Fantôme Boo! - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme Boo!Fantôme Boo!

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: stakem on 11-07-2012)
Reviews by czfreeman:
4.16/5  rDev +22%

Haven't reviewed a Fantome beer in quite some time.This bottle has been staring at me for the last three months..so decided it was time. Cold night, Catch 33 playing in the background..Bottled August 25, 2012.
Pours a murky cider-like tone.burnt orange color. Bottle was a gusher and continues to gush even after pouring some out. Head is really active, frothy, and champagne like in carbonation.
Smells of root veg, fermenting apple, pumpkin I can detect, sweet potato, lemon, apple cider vinegar, cinnamon, pepper, clove, allspice, all draped in a really musty cellar-like dustiness akin to a farmer's cellar. Lots of spiced drying boozy/sour finish.
Flavor is more pumpkin forward..but if your're looking for it. Sweet potato, pumpkin, root veg, spices, brown sugar, rye, all coated in a sour/sweet dusty character. Sweetness-touch of candy sugar-spice, pepper almost cinnamon..If the Halloween grab bag was being replicated..then amazingly so.Candy corn, pumpkin, sourness, cinnamon all in one Sourness and pepper intermingle to create a really interesting brew.
There is no smoke flavor that previous reviewers noted..so is the magic of Dany Prignon.
I am a huge fan of Fantome. Mr. Prignon is a quirky genius that has some of the most interesting beers I have ever tried in my life.
Sour pumpkin/harvest Halloween beer?... I think BOO! turned out excellent and always look forward to my next Fantome brew.
I think given the list of ingredients and theme...this beer is brilliant

3.95/5  rDev +15.8%

3.95/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle (2012)

Holiday Wine Cellar
Escondido, CA

Hazy burnt orange with a large near-white head that leaves messy, thick, lines of lace down the glass. Gorgeous saison--typical of Dany at Fantome.

A strangely inviting, interesting aroma. This is more citrus forward than most any Fantome I've ever had before. It truly reminds me of a strange combination of Lemon Lime Gatorade and a gin and tonic. There's some pine notes along with definite lime. As the beer warms, more grass and wet hay elements emerge, along with a strange tire/rubber character. I like it.

The lemon/lime/gin/tonic notes are present in full force. Definite lime and pine combining for an interesting take on an old-world style. The finish is the strangest part of the beer's flavor, with a burnt rubber/race weekend tarmac character emerging. Strangely...marvelously drinkable.

Medium bodied with high carbonation.

And before I know it...the 750mL is nearly gone. I enjoyed this one quite a bit. I've never had anything like it.

4.25/5  rDev +24.6%

3.25/5  rDev -4.7%

3.88/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

So yeah, this is a weird one for sure. But I'm almost CELEBRATING right now just because this is one of the first Fantome odd-balls I've had in a while that didn't smell like doritos. That's a plus immediately! I'm so elated that--this time--I'm not one of those unlucky victims of Fantome's botched batches.
Because instead, I'm sitting here confounded, and totally intrigued by this shit. At least the appearance seems normal, with a substantial head and retention, but it all stops there. It smells like shaved fennel and oranges, and a little bit of tequila. The taste is like a belgian blonde on pcp that can't decide what it wants to do; orange juice and cinnamon rolls? Jicama and gin? A wild ale and a mojita? The mouthfeel seems to hold its own, depositing it's citrusy signature deep in the cracks of your tongue.
It took me and my friend a bottle of this to get this far, now I want another. Gimmicky perhaps, except probably nobody knows what the gimmick actually is. This stuff is definitely a one of a kind, which is completely worth it for me.

3.25/5  rDev -4.7%

4.3/5  rDev +26.1%

750 ml cork and capped green bottle poured into a Bruery tulip.
8% ABV, best before end 2015

A - Good thing I saw the gusher warnings and knew what to expect. Foam rose out of the bottle as soon as the cork was pulled, but having expected the high carbonation, a quick pour kept all the hazy goldenrod beer in the glass. Tall, tightly packed bubbles create a formidable head with great retention and moderately sticky lace.

S - Calling Fantôme's Boo! rustic is an understatement. This musty, earthy, dry beer reeks of an unfinished, rarely maintained basement, but isn't that how the breweries keep over there? Careful to protect the natural environment that creates their beers? Plastic notes are the only thing in this fresh pumpkin rind-filled nose that come close to offending me but, even then, it's not terrible and seems to stem from subtle smokiness. Is Boo! Weird? Sure. Out there in terms of a pumpkin beer and/or saison? Definitely, but it smells like an interesting brew and, damn it, at the core I'm just happy it's not skunked.

T - Delicately smoked malt is a wonderful compliment to freshly lobotomized Jack-o-lantern with classic rustic yeast overtones completing the ensemble splendidly. Clove with a dash of white pepper adds spiciness to the finish while suggestions of lemon bring in subtle tartness. From start to finish, this beer is quite tasty.

M - Despite the gushing, it's carbonation is under control, dancing on the tongue joyously as this surprisingly light-bodied beer finishes as absolutely dry as they come. Alcohol is nowhere to be found, just lingering smoke and spice characteristics remain on the palate.

O - Fantôme's Boo! combines lightly smoked malt and pumpkin into a very rustic saison for complexity and uniqueness that demonstrates a true step out of the box. A one-of-a-kind distinctive beer that might be polarizing - love it or hate it - Boo! is one that won't soon be forgotten by those who try it.

1.25/5  rDev -63.3%

3.34/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A. It has a light caramel color with a limited bubbly white head and some lacing. Opaque haze to it.

S. It has a sour scent. American wild yeast scent.

T/M. It has a vegatable taste, my guess is that's the pumpkin trying to fight through, but it tastes much more like a sour. Grassy with a decent bitter hoppiness to it.

O. There isn't much of a pumpkin taste as the saison characteristics dominate. Refreshing but not my style.

3.9/5  rDev +14.4%

Consumed 4/7/13

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7

Appearance: Hazy, cloudy, nice orange color - nice range of orange and gold tones, kind of squash-like or pumpkin-like - big, bright white head that keeps a big, fluffy cap

Smell: Particularly bizarre, even for a Fantôme beer - highly vegetal with lots of squash - yeasty with some notable phenols - kind of like someone stuffed some Band Aids in a pumpkin - earthy, with some spices - funky, with some damp musty concrete cellar (typical Fantôme weirdness)

Taste: Funky squash with some fruits and spices - sweetened butternut squash, cinnamon, and some dirt - damp, wet, dirty basement - yeasty, funky, kind of herbal - some lighter fruits in the mix, probably esters from the yeast - medium level of bitterness - quite confusing to drink at first, but it grows in its charm

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body, prickly carbonation, very smooth, nice, dry finish

Overall: Fear will find you

The aroma is legitimately, objectively bizarre. But the actual flavor is charming in a unique way. There's a lot of flavors going on, but the grab bag mostly works.

3.9/5  rDev +14.4%

0.75 Litre bottle: brewed and bottled by Dany, but with ingrediant ideas from the Burgundian Babble Belt website, many of whom are regular home brewers as well as being Belgian (and other) Beer lovers.

You never know what a beer from this brewery is going to be like: a Secret Santa sort of excitment can prevail, will I get something I like or will it be a huge disappointment?

Well this bottle delivered the goods. Opened with friends on 23 Nov 2012 @ home and poured into three chalice glasses: dull, hazy hue to the orange/dirty dish water looking body, on top a thin layer of off-white bubbles sat around for a minute then disappeared completely.

The smell was orange, cinnamon, sugared water sprinkled with yeast and a bag of shelled mixed nuts (salted).

The taste was a concoffany of flavours in my head: sweet and sour, spicy, herbie (no, not the little car, the other herbs) and buckets of sugar, sun dried on lemons: the grist poured into a forth glass had the smells and tastes intensified greatly and warmed me up somewhat.

Fairly 'fizzy' start to the mouth feel, it did calm down as the tasting progressed and although there was plenty to dislike about the whole thing: overall I enjoyed the strange flavourings and I bet no two bottles will taste the same. At £9.99 I didn't get another bottle, but I might if our paths cross again, just for the shit and giggles.

Poured from bomber bottle into my travel tulip...yes I have a travel tulip.
Purchased at Plaza Fine Liquors for $15. You know I love me some Fantome...so when I saw this, i jumped.
Poured a burnt orange with nice 2 finger foamy head.
Nice citrusy peppery funky aroma. You can really smell that Fantome typical aroma.
Taste is big vegtable funk up front; but its a nice autumn type...squash, pumpkin, earthy vegtable. But its followed by nice spice, some citrus, and of course the Fantome funky barnyard typical/classic flavor - the reason we buy Fantome. Crazy pumpkin pie/gourd aftertaste. Also has an intense dry-ness as most saisons should.

Its really easy drinker, and just nice balanced flavor. Yes its veggie...but its balanced with some great funky peppery spice, which makes this a very very unique Saison. I cant believe im in Tucson Arizona and came across this beer...and im only the 9th review. I live in NYC area and have never seen this...lucky find. Not sure why this is one of the lowest rated here. its really fantastic. I think its the pure pumpkin flavors in it, but I think it works extremely well and well worth every penny spent.
It would really be a treat to brew with Danny...

3.85/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured from a cork and capped 750ml bottle into a tulip glass. I opened this while it was still pretty cold, but I let it warm up a lot before finishing it.

A - The cork comes out with a huge POP! Pours out a beautiful golden / light orange color with 2 big fingers of off white head.

S - Smells like bananas, spices, lemon, and funk. Lots of different smells going on here, so I wasn't sure what to expect at all.

T - Crisp and tart up front (a little hoppy too) followed by a banana-ish Belgian yeast taste and Brett. There's really a lot of things going on here - and this is one of the more interesting beers I've ever had. As the beer warms up, it gets a little bit less tart / dry and more funky.

M - Very nice mouthfeel with a dry, almost champagne-like carbonation. Light bodied

O - I really enjoyed this offering from Fantome and I would definitely suggest giving it a try if you are a fan of their other beers. It might not be everyone's favorite beer, but it is an interesting experience.

2.63/5  rDev -22.9%

Served in a Fantome tulip. Nose has some banana and spice and a bit of plastic, which ten comes more through in the taste. Dry herbal bitterness. Quite odd. I've had this one twice now and have not enjoyed it at all either time, though I've heard that others whose tastes I trust have had better experiences, so maybe the third time will be the charm.

Fantôme Boo! from Brasserie Fantôme