Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - Hiver - Brasserie Fantôme

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 02-19-2003

4.28/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Poured from the corked-and-capped green 750 ml bottle into a Duvel tulip. Body is light yellow with an ever-so-faint haze. A 1-finger bright white head settles on top, leaving behind a bit of lace.

S: Funk, spice and lemon peel are the primary scents.

T: Nice mix of flavors - sweet but lighter fruits (think apricot, pear, grapes), a hint of spice and lemon bitterness. Funkiness from the nose is not really there in the taste, though there's a bit of earthiness and a touch of tartness. Alcohol heat felt on the way down and into the belly.

M: Medium in heft with real good fizziness making it seem lighter.

O: Good stuff. My first Fantome and I'm not unhappy with it at all, despite paying around $18 for the bottle.

Note: I'm not sure how old this bottle is. I'm guessing I bought it about a year and a half ago. On the calendar on the side of the bottle, nothing is notched. It ends with 2012, however, which suggests to me that this bottle is at least 3 years old. If so, it's certainly no worse for wear, notwithstanding the green bottle. Reminds me of white wine at times; I'm going to pair it with a bunch of different cheeses and see what happens. . . . (1,172 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Starts off with a retentive, full off-white head. A musty, farmhouse aroma flows out into the room. Color is reddish orange.

The funk flows on with some dried hay, oranges and vanilla working into the party. Very unique aroma that I can't quite put a finger on. There may be some soy in there...

Tastes is intense with a smokiness up front. Some hops, wet-hay funk, spice and a nearly unnoticeable fruitiness (lemon/orange) round things out.

Dry at the edges and creamy in the middle. A bit grainy at the back of the throat with little to no alcohol heat.

One of the most unique beers I've every tried, but it appears I'm just not completely ready for this kind of party. (678 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -37.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2

Huge Fantome fan so I was excited to bring this one out from the fridge. 1 pint 9.4 fl oz green glass bottle with standard pressure cap over an internally housed cork served into a New Belgium stem-goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Acquired for around $15 at Hi Time Wine Cellars. Expectations are through the roof given the brewery, which I respect and admire.

8.00% ABV confirmed. I like the label; that sort of cute humour surrounding a mischievous ghost.

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Cork popped with ease. No beer surged out. Carbonation seems ideal. It's a fun bottle to open.

A: Colour is a clear white wine/peach as I pour. In the glass, the colour is a darker hazy yellow, semitransparent and translucent. Yeast particles are easily seen floating about. Head is a three finger beige colour delight, featuring good cream and thickness and excellent (8+ minute) retention for the high ABV. Not quite the milky white I see in some of the best saisons, but very appealing. Looks as it should for the style. No bubble show.

Sm: Butterscotch, caramel, lemongrass, light lemon zest, gose-esque salt, light tart lactic peach notes, bretts, banana, white wine/white grapes, pear, and heavy Belgian sugar/candi notes. A bit like one of those caramel popsicles you'd get at a fair. I get more and more depth of flavour as it warms. Bretts. I search for white pepper (my favourite characteristic of saisons) but don't find it. Perhaps it's subtly integrated. In any case, I'm not disappointed; with Fantome I always know I'm in good hands. A moderate strength aroma of masterful subtlety and complexity. No alcohol is detectable.

T: Salt, lemon zest, banana, milky caramel, fermented pear, dominant lactic bretty yeast notes, and vague white wine/grapes. Belgian sugar as the foundation here actually comes off a bit overwhelming, blocking out the intricacies of the more subtle notes. I don't find white pepper. Butterscotch comes through; too much for my tastes. The salt was unexpected but works here. The balance just doesn't feel as masterful as it did in other Fantome saisons I've had. It could well be personal taste. Hopping here is floral and minimal; the spices take the spotlight not the hops. And rightly so. The climax is more of that juicy pear zest joined with the lactic notes; I don't much care for it. Maybe it's a bit too sweet, as generic as that sounds? The caramel certainly bothers me. The complexity and subtlety here are unquestionable, but I'm just not big on this beer. No alcohol comes through in the flavour.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Good body. Perfect carbonation. Good thickness. A bit sticky. Soft. Suits the flavours pretty well. I could see how someone who enjoyed the flavour profile would find the mouthfeel very helpful in delivering those flavours.

Dr: Unfortunately, this Fantome just wasn't for me. It's not as drinkable as most Fantomes because of the light saltiness (and for me personally because I don't really care for the flavours), but if you enjoyed it I'm sure you'd have no trouble putting it down. It hides its ABV well. I wouldn't buy this one again; there are quite a few Fantome saisons at this exact price that I love. I adore Fantome, but I just didn't take to this one.

D+ (3,411 characters)

4.01/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle served at Avenue Pub in NOLA.

Served in tulip glass. Nice golden color with thick chunky head that lingers well in glass. Lots of thick sediment in the bottom of bottle.

Smell is funky tangerine. Hints of plum and grape.

Taste is light malt, tangerine, funk, acidity, and moderate bitterness late.

Mouthfeel is light-medium bodied with heavy carbonation.

Overall this was really good. Worth the price. (414 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Opaque golden body with a huge and persistent white head. There's a ton of yeast sediment despite a slow and cautious pour.

Funky yeast aroma, pear, lemon-lime, phenols, banana.

Young, unripe white fruits such as pear and grape are the initial taste. It's followed by lemon, and banana, then finishes with a peppery spice. It's well rounded and bursting with flavor.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with prickly carbonation. The mouthfeel is slightly sour in the finish.

This is an excellent representation of the style and one of the better saisons out there. (563 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Ok so I keep a Fantome record. So often in the beginning of my craft brew journey I would buy Fantome only to have it be skunky and light struck (much like Saison Dupont can be). Right now including this bottle of Hiver I am 3 for 8. Not bad. Probably would be 4 for 8, but Fantome Boo was just too weird for me. Here we go...
Head retention is beyond belief, lacing is wonderful. Color is dark pale yellow. This Saison is opaque, but as it is a Saison thats ok.
My nose is met with a complex aroma of medicinal/band aid/phenol, sloppy pig trough, tobacco, and light lemon. This is a very earthy aroma. Typically Fantome yeast is a bit much on the phenolic side for me....but with the aid of the earth component this Saison has a rather intriguing and beguiling aroma.
My palate experiances much the same as my nose. An earthy rustic flavor that muddles together some light citrus lemon, zesty earthy hop bitterness....yes some of that hoof, pig hoof. A bit of medicinal band aid....is there brett in this? I don't know. Many people seem to think so....but as a brewer and brett lover I can't tell.
Dry but not thin....period.
There are some things that are off putting, but there are some things that keep me coming back for more, and more. I like it. Don't love it, but it is beguiling. (1,289 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a light orangey peach color. Light color, but still opaque. Head is fleeting and really non-descript.

I love the smell of a good saison, and this has the makings of a good one so far. Funky, fruity smell. Pear, green grape and pepper, maybe some Belgian sugar.

Most of what the nose picks up is present on the tongue. I'm getting a lot of the Belgian sugar, faint pear and pepper mixed with a strong alcohol profile. It's only 8% ABV, but it tastes like more.

Sweet, funky and tangy, fruity. Mid-sip it changes to spicy. In the finish, it's heat. Differently levels and differently feels. It's not a crisp finish as the funkiness simply coats your tongue, which I'm ok with on this type of beer. Medium-bodied.

Overall it's a solid representation of the style. It's not the easiest drinker in the world, but it's solid nonetheless. A bit on the expensive side. My first foray into the world of Fantome. (913 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I was a bit disappointed by this beer.

The beer was sealed by both a cap and cork. The beer had a huge head, 4.5 fingers in a tulip glass. The color was an attractive honey.

There was a mild lemon aroma from the head.

The mouth feel was fine- carbonated in accordance with the style.

The taste was a letdown. Lemon was present, but an off spice,which I couldn't identify, dominated the taste. The presence of the spice imbalanced the beer.

Overall: disappointing. Could have been more balanced. I prefer the American Saisons, and the Belgian Saison DuPont which is traditional. (584 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750 mL bottle poured into a tulip at fridge-cellar temperature.

L – Deep gold color with a big 4-finger bubbly, rocky white head. Great retention and some patchy lacing. Clear with lots of bubbles.

S – Grainy malt, peppery and clove yeast, fresh orange and lemon esters, and a whole lot of funky Brett.

T – Starts off sweet with orange and lemon flavors and rapidly becomes filled with spices, herbs, and wood for none of which I can pick out specifics. Brett barnyard funk becomes apparent at about mid-taste, and earthy and floral bitter hops show up at the finish. Very complex and tasty.

F – Light-to-medium-bodied with great carbonation, a creamy and sticky but crisp mouthfeel, and a bitter, dry, spicy, and funky finish. A nice blend of all of these flavor sensations lingers wonderfully.

O – This may be the best saison that I’ve had. It is wonderfully complex while still remaining approachable. It has the perfect amount of funky Brett (finally!). One really interesting and awesome thing that’s happening on top of all this: the beer that is still in the bottle is growing a head. Literally growing. It started with none and now it’s almost up to 2 fingers. That yeast is still working hard! If I can ever get my hands on more from Fantôme, that will be a good day. (1,298 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -7%

A: A slightly hazey, light amber beer with a finger of creamy and rocky white foam. The head has great retention, lasting a long time and leaving some lacing on the glass.

S: Initially a pilsner like Saaz hop and soft Pils malt aroma with that German import beer kind of light struck skunk. There are just enough faint aromas of orange and peppery phenols to let you know it's brewed with Belgian yeast. Moderately low German hops aroma, moderate Pils malt and a low soft alcohol.

T: Moderately-strong hops and orange peel-like bitterness with a moderate Pils malt sweetness dominate the flavor. There is a great tasting orange fruitiness with moderately-light peppery phenols. and a light spicy hops flavor.

M: Medium-light bodied with a moderately-high carbonation. It's slightly cream with a light CO2 dryness on the tongue.

O: A great beer that is just shy of excellent from the aroma being off. It might be from being misshandled in a green glass bottle that contributed to the beer being light struck but what ever it was the skunkiness overwhelms the fruity esters and spicy phenols in the nose. The fruit and spice is definitely in the flavor and their pretty wonderful. (1,182 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +22.4%

Poured into a Bell's tulip on 1/2/13

I bought this in September 2012; I reckon it's from the previous winter.

As I take to pouring the beer, nearly the entire glass is filled with a rising cascade of crackling foam. The head eventually settles to about a finger's worth, though there is an off-centered, large upward protrusion of foam. Swaths and specks of bubbly, raised lace remain. I'm finally able to get a good take on the beer's hue; it is a clear, shiny golden color - very pretty.

Aromas of lemon and lime leap from the glass followed by strong juniper. This smells a lot like a botanical-heavy gin. Notions of white pepper, allspice, prairie grass, wild herbs and undertones of cracker. Ghost notes of ripe light fruit. Mild sugar cookie sweetness as it warms. The last of the beer has an apple pasty suggestion to it.

Spices dominate the flavor even more so. Pepper and herbal spices are in abundance, raked along the taste buds by effervescent carbonation. Likewise, with the gin. Lemongrass, fresh hay, spritzes of lime, grassy hops and a dry malt notion (a very dull or neutral bread/biscuit type of thing). Hints of grapes and apples. The body meanders within the medium-light range with perceptibility seemingly based on whether the carbonation is ample or more subdued as happens later on. Alcohol becomes appreciable as the beer warms.

I'm finding that this bottle does not get old. Often I find such peppery/herbal beers wear on me after a while; not this, though. Each sip encompasses fully the senses in ways that a great beer should. Ooooh, I wish I had more of this. One of the finest beers I have ever had. (1,635 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -9%

750ml Burgundian bottle. Thanks be to DoktorZee for the early X-mas gift from his recent SoCal sojourn. 'Hiver' equals 'winter', of course, and beyond the name, the only other indicator of seasonal affectation is the general listing of 'spices' in the specified ingredient list.

This beer pours a slight cloudy, dark golden amber hue, with three fingers of puffy, thinly foamy off-white head, which leaves some randomly sized flecks of fuzzy lace around the glass as it very slowly seeps away.

It smells of moderately smoked, peaty malt, like Islay meets Habana, with a seaside medicinal character that I have to stretch a bit to relate to any farmhouse funk qualities of note, though horseblanket and wet musty grain come to mind, somewhat. The taste is much more approachable, relatively, right off the bat - a caramel-tinged grainy malt, some lingering fleshy smokiness, a surprising, bitter noble hoppiness, a prominent sulphur character, a bit of soft, musty barnyard, lightly wafting gasoline fumes, a touch of tanned leather, and some burgeoning vinous notes.

The bubbles are generally supportive, and little more, the body an almost medium weight, and actually smooth enough, given the swirling demons around this whole project. It finishes off-dry, the pale malt sweetness enough to successfully counter the not quite played out smoky medicinal, musty notes, as the bitter hops hang out in the background, laughing and lounging.

One hell of a complicated, complex, and very busy beer, mes amis. It swings wildly from the dankest of Scotch influences, to the (almost) serenest of softy malty, yeasty farmhouse incarnations. Apparently there are some generic 'seasonal' spices added to this unholy mix, but I am patently unable to discern their provenance, given the distracting otherness overtly on display here. Interesting to try, but not one I would choose to actively revisit. (1,892 characters)

1.32/5  rDev -67.2%

Wow, by far the worst Fantome beer I've ever had, and easily the worst version of Hiver yet. Unfortunately its current rating may be accurate for previous iterations, just not the current recipe.

It literally tastes like someone put out their cigar in a saison. If you've ever chewed raw tobacco, and enjoyed it, this would be your drink. Appearance is decent, and so is mouthfeel, but overall this beer is like a hybrid between chewing tobacco and a tart dark saison.

I can appreciate dark/black saisons, but the tart acidity of this beer does not mesh well with the smokey malt flavor at all. Easily one of the worst beers I've had, ever. I would rather drink a room temperature Corona without the lime. (708 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +6.2%

My first Fantome beer so not knowing what to expect.

The beer pours a reddish light brown color with huge three finger slightly off white head.

The aroma is where it strikes me that this is nowhere near close to any other saison I've tried. Big funk, horse blanket, old barnyard hay, and an old cigar smoke penetrated smell. The aroma has a slight spice and is reminiscent of campfire and burned grilled meat. I like it!

On the tongue you get that cigar smoke aftertaste, funky old farmhouse hay, slight leather, and burnt raisin. Very interesting and unique. Never had anything close to this. I wouldn't associate the flavor profile as in the fresh and crisp categorie as you would with a typical saison but since it is a winter seasonal it's good contrast to the norm. If there was a smoked saison this is what I would imagine it tasting like.

Overall I'm very glad to have picked this one up. Unique is what a beer geek is in search of. And unique is what you get with this one. Since Fantome beers vary so much from batch to batch your expectations should always be prepared for a mind blower. This is what this is. So no complaints. (1,143 characters)

1.62/5  rDev -59.7%

2012 Vintage 750ML Bottle poured into freshly rinsed tulip.

Aroma
Gasoline, Oil, burnt matches and manure. Malt aroma is hidden beneath the phenolic gasoline, I am changing my oil smell and fusel alcohol. Little to no hop aroma is evident. There is a big plastic band-aid aroma between the gas/oil fragrance. There is also a manure aroma slightly evident at the end of the olfactory aroma emanation. Some burnt tire smoke and kerosene. No diacetyl.

Appearence
Pour is dark yellow/straw in color with a slight cloudiness. Head retention is moderate and dissipates quickly to a thin strip of creamy off-white/tan bubbles that cling tightly to the glass and each other. Decent "legs" are noticeable as you swril.

Flavor
There is a light malt sweetness followed by a slight hop bitterness noticeable at the first sip. Oil, gasoline and burnt match take hold from the middle all the way through the finish. Fermentation appears complete and yeast fully attenuated. Alcohol warmth is minimal, but well hidden behind the onslaught of fossil fuel phenols and plastic trash bags. The finish is dry and bitter. Balance is towards malt/phenols. This flavor sticks with you and is relentless in its attack of your senses.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied with moderate to high carbonation and hop bitterness. Alcohol warmth is minimal. Coarse and slightly astringent on the tongue and all the way to the finish. There is a light "slickiness" although this is not diacetyl, more of a "oil slick."

Overall Impression
There really isn't much to say about this brew. Although it could be a specialty ale, I feel that the fossil fuel phenols distract from the entire drinking process. From the beginning to the end, this is a beer that is just either confused or purposely wrong. Could this be a bad batch or bottle? Hopefully that is the case. I will revisit from a different case/bottle and update the review as needed.

***Update***
I tried this brew again two different times from 2 different cases and the result was the same. I am very off-put by this beer. I am a huge fan of Fantome and by no means wanted at all to give this beer a poor review. I was as honest as I could be and tried numerous times to find an answer, but to no avail. If someone has input on this beer, please feel free to BM me anytime! Thanks! (2,302 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -18.7%

We have been through a lot you and me Mr. Hiver. I am just realizing that this is a bitter irony that this is the 2 year anniversary of you and me dancing again. We're throwing you into a tulip glass. I hope you are on your A game just like Extra Special Sour and Dalmatiene.

A real looker as I remember, and finally a head that stays. Clumpy and rock hard, bright white with swiss cheese like character. Body is a classic peach orange amber with a slow rising column of fire going up the middle. Yup this looks great, nearly perfect.

Nose though is much different. Huge phenolic band aid and medicinal smelling. Hints of novocaine. Ok this is nothing like how I remember this, but this smells like a trip to the dentists office. Some powdery ash, and malt sweetness just hides behind.

Taste though is at least tolerable. A very big juicy palate, Rauchbier like smoke wood which really appeals to me. Juicy palate really hits on the finish hard and lingers. Hop blast somewhat and hits of smoke keep coming. This is like a smoky saison or something, it's kind of fascinating. Mouthwatering mild fruit in the middle, and a very sharp pith like bitterness in the finish.

Overall this is a real different experience than I remember, and quite a fascinating beer. It has that rauchbier sense but it's too medicinal. If it was somehow under control then I would absolutely devour this with pleasure since Rauchbier is one of my all time fav styles. I have to be in the right mood for this. It's very jarring, but has elements that I absolutely love, I just wish all the pieces were in the right place.

--- Previous review 11-24-2010 ---

Purchased and poured into a chalice type glass.

(4) The appearance of this beer is probably the best thing, in fact I would give it 5 stars if the head on this thing didn't die and dissolve in 3 seconds flat. Leaves a minimal lace but is pock marked quickly. The color on this is absolutely gorgeous, at first looking more peach and apricot on the pour and then turning into the perfect example of opaque cloudy grapefruit juice. The head though dies instantly and this to me always means trouble and usually disappointment. It is too bad, if the head had some staying power this would have been the best looking beer I have ever seen.

(2) Smell. Now this is where things start going downhill. Fermented orange juice with a faint wood component almost of tree bark. Skunk. Carbon dioxized air and "some" yeast.

(2) Taste is where it gets into a dead beer composing and masquerading as fermented bad orange or grapefruit juice. It's almost tasting a bad mimosa made with cheap stale champagne.

(2) Mouthfeel is nonexistent and watery, nearly NO finish of any texture but more of the citrus watery taste leaving in your mouth of weak orange juice. Watered down citrus fruit juice.

(2) I Don't get it. Sure Saisons are different and the Urthel was at least enjoyable and drinkable, heck even so was Saison Du Pont as much as I didn't care for that but this is just a giant question mark. Drinkability is highly influenced on all these factors but also on price. This beer is NOT cheap and I would try it again ironically just to see if I had a bad bottle, but somehow I doubt it. Problem is I will never try this again with my own money it's just not worth it. So unless you are a big Saison fan steer clear of this thing by a country mile. (3,380 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +1.7%

Purchased at K & L Wine Merchants in Redwood City, CA. Brought back to Australia to share with Sam & Rich as part of our Fantôme tasting day.

Pours an incredibly dense and cloudy deep golden colour, with a fine bubbled and reasonably frothy head of pure white. Minimal lacing, and carbonation. Looks decent enough. I like the colour and the haze.

Acidic, vinous and oaky on the nose, with dusty organic characters and a slight herbal uplift. Some appleskin characters and a sharp point of phenolic spice. Lots of interest, and a good amount of stylistic Saison aroma.

Taste is oddly balanced between a number of conflicting and slightly unusual flavour vectors. Lots of coppery metallic bite on the front, with the initial flavour of acidity, although not the onrush of tartness on the back. A bready, savoury character comes through as well, and the finish is high on phenols, giving a light astringency. It's sharp in places, smooth in places and acidic in places, but all the characters never seem to blend, they stay separate, merely activating different parts of the palate. Weird.

It's a decent brew, but a weird skew for a Saison. I'm not sure they'll ever top their regular Fantôme Saison in my mind, which is so stylistically perfect it has become the epitome of the style for me, but this is a decent crack at doing something a little different with it. (1,369 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours a slightly hazy dark yellow/light amber color. Has a lightly yeasty aroma with a touch of barnyard funk. The taste has a bit of citrus in it. It has a lemon and lime quality that kind of faintly reminds me of drinking sprite or 7up, but without the sweetness and with a bit of funk. The dry citrus flavor gives it a refreshing quality. The spices use are more subtle than in any other saison I have tasted. The yeasty quality is also subdued which I like because it doesn't overpower the other flavors. Honestly, this is not even my favorite style beer, but this one is pretty great. (589 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -30.3%

A: Quarter inch of sediment in bottom of this green bottle. Pours a yellow orange. Looks incredibly thick like a stout and not like a saison. Nice head.

S: tart, sour, fruity, based on the appearance and smell I want to sink my teeth into it.

T: The smell was deceiving. It tastes nothing like the smell. I feel the alcohol up front, and frankly it is too strong. This reminds me of bad tequila. It has a peppery after burn redolent of tequila. Pipe tobacco.

M: This had a lot of cloudy yeast floating around in it, but this did not impact the mouth feel too much. It did not come across as overly thick or gritty and the carbonation was pleasant.

This is the third Fantome I have had, and of the three it is my least favorite. I appreciate experimentation in beers and love finding new flavors in traditional styles of beer. However, this was not pleasant. It is my understanding that this is their winter beer. I just picked up the bottle so maybe this is old and from last winter, which impacted the taste. In any case, I have been real disappointed with Fantome. For the price, there are numerous other saisons you can try. (1,135 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -13.4%

pours a nice yellowish orange color with three fingers worth of big white creamy head. smell is mostly lemon and grass with just a tad of funk in the background. taste on the other hand is nothing but dirty funk with some spice and lemon in the background. this tastes like dirt to me. mouthfeel is thin and crisp with a dirty inish and some warmness from the booze, a lot more heat than i would expect from an 8% beer. overall, fantome is just not my thing. i've enjoyed many other saisons that were head and shoulders above these guys, imho. (543 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

750ml served into a Duvel tulip

A - Pours a hazy golden brass with 3 fingers of eggshell head that clings to the glass.

S - Lemon was the first thing I smelled when I popped the cork. Dank and sour lemon peels, sweet malt, lemon pound cake, and dry hay, dried apricots, lavender and other herbal notes in the background. Basement funk is clean buts it's clean if that makes any sense. Maybe it's the lemon.

T - Spicy Belgian yeast, lemons, pears, apples, honey, the malts seem very sweet and bready but there is plenty of spice play to offset it. Almost has a lactic tartness to it. The spice seems floral and builds all the way to the finish before turning herbal for a very dry finish. Has an herbal/lemon/medicinal aftertaste.

M - Heavy side of medium body with ample creamy carbonation.

This one is heavily spiced and sweeter than expected. Think spicy lemon pound cake. Funk is there but it's mild. This is a different animal warm so let it sit a bit. Also if you pour the sediment at the end, stone and some tropical fruit really come out and I think it actually makes it better. (Review is from no sediment) (1,119 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

Split a 750ml poured into a dfh snifter

A: pours a hazy golden amber with two fingers of fluffy white head after a gentle pour. The head remains forever.... Slowly dissapating and leaving a ton of sticky lacing, this is a really nice looking beer.

S: lots of citrus, along with some hay like notes and some barnyard funk, there are some grassy notes in there as well, with the grassiness I also get a light vinous aroma that is reminiscent of white wine, earthy/grassy sauv blanc. There is some deffinate bready yeastyness to the aroma as well along with a deffinate skunkyness.

T: starts off light and citrusy and vinous, I get notes of lemon, apple and pear, there is a distinct skunkyness to this as well, some grassy notes, and a touch of earthy melons on the end, I do not find the yeast to be overly spicy, everything seems parti yearly well balanced.

M: a nice full creamy mouthfeel with a bh e moderate carbonation with just the right amount of crisp bite to keep this brew from getting viscous and syrupy.

O: a good saison, I am not a huge fan of the style, but this I s more manageable for me then most, I think it is because although the yeast elimant is deffinatly there it is not overwhelimg, there are not loads of clove or bannan peel. This was nicley done. (1,278 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2006 bottle, poured into a Hill Farmstead stem on 12/19/12. Score is based upon this vintage.

Pour: Hazy, burnt orange with three fingers of light copper head. Leaves okay lacing, and the head hangs around for a decent amount of time.

Smell: Big lactic tartness up front on the nose, with some lemon pith and pear skins. A nice burnt caramel comes in to balace the fruity and lactic tones. Great hay funk.

Taste: Follows the nose, but improves it. Big lemon tartness and a superb funk hit to start. A sweet molasses and caramel balance, but in just the right amount - sweet would be the last word I would use to describe this. Nice lactic sourness. Some funky eggs. Finishes tart with lemons and a nice dryness.

Mouthfeel: Really nice and drinkable. Good carb, and great tartness. Can get very slightly cloying if you drink too fast (which is a dilemma because it taste SO good and is dry). Finishes dry.

Overall: This was amazing. I've heard good things about vintage Fantome, and this just confirmed all of them.
---

2011 bottle poured into a tulip.

Pour: Hazy straw orange body with three fingers of slightly off white, incredibly puffy head. Finally recedes to a thin head, and leaves really sticky lacing. A flawless looking beer in my opinion. (5.0)

Smell: Heavy yeast breadyness, with a lemon zest and grassiness in the background. A slight funk and pepper are in there as well. (4.0)

Taste: Very, very bready yeast with a very hefty lemon zest. These flavor really dominate the palate, with some pepper, funk, and grassy hops mixed in on the back. (4.0)

Mouthfeel: Very drinkable, and this goes down quick and easy. Lemon zest isn't too cloying. (4.5)

Overall: A pretty good saison, and one I'd get again. I look forward to having more Fantomes in the future. (4.5) (1,784 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

Purchased and consumed bottle at Avenue Pub, NOLA. Pours a hazy orange golden with nice head and lacing into a Fin du Monde tulip. Really nice peppery citrus funk aromas. Really spicy on the nose. Superb spicy pepper flavors, good citrus, funk, hop, and slight booze. Great mouthfeel and not quite as dry as most saisons and very robust. Very thirst quenching and a perfectly balanced saison with a lot of character. Fantome is simply amazing. This is truly what a saison should be, but with a little more personality. (518 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured from the bottle into a Unibroue tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy orangish golden color with a half finger of fluffy, off white head that fades to a thin layer and sticks around while you drink your beer.

Smell: There us a strong yeast smell along with juicy fruit notes. I'm also getting a mild tartness that reminds me of white wine. Very fruity and lively.

Taste: Lives up to the smell. The tartness is more prevalent here than it was in the smell. White wine and yeast along with some fruit notes. Just enough sweetness. The tartness continues through the finish with a really mild bitter note that I assume is from the hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with very aggressive, tingly carbonation and a very dry finish.

Overall: Another winner from Fantome. I just love the fruity notes that makes this brewery so special. Several layers of flavor, quite complex. (878 characters)

Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - Hiver from Brasserie Fantôme