Fantôme Magic Ghost - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme Magic GhostFantôme Magic Ghost

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 04-11-2011)

marqoid, Jun 29, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

750ml into snifter. Thanks Matt (dboon)!

A: Pours an interesting lime green hue with a short lived, active, bright white head faded into a thick collar.
S: Lightly tart and bright notes of fruit, citrus, faint apple and something medicinal. I get a hint of tea and fruit punch.
T: Follows the nose. The “green” is for some reason more fruity than tea to me, and I'm not sure if it’s by association of color that I’m getting some tart green apple. Belgian yeast, slight dough, sour citrus and golden fruits come through nicely. Not as saison-like as expected.
M: full body, low smooth bubbly carbonation, slick, lightly tart mouthfeel and slightly greasy. Interesting.
O: Really unique and strange. Not my favorite, but I’m not sure I’ve ever had a beer that quite tastes like this one.

scottfrie, Jun 09, 2013

brez8791, Jun 01, 2013

aapp, May 28, 2013

TheRuss9585, May 23, 2013
3.74/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Fantome; love it, hate it, not sure where I'm at. Have had more good bottles than bad and that is the reason I will continue to purchase them when I see them. Grabbed this one in Brussels along with a Pissenlit (last bottle I had was terrible) and a Printemps. Trying them one at a time with my buddy who has had more bad bottles than good and isn't a fan of Fantome. Of the 5 people that tried this one, I enjoyed it, one person found it interesting, 2 didn't like it, my wife hated it.

Gave it an almost perfect score because we got a pretty green one; was hoping for the Nickelodean green, that would have been a 5. So yeah, it's a green beer because of the addition of matcha tea, it looks cool, my favorite color is green and I was stoked to have my first "naturally" green beer.

Nose: funk, herbal/earthy, grassy hops, a little booze, and some tea I suppose.
Taste: the same but there was unfortunately a prominent presence of alcohol with the addition of an earthy smokiness (most likely from the grean tea). It was interesting enough I had no problem with my glass and my wifes.

Mouthfeel; dry and crisp, a bit slick, but pretty much what I would expect from a saison.

Overall; I liked it. I love saisons, I love the color green, so it was a fun beer for me. Is it a great saison, nah.

So far, I'm still interested in buying fantome when I see it...

pixieskid, May 23, 2013

InspectorBob, May 22, 2013

CelticAleMan, May 19, 2013
4.11/5  rDev -0.2%

Serving: Bottle
A - Clear pale green color with a finger of frothy off-white head. Fades normal.

S - Sweet wheat and grainy malts, Belgian yeast, coriander, pepper, lemon zest, green tea.

T - Sweet wheat and pilsner malts, Belgian yeast, coriander, pepper, green tea, lemon zest, bit of funk.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth with a funky, tart, estery finish.

D - Crazy color but solid overall beer.

ngeunit1, May 18, 2013

Noyt, May 12, 2013

Compton25, May 09, 2013
2.84/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

A: Pours a pale green color. No head or lace is left behind. Just a strange pale, green. Looks like Kool Aid.
S: Cheesy funk up front. Light tart green apple skins and pithy lemon rind. Spearmint and minty aromas? Maybe the color is playing tricks with my head. Herbal and tea like in the finish.
T: Up front is the same cheesy funk that is in the nose. Very tannin like. Apple skins for sure. Lemony and pithy rind. Finishes very dry, and herbal like.
M/D: A light body with almost no carbonation. Thin, watery, and very dry. Interesting to try as a sample, but no way I want to drink more than a few ounces.

Fantome weirdness at its best. If you like that sort of thing. I am glad that I have been able to try this in several different settings, and never had to pay for it. Just not for me.

champ103, Apr 30, 2013

drummermattie02, Apr 29, 2013

MattKane, Apr 29, 2013

thewimperoo, Apr 22, 2013
4.18/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle opened on 3.3.13
Best by Jan 13

A - Pours a hazy pale light green with a soapy white head that fizzes away instantly.

S - Herbal, tea. Grassy.

T - Tart Belgian yeast and tea. Not much else is detectable behind the strong tea.

D - Lower carbonation with a light body.

O - Light Belgian saison with some green tead added. Tastes as such.

HuskyinPDX, Mar 23, 2013

graymoment, Feb 17, 2013

Archemedies, Feb 14, 2013

leodarko, Feb 03, 2013
4.26/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

First had: bottle I brought to share at Stone Soup '13

Poured looking like Ecto Cooler, bright green with a slight haze. Gotta love that. A small off-white head topped it off, and that sank to a thin ringlet. The aroma was unique and interesting, green tea, buttered popcorn, apple skin and melon juice, a touch of earth. Based on other reviews, I don't know if the popcorn was an off-aroma/flavor or not, but it didn't really matter, I still liked it. You never really know what you're going to get with Fantome, after all. The taste was a bit more laid back, but there were still some tea and grass notes, a bit more funkiness coming through, there was still a popcorn/butterscotch element present, but not nearly as intense as the aroma led me to believe. Light-medium body, moderate carbonation, tantalizingly drinkable. Unique and fun overall.

Upon a subsequent tasting, the buttery taste was non-existent, leading me to believe it was an off-flavor the first time I had it. More of the farmhouse funk came out, vegetal notes, and the other flavors listed before were more pronounced. I liked it a lot better this time around, and it even bumped my "taste" rating up a notch.

Rifugium, Jan 29, 2013