Fantôme La Dalmatienne (Dark) - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme La Dalmatienne (Dark)Fantôme La Dalmatienne (Dark)

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

This listing is for the label depicting a black background with white spots.

(Beer added by: Thorpe429 on 11-15-2011)

muttyd, Nov 21, 2011

Rochefort10nh, Nov 26, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +17.1%

Had to move this review, originally had this sometime during the summer of 2011.

750ml shared by the one, the only, cbutova. Always interested in trying a new Fantome and this one blew away my expectations.

Pours a hazy light brown, off-white head retains decently as a cap leaving spots of lacing here and there.

An awesome, totally unique scent. Sweet, funky, spicy lemonade, grassy fields filled with flowers, weird tartness.

The flavor brings similar uniqueness/awesomeness. Pear, apple, lemonade, flowers, lime, some dark fruit, grassy/hay/yeasty notes balance it out. Slight mint?, unidentified spices.

High carbonation, good full mouthfeel, no booze, refreshing.

With Fantome you always get an experience for sure and this is one of the more memorable beers I've had in some time. Hard to picture this as a winter beer, all the tart light fruit and flowers made this perfect for a summer day.

Chico1985, Nov 16, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +15.9%

Originally reviewed 07/31/11, moved over to this profile for obvious reasons.

A mysterious beer, couldn't find much info about this one.

A- Amber-brown body with a fizzy, bubbly head that forms up to a pretty nice size and has decent retention. No lace on the glass once the head fizzes out.

S- A prevalent fruit note that I can't quite name, juicy exotic peach type feel. Citrus fruit, lavender, floral and more fruit notes.

T- Similar to the nose but with more spice and a bit less fruit. The base has a solid Belgian Strong Dark feel. The unnamed fruit, lemon zest, floral lavender, slight hay barnyard, caramel, oak and raisin make for a complex experience.

MF- Fizzy bodied with high, silky carbonation. Some spice bitterness.

A very interesting, unique beer with flavors I have a hard time putting into words. Great fruit with a good Belgian Strong Dark base.

cbutova, Nov 16, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

rob133, Dec 27, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +13.3%

Best before 7-2014

750 mL green glass bottle with cap and cork served around 55 degrees into a goblet.

The Dalmation is unusually dark for the style, more of a redish brown color than a golden yellow. Slightly hazy appearance with fizzy off-white head. It settles slowly but doesn't leave any lacing.

Aroma is really stiking and very enjoyable. There is a distinct cherry smell mixed with apples and plums. It has a little of that sour yeasty funk and spice but it's the fruitiness that makes it truly unique.

The flavor is wonderfully complex yet perfectly balanced. There is sweetness up front, a little fruit like in the aroma, then a big spicy hit of pepper in the middle, and finally a very dry finish. It has layers of nuances that seem to unravel as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel is light in body and well-carbonated. The alcohol is evident but not strong. Great balance but very dry.

Overall another fantastic beer from Fantome. I always hesitate to pay the $15 for their beers but I never regret it once it's in my glass.

GilGarp, Nov 19, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle marked b/J(#3)(hahaha!)/14. I'm betting that this is fairly fresh. Poured at cellar temp into a Founders snifter.

A - Pours a ruby brown with a thick off-white head. Looks good. Thick lacing remains.

S - !!!! Strawberries, raspberries, light background malts. Really just a burst of fruity aromas. Slight hay and Saison spices. I had the aroma higher, but after a few minutes the smell took on a dirty, musty, sandy water aroma.

T - Tart, unnamed fruity malts upfront, then the raspberry comes through. Some of the traditional Saison spices as well as hay appear in the back 1/2. Mild fruity tartness is from start to finish; nothing abrasive, but like a near-ripe strawberry and raspberry coming together. Nearly perfect.

M - Medium, thicker for the style.

O - I was thoroughly impressed. I didn't expect so much fruit, or any fruit, at all. Strawberries take off and then raspberries take over. This reminds me in some ways of their classic Saison. I'd have to do some digging to find who sent this to me, but I'm beyond thankful. Simply amazing, now I need to pour the rest and take the dogs outside on this hot day.

EDIT - Fantome has been known for batch/bottle variation. After reading some reviews below, I'm certain that this is a great example of the variation.

claaark13, Jul 21, 2012
4.35/5  rDev +11.3%

Originally reviewed on 4.11.2010

Poured from a capped 750mL bottle into my tulip glass. The bottle says "Belgian Blond Ale," so I am not sure that this should be called a saison.

When poured with a delicate touch, a big and ample 2-finger head collects atop the caramel coppery body of the beer, even as the beer doesn't reach the convergent/divergent transition in my tulip. Even after the head subsides, a quick swirl recreates the creamy cap that appeared after the pour. Lacing is spritzy and comes in little groups of spotty bubbles.

The aroma is full of brettanomyces funk, but it is unique in my experience, as La Dalmatienne is also characterized by a sweet maltiness in the smell. Sour cherries also come along for the ride. Digging deeper, other fruity esters come through - apricot and pears mainly. There is also, obviously, that barnyard scent that Fantome does so well. The palate brings on a big malty sweetness that is nicely balanced by the bretty funk and slight sourness. The sourness isn't acidic, and is very pleasant. The fruity esters really add a lot to the beer, and they make the malty sweetness find its place nicely.

The mouthfeel is full, but still lightly carbonated, even though there are tons of bubbles that seem to impregnate the entire body. There is a creamy quality to the finish, and the fruity esters and sweetness linger on the palate.

NittanyBeerFan, Nov 16, 2011
4.26/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Burgandy/copper, finger of light pinkish head, dissipates quickly

S - Sour grape, lemon, cranberry, raspberry

T - Initial: Sweet raspberry, grape, lemon. finish is a sour grape, spices, bitter hop level (1/10)

M - real light, light body

O - Very good. Great sweet and sour notes. Dark sour grape is wonderful. do wish it was thicker.

weonfire, Apr 15, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

afsdan, May 29, 2014
4.2/5  rDev +7.4%

This pours a ruddy ruby amber with a thick layer of cotton topping it. The lacing lingers in the glass. Looks amazing.
First impressions are of sweet berries (described as “Hawaiian punch” by one taster), spring berries, with fruity notes evolving as the beer opens up. It’s very fruity on the palate as well, with these sharp cherry and berry notes, finishing dry and tart with a touch of sour.

This is an intriguing, interesting, involving, evolving beer. I enjoyed sharing this with some beer enthusiasts after a day of hard work. Wish I knew who to properly thank for bringing it!

elNopalero, Apr 09, 2012
4.18/5  rDev +6.9%

Ok you Fantôme there. Last time we met, things didn't go so well. There was so much potential, so much anticipation, yet my heart was crushed. I vowed that if we ever were to meet again, it better not hurt. For I sensed so much promise but you let me down. We're gonna try this one more time you and I.

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. Best before July 2014 with a cork in the bottle. Cork pops with LOTS of pressure, WOAH there now, don't be angry at me. I know I didn't get along with you last time but let's be friends now, I am trying again to make this work. I've invested a lot here financially and emotionally in this union don't start off like this ok?!. I notice some slow crawling foam wanting to come out. The bubbles are all nice and pin head sized.

Slow decant, and then some faster down the middle pour produces a light caramel colored and very soapy head, that dissolves quite quickly. Body color is a dark indian red brown a little cloudy, kind of a nice red chestnut, very nice. Soapy collar left. Not that impressive but good enough, ok we're trying here this is a good effort.

This nose is real nice. A mix of small dark rich malt, but light brown spices, cinnamon, light LIGHT brown sugar, classic Belgian candi, orange tangerine and citrus soda, but mostly BIG RAISINS. This is looking promising. VERY promising.

Mild brett funk it seems at first, but never returns, proceeding with a large somewhat thick molasses aftertaste. Mild caramel in the front palate turns to sensing prickly carbonation. Chewy dark fruits of dates, currants, with a light bodied feel, but then a large tannic tongue smashing on the middle and raisin raisin RAISINS come out in abundance. Dancing prickly tongue with an almost watery feel and mild carbonation but no gaseous feeling. No sense of alcohol heat. Warming up quinine becomes more of a flavor to come.

Overall I was real scared to go back to Fantôme there, Belgian "Dark" specifically doesn't always jive for a fav style of mine, but this is something real special, very unique, never tasted anything quite like it. I am glad to see you and I Mr. Casper ghost staring at me so evilly are seeing eye to eye now. I worked real hard to make this relationship work you know. Glad to see your true colors and that I don't have to fight like this so much again, you're not exactly cheap where I live either. I would really love to try the light I guess Blonde version of this. We will meet again in earnest. Adieu.

smakawhat, Nov 17, 2011
4.18/5  rDev +6.9%

A: Pours a murky, ruddy amber with a thick off-white head.

S: Huge fruity aromas are present on the nose. There's definitely plenty of cider apple and spiced pear here. As the beer settles down a bit, I get scents of caramel, raisin, dates, figs, currants, blueberry, and elderberry. There's also a slight musty earthiness on the nose that keeps the fruit from being overpowering.

T: Surprisingly soft on the palate with blueberry, elderberry, currant, fig, date, raisin, caramel, oak, spiced pear, and cider apple flavors. Around mid-palate, must, lactic yeast, papaya, passion fruit, and pineapple flavors kick in and deliver, as an earlier reviewer so astutely put it, a tropical punch-like flavor. The finish is sweet and mildly yeasty with notes of blueberry, currant, date, and fig blending with oak, lactic yeast, and pineapple notes.

M: Medium-bodied, very dry, and acidic. Carbonation is gentler than one would expect. Alcohol is pretty pronounced.

O: This is an excellent saison. Like all of Brasserie Fantome's beers, it is unique, a beer that is hard to compare to any others of its style. Definitely worth seeking out and savoring.

mrfrancis, Jul 10, 2012
4.1/5  rDev +4.9%

750mL bottle, capped but not corked, bought 2 months ago at City Beverage for $15.39. I've been sorta saving it, and then last night I heard that Dany Prignon might be closing Fantome. Hopefully just propaganda, but it got Fantome in my head and here I am.

Nothing on the bottle to describe what went into this beer, just the standard Fantome "regular" saison descriptions on the label. Shooting blind, here goes. The beer is dark reddish copper, more red than other Fantome saisons, with some good sized floating yeasty chunks. The aroma is very one-of-a-kind, not the normal Fantome funk but rather kinda fruity. It smells a lot like some sweet-tart like candy I had as a kid, I can't quite place it, but the general adjectives would be chalky and fruity-sweet. A little bit of wood, cedar or redwood) and leather, but mainly sweet tart candy.

This tastes really sweet, sweet malts and esters with just a little tartness and chalk in the aftertaste. The overall result is flavorful and tasty, but not really as good as the regular Fantome, Printemps, Hiver, and Automne. I guess I just like my Fantomes more funky.

Medium body, no noticeable alcohol, goes down like liquid candy. Which it might in fact have, it seems sweeter than just malts alone would make it, probably there's candi sugar in this beer too. Very good, but I'm not too sad that this one is somewhat rare. As long as Dany stays open and makes the regular Fantome I'll be happy.

EDIT: I just got a beermail from Dany indicating that he has no plans to stop brewing. It was just a rumor, thank God.

TurdFurgison, Nov 15, 2011
4.09/5  rDev +4.6%

Best before July 2014. 1 pint 9.4 fl oz green glass bottle with pressure cap sealed over an internally housed acquired at a nearby bottle shop for $22.00 (about $7.00 more than I usually pay for Fantome in SoCal) and served into a New Belgium stem-goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Expectations are through the roof as I usually love Fantome.

Imported by the Shelton Bastards. No wonder it's so pricey. 8% ABV confirmed.

Served following a warming period following its removal from the refrigerator. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a three finger light khaki colour head of great cream, brilliant froth, fantastic thickness, and incredible retention for the 8% ABV (~8+ minutes). Quite impressive. The body colour is a vibrant if understated caramel amber-brown. (Mahogany for the pretentious). Nontransparent and opaque. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Very appealing for a saison. I'm getting excited.

Sm: Holy shit that's fantastic. Bright evocative fruits and fermented sugars. Cream, brown sugar, ripe cherries and berries, spicy biscuity yeast, raisin, light vine, caramel, candi sugar, and more of that luxurious fermented fruit. I can't pin down exactly which fruits, but it's not the dark fruit of a quad or dubbel. Definitely rich raspberry. Heavy biscuit malt, with some other perfectly selected grains there as well. It's exquisite. Perfect. I can't imagine it being any better. I cannot wait to try this. The best aroma I've experienced in probably the last six months. Strong, rich, and luxurious. Possess incredible elegance, subtlety, and complexity.

No alcohol is detectable.

T: Raisin, bright evocative rich berries, biscuity spicy perfect yeasty notes, vinous character, brown sugar, a biscuit malt foundation, perfect caramelization, and grainy depth. Evokes dried fruit. Dessert wine character is subtle on the fringe. Lactose. Light fruit tartness. White pepper - a requisite note in any great saison. I don't know what gives it its tart complexity and spiciness; it could be seeds, earthy specialty grains, or obscure spices. All I know is the result is incredible. Light earthiness buried beneath the spiced malts. Light floral hops. Strawberry, maybe? Fig and dates. Currants. Oaky tones. Pear. Spicy green apple. The complexity and depth of flavour is staggering. Brilliant subtlety too. I love the fruit and yeasty notes. Nectary. Balance is near perfect.

Mf: Creamy, coarse, tingly, and wet. Smooth up front to welcome you in. Feels custom-tailored to the flavour profile. Very well executed. Perfect carbonation. Ideal palate presence, allowing all the subtlety to come through.

Dr: Extremely drinkable for the high ABV - which never comes through in the flavours. A home run from Fantome. Perhaps the best saison I've ever had. I'll have no trouble finishing this bottle by myself. Worth the $22 I paid for it. The best beer I've had from Fantome to date. Pick up a few bottles for the cellar; this one comes highly recommended.

Lowish A-

kojevergas, Jan 19, 2013
4.08/5  rDev +4.3%

750 ml bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - a gorgeous copper brown body with three fingers of foamy vanilla colored head that lingers real well and laces the glass beautifully.

S - notes of grain, caramel, yeast and a whole bunch of spices/herbs in the back. a good inviting nose.

T - theres some sweet malts up front grain and cracker notes followed by a nice citrus bite in the back which leads into just spice/herb bittering madness. its damn good. noticing a bit of a molasses after taste as well.

M - closer to medium bodied than most saisons as this is a winter brew. it seems almost coarse on the tongue. lots of bubbly carbonation in there as well.

O - this is a superb saison and quite glad i made the detour this past weekend to pick it up.

celticfutblclub, Jan 19, 2012
4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

Served out of a Fantome tulip because I am seriously the man side by side with the other dalmatian beer.

This one is dark, cause the spots on the dog are dark, brown with a thin head of off white / tan bubbles, minimal lacing, low retention.

Aroma is sweet, bready, mild roast, a little bitterness from a chocolate like substance?

Beer is a little spicy, tea like with a earthiness you can get from leaves or herbs, mild chocolate flavor and bitterness, mostly a sweet beer, good bodied, nice finish, decent.

drabmuh, Nov 22, 2011

Poured from a 750ml into my Stone IRS tulip. (Dated Best Before July, 2014). Pours a slightly hazy amber color (not what I was expecting) and about 3/4 finger of off-white head. A whole bunch of persistent little bubbles keep rising to keep the film alive. Laces very nicely. Really interesting smells going on. A slight sulphur and skunk smell up front. Then there's a really interesting funkiness (much like a Flanders red). A little sweet and sour sauce action up my nose. Tart cherry. On the palate, very unique. Maybe some bell pepper/cucumber/apple combination. Grassy. Very very bitter finish. It lingers for a long while and seems to grow almost to an unpleasant level. Almost like chewing on grapefruit pith. Very different. Mouthfeel is very drying, prickly bubbles. Incredibly unique beer. Glad I got to try this one.

WestValleyIPA, Nov 16, 2011

XicanoBeerRun, Apr 12, 2012

nathanjohnson, Feb 27, 2012

nmann08, Feb 07, 2012

chippo33, Dec 21, 2012

monitorpop, Sep 01, 2014

Bottle pour from Wowcoolman’s tasting.

Pours a murky dark orange with a foamy tan head that settles to a small cap on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grain, fruit, spices, yeast, and some floral aromas. Taste is much the same with a mild spice bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer with some nice aromas and flavors.

UCLABrewN84, Aug 28, 2012