Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - Hiver - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - HiverFantôme Saison D'Erezée - Hiver

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 02-19-2003)
4.43/5  rDev +11.9%

Appearance was very nice poured into a tulip glass, ruby red in color with a 1 finger tan head that stayed for a good while before settling to a nice film on top, and nice lacing around the glass.
Smell had hints of caramel, vanilla, spices, and a faint touch of fruit which all blended very well.
Taste has the vanilla and spices still there, with bitter oranges and pepper dominating the back of my tongue more bread and funky yeast coming out as this warms.
Mouthfeel this beer has a strange silky feeling from the vanilla and yeast on the front of my tongue, but the bitterness from the spices and fruit in the back of my mouth keeps me wondering what I will experience next.
Drinkability since this is the second time was able to enjoy this beer once in January and now today, I think this beer was really done right. I will be looking for this again when it is released this year and hopefully I am lucky enough to do the same comparison again.

4.1/5  rDev +3.5%

Since we're finally getting some bitterly cold and blustery weather around these parts lately I decided it was time to open up last year's Fantôme Saison D’Erezée Hiver that I picked up on sale in May or June. Like all Fantôme bottles, this one is crowned and corked. Served at cellar temperture into an Ommegang cervoise, this year-old winter offering is mahogany-bronze with a substantial amount of suspended yeast particulates and a modest greyish-white foam cap. The nose reveals a familiar Fantôme tart green apple funk with white pepper and slight uric acid notes. It smells "dry" if that makes any sense. However, this dryness does not carry over into the flavor. There is more of a demure sugary malt presence that takes over after a noticeable but overall meager lemon-tart smack at the very beginning of the sip. There is a definite Granny Smith apple character to the flavor, but more along the lines of a green apple Jolly Rancher interpolation. Sugary but not too sweet. Light, playful, and just barely slick mouthfeel. Low carbonation. Some dark leafy vegetal notes come through in the taste as it warms. This is a solidly drinkable beer, as are all the beers I've sampled from this brewery. Seems more appropriate for late winter than for late fall, when I drank it.

4.13/5  rDev +4.3%

This brew pours a hazy ruby color. It's a bit darker than other saisons I have tired, but attractive none the less. The head is mamouth in size and lasts forever. The aroma is of orange, plum, honey, yeast and earth. The taste is more earthy than the aroma with the fruit and honey lingering in the background. The finish is mildly, but noticably hot. The mouthfeel is very much too style: light bodied and dry with a high level of carbonation. Overall, this is a very good beer that I would love to drink again. However, I would still rather have regular Fantôme, or Fantôme Saison D’Erezée - Été as I think they both were a little more complex.

4.28/5  rDev +8.1%

Appearance: pours a hazy coppoer color with a 1" head that slowly fell to a thick surface foam. Spotty lacing developed.

Smell: vanilla, spices, and yeast are easily detectable by the nose.

Taste: yeast, green grapes, pepper, and vanilla are wrapped in a spicy and mildly tart citrus blanket. Mild bitterenss and hints of alcohol are noticeable.

Mouthfeel: very crisp. Medium bodied. Short aftertaste.

Drinkability: very flavorful and quite a different brew overall. Easy to drink and should be a must buy if you see it on the shelves.

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours a hazy brown/orange, thin off white head forms, sticks to the glass, good retention. Smell is sweet and caramel, minor funk, spices, yeasty. Taste is lots of caramel, spice punch, little bit of vanilla and citrus, some sourness at the end. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. Not bad, but after the Fantome Saison this one was a bit lacklustre.

Bottle: Poured a dirty dark yellow color ale with a small foamy head with minimal retention. Aroma of weird spice mix with some strong Saaz hops. Taste is incredibly dry probably from the mix of spices and hops but doesn’t really excite my taste buds. Body is about average and carbonation is quite low. Not bad but just doesn’t provide the magic that I usually find in Fantome beers.

3.9/5  rDev -1.5%

Light hazy brown with a very modest tan head. A little reticent as far as aroma goes, faint unidentifiable spice with mild citrus, dried fruits. A touch sour upfront, very earthy, somewhat musty, some dark fruity esters, candied orange peel, subdued yet sweet doughy malts and a touch of soy. Plus an added spice component that i can't put a finger on. Alcoholic spice through the back end, finishes a little dry. Really unusual. Medium bodied with fairly low carbonation. Almost the sort of carbonation I look for in my stouts. Alcohol is present, but not a hindrance. Weird, but good.

Photo of
4.18/5  rDev +5.6%

Opened up a 750ml bottle and received a cascade of foam. Following clean up, it poured a light brown/amber color with a slight haze due to some yeast I stirred up in my fumbling. The smell was earthy and yeast at first, the some type of spice, a whiff of alcohol, and finally a perfume/rose note. Taste was not as complex as the smell, with a tart citrus being the most apparent. You also got a bit of sweetness from the malt, and finished with a little pepper for seasoning. Mouthfeel was medium in body, and, surprise, carbonation was pretty high. I really liked this beer and found it very drinkable.

3.9/5  rDev -1.5%

Reddish plum color with slight haze, fair bubbling. Head is short and doesn't last too long. Aroma is medium strong, with earthy notes, cherry and other dark fruit, and light spice. The flavor begins very subtly and lightly sour. It improves toward the finish which is rather dry and bready. Not much sweetness overall so I have to give credit for being very true to the style. The taste is not that strong, but its interesting and hard to discern. Mouthfeel is slightly thin, with lower carbonation, not bad. This was suprisingly very drinkable. Not one of Fantome's best but a nice saison...

4.35/5  rDev +9.8%

Pouring a creamy but thin off-white head, the plum/caramel color helps make this a great looker. The bubble activity was simply fascinating. While there was constant effervesence, a second body seemed to be moving around in the liquid. It's probably sediment, just what exactly I'm not sure, but I know I've never seen a beer quite like it. Great start.

The aroma is also totally unique. A bit mysterious, hard to close in on. Vinuous in general, but with a grape-iness that mingles with scents of leather and spoiled dark fruits. I'm also reminded of mushrooms marinated in a wine sauce. The yeast here produces some wacky traits. I like!

The flavor is not surprising after taking several whiffs, but it is indeed wild. Mirroring the aroma, it lays out a barnyard funk at the beginning of the sip, and also reminds of a variety of warm, overripe dark fruits: pomegranate, plum, grape, and even a peppery zing. There's even a bready heartiness here. The finish offers a long-lasting sourness. Lots going on here. Clearly a complex, fascinating, delicious, compelling beer.

4.38/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured in everything. Looks like dark rust. Nearly opaque. A hardened soft glow seeks the center but doesn't even come close. A tall, all encompassing, cap of thick, luscious foam sweeps up the side of the goblet growing like the increasing wind of a oncoming storm. The top is tanned light brown in hue with a spot of brown leather in the center from the yeasty drippys. Tends to keep one heck of top sitting there the whole glass through; from pour to pour until the bottle is empty, the top is always sitting with a solid presense. Lacing is slow and low into the glass with patterns of thickly stringed blobby forms.

Aroma is soft and tender of a darkened tartness of citrus and smokey malts. Kinda grapey, kinda plummy, a certain funk of leather and wet, old wood simply keeps it interesting to the nose.

Flavors are simple in composure but complex in layers and length. Simple ways about it seem forebodingly dark and seeping into a sweet, deep tartness thats amazingly soft and supple. Flavors are a wave of mixtures making the overall current a tasty little display of dark grape and citrusy orange dusted with cocoa and semi tangy molasses. Very moderate really but lasting. Rides out for a tauntifingly, yeastified, sweet, and candied treat. The semi sweetness, sugared cookie doughness, and wood/leather funk hints is the make and mark of a great Belgian beer. And this smacks of that fact.

Feel is sublime! So succulant, so soft and tender. It works sublimely with the flavors across the palate. As if to unfold, or create a breeze with verve and steadiness. The body is just over medium and never strays from there. Texturized in fluffy stuff that yeasty things like to create. Perfect.

This is one very damn fine brew. That 8% and bigger 750ml bottle can catch ya off guard right quick if your not careful. A sipper, sure. But downable all the same.

Fantome rocks!

4.4/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle: This beer pours a very hazy red-tinged mahogany brown color. There was a small off-white head that dies off quickly. The aroma is pleasant, albeit a little weaker than I expected for this beer. The aroma is complex. It is appealing, with notes of caramel, sourness and I’m not quite sure. It is definitely complex. The taste is good. Somewhat tart, a hint of pepperiness, some fruits, caramel, the list goes on. Very nice.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

05/16/06- Purchased at Sun Devil Liquors in Tempe, AZ.

Presentation- 750ml bottle, both caped and corked. No freshness dating. A code on the cork, but don't know how to read. Assuming either a 2003 or 2004 version as it was purchased in the fall of 2005. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Dark grape colored pour. One inch head which hoovers for a while. Leaves light chunks and streaks of lace.

Smell- What the hell? Some really different stuff going on here. A pretty strong scent of vanilla with a base of powdered sugar and a floral. and perfumy chamomile tea like scent. Odd for sure, but really nice. Smells more sugary than sour. Very earthy and dirt-like.

Taste- Damn, the taste is even weirder than the smell. This is a true definition of a sweet and sour beer. You could almost dump this over your pork, chow mein or whatever and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. A really nice sweetness at first followed by a pretty sour mouth puckering right after. A mixture of fruits, but I can't tell which. Kinda like a smoothie with with a bunch of herb extracts that a sherpa from Nepal would give you while camping at base camp at Everest. It does have a definite winter feel though.

Mouthfeel- Well carbonated, afteratse is sour, but short lasting.

Drinkability- LongBeachBum was right on in his review. This beer will truly confuse many, if not most beer drinkers. It sure did to myself and BA member Spinlock who consumed this beer. At first sip I really didn't think I liked it, but as I got close to finishing it, I'd wished I had another bottle, if not 2 or 3. It grows on you. As usual, this is truly another outrageous beer from Fantome. I'm really glad I had the pleasure of trying this one and will look for it again in the future.

3.9/5  rDev -1.5%

Aroma recalls dark, burnt malts and burnt fruits. Some carmalized sugar and vanilla notes as well. Reminds me of a brown sugar coated fruit pancake that has sat too long on the griddle. Opaque red-tinted brown body with a two finger thick tan head. For is bready with a mild, wholesome sweetness and a crispness that starts at the tip of the tongue and stays strong enough to whipcrack the throat as you swallow. There is a pervasive toasty, grain flavor that reminds me a lot of sweet toasted wheat cakes. Not the most compelling Fantome, of the few I’ve had, but it is interesting and certainly tasty.

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Wine stained leather. Incredibly aromatic, milk chocolate, fruits (grape, currants), coriander, lactose and molasses. Subtle, funky, light bodied, lingering flavorful with a variety of fruit (grapes, apricots, raisins) and spice (coriander, wood shavings). Not as tart as I was hoping for. Well hidden alcohol, like every Fantome beer. I’m not taking this to the grave with me but I still enjoyed it.

3.88/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Only my second offering from Fantome,poured a hazy deep amber with a big fluffy slightly off white head that takes its time as it settles leaving a creamy mass.Whoa dont like the aromas there is funk and then there is nasty funk almost skunked and barnyard "stuff" when taking first whiffs that was a major turn off.The flavors do not reflect the funkiness of the aromas though dried fruits,prunes and raisins the Belgian yeast is quite perevalent as well with atouch of iron in the finish as well.Nice full creamy mouthfeel that goes down smooth oh so smooth.Damn if the aromas were not so out there is woulld be sublime as it is its a fine beer in it self.

3.68/5  rDev -7.1%

Just shy of a really good beer. After a good pop from the cork this poured very well into my Duvel glass. A turbid brown with a moderate haze as some of the yeast got in with the beer. nice big head that faded back. Smells fruity and spicy malt, with a woody smell of cut wood not piney or oaky just wood there is also a good amount of yeast and some funk. The first sip was a bit under whelmed as this is my first fantome. I was hoping for something better. It starts to grow and I am really tasting this beer. There are hints of oxidation in the fruit of the malt up front a nice funky yeast charcter that is through the middle that carries over to spice. It has a good body and the 8% is not even a factor. Easy drinker, but not something I would have regularly. Thanks to AB for the bottle.

3.85/5  rDev -2.8%

From notes. Poured with a monster of a head, 3 fingers tall. Brew was a dark shade of muddled brown. After settling the head sat 1.5 fingers over the brew. Nose was musty and dank upfront with light raisin and brown sugar, but all being moderately subdued. Flavor was much more prevalent than the nose. Mounds of raisiny fruit and lighter earthy musty barnyard funk. Feel was moderate with a nice active carbonation. Almost refreshing on the tongue. Flavor was very different from what I was expecting, but I should know already that Fantome is going to transcend the saison style. I enjoyed the flavor, but this was not the favorite Fantome I have experienced.

4.18/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours a hazy pale orange with a gigantic tan head that ocvers the glass with exceptional lace. The carbonation effortlessly floats to the head like water in an aquariam (I'm sure I've used that analogy before).

There is a slight sour aroma that is musty, earthy and vaguely reminisent of a dank barn. You wouldn't think that would be a favorable impression but it is. There is a slight sweetness that balances this earthy "sourness."

The taste is mild but very memorable. There is a light "meaty" quality to the flavor. There is a touch of malty sweetness that is finished with a hop bite (grassy and citrusy).

This is a light to medium bodied beer that has a sharp hop finish. As it warms, the malt lingers in the mouth. A fruity effervesence introduces itself somewhere in the sampling.

This beer grew on me as I drank it. As it warmed, it asserted itself and told me to like it more. I hope this spectral being haunts me for years to come.

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured a cloudy dark amber. This had a granny smith-meets tangerine-meets nutmeg & other spices flavor, as well as the " fresh cut hay" smell I am used to in other farmhouse beers. Not much of a mouthfeel,(though I am not sure what distiguishes mouthfeel), but still had those beautiful champagne-like Belgian bubbles. Not the kind of thing I could drink a ton of, but worth trying once. Very unique

3.43/5  rDev -13.4%

Sour! Holy Moses this makes my mouth pucker.

Strong-willed carbonation. Cork pops off like a dress on prom night. Racing head with impressively iridescent gingerbread to brown hues. Smells of bristlecone piney hops, must, dank dark dampness, earth, and oak leaves. Tastes slightly citrusy and heavily of rotten fruit, mostly apples. Perhaps some rotten meat as well.

The mouthfeel is what really makes this beer interesting. It is really sour, similar only to one other beer that I have had before, New Glarus’s sour brown. They share a closely similar appearance as well. The texture is also quite unique and rather like warn shoe leather or rawhide. This leathery quality seems to make its way into the aroma and taste as well. I can’t say that I like it very much but I do suppose it could grow on me as my taste buds age and I continue to crave new and different beers. This one is definitely sui generis.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Finally, my first Fantome. The bottle was well pressurized. After going into a tulip, the beer appears to be a clouded auburn color, with a half inch of foam that isn't going anywhere. The final pour is a muddy brown. The smell is funkier than I was led to believe by the salesman, which is a good thing. The spiced malt refuses to be outdone, though, and reminds me of a christmas ale.

This is an excellent saison. It has the soft malts of a brown ale, with holiday spices and farmhouse funk. The flavors are well balanced, with no one flavor standing above the others. This one is just slightly sweet.

The mouthfeel is softly carbonated, and medium bodied. The drinkability could cause me to cause a scene this coming holiday.

4.13/5  rDev +4.3%

cellar temp is mid 60s right now.
whoop, there rises a froth of large beads. It's not thick and collapses to puffy soap suds. Way murky toasted hazelnut-skin color. the froth turns the color of creamy peanut butter as it continues to fall and lace.
Intense citrusy aroma; fresh lemon balm, chervil, sorrel and clary sage flowers. It's like zesting a lemon and lime in the glass producing an incredibly refreshing aroma.
oh wow, caramels are melting in my mouth. Homemade caramel with raw pecans and peanuts. Jazzy carbonation. It's like the perfect naked turtle served with soda water and fresh sage and horehound. This is so drinkable. The aftertaste is clean but for the caramel finish. This isn't immense, and it doesn't blow my mind, but it sure is good. As the yeast rises it makes it's funkiness heard.

4.53/5  rDev +14.4%

Hazy chestnut colored beer with a small, dense, cream colored head that faded slowly leaving a few amoebas of lace. Quite interesting smell that bounces back and forth between tangy lemon and a unique cotton candy aroma. Tart lemony flavor almost becomes sour before the rich malty caramel base takes over. There are hints of floral hops throughout, and soft sugary (cotton candy, the blue one) finish. Light, fluffy mouthfeel. A freaky, crazy beer. Fantome makes the most unique beers I've ever had, and this one is currently the most warped one I've tried. I couldn't even imagine a beer tasting like this, but somehow they pull it off.

4.33/5  rDev +9.3%

perhaps the best saison I have had. It is very nicely and aggressively hopped, without overpowering spice, pleasant appearance, excellent taste in citrus backbone. Of the top 10% of all beers, and higher in terms of saison. Excellent Fantome that I must try aged.

Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - Hiver from Brasserie Fantôme