Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - Hiver - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - HiverFantôme Saison D'Erezée - Hiver

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 02-19-2003

1.32/5  rDev -66.9%

Wow, by far the worst Fantome beer I've ever had, and easily the worst version of Hiver yet. Unfortunately its current rating may be accurate for previous iterations, just not the current recipe.

It literally tastes like someone put out their cigar in a saison. If you've ever chewed raw tobacco, and enjoyed it, this would be your drink. Appearance is decent, and so is mouthfeel, but overall this beer is like a hybrid between chewing tobacco and a tart dark saison.

I can appreciate dark/black saisons, but the tart acidity of this beer does not mesh well with the smokey malt flavor at all. Easily one of the worst beers I've had, ever. I would rather drink a room temperature Corona without the lime.

1.57/5  rDev -60.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 1.5

I was really excited to try this beer, it was my first (and currently only) Fantome. The beer looked great, but unfortunately I seem to have gotten one of the skunked bottles that I have seen many people post about. Both the aroma and the taste were completely dominated by something that I can best describe as burning tires.

At first I though that maybe it was meant to be a kind of smokey saison, but after reading other reviews it is clear that this is not the case. Even if the taste had been intentional (which I am pretty sure it wasn't), it was not pleasant at all and most of it ended up going down the drain.

1.58/5  rDev -60.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 1.5

Served from a cork and cap bottle. This is the second bottle I have had from this batch; I wanted to give it a second chance after being very disappointed with the first bottle.

A-Hazy light rusty gold color with an impressive froathy head and great retention/lacing. This was the best part of this beer by a long shot.

S-Odd notes of rubber, grass, burnt hair and herbal hop notes. Very odd and off putting.

T- Atrocious. Burning rubber and solvent nail polish remover/alcohol. Chemical, harsh, and just dreadful. I have really enjoyed this one in the past but this batch is a disaster.

M-It honestly is so hard to get past the taste that the mouthfeel is hard to say. Oily yet effervescent and light.

O-Sadly I dropped 17.99ea on two of the worst bottles in recent memory. Will I give Fantome another chance? Of course. They have made so many great beers that it should be chalked up as an aberration. With that said, I will not be purchasing and Hiver till I am certain that the current batch is long gone.

1.62/5  rDev -59.4%

2012 Vintage 750ML Bottle poured into freshly rinsed tulip.

Gasoline, Oil, burnt matches and manure. Malt aroma is hidden beneath the phenolic gasoline, I am changing my oil smell and fusel alcohol. Little to no hop aroma is evident. There is a big plastic band-aid aroma between the gas/oil fragrance. There is also a manure aroma slightly evident at the end of the olfactory aroma emanation. Some burnt tire smoke and kerosene. No diacetyl.

Pour is dark yellow/straw in color with a slight cloudiness. Head retention is moderate and dissipates quickly to a thin strip of creamy off-white/tan bubbles that cling tightly to the glass and each other. Decent "legs" are noticeable as you swril.

There is a light malt sweetness followed by a slight hop bitterness noticeable at the first sip. Oil, gasoline and burnt match take hold from the middle all the way through the finish. Fermentation appears complete and yeast fully attenuated. Alcohol warmth is minimal, but well hidden behind the onslaught of fossil fuel phenols and plastic trash bags. The finish is dry and bitter. Balance is towards malt/phenols. This flavor sticks with you and is relentless in its attack of your senses.

Medium bodied with moderate to high carbonation and hop bitterness. Alcohol warmth is minimal. Coarse and slightly astringent on the tongue and all the way to the finish. There is a light "slickiness" although this is not diacetyl, more of a "oil slick."

Overall Impression
There really isn't much to say about this brew. Although it could be a specialty ale, I feel that the fossil fuel phenols distract from the entire drinking process. From the beginning to the end, this is a beer that is just either confused or purposely wrong. Could this be a bad batch or bottle? Hopefully that is the case. I will revisit from a different case/bottle and update the review as needed.

I tried this brew again two different times from 2 different cases and the result was the same. I am very off-put by this beer. I am a huge fan of Fantome and by no means wanted at all to give this beer a poor review. I was as honest as I could be and tried numerous times to find an answer, but to no avail. If someone has input on this beer, please feel free to BM me anytime! Thanks!

1.86/5  rDev -53.4%

A second go at it. Vint 2013 (prolly)

This is murky and light amber with a solid quilt of toasted cream foam. Smells primarily of skunk and bandaids. Then some soil, hay, clay, shit and leather. Flavor is plastic, bandaid, bitter, well, quite frankly this beer is shit, and tastes like a tack store with manure to boot. Medium bodied with moderate carb and of dry. A really shitty beer.

Reviewed 09/2012
Vint 2012(?) 3.5/3.5/3.5/3/3 - 3.35
Pours amber with diaphany and a solid white surface character. Nose with vanilla, sweet grain I get from most Fantome’s, and plenty of pepper and clay; also a surprsingly skunked character. Sweet flavor with the pepper tones and a sweet grainy character and some clay flavor. Full, over full body with not only a full body (poor for this style) and hi carb and a semi dry finish. Not that intriguing, not that great (at least for what the hunt requires in my life)

2.09/5  rDev -47.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

750ml into snifter.

A: Pours a deep honey color with a fluffy, huge, whipped egg-white head that very slowly faded into a fuzzy and thick collar.
S: Meaty, savory, smoke fills my nose. I get notes of band aids and maybe a hint of mild lemon and caramel beneath.
T: Dirty dish water, peat, sour old grains, boiled meat, and faint citrus. The finish has a terrible sourness, and the aftertaste is peppery and full of grain.
M: Medium-full body, fluffy carbonation, muddy, sour, greasy mouthfeel.
O: Bad bottles are bad. I've heard of these smoke bombs but haven't encountered one yet. Very disappointing. I will have to revisit this again with hopefully a good bottle as I am not getting any of the flavors other reviewers are describing.

2.11/5  rDev -47.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.75

Pours out hazy orange with a big overflowing head and lots of bubbles. Smells of blue cheese and smoke. Taste has an odd bitterness with smoke and funky cheese. Body is light and effervescent. Infection?

2.51/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2

Huge Fantome fan so I was excited to bring this one out from the fridge. 1 pint 9.4 fl oz green glass bottle with standard pressure cap over an internally housed cork served into a New Belgium stem-goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Acquired for around $15 at Hi Time Wine Cellars. Expectations are through the roof given the brewery, which I respect and admire.

8.00% ABV confirmed. I like the label; that sort of cute humour surrounding a mischievous ghost.

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Cork popped with ease. No beer surged out. Carbonation seems ideal. It's a fun bottle to open.

A: Colour is a clear white wine/peach as I pour. In the glass, the colour is a darker hazy yellow, semitransparent and translucent. Yeast particles are easily seen floating about. Head is a three finger beige colour delight, featuring good cream and thickness and excellent (8+ minute) retention for the high ABV. Not quite the milky white I see in some of the best saisons, but very appealing. Looks as it should for the style. No bubble show.

Sm: Butterscotch, caramel, lemongrass, light lemon zest, gose-esque salt, light tart lactic peach notes, bretts, banana, white wine/white grapes, pear, and heavy Belgian sugar/candi notes. A bit like one of those caramel popsicles you'd get at a fair. I get more and more depth of flavour as it warms. Bretts. I search for white pepper (my favourite characteristic of saisons) but don't find it. Perhaps it's subtly integrated. In any case, I'm not disappointed; with Fantome I always know I'm in good hands. A moderate strength aroma of masterful subtlety and complexity. No alcohol is detectable.

T: Salt, lemon zest, banana, milky caramel, fermented pear, dominant lactic bretty yeast notes, and vague white wine/grapes. Belgian sugar as the foundation here actually comes off a bit overwhelming, blocking out the intricacies of the more subtle notes. I don't find white pepper. Butterscotch comes through; too much for my tastes. The salt was unexpected but works here. The balance just doesn't feel as masterful as it did in other Fantome saisons I've had. It could well be personal taste. Hopping here is floral and minimal; the spices take the spotlight not the hops. And rightly so. The climax is more of that juicy pear zest joined with the lactic notes; I don't much care for it. Maybe it's a bit too sweet, as generic as that sounds? The caramel certainly bothers me. The complexity and subtlety here are unquestionable, but I'm just not big on this beer. No alcohol comes through in the flavour.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Good body. Perfect carbonation. Good thickness. A bit sticky. Soft. Suits the flavours pretty well. I could see how someone who enjoyed the flavour profile would find the mouthfeel very helpful in delivering those flavours.

Dr: Unfortunately, this Fantome just wasn't for me. It's not as drinkable as most Fantomes because of the light saltiness (and for me personally because I don't really care for the flavours), but if you enjoyed it I'm sure you'd have no trouble putting it down. It hides its ABV well. I wouldn't buy this one again; there are quite a few Fantome saisons at this exact price that I love. I adore Fantome, but I just didn't take to this one.

2.52/5  rDev -36.8%

Very Brett-forward and one-dimensional. This has to be infected. Having read some reviews that mention smoke and Band-Aid notes, I get none of that. I also get none of complexities mentioned in favorable reviews.

Bronze colored, quite dark for the style, a head of about two fingers of foam. Tart aroma with acetic quality. Flavor is tart and one-dimensional, like a mediocre wild ale. This was my first shot at Fantome, and I knew the risks. Consider me another victim of their quality control issues.

2.65/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

First I have to admit is this isn't my style I find enjoyable. This definitely reminds me of a white wine beer. Smells very fruity and bitter and taste exactly how it tastes. Although i will say it is smooth and leaves minimal aftertaste which i guess if you like this class would be a big plus. Basically if you don't like white wine, like I don't, then you won't like this.

2.68/5  rDev -32.8%

While I understand the saison/farmhouse ale style is a mile-wide, this beer struck me as having pretty significant similarities to a barley-wine, although not a great one. It has an intensely malty flavor and lots of alcohol esters, but I didn’t really enjoy it.

This beer poured a rather unimpressive hazy orange brown with a soapy head. The beer had little to no aroma to speak of. The flavor reminded me a great deal of barley-wine like flavor in that it had a slightly sweet malty, alcohol ester-y, astringency to it with some intensity. However, mouthfeel was thin and I wasn’t really all that taken with the beer overall.

Not recommended.

2.76/5  rDev -30.8%

Capped-and-corked 750ml bottle bought in Portland. I think it cost something like $14. Split into our pair of Fantome tulips and shared with my wife TulipSnifter.

A: Cantaloupe with great clarity. A finger of bone white head recedes to nothing, but one of the liveliest beers I've seen yet quickly builds up a thick glass ring that maintains through the drink. 5/5

S: Lemongrass, honeydew, flowers, and some herbs. 4/5

T: A bit of a let down from the smell. A sour saison to be sure, but nothing special. Pithy citrus, bananas, and watermelon rind sum it up, but complexity beyond the fruits isn't delivered. 2/5

M: A little sticky and a little gummy. I wish it was a little drier. Champagne type carbonation is fun though. 3/5

O: Not my favorite Fantome by far. This bottle was too boring and sweet for my taste. 2/5

2.8/5  rDev -29.8%

A: Quarter inch of sediment in bottom of this green bottle. Pours a yellow orange. Looks incredibly thick like a stout and not like a saison. Nice head.

S: tart, sour, fruity, based on the appearance and smell I want to sink my teeth into it.

T: The smell was deceiving. It tastes nothing like the smell. I feel the alcohol up front, and frankly it is too strong. This reminds me of bad tequila. It has a peppery after burn redolent of tequila. Pipe tobacco.

M: This had a lot of cloudy yeast floating around in it, but this did not impact the mouth feel too much. It did not come across as overly thick or gritty and the carbonation was pleasant.

This is the third Fantome I have had, and of the three it is my least favorite. I appreciate experimentation in beers and love finding new flavors in traditional styles of beer. However, this was not pleasant. It is my understanding that this is their winter beer. I just picked up the bottle so maybe this is old and from last winter, which impacted the taste. In any case, I have been real disappointed with Fantome. For the price, there are numerous other saisons you can try.

2.93/5  rDev -26.6%

I'm usually a big fan of Fantome, but this was was a bit too much for me handle.

It poured an attractive Garnet/Rust color with little to no head. lacing is light. The inviting color was the best thing about the beer IMHO.

The smells were of orange rind and pine with a hint of tea. It's not a wholly unpleasant smell, just not too appetizing to me.

Tastes of unsweetened tea with some citrus. There are some spices in there, but they are hard for me to pick out. . . pepper?

All this aside, I still find myself enjoying it. I guess that's part of the magic of Fantome. I still wouldn't say it is highly drinkable.

I'll try it again next year.

Bottle: Poured a dirty dark yellow color ale with a small foamy head with minimal retention. Aroma of weird spice mix with some strong Saaz hops. Taste is incredibly dry probably from the mix of spices and hops but doesn’t really excite my taste buds. Body is about average and carbonation is quite low. Not bad but just doesn’t provide the magic that I usually find in Fantome beers.

3.16/5  rDev -20.8%

Pours out a really clear weak ice tea color with one finger or less of white suds.
Smell is kinda strange. Almost smells like a Heiny but surely not. I am not getting the spices one might think should be here.
Taste is creamy malt and black bitterness. No sugar here.
Mabey this is a bad bottle but the mouthfeel seems quite clean. No aftertaste though and I am not belching any spice at all.
This isn't very good at all.

3.25/5  rDev -18.5%

A: Pours a hazy orange color. At first a one finger white head forms, but recedes in a second. Very light lace.
S: Musky, dank malt. Light funky yeast an fruity esters. Mostly a lemon/grassy aroma.
T: A musky, dank, and metallic flavor. Light funk and fruity esters again.
M/D: A medium body that is a little under carbonated. Not hard to drink. Something to sip on.

Not bad, a little underwhelming. Probably a one time purchase for me though. Fairly average for the style.

3.26/5  rDev -18.3%

Bottle. Pours a cloudy yellow gold color with some floaties. Nice white fluffy head. Skunky aroma wafting from the glass. Wheaty. Slighlty sweet, spice, banana, and clove. Slight medicinal notes as well. Some lace. Light/medium mouthfeel. Pretty easy drinking. It decent but nothing that stands out.

3.27/5  rDev -18%

We have been through a lot you and me Mr. Hiver. I am just realizing that this is a bitter irony that this is the 2 year anniversary of you and me dancing again. We're throwing you into a tulip glass. I hope you are on your A game just like Extra Special Sour and Dalmatiene.

A real looker as I remember, and finally a head that stays. Clumpy and rock hard, bright white with swiss cheese like character. Body is a classic peach orange amber with a slow rising column of fire going up the middle. Yup this looks great, nearly perfect.

Nose though is much different. Huge phenolic band aid and medicinal smelling. Hints of novocaine. Ok this is nothing like how I remember this, but this smells like a trip to the dentists office. Some powdery ash, and malt sweetness just hides behind.

Taste though is at least tolerable. A very big juicy palate, Rauchbier like smoke wood which really appeals to me. Juicy palate really hits on the finish hard and lingers. Hop blast somewhat and hits of smoke keep coming. This is like a smoky saison or something, it's kind of fascinating. Mouthwatering mild fruit in the middle, and a very sharp pith like bitterness in the finish.

Overall this is a real different experience than I remember, and quite a fascinating beer. It has that rauchbier sense but it's too medicinal. If it was somehow under control then I would absolutely devour this with pleasure since Rauchbier is one of my all time fav styles. I have to be in the right mood for this. It's very jarring, but has elements that I absolutely love, I just wish all the pieces were in the right place.

--- Previous review 11-24-2010 ---

Purchased and poured into a chalice type glass.

(4) The appearance of this beer is probably the best thing, in fact I would give it 5 stars if the head on this thing didn't die and dissolve in 3 seconds flat. Leaves a minimal lace but is pock marked quickly. The color on this is absolutely gorgeous, at first looking more peach and apricot on the pour and then turning into the perfect example of opaque cloudy grapefruit juice. The head though dies instantly and this to me always means trouble and usually disappointment. It is too bad, if the head had some staying power this would have been the best looking beer I have ever seen.

(2) Smell. Now this is where things start going downhill. Fermented orange juice with a faint wood component almost of tree bark. Skunk. Carbon dioxized air and "some" yeast.

(2) Taste is where it gets into a dead beer composing and masquerading as fermented bad orange or grapefruit juice. It's almost tasting a bad mimosa made with cheap stale champagne.

(2) Mouthfeel is nonexistent and watery, nearly NO finish of any texture but more of the citrus watery taste leaving in your mouth of weak orange juice. Watered down citrus fruit juice.

(2) I Don't get it. Sure Saisons are different and the Urthel was at least enjoyable and drinkable, heck even so was Saison Du Pont as much as I didn't care for that but this is just a giant question mark. Drinkability is highly influenced on all these factors but also on price. This beer is NOT cheap and I would try it again ironically just to see if I had a bad bottle, but somehow I doubt it. Problem is I will never try this again with my own money it's just not worth it. So unless you are a big Saison fan steer clear of this thing by a country mile.

3.35/5  rDev -16%

A: Pours a hazy golden with yeast dancing around. About 1 finger of fluffy white head dissipates quickly. Light carbonation.

N: The nose is primarily musty and earthy with hints of apple, pear, lemony citrus and pepper.

T: Big apple and pear notes upfront along with lemon zest and earth. This is followed by light grains and a mild funk. Finishes with a mix of coriander and peppercorn spices.

M: Light-medium bodied, smooth and dry.

O: A decent Saison but I'm not overly impressed. Belgian funk seems to be lacking a bit. Pear, apple and lemon notes are fantastic. Subtle spices in the finish are done well.

3.35/5  rDev -16%

A: Ruby-gold, with a faint head.

S: Sour apples, tart mixed berries, notes of citrus.

T: Certainly is interesting, tart cherries, sour apples, bitter citrus hops. Faint honey sweetness to round out, but makes you pucker, very enjoyable.

M: Kind of thin, lower carbonation.

D: High ABV, but to be honest, I ended up drain pouring a decent amount of it...because nobody else would drink it with me.

3.37/5  rDev -15.5%

A: Honey orange colored with no head. Hazy. What looks like no carbonation. Uh oh.

S: Funky orange, black pepper, Belgian spice

T/M: Orange citrus. Nice tartness to it. Not sour, but pleasant. Mouthfeel is a little syrup-like. There is just no carbonation in this thing, which is a major negative in my opinion. Why does any brewer create something with no carbonation? I see it so often that it can't just be me getting bad bottles. I don't understand it. The mouthfeel (and beer overall) is also improved with some carbonation.

D: A little difficult.

The regular Fantome saison is one of the world's great beers, but this is just barely above average

3.39/5  rDev -15%

Sour! Holy Moses this makes my mouth pucker.

Strong-willed carbonation. Cork pops off like a dress on prom night. Racing head with impressively iridescent gingerbread to brown hues. Smells of bristlecone piney hops, must, dank dark dampness, earth, and oak leaves. Tastes slightly citrusy and heavily of rotten fruit, mostly apples. Perhaps some rotten meat as well.

The mouthfeel is what really makes this beer interesting. It is really sour, similar only to one other beer that I have had before, New Glarus’s sour brown. They share a closely similar appearance as well. The texture is also quite unique and rather like warn shoe leather or rawhide. This leathery quality seems to make its way into the aroma and taste as well. I can’t say that I like it very much but I do suppose it could grow on me as my taste buds age and I continue to crave new and different beers. This one is definitely sui generis.

3.41/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

750mL into a tulip. Pours a murky copper color w/ a 1-finger off-white head that settles to a thin film of sea foam.

Aroma is mostly floral, almost perfumy. If I had to guess, I'd say lavender, hibiscus, and jasmine. Kind of tea-like. Underneath that is a subdued spiciness.

Taste is likewise very floral, with hints of honey. More lavender and jasmine here, kind of soap-like. I'm not sure what they were going for here, but I'm not sure they nailed it. Tastes a little like one of Dogfish Head's more experimental releases.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied and fairly soft and clean. Goes down pretty easy.

Overall, I don't know that I'm on board w/ this one. It's OK, but feels a bit muddled. Probably won't be seeking this out again.

3.43/5  rDev -14%

A-orange cloudy gold with a thin head

S-good farmhouse funk with a lemon and orange zest. smells fresh. not very complex or unique

T-comes in with faint zest and then a slight aged funkiness that reminds me of cork. then comes an extreme bitterness that doesn't last long. it has an after-taste of burnt belgian spices, but only slightly. very light bodied.

M-low bitter carbonation with a dry finish

D-its unique and complex but I wouldn't necessarily say its a great saison. all of the flavors seems to be fainted. it is however extremely light bodied and drinkable for the ABV. in fact, i'm not sure i've ever had an 8% beer that went down so easily.

Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - Hiver from Brasserie Fantôme