2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Fantôme Boo! - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme Boo!Fantôme Boo!

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: stakem on 11-07-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 85 | Reviews: 34 | Show All Ratings:
DrinkSlurm

Connecticut

Poured from bomber bottle into my travel tulip...yes I have a travel tulip.
Purchased at Plaza Fine Liquors for $15. You know I love me some Fantome...so when I saw this, i jumped.
Poured a burnt orange with nice 2 finger foamy head.
Nice citrusy peppery funky aroma. You can really smell that Fantome typical aroma.
Taste is big vegtable funk up front; but its a nice autumn type...squash, pumpkin, earthy vegtable. But its followed by nice spice, some citrus, and of course the Fantome funky barnyard typical/classic flavor - the reason we buy Fantome. Crazy pumpkin pie/gourd aftertaste. Also has an intense dry-ness as most saisons should.

Its really easy drinker, and just nice balanced flavor. Yes its veggie...but its balanced with some great funky peppery spice, which makes this a very very unique Saison. I cant believe im in Tucson Arizona and came across this beer...and im only the 9th review. I live in NYC area and have never seen this...lucky find. Not sure why this is one of the lowest rated here. its really fantastic. I think its the pure pumpkin flavors in it, but I think it works extremely well and well worth every penny spent.
It would really be a treat to brew with Danny...

12-10-2012 03:46:50 | More by DrinkSlurm
ZombiesAteMyDog

Indiana

3.93/5  rDev +13.6%

A - it pours a hazy/opaque murky brown orange with a big foamy white head.

S - It smells clean... Yet, funky. Some orange peel, clove/allspice, lemon, pine, and honey. Smells like a tasty sore throat remedy.

T - There's some interesting earthy funk that lingers around for awhile. Very interesting in flavor... It has a bit of ginand tonic flavor going with some citrus peel and slight fresh mint.

M - A solid medium body with medium carbonation.

0 - Wah-wah-wee-wah... What an interesting brew... Yet another strange brew from Fantôme. I love trying their oddballs. I wasn't sure what I was getting when I bought this one, but I am glad I sprung for it.

12-08-2012 02:27:40 | More by ZombiesAteMyDog
Beerenauslese

3.93/5  rDev +13.6%

After a great deal of anticipation owing to the many user's posts about this beer on the Burgundian Babble Belt, for whom Danny P made this beer, the bottles finally arrived at Healthy Spirits in San Francisco and I snagged a couple. Poured into a Bruery tulip.

A modest white head formed above a hazy light amber body and quickly dissipated to a ring, leaving some traces of lacing behind.

The aroma of this beer is FUNKY. There is wet horseblanket, pumpkin, orange, spice, and some band-aid.

It is hard to describe this beer, as there is a lot of different tastes one can get from it. But it is a mildly sour beer with pumpkin on the front palate followed by orange zest which lasts into the spicy finish, and I get notes of cinnamon, coriander, and ginger. The orange flavor seems more prominent than pumpkin, especially as it lingers into the finish. On the other hand, it can also resemble some sort of beer cocktail.

Medium body and low carbonation, has a slight creaminess and is a little sticky.

At first, this is quite funky with an off-putting aroma, and I wondered where it was going, but like many Fantôme beers, it grew on me. Overall, I enjoyed this beer and am looking to open the other bottle on All Hallow's Eve 2013, when it hopefully will have become more sour.

12-02-2012 18:57:11 | More by Beerenauslese
ehammond1

3.95/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle (2012)

Holiday Wine Cellar
Escondido, CA

Hazy burnt orange with a large near-white head that leaves messy, thick, lines of lace down the glass. Gorgeous saison--typical of Dany at Fantome.

A strangely inviting, interesting aroma. This is more citrus forward than most any Fantome I've ever had before. It truly reminds me of a strange combination of Lemon Lime Gatorade and a gin and tonic. There's some pine notes along with definite lime. As the beer warms, more grass and wet hay elements emerge, along with a strange tire/rubber character. I like it.

The lemon/lime/gin/tonic notes are present in full force. Definite lime and pine combining for an interesting take on an old-world style. The finish is the strangest part of the beer's flavor, with a burnt rubber/race weekend tarmac character emerging. Strangely...marvelously drinkable.

Medium bodied with high carbonation.

And before I know it...the 750mL is nearly gone. I enjoyed this one quite a bit. I've never had anything like it.

11-30-2012 02:39:14 | More by ehammond1
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

3.9/5  rDev +12.7%

0.75 Litre bottle: brewed and bottled by Dany, but with ingrediant ideas from the Burgundian Babble Belt website, many of whom are regular home brewers as well as being Belgian (and other) Beer lovers.

You never know what a beer from this brewery is going to be like: a Secret Santa sort of excitment can prevail, will I get something I like or will it be a huge disappointment?

Well this bottle delivered the goods. Opened with friends on 23 Nov 2012 @ home and poured into three chalice glasses: dull, hazy hue to the orange/dirty dish water looking body, on top a thin layer of off-white bubbles sat around for a minute then disappeared completely.

The smell was orange, cinnamon, sugared water sprinkled with yeast and a bag of shelled mixed nuts (salted).

The taste was a concoffany of flavours in my head: sweet and sour, spicy, herbie (no, not the little car, the other herbs) and buckets of sugar, sun dried on lemons: the grist poured into a forth glass had the smells and tastes intensified greatly and warmed me up somewhat.

Fairly 'fizzy' start to the mouth feel, it did calm down as the tasting progressed and although there was plenty to dislike about the whole thing: overall I enjoyed the strange flavourings and I bet no two bottles will taste the same. At £9.99 I didn't get another bottle, but I might if our paths cross again, just for the shit and giggles.

11-26-2012 13:47:15 | More by BlackHaddock
doktordebris

3.88/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

So yeah, this is a weird one for sure. But I'm almost CELEBRATING right now just because this is one of the first Fantome odd-balls I've had in a while that didn't smell like doritos. That's a plus immediately! I'm so elated that--this time--I'm not one of those unlucky victims of Fantome's botched batches.
Because instead, I'm sitting here confounded, and totally intrigued by this shit. At least the appearance seems normal, with a substantial head and retention, but it all stops there. It smells like shaved fennel and oranges, and a little bit of tequila. The taste is like a belgian blonde on pcp that can't decide what it wants to do; orange juice and cinnamon rolls? Jicama and gin? A wild ale and a mojita? The mouthfeel seems to hold its own, depositing it's citrusy signature deep in the cracks of your tongue.
It took me and my friend a bottle of this to get this far, now I want another. Gimmicky perhaps, except probably nobody knows what the gimmick actually is. This stuff is definitely a one of a kind, which is completely worth it for me.

11-22-2012 11:36:08 | More by doktordebris
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

3.15/5  rDev -9%

Shared by Thorpe429. Thanks Mike!

The beer is hazy and amber colored with a thin head. The aroma brings citrus, odd funk, grain, yeast. The flavor is interesting. Not particularly tasty, but I didn't loathe this to the same extent as some others in the group. Lots of citrus and a chewy, bready mouthfeel. Some yeasty funk notes, but also some displaced floral hops and some medicinal and vegetal notes as well. This is just an odd brew. I suspect the bottle variation has a wide range, from excellent to not so much. I just found this to be rather weird and off-putting. I've had some great beers from Fantôme, but unfortunately, just as many duds. This is a dud.

11-20-2012 23:57:41 | More by Huhzubendah
drabmuh

Maryland

2.6/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Thanks Thorpe, served in a Fantome glass. Beer is amber and hazy with a thin lazy low white head of small bubbles, no lacing.

Aroma is vegetal and spicy odd, yeasty almost hoppy if the hops were boiled in cabbage.

Not a fan, this beer is pretty gross. It is corny, cabbage, boiled vegetable stock but something rotten about it. A complete miss for me. Will not be a repeat.

11-19-2012 02:03:10 | More by drabmuh
stakem

4.18/5  rDev +20.8%

750ml bottle into a matching Fantome tulip. The brew appears a very clouded light brown to burnt copper color. Dare I say it looks like a mild pumpkin puree of sorts or maybe more along the lines of fresh pressed cider. Cider is definitely a fitting description. An initial surge of nearly 3 fingers of off-white froth forms atop and slowly tapers to a half finger sitting atop. A light swirl reforms a finger and produces some spotty patches of lacing effect on the glass. When held to the light, there is a lighter golden to yellow coloration seen around the edges.

I want to say the aroma is different but seriously we are talking Fantome here and that is a given. Quite frankly I had no idea what to expect going into this and no matter what preconceived notion I might have had, this really is just...different. However, it has a familiarity about it like some other recent Fantome offerings. Smoke and earthy leather are the first things that strike my mind. Think rich smokey and earthy brett character. If you read white lab's description of Brettanomyces lambicus, that is exactly what this smells like. When taking a deep whiff of this brew, there is an earthy sweetness across the back that is somewhat reminiscent of pumpkin/yams/sweet potatoes with a hint of a very mild spice like cinnamon, nutmeg and a fruity quality faintly like lemony ginger. When looking at the label of this brew, you really want to think this is going to be a pumpkin beer. However, it is a very smoke heavy sort of saison in the Fantome way.

The taste is very much like the nose but in a much more intensified way. A rich smoke flavoring lays across the tongue. Instead of being the typical smoked malt flavor, this is much more deep and has a bit of pete'd presence and phenolic character that is borderline like plastic mixed with fresh cracked black pepper. That faint hint of plastic blends into a more funky and earthy aspect that leads me back into thinking of things more like vegetative pumpkin flesh and seeds meets leather and tobacco smoke. Each sip seemingly yields a bit more character that you completely missed out on with your last sip. Some sips yield a bit of focus on residual sugar like toffee/caramel and still other sips transition into a bit of fruited quality like lemon and ginger. As the brew comes up to temperature, the aftertaste leaves you with traces of typical pumpkin pie spices: cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg but with a strange jerk who wasnt invited the party but showed up anyway unannounced: black pepper. Who is this guy and what is he doing here? Who cares, it works with the smoke and earthen tones. Side note: as I pour a second glass, there is certainly a warming aspect in this like spicy peppers that intensifies the alcohol content and leaves a lingering spiciness on the tongue.

This is a medium bodied brew with a moderate amount of carbonation. For the list 8% abv, this is very much atypical of Fantome in that you really feel the perfume-like alcohol presence and it almost feels like it is stronger than whats listed on the label. Whereas the usual Fantome saison is 8% but drinks like it is 3, this is totally opposite of that and you know you are drinking a big beer. This brew was an absolute awesome ride. I started off thinking it was peculiar and the smoke was weird and out of place. Half way through my glass I started to love it. By the end of my glass I am totally confused, perplexed and just want to drink more. This is the most crazy complex beer I have drank this year. Seriously, its not every day that each sip you take is completely different from the last.

After the fact thoughts: this is going to be a very polarizing beer. People will most likely either love it or hate it. It is very different and while my first impression was not the most favorable, im glad I had the time to sit and enjoy it as it evolved in my glass.

Edit: 10 days after this review, we opened a second bottle and it was a completely different experience. Most of what I described above was absent. No smoke inclusion but instead a pretty significant tartness and fruity lemon quality.

11-07-2012 01:08:30 | More by stakem