Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - Hiver - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - HiverFantôme Saison D'Erezée - Hiver

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 02-19-2003)
random846

1.25/5  rDev -68.4%

07-16-2014 02:57:40 | More by SitkaSteve
jtmartino

1.3/5  rDev -67.2%

Wow, by far the worst Fantome beer I've ever had, and easily the worst version of Hiver yet. Unfortunately its current rating may be accurate for previous iterations, just not the current recipe.

It literally tastes like someone put out their cigar in a saison. If you've ever chewed raw tobacco, and enjoyed it, this would be your drink. Appearance is decent, and so is mouthfeel, but overall this beer is like a hybrid between chewing tobacco and a tart dark saison.

I can appreciate dark/black saisons, but the tart acidity of this beer does not mesh well with the smokey malt flavor at all. Easily one of the worst beers I've had, ever. I would rather drink a room temperature Corona without the lime.

12-15-2012 06:43:37 | More by jtmartino
Verecund

1.5/5  rDev -62.1%

05-23-2013 02:02:48 | More by Verecund
jtladner

District of Columbia

1.54/5  rDev -61.1%

I was really excited to try this beer, it was my first (and currently only) Fantome. The beer looked great, but unfortunately I seem to have gotten one of the skunked bottles that I have seen many people post about. Both the aroma and the taste were completely dominated by something that I can best describe as burning tires.

At first I though that maybe it was meant to be a kind of smokey saison, but after reading other reviews it is clear that this is not the case. Even if the taste had been intentional (which I am pretty sure it wasn't), it was not pleasant at all and most of it ended up going down the drain.

05-19-2013 18:01:00 | More by jtladner
MinorThreat

Nebraska

1.54/5  rDev -61.1%

Served from a cork and cap bottle. This is the second bottle I have had from this batch; I wanted to give it a second chance after being very disappointed with the first bottle.

A-Hazy light rusty gold color with an impressive froathy head and great retention/lacing. This was the best part of this beer by a long shot.

S-Odd notes of rubber, grass, burnt hair and herbal hop notes. Very odd and off putting.

T- Atrocious. Burning rubber and solvent nail polish remover/alcohol. Chemical, harsh, and just dreadful. I have really enjoyed this one in the past but this batch is a disaster.

M-It honestly is so hard to get past the taste that the mouthfeel is hard to say. Oily yet effervescent and light.

O-Sadly I dropped 17.99ea on two of the worst bottles in recent memory. Will I give Fantome another chance? Of course. They have made so many great beers that it should be chalked up as an aberration. With that said, I will not be purchasing and Hiver till I am certain that the current batch is long gone.

04-20-2013 20:00:00 | More by MinorThreat
BierGartenok

Oklahoma

1.63/5  rDev -58.8%

2012 Vintage 750ML Bottle poured into freshly rinsed tulip.

Aroma
Gasoline, Oil, burnt matches and manure. Malt aroma is hidden beneath the phenolic gasoline, I am changing my oil smell and fusel alcohol. Little to no hop aroma is evident. There is a big plastic band-aid aroma between the gas/oil fragrance. There is also a manure aroma slightly evident at the end of the olfactory aroma emanation. Some burnt tire smoke and kerosene. No diacetyl.

Appearence
Pour is dark yellow/straw in color with a slight cloudiness. Head retention is moderate and dissipates quickly to a thin strip of creamy off-white/tan bubbles that cling tightly to the glass and each other. Decent "legs" are noticeable as you swril.

Flavor
There is a light malt sweetness followed by a slight hop bitterness noticeable at the first sip. Oil, gasoline and burnt match take hold from the middle all the way through the finish. Fermentation appears complete and yeast fully attenuated. Alcohol warmth is minimal, but well hidden behind the onslaught of fossil fuel phenols and plastic trash bags. The finish is dry and bitter. Balance is towards malt/phenols. This flavor sticks with you and is relentless in its attack of your senses.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied with moderate to high carbonation and hop bitterness. Alcohol warmth is minimal. Coarse and slightly astringent on the tongue and all the way to the finish. There is a light "slickiness" although this is not diacetyl, more of a "oil slick."

Overall Impression
There really isn't much to say about this brew. Although it could be a specialty ale, I feel that the fossil fuel phenols distract from the entire drinking process. From the beginning to the end, this is a beer that is just either confused or purposely wrong. Could this be a bad batch or bottle? Hopefully that is the case. I will revisit from a different case/bottle and update the review as needed.

***Update***
I tried this brew again two different times from 2 different cases and the result was the same. I am very off-put by this beer. I am a huge fan of Fantome and by no means wanted at all to give this beer a poor review. I was as honest as I could be and tried numerous times to find an answer, but to no avail. If someone has input on this beer, please feel free to BM me anytime! Thanks!

11-28-2012 05:02:03 | More by BierGartenok
DCgolfpro

Maryland

1.75/5  rDev -55.8%

06-10-2013 01:59:01 | More by DCgolfpro
harrymel

Washington

1.83/5  rDev -53.8%

A second go at it. Vint 2013 (prolly)

This is murky and light amber with a solid quilt of toasted cream foam. Smells primarily of skunk and bandaids. Then some soil, hay, clay, shit and leather. Flavor is plastic, bandaid, bitter, well, quite frankly this beer is shit, and tastes like a tack store with manure to boot. Medium bodied with moderate carb and of dry. A really shitty beer.

Reviewed 09/2012
Vint 2012(?) 3.5/3.5/3.5/3/3 - 3.35
Pours amber with diaphany and a solid white surface character. Nose with vanilla, sweet grain I get from most Fantome’s, and plenty of pepper and clay; also a surprsingly skunked character. Sweet flavor with the pepper tones and a sweet grainy character and some clay flavor. Full, over full body with not only a full body (poor for this style) and hi carb and a semi dry finish. Not that intriguing, not that great (at least for what the hunt requires in my life)

09-19-2013 06:57:04 | More by harrymel

12-07-2013 08:24:01 | More by sharpski
scottfrie

2.09/5  rDev -47.2%

750ml into snifter.

A: Pours a deep honey color with a fluffy, huge, whipped egg-white head that very slowly faded into a fuzzy and thick collar.
S: Meaty, savory, smoke fills my nose. I get notes of band aids and maybe a hint of mild lemon and caramel beneath.
T: Dirty dish water, peat, sour old grains, boiled meat, and faint citrus. The finish has a terrible sourness, and the aftertaste is peppery and full of grain.
M: Medium-full body, fluffy carbonation, muddy, sour, greasy mouthfeel.
O: Bad bottles are bad. I've heard of these smoke bombs but haven't encountered one yet. Very disappointing. I will have to revisit this again with hopefully a good bottle as I am not getting any of the flavors other reviewers are describing.

07-05-2014 18:08:22 | More by scottfrie
DudMan

2.25/5  rDev -43.2%

05-31-2013 21:30:58 | More by DudMan
kojevergas

2.41/5  rDev -39.1%

Huge Fantome fan so I was excited to bring this one out from the fridge. 1 pint 9.4 fl oz green glass bottle with standard pressure cap over an internally housed cork served into a New Belgium stem-goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Acquired for around $15 at Hi Time Wine Cellars. Expectations are through the roof given the brewery, which I respect and admire.

8.00% ABV confirmed. I like the label; that sort of cute humour surrounding a mischievous ghost.

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Cork popped with ease. No beer surged out. Carbonation seems ideal. It's a fun bottle to open.

A: Colour is a clear white wine/peach as I pour. In the glass, the colour is a darker hazy yellow, semitransparent and translucent. Yeast particles are easily seen floating about. Head is a three finger beige colour delight, featuring good cream and thickness and excellent (8+ minute) retention for the high ABV. Not quite the milky white I see in some of the best saisons, but very appealing. Looks as it should for the style. No bubble show.

Sm: Butterscotch, caramel, lemongrass, light lemon zest, gose-esque salt, light tart lactic peach notes, bretts, banana, white wine/white grapes, pear, and heavy Belgian sugar/candi notes. A bit like one of those caramel popsicles you'd get at a fair. I get more and more depth of flavour as it warms. Bretts. I search for white pepper (my favourite characteristic of saisons) but don't find it. Perhaps it's subtly integrated. In any case, I'm not disappointed; with Fantome I always know I'm in good hands. A moderate strength aroma of masterful subtlety and complexity. No alcohol is detectable.

T: Salt, lemon zest, banana, milky caramel, fermented pear, dominant lactic bretty yeast notes, and vague white wine/grapes. Belgian sugar as the foundation here actually comes off a bit overwhelming, blocking out the intricacies of the more subtle notes. I don't find white pepper. Butterscotch comes through; too much for my tastes. The salt was unexpected but works here. The balance just doesn't feel as masterful as it did in other Fantome saisons I've had. It could well be personal taste. Hopping here is floral and minimal; the spices take the spotlight not the hops. And rightly so. The climax is more of that juicy pear zest joined with the lactic notes; I don't much care for it. Maybe it's a bit too sweet, as generic as that sounds? The caramel certainly bothers me. The complexity and subtlety here are unquestionable, but I'm just not big on this beer. No alcohol comes through in the flavour.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Good body. Perfect carbonation. Good thickness. A bit sticky. Soft. Suits the flavours pretty well. I could see how someone who enjoyed the flavour profile would find the mouthfeel very helpful in delivering those flavours.

Dr: Unfortunately, this Fantome just wasn't for me. It's not as drinkable as most Fantomes because of the light saltiness (and for me personally because I don't really care for the flavours), but if you enjoyed it I'm sure you'd have no trouble putting it down. It hides its ABV well. I wouldn't buy this one again; there are quite a few Fantome saisons at this exact price that I love. I adore Fantome, but I just didn't take to this one.

D+