Fantôme Magic Ghost - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme Magic GhostFantôme Magic Ghost

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 04-11-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
pixieskid

Germany

3.74/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Fantome; love it, hate it, not sure where I'm at. Have had more good bottles than bad and that is the reason I will continue to purchase them when I see them. Grabbed this one in Brussels along with a Pissenlit (last bottle I had was terrible) and a Printemps. Trying them one at a time with my buddy who has had more bad bottles than good and isn't a fan of Fantome. Of the 5 people that tried this one, I enjoyed it, one person found it interesting, 2 didn't like it, my wife hated it.

Gave it an almost perfect score because we got a pretty green one; was hoping for the Nickelodean green, that would have been a 5. So yeah, it's a green beer because of the addition of matcha tea, it looks cool, my favorite color is green and I was stoked to have my first "naturally" green beer.

Nose: funk, herbal/earthy, grassy hops, a little booze, and some tea I suppose.
Taste: the same but there was unfortunately a prominent presence of alcohol with the addition of an earthy smokiness (most likely from the grean tea). It was interesting enough I had no problem with my glass and my wifes.

Mouthfeel; dry and crisp, a bit slick, but pretty much what I would expect from a saison.

Overall; I liked it. I love saisons, I love the color green, so it was a fun beer for me. Is it a great saison, nah.

So far, I'm still interested in buying fantome when I see it...

05-23-2013 07:27:35 | More by pixieskid
InspectorBob

05-22-2013 15:51:56 | More by InspectorBob
CelticAleMan

05-19-2013 06:35:13 | More by CelticAleMan
ngeunit1

4.11/5  rDev -0.5%

Serving: Bottle
A - Clear pale green color with a finger of frothy off-white head. Fades normal.

S - Sweet wheat and grainy malts, Belgian yeast, coriander, pepper, lemon zest, green tea.

T - Sweet wheat and pilsner malts, Belgian yeast, coriander, pepper, green tea, lemon zest, bit of funk.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth with a funky, tart, estery finish.

D - Crazy color but solid overall beer.

05-18-2013 03:24:10 | More by ngeunit1
Noyt

Quebec (Canada)

05-12-2013 05:09:20 | More by Noyt
Compton25

05-09-2013 19:39:34 | More by Compton25
champ103

2.84/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

A: Pours a pale green color. No head or lace is left behind. Just a strange pale, green. Looks like Kool Aid.
S: Cheesy funk up front. Light tart green apple skins and pithy lemon rind. Spearmint and minty aromas? Maybe the color is playing tricks with my head. Herbal and tea like in the finish.
T: Up front is the same cheesy funk that is in the nose. Very tannin like. Apple skins for sure. Lemony and pithy rind. Finishes very dry, and herbal like.
M/D: A light body with almost no carbonation. Thin, watery, and very dry. Interesting to try as a sample, but no way I want to drink more than a few ounces.

Fantome weirdness at its best. If you like that sort of thing. I am glad that I have been able to try this in several different settings, and never had to pay for it. Just not for me.

04-30-2013 00:48:28 | More by champ103

04-22-2013 03:12:18 | More by thewimperoo
HuskyinPDX

Washington

4.18/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle opened on 3.3.13
Best by Jan 13

A - Pours a hazy pale light green with a soapy white head that fizzes away instantly.

S - Herbal, tea. Grassy.

T - Tart Belgian yeast and tea. Not much else is detectable behind the strong tea.

D - Lower carbonation with a light body.

O - Light Belgian saison with some green tead added. Tastes as such.

03-23-2013 16:58:36 | More by HuskyinPDX

leodarko

02-03-2013 21:37:13 | More by leodarko
Rifugium

4.26/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

First had: bottle I brought to share at Stone Soup '13

Poured looking like Ecto Cooler, bright green with a slight haze. Gotta love that. A small off-white head topped it off, and that sank to a thin ringlet. The aroma was unique and interesting, green tea, buttered popcorn, apple skin and melon juice, a touch of earth. Based on other reviews, I don't know if the popcorn was an off-aroma/flavor or not, but it didn't really matter, I still liked it. You never really know what you're going to get with Fantome, after all. The taste was a bit more laid back, but there were still some tea and grass notes, a bit more funkiness coming through, there was still a popcorn/butterscotch element present, but not nearly as intense as the aroma led me to believe. Light-medium body, moderate carbonation, tantalizingly drinkable. Unique and fun overall.

Upon a subsequent tasting, the buttery taste was non-existent, leading me to believe it was an off-flavor the first time I had it. More of the farmhouse funk came out, vegetal notes, and the other flavors listed before were more pronounced. I liked it a lot better this time around, and it even bumped my "taste" rating up a notch.

01-29-2013 02:40:43 | More by Rifugium
John_M

Oregon

4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Only the crazy foks at Fantome would make a beer like this. Shared at the recent Stone Soup event.

The beer pours a a light greenish gold color with good head retention and lacing. The beer is very bit as hilarious on the nose, as I get popcorn and fruit punch, with some underlying citrus and tea. The nose is just a tease, as of course it doesn't taste anything like that. The beer was fairly dry with some decent underlying hoppy bitterness, on a very light frame. There's also some tea flavor and herbaceousness, which just adds to th weirdness. Alcohol is nearly undectable.

I doubt I could drink a lot of this stuff, but I was very glad to have the opportunity to try it.

01-28-2013 20:10:39 | More by John_M