Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - Hiver - Brasserie Fantôme

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 02-19-2003

4.04/5  rDev +0.5%

Hiver in a Duchesse goblet. Burnt orange amber color with a bleach white head of thin dimension. Lingering does the foam.

White grape, light honey, lemony tartness, nectary malt, hint of allspice and cardamom, farmhouse yeast, and a touch of vanilla.

Bright acidity without exceeding "tart" into the land of sour. Less of the funk and more of a white wine and lemon zing. Not tangy, just really bright and semi-tart. Firmly bitter for a saison. There is a light Bretty note that is understated, but delicious. Great flavors and complexity.

Tart and light and airy. An easy drink with a semi-stinging finish. Refreshing.

Very distinct. Not too showy, but tasty. The yeast doesn't steal the show. (698 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -9.2%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Bright hazy orange. Nice white head. Thick collar and nice surface islands.

Smell - Citrusy and sweet. Pale malts and some earthy notes. A little cidery.

Taste - Much more cidery. Apples and esters. Yeasty. Pale malt. Minimal sweetness beyond the fruitiness. Strong earthy flavor in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Well carbonated, but not too high.

Overall - This bottle could be pretty old. Seems to be falling a little flat in the finish. (502 characters)

4.02/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

~1 1/2 finger slightly off-white head with great retention and scattered lacing. Gold and coppery straw brew, nearly opaque.

Smell is of lemon and citrus, wheat, yeast, and some barnyard funk. Out of the bottle, there was a skunk-like aroma that happily faded in the glass.

There's some slight up front funkiness in the taste, with a good amount of sweet Belgian yeast and straw. Sweet and balanced maltiness. Finally, there's a massive dose of funk at the end, like eating a huge mouthfull of aged cheese.

Light feel with a slight carbonation sting. Still a slow sipper because of the funkiness.

This is a very complex saison with quite a bit going on. It's less drinkable because of that throaty, malty funk at the end of each sip, but it's by no means a bad flavor. Very different from any other saison I've had, and an excellent and interesting experience. (864 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

What an incredibly cool beer. It didn't tasting particularly amazing and I don't have an overwhelming desire to drink it again, but I adore it for its originality. I feel this way about Fantome in general. They want you to drink their beers, furrow your brow and go, "Huh. What the hell am I tasting?" Hiver is just like that. It's unlike any beer I have ever tasted. It's a cigar in a bottle, with an incredibly strong taste of smoke and some underlying grassy spice. I was drinking it and wondering how something that looked like that could taste like you're sitting in a cigar bar. There are flavors in there that I seriously cannot identify, but they're hanging around, and they are great. Big fan, and I am thrilled that I got to try this. (744 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -53.7%

A second go at it. Vint 2013 (prolly)

This is murky and light amber with a solid quilt of toasted cream foam. Smells primarily of skunk and bandaids. Then some soil, hay, clay, shit and leather. Flavor is plastic, bandaid, bitter, well, quite frankly this beer is shit, and tastes like a tack store with manure to boot. Medium bodied with moderate carb and of dry. A really shitty beer.

Reviewed 09/2012
Vint 2012(?) 3.5/3.5/3.5/3/3 - 3.35
Pours amber with diaphany and a solid white surface character. Nose with vanilla, sweet grain I get from most Fantome’s, and plenty of pepper and clay; also a surprsingly skunked character. Sweet flavor with the pepper tones and a sweet grainy character and some clay flavor. Full, over full body with not only a full body (poor for this style) and hi carb and a semi dry finish. Not that intriguing, not that great (at least for what the hunt requires in my life) (908 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

Bottle to pint glass to the face

A: Hazy blonde golden color nice head forming

S: Fruity esters galore

T: Yes, fruity esters, spices! lots of em, peppery, a bit sour bit funky

M: Dry finish a bit spicy but nice

O: This is a real interesting saison that I thoroughly enjoyed. Everything blended together for an interesting and pleasurable experience. (354 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

750ml picked up at House of Brews in Mt Pleasant. Fairly dark gold pour, a thin layer of white head. Retained very well. Stuck to the glass just a bit.

Aroma, light vinegar at first pop of the bottle, but in the glass this is barely there. More citrus zest, yeast. Herbal spice and tobacco.

Taste, there is a sweet spice up front, some caramel malt and brown sugar like sweetness as well. Quickly fades to leather, tobacco, earthy cocoa. Citrus zest is prevalent. Herbal funkiness, hay and grass in the finish.

Heavy side of light body, ample carbonation but it is quite fine in nature and is almost creamy in the back of the throat. Alcohol is completely hidden. No problems drinking this for me.

Definetely no infection in this one. This bottle looked older, though I didn't look how to date these, at least 9 months old I'd say. Very intersting brew, I enjoyed it immensely. May not be to the standard of the style, but I enjoy the variants of the style even more sometimes. (981 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

750 ml bottle, shaker.
dark copper, big head. smell is of band aids and horse blanket, in a good way. super funky taste, burnt cigarettes, stale bread, like you're drinking leather. high carbonation, medium bodied.

overall extremely interesting, not sure I like it. see what you think. (286 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

750 ml poured into Russian River stemmed glass.

A: High carbonation, very white and creamy head with a mix of large to tiny creamy bubbles. Very transparent light copper color with many bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. Head mostly dissipated in about a minute down to a thin creamy film with ok lacing when swirled. Can't wait to try this puppy.

S: A smooth fruitiness with that distinct Fantome smokey funkiness that's so unique about these beers. Fruit aroma is sweet like strawberries but there's also some grassy earthiness behind the fruit and mixed well with a hint of smoke. Very interesting and unique smelling brew. Can't wait to try.

T: Wow, tad smokey with flavors I can't even explain. Fruityness is there with some great bitterness but very complex and hard to explain the flavors I'm getting. Its f-ing delicious! Its a bit sweet but dry like a saison should be, but there's a good malty backbone that supports the beer well. Hard to explain what fruits I'm getting that contribute to the great aroma and sweetness. Complex and a must try.

M: Dry and crisp with good body. Finishes dry and a bit sweet as well, but is very enjoyable and makes you want more and more and more. A strange bitterness lingers but not a hop bitterness, best way to explain is, which I heard someone say and make complete sense, that weird tonic water bitterness.

O: A very very good Fantome and unique complex beer that made me struggle to explain the flavors I was tasting, yet I'm enjoying a lot. A must have. Don't be afraid of picking one up even with all the Fantome horror drain pour posts that are common. Go for it and you will be rewarded. (1,658 characters)

Poured a cloudy, yeasty orange with giant head that died at a moderate pace and left lace patches. The yeast first hits me as I smell and I get some citric notes, possible tropical but most likely some sour apple or grapeskin fruit aromas, a little bit of funk and tartness. Taste is more of the same as I am getting a yeasty beer that is fuller-bodied and smooth and gives off minor sweetness, balanced with a sour apple or grape skin taste that also give off a good amount of barnyard funk and puckering tartness at times. Really sharp due to good carbonation and spices, the ABV seems to be slightly noticeable and this beer gives off a warming sensation in the finish. I can see why this is a "winter" beer, or at least available in winter, as it seems to be less fruity and more spicy/warming and fuller bodied to complement a winter month. Anyway, I had it in the middle of summer and still find it great. (911 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: poured into an oversize wine glass to a bright orange with some floating particulates topped by a dense three finger off white head that is slow to fade
S: smells of spice, a bit of pine and some biscuity malt
T: taste is a lot of funk, some band aid, horse blanket, slight sweetness, and some herbal hops. swallow is more funk, some pine, band aid and spice as the throat is numbed like after drinking cough syrup
M: medium in the mouth with soft but ample carbonation and a slightly dry finish
O: It seems like a lot of Fantome beers have a lot of that band aid flavor. I'm not the biggest fan of it but it isn't extremely one note. Great complexity and flavor overall. (674 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wow, just wow. My first Fantome and this thing changed my life.

A- Beautiful puffy head with tight bubbles and lacing.

S- Smell is lemon and lime, farmhouse yeast, hay, hops, and a hint of sweetness.

T- Lots of flavors going on. There is a wonderful malt sweetness upfront, and then a huge hit of citrusy goodness, lemon-lime flavor is awesome. Hops and a dry finish round this out. There is a bit of a cidery note and the finish reminds me of Chardonnay.

M- Perfect mouthfeel. High carbonation but not overly done, and a light crisp mouthfeel.

O- I'd buy this stuff by the palate if I could find it in my area. (617 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I have finally started to find some level of appreciation of saisons, and I know that Fantome is pretty top of the line. Hiver poured a nice golden copper color with a generous white head. My God, the sediment in this beer! It looks like a snow globe hidden inside my beer! The barnyard funk aroma is pretty standard, nothing out of the ordinary. In the initial taste, lemon, tart apples, and grass are present. The texture certainly is pretty trademark so the style, being grainy and leaving a Flintstone vitamin taste in your mouth. Overall, a pretty average saison, being very drinkable. On the other hand, it is not necessarily one I need to revisit. (654 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -37.3%

Very Brett-forward and one-dimensional. This has to be infected. Having read some reviews that mention smoke and Band-Aid notes, I get none of that. I also get none of complexities mentioned in favorable reviews.

Bronze colored, quite dark for the style, a head of about two fingers of foam. Tart aroma with acetic quality. Flavor is tart and one-dimensional, like a mediocre wild ale. This was my first shot at Fantome, and I knew the risks. Consider me another victim of their quality control issues. (503 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Beer review #1500 - 750ml Bottle

Appearance - Hazy amber colour with a large size fizzy white coloured head. It's hard to make out the amount of carbonation showing and there is some fair lacing. The head lasted for around 4-5 minutes.

Smell - Breads/grains, clove/coriander, funky notes, grapes, lemons

Taste & Mouth - There is an above average amount of carbonation and I can taste breads/grains mixed with some lemon and some clove/coriander. There is also some yeast, green grapes, and a bit of funk. It ends with dry spicy/fruity aftertaste.

Overall - While it wasn't as good as I was expecting, it was still an excellent beer. It had a nice level of complexity that allowed me to taste different flavours with each sip. It was a touch too dry, but was still very drinkable. (783 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -34.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

First I have to admit is this isn't my style I find enjoyable. This definitely reminds me of a white wine beer. Smells very fruity and bitter and taste exactly how it tastes. Although i will say it is smooth and leaves minimal aftertaste which i guess if you like this class would be a big plus. Basically if you don't like white wine, like I don't, then you won't like this. (375 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2012 vintage... seriously...

A: Pours an almost completely transparent lemon gold with one full finger of pure white head. The foam sticks around for a bit, but fades wonderfully over time. Nice bit of lacing as it drinks.

S: The nose is wonderful on this beer. I get lemon/lime citrus (almost like Gatorade), a bit of malt, and a touch of apple juice. I’m looking forward to this one.

T: The taste follows the nose almost exactly. I get a nice light malt sweetness right away followed instantaneously by that yummy lemon/lime flavor. A touch of spice enters in next with apple cider like qualities. The finish is dry, a bit yeasty, but really nice.

M: Medium bodied beer. It takes control of the palate straight away, the flavors dance, and the finish is just slightly drying.

O: Really enjoyed this brew. I know there are a lot of terrible bottles of this out there. But the bottle we opened is drinking wonderfully. I’d drink a lot more of this if I knew the bottle integrity wasn’t going to be an issue. (1,018 characters)

1.57/5  rDev -60.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 1.5

I was really excited to try this beer, it was my first (and currently only) Fantome. The beer looked great, but unfortunately I seem to have gotten one of the skunked bottles that I have seen many people post about. Both the aroma and the taste were completely dominated by something that I can best describe as burning tires.

At first I though that maybe it was meant to be a kind of smokey saison, but after reading other reviews it is clear that this is not the case. Even if the taste had been intentional (which I am pretty sure it wasn't), it was not pleasant at all and most of it ended up going down the drain. (619 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A-Pours a murky amber hue. Huge, gigantic, billowing head. Head refuses to die quickly and leaves curtains of lace.

S-Crazy aroma. Almost a bit leathery or peaty. Supremely earthy. Incredibly musty. Stewed spinach. Very unique.

T-The oddest tasting beer I have had in quite a while. Sweetness is more noticeable here than in the nose. Also a bunch of bitterness by a crazily earthy hoppiness. The rest of the beer is just a plethora of wacky flavors. Wet wood, peaty moss, leather, decomposing vegetation, soil and peppery spice. A trip for sure.

M-Tingly bubbles. Medium to full in body. A weird, lasting bitterness.

O/D-My first Fantome. I have stayed away from the brewer due to inconsistency of product, high price and relative shelf rarity. Judging by how unique and odd this one is, I need to pay up and try their other offerings when available. (855 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured into a Tapered Guinness pint glass. No freshness date.

A- Pours a murky dark amber color with a full three fingers worth of off-white head that retains good and long before becoming a .

S- Initially skunky aroma that's common with these green glass imports but then the saison funk shines through and is driven by a lemony citrus from the spices and wheat.

T- Strange medicinal flavor that's puzzling as to where it's coming from. Is it the yeast? Is it the alcohol? Is it the spice? Like nothing I've ever tasted. A bit of a peaty smokiness is definitely there too. Not sweet, but also not necessarily bitter. Leaves me scratching my head.

M- A bit tart and dry with medium-high carbonation and a medium body.

O- A mystery of a beer but it's certainly unique, complex and quite drinkable. Not sure I would buy again at the $13 price tag (and it was on sale) but I'm glad I finally got to try one of Fantome's beers. Not your typical saison. (953 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Not sure of the vintage, but I'm going to assume it's not the most recent since it doesn't taste like a smokey tire...

Appearance- Beautiful hazy golden orange with a huge, soapy white head. Tons of lacing, it really looks nice!

Smell- Herbal and fruity up front with a strange sweetness I can't really pin point

Taste- Sweet fruitiness up front, with big orange and grapefruit notes. Finishes herbal and slightly bitter. It's actually reminiscent of an very malty and earthy IPA

Mouthfeel- Medium body and light carbonation, finishes slightly sticky. Would have liked it to be a bit cleaner and crisper, but it's still nice.

Overall- A very unique saison, I don't get any of the typical funk or breadiness, but it's pretty nice. (734 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -60.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 1.5

Served from a cork and cap bottle. This is the second bottle I have had from this batch; I wanted to give it a second chance after being very disappointed with the first bottle.

A-Hazy light rusty gold color with an impressive froathy head and great retention/lacing. This was the best part of this beer by a long shot.

S-Odd notes of rubber, grass, burnt hair and herbal hop notes. Very odd and off putting.

T- Atrocious. Burning rubber and solvent nail polish remover/alcohol. Chemical, harsh, and just dreadful. I have really enjoyed this one in the past but this batch is a disaster.

M-It honestly is so hard to get past the taste that the mouthfeel is hard to say. Oily yet effervescent and light.

O-Sadly I dropped 17.99ea on two of the worst bottles in recent memory. Will I give Fantome another chance? Of course. They have made so many great beers that it should be chalked up as an aberration. With that said, I will not be purchasing and Hiver till I am certain that the current batch is long gone. (1,014 characters)

4.01/5  rDev -0.2%

Appearance. Pours a lightly hazy, rich yellow-gold with two fingers of thick white head.

Smell. Light grainy malts and lactic sourness, some earthy funk and lemon, and a good amount of medicinal herby hops, aged I would guess ...being the experienced expert in brewing ingredients that I am. *rolls eyes* Hey, I know what tastes good to me and how to describe what I taste in relative terms. I think that's all that's asked for in these reviews, right? Anyways, back to it...

Taste. Whoa! Not what I was expecting. Big medicinal herbs, very earthy and fairly bitter with just a touch of lemon. There's a very slight tang, but not sour like I was getting from the smell. Woody and savoury herbs linger, but I can't quite say what they are. Possibly lemongrass, maybe even thyme. I dunno, but it's very interesting and gets better the more I drink (after the initial shock).

Mouthfeel. Medium+ body, lowish and fine carbonation.

Overall. One of the most interesting beers I've tried in recent memory. Lots of earthy, herby big flavour, but nothing offensive. So glad I took a chance on this grab from Belmont Station on a fairly recent trip to Portland. (1,156 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

750ml bottle into a tall tulip

A: Pours a hazy golden color with two fingers of dense white head.

S: Lemon peel, musty barnyard funk, clove, and a touch of wheat. This is a quintessential Farmhouse Ale. Lemon acidity builds as the beer warms.

T: Hmm, like tasting a completely different beer. Still musty with lemon and orange peel, but the acidity I got in the aroma is completely gone. I also get some plums and prunes along with a strong perfume spiciness.

M: On the thick side with low carbonation for a Saison.

O: The aroma on this is great, but the flavor is odd for the style, the spices are very strong, and the mouthfeel is too thick. It's still pretty good, though. (680 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 750 ml into a tulip. Purchased in Providence, RI. "Best by" dates go up to 2012 but none have been notched, leaving me to believe that this has been sitting for a bit.

A- Pours a hazy dull orange body with a small fizzy white head that reduces fairly quicky and leaves no lacing. Had to pour slowly as the bottle had a good half inch of settling.

S- Well this is unique. The first thing I picked up was an oaked-chardonnay-like white wine note, as well as pear, red grape juice, musty, lemon juice and orange peel aromas. Slight belgian funk in there.

T- Upfront it's pretty acidic, huge lemon juice and pretty vinegar-like on the start. The taste develops into a very tart, nearly sour fruity, citrusy, white grape character. The finish has interesting musty, woody, green tea and earthy notes. Slight funk and skunkyness in there. I'm not getting much as far as spices or malt. Not sweet at all, very dry.

M- Best part of this beer. It's light and has medium carbonation, and pretty refreshing.

I bought this beer because it was on sale for 5.99 and the guy at the counter just said they were trying to get rid of them. Was it worth that price? For 750 ml, yes. Would I pay the normal price for this beer? Absolutely not, I'd just buy a couple bombers of beer or a bottle of wine.

It may be past it's prime, but I still enjoyed it for what it was. It's not the easiest drinker in the world but worth a try. I do have to say, it tastes absolutely nothing like any other Saison I've ever tasted. (1,518 characters)

Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - Hiver from Brasserie Fantôme