Fantôme Magic Ghost - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme Magic GhostFantôme Magic Ghost

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 04-11-2011)
1.3/5  rDev -68.4%

750ml bottle, split

Ok. I'm sorry. I just do NOT get how this beer has ANY positive feedback. Truly one of the most terrible creations I have ever seen - a drain pour if there ever was one. let's count the ways...

1) It's green. It's f*cking green.
2) Incredibly smoky - a cross between how you smell after sitting by a campfire all night and how I imagine a yard full of burning tires would smell
3) It looks like toxic waste, but tastes worse
4) Did i mention burning rubber?

You people like this? Complete and utter undrinkable sh!t. For shame, Fantome. For shame.

dirtylou, Aug 31, 2013

Texasfan549, Jan 19, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -33.3%

CoolEthan, Jul 11, 2014
2.83/5  rDev -31.3%

Yeah, I'm gonna give this a 5 rating because of how cool/toxic the color of this beer is. It is, without a doubt, the most unique looking beer I have ever seen. Radiator cooler antifreeze green. I probably wouldn't drink this if I didn't see it poured directly from the bottle uncapped in front of me. Nice whiteish head on the top, close to 1" in height.

Aroma mostly lemon, green apple and a bunch of other fruit and unidentified spice and pepper additions that amount to a weird aroma, but not offputting.

Taste, there is something weird in here that IS offputting. Very unique, I really can't describe it other than to say its bitter with a weird spice accoutrement. The appearance constantly has me wondering if this is containing something weird, like carpet, canned vegetables and tea additions. Keep picking up clove and coriander in the mouthfeel. Plenty carbonated.

Glad I got to try it at triple rock's sourfestival, because spending 15-20$ on something like this and having to drink a 750 of it would not suit me well.

Beerandraiderfan, Apr 05, 2012
2.84/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

A: Pours a pale green color. No head or lace is left behind. Just a strange pale, green. Looks like Kool Aid.
S: Cheesy funk up front. Light tart green apple skins and pithy lemon rind. Spearmint and minty aromas? Maybe the color is playing tricks with my head. Herbal and tea like in the finish.
T: Up front is the same cheesy funk that is in the nose. Very tannin like. Apple skins for sure. Lemony and pithy rind. Finishes very dry, and herbal like.
M/D: A light body with almost no carbonation. Thin, watery, and very dry. Interesting to try as a sample, but no way I want to drink more than a few ounces.

Fantome weirdness at its best. If you like that sort of thing. I am glad that I have been able to try this in several different settings, and never had to pay for it. Just not for me.

champ103, Apr 30, 2013

westcoastbeerlvr, Nov 15, 2011

akang, Jun 10, 2014

Auror, Jan 09, 2013
3.08/5  rDev -25.2%

First thanks to Mtardiff for providing this in trade. Thanks. Glad I have a witness to this review as my experience with this beer seems to be very different than all others listed. Jctribe25 (Patrick) and I shared this bottle.

First, this beer is NOT green, at all. Pale Amber in color or perhaps a hazy dark straw color.

Aroma is very fruity and also thick with sweetness.

Flavor is thick with sweetness just like the aroma, if not even sweeter. Candied sugar takes the lead on top of a pale malt undertone. Drinks like a Belgian Pale Ale. Would never consider this to be a saison.

Soft and rounded but feels thicker due to sweetness.

Really not what I expected here.

Reagan1984, Nov 18, 2011
3.1/5  rDev -24.8%

Color: A murky neon green, like toxic waste or nickelodeon slime. Also reminded me of seaweed and I half expected a swamp monster to slowly emerge from it. Its unusual appearance was quite intriguing.

Head: A bright white short layering of head that for a few moments, morphed the appearance into green jello- with whipped topping.

Aroma: Laughter ensues, gasps and twisted faces as cat nip and skunk attack your senses. Nearly enough to stop you from trying the damn thing.

Texture: Actually quite nice, full bodied, rich and creamy, carbonation is very balanced.

Flavor & Balance: I have to give the brewers kudos for complexity on this one. Initial flavor is powerful-tart, reminiscent of rhubarb and sour apples, there is slight chemical residue that makes you wonder if it really is toxic waste. Aftertaste is grassy, like alfalfa, and stems of dandelions. When the sourness subsides you can detect remnants of green tea and a more sweetened green apple.

Sustained Taste: The aftertaste subdues it to the point that you want to take another drink, and lingers in your mouth for a very long time.

Moon2Goddess, Aug 07, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -23.5%

Lot D, best before January 2013.

A: Pours a cloudy green with a lot of floaties. Big soda-like fizzy tan head that disappears fast. Zero lacing and zero retention. Possibly the ugliest beer I have ever seen but I'm leaving room for future contenders.

S: Kind of a funky, dusty aroma. Cloves, citrus and melon. Floral.

T: Hmph. A little citrus and flowers up front. Kinda weird and funky in the middle, hard to ascertain - kinda tart almost. Pretty sweet throughout which is odd for a saison. Spicy, heavy on the cloves and a little bit of white pepper too in the finish.

M: Medium bodied, low carbonation.

O: Odd beer and not in a good way, much like other Fantomes I've had. I really don't understand why people buy this beer.

Dope, Oct 14, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -21.1%

BBD Feb 2014, 0.75 litres: uncapped and cork removed on 24th Feb 2014 at the second ever Shrewsbury bottle share (four of us on this occasion). This was one of my gifts to the group.

It's flourescent green and my senses wouldn't allow it to smell or taste of beer, my eye's deciding it was a green tea (which I believe it has infused somewhere during the brewing process) and Lincoln Pea Soup mixture with extra food colouring added.

Different and a real talking point: where does the 8% ABV go for instance and why does it look like thin Pea Soup?

I enjoyed it but can't give you a proper review or tasting notes because it's just 'strange' and beyond my realms of reasoning and writing. My scores don't make sense either!

BlackHaddock, Feb 26, 2014

HevvyMetalHippie, Dec 12, 2012

SocalKicks, Jun 10, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -21.1%

From 11/05/11 notes. Bottle shared by someone at the mega-Fantome tasting. Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Cigar City snifter.

a - Pours a yellow-green color with light sediment, moderate carbonation evident, and one inch of white head. Looks odd and off, though not as neon green as some bottles.

s - Smells of fruity malts, spices, light yeast, and light earthy notes. Nice fruit, but not too strong.

t - Tastes of fruity malts, spices, yeast, and vegetables. A bit odd; a step down from the nose.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Pretty easy to drink.

o - Overall not my favorite at the tasting, but good. Appearance is very odd looking, but luckily it smells and tastes a ton better. Would have it again, but wouldn't be my go-to Fantome beer.

mdfb79, Nov 10, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -18%

750ml bottle corked and crowned. Poured into HF "Fest" wine glass.

A- Pours a translucent slightly hazy lime green with a little bit of light grey and a foamy white head that has nice retention and leaves some light layered lacing. Interesting color, unique and kind of cool, still holds the qualities of a nice saison, and I think they nailed exactly what they were going for- a greenish ghost-like ectoplasm.

S- Star fruit, kiwis, limes, green tea, some saison yeast, a light tartness, and a slightly di-acetyl buttery aroma that kind of gives off a green-tea fruity greek yogurt aroma. Interesting but weird. In my opinion the combination of aromas don't really work that well together but it isn't anything off-putting, just unusual.

T- Passion fruit, green tea, limes, star fruit, finishes with a little bit of di-acetyl butteriness mixed with a little bit of tartness and some tea. Very fruity, but not a fan of how the green tea mixes with the fruit and saison qualities.

M- Medium bodied, very drinkable, not overly carbonated, nice feel for a saison.

O- This was a very interesting and unique beer that I just didn't really care for that much. Personally I thought the appearance was really cool but the flavors kind of clashed and didn't really make for the most appealing beer aroma or flavor wise. I had trouble just finishing off a third of a glass. It reaffirms my belief that tea and beer should not be mixed together. I enjoy them separately, but every time I've had tea in beer it's been terrible. I enjoyed the uniqueness of this beer and the concept, but it isn't something I'll be looking to try again.

jaasen64, Dec 12, 2012