Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - Hiver - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - HiverFantôme Saison D'Erezée - Hiver

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 02-19-2003

Pours a cloudy orange-brown color with a slightly off-white head. Almost looks like a darker grade of honey.

The aroma is at first almost salty, which then gives way to a spicy vegetable stew smell. The label on the bottle states that special spices and herbs were used, but my nose is having a hard time defining exactly what I'm smelling. Very interesting. Bits of fig and other dark, rich, fruits mingle in the background, along with some orange rind and a slight tinge of funkiness. Swirling the glass further reveals some cinnamon-apple aroma as well.

The taste is somewhat bitter at the start, moving into bready malts and light fruits (ripe, slightly sour grapes). Some pepper-laden hops and spice. Overall, a little more bitter than what I'm used to and also slightly more sour than other saisons I've had.

Mouthfeel is slightly mouth puckering and the body is on the heavier side for the style. Peppery, yet creamy. Keeps you interested.

Drinkability is pretty good. A little thicker and spicier than I would want for a go to saison, but this is the winter release, so the changes seem to make sense to me. Splitting a bottle is about perfect.

Overall, this is my first Fantome and I thought it was quite good. I still think Saison Dupont reigns supreme over this offering, but I have yet to try Fantome's regular saison, which I hear is their flagship beer. For the price I probably won't pick this up again, but if I come across any other Fantomes I'll definitely have to give them a try.

4.08/5  rDev +3%

750ml corked and capped into my Duvel tulip...

Pours a hazy burnt orange color with one finger of bright white head which dissipates rather quickly...

Aroma on this one is pretty weak, earthy lemon with some funk mixed in there...

Taste, for lack of a better word is good. Sweet upfront, somewhat reminded me of a wit. Orange with a citrusy bite, finishes with a little funk/grassy taste, but not near as funky or sour as other Fantomes I have tried...

I think the mouthfeel was the weakest part of the beer, not bad, but lacking compared to the other aspects. Thin and somewhat flat tasting, not much carbonation on the tongue...

Drinkability is high but was satisfied after one bottle...

Overall, a good beer and always fun to dig into a Fantome. I still think the regular saison is the best however. Beer was consumed pretty fresh, bought a couple more and am eager to see what happens over the next couple years...

4.16/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Fantome, always guaranteed to be fun and interesting.

Poured into my unbranded tulip, Hiver shows a sunny, slightly hazed gold with shades of red. Fantome is never the foamiest saison out there, but the retention here is good, and leaves some excellent lacing.

Reviewing this after I just reviewed Speedway Stout is going to be a challenge....hehe. Oh well, that's what palate-cleansing water crackers are for. There's a slightly sour-smelling musty aroma, along with some unidentified garden herbs. Oregano? Sage? I'll go with those.

You don't know what you're going to get with Fantome, and this is no exception. The common Fantome thread is the slightly funky, tart character. But then Dany throws in all kinds of unconventional ingredients, always leaving you guessing as to what you're tasting. Acquired taste to many, revered by saison lovers everywhere. Hiver is very interesting indeed. I think oregano is a good descriptor here, as well as...tomato? Basil? I'm not kidding, it tastes like tomato and basil! I'd be surprised if there wasn't tomato in here - I really taste it. Also a bitterness that I can't place....OK, I taste some peppery hop, but there's something else contributing bitterness as well. Excellent, as usual.

Carbonation is sharp per style, but not at all overbearing.

High ABV for a saison - but I don't taste that. Instead, the tart, herbal nature of this saison forces you to slow down. I don't place this on quite as high a level as the Printemps in Dany's 4-season rotation, but it's still world-class.

3.83/5  rDev -3.3%

A Fantome with a cork, we are off to a good start. Pours a honey brown colow with a pillowy off white head that slowly settled into a nice cap. The aroma is quite faint, not that impressive, I did pick up some tart funk. The taste is malty, like a british ale, kind of like Bass. There is a nutty and woody flavor,some yeast and metallic notes, a light grassy hop and very light funk. Seems to be more of a Biere de Garde, though not as sweet. The feel is light, almost watery, soft carbonation despite the nice head, finishes dry and slightly bitter. Hmmm, not sure what to think. Definitely does not seem to be a saison. More malt forward with a nutty taste, muted yeasty flavors and not much funk. A brown saison maybe? Anywho, I actually like it but scored it down due to style. Interesting, worth a purchase.

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

Winter was quiet and sweet with this lady. We spent all day and night in bed. We only went out for necessities because it was too cold to stray from our heated surroundings.

I would watch her brush her hair. It was the color of apple cider. The shampoo she used was a little strange. It smelled like Blue Moon and church on Easter Sunday. I could pick up the subtle notes of orange and lily that were intertwined with her natural fresh hay scent.

She had citrus zest and a tart attitude. A bit shallow though. Her personality was watered down and humor was rather dry. Even still she was as cute, sweet and refreshing as a cold glass of southern tea. She warmed you up without even knowing it and left a taste in your mouth like Sunset Wheat's distant Belgian cousin. I wanted to see her everyday. But she left me as soon as 25% markdown came after the season was over.

3.25/5  rDev -17.9%

A: Pours a hazy orange color. At first a one finger white head forms, but recedes in a second. Very light lace.
S: Musky, dank malt. Light funky yeast an fruity esters. Mostly a lemon/grassy aroma.
T: A musky, dank, and metallic flavor. Light funk and fruity esters again.
M/D: A medium body that is a little under carbonated. Not hard to drink. Something to sip on.

Not bad, a little underwhelming. Probably a one time purchase for me though. Fairly average for the style.

3.16/5  rDev -20.2%

Pours out a really clear weak ice tea color with one finger or less of white suds.
Smell is kinda strange. Almost smells like a Heiny but surely not. I am not getting the spices one might think should be here.
Taste is creamy malt and black bitterness. No sugar here.
Mabey this is a bad bottle but the mouthfeel seems quite clean. No aftertaste though and I am not belching any spice at all.
This isn't very good at all.

4.22/5  rDev +6.6%

One of the most interesting beers I have ever had!

It pours golden brown and chunky. The head holds strong. The smell is yeasty and earthy, good. The taste has a sour quality to it that doesn't leave much of an aftertaste. It is thick but surprisingly very drinkable because of the bit of sourness and makes the next sip more enjoyable.

Overall, I enjoyed it very much because of how unique it was.

4.1/5  rDev +3.5%

(Served in a tulip glass) cork says 086/407044
A- This beer pours a hazy brown body that is a bit dense with a sea of microbubbles gliding up the side. There is a creamy bubbly light tan head that last a good bit.
S- This beer has a cardamom and brown sugar note with a sweet dried orange perfume note. As the beer warms the aroma becomes more milk chocolate and citronella.
T- The tart cherry hint gives way to stale chocolate flavor and a finish of brett tartness and a nice red wine vinegar note.
M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with no alcohol heat. D- I really didn't like the first few sips but as it opened up I really started to like it. The bright tartness has just a hint of jam and some soft farmyard notes with a milk chocolate note that sounds odd but all works together.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured into Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a translucent red/amber. Beautiful two finger, thick, white head. Head dissipates quickly. Sparse lacing.

S: Orange and lemon zests. Catty, herbal and lightly sweet.

T: Citrus fruits such as orange, lemon and grapefruit. Little bit of pine. Wonderful saison yeast sourness.

M: Full bodied, chewy, light carbonation.

D: Goes down smooth with light carbonation and bittersweet finish that stays with you. I want more.

My first from Fantome which I've been meaning to try. Delicious.

4.47/5  rDev +12.9%

A: Dark ruby red, slightly cloudy with almost no head, just fine bubbles. Decent lacing.
S: Wow, lots of funk here. Like Butterfingers bars stored in dirty sweat socks. In a good way.
T: Taste starts with creme brulee and progresses to sour and spice, then ends with a dry finish. Obvious brett and lacto.
M: Great body.
D: A fascinating and unusual brew, unexpected characteristics for a winter beer. I bought two bottles to store, I'll let you know how it evolves.

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%

The beer pours a hazy dark golden color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is fantastic. It has a really excellent pale malt scent and yeast aroma. It's light and fruity with just the appropriate amount of farmhouse funk. It's lightly earthy with a mild sourness. The taste is equally fantastic. It's funky as hell with loads of yeast character. There is a light earthy feel with a basic pale malt base. It goes down very easy. The alcohol is well hidden. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. Wow, these guys just produce the finest farmhouse ale around. They are incredibly drinkable as well as being intensely complex.

4.26/5  rDev +7.6%

Live review. The second of four consecutive Fantôme beers that I purchased for $13.99 one day at the Beer Engine in Lakewood. I have been wanting to drink these since I got them a few months ago and now is the time as I approach my 800th review. Poured from the 1 pint, 9.4 oz. green bottle which was corked and capped but removing the cap resulted in no carbonation release, it was all held in by the cork. Lot # and "best by" date not marked on the label of my bottle. The little chart is there but nothing is marked. The cork has the exact same mark as the regular Fantôme Saison, 086/477044. Poured into my silver rimmed Hennepin goblet, my only Saison glass. A word about the bottle/label: I personally love the wrinkled label on the front and back. I read some negative comments about it here in other reviews but I found it to be charming.

A 3 inch light brown head that stuck around for 3 minutes, now is 0.5 cm on the top of the caramel, slightly translucent, slightly opaque body with plenty of yeast floating about. I like this look and it is different from the standard Fantôme Saison. Repeated pours got increasingly darker, becoming an opaque dark caramel with even more yeast sediment floating about. If it can be improved, I do not know how. 5.0

S Belgian yeast, some malt but also a nice peppery wheat/grain smell that I like. This presents as a nice, strong Saison. None of that weak stuff here. 4.0

T Really good Saison backdrop with a front of nice, sweet, peppery wheat with some strength from the reasonably big ABV. This is probably the best Saison I have had. It really pushes what a Saison can be like while staying within the style nicely. Taste was more intense as I reached the bottom of the bottle. 4.5

M Moderate with plenty of wheat/grain tastes, some sense of alcohol and the Belgian yeasts. Despite a significant head the beer is not particularly smooth to the feel. 4.0

D Good, and better than the standard Fantôme Saison (can't help but compare...just had one last night). I did not drink the two tablespoons of yeast in the bottom of my glass, however. 4.0

Notes: As I enjoyed this beer I got a sense of why Fantôme gets so much attention here on BA. All Saison fans should proceed in obtaining this beer.

3.88/5  rDev -2%

Pours a burnt orange, some floaties. Nice creamy head, good retention. Smells of grassy maltiness, nice subtle fruitiness, orange i think, mild clove spices. Tastes of mild fruity spicy malt. Extremely dry earthy backbone, some pepper flavors present. Bitterness is fairly low but there to dry the palate. Finishes dry and herbal with some tangerine. Good carbonation, crisp.

A really nice saison, very unique, one of a kind. Not sure if i was totally sold by it, but i'm glad i tried it. Love the fruitiness and the dryness, a good sign of a well crafted saison.

4.33/5  rDev +9.3%

750ml from Nikki's $9.99. Into Chimay chalice.

A- A rusty, hazy, yellow with burnt orange highlights. Looks stunning, really nice presentation.

S- Cinnamon? Spices, usual barnyard funk, wet grass, flowers, very fragrant.

T- Wow. Sweet, musty, peppery, complex. A bit more robust in flavor then some other Fantomes I've had. A mild lemon, tangerine, and... pear skin? fruit essence is there as well. Too much to quantify, but very impressive.

M- Good carbonation. I was worried, as my bottle of Pissenlit was dead flat, but this one reasurred me with a healthy pop and a nice, not-too light but light-enough body.

D- High. I really loved this beer. No one makes a saison like fantome, and this is a very unique one at that. Well worth the money, and then some. A really enjoyable beer.

4.36/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - Dark amber with hints of dark orange. Lightly hazed. Big bubble dirty white head with hints of orange. Head fades to about a finger of thickness.

S - Lots of spice in the aroma that definitely bring thoughts of winter to mind. A musty earthiness as well. Just a bit of lemon zest comes through as the beer warms.

T - Absolutely fascinating taste. Somewhat fruity with hints of baking spices. Lemon zest, tangerine, honey, ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon all come to mind. Light earthiness with a light mustiness. The tastes are all over the place but somehow come together perfectly.

M/D - Light, crisp and very well carbonated. Ridiculously easy drinking.

This is my first Fantome beer and I think it is great. I wasnt sure what to expect and with all the spice in the nose I was a little skeptical, but it came together very well. Certianly looking forward to more Fantome beers down the road.

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

750 ml bottle poured into a La Chouffe tulip, no idea on the date, but I'm pretty sure it probably isn't too fresh

Pours a murky orangey amber with a large fluffy white head that recedes pretty quickly. Little bands of lacing as I get through the beer. It gradually gets darker and more murky towards the end of the bottle.

The smell is very rich, fruity, and floral. Peaches, green apples, sourness, wet hay, grass, earthy/funky cheese, flowers. As it warms the earthy and funky flavors come out more and more.

The taste is bright and fruity. Along with the smell. The sourness isn't at all over the top but is a significant presence. While the character from the yeast (and maybe spices) is dominant, there's a subtle maple syrup sweetness in the background that is nice.

It's pretty highly carbonated but not fizzy. The carbonation helps the bright fruity characters come across initially. Finishes dry and earthy.

As far as drinkability, I really wouldn't think it necessary to share a 750ml bottle. It's both refreshing and complex.

While it may be a little "out there" for the style, I don't think anyone could knock this brewery for making more complex and interesting versions of saisons.

Poured a deep golden, bronze color with a half inch, fluffy tan head. Large bubbles and lacing on glass. Nose is earthy, caramel and citrus. Good yeast character as well. Taste is citrus, an orangy touch with a bit of caramel and a medicinal character.

4.27/5  rDev +7.8%

Pours a cloudy dark golden ripe banana color with slight golden yellow hues when held to a light source and a one finger fizzy white head that quickly fades into a lasting ring. Not much in the way of lacing.

Spicy aroma with a lot of crisp light fruit notes. Not as earthy as I expected with hints of apple, cherry, berry, pear, pepper and bread. Not skunky or earthy as many of their other beers and saisons in general seem to be.

This beer has a very complex flavor, especially when it warms up properly. Very crisp medium body with a decent amount of bready yeast in the mouthfeel and a lot of crisp light fruit notes. Apple and pear come to mind but there is also a very nice berry, especially strawberry presence as ell as some sweet cherry. In addition to the sweet fruit notes from the Belgian yeast strain there is a slight peppery sweetness and a very subtle medicinal note. Not funky or earthy as most of the saisons I've had and very little bitterness or hops.

3.44/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from 2008. Pours a very cloudy orange-amber with a huge off-white head that lasts. Smells slightly infected, with a bit of light sourness. Incredibly yeasty, with some strong fruit up front, followed by a kind of spicy bubble-gum character. Some light ginger notes. Generally sweet. It's a bit harder to taste the infection, fortunately. Tropical fruits and some spice, along with some slight metallic notes. Bready again. Grassy hops add a nice bitterness to an otherwise sweet beer. Not as dry as it could be, unfortunately. Medium body with high carbonation. Wish Fantome had a bit better quality control.

4.35/5  rDev +9.8%

Nothing beats a true Belgian Saison. Such succulent sweetness, yet so dry and spicy with those palate challenging 'Belgian' character.

The beer pours a hazy golden with an eggshell head that billows in rocky fashion wiht loosely knit pockets of air.

Malt sweetness swirls with a lot of spice, woodsy, musty, and attic-y qualities. Sweetness upfront is all malts with a sugar cookie and biscuit note. Spicy pepper notes compliment the corriander, orange peel, and lemon zest very well for complexity and balance (in the absence of meaningful hop character). A cork-ish woodiness with a dusty, musty note shies away from any brett character but does hold an aura that boarders on funky notes.

Sweetness up front makes the initial sip very inviting and soothing, then the beer dries out beautifully as the light hop character delivers an earthy, spicy note to compliment the spices in the throat. A truely wonderful beer as should be expected from Fantome.

4.33/5  rDev +9.3%

0,75 l into Duvel tulip. Has a best-before tag, but no one bothered to etch it.

I can't remember the last 5 I gave for appearance, but this one's unique. 3F of velvety off-white head lounging on top of a deep / semi-opaque orange-gold colored body. You can see the sediment suspended, while carbonation struggles through slowly to the top. Cool.

Smelled of apple skin, and a rich yeasty quality that seemed like walking down into a damp basement. Strong pull yields some nice sweet spices as well.

Taste was mellow - some tart green apples, musty hay, and a hint of spice (ala apple cider) to keep things interesting. Nothing harsh or tacky.

Mouthfeel was quite creamy smooth for a Saison. With the exception of the light tart quality, it was almost reminisent of an English Pale Ale.

With the pleasant flavor and that great creamy mouthfeel, I found this highly drinkable. I went thru this bomber way too quickly.

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

this beer pours a nice looking autumnal orangey amber. it's got a moderately sized very light khaki head, that fades to a ring.
it's got a tight funky little nose. you get apple, pear, a whisper of corriander, a touch of spiciness, and an undercurrent of musty funk.
the flavor is a bit more tart than anticipated, but nothing over the top. up front there are some sweet spiced cidery notes, and a bit of caramel. it quickly transitions to the funky sour notes of apple, lemon, and slightly richer underripe pear. slight corriander follows, before a dry finish. as in the aroma, a soft undercurrent of musty hay is present, as well as a sort of live wood type flavor, as in not at all like barrel aging.
the mouthfeel is medium bodied with a soft carbonation.
the drinkability is good. you get a nice fairly moderate sourness, some funky earthy flavors and some sweeter spiced cider or tea notes, providing a good balance to a tart saison. refreshing and well worth my $$.

4.32/5  rDev +9.1%

A: Apple cider-like amber body... smallish off-white cap... subtle lacing.

S: Ripe apples... funk. yeast. general tartness. winter spices like nutmeg, coriander, maybe some pepper. dark fruits in the background.

T: Much like the nose... "hiver" is right... this is a nice darker-winter saison... its got a nice warming quality to it with the winter spices like nutmeg and coriander... lots of apple flavors... one of the things that continually makes me smile with most of the fantome saisons. figs and raisins are here as well.

M: Medium bodied. perhaps a tad over carbonated, but otherwise enjoyable... somewhat of a rounded finish but not too much of a prolonged aftertaste.

D: Quite nice... the winter saisons don't quite have the refreshing qualities of the standard saisons... for me this is a detractor although it provides a nice treat from time to time.

4.64/5  rDev +17.2%

Poured this 750mL green bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet glass. No date but I have cellared it since 10/08. The body was a cloudy but bright butterscotch color. The head was eggshell white and a cap remained throughout. More speckled yeast appeared on the second pour.

Smell was interesting. Wet concrete. Fruity and earthy. Lychee. Spiciness seemed to increase as it warmed and again on the second pour.

Taste was pears. Apple peel. Puckering tartness. Mild black pepper. 7-Up - like or party punch flavors. Drying finish. Very nice.

Mouthfeel was medium to light in body. Moderate carbonation.

Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - Hiver from Brasserie Fantôme