an olive color. Leaves tons of lacing on the glass afterwards. This could not be better! The color AND everything else in the appearance is great!

Flavor- This beer can be summed up with two words; Kiwi & Tart. The drink starts out with a nice sour and yet complexed flavor lasting for the entire time. Not too overpowering either. Then the fruitiness comes in with a very awesome and distinct Kiwi flavor! Almost looks from the appearance that kiwis were brewed into this. A very light/moderate bitterness then finish off the brew. Wonderful!

Mouthfeel- Light-Medium Bodied, High Carbonation, good sourness but then finishes on the dry side.

Overall Impression- Wow! One of my TOP Saisons and my favorite Fantôme now. A great and complexed brew that had a fascinating kiwi taste. The sourness was very appropriate and not overpowering. I would love to get my hands on another bottle of this if I see it out but am not looking to spend over $30 again... Was definitely worth it this time! Go for it if you see it!

11-05-2011 03:00:04 | More by DCon
GRG1313

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

I picked up two bottles of Fantome Magic Ghost. Big mistake...I should have picked up as many as I could! I'm not reviewing many beers here, only the really great and perhaps the really bad.

This one may well be my favorite Fantome. My favorite,....not the best since I don't even know what that means when talking about beer...it is, however, my favorite.

I also suspect it's my favorite since it's relatively new, I'm told, and just full of fresh, full, floral, assertive and wonderful character in all respects.

Color is the only crazy thing about it. Green. Yes, it's made with green tea. And, it's green. I heard that food color was added but I don't know if it's true or urban legend at this point. Suffice it to say it's green. No head.

Nose is pure floral, elegant and fruity green tea and sweet pepper/tea elegance. The fruit tones and sweet floral quality are just really inviting and full of perfume.

Mouthfeel is medium but fresh and with light carbonation. The mouthfeel has one of my favorite characteristics in that it feels "bright" and fresh in the mouth. It is uplifting and exciting in the mouth, almost inviting one to gulp.

Flavors profile is sensational. I've only just learned that the proper way to make green tea is to use only warm water - not hot water. I'm told that in Japan those in the know actually use water that is only as hot as body temperature. In that way, one gets the fresh, elegant, sweet, floral and perfumy character of green tea. I've learned that the tannic bitterness characteristic in some green tea is that the tea is actually burned by the hot water.

Well, Fantome makes great green tea! Clearly. This beer demonstrates a flavor profile of "properly brewed" green tea. The green tea flavors are just bursting and fresh. There is a floral, perfume sweet green tea character all around with none of the bitter or tannic character.

Finish is likewise elegant, fruity albeit short.

A complete winner. One of the few brews where I'm really regretting not getting more bottles when I had the chance. One left and it will be consumed soon, fresh, at an upcoming beer tasting. Aging will only take this wonderful fresh, sweet, elegant perfume out of the beer. I'll not age this one. I'll drink as many bottles as I can find.

06-29-2011 05:05:40 | More by GRG1313
VWBuggirl

South Carolina

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

A: This is a light, vibrant green with a foamy white head that leaves a nice bit of lacing in the glass.

S: This has a nice amount of citrus, that is followed by a nice bit of tartness.

T: It starts off sweet and finishes with a crisp tartness.

M: The carb is well done. The body really compliments the flavors and is very well balanced.

O: I was shocked by the color of this beer when we first poured it, and initially thought it wouldn't be good and that is was gimmicky. I was pleasantly surprised and feel that it was a great take on the beer, and I expect and enjoy what this brewer does. I would highly recommend it for anyone who can get their hands on a bottle. DELICIOUS!

10-22-2012 00:11:10 | More by VWBuggirl
Daemose

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

I've had this beer many times from a bottle.

Appearance: This beer can vary from bottle to bottle in appearance. It is usually anywhere from pale greenish yellow to a dark lime green. Nice white head.

Smell: Tart, minerally, funky, limey, citrus.

Taste: The taste is funky, limey, grassy and refreshing. Green tea is there if you close your eyes and imagine it really hard. The green color has a visual effect that creeps down from your eyes to your tastebuds.

Mouth: Its' light and refreshing, with plenty of carbonation.

Overall: This is a unique beer. I buy it whenever I can, as much as I can. I've only had the opportunity twice. It's always fun to pop open a bottle because you never know what shade of green it is going to be exactly until you open it. A crowd pleaser for sure, and delicious on top of that. One of my top favorite beers, and I'm usually a stout guy.

I don't always drink Saisons, but when I do, I prefer Magic Ghost.

Cue the rimshot.

10-29-2012 07:17:52 | More by Daemose
woosterbill

Connecticut

4.73/5  rDev +14%

750ml bottle into a 25cl Duvel tulip. Gladly I got the last (and therefore greenest!) pour at the tasting. Huge thanks to whoever brought this one, a long-time want.

A: Deep, intense, vibrant lime-colored body beneath an inch of tight pale green foam. Verdant, vibrant, vivacious.

S: Rich, soft, fruity, perfumed, herbal, grassy. Incredibly floral, complex, and integrated. Fantastic in every way.

T: Fruity, vegetal, herbal, spicy. Really high in minerality, really dry, really complex. Amazing Saison.

M: Medium-bodied, creamy, rich. Perhaps a bit heavy for the style, but luxurious.

O: What a beer. While I would usually see a neon-green beer as a worthless gimmick, the Fantôme origin promised better - and delivered. Unique, and uniquely amazing.

Cheers!

07-25-2012 22:22:38 | More by woosterbill
rudzud

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

Been holding onto this one for a long while now. Cracking in celebration to a downright horrible coworker (on a human being level) finally getting canned. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Ah yes, the fabled nearly neon green pour! Quite glad mine was green (like it should) as some others have colour issues. Anyways, a very nice rocky three finger head sits atop this green hue...a super light greenish white that fades to leave light lacing and a thin blanket.

S - Smell is distinctly Fantome, very nice light subtle funk. No alcohol, the green tea is there as a subtle herbal note in the background. Super faint apples.

T - Taste is super surprising! Very tart green apple skin, sour apple jolly ranchers, sour sour sour! Like..a Russian River and Fantome teamed up for a saison..just crazy stuff! The tea notes are there, in the background as a light herbal note. Alcohol flashes its 8% faintly on the finish, but its all granny smith apple skin on the aftertaste. Some star fruit notes too, fresh picked from the tree (which, if one has the chance, is outstanding by the way). This is awesome. Traditional saison, not even in the same book. But is this a crazy delicious experiment? Oh my goodness yes!

M - My fault as I served this at cellar temp on a very warm day...about 5 degrees too warm to start with. Quite unfortunate.

O - Overall, super, super happy I got a good bottle of this! Been worried that this bottle would be cheese or some other weird failure. Quite relieved I got a good bottle as this is just delicious and fun!

06-30-2013 02:45:40 | More by rudzud
pdoran10

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Magic Ghost pouts out a hazy slightly green golden color into a pint glass. One finger of white head that fades quickly. Slight ecto cooler resemblance in a good way.

The smell is fresh bright tea leaves and slight citrus mango tartness. Very inviting lively smells.

Taste is citrus tea that blends to a slightly bready wheat note. I get a hint of tart citrus bite in the finish. Very complex with many nuanced flavors.

Mouthfeel is moderate with normal carbonation levels. More dialed in carbonation levels than most Fantome beers I have had. Perhaps this is because it is so fresh.

Overall I am really impressed with this beer. One of my favorite breweries put out a great product here. I would buy this in bulk if it were in Minnesota.

10-03-2011 00:26:01 | More by pdoran10
claytong

Vermont

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

appearance - lime green with small fizzly head that dissipates pretty quickly leaving some lacing.

smell - pear dominates and green tea comes in with a bit of other herbs and spices

taste - where is the pear? getting green tea in strong, citrus is a nice edition, just not what i expected after the nose. quite a bit of lemongrass as well.

mouthfeel - champagne. dry finish, crisp and well carbonated, light bodied and beautiful.

07-24-2011 07:02:19 | More by claytong
Bendurgin

Maine

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

Huge thanks to Andy for chracking this one open for my 500th review. Poured into a tulip. This one pours green. Kind of a yellow green but this one has an olive green hue to it. A finger of fluffy white head sits on top.

Kind of a sweet green apple aroma here with a bit of lemon sourness in the finish. A little bit of must here but this pretty nicely sweet and tart. Herbal grassy flavors with apples and a little bit of tartness. Grassy and musty on the pallet.

The body is light with soft carbonation. A little dry on the finish here.

This one is simply unique. Great to see a brewery try something a little different and have it work out.

10-17-2011 02:51:15 | More by Bendurgin
DearthVader

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

750 provided by LSUPT. I've been really looking forward to this one since I heard news of it. Thanks Alex.

Enjoyed with my girlfriend in a pair of Fantome tulips.

At first, it pours yellow with a white head that boasts a very faint hint of lime green in it. It was very interesting.. As the huge 3 finger head died down, the color of the beer changed color. It became more and more green. Kind of like the color of your pee after drinking an energy drink. It leaves no lacing but the head on this one actually stuck around for quite some time especially for a Fantome brew.

Smell was mostly of green tea, green apple, and a hint of soy or edamame beans. I can't pick out which it is. Very floral with the nice tart zing at the end like most Fantome saisons have.

Taste is outstanding. I am a big fan of green tea and this beer definitely highlights it. Big green tea leaves with a drying floral finish. That nice Fantome tartness is on the finish as well. Kind of a dried seaweed taste.

Mouthfeel is fairly high in carbonation but it makes this way too easy to drink. My girlfriend is sucking it down like nothing and thats amazing for a beer with a 8% ABV.

This was a really good Saison. Very different from anything I've ever had, but I wish more breweries would try and mimic something like this. Fantome was very adventurous with this beer, but as always, they made it work.

Thanks again Alex.

09-24-2011 04:27:26 | More by DearthVader
kingcrowing

Vermont

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

750ml capped & corked bottle poured into a tulip.

It. Is.vGreen.

Nose is earthy and funky with a herbal note.

Taste : sour and tart lots of fruit and tea notes very good with a crisp and sharp carbonation. Really very good. The finish is light and tangy and a bit if candy.

12-11-2011 04:36:07 | More by kingcrowing
aasher

Indiana

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this numerous times and it is one of my all time favorites. This pours a medium bodied, Nickolodeon sludge dark cloudy green. Every time it is one of the coolest things I've seen from a beer. The nose is light and funky with citrusy fruit notes. I get lime, wheat germ, grass, green tea,cucumber, and Belgian yeast. Who does that? The flavors are both slightly tart and really yeasty. The flavors feature green tea, lemongrass, peas, lime, and so much Belgian yeast. Wowzers this is both unique and complex. It's has near perfect body. You won't find a saison this smooth unless you drink their regular saison. This beer is fantastic. It is strange, looks crazy In a glass, and has crazy characteristics comparatively. This is weird, and a must try.

10-04-2012 03:29:21 | More by aasher
BrewerB

4.48/5  rDev +8%

Thanks to the Rare Beer Club for including this in a prior selection. Lot number "d" with a best by date of Jan 2013.

Pours a clear kiwi green with 1-2 finger cap of white foam that collapsed down thin but retains atop the beer. On the nose there's a refreshingly fruity mix of peaches, raspberries, and lime. Also picking up a bit of herbal spice, perhaps dill. Slight earthy funk. Flavor profile includes an upfront orange and peach coupled with sweetened green tea and kiwi. Dry finish leaves traces of lemon-line and saison yeastiness. Medium-light in body with a bristling carbonation. This is the first time I've sampled a Fantome beer though I can see why some craft beer fans are so crazy about the brewery. Really interesting mix of flavors makes for a very refreshing, complex session.

08-19-2012 05:21:10 | More by BrewerB
DaveHS

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

A- Hazy aloe vera green with about an inch of brilliant white head. Reduces over a minute or so, leaving no lacing.

S-Similar to the regular Fantome Saison, but a little less herbaceous. I don't specifically smell green tea, but there is a faint whiff of leafy, vegetal something or other in there.

T/M-Appropriately bizarre for Fantome, and yet it all comes together in such a harmonious way.The green tea, though understated, comes through just enough to provide a fascinating counterflavor to the signature funk of the Fantome saison yeast. There's also a lemony tartness that comes in mid-palate, providing a temporary change of tone from the earthy funk, but that lasts only a moment. The finish is yeasty and slick, with the most subtle hint of tea bitterness and aloe.

O-Wow. Another winner from Fantome. Don't be turned off by the appearance, this stuff is serious business.

07-16-2011 03:45:45 | More by DaveHS
Chizoad

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I really wish I could give the appearance of this beer a big fat "?" rather than a number. I was careful to pour the beer without disturbing the bottom layer of yeast. Pale green/yellow with a fizzy head that left no lacing and no cap. Afterwards I poured the yeast etc. into the glass, and it was a murky dark green. Highly bizarre.

Smells of, in no particular order, banana, coriander, barnyard, malts, vinegar. A real smorgasbord. Complex and excellent.

Flavors much the same as the nose but with some small modifications. No coriander in the taste, but green apple, lemon, malt, slight bittering (hops? green tea?), banana, and the funk kind of ran away. An amazing swirl of flavors that work together and randomly appear as a highlight with each sip.

Light, effervescent body in line with the flavors of the beer.

Great beer with very unique flavors. Never really picked up the green tea in it except for the color. Another fine offering from one of the most unique brewers out there.

08-08-2011 03:10:48 | More by Chizoad
yourefragile

District of Columbia

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

750 mL bottle shared by Jeff. Happy Birthday bro.

The color is incredible. I'm not sure how you give this appearance anything other than a 1 or 5. Bright, cloudy near St. Patrick's Day style green with a tall foamy off white, mint tinged head. Excellent retention, settling to a thick film and rings of clumpy lacing.

Aroma is reminiscent of many other Fantomes, slightly sweet and estery yeast, clove and spice, and dry green tea leaves.

Flavor is a little sweeter than expected initially, with a stronger citrus presence than the nose and a little more green tea and mint. Slight funk but not as much as a typical Fantone saison and actually less spice or earthiness than most saisons as well. Finish is tart and mildly sour.

Body is my only complaint, slightly thin and watery in the finish. Strong fine carbonation and a dry, slightly acidic finish.

As this warms more of the tea presence comes out and I start to enjoy this even more. I can rationalize the body with the ingredients used, but it's still the only part of this I'd change. An unique experience, which I'm probably scoring higher than I should by virtue of that, but highly recommended.

08-02-2011 23:46:56 | More by yourefragile
Kshock

Pizza Port Belgian Beer Party 2011

A- No way...Its reminds me of ecto-cooler when i was a kid. Pours a bright green with an off white head that has a very light green tint to it. Good retention.

S- Smells of barn yard funk, malt sweetness, Belgian yeast characteristics, with some earthy green tea notes hiding in the background.

T--Amazing flavors, marry very well with one another. Starts out sweet, dries quickly revealing some earthy green tea flavors. Nice slightly sour/tart presence all through out. Really unique beer.

M- Bubbly with med-lite body.

O- Kick Ass!!!

08-12-2011 23:29:10 | More by Kshock
callmemickey

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

A: I don't know how to rate the appearance on this one. It's frigging radioactive green! Only Dany would make a saison like this. That said, there is a moderate sized off-white head and stray lacing left in the glass.

S: One of the more fruity Fantome's I've had the pleasure to drink. Generic soft citrus and a little sour apple. Earthy green tea and delicate spices.

T: Green tea / herbal notes are more prominent in the flavor than in the nose. A little lemon, lime and earthy-green apple. Light must and funk.

M: Smooth, medium bodied. Gentle but adequate carbonation. Lingering herbal finish. Would be a tad better if the finish was drier.

O: An exceptional Fantome--among their best.

10-02-2011 19:21:08 | More by callmemickey
emerge077

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Limeade and ecto cooler do indeed come to mind when this beer pours into a glass. Slighty murky, some flashes of gold in the green. First couple pours yield a two finger head of white foam. Some dark seed-like floaties visible, if this were any other beer, that would be odd to see. Pond water algae with bubble bath soap suds.

Signature Fantôme citrus funk, lemon lime zest, cheese rind, candy wafers, wet straw.

Tangy, tart, fruity. Definite citrus, passion fruit or hibiscus, lighty sweet segueing into a crisp green apple tartness in the middle. Dry bitter apple skin, then a clean dry finish. Feels pretty light, certainly refreshing and easily drinkable. Wacky color aside, it's not wildly different from the "standard issue" Saison.

10-03-2011 22:40:43 | More by emerge077
cbutova

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Always happy to try a new Fantome, split 3 ways last night and reviewed from notes.

A- Out of the bottle is a 100% green apple hue and pours with a big foamy white head. The head has nice retention and falls to a small cloud and ring eventually. Nice creamy lace down the glass. So much green and yeast it is opaque. Stunning.

S- Tart fruit up front with good floral and herbal hints backing that. Saison yeast makes a nice appearance as well as tart grapes and a definite apple fruit note.

T- A good mix of what reminds me of a traditional saison and some funky lambic properties. Filled with white grapes, tart green apple, Belgian yeast spices and saison notes, grassy herbal hints. Lemon citrus zest and some yeast bread as well. Green tea comes into play later, see below.

MF- Creamy and foamy body with a smooth feel overall. Finishes tart and has a sharp fruit pit bitterness.

Really enjoyed this one. Hard to really describe it with words but it was nice and fruity, a bit funky and still retained some saision and beer properties for being a Fantome. Really enjoyed the tart fruits. Oddly enough the only thing I could taste on my palate was green tea, after drinking some water to rinse before the next beer.

12-23-2011 15:37:00 | More by cbutova
ZombiesAteMyDog

Indiana

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

I shared a bottle with Douglas Miller and Marcus Siu.

A- Mountain Dew? My bottle was neon green… I have read different descriptions of the color, but I could have told someone this was MNT DEW, and they would have believed me. A small head that quickly went away and no there was lacing to speak of.

S- Smelled rather funky and yeasty, smells funkier than it tastes. There are hints of Granny Smith apple and lemon.

T- Unique! Sweet n Sour; I also picked up a slight earthy flavor which I assumed was the alleged addition of spinach. There is a hint of green tea, but it came in more as it warmed. Lambic qualities in this saison...

M- Highly carbonated with a light foamy body. The high carbonation was a present addition to this brew, creating a nice foamy mouth feel. The mouth feel matches the look.

O- The most unusual brew I have ever had. If you find this, it is a no brainer to pick one up. This brew is a great rarity and an example of why I will always pick up a new Fantôme.

01-19-2012 18:45:52 | More by ZombiesAteMyDog
phichifiji00

4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into tulip glass:

Appearance: Pours hazy lime green (darker as you near the bottom of the bottle) with a white head.

Smell: slightly spicy and funky with green tea and floral notes.

Taste: Medium sour, fruity, green apples, green tea, funky notes and a slightly sweet finish.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, very bubbly.

Overall: Great fun beer. I will definitely buy more whenever I can find it.

09-13-2011 03:51:42 | More by phichifiji00