Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - Hiver - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - HiverFantôme Saison D'Erezée - Hiver

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 02-19-2003)
3.83/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Tasting at biegaman's place with grub, viggo, lexx, blankboy (RB), and tupalev (RB). I didn't write down who brought what, unfortunately, so thanks everyone!

Poured a semi-opaque golden orange. Aroma is slightly spicy floral hops with hint of tangerine. Flavour is sour, funky, and very nice. Mild leather, and some coppery/metallic flavours (like pennies). Excellent, heavy mouthfeel that's thick but not oily. Mild lemon and tonic aftertaste. My first Fantome (but not my last!)

crwills, Jun 03, 2007
3.98/5  rDev +0.5%

Had this at a tasting hosted by biegaman, and this one was contributed by Viggo. Thanks, Eric!
This poured a slightly orangey, lightly cloudy apple cider color with a small, dense white head.
The scent was mostly metallic, funky sour, with some minor hops, cherry and just a bit of tangerine. Rather pleasant.
The taste was pleasant, nice and sour and quite funky, with a little bit of cherry.
The mouthfeel was quite chewy, but not in the usual way. I'm not entirely sure how to describe it, but I felt like I had eaten fruit afterwards. Over all, quite nice.

Lexx, May 29, 2007
3.58/5  rDev -9.6%

group tasting may 26/07 with biegaman, Viggo, Lexx, crwills, blankboy@RB, tupalev@RB, and me (grub). everybody threw something into the mix and we had a great lineup of beer. Viggo contributed this one, so thanks eric!

750ml bottle, capped and corked.

pours reddish orange with a small dense white head. the head drops fast and leaves some spotty lace behind.

aroma is nice. light orange and spice. bit of alcohol. reminds me of a christmas cake.

taste is nice. christmas cake again. light orange citrus. low bitterness level. bit of spice.

mouthfeel is good. medium carbonation level. nice medium body with a fairly dry finish.

drinkability is good. well balanced and interesting, though not quite to my taste.

grub, May 27, 2007
3.98/5  rDev +0.5%

This is maybe the oddest tasting beer I've had from Fantome. Its still good, its just that its profile is a little different. Pours a medium amber with a moderate wispy hhead that fades to a thin cap. Little lacing. The smell is a huge whallop off grains of paradise- peppery, somewhat earthy, a little citrusy. The taste is similar with addded notes of basil and tomato- my wife thought it tasted like a pizza with a particularly tangy cheese! Very unusual. Its relatively lemony as well and pretty thin in the mouth, so its not heavy at all and still quite reffreshing. Its almost impossible to believe that this is 8% alcohol. I think this one is a nice match foor a light summer dinner as it seems to cry out for food.

Georgiabeer, May 21, 2007
3.7/5  rDev -6.6%

The green 750 ml. Bomber design, and the capped and corked seal were typical Fantôme. When poured into a tulip glass, the beer looked hazy orange, and the head atop it was tall and proud. The smell was floral and laid back, and was a little bit of a step backwards compared to other products of this brewery. The taste was very dry and showcased a tangy earthy taste, which was possibly resulting from the use of aged hops and some unusual spices. There taste profile was quite unique with such wildly varying flavors like while grape juice, mint, lavender, and sea salt. Very refreshing and easy to drink despite the lack of sweetness, this was definitely not a winter beer. Worked its charm on me, but was not as full bodied as I was expecting. I can't believe that this beer is 8% ABV. There was absolutely no hint of any alcohol in the taste. A bit more bland than other Fantôme beers, but still a good one off release.

rajendra82, May 07, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +3.5%

Dark but clear crimson-orange with a fine ring of lace remaining after a minute or two.

Aroma is spicy, fruity, estery all at once. Maple sugar, plums, over-ripe apples, pepper, and some earthy notes.

Taste: Very dry with strong vinous suggestions at every turn. White grape, mild plum, dry leafy, earthen flavors that reminded me of autumn, not winter. Some cider flavor here and there. Very little of the typical estery belgian yeast that I got in the aroma.

Mild carbonation coupled with dry, unusual flavors make this a very un-beer-like beer. Perhaps the perfect brew to convert a die-hard wine snob -- methinks it would be excellent paired with salmon.

shirfan, May 02, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +9.8%

SLightly hazy, creamy orange color with some subtle toffee hues, 1cm cap for a head. A great, glowing appearance. The aroma was quite spicy and peppery, fresh grass and earth, sweet sugary malt with some fruity citrus notes. The taste is sour-spicy and tingles on the touge at first sip, but the silky, soothing liquid slides right down easily. Cut grass, soil, and musty farmhouse notes are there, along with some citrusy lemon grass, and spices like coriander. The malt is fairly rich and has a few layers. A good mix of tart/spicy/citrusy flavors along with sweetness almost brown sugar that helps sooth it out. Some fruity notes show up in the aftertaste too, apple peel, strawberry, and peach.

Overall: most impressive. Gentile mix of flavors, not super complex, but with an incredible silky mouthfeel, and an oragne glow that makes it look great. The slight sourness add alot to the tangy, spicy flavors, but this beer stays smooth and malty. A lot going on over the backdrop of musty, farmhouse soil. Probably not something you have to put at the top of your list, but it wont disappoint.

dfried, Apr 20, 2007
2.93/5  rDev -26%

I'm usually a big fan of Fantome, but this was was a bit too much for me handle.

It poured an attractive Garnet/Rust color with little to no head. lacing is light. The inviting color was the best thing about the beer IMHO.

The smells were of orange rind and pine with a hint of tea. It's not a wholly unpleasant smell, just not too appetizing to me.

Tastes of unsweetened tea with some citrus. There are some spices in there, but they are hard for me to pick out. . . pepper?

All this aside, I still find myself enjoying it. I guess that's part of the magic of Fantome. I still wouldn't say it is highly drinkable.

I'll try it again next year.

BitterBrian, Mar 02, 2007
3.68/5  rDev -7.1%

Close one; I popped the crown off to find a small layer beer vinegar sitting above the cork, hopefully not a precurser to the rest of the bottle. The cork comes out with much effort, almost ripping it in half in the process. Finally, the last bit budges, exiting with a small pop, and the beer begins to foam. Thank God! My hands and the bottle are now completely covered in sticky old beer, but the rest of the bottle seems to be fine.

Artsy looking dark tan beer with an enthusiastic head. On the nose there is a tangy tart funkiness, a bit of vinegar reminding me of salad dressing, and light spices like corriander, curry, and clove. The beer equivilant of roasted wild game with all the trimmings. There is a resemblance to English barleywine.

Tartness takes over at first, but is soon dominated by the dense maltyness. Residual sweetness? Never; the finish is dry as a bone. Slight oxidation, which brings with it some dullness to the complexity. The barleywine component is here too; reminds me of Old Nick with a Belgian twist. Lets see...I detect sour fruit (maybe cherries), foie gras, dust, Brettanomyces, and a whole melting pot of other notes. Reminds me of an un-intimidating gueuze ale with a major grain bill. Very woody. Alcohol and hops are dectectible, if you know where to look for them. Warm in my stomach but not my throat.

Mouthfeel is very pleasing, with plently of bubbles which add some spice. Before long the head dissappeared, but enough CO2 is still dissolved to carry this complex ale with a heavy body (not a touch too heavy, though). Chalky. Half the bottle is getting the best of me, so drinability is low dispite the enjoyability.

Not my favorite offering from this brewery, although I'm not complaining. I wish I knew what it took to make beers like this. Cheers!

[edit] It's 2 hours later and I'm still working on it...I need to add that the temp is now ambient, which has made the drinkability much higher. The flavors are blending in perfect harmony. I've changed my ratings to reflect this.

rayjay, Feb 03, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Dark turmeric with a candy apple blush. The beer looks very good and the crown of foam looks fantastic. It's pale beige with a pastel orange tint and is more dense than the heads on most Belgian beer. In fact, it looks like something one might see on an IPA. Shredded sheets of lace stick with authority.

How in the world does Mr. Prignon manage to recreate the seasons so faithfully in his beer? Hiver smells like winter potpourri, but in a good, beer-like way. Spices are clearly in charge, as they so often are in the Fantome saisons. It's difficult for me to make any sort of a positive identification. Cedar? Balsam? Sandlewood? Cotton candy? While I'm sure all are wildly off the mark, the nose couldn't be more on the mark.

No brewer in world puts out such consistently odd, yet such consistently delicious beer as Brasserie Fantome. It's instantly recognizable to aficionados and tastes like absolutely nothing else. Hiver's flavor profile is an almost exact match of its nose. That means, of course, that it's tremendously spicy. My fear is that it might become a little wearing by the time I reach the 700 ml mark.

I can see how a spice load this aggressive might be a polarizer. Count me a definite member of the cathode (positive pole) rather than the anode (negative pole). Each sip is truly electric! There's no way in the world I can adequately describe what I'm tasting, so I'll have to go with free association. I'd like to know what's in here, but that would spoil the fun; like learning how a magician performs his tricks.

The flavor profile has an spicy, herbal, woodsy vibe. It tastes like balsam, cedar, cinnamon, nutmeg and coriander. Who am I kidding? Those are my best guesses, but I've come to the conclusion that Fantome beer isn't meant to be dissected, it's meant to be enjoyed. That isn't a problem since I've been enjoying it since the first mouthful. The typical sourness is nicely supported by an early sweetness and a late bitterness. This stuff is too complex for words.

The mouthfeel is the only chink in the armor, although it's really more of a minor dent. I like it a lot, it just doesn't measure up to the excellence of the rest of the beer. It's a couple notches short of medium and has a pleasing slickness on the back end. A few more bubbles might have resulted in a more expansive, more lightly creamy mouthfeel.

Fantome Saison-Hiver might just be the most unorthodox beer that I've ever had from this most unorthodox of breweries. With the exception of Saison, and the possible exception of Brise Bons-Bons!, it's also the best. I've heard that Dany changes the recipes on his saisons from year to year. I have no idea what year I have before me (2005 is my best guess), but I'd say he picked a winning combination this time around.

BuckeyeNation, Feb 02, 2007
3.88/5  rDev -2%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy burnt orange with a poor head and spotty lacing

Smell: Crazy aroma of rotting melon, lychee, tart apples and, unfortunately, acetone

Taste: Starts out with a tart honeydew flavor that is joined by a bitter balsa wood flavor that becomes increasingly dominant; after the swallow, the balsa wood flavor persists and overwhelms the fruit; there is a touch of something herbacious, like cardamom, in there as well

Mouthfeel: Light body with low carbonation

Drinkability: Intriguing, but not as tasty as some of the other Fantômes in the lineup

brentk56, Jan 24, 2007
4.08/5  rDev +3%

Capped and corked 750ml bottle poured into a tulip glass. Pours an orangish amber color with a large off-white head. The aroma is dry and floral that is malty and has some citrus, must and all of the farmhouse aromas that I have come to love from beers of this style. The taste is a bit sour and musty with some nice fruity flavors and a bit of peppery spice and hops. I would have liked the mouthfeel to have possessed a little more depth but it does not detract from the brew that much. Overall, this is another great beer from one of my favorite breweries. Definitely recommended to anyone looking for a great saison.

cjgator3, Jan 19, 2007
4.85/5  rDev +22.5%

A- Big off white head on a pretty clear dark orange/amber body with brown hues in it. Leaves a nice decent size head.
S- Big European hop character. Fruit like cherries and a hint of lime and maybe orange? Some caramel malts to balance it out and maybe even a bit earthy. A couple other things I can't manage to pin point too.
T- There is a lot going on in the flavor so I'm going to do my best to see if I can point out each individual one. Cheers, Belgium sugar?, caramel malts, hints of orange and lemon, bit floral hops (not much though), and it's sort of candish. It's very well balance and very complex.
M- Medium to thin body with low carbonation making it a very nice smooth beer.
D- This beer is just amazing. It's so easy to drink but at the same time so much going on in it. This could be a sipper or just a great beer to drink easily (just watch out since it's 8.00% abv). I think this just has so much going on in it and it is just excellently made. Right now I think if I had to only drink one more beer it would be this one just since I can see it covering most occasions. Shame it's not easier to get and cheaper. The only reason I didn't give this straight 5's is because I can see it getting a tiny bit better but I'm not sure how. I wish I could make it a 4.99.

BlindPig, Jan 12, 2007
3.83/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a strong, super thick two-finger head. Looks a bit like bread in color and consistancy. The retention is awesome. The deep, deep amber, rust color helps bring out the sno capped head, bread-dough head gain so much appeal to me. The bubbles are a little hard to see in the deep amber, but look very nice amidst the light yeast suspension. The aroms is lightly tart and mildly malty. Gives the presence of tart melons. The taste laclkks on the fruit so to speak. Can still detect some tart honeydew. But the main stay is some light red, grapes. Musty and eartthy malts and hops. Very natural taste to this beer. Was very nice to sip while watching Super Size Me.

scruffwhor, Jan 05, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +12.4%

Pours a cloudy rich copper color with plenty of yeasy floaties and miniscule carbonation bubbles. The head is shortlived but produces a generous sheets of lace. The aroma is grainy with wet straw, whole grain bread with honey, stewed fruit, lemon and wild yeast. The taste is fruity and tart. Lemon and sour apple mixes with grainy malts, peppercorns, enigmatic spices and flowery hop essence. The mouthfeel is very full and thick, almost chewy. Carbonation is low and very smooth. The finish is subtly spicey, a little tart and quite long. Alcohol is non existent throughout.

My first Fantome and I am very impressed. Very complex and hard to describe.

CAMRAhardliner, Dec 16, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +11.9%

Appearance was very nice poured into a tulip glass, ruby red in color with a 1 finger tan head that stayed for a good while before settling to a nice film on top, and nice lacing around the glass.
Smell had hints of caramel, vanilla, spices, and a faint touch of fruit which all blended very well.
Taste has the vanilla and spices still there, with bitter oranges and pepper dominating the back of my tongue more bread and funky yeast coming out as this warms.
Mouthfeel this beer has a strange silky feeling from the vanilla and yeast on the front of my tongue, but the bitterness from the spices and fruit in the back of my mouth keeps me wondering what I will experience next.
Drinkability since this is the second time was able to enjoy this beer once in January and now today, I think this beer was really done right. I will be looking for this again when it is released this year and hopefully I am lucky enough to do the same comparison again.

BRoss242, Dec 09, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +3.5%

Since we're finally getting some bitterly cold and blustery weather around these parts lately I decided it was time to open up last year's Fantôme Saison D’Erezée Hiver that I picked up on sale in May or June. Like all Fantôme bottles, this one is crowned and corked. Served at cellar temperture into an Ommegang cervoise, this year-old winter offering is mahogany-bronze with a substantial amount of suspended yeast particulates and a modest greyish-white foam cap. The nose reveals a familiar Fantôme tart green apple funk with white pepper and slight uric acid notes. It smells "dry" if that makes any sense. However, this dryness does not carry over into the flavor. There is more of a demure sugary malt presence that takes over after a noticeable but overall meager lemon-tart smack at the very beginning of the sip. There is a definite Granny Smith apple character to the flavor, but more along the lines of a green apple Jolly Rancher interpolation. Sugary but not too sweet. Light, playful, and just barely slick mouthfeel. Low carbonation. Some dark leafy vegetal notes come through in the taste as it warms. This is a solidly drinkable beer, as are all the beers I've sampled from this brewery. Seems more appropriate for late winter than for late fall, when I drank it.

orfeu, Dec 07, 2006
4.13/5  rDev +4.3%

This brew pours a hazy ruby color. It's a bit darker than other saisons I have tired, but attractive none the less. The head is mamouth in size and lasts forever. The aroma is of orange, plum, honey, yeast and earth. The taste is more earthy than the aroma with the fruit and honey lingering in the background. The finish is mildly, but noticably hot. The mouthfeel is very much too style: light bodied and dry with a high level of carbonation. Overall, this is a very good beer that I would love to drink again. However, I would still rather have regular Fantôme, or Fantôme Saison D’Erezée - Été as I think they both were a little more complex.

KarlHungus, Nov 07, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +8.1%

Appearance: pours a hazy coppoer color with a 1" head that slowly fell to a thick surface foam. Spotty lacing developed.

Smell: vanilla, spices, and yeast are easily detectable by the nose.

Taste: yeast, green grapes, pepper, and vanilla are wrapped in a spicy and mildly tart citrus blanket. Mild bitterenss and hints of alcohol are noticeable.

Mouthfeel: very crisp. Medium bodied. Short aftertaste.

Drinkability: very flavorful and quite a different brew overall. Easy to drink and should be a must buy if you see it on the shelves.

Gavage, Sep 27, 2006
3.78/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours a hazy brown/orange, thin off white head forms, sticks to the glass, good retention. Smell is sweet and caramel, minor funk, spices, yeasty. Taste is lots of caramel, spice punch, little bit of vanilla and citrus, some sourness at the end. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. Not bad, but after the Fantome Saison this one was a bit lacklustre.

Viggo, Sep 14, 2006

Bottle: Poured a dirty dark yellow color ale with a small foamy head with minimal retention. Aroma of weird spice mix with some strong Saaz hops. Taste is incredibly dry probably from the mix of spices and hops but doesn’t really excite my taste buds. Body is about average and carbonation is quite low. Not bad but just doesn’t provide the magic that I usually find in Fantome beers.

Phyl21ca, Sep 05, 2006
3.9/5  rDev -1.5%

Light hazy brown with a very modest tan head. A little reticent as far as aroma goes, faint unidentifiable spice with mild citrus, dried fruits. A touch sour upfront, very earthy, somewhat musty, some dark fruity esters, candied orange peel, subdued yet sweet doughy malts and a touch of soy. Plus an added spice component that i can't put a finger on. Alcoholic spice through the back end, finishes a little dry. Really unusual. Medium bodied with fairly low carbonation. Almost the sort of carbonation I look for in my stouts. Alcohol is present, but not a hindrance. Weird, but good.

numenor1, Aug 05, 2006
Photo of
4.18/5  rDev +5.6%

Opened up a 750ml bottle and received a cascade of foam. Following clean up, it poured a light brown/amber color with a slight haze due to some yeast I stirred up in my fumbling. The smell was earthy and yeast at first, the some type of spice, a whiff of alcohol, and finally a perfume/rose note. Taste was not as complex as the smell, with a tart citrus being the most apparent. You also got a bit of sweetness from the malt, and finished with a little pepper for seasoning. Mouthfeel was medium in body, and, surprise, carbonation was pretty high. I really liked this beer and found it very drinkable.

, Jul 08, 2006
3.9/5  rDev -1.5%

Reddish plum color with slight haze, fair bubbling. Head is short and doesn't last too long. Aroma is medium strong, with earthy notes, cherry and other dark fruit, and light spice. The flavor begins very subtly and lightly sour. It improves toward the finish which is rather dry and bready. Not much sweetness overall so I have to give credit for being very true to the style. The taste is not that strong, but its interesting and hard to discern. Mouthfeel is slightly thin, with lower carbonation, not bad. This was suprisingly very drinkable. Not one of Fantome's best but a nice saison...

bennetj17, Jun 09, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +9.8%

Pouring a creamy but thin off-white head, the plum/caramel color helps make this a great looker. The bubble activity was simply fascinating. While there was constant effervesence, a second body seemed to be moving around in the liquid. It's probably sediment, just what exactly I'm not sure, but I know I've never seen a beer quite like it. Great start.

The aroma is also totally unique. A bit mysterious, hard to close in on. Vinuous in general, but with a grape-iness that mingles with scents of leather and spoiled dark fruits. I'm also reminded of mushrooms marinated in a wine sauce. The yeast here produces some wacky traits. I like!

The flavor is not surprising after taking several whiffs, but it is indeed wild. Mirroring the aroma, it lays out a barnyard funk at the beginning of the sip, and also reminds of a variety of warm, overripe dark fruits: pomegranate, plum, grape, and even a peppery zing. There's even a bready heartiness here. The finish offers a long-lasting sourness. Lots going on here. Clearly a complex, fascinating, delicious, compelling beer.

Metalmonk, May 29, 2006