Fantôme Magic Ghost - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme Magic GhostFantôme Magic Ghost

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 04-11-2011)

doremite, Jul 01, 2013

bennetj17, Jun 30, 2013
4.68/5  rDev +13.6%

Been holding onto this one for a long while now. Cracking in celebration to a downright horrible coworker (on a human being level) finally getting canned. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Ah yes, the fabled nearly neon green pour! Quite glad mine was green (like it should) as some others have colour issues. Anyways, a very nice rocky three finger head sits atop this green hue...a super light greenish white that fades to leave light lacing and a thin blanket.

S - Smell is distinctly Fantome, very nice light subtle funk. No alcohol, the green tea is there as a subtle herbal note in the background. Super faint apples.

T - Taste is super surprising! Very tart green apple skin, sour apple jolly ranchers, sour sour sour! Like..a Russian River and Fantome teamed up for a saison..just crazy stuff! The tea notes are there, in the background as a light herbal note. Alcohol flashes its 8% faintly on the finish, but its all granny smith apple skin on the aftertaste. Some star fruit notes too, fresh picked from the tree (which, if one has the chance, is outstanding by the way). This is awesome. Traditional saison, not even in the same book. But is this a crazy delicious experiment? Oh my goodness yes!

M - My fault as I served this at cellar temp on a very warm day...about 5 degrees too warm to start with. Quite unfortunate.

O - Overall, super, super happy I got a good bottle of this! Been worried that this bottle would be cheese or some other weird failure. Quite relieved I got a good bottle as this is just delicious and fun!

rudzud, Jun 30, 2013

marqoid, Jun 29, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

750ml into snifter. Thanks Matt (dboon)!

A: Pours an interesting lime green hue with a short lived, active, bright white head faded into a thick collar.
S: Lightly tart and bright notes of fruit, citrus, faint apple and something medicinal. I get a hint of tea and fruit punch.
T: Follows the nose. The “green” is for some reason more fruity than tea to me, and I'm not sure if it’s by association of color that I’m getting some tart green apple. Belgian yeast, slight dough, sour citrus and golden fruits come through nicely. Not as saison-like as expected.
M: full body, low smooth bubbly carbonation, slick, lightly tart mouthfeel and slightly greasy. Interesting.
O: Really unique and strange. Not my favorite, but I’m not sure I’ve ever had a beer that quite tastes like this one.

scottfrie, Jun 09, 2013

brez8791, Jun 01, 2013

aapp, May 28, 2013

TheRuss9585, May 23, 2013
3.74/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Fantome; love it, hate it, not sure where I'm at. Have had more good bottles than bad and that is the reason I will continue to purchase them when I see them. Grabbed this one in Brussels along with a Pissenlit (last bottle I had was terrible) and a Printemps. Trying them one at a time with my buddy who has had more bad bottles than good and isn't a fan of Fantome. Of the 5 people that tried this one, I enjoyed it, one person found it interesting, 2 didn't like it, my wife hated it.

Gave it an almost perfect score because we got a pretty green one; was hoping for the Nickelodean green, that would have been a 5. So yeah, it's a green beer because of the addition of matcha tea, it looks cool, my favorite color is green and I was stoked to have my first "naturally" green beer.

Nose: funk, herbal/earthy, grassy hops, a little booze, and some tea I suppose.
Taste: the same but there was unfortunately a prominent presence of alcohol with the addition of an earthy smokiness (most likely from the grean tea). It was interesting enough I had no problem with my glass and my wifes.

Mouthfeel; dry and crisp, a bit slick, but pretty much what I would expect from a saison.

Overall; I liked it. I love saisons, I love the color green, so it was a fun beer for me. Is it a great saison, nah.

So far, I'm still interested in buying fantome when I see it...

pixieskid, May 23, 2013

InspectorBob, May 22, 2013

CelticAleMan, May 19, 2013
4.11/5  rDev -0.2%

Serving: Bottle
A - Clear pale green color with a finger of frothy off-white head. Fades normal.

S - Sweet wheat and grainy malts, Belgian yeast, coriander, pepper, lemon zest, green tea.

T - Sweet wheat and pilsner malts, Belgian yeast, coriander, pepper, green tea, lemon zest, bit of funk.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth with a funky, tart, estery finish.

D - Crazy color but solid overall beer.

ngeunit1, May 18, 2013

Noyt, May 12, 2013

Compton25, May 09, 2013
2.84/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

A: Pours a pale green color. No head or lace is left behind. Just a strange pale, green. Looks like Kool Aid.
S: Cheesy funk up front. Light tart green apple skins and pithy lemon rind. Spearmint and minty aromas? Maybe the color is playing tricks with my head. Herbal and tea like in the finish.
T: Up front is the same cheesy funk that is in the nose. Very tannin like. Apple skins for sure. Lemony and pithy rind. Finishes very dry, and herbal like.
M/D: A light body with almost no carbonation. Thin, watery, and very dry. Interesting to try as a sample, but no way I want to drink more than a few ounces.

Fantome weirdness at its best. If you like that sort of thing. I am glad that I have been able to try this in several different settings, and never had to pay for it. Just not for me.

champ103, Apr 30, 2013

drummermattie02, Apr 29, 2013

MattKane, Apr 29, 2013

thewimperoo, Apr 22, 2013
4.18/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle opened on 3.3.13
Best by Jan 13

A - Pours a hazy pale light green with a soapy white head that fizzes away instantly.

S - Herbal, tea. Grassy.

T - Tart Belgian yeast and tea. Not much else is detectable behind the strong tea.

D - Lower carbonation with a light body.

O - Light Belgian saison with some green tead added. Tastes as such.

HuskyinPDX, Mar 23, 2013