2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Fantôme Magic Ghost - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme Magic GhostFantôme Magic Ghost

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: womencantsail on 04-11-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 269 | Reviews: 123 | Show All Ratings:
Trilogy31

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

Hard to rate as its a one of a kind. Pours completely a hazy green vegetable puree with a white finger of foam leaving little lacing. The nose follows the taste with heavy vegetal/herbal notes, grenadine and wild flower/weedy notes. The taste and mouthfeel is more of the samd and almost comes across as a sour. Nicely done but not to be tried again at $16 per bottle.

07-27-2011 05:33:22 | More by Trilogy31
pdoran10

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Magic Ghost pouts out a hazy slightly green golden color into a pint glass. One finger of white head that fades quickly. Slight ecto cooler resemblance in a good way.

The smell is fresh bright tea leaves and slight citrus mango tartness. Very inviting lively smells.

Taste is citrus tea that blends to a slightly bready wheat note. I get a hint of tart citrus bite in the finish. Very complex with many nuanced flavors.

Mouthfeel is moderate with normal carbonation levels. More dialed in carbonation levels than most Fantome beers I have had. Perhaps this is because it is so fresh.

Overall I am really impressed with this beer. One of my favorite breweries put out a great product here. I would buy this in bulk if it were in Minnesota.

10-03-2011 00:26:01 | More by pdoran10
05Harley

New Hampshire

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

Best before Date: 1/2013

Purchased @ Hill Farmstead (Harvest Festival 10/1/11) Greensboro, VT

Price - $15/bottle

My first thought here is "Why put this in a green bottle!?

Pours a hazey straw yellow with a single finger soapy white head (no green). Average retention with spotty lacing. I heard this was suppose to look green but I'm not getting any green whatsoever. Streams of carbonation are visible and help maintain a thin film which covers the top.

The nose is lemon and lime with some earthy notes. An underlying musty foundation from the Belgian yeast authenticates it's style.

The flavor is surprisingly sweeter than other Saisons I've experienced, but still balanced. This example has a strong citrus backbone which I dig. Zesty flavors of lemon, green apple and kiwi dominate the taste.

Mouthfeel is light and clean with a low carbonated feel which is perfect for the style. The body is light and refreshing with a mild tartness. In the end it's noticeably dry.

Overall a pretty impressive example of the style and my favorite to date. If I come across more in the future, I'll certainly buy it. Quite sessionable and maybe a little dangerous @ 8%.

12-08-2011 01:06:36 | More by 05Harley
Chizoad

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I really wish I could give the appearance of this beer a big fat "?" rather than a number. I was careful to pour the beer without disturbing the bottom layer of yeast. Pale green/yellow with a fizzy head that left no lacing and no cap. Afterwards I poured the yeast etc. into the glass, and it was a murky dark green. Highly bizarre.

Smells of, in no particular order, banana, coriander, barnyard, malts, vinegar. A real smorgasbord. Complex and excellent.

Flavors much the same as the nose but with some small modifications. No coriander in the taste, but green apple, lemon, malt, slight bittering (hops? green tea?), banana, and the funk kind of ran away. An amazing swirl of flavors that work together and randomly appear as a highlight with each sip.

Light, effervescent body in line with the flavors of the beer.

Great beer with very unique flavors. Never really picked up the green tea in it except for the color. Another fine offering from one of the most unique brewers out there.

08-08-2011 03:10:48 | More by Chizoad
PerHops

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

S- Bottle, best by 2016

A- This one is a gusher! There are literally pieces of green (leaves?) in the foam. I have never seen this in a beer before. The color is also unique, an almost army green.

S- This is one of the funkier fantomes I've had the pleasure of smelling. Fruity, but mostly super funky, dank, catty. The smell is (almost) off putting. I can see where some people would not like the aroma at all. But for those who seek that signature fantome funk, this will impress.

T- Sweeter than I expected from the aroma. Overripe pear, some funk, vegetal and herbal notes.

M- Nice medium full bodied mouthfeel maybe slightly less carbonated than I would prefer.

O- Second time I've had this and so glad I have more to try in the future! Thanks Mark!

03-24-2014 22:43:17 | More by PerHops
Kshock

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Pizza Port Belgian Beer Party 2011

A- No way...Its reminds me of ecto-cooler when i was a kid. Pours a bright green with an off white head that has a very light green tint to it. Good retention.

S- Smells of barn yard funk, malt sweetness, Belgian yeast characteristics, with some earthy green tea notes hiding in the background.

T--Amazing flavors, marry very well with one another. Starts out sweet, dries quickly revealing some earthy green tea flavors. Nice slightly sour/tart presence all through out. Really unique beer.

M- Bubbly with med-lite body.

O- Kick Ass!!!

08-12-2011 23:29:10 | More by Kshock
321jeff

Maryland

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Sômeône already mentiôned this, but this ône pôurs an Ectô-côôler green with a massive green-tinted head. Is it St. Patty's day? nôpe, it's Fantôme day! The head quickly fades tô a thin côllar that leaves sôme spôtty lacing.

The arôma is as unique as the côlôr, sôme Fantôme funk with sôme Belgian yeast and I'm getting sôme hints ôf green tea as well.

Taste is slightly tart with sôme hints ôf green tea and a sweetness that reminds me ôf a gummy bear, but it's môre mild than that. I alsô get sôme hints ôf ôther spices, but I can't put my finger ôn what they are.

Môuthfeel is a little ôn the thin side but with môderate carbônatiôn. Anôther interesting ôffering frôm Fantôme, that wôn't be fôrgôtten anytime sôôn.

08-03-2011 00:04:56 | More by 321jeff
rdickey

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy green (!?!) into a Golden Monkey tulip. I thought I was prepared for it, but it’s still rather shocking when you first see it. My significant other warned me against drinking it, but I’m willing to take this risk. A one-finger, greenish head sticks vanishes rather quickly, leaving a small amount of lacing as I work my way through the glass.

Smell: Interesting, and certainly unusual. I get a combination of two different types of fruits – lemons and other citrus on one hand, and tart berries on the other. Surrounding it all is a light, almost herbal spiciness.

Taste: For me, this beer defies characterization, and it’s hard to figure out how to describe it. I suppose I can say that the tart berries that came through in the nose remain, the citrus from the nose becomes almost sweet, there’s a modest biscuit-y malt backbone and a vague herbal feel, and a hint of grass and straw from the yeast, and it all works. At the very end, after I’ve swallowed, I get a hint of the green tea. This may be the most incoherent review I’ve ever written, but this beer is a real stumper.

Mouthfeel: It’s pretty highly carbonated, and feels very light in the mouth – it almost dances on your tongue.

Drinkability: Quite high. I have no idea how to even begin thinking of pairing this with food, and unlike a traditional saison I think you’d need to think a little about it, but I’m sure there are some good combinations.

12-04-2011 00:17:09 | More by rdickey
DearthVader

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

750 provided by LSUPT. I've been really looking forward to this one since I heard news of it. Thanks Alex.

Enjoyed with my girlfriend in a pair of Fantome tulips.

At first, it pours yellow with a white head that boasts a very faint hint of lime green in it. It was very interesting.. As the huge 3 finger head died down, the color of the beer changed color. It became more and more green. Kind of like the color of your pee after drinking an energy drink. It leaves no lacing but the head on this one actually stuck around for quite some time especially for a Fantome brew.

Smell was mostly of green tea, green apple, and a hint of soy or edamame beans. I can't pick out which it is. Very floral with the nice tart zing at the end like most Fantome saisons have.

Taste is outstanding. I am a big fan of green tea and this beer definitely highlights it. Big green tea leaves with a drying floral finish. That nice Fantome tartness is on the finish as well. Kind of a dried seaweed taste.

Mouthfeel is fairly high in carbonation but it makes this way too easy to drink. My girlfriend is sucking it down like nothing and thats amazing for a beer with a 8% ABV.

This was a really good Saison. Very different from anything I've ever had, but I wish more breweries would try and mimic something like this. Fantome was very adventurous with this beer, but as always, they made it work.

Thanks again Alex.

09-24-2011 04:27:26 | More by DearthVader
tendermorsel

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Thanks Leighton for bringing this to a London tasting.

I had given up on Fantome. Too many swampwater bottles for me in the past. This was a weird but really good beer.

Bright neon green color. Shocking looking in the glass. A bit intimidating to be honest. I love it!

Kiwi's passion fruit and tropical fruits in the nose and very heavy in the flavor. Quite sweet. minimal funky.

This reminded me a ton of the old school HiC Ecto-cooler. Hahaha.

Good stuff and the first fantome I could actually reccomend highly.

11-13-2012 14:47:21 | More by tendermorsel
VWBuggirl

South Carolina

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

A: This is a light, vibrant green with a foamy white head that leaves a nice bit of lacing in the glass.

S: This has a nice amount of citrus, that is followed by a nice bit of tartness.

T: It starts off sweet and finishes with a crisp tartness.

M: The carb is well done. The body really compliments the flavors and is very well balanced.

O: I was shocked by the color of this beer when we first poured it, and initially thought it wouldn't be good and that is was gimmicky. I was pleasantly surprised and feel that it was a great take on the beer, and I expect and enjoy what this brewer does. I would highly recommend it for anyone who can get their hands on a bottle. DELICIOUS!

10-22-2012 00:11:10 | More by VWBuggirl
cbeer88

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Tasted blindly courtesy of Blind BIF #6. I had a wild ride with this one... Note that this bottle was very different from the first time I had Magic Ghost. It wasn't green until the dregs of the bottle, and the flavor was a bit different. I'm chalking it up to typical Fantome bottle variation.

750ml bottle poured into Hill Farmstead Goblet.

Appearance: Pour into glass yields a finger of thin white head. Liquid is a hazy golden yellow, lighter near the edges. Gentle spotted lacing, and the head has relatively nice staying power.

Smell: Very fruity. Apples blend with lemons and other assorted citrus-zest. Tiny bit of funk, but a surprisingly sweet nose.

Taste: More fruit. Apples again take control, but a lot more is going on - lemon, grass, a very earthy malt, some barnyard funk… Slight tinge of tartness here. Tasty Belgian yeast lingers on the palate, demanding you to take the next sip.

Mouthfeel: Moderate to high carb - gentle at first, but more potent bubbles on the back. Thin body. Very refreshing on the palate.

Drinkability: High. ABV is almost non-existent, I'm going to guess 6% or so, but it could be a bit higher.

Overall: A very nice, crisp, and refreshing beer. Would definitely drink again.

01-16-2012 02:16:41 | More by cbeer88
ZombiesAteMyDog

Indiana

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

I shared a bottle with Douglas Miller and Marcus Siu.

A- Mountain Dew? My bottle was neon green… I have read different descriptions of the color, but I could have told someone this was MNT DEW, and they would have believed me. A small head that quickly went away and no there was lacing to speak of.

S- Smelled rather funky and yeasty, smells funkier than it tastes. There are hints of Granny Smith apple and lemon.

T- Unique! Sweet n Sour; I also picked up a slight earthy flavor which I assumed was the alleged addition of spinach. There is a hint of green tea, but it came in more as it warmed. Lambic qualities in this saison...

M- Highly carbonated with a light foamy body. The high carbonation was a present addition to this brew, creating a nice foamy mouth feel. The mouth feel matches the look.

O- The most unusual brew I have ever had. If you find this, it is a no brainer to pick one up. This brew is a great rarity and an example of why I will always pick up a new Fantôme.

01-19-2012 18:45:52 | More by ZombiesAteMyDog
DrewShal9

First of all, I love every offering I've had from Fantome....now to review...
A: key lime body with a pale lime green head. Looks like key lime pie!
S: funky, citrus, hay, slightly earthy, sour apple
T: literally tastes like sour green apple to me! has a funky aftertaste that is delectable and refreshing. Very crisp.
M: champagne like when posted initially. Consistent tiny little bubbles that tickle the tip of your tongue
O: very tasty and very dangerous because the alcohol is hidden so well. I love fantome and definitely recommend this if you want to try a saison!

08-26-2011 06:10:43 | More by DrewShal9
LSUPT

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

750ml bottle from The Avenue Pub, poured to a wine glass.

Hard pour yields a quarter inch head that vanishes quickly leaving no lacing. Medium yellow hue with a slight green tint. Crazy yellow green towards the end of the bottle with some green flecks of sediment.

Very sweet smelling, grass, flowers, honey, green tea and a green vegetable scent that I can't put a finger on. Sour funky and bitter. Flavor is extremely complex. Big lemon lime flavor, actually quite enjoyable, and green tea are the most identifiable flavors. Mouthfeel is amazing. Extremely light and smooth with low carbonation that is hard to describe, somewhat cider-like. Extremely drinkable as well.

Really interesting brew, unlike any saison I've had before but still fantastic and a great interpretation of the style.

09-18-2011 04:02:43 | More by LSUPT
lanbewardin

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

This beer is a trip!
I thought I was buying just a seasonal fantome saison and ended up with this pea green liquid haha.

Looks: Pea green , a bit of off green head, kind of gimmicky, feels like its st patricks day, but I like it.

Smell: grassy, bananas, floral, some cherry maybe

Taste: I can taste the green tea a bit, floral, some cough syrup, sorta sour, I think the green tea is the predominant flavor, been a while since Ive had green tea though,

Mouthfeel: low-medium carbonation, very smooth, very drinkable, surprised that it was 8%, feels much lower

Overall: its very good, Probably will restock this weekend. I prefer a couple other of the fantomes over this, but this is pretty interesting and I would love to have it again.

07-29-2011 17:25:48 | More by lanbewardin
Sanford

Missouri

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Curious. Spinach dust? Initial pour, into tulip, not super aggressive, but not terribly gentle either, brought a smallish white soapy head. I gave a low score for appearance not for the green color of the beer, but because the head disappeared right away, completely. The green beer with the head was interesting and appealing...without the foam, not so much. A quick swirl brings the foam back, but again it doesn't stick in any way. Great herbal fruity musty grassy nose. Supremely sniffable. The flavor follows the nose and is truly compelling. The beer is sweet tart fruity earthy and delicious. Not highly carbonated, somewhat slick, easy drinkin'. Overall, I really like this beer, but I wonder what the point of the "green" is. I was told spinach dust was used, but I can't help but wonder why?

11-13-2011 21:36:19 | More by Sanford
SalMineo

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Great beer from Fantome they really did a great job on this.

I had this beer at Amesbury Alehouse after reading a lot about it online. Being a Fantome fan I had to try this out and see if the beer really looked as Green as they said it would when it poured. Needless to say I wasn't disappointed. It was a murky green with yeast swirling around the glass like a tornado.

The smell definitely had a fruity/funky aroma with apple like smell to it. Pretty complex aroma to it much like most Fantomes have to it.

The taste had was intense than the aroma of the beer. It had the fruit sweetness like apples and honeydew mixed with the tartness and tang. The more I drank the more I enjoyed it.

I have to say however the after effects I was feeling the next morning for a hangover were awful. I didn't feel right for two days after drinking this ale in combination with a few other beers.

03-16-2012 14:40:08 | More by SalMineo
dsgolovin

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

App- Pours with a good amount of carbonation and leaves nice lacing

Smell- Funky saison with green tea

Taste- The green tea really enhanced this saison, rounding out flavors. It's sweet without being cloying. Barnyard, but in a good way. Would be fantastic on a hot day.

Mouthfeel- Well carbonated and goes down easy

Overall- Really enjoyed this beer. Think i'll pick up a few more bottles before it disappears, no pun intended.

07-27-2011 22:33:59 | More by dsgolovin
Moon2Goddess

3.1/5  rDev -25.3%

Color: A murky neon green, like toxic waste or nickelodeon slime. Also reminded me of seaweed and I half expected a swamp monster to slowly emerge from it. Its unusual appearance was quite intriguing.

Head: A bright white short layering of head that for a few moments, morphed the appearance into green jello- with whipped topping.

Aroma: Laughter ensues, gasps and twisted faces as cat nip and skunk attack your senses. Nearly enough to stop you from trying the damn thing.

Texture: Actually quite nice, full bodied, rich and creamy, carbonation is very balanced.

Flavor & Balance: I have to give the brewers kudos for complexity on this one. Initial flavor is powerful-tart, reminiscent of rhubarb and sour apples, there is slight chemical residue that makes you wonder if it really is toxic waste. Aftertaste is grassy, like alfalfa, and stems of dandelions. When the sourness subsides you can detect remnants of green tea and a more sweetened green apple.

Sustained Taste: The aftertaste subdues it to the point that you want to take another drink, and lingers in your mouth for a very long time.

08-07-2011 00:48:20 | More by Moon2Goddess
BullDurham

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my DFH signature glass

Appearance: Olive green, cloudy, nice fluffy 1.5 finger white head which reduces to a nice white cap.

Smell: Wheat, Citrus, Saison yeast.

Taste: Starts off sweet, moves on to tart. Lemon. Bread, a bit of funky saison goodness. Lime? Dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Exactly where I want it. Feels light. Very Dry. Plenty of Carbonation.

Overall: This is a great brew, looks odd and taste great. Unique and very worth seeking out and trying.

10-29-2011 03:40:17 | More by BullDurham
Daemose

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

I've had this beer many times from a bottle.

Appearance: This beer can vary from bottle to bottle in appearance. It is usually anywhere from pale greenish yellow to a dark lime green. Nice white head.

Smell: Tart, minerally, funky, limey, citrus.

Taste: The taste is funky, limey, grassy and refreshing. Green tea is there if you close your eyes and imagine it really hard. The green color has a visual effect that creeps down from your eyes to your tastebuds.

Mouth: Its' light and refreshing, with plenty of carbonation.

Overall: This is a unique beer. I buy it whenever I can, as much as I can. I've only had the opportunity twice. It's always fun to pop open a bottle because you never know what shade of green it is going to be exactly until you open it. A crowd pleaser for sure, and delicious on top of that. One of my top favorite beers, and I'm usually a stout guy.

I don't always drink Saisons, but when I do, I prefer Magic Ghost.

Cue the rimshot.

10-29-2012 07:17:52 | More by Daemose
stubens

South Carolina

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance

Poured into a canadian whiskey glass. Appears a light ecto-plasmic green (maybe from Ghostbusters 2?) with a frothy white head that fades into a lingering lace around the edge of the glass. There’s a slight sediment that rings the bottom that deepens as the beer settles. This could look great in a black-light (anyone from the 60s lurking?)

Smell

Citrusy overtones, with a quick change to tartness (sweet-tarts?).

Taste

There’s a sweet, tartness to the finish flavor of the swig. Clean and crisp, but the tartness fades as the beer warms towards room temperature.

Mouthfeel

There’s a good balance with the carbonation. The body and the flavors match up well.

Overall

It’s one of the more unique beers that I’ve had in recent memory and re-awakens memories from one of the greatest supernatural movies of all time. Definitely worth buying and enjoying if you have the opportunity since it’s a one-off. Enjoy at your first opportunity.

10-06-2012 03:52:32 | More by stubens