Fantôme Magic Ghost - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme Magic GhostFantôme Magic Ghost

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: womencantsail on 04-11-2011

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 292 | Reviews: 124
4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

3.26/5  rDev -20.9%

BBD Feb 2014, 0.75 litres: uncapped and cork removed on 24th Feb 2014 at the second ever Shrewsbury bottle share (four of us on this occasion). This was one of my gifts to the group.

It's flourescent green and my senses wouldn't allow it to smell or taste of beer, my eye's deciding it was a green tea (which I believe it has infused somewhere during the brewing process) and Lincoln Pea Soup mixture with extra food colouring added.

Different and a real talking point: where does the 8% ABV go for instance and why does it look like thin Pea Soup?

I enjoyed it but can't give you a proper review or tasting notes because it's just 'strange' and beyond my realms of reasoning and writing. My scores don't make sense either!

3.75/5  rDev -9%

3.42/5  rDev -17%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

750ml corked and capped bottle. Served in a tulip. Pours the color of lime-green jello with a translucent clarity (reminiscent of Hi-C Ecto Cooler as pointed out by several in the tasting group). I have to say that I've never seen green tea this color, let alone a beer. Head is fluffy, and half an inch in height with a green tint to it. Nose expresses green tea and oak. Taste reveals more green tea, tannins, band-aids and chemicals. Mouthfeel is light-medium in body with a pleasant, even carbonation. Definitely one of the weirdest beers I've ever had, in both appearance and taste. It wasn't bad, but I'm not sure it's something I need to experience again.

3.5/5  rDev -15%

3.75/5  rDev -9%

3.18/5  rDev -22.8%

Lot D, best before January 2013.

A: Pours a cloudy green with a lot of floaties. Big soda-like fizzy tan head that disappears fast. Zero lacing and zero retention. Possibly the ugliest beer I have ever seen but I'm leaving room for future contenders.

S: Kind of a funky, dusty aroma. Cloves, citrus and melon. Floral.

T: Hmph. A little citrus and flowers up front. Kinda weird and funky in the middle, hard to ascertain - kinda tart almost. Pretty sweet throughout which is odd for a saison. Spicy, heavy on the cloves and a little bit of white pepper too in the finish.

M: Medium bodied, low carbonation.

O: Odd beer and not in a good way, much like other Fantomes I've had. I really don't understand why people buy this beer.

1.34/5  rDev -67.5%

750ml bottle, split

Ok. I'm sorry. I just do NOT get how this beer has ANY positive feedback. Truly one of the most terrible creations I have ever seen - a drain pour if there ever was one. let's count the ways...

1) It's green. It's f*cking green.
2) Incredibly smoky - a cross between how you smell after sitting by a campfire all night and how I imagine a yard full of burning tires would smell
3) It looks like toxic waste, but tastes worse
4) Did i mention burning rubber?

You people like this? Complete and utter undrinkable sh!t. For shame, Fantome. For shame.

4.09/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to Oldp0rt for this one. I've always wanted to try this. 750ml capped and corked bottle into Tired Hands stemware. Shared with schen9303.

Pours a 3 finger frothy light lime green head with decent retention. Lacing is thick and web-like with good stick. Beer is a clear BRIGHT GREEN! Excellent! And such a novelty!

Sugary sweet nose with hints of barnyard, tea leaves, hay, Brett and just the slightest sprinkling of tartness. Bready too. Real aromatic. I like it.

Opens sweet. Hints of peppercorn, spice, and yeast. Some barnyard funk and cane sugar sweetness in the middle. Floral at the end with another big dose of yeasty goodness. Finishes sweet with a spiced aftertaste. Flavor is a bit indescribable but pretty good.

Light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Lively and filmy in the mouth and goes down aggressive and prickly. Accented finish with a briefly lingering aftertaste. Real refreshing and certainly drinks lighter than 8%.

I really like this beer for the novelty factor but the fact that its actually a well-made brew is just icing on the cake. Drinks much easier than 8% and the flavor is just interesting and pleasant enough to keep me going back for me. I'd love to keep more of these around to introduce to company!

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Fantôme Magic Ghost from Brasserie Fantôme