Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - Hiver - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - HiverFantôme Saison D'Erezée - Hiver

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 02-19-2003)
3.68/5  rDev -7.1%

probably not the best beer from this brewery to try first. I picked this up wanting to explore the saison / farmhouse ale style further. A - rich golden amber beer, nice solid carbonation with a thick white head. Neat cork under a cap bottle as well.
S - sort of funky yeasty not quite skunky with a strong secondary orange / tangerine / leather note.
T - served close to room temp and hard to describe. Similar to the aroma - sort of funky yeasty, dry caramel malts with a strong secondary orange / tangerine / leather effect.
M - medium bodied, high carbonation level (not fizzy), sharp pungent and dry in the finish.
D - a taste adventure. even now typing this I'm at odds with this one. On many level's it's intriguing, inviting and many layered. On the other hand it's got a weaving in and out herbal orange note which I might prefer more as a tea with honey.

2.7/5  rDev -31.8%

While I understand the saison/farmhouse ale style is a mile-wide, this beer struck me as having pretty significant similarities to a barley-wine, although not a great one. It has an intensely malty flavor and lots of alcohol esters, but I didn’t really enjoy it.

This beer poured a rather unimpressive hazy orange brown with a soapy head. The beer had little to no aroma to speak of. The flavor reminded me a great deal of barley-wine like flavor in that it had a slightly sweet malty, alcohol ester-y, astringency to it with some intensity. However, mouthfeel was thin and I wasn’t really all that taken with the beer overall.

Not recommended.

4.6/5  rDev +16.2%

A - Dark apple-cider like appearance, with lots of head and no lacing. Not bad, not great...

S - The aroma seems to focus on fruit (apricot, prune, banana), with some spice (Jamaican Jerk spices), but every time I seem to spell something a little different... This is fun, what beer is all about.

T - Started out very tart, apricot and grape, black current focus, with strong alcohol notes in the finish, and a brown sugar quality in the finish. As it warmed I picked up more malt in the entry, with a more floral quality in the mid palate, and more fruit (grape/pear) in the finish. Again, all over the place with this beer, Wonderful complexity.

M - Nothing really too exciting here. The bottle I got was not really crisp, not really flat, not thick or thin, a little silky do to the alcohol, but nothing to write home about...

D - I just noticed that I'm killing off a bottle of this stuff by myself... Thank God it's a cool night, this will warm me right up. This is just what one is looking for when one picks up a Fantome, something to relax and ponder...

4.1/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - Very large, slightly brownish white, head on top of a dark orange body. Good lace, decent retention.

S - Sour with some peppery yeast aromas and a bit of caramel. Slight herbal note, maybe oregano.

T - Pungent sourness followed shortly by savory, earthy spiciness. Pepper, lemon zest, sage, and cumin. The hops only show themselves in the finish, where they contribute an appropriately herbal, earthy hop character that lingers on the palate after everything else has faded.

M - Full, rich mouth-feel with a bit more residual sweetness than I would normally expect. Moderate to low carbonation.

D - Although the aroma is a bit weak, I rather like this beer. It displays a wide range of savory flavors that you rarely find in a beer, even a saison. I really get the feeling that this deserves to be paired with a creatively marinaded pork chop and some roasted carrots.

3.6/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

750ml
$11.49
Binny's Orland

Hiver pours surprisingly clear for the first glassful and surprisingly it's a bright glowing copper. Tinycarbonation bubbles stream up the sides of the glass to the 2+ finger head. The head shrunk to a thick creamy cap of off-white. Leaves sheet lacing down the glass..

The smell of this saison is craziness. I can't hardly figure out what the aromas even are. Definately some dry and wet musty hay. Damp wood. Cobwebs and dirt along with a field that is on the brink of making me sneeze. I don't know what to make of the aroma. As it warms the aroma softens.

Flavor is along the same lines as the aroma. Still has all that old barn character but the flavors meld moreso than the aroma. On the finish there's a pleasant fruity sweetness (peach) along with a caramalized malt character.

Medium bodied with a creamy texture. lively carbonation tickles the tongue and cheeks.

The interesyting flavors really work your mouth. A couple glasses in a sitting is enough for me but it is disappearing quickly.

This beer is really throwing me for a loop. I can't make up my mind if I love it or hate it. It's definately funky and interesting. I wish I knew what went into making this beer, I'm sure I'd be surprised if I looked at an ingrediants list. The flavors and aromas really evolve as this beer sits.

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

This may be my shortest review...I don't know what I just drank. I can't begin to describe it. No idea what the spices were. Some sour, some funky tartness. A bit thin, but still highly drinkable. I think I need another bottle...Maybe two. I liked it.

3.88/5  rDev -2%

Pours out a hazyorange marmalade colour with a creamy off white head billowing up the glass. Smell- is sour with a hint of skunk. Taste- earthy, very dry and metallic. There is some nice citrus here- lime, pear and applel. Hops are noticable with the dryness otherwise muted and somewhat grassy. Spicy- not sure what exact spices are there. Drinkability- no booziness at all. Thin body , medium carbonation makes for an easier drinker. Not sure about the metallic and earth (dirt) tastes, but damn interesting beer.

4.05/5  rDev +2.3%

750ml green bottle with the familiar ghost label. Marked for freshness, but no dates were notched on this bottle. Likely a 2006 or 2007 release since the earliest printed best-before year is 2007.

Pours clear dark-copper & chestnut with thin head that recedes more quickly than usual for Fantôme. The aroma is spicy and yeast heavy; dry leaves, coriander, orange peel, and black pepper with tart lemon fruit backdrop. In flavor, more overtly sweet and fruity than other bottles sampled in past. The orange, lemon, and lime over-tones are initially sweet, developing slight tartness in the finish as the pepper and other spices come to the foreground. Touches of rough hop and good toasted malt in the finish. Flavor is pleasing, but somewhat short-lasting. Body is clean, moderately light. The carbonation is restrained and malt presence becomes slightly syrupy as the beer warms. Nice, but not outstanding like some of the other Fantôme seasonal brews.

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

Presentation: 750ml bottle in a tulip glass

BAside: my son kept asking "When are you gonna drink the ghost beer?" :)

Uncorked with a POP that would wake the dead, or worse yet the aforementioned sleeping son....geeze.

Poured with energy, life, surging, some strength to it. Dull, slightly sour nose, wet rocks, grapes, summer fields, an old abandoned barn, stale ginger candy. With some air I'm getting honey and faint spices. A fat 2 fingers of mixed scrimshaw ivory foam settled slowly to a thin blanket with some edge lacing. Subsequent refills of the tulip restored the head to a very fat finger's worth with a slow fading back to a covering. The color is stunning - thick, clouded, hazy, the perfect burnt orange hue, its radiant.

Its light, creamy, even, a sour candied sweetness, not bittersweet but more "bittersour" with a sweet accent. Its odd that while tart its not puckerish at all. Semi-dry with a somewhat ciderlike feel and a back of the mouth crunchiness, the sweet quality is elusive & hard to pin down, but its there keeping everything in balance. This is not revealing itself in any hurry, which is cool. I am enjoying the casual, relaxed, end of day quality it evokes, not out of strength of the brew but rather the "mood" of the beer.

With a little more air & warmth it starts to get a little more bittersweet as the tartness fades. Its growing faintly spicier, a bit yeasty, but still very even & balanced in a peculiar bitter-sour-sweet menage a trois la taste, which means Dany is appealing to 3 of the 4 sensations the human tongue can taste/infer....clever lil' ghost.

With the bittersweetness comes some earthiness (I must admit any alcohol is completely hidden from taste, only revealing itself in a faint, cool glow wringing my teeth with a dull aura). It actually takes on faint vinegar-like aspects on the palate, nibbling not biting, spices like cinnamon and old ginger peek out, then it finishes a little syrupy, slightly silty, bittersweet, leaving a surprisingly clean aftertaste that is coating, numbing and echoing of yesterday's bread today in bready sweetness.

A beautifully crafted, very coy, seductive "burlesque beer". I really enjoy the slow pace it set, how it subtly evolved, and especially the gestalt of the bittersoursweet triumvirate. Aside from spicy fare I can't say I can't think of any food this wouldn't pair well with, with a special nod to simple fare involving meats & breads. I will make the "D'Erezée" beers of Fantôme part of my celebrations of the seasons. I highly recommend this.

3.83/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Tasting at biegaman's place with grub, viggo, lexx, blankboy (RB), and tupalev (RB). I didn't write down who brought what, unfortunately, so thanks everyone!

Poured a semi-opaque golden orange. Aroma is slightly spicy floral hops with hint of tangerine. Flavour is sour, funky, and very nice. Mild leather, and some coppery/metallic flavours (like pennies). Excellent, heavy mouthfeel that's thick but not oily. Mild lemon and tonic aftertaste. My first Fantome (but not my last!)

3.98/5  rDev +0.5%

Had this at a tasting hosted by biegaman, and this one was contributed by Viggo. Thanks, Eric!
This poured a slightly orangey, lightly cloudy apple cider color with a small, dense white head.
The scent was mostly metallic, funky sour, with some minor hops, cherry and just a bit of tangerine. Rather pleasant.
The taste was pleasant, nice and sour and quite funky, with a little bit of cherry.
The mouthfeel was quite chewy, but not in the usual way. I'm not entirely sure how to describe it, but I felt like I had eaten fruit afterwards. Over all, quite nice.

3.58/5  rDev -9.6%

group tasting may 26/07 with biegaman, Viggo, Lexx, crwills, blankboy@RB, tupalev@RB, and me (grub). everybody threw something into the mix and we had a great lineup of beer. Viggo contributed this one, so thanks eric!

750ml bottle, capped and corked.

pours reddish orange with a small dense white head. the head drops fast and leaves some spotty lace behind.

aroma is nice. light orange and spice. bit of alcohol. reminds me of a christmas cake.

taste is nice. christmas cake again. light orange citrus. low bitterness level. bit of spice.

mouthfeel is good. medium carbonation level. nice medium body with a fairly dry finish.

drinkability is good. well balanced and interesting, though not quite to my taste.

3.98/5  rDev +0.5%

This is maybe the oddest tasting beer I've had from Fantome. Its still good, its just that its profile is a little different. Pours a medium amber with a moderate wispy hhead that fades to a thin cap. Little lacing. The smell is a huge whallop off grains of paradise- peppery, somewhat earthy, a little citrusy. The taste is similar with addded notes of basil and tomato- my wife thought it tasted like a pizza with a particularly tangy cheese! Very unusual. Its relatively lemony as well and pretty thin in the mouth, so its not heavy at all and still quite reffreshing. Its almost impossible to believe that this is 8% alcohol. I think this one is a nice match foor a light summer dinner as it seems to cry out for food.

3.7/5  rDev -6.6%

The green 750 ml. Bomber design, and the capped and corked seal were typical Fantôme. When poured into a tulip glass, the beer looked hazy orange, and the head atop it was tall and proud. The smell was floral and laid back, and was a little bit of a step backwards compared to other products of this brewery. The taste was very dry and showcased a tangy earthy taste, which was possibly resulting from the use of aged hops and some unusual spices. There taste profile was quite unique with such wildly varying flavors like while grape juice, mint, lavender, and sea salt. Very refreshing and easy to drink despite the lack of sweetness, this was definitely not a winter beer. Worked its charm on me, but was not as full bodied as I was expecting. I can't believe that this beer is 8% ABV. There was absolutely no hint of any alcohol in the taste. A bit more bland than other Fantôme beers, but still a good one off release.

4.1/5  rDev +3.5%

Dark but clear crimson-orange with a fine ring of lace remaining after a minute or two.

Aroma is spicy, fruity, estery all at once. Maple sugar, plums, over-ripe apples, pepper, and some earthy notes.

Taste: Very dry with strong vinous suggestions at every turn. White grape, mild plum, dry leafy, earthen flavors that reminded me of autumn, not winter. Some cider flavor here and there. Very little of the typical estery belgian yeast that I got in the aroma.

Mild carbonation coupled with dry, unusual flavors make this a very un-beer-like beer. Perhaps the perfect brew to convert a die-hard wine snob -- methinks it would be excellent paired with salmon.

4.35/5  rDev +9.8%

SLightly hazy, creamy orange color with some subtle toffee hues, 1cm cap for a head. A great, glowing appearance. The aroma was quite spicy and peppery, fresh grass and earth, sweet sugary malt with some fruity citrus notes. The taste is sour-spicy and tingles on the touge at first sip, but the silky, soothing liquid slides right down easily. Cut grass, soil, and musty farmhouse notes are there, along with some citrusy lemon grass, and spices like coriander. The malt is fairly rich and has a few layers. A good mix of tart/spicy/citrusy flavors along with sweetness almost brown sugar that helps sooth it out. Some fruity notes show up in the aftertaste too, apple peel, strawberry, and peach.

Overall: most impressive. Gentile mix of flavors, not super complex, but with an incredible silky mouthfeel, and an oragne glow that makes it look great. The slight sourness add alot to the tangy, spicy flavors, but this beer stays smooth and malty. A lot going on over the backdrop of musty, farmhouse soil. Probably not something you have to put at the top of your list, but it wont disappoint.

2.93/5  rDev -26%

I'm usually a big fan of Fantome, but this was was a bit too much for me handle.

It poured an attractive Garnet/Rust color with little to no head. lacing is light. The inviting color was the best thing about the beer IMHO.

The smells were of orange rind and pine with a hint of tea. It's not a wholly unpleasant smell, just not too appetizing to me.

Tastes of unsweetened tea with some citrus. There are some spices in there, but they are hard for me to pick out. . . pepper?

All this aside, I still find myself enjoying it. I guess that's part of the magic of Fantome. I still wouldn't say it is highly drinkable.

I'll try it again next year.

3.68/5  rDev -7.1%

Close one; I popped the crown off to find a small layer beer vinegar sitting above the cork, hopefully not a precurser to the rest of the bottle. The cork comes out with much effort, almost ripping it in half in the process. Finally, the last bit budges, exiting with a small pop, and the beer begins to foam. Thank God! My hands and the bottle are now completely covered in sticky old beer, but the rest of the bottle seems to be fine.

Artsy looking dark tan beer with an enthusiastic head. On the nose there is a tangy tart funkiness, a bit of vinegar reminding me of salad dressing, and light spices like corriander, curry, and clove. The beer equivilant of roasted wild game with all the trimmings. There is a resemblance to English barleywine.

Tartness takes over at first, but is soon dominated by the dense maltyness. Residual sweetness? Never; the finish is dry as a bone. Slight oxidation, which brings with it some dullness to the complexity. The barleywine component is here too; reminds me of Old Nick with a Belgian twist. Lets see...I detect sour fruit (maybe cherries), foie gras, dust, Brettanomyces, and a whole melting pot of other notes. Reminds me of an un-intimidating gueuze ale with a major grain bill. Very woody. Alcohol and hops are dectectible, if you know where to look for them. Warm in my stomach but not my throat.

Mouthfeel is very pleasing, with plently of bubbles which add some spice. Before long the head dissappeared, but enough CO2 is still dissolved to carry this complex ale with a heavy body (not a touch too heavy, though). Chalky. Half the bottle is getting the best of me, so drinability is low dispite the enjoyability.

Not my favorite offering from this brewery, although I'm not complaining. I wish I knew what it took to make beers like this. Cheers!

[edit] It's 2 hours later and I'm still working on it...I need to add that the temp is now ambient, which has made the drinkability much higher. The flavors are blending in perfect harmony. I've changed my ratings to reflect this.

4.45/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Dark turmeric with a candy apple blush. The beer looks very good and the crown of foam looks fantastic. It's pale beige with a pastel orange tint and is more dense than the heads on most Belgian beer. In fact, it looks like something one might see on an IPA. Shredded sheets of lace stick with authority.

How in the world does Mr. Prignon manage to recreate the seasons so faithfully in his beer? Hiver smells like winter potpourri, but in a good, beer-like way. Spices are clearly in charge, as they so often are in the Fantome saisons. It's difficult for me to make any sort of a positive identification. Cedar? Balsam? Sandlewood? Cotton candy? While I'm sure all are wildly off the mark, the nose couldn't be more on the mark.

No brewer in world puts out such consistently odd, yet such consistently delicious beer as Brasserie Fantome. It's instantly recognizable to aficionados and tastes like absolutely nothing else. Hiver's flavor profile is an almost exact match of its nose. That means, of course, that it's tremendously spicy. My fear is that it might become a little wearing by the time I reach the 700 ml mark.

I can see how a spice load this aggressive might be a polarizer. Count me a definite member of the cathode (positive pole) rather than the anode (negative pole). Each sip is truly electric! There's no way in the world I can adequately describe what I'm tasting, so I'll have to go with free association. I'd like to know what's in here, but that would spoil the fun; like learning how a magician performs his tricks.

The flavor profile has an spicy, herbal, woodsy vibe. It tastes like balsam, cedar, cinnamon, nutmeg and coriander. Who am I kidding? Those are my best guesses, but I've come to the conclusion that Fantome beer isn't meant to be dissected, it's meant to be enjoyed. That isn't a problem since I've been enjoying it since the first mouthful. The typical sourness is nicely supported by an early sweetness and a late bitterness. This stuff is too complex for words.

The mouthfeel is the only chink in the armor, although it's really more of a minor dent. I like it a lot, it just doesn't measure up to the excellence of the rest of the beer. It's a couple notches short of medium and has a pleasing slickness on the back end. A few more bubbles might have resulted in a more expansive, more lightly creamy mouthfeel.

Fantome Saison-Hiver might just be the most unorthodox beer that I've ever had from this most unorthodox of breweries. With the exception of Saison, and the possible exception of Brise Bons-Bons!, it's also the best. I've heard that Dany changes the recipes on his saisons from year to year. I have no idea what year I have before me (2005 is my best guess), but I'd say he picked a winning combination this time around.

3.88/5  rDev -2%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy burnt orange with a poor head and spotty lacing

Smell: Crazy aroma of rotting melon, lychee, tart apples and, unfortunately, acetone

Taste: Starts out with a tart honeydew flavor that is joined by a bitter balsa wood flavor that becomes increasingly dominant; after the swallow, the balsa wood flavor persists and overwhelms the fruit; there is a touch of something herbacious, like cardamom, in there as well

Mouthfeel: Light body with low carbonation

Drinkability: Intriguing, but not as tasty as some of the other Fantômes in the lineup

4.08/5  rDev +3%

Capped and corked 750ml bottle poured into a tulip glass. Pours an orangish amber color with a large off-white head. The aroma is dry and floral that is malty and has some citrus, must and all of the farmhouse aromas that I have come to love from beers of this style. The taste is a bit sour and musty with some nice fruity flavors and a bit of peppery spice and hops. I would have liked the mouthfeel to have possessed a little more depth but it does not detract from the brew that much. Overall, this is another great beer from one of my favorite breweries. Definitely recommended to anyone looking for a great saison.

4.85/5  rDev +22.5%

A- Big off white head on a pretty clear dark orange/amber body with brown hues in it. Leaves a nice decent size head.
S- Big European hop character. Fruit like cherries and a hint of lime and maybe orange? Some caramel malts to balance it out and maybe even a bit earthy. A couple other things I can't manage to pin point too.
T- There is a lot going on in the flavor so I'm going to do my best to see if I can point out each individual one. Cheers, Belgium sugar?, caramel malts, hints of orange and lemon, bit floral hops (not much though), and it's sort of candish. It's very well balance and very complex.
M- Medium to thin body with low carbonation making it a very nice smooth beer.
D- This beer is just amazing. It's so easy to drink but at the same time so much going on in it. This could be a sipper or just a great beer to drink easily (just watch out since it's 8.00% abv). I think this just has so much going on in it and it is just excellently made. Right now I think if I had to only drink one more beer it would be this one just since I can see it covering most occasions. Shame it's not easier to get and cheaper. The only reason I didn't give this straight 5's is because I can see it getting a tiny bit better but I'm not sure how. I wish I could make it a 4.99.

3.83/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a strong, super thick two-finger head. Looks a bit like bread in color and consistancy. The retention is awesome. The deep, deep amber, rust color helps bring out the sno capped head, bread-dough head gain so much appeal to me. The bubbles are a little hard to see in the deep amber, but look very nice amidst the light yeast suspension. The aroms is lightly tart and mildly malty. Gives the presence of tart melons. The taste laclkks on the fruit so to speak. Can still detect some tart honeydew. But the main stay is some light red, grapes. Musty and eartthy malts and hops. Very natural taste to this beer. Was very nice to sip while watching Super Size Me.

4.45/5  rDev +12.4%

Pours a cloudy rich copper color with plenty of yeasy floaties and miniscule carbonation bubbles. The head is shortlived but produces a generous sheets of lace. The aroma is grainy with wet straw, whole grain bread with honey, stewed fruit, lemon and wild yeast. The taste is fruity and tart. Lemon and sour apple mixes with grainy malts, peppercorns, enigmatic spices and flowery hop essence. The mouthfeel is very full and thick, almost chewy. Carbonation is low and very smooth. The finish is subtly spicey, a little tart and quite long. Alcohol is non existent throughout.

My first Fantome and I am very impressed. Very complex and hard to describe.

4.43/5  rDev +11.9%

Appearance was very nice poured into a tulip glass, ruby red in color with a 1 finger tan head that stayed for a good while before settling to a nice film on top, and nice lacing around the glass.
Smell had hints of caramel, vanilla, spices, and a faint touch of fruit which all blended very well.
Taste has the vanilla and spices still there, with bitter oranges and pepper dominating the back of my tongue more bread and funky yeast coming out as this warms.
Mouthfeel this beer has a strange silky feeling from the vanilla and yeast on the front of my tongue, but the bitterness from the spices and fruit in the back of my mouth keeps me wondering what I will experience next.
Drinkability since this is the second time was able to enjoy this beer once in January and now today, I think this beer was really done right. I will be looking for this again when it is released this year and hopefully I am lucky enough to do the same comparison again.

Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - Hiver from Brasserie Fantôme