Fantôme Magic Ghost - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme Magic GhostFantôme Magic Ghost

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 04-11-2011)
« first ‹ prev | 226-250 | 251-275 | 276-300  | next › last »
3.8/5  rDev -7.8%

750ml bottle.

Holy shit, I had no idea it was going to pour like this...lime green with a off-white/green head that leaves some lime-colored lacing and a small cap. I have never seen a beer like this...ever.

Aroma brings me back to reality and expectations a bit. It's got the nice earthy, grassy Fantome character with some green tea and light herbs and spices. There is also an overall grainy character to the nose.

The taste has more of a zing than the aroma would suggest. The green tea is more pronounced, as is the Belgian yeast with the grassy notes taking on a bit of acidity which definitely didn't come through in the nose. The finish is green tea and light sweet fruits and malts.

The mouthfeel is light and effervescent and pleasantly prickly.

This is another curveball saison thrown by Fantome. The color is shocking, which the nose is a little more subtle. The taste brings back some shock value with the green tea coming through. Overall, it's not my favorite from Fantome, but it's still better than most.

gford217, Jul 24, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +17.7%

Body is a hazy, light pastel green. The only green beer I've ever seen without adding woodruff syrup or green food coloring. A perfect pastel green color for Easter but it would work well for St. Patrick's Day too. Head poured to a half inch lasts quite awhile, and is regenerated with swirling, leaving lots of little clouds of lacing.

Smells of green tea, malt, candi sweetness (as in a lollipop), and spices--probably coriander and ginger.

Tastes delightful. On the front palate, malt and green tea--which go together delightfully--midpalate is delightfully lemony acidic, with a little backdrop of malt sugar, back palate is a little dry and just slightly tannic from the green tea with a bit of a spice burn on the tongue. Just a delightful taste experience. Yet this definitely has the saison profile, especially the Fantôme yeast.

Body is medium as is the carbonation, and produces a nice substantial creamy mouthfeel as a saison should.

Overall, it is the weirdest saison I've ever set eyes or mouth to, but another splendid contribution from Fantôme. How many ways can Fantôme spell saison? This is a very good beer to pair with food. I had this with a dinner of grilled steelhead trout and gingered carrots, and I was very pleased how it all went together. The acid cuts through the fish fats while the ginger blended well with the sweet gingered carrots, held in balance by the lemon acidity of the beer. I wouldn't drink a whole 750 ml bottle of this all by itself without some food pairing, but you could twist my arm.

Beerenauslese, Jul 22, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

A- Hazy aloe vera green with about an inch of brilliant white head. Reduces over a minute or so, leaving no lacing.

S-Similar to the regular Fantome Saison, but a little less herbaceous. I don't specifically smell green tea, but there is a faint whiff of leafy, vegetal something or other in there.

T/M-Appropriately bizarre for Fantome, and yet it all comes together in such a harmonious way.The green tea, though understated, comes through just enough to provide a fascinating counterflavor to the signature funk of the Fantome saison yeast. There's also a lemony tartness that comes in mid-palate, providing a temporary change of tone from the earthy funk, but that lasts only a moment. The finish is yeasty and slick, with the most subtle hint of tea bitterness and aloe.

O-Wow. Another winner from Fantome. Don't be turned off by the appearance, this stuff is serious business.

DaveHS, Jul 16, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +0.2%

Thanks to Richard for sharing this interesting beer.

A: The pour on this beer is an alluring bright yet hazy green with a small, light green/white head.

S: Some tea is certainly noticeable on the nose, which is quite interesting. A fairly heavy hand on the spice notes and a mild which consists of mostly funk and straw. A light floral note as well as some cracker and bready malts.

T: I was sort of surprised by the amount of green tea flavor this has. There is a mild sweetness or bread and malt. A sort of unexpected acidity comes through on the back end and give some apple and lemon zest flavors.

M: The body is medium with carbonation on the higher side of medium.

O: With the amount of unknowns that go into drinking a Fantome beer, I was hesitant to get excited about this. Luckily, it really impressed me and I found it to be a great beer.

womencantsail, Jul 11, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

I picked up two bottles of Fantome Magic Ghost. Big mistake...I should have picked up as many as I could! I'm not reviewing many beers here, only the really great and perhaps the really bad.

This one may well be my favorite Fantome. My favorite,....not the best since I don't even know what that means when talking about beer...it is, however, my favorite.

I also suspect it's my favorite since it's relatively new, I'm told, and just full of fresh, full, floral, assertive and wonderful character in all respects.

Color is the only crazy thing about it. Green. Yes, it's made with green tea. And, it's green. I heard that food color was added but I don't know if it's true or urban legend at this point. Suffice it to say it's green. No head.

Nose is pure floral, elegant and fruity green tea and sweet pepper/tea elegance. The fruit tones and sweet floral quality are just really inviting and full of perfume.

Mouthfeel is medium but fresh and with light carbonation. The mouthfeel has one of my favorite characteristics in that it feels "bright" and fresh in the mouth. It is uplifting and exciting in the mouth, almost inviting one to gulp.

Flavors profile is sensational. I've only just learned that the proper way to make green tea is to use only warm water - not hot water. I'm told that in Japan those in the know actually use water that is only as hot as body temperature. In that way, one gets the fresh, elegant, sweet, floral and perfumy character of green tea. I've learned that the tannic bitterness characteristic in some green tea is that the tea is actually burned by the hot water.

Well, Fantome makes great green tea! Clearly. This beer demonstrates a flavor profile of "properly brewed" green tea. The green tea flavors are just bursting and fresh. There is a floral, perfume sweet green tea character all around with none of the bitter or tannic character.

Finish is likewise elegant, fruity albeit short.

A complete winner. One of the few brews where I'm really regretting not getting more bottles when I had the chance. One left and it will be consumed soon, fresh, at an upcoming beer tasting. Aging will only take this wonderful fresh, sweet, elegant perfume out of the beer. I'll not age this one. I'll drink as many bottles as I can find.

GRG1313, Jun 29, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

Picked up 2x 750 ml bottles today. Aging one, drinking one today. As mentioned by the other reviewers, this beer pours a hazy lime green with a massive soapy white head. Sticks all over the glass as I swirl it around.

Aroma consists of yeast funk, pepper, lemon, and green tea. Some other earthy, spicy characters in the nose as well, but not easily described. Flavor has a sweet malty/grainy backbone with other flavors following the nose; lemon zest, orange, ginger and green tea. Finish is rather tart and dry. Bubbly on the tongue with a rather light, refreshing body. Very different but enjoyable brew.

muttyd, Jun 19, 2011

Bottle: Poured a bright clear green (?) color ale with a huge bubbly pure white foamy head with good retention and minimal lacing. Aroma consists of light green tea notes and loads of ginger – very reminiscent of ginger ale. Taste is also a very unique mix of ginger and green tea with semi-sweet Belgian malt base. Body is quite full with a very spritzy-like carbonation and no apparent alcohol. This one is quite unique (like a few other beers form this brewer) and something I would like to have occasionally again.

Phyl21ca, Apr 26, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +2.4%

First one to rate this beer, interesting. Always happy to try a new Fantome beer.

Tried from a 750 ml bottle that was recently shared by bu11zeye. The beer pours a hazy green color with a white head. One of the few beers that is truly green colored, I guess this comes from the green tea that the beer is brewed with.

The aroma is very nice. I get a lot of wheat and lemon notes, as I expected, but I also get some green tea. Very interesting.

The flavor is more of the same. Green tea and oranges dominate the flavor with some wheat hiding in the background. There are also some pepper and tannin (from the green tea) notes and the beer is slightly sour with a little bit of funk.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Mora2000, Apr 24, 2011