2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Fantôme Magic Ghost - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme Magic GhostFantôme Magic Ghost

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 04-11-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 269 | Reviews: 123 | Show All Ratings:
PerHops

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

S- Bottle, best by 2016

A- This one is a gusher! There are literally pieces of green (leaves?) in the foam. I have never seen this in a beer before. The color is also unique, an almost army green.

S- This is one of the funkier fantomes I've had the pleasure of smelling. Fruity, but mostly super funky, dank, catty. The smell is (almost) off putting. I can see where some people would not like the aroma at all. But for those who seek that signature fantome funk, this will impress.

T- Sweeter than I expected from the aroma. Overripe pear, some funk, vegetal and herbal notes.

M- Nice medium full bodied mouthfeel maybe slightly less carbonated than I would prefer.

O- Second time I've had this and so glad I have more to try in the future! Thanks Mark!

03-24-2014 22:43:17 | More by PerHops
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

4.34/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

The first few ounces appeared golden - nothing out of the norm. But the liquid gradually turned minty, then a light olive green tone, and by the end it was impregnated by a near neon sediment that, contrasted against the neutral white background of a thick foam, made it look like it could practically glow in the dark. Magic Ghost is a green beer - yes, I said it, a green beer!

How did it get this way? Green tea, apparently. That's all I know (and that's more information than is usually revealed about Fantôme beers). My best guess is matcha, that would explain the intensity of the colour. It would also account for the expressively herbal and grassy bouquet - this smells as 'green' as it looks, with notes of lawn clippings, mint leaves, and garlic scapes.

All those flavours continue onto the palate and have accompanying texture to match: garlicky spice, minty refreshment, and the distinctly 'earthy' or 'herbal' sensation of chewing on blades of wet grass. There's also an enormously creamy quality that lends it a remarkably likeness to a green tea ice cream, something enhanced by its almond milk-like mouthfeel.

By now it should be obvious not to expect a typical, everyday farmhouse ale. Still, the actual 'beer' elements of this beer are not entirely lost in all the matcha flavouring; there's still the fresh-cracked peppercorn, orchard fruit, and cereal grain tastes of a typical Saison, and it drinks with the same spritzy carbonation and quenching acidity. It's different but every bit as wonderful.

Magic Ghost is an eccentric offering even for an infamously eccentric producer. A green beer sounds like a simple novelty (or worse, a gimmick) but, in truth, this is one of the most interesting offerings I've ever tried. What exactly makes it so astounding (aside from the surprisingly complimentary matcha flavour) eludes me, but take my word, it is certainly that.

03-17-2014 21:10:51 | More by biegaman
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

3.25/5  rDev -21.7%

BBD Feb 2014, 0.75 litres: uncapped and cork removed on 24th Feb 2014 at the second ever Shrewsbury bottle share (four of us on this occasion). This was one of my gifts to the group.

It's flourescent green and my senses wouldn't allow it to smell or taste of beer, my eye's deciding it was a green tea (which I believe it has infused somewhere during the brewing process) and Lincoln Pea Soup mixture with extra food colouring added.

Different and a real talking point: where does the 8% ABV go for instance and why does it look like thin Pea Soup?

I enjoyed it but can't give you a proper review or tasting notes because it's just 'strange' and beyond my realms of reasoning and writing. My scores don't make sense either!

02-26-2014 09:08:20 | More by BlackHaddock
Jwale73

Rhode Island

3.4/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

750ml corked and capped bottle. Served in a tulip. Pours the color of lime-green jello with a translucent clarity (reminiscent of Hi-C Ecto Cooler as pointed out by several in the tasting group). I have to say that I've never seen green tea this color, let alone a beer. Head is fluffy, and half an inch in height with a green tint to it. Nose expresses green tea and oak. Taste reveals more green tea, tannins, band-aids and chemicals. Mouthfeel is light-medium in body with a pleasant, even carbonation. Definitely one of the weirdest beers I've ever had, in both appearance and taste. It wasn't bad, but I'm not sure it's something I need to experience again.

01-20-2014 18:13:05 | More by Jwale73
Dope

3.15/5  rDev -24.1%

Lot D, best before January 2013.

A: Pours a cloudy green with a lot of floaties. Big soda-like fizzy tan head that disappears fast. Zero lacing and zero retention. Possibly the ugliest beer I have ever seen but I'm leaving room for future contenders.

S: Kind of a funky, dusty aroma. Cloves, citrus and melon. Floral.

T: Hmph. A little citrus and flowers up front. Kinda weird and funky in the middle, hard to ascertain - kinda tart almost. Pretty sweet throughout which is odd for a saison. Spicy, heavy on the cloves and a little bit of white pepper too in the finish.

M: Medium bodied, low carbonation.

O: Odd beer and not in a good way, much like other Fantomes I've had. I really don't understand why people buy this beer.

10-14-2013 03:06:54 | More by Dope
dirtylou

Washington

1.3/5  rDev -68.7%

750ml bottle, split

Ok. I'm sorry. I just do NOT get how this beer has ANY positive feedback. Truly one of the most terrible creations I have ever seen - a drain pour if there ever was one. let's count the ways...

1) It's green. It's f*cking green.
2) Incredibly smoky - a cross between how you smell after sitting by a campfire all night and how I imagine a yard full of burning tires would smell
3) It looks like toxic waste, but tastes worse
4) Did i mention burning rubber?

You people like this? Complete and utter undrinkable sh!t. For shame, Fantome. For shame.

08-31-2013 21:28:43 | More by dirtylou
SpeedwayJim

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Thanks to Oldp0rt for this one. I've always wanted to try this. 750ml capped and corked bottle into Tired Hands stemware. Shared with schen9303.

Pours a 3 finger frothy light lime green head with decent retention. Lacing is thick and web-like with good stick. Beer is a clear BRIGHT GREEN! Excellent! And such a novelty!

Sugary sweet nose with hints of barnyard, tea leaves, hay, Brett and just the slightest sprinkling of tartness. Bready too. Real aromatic. I like it.

Opens sweet. Hints of peppercorn, spice, and yeast. Some barnyard funk and cane sugar sweetness in the middle. Floral at the end with another big dose of yeasty goodness. Finishes sweet with a spiced aftertaste. Flavor is a bit indescribable but pretty good.

Light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Lively and filmy in the mouth and goes down aggressive and prickly. Accented finish with a briefly lingering aftertaste. Real refreshing and certainly drinks lighter than 8%.

I really like this beer for the novelty factor but the fact that its actually a well-made brew is just icing on the cake. Drinks much easier than 8% and the flavor is just interesting and pleasant enough to keep me going back for me. I'd love to keep more of these around to introduce to company!

08-30-2013 03:10:14 | More by SpeedwayJim
rudzud

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

Been holding onto this one for a long while now. Cracking in celebration to a downright horrible coworker (on a human being level) finally getting canned. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Ah yes, the fabled nearly neon green pour! Quite glad mine was green (like it should) as some others have colour issues. Anyways, a very nice rocky three finger head sits atop this green hue...a super light greenish white that fades to leave light lacing and a thin blanket.

S - Smell is distinctly Fantome, very nice light subtle funk. No alcohol, the green tea is there as a subtle herbal note in the background. Super faint apples.

T - Taste is super surprising! Very tart green apple skin, sour apple jolly ranchers, sour sour sour! Like..a Russian River and Fantome teamed up for a saison..just crazy stuff! The tea notes are there, in the background as a light herbal note. Alcohol flashes its 8% faintly on the finish, but its all granny smith apple skin on the aftertaste. Some star fruit notes too, fresh picked from the tree (which, if one has the chance, is outstanding by the way). This is awesome. Traditional saison, not even in the same book. But is this a crazy delicious experiment? Oh my goodness yes!

M - My fault as I served this at cellar temp on a very warm day...about 5 degrees too warm to start with. Quite unfortunate.

O - Overall, super, super happy I got a good bottle of this! Been worried that this bottle would be cheese or some other weird failure. Quite relieved I got a good bottle as this is just delicious and fun!

06-30-2013 02:45:40 | More by rudzud
scottfrie

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

750ml into snifter. Thanks Matt (dboon)!

A: Pours an interesting lime green hue with a short lived, active, bright white head faded into a thick collar.
S: Lightly tart and bright notes of fruit, citrus, faint apple and something medicinal. I get a hint of tea and fruit punch.
T: Follows the nose. The “green” is for some reason more fruity than tea to me, and I'm not sure if it’s by association of color that I’m getting some tart green apple. Belgian yeast, slight dough, sour citrus and golden fruits come through nicely. Not as saison-like as expected.
M: full body, low smooth bubbly carbonation, slick, lightly tart mouthfeel and slightly greasy. Interesting.
O: Really unique and strange. Not my favorite, but I’m not sure I’ve ever had a beer that quite tastes like this one.

06-09-2013 03:51:42 | More by scottfrie
pixieskid

Germany

3.74/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Fantome; love it, hate it, not sure where I'm at. Have had more good bottles than bad and that is the reason I will continue to purchase them when I see them. Grabbed this one in Brussels along with a Pissenlit (last bottle I had was terrible) and a Printemps. Trying them one at a time with my buddy who has had more bad bottles than good and isn't a fan of Fantome. Of the 5 people that tried this one, I enjoyed it, one person found it interesting, 2 didn't like it, my wife hated it.

Gave it an almost perfect score because we got a pretty green one; was hoping for the Nickelodean green, that would have been a 5. So yeah, it's a green beer because of the addition of matcha tea, it looks cool, my favorite color is green and I was stoked to have my first "naturally" green beer.

Nose: funk, herbal/earthy, grassy hops, a little booze, and some tea I suppose.
Taste: the same but there was unfortunately a prominent presence of alcohol with the addition of an earthy smokiness (most likely from the grean tea). It was interesting enough I had no problem with my glass and my wifes.

Mouthfeel; dry and crisp, a bit slick, but pretty much what I would expect from a saison.

Overall; I liked it. I love saisons, I love the color green, so it was a fun beer for me. Is it a great saison, nah.

So far, I'm still interested in buying fantome when I see it...

05-23-2013 07:27:35 | More by pixieskid
ngeunit1

4.11/5  rDev -1%

Serving: Bottle
A - Clear pale green color with a finger of frothy off-white head. Fades normal.

S - Sweet wheat and grainy malts, Belgian yeast, coriander, pepper, lemon zest, green tea.

T - Sweet wheat and pilsner malts, Belgian yeast, coriander, pepper, green tea, lemon zest, bit of funk.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth with a funky, tart, estery finish.

D - Crazy color but solid overall beer.

05-18-2013 03:24:10 | More by ngeunit1
champ103

2.84/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

A: Pours a pale green color. No head or lace is left behind. Just a strange pale, green. Looks like Kool Aid.
S: Cheesy funk up front. Light tart green apple skins and pithy lemon rind. Spearmint and minty aromas? Maybe the color is playing tricks with my head. Herbal and tea like in the finish.
T: Up front is the same cheesy funk that is in the nose. Very tannin like. Apple skins for sure. Lemony and pithy rind. Finishes very dry, and herbal like.
M/D: A light body with almost no carbonation. Thin, watery, and very dry. Interesting to try as a sample, but no way I want to drink more than a few ounces.

Fantome weirdness at its best. If you like that sort of thing. I am glad that I have been able to try this in several different settings, and never had to pay for it. Just not for me.

04-30-2013 00:48:28 | More by champ103
HuskyinPDX

Washington

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle opened on 3.3.13
Best by Jan 13

A - Pours a hazy pale light green with a soapy white head that fizzes away instantly.

S - Herbal, tea. Grassy.

T - Tart Belgian yeast and tea. Not much else is detectable behind the strong tea.

D - Lower carbonation with a light body.

O - Light Belgian saison with some green tead added. Tastes as such.

03-23-2013 16:58:36 | More by HuskyinPDX
Rifugium

4.26/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

First had: bottle I brought to share at Stone Soup '13

Poured looking like Ecto Cooler, bright green with a slight haze. Gotta love that. A small off-white head topped it off, and that sank to a thin ringlet. The aroma was unique and interesting, green tea, buttered popcorn, apple skin and melon juice, a touch of earth. Based on other reviews, I don't know if the popcorn was an off-aroma/flavor or not, but it didn't really matter, I still liked it. You never really know what you're going to get with Fantome, after all. The taste was a bit more laid back, but there were still some tea and grass notes, a bit more funkiness coming through, there was still a popcorn/butterscotch element present, but not nearly as intense as the aroma led me to believe. Light-medium body, moderate carbonation, tantalizingly drinkable. Unique and fun overall.

Upon a subsequent tasting, the buttery taste was non-existent, leading me to believe it was an off-flavor the first time I had it. More of the farmhouse funk came out, vegetal notes, and the other flavors listed before were more pronounced. I liked it a lot better this time around, and it even bumped my "taste" rating up a notch.

01-29-2013 02:40:43 | More by Rifugium
johnmichaelsen

Oregon

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

Only the crazy foks at Fantome would make a beer like this. Shared at the recent Stone Soup event.

The beer pours a a light greenish gold color with good head retention and lacing. The beer is very bit as hilarious on the nose, as I get popcorn and fruit punch, with some underlying citrus and tea. The nose is just a tease, as of course it doesn't taste anything like that. The beer was fairly dry with some decent underlying hoppy bitterness, on a very light frame. There's also some tea flavor and herbaceousness, which just adds to th weirdness. Alcohol is nearly undectable.

I doubt I could drink a lot of this stuff, but I was very glad to have the opportunity to try it.

01-28-2013 20:10:39 | More by johnmichaelsen
jaasen64

3.38/5  rDev -18.6%

750ml bottle corked and crowned. Poured into HF "Fest" wine glass.

A- Pours a translucent slightly hazy lime green with a little bit of light grey and a foamy white head that has nice retention and leaves some light layered lacing. Interesting color, unique and kind of cool, still holds the qualities of a nice saison, and I think they nailed exactly what they were going for- a greenish ghost-like ectoplasm.

S- Star fruit, kiwis, limes, green tea, some saison yeast, a light tartness, and a slightly di-acetyl buttery aroma that kind of gives off a green-tea fruity greek yogurt aroma. Interesting but weird. In my opinion the combination of aromas don't really work that well together but it isn't anything off-putting, just unusual.

T- Passion fruit, green tea, limes, star fruit, finishes with a little bit of di-acetyl butteriness mixed with a little bit of tartness and some tea. Very fruity, but not a fan of how the green tea mixes with the fruit and saison qualities.

M- Medium bodied, very drinkable, not overly carbonated, nice feel for a saison.

O- This was a very interesting and unique beer that I just didn't really care for that much. Personally I thought the appearance was really cool but the flavors kind of clashed and didn't really make for the most appealing beer aroma or flavor wise. I had trouble just finishing off a third of a glass. It reaffirms my belief that tea and beer should not be mixed together. I enjoy them separately, but every time I've had tea in beer it's been terrible. I enjoyed the uniqueness of this beer and the concept, but it isn't something I'll be looking to try again.

12-12-2012 20:16:30 | More by jaasen64
tendermorsel

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Thanks Leighton for bringing this to a London tasting.

I had given up on Fantome. Too many swampwater bottles for me in the past. This was a weird but really good beer.

Bright neon green color. Shocking looking in the glass. A bit intimidating to be honest. I love it!

Kiwi's passion fruit and tropical fruits in the nose and very heavy in the flavor. Quite sweet. minimal funky.

This reminded me a ton of the old school HiC Ecto-cooler. Hahaha.

Good stuff and the first fantome I could actually reccomend highly.

11-13-2012 14:47:21 | More by tendermorsel
Daemose

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

I've had this beer many times from a bottle.

Appearance: This beer can vary from bottle to bottle in appearance. It is usually anywhere from pale greenish yellow to a dark lime green. Nice white head.

Smell: Tart, minerally, funky, limey, citrus.

Taste: The taste is funky, limey, grassy and refreshing. Green tea is there if you close your eyes and imagine it really hard. The green color has a visual effect that creeps down from your eyes to your tastebuds.

Mouth: Its' light and refreshing, with plenty of carbonation.

Overall: This is a unique beer. I buy it whenever I can, as much as I can. I've only had the opportunity twice. It's always fun to pop open a bottle because you never know what shade of green it is going to be exactly until you open it. A crowd pleaser for sure, and delicious on top of that. One of my top favorite beers, and I'm usually a stout guy.

I don't always drink Saisons, but when I do, I prefer Magic Ghost.

Cue the rimshot.

10-29-2012 07:17:52 | More by Daemose
VWBuggirl

South Carolina

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

A: This is a light, vibrant green with a foamy white head that leaves a nice bit of lacing in the glass.

S: This has a nice amount of citrus, that is followed by a nice bit of tartness.

T: It starts off sweet and finishes with a crisp tartness.

M: The carb is well done. The body really compliments the flavors and is very well balanced.

O: I was shocked by the color of this beer when we first poured it, and initially thought it wouldn't be good and that is was gimmicky. I was pleasantly surprised and feel that it was a great take on the beer, and I expect and enjoy what this brewer does. I would highly recommend it for anyone who can get their hands on a bottle. DELICIOUS!

10-22-2012 00:11:10 | More by VWBuggirl
stubens

South Carolina

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance

Poured into a canadian whiskey glass. Appears a light ecto-plasmic green (maybe from Ghostbusters 2?) with a frothy white head that fades into a lingering lace around the edge of the glass. There’s a slight sediment that rings the bottom that deepens as the beer settles. This could look great in a black-light (anyone from the 60s lurking?)

Smell

Citrusy overtones, with a quick change to tartness (sweet-tarts?).

Taste

There’s a sweet, tartness to the finish flavor of the swig. Clean and crisp, but the tartness fades as the beer warms towards room temperature.

Mouthfeel

There’s a good balance with the carbonation. The body and the flavors match up well.

Overall

It’s one of the more unique beers that I’ve had in recent memory and re-awakens memories from one of the greatest supernatural movies of all time. Definitely worth buying and enjoying if you have the opportunity since it’s a one-off. Enjoy at your first opportunity.

10-06-2012 03:52:32 | More by stubens
aasher

Indiana

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this numerous times and it is one of my all time favorites. This pours a medium bodied, Nickolodeon sludge dark cloudy green. Every time it is one of the coolest things I've seen from a beer. The nose is light and funky with citrusy fruit notes. I get lime, wheat germ, grass, green tea,cucumber, and Belgian yeast. Who does that? The flavors are both slightly tart and really yeasty. The flavors feature green tea, lemongrass, peas, lime, and so much Belgian yeast. Wowzers this is both unique and complex. It's has near perfect body. You won't find a saison this smooth unless you drink their regular saison. This beer is fantastic. It is strange, looks crazy In a glass, and has crazy characteristics comparatively. This is weird, and a must try.

10-04-2012 03:29:21 | More by aasher
BrewerB

4.48/5  rDev +8%

Thanks to the Rare Beer Club for including this in a prior selection. Lot number "d" with a best by date of Jan 2013.

Pours a clear kiwi green with 1-2 finger cap of white foam that collapsed down thin but retains atop the beer. On the nose there's a refreshingly fruity mix of peaches, raspberries, and lime. Also picking up a bit of herbal spice, perhaps dill. Slight earthy funk. Flavor profile includes an upfront orange and peach coupled with sweetened green tea and kiwi. Dry finish leaves traces of lemon-line and saison yeastiness. Medium-light in body with a bristling carbonation. This is the first time I've sampled a Fantome beer though I can see why some craft beer fans are so crazy about the brewery. Really interesting mix of flavors makes for a very refreshing, complex session.

08-19-2012 05:21:10 | More by BrewerB
WastingFreetime

Wisconsin

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

Reviewed from tasting notes.

Pours out a very bright Mountain Dew green color with carbonation and sparkly carbonation to match. The bottom half of the bottle has some darker green sediment, so the second pour creates a darker swampy green color. Truly a striking color to behold in the glass. It has a brief moment of tall head but it dissolves away in less than a minute, without lacing.

Smells like a blend of lemon and lime, a kind of generic "green gelatin dessert" fruity aroma, strong amounts of honeydew melon (rind included), and a lesser amount of green herbals and light straw.

Tastes similar to how the nose plays, but with an additional strong granny smith apple juice sort of astringent tartness and a soft-pedaled yeastiness in the background. ABV is very well hidden.

Medium body and soft texture.

Well worth experiencing.

08-19-2012 03:21:12 | More by WastingFreetime
woosterbill

Connecticut

4.73/5  rDev +14%

750ml bottle into a 25cl Duvel tulip. Gladly I got the last (and therefore greenest!) pour at the tasting. Huge thanks to whoever brought this one, a long-time want.

A: Deep, intense, vibrant lime-colored body beneath an inch of tight pale green foam. Verdant, vibrant, vivacious.

S: Rich, soft, fruity, perfumed, herbal, grassy. Incredibly floral, complex, and integrated. Fantastic in every way.

T: Fruity, vegetal, herbal, spicy. Really high in minerality, really dry, really complex. Amazing Saison.

M: Medium-bodied, creamy, rich. Perhaps a bit heavy for the style, but luxurious.

O: What a beer. While I would usually see a neon-green beer as a worthless gimmick, the Fantôme origin promised better - and delivered. Unique, and uniquely amazing.

Cheers!

07-25-2012 22:22:38 | More by woosterbill
Thehuntmaster

South Africa

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

750ml bottle 8,0% ABV
Served chilled in an over sized wine glass.

Appearance: Hmmm, when I imagined a green beer, I thought it would be a natural greeny-yellow. I could not have been more wrong! Magic Ghost pours a bright, toxic waste green that almost seems to glow! The body is very murky and is topped by a massive, green tinted head. The head retention is average and it leaves a little lace as it recedes.

Smell: After the appearance, I was expecting something crazy from the nose, but it is actually pretty standard for a Fantome offering. Notes include: Green apple peel, lemon grass, a tart lactic note, a floral note, fresh cut grass, an earthy character and a touch of green tea leaves.

Taste: The flavour follows on from the nose quite well with notes of green apple peel, lemon, a herbal note, fresh cut grass and a distinctive green tea character in the finish.
The beer is very lightly tart and quite dry.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a high level of fairly smooth carbonation. The yeast adds a slightly chalky character to the mouthfeel.

Overall: Magic Ghost is a solid saison, clean and refreshing. It would go down very well on a hot day. I did however find it a little disappointing as after the crazy appearance I expected a little more from the flavour.

07-19-2012 08:48:54 | More by Thehuntmaster