1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Fantôme Boo! - Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme Boo!Fantôme Boo!

Brasserie Fantôme visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: stakem on 11-07-2012)
3.56/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

From: Etre Gourmet
Date: Bottled 8/25/2012, best by 12/2015
Glass: New Belgium globe glass

Fantome's Boo! is an experimental saison that features intriguing smoked flavors alongside baked squash sweetness and saison yeast esters/phenols/flavors. The body is somewhat heavy, which melds well for the anticipated fall/early winter release of this beer. While I'm not sure I'd reach out for this on my own again, if the beer was being shared, I don't think I'd hesitate to partake of the weirdness again.

Pours a 2cm head of off-white foam, average retention of about a minute. The foam falls to a thick white ring around the body of the beer and a few scattered islands of wispy foam atop the body. Lacing is present, moderate in amount, some good washes and dots, but also spots on the inside of the glass that are barren. The body is a deep, cool orange color, light bringing out golden-orange hues. The beer is about 95% opaque despite my attempts at not pouring in sediment, so viewing carbonation is difficult, and other than seeing a few streams running up the sides of the glass, I notice little.

Aroma is of smoked malt (or pumpkin, whatever gives it that aroma), which brings out a more pork/bacon scent than campfire or toasted wood. I enjoy rauchbiers, so this isn't a problem for me, but definitely not what I was expecting. As time progresses and the beer warms and the scent changes, one can pick up Belgian saison yeast and some phenols against the smoked pork, as well as some sweetness.

Overall, the flavor is seriously experimental, a mix of baked-beans-in-pork-molasses-sauce with Belgian yeast, toffee-like sweetness, and some phenols and esters going on. A strange saison, but amazing how well this works together as well. I didn't have much difficulty getting through the 75cl bottle. Front of palate tastes some substantial toffee-esque sweetness and burnt brown sugar with additional flavor of significant baked butternut squash runnings. Mid-palate finds smoked malt with modest tartness, a sort of tart pork baked beans flavor, with hints of light molasses, clove, toffee-like sweetness, and Belgian saison yeast. Back of palate finds stronger, lighter toffee-like sweetness, saison yeast, clove-like phenols, and some fruity esters. Aftertaste is of smoked malt with a pork, molasses, and spice flavor one typically finds in a can of pork baked beans.

Beer is medium to medium-heavy in body, with low to medium-low carbonation, resulting in a smooth mouthfeel that has light tingling from the carbon dioxide. Closes quite dry, with fairly substantial stickiness lingering across the palate and lips. A fairly heavy late fall saison may have been intended.

3.48/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Another rustic and quality Saison crawling out of the farmhouses in Belgium. Desined with autumn in mind, the beer latches onto the spices and harvest of the season and keeps Hallow's Eve in mind.

Golden-orange in color, the racy ale erupts with intense carbonation. Like champagne, its spritzy nature fuels a light fluffy off-white froth that carpets the beer edge to edge and laces remarkably. Its bottle refermentation yields specks of yeast that layer on the bottom of the glass.

Oddly compelling aromas of dry malt, grain, wafers, and yeast rise just ahead of fermentation spice. Leading with white pepper, cumin and nutmeg, the beer rounds out with a pumpkin gourd-like pungent aroma that's vegetal and grassy.

The malt and grain medley ends up grainy-sweet with dry crackers and dough in taste. Its short-lived sweetness turns over to earthy and spicy flavors before the taste of garden variety vegetables emerge. Cork-like wood taste couples with fresh cracked pepper, earthy cumin, and cellar-like must. Remaining dry and zesty, the flavors reign in gourd and melon flavors that are somewhat dull but not unappealingly so.

Its mouthfeel is just as dry as its taste. Early sweetness is cast aside as the peppery prickle sensation refresh the palate and keep the beer light on the palate and stomach. Finishing arid, warm, and bone-dry the beer's flavors are almost enjoyed more in aftertaste than in real time.

Fantome keeps the hundreds of years of farmhouse character alive with rusticity, authenticity, and raw charm even while keeping experimental and current. I rather enjoyed this inquisitive ale although its vegetable and fruit components are a little unsettled.

4.25/5  rDev +24.6%

3.25/5  rDev -4.7%

4.35/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours golden to light amber in Fantome tulip with abundant, thick white head that lingers forever. Lots of lacing.

Smell is mild malt, apple, floral, and acidic citrus characters.

Nice fruit in the palate up front. Lots of apple, peach, plum and muscadine. Tart sourness comes in nicely and is then balanced by a mild bitterness. Plum type fruity aftertaste lingers on the palate long after.

Mouthfeel is light-medium bodied and heavily carbonated. Very refreshing and not too dry.

Overall this was excellent. I love this brewery and this beer in particular. Not sure why this beer doesn't get better reviews.

4.16/5  rDev +22%

Haven't reviewed a Fantome beer in quite some time.This bottle has been staring at me for the last three months..so decided it was time. Cold night, Catch 33 playing in the background..Bottled August 25, 2012.
Pours a murky cider-like tone.burnt orange color. Bottle was a gusher and continues to gush even after pouring some out. Head is really active, frothy, and champagne like in carbonation.
Smells of root veg, fermenting apple, pumpkin I can detect, sweet potato, lemon, apple cider vinegar, cinnamon, pepper, clove, allspice, all draped in a really musty cellar-like dustiness akin to a farmer's cellar. Lots of spiced drying boozy/sour finish.
Flavor is more pumpkin forward..but if your're looking for it. Sweet potato, pumpkin, root veg, spices, brown sugar, rye, all coated in a sour/sweet dusty character. Sweetness-touch of candy sugar-spice, pepper almost cinnamon..If the Halloween grab bag was being replicated..then amazingly so.Candy corn, pumpkin, sourness, cinnamon all in one Sourness and pepper intermingle to create a really interesting brew.
There is no smoke flavor that previous reviewers noted..so is the magic of Dany Prignon.
I am a huge fan of Fantome. Mr. Prignon is a quirky genius that has some of the most interesting beers I have ever tried in my life.
Sour pumpkin/harvest Halloween beer?... I think BOO! turned out excellent and always look forward to my next Fantome brew.
I think given the list of ingredients and theme...this beer is brilliant

3.34/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A. It has a light caramel color with a limited bubbly white head and some lacing. Opaque haze to it.

S. It has a sour scent. American wild yeast scent.

T/M. It has a vegatable taste, my guess is that's the pumpkin trying to fight through, but it tastes much more like a sour. Grassy with a decent bitter hoppiness to it.

O. There isn't much of a pumpkin taste as the saison characteristics dominate. Refreshing but not my style.

2.99/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

C

750ml into a tulip. Pours a hazed copper tang, orange tinged head is dense and retains nicely, plenty of lace.

The aroma is dominated by a peculiar phenolic combination of short circuited wiring, pcb and old sock - not in a nice way. Something nice lies below but the tulip is not its friend.

The flavor thankfully does not follow suit. Slightly tart, very yeasty, pleasantly musty. Grass and grapefruit, fairly dry with an herbal bitter finish which does have a tad of the burnt wiring at the very end. Slightly more than thin bodied prickly mouthfeel. This would taste better out of the bottle.
cheers
jd

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

Thanks to Chris (spycow) for sharing this oddity. Seems like we've been drinking new Fantôme offerings every weekend recently. Served in a Hair of the Dog tulip.

A - Generous white foam settles to a solid cap, thicker collar, and splotchy lacing. Hazed dark peach body.

S - Aroma is somewhat bizarre, with a mix of pumpkin pie and phenolic farmhouse yeast. There's some definite nutmeg or allspice in there, and perhaps a touch of cinnamon. Estery yeast, odd vegetal notes, a bit starchy, perhaps a bit of funky brett too? Not really sure what to compare this with.

T- I like the taste better, as the spice and vegetal flavors are dialed back and the base saison contributes some stone fruits, perhaps a dab of candi sugar, and bready Belgian yeast flavors. There's some nebulous squash and herb flavors but they're less distinct. Alcohol is well-hidden. Oddly enjoyable after a while.

M - Medium body, zesty carbonation, grainy and tannic texture, and a dry finish. No alcohol presence as far as I can discern, although I stopped believing any ABV found on Fantôme labels long ago.

D - The aroma is very weird, and I can imagine it might be off-putting to some. It's fairly drinkable, but not at the top of my list for Fantôme offerings to purchase again. I'd take a small pour if someone offered this to me, but not something I urgently need to revisit.

3.85/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured from a cork and capped 750ml bottle into a tulip glass. I opened this while it was still pretty cold, but I let it warm up a lot before finishing it.

A - The cork comes out with a huge POP! Pours out a beautiful golden / light orange color with 2 big fingers of off white head.

S - Smells like bananas, spices, lemon, and funk. Lots of different smells going on here, so I wasn't sure what to expect at all.

T - Crisp and tart up front (a little hoppy too) followed by a banana-ish Belgian yeast taste and Brett. There's really a lot of things going on here - and this is one of the more interesting beers I've ever had. As the beer warms up, it gets a little bit less tart / dry and more funky.

M - Very nice mouthfeel with a dry, almost champagne-like carbonation. Light bodied

O - I really enjoyed this offering from Fantome and I would definitely suggest giving it a try if you are a fan of their other beers. It might not be everyone's favorite beer, but it is an interesting experience.

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

Thanks to jmgrub for sharing this one at my tasting.

Lot number 25-8-12. Best before end 2015.

Pours a murky orange with a foamy bone colored head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, tobacco, earth, wood, and a slight sweat-like aroma. Taste is much the same with a smokey and funky flavor on the finish. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with some interesting aromas and flavors that get better as the beer warms up.

1.65/5  rDev -51.6%

750 ml bottle purchased in Indianapolis.

A -GUSHER! Not a slow creeper, an eruption upon opening. I lost half the bottle. No head, pours a murky orangish.
S - The best part of this beer, and that's not saying much. Some earthy funk, a hint of fruit sweetness.
T - I don't know where to begin. No funk, no sour, just a very strange earthy herbal quality. Undrinkable, and a drain pour.
M - Medium, fizzy.
O - Poor. Just a bad brew from start to finish, so avoid at all costs. I usually love Fantome brews, but this was a terrible drain pour.

3.25/5  rDev -4.7%

2.5/5  rDev -26.7%

3.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours a murky orange color with gold and red hues. Large white head that goes down rather quickly. I am very interested to dive into this beer after reading the reviews. Scent is...probably one of the most interesting aromas I've ever gotten from a beer. From first whiff, I immediately thought of the powder used to mix with water for certain thirst quenching sports drinks (Gatorade, Powerade, etc). Then I get some very veggie-like aromas...squash, cabbage, spinach, cherry tomato. The more I smell it, it kinda reminds me of a red beer or michelada. Yup, definitely smells like a michelada. A little bit of celery with some oregano, salt, pepper, and just flat out FUNKY! Taste is just as funky. Although the beer does not taste like a michelada, it definitely follows through with the veggie flavors. Picking up tomato, celery, and cabbage. Definitely getting rosemary and oregano in the flavor, with a spicy, peppery finish. Somewhat medicinal notes as well...with a slightly off-putting band-aide flavor. Some lemon zest and grassy flavors throughout, with the slightest bit of pine and bitterness. Some may say this is a bit tart as well. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and dry. Drinkability is fairly high. Overall, this is one of the strangest beers I've ever had. Not my favorite Fantome, but also not nearly as bad as some people are making this out to be. Go into this beer with low expectations and forget everything you know about Fantome...it may surprise you...or scare you...BOO!

2.5/5  rDev -26.7%

2.63/5  rDev -22.9%

Served in a Fantome tulip. Nose has some banana and spice and a bit of plastic, which ten comes more through in the taste. Dry herbal bitterness. Quite odd. I've had this one twice now and have not enjoyed it at all either time, though I've heard that others whose tastes I trust have had better experiences, so maybe the third time will be the charm.

3.55/5  rDev +4.1%

1 pint 9.4 fl oz green glass (ugh!) bottle with pressure cap over an internally housed cork served into a New Belgium stem-goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are through the roof. Acquired at Hi-Time Wine Cellars in Costa Mesa, California.

I pulled it from the fridge and it felt far too cold to serve, so I let it warm for a bit. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a two finger beige colour head of nice cream and thickness, and good retention for the high ABV. Body colour is a dull tangerine-copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Nontransparent; opaque. Not great looking for a saison, but passable.

Sm: Barnyard yeasty funk notes. Dry crystal malt. Ginger. Dry spices. Basil, cilantro, even oregano? Buried berry fruit esters - likely from the hops. Quite herbal and inviting. Takes some acclimation, but it's ultimately a pleasant aroma.

T: The subtle spices hit me first, but I'm not well-equipped enough to identify all of them. Pumpkin, vegetables, orange/light lemon citrus, subtle barnyard funk. Basil. Cinnamon, ginger, cilantro. Maybe coriander, actually; I have trouble discerning between coriander and cilantro (after all, they're sort of the same). Well balanced, if assertive. Some pepper as it warms. It's certainly spicy - a bit from the yeast. No alcohol comes through in the flavour. Orange rind guides the second act to the finish - but it's fermented and restrained, not in your face like a hefeweizen.

Mf: Delightfully dry, with a luscious wet surge on the climax to refresh and rehydrate. More smooth than course. Somewhat milky - a characteristic I've noticed in fine saisons. Carbonation is excellent. Ideal thickness.

Dr: Quite drinkable; the ABV hardly comes through. A lovely little saison, and quite fruit-guided - a characteristic I haven't noted in most beers in the style. Very subtle and complex all around. Another delightful saison from Fantome. I don't know that I'd buy this over the superior Fantome Saison, but it's a nice variant. I'd recommend it to friends.

Low B

*I manipulated the appearance rating to get the letter grade that was fair and consistent for my rating system. Please see my profile for more information.

Poured from bomber bottle into my travel tulip...yes I have a travel tulip.
Purchased at Plaza Fine Liquors for $15. You know I love me some Fantome...so when I saw this, i jumped.
Poured a burnt orange with nice 2 finger foamy head.
Nice citrusy peppery funky aroma. You can really smell that Fantome typical aroma.
Taste is big vegtable funk up front; but its a nice autumn type...squash, pumpkin, earthy vegtable. But its followed by nice spice, some citrus, and of course the Fantome funky barnyard typical/classic flavor - the reason we buy Fantome. Crazy pumpkin pie/gourd aftertaste. Also has an intense dry-ness as most saisons should.

Its really easy drinker, and just nice balanced flavor. Yes its veggie...but its balanced with some great funky peppery spice, which makes this a very very unique Saison. I cant believe im in Tucson Arizona and came across this beer...and im only the 9th review. I live in NYC area and have never seen this...lucky find. Not sure why this is one of the lowest rated here. its really fantastic. I think its the pure pumpkin flavors in it, but I think it works extremely well and well worth every penny spent.
It would really be a treat to brew with Danny...

Fantôme Boo! from Brasserie Fantôme