De Ranke XX Bitter - Brouwerij De Ranke

De Ranke XX BitterDe Ranke XX Bitter

Brouwerij De Ranke visit their website

Belgian IPA |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-28-2002)
View: Beers (9) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of De Ranke XX Bitter Alström Bros
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

3.85/5  rDev -5.9%

Bottle: Poured a pale yellowish kind of beer with a medium head with better then average retention. Aroma is quite hoppy thought not in the American sense (IPA) but more in the sense of Orval. Taste is also impregnated with the hops and you can feel brett yeast all the way through. Not too sure of what to make of this one since it seems to exist outside of my usual beer boundaries.

02-14-2005 17:41:08 | More by Phyl21ca
IrishRedRock

4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

I often use Belgian Pales in cooking, so as I planned on drinking a bottle of this tonight, I threw some in the cream sauce I was making for pasta...not a good move, as it gave it a bitter, piney hop aftertaste. Not bad, but not what usually happens. Anywho.

Has a deep, sparkling gold color, with a pungent hop aroma. So hoppy, and yet the hops are so different than what is found in hoppy American ales. Feels like a slick, spongey bitter coating of hop residue is left on the tongue with every sip. Flavor is light and citrusy, yet finishes like eating a pinecone. Stands up to its name, and though its not overpowering, it is quite bitter. Quite tasty too. If it was easily found in mass quantity, this would be a hell of a session.

02-10-2005 02:40:57 | More by IrishRedRock
Hhawk06

4.6/5  rDev +12.5%

Very interesting presentation of the bottle. Its wrapped in paper with a lot # of 000016 in a 25.4 oz. bottle. It was almost like opening a present on Christmas. Upon opening, I find that it is corked and capped, quite a combo. It also appears that the label on the bottle itself is wrong, as it states the bottle as only 11.2 fl. oz. Hhhmmm. Anyway, onto the beer. The nose is lemony, hoppy, sprucey, and just plain awesome. The body is crystal golden that appears just a bit more yellowish tint than anything. The head is big and pillowy with good traction on the lace. The mouthfeel is liquid yet edgy, good combo. Among the huge hop bitterness, a few flavors intermingle; a lemon, grainy, and some orange rind notes appear. The finish definitely has a lemon pucker to it, but it quickly mellows into a more balanced offering. Its just a little more piney than the body and just dry enough from the dosage of hops. Outstanding brew, definitely in my personal top 10.

02-05-2005 14:36:33 | More by Hhawk06
SheepNutz

4.45/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On-tap poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a light yellow-orange color with two fingers of head. There is a good deal of lacing left on the glass. The smell is both sweet and bitter, with some lemon and grassy aromas going on. The taste is malty and sweet at first, then has a little saaz hop bitterness and lemon pepper spice. The body is fairly nice and thick. The drinkability is awesome. This is a unique hoppy treat from the land of beer.

01-11-2005 05:45:35 | More by SheepNutz
oracle

Indiana

3.78/5  rDev -7.6%

10 oz draft pour in a tulip glass.

This beer arrived a light clear yellow with about 2 fingers of foam that left extensive lacing.

Aroma was mostly hops, but not the typicall grapefruit/citrus hops in most american pale ales and IPAs. This was a subtler, more floral hop.

Taste was not quite as good as I remember it being when I had it in a bottle. This is quite possibly due to the fact that when I have a bottled wheat, I'm one of those that swirls the last half ounce in the bottle before pouring, in order to grab some of the sediment along with the beer. I'm not positive this is a wheat beer (it certainly tastes that way to me), but I distinctly remembering swirling the sediment into the glass when I had the big bottle of this last August. I felt the taste improved after I did that.

In this daft version, I tasted the hops and the wheat quite clearly,
but it comes through harsh and unforgiving, with no smoothness or yeasty characteristics to mellow it out.

This may be one of the very few beers I prefer in a bottle to draft.

01-07-2005 14:05:42 | More by oracle
Onceeven

4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured this one into my Orval goblet, and was greeted with a sweet golden honey color that was slightly hazy. (Didn't decant the yeast) Not much of a head, but there was a fair amount of carbonation.
Smells of yeast, and mild hops. Still one of the hoppier Belgians, but by no means over the top. Mouthfeel was very creamy, a huge treat.
Initial taste was of yeast and malt. Faint wheat character, followed by a welcome hop flavor, and a mild but noticible tartness.
A very balanced brew, despite being Belgiums hoppiest. It is indeed and entirely different interpretation than say Orval.. but a treat nonetheless.

01-05-2005 04:31:11 | More by Onceeven
clvand0

4.38/5  rDev +7.1%

25.4oz bottle. Pours a yellow color with a huge head that sticks around nad leaves lots of lacing on the glass. The aroma is mostly European hops - nice and subtle - with some spicy malt for the backing. The flavor is very smooth. The hops give a great bitter character that isn't over the top. The malts back it up nicely and it has a slightly spiciness that makes it very nice.

01-04-2005 14:45:22 | More by clvand0
merlin48

Kentucky

11.2 oz bottle served into a tulip glass. Whoa! Lots of foam here, and a messy pour. Slightly hazed golden yellow body underneath an enormous, pitted, head. Hard to believe so much foam came out of such a small bottle, with a delicate pour. Lots of patchy lacing is no surprise, after the head settles down a bit. Aroma has some citrusy lemon, spicy coriander, Saaz hops, and dank yeastiness. Mouthfeel is highly carbonated, with that Belgian effervesence. Dryness is immediately apparent. Light medium body. Unusual taste for a Belgian ale(label proclaims this "the hoppiest beer of Belgium"), with leafy, dry hops. Some white grape fruitiness lurks underneath and is the saving grace of this ale. Otherwise, a bit chalky and dry, with a dank yeast note and some coriander spiciness. Not as hoppy as an APA or IPA, but certainly more hoppy than other Belgians I've sampled. A nice session ale at 6% abv, and a most interesting take on a Belgian Golden Ale.

01-02-2005 00:42:42 | More by merlin48
kmpitz2

Tennessee

4.6/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a tulip glass. We're ringing in the new year in style. Beer number 5, and counting down to new years eastern. This one pours a very nice yellowed orange color with a very explosive head that overflowed the bottle upon uncorking it. Stickey lace is hanging in as heavy as I've ever seen it as the head recedes towards the beer. The nose is full of Saaz and Hallertau hops, very much like a highly hopped pilsner would smell in my mind. Underneath the hops there is a really nice orangey spicey character that lets me know this is a Belgian as well. Hmm. I think this is going to be a highlite for me. The flavor is really nice. A nice light hop that is hanging over the sweet and spicey malt. I do like it. The feel is moderate to thick and a nice slight creamy as well. Drinkability is really good. I'm happy to see a Belgian with a decent hop flavor. I do recommend this beer. Good show de Ranke.

01-01-2005 02:02:33 | More by kmpitz2
Dukeofearl

4.83/5  rDev +18.1%

750 ml bottle with a paper wrapper- label says 6.2% ABV. Label on the bottle says 6%. Take your pick. Lot No. 00018, best by 12/08. Corked and capped; the cork was a bear to get out, and head/foam built up behind it, making this a messy opening. I tried this immediately following one of my favorites, another Belgian hoppy beer, Orval. This was a fascinating comparison.

Pours a cloudy yellow-gold, much more yellow than golden. Not unlike the color of a wit, but looks thicker. Has a pretty 1 inch white head that sticks around a while, leaving lots of lace.

Aroma: make no mistake, it's hops. But not the oily, sharp, bitter smelling hops usually found, but much more flowery, lightly fruity profile (lemon, apples, pears, maybe pineapple?). Aroma is more subtle than Orval, but very pleasant.

Flavor- starts very pleasant, like a Belgian Pale Ale usually does, fruity, buttery, slightly toasted malt, but it quickly passes over to the full-blown hop character. Once again, gentle, but firm hoppiness. More flowery than pine oil hops. A real winner. Balance is incredible.

Mouthfeel is full and creamy. A treat to taste. Drinkability- I could drink it all night (in fact, I did!).

I have a hard time admitting it, but I may like this more than Orval, my favorite of this style. They each do things slightly differently, so I'll call it a draw. But oh, man, this is one of the best beers I've ever had, and this is from someone who generally prefers malty to hoppy!

12-31-2004 17:41:28 | More by Dukeofearl
Naerhu

Japan

4.7/5  rDev +14.9%

750 ml bottle wrapped in paper, with cap and cork (this double annoyance was why I did not give this five for appearance).

Hazy golden peach juice, with large smooth white head. Lacing is just crazy amounts of coating.

The aroma is massive hoppy, some sitting next to me told me it had to be a fruit beer if he could smell it from where he was sitting. Indeed there was citrus and spicy and hoppy beauty everywhere. I could not believe that this was a belgian beer, until I drank it.

The taste betrayed itself as not an IPA, but indeed a belgian pale ale as there was the tell tale belgian yeast smoothness. More than anything, this is a hop salad. The bitterness is refined and never harsh, despite coming in huge bucket loads.

This the easiest drinking belgian pale ale I have ever had. This was amazing. We went through two 750 ml bottles in a heart beat and were cursing ourselves that we did not buy 8 more bottles for the evening. This is amount the three great belgian beers in my opinon, with Saison Dupont and Hommel Popperings.

12-29-2004 10:17:12 | More by Naerhu
paterlodie

4.8/5  rDev +17.4%

Christmas night and drnking enjoying with friends... somhow have to go to the computer; feel the need to jidge. Why? cause i have a beer in my hands that is exceptional! Noce white head with a bright white coloer. Nose is hoppy, fruity and a wonderfull sweetness. Dry but clean hoppy taste with only litle malts and yeast, happily for that if you have such a nice hoppy flavour! Aftertaste only hop of the finest! Great beer if you like Humulus lupilus at his best!

12-25-2004 21:31:33 | More by paterlodie
Billolick

4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

on tap at the Moan and Dove. Golden, hazy, white head, strikingly good looking lace. hop/yeast nose, yum yum, this is gonna be good my senses tell me. Medium bodied brew. Gobs of Belgian yeast notes, fruity, spicy, earthy, phenolic. Crushing and crisp hops very evident, spice in the back ground, a bunch of yeast gremlins dancing around in the rear. Complex, sophisticated and mostly just fine and tasty. Seek and enjoy.

12-19-2004 12:14:17 | More by Billolick
TXHops

4.18/5  rDev +2.2%

Mmm--hops from Belgium. Such on oxymoron. I've been waiting years for this combo and De Ranke finally took a cue from their American craft brethren and threw some hops into that kettle!

If not for the standard Belgian yeast snap in the nose, I'd think this smelled like an APA (with Euro hops). The two conflicting aromas come together to create something like earthy oranges. The murky, hazed, light honey body is not terribly appealing, but the white head adds a nice offset, even if doesn't really want to linger. Still, in a beer like this, the appearance matters very little to my overall opinion.

The first sips reveal that the strange melding of hops and Belgian yeast is going to create tension through the entire bottle. I like this kind of tension… The earthy, herbal, slightly citric hops play against the fresh, sweet, funky yeastiness. At first, I was caught off guard by the touch of funk and though my taste buds were playing a trick of some sort. This beer didn’t have the outright oddity of a lambic (no barnyard), but it had an earthy, stone-like character, vaguely reminiscent of the character the Yorkshire squares impart to Samuel Smith beers, but without any diacetyl. I racked my brain hard until I found this on the Shelton Brothers web site: “Yeast obtained from the nearby Rodenbach brewery lends that Orval-like “Bret” character to the beers.” AHA! I knew something was up. Again—this conflict is rewarding in the resulting complexity, not just strange and disappointing (like Avery using Hallertaues in The Czar).

XX Bitter is smooth, but not as smooth as most other Belgians, and nowhere near as fluffy. An undercurrent of changing flavors rides beneath the dominant hoppy-brettiness. I tasted banana, lemon-lime, something vaguely nutty and a standard pale malt solidity.

Personally, I could do without the Rodenbach yeast, but it’s hard to argue with the complexity and of the results. I like a beer that’s a little challenging, in concept and in flavor and this one achieves both. Of all the Belgians I've had, this is one I'd actively search out to buy again.

12-18-2004 03:32:48 | More by TXHops
twelvsies

Maine

4.58/5  rDev +12%

I've recently been trying the higher-end Belgians (Fantome, De Ranke) and I can't quite say I've been blown out of the water as the hype or the reviews here seem to suggest one might be. Good beer for sure though, I'm just not sure I'm used to this style. Anyway, this one looks simply amazing. Biggest head I've ever seen on a beer, snow white, and laces all the way down. I wouldn't even say laces, it coats it; the actual foam is still sticking to the sides of the glass, creating a cave. Smell bitter of course, but not a hop bitter in the American sense. Spicy, yeasty, dirty, but withdrawn. This is no west coast IPA in terms of hops, but it is "the hoppiest beer in Belgium." The hop boquet is a more mellow floral hop profile here than is found in the American brews. The bitterness kills the palate at first, and is super dry. However, the further down the glass I get I become used to the bitterness and can taste the other fruity estery flavors. This beer is growing on me I'd say. Smooth light mouthfeel, very dry. I'll have to drink more of this style to become accostomed to it however, not as much in your face flavor to me.

Edit: I think I was in an IPA phase when I first tried this beer. I guess I was dissapointed that it wasn't as hoppy as I thought it might be due to it proclaiming itself "the hoppiest beer in Belgium." But on a second sampling this beer is just so good. I've come to appreciate the more subtle hop flavors and bitterness. This stuff is so good. Yum. Yum.

12-12-2004 16:54:51 | More by twelvsies
BrewMaster

4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

Appearance: Serve from a 750 ml bottle. As soon as it was opened it started frothing like crazy and even after I poured 2 glasses it was still frothing to the top of the bottle. It reminded me of the crazy carbonation in the Mo Betta Bretta from Pizza Port. The beer is a cloudy orange color that glows very nicely in the light. It has a white thin head that doesn't last too long on top (go figure after it was jumping our of the bottle).

Smell: The aroma is tangy with pineapple and sweet natural sugar scent and a bit of black pepper.

Taste: Very clean malt flavor with notes of licorice and dill. Its a bit watery and lacking any pepper flavor was in the nose. The ending is sweet like cane suggar and a nice vaulting rose floral flavor.

Mouthfeel: It tickles the tongue in a very good way. Medium to light body with abundant carbonation to give it a nice texture.

Drinkability: This is a good Belgian Pale Ale worth trying, but it is not a blockbuster. I would certianly drink it again given the chance, but I wouldn't go looking for it myself.

12-04-2004 00:22:17 | More by BrewMaster
BeerBuilder

4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

Grapefuit juice hazy yellow-orange color with a creamh white head. Lacing is just clinging all the way down the glass. The aroma is very citrusy, lemon zesty, slightly phenolic and yeasty as well. Whoa, this is one bitter Belgian bitch. Not at all what I was expecting. The flavor is slightly fruity and citrusy, which flows to a earthy, spicy bitterness, with a light touch of malt in the back. This brew is bitter all the way through. It is as bitter as some IPAs I've had, if not more. It has a light mouthfeel and is easy going down. A really interesting Belgian. This one is going to make me hungry.

11-24-2004 01:46:28 | More by BeerBuilder
OldFrothingSlosh

4.6/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Another fantastic offering on-tap at Anam Cara. Go to Anam Cara. Go now.

It all comes back to me...the boisterous head atop the cloudy yellow beer. Lacing everywhere. Aromas are a mix of orange rind, peppery spices, and fresh grassy hops. Flavor is a Belgian crossed with a big-time IPA. Loads of complexity roll across the palate. Dark fruits, hops....ending with a dryness infused with lemon rind. Great body and extremely drinkable. Awesome.

11-16-2004 02:03:17 | More by OldFrothingSlosh
mschofield

Pours a cloudy lemon-peach topped with a two finger stark white foamy head, leaves a temporary sheet of lacing.
Leafy aroma, spice note with fruit. I think this is what we'd have if Belgium instead of England expanded into India.
Fruit, leaves, light malt taste, lots of lemon
Medium bodied

11-03-2004 00:31:58 | More by mschofield
tavernjef

4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

Hazy golden straw color with lighter edges and a thin puffy white head, keeps a solid skim and puffy edged ring around the top. Lacing keeps close to the top of the liquid with a nice white wall of sheeting.

Aroma is pleasantly strong with a hoppy play between a nice dry and pale floral peak capped with a slight spice and citric edge. Dry bready yeast tones intertwine within as it warms; very nice aroma with this one.

Flavors don't elude to the namesake "XX Bitter" as much as I was hoping but it does carry a wonderful display of hop senses that are completely carried over from the aroma. Front is quick with a slight sweet malt and breadyness, which quickly turns dry in the bread tone, slight earthy, spicy, drying slips right in over the palate with a very nice hop profile which includes the floralness with a pale dried hop cone sense and light nuances of citric leftovers and one pale effect of bitterness thats quite clean and lingers some into the finish where more bready dryness sticks around.

Feel is quick and clean with an overall clean and favorable dry medium body thats got a nice fluffy carbonation thats fulfillingly smooth and bready. Quite drinkable in that regards. Slides right down with ease and carries a nice finish of hop character and flavors the whole ride through without alot of hankering bitterness. Which I wouldn't mind having show up more in this one, but as is this is one fine dandy, drinkable, dry hopped ale. I think I'll have another thank you. And a thanks to truthbrew for the many bottles.

09-30-2004 23:54:38 | More by tavernjef
danadeny

Colorado

3.78/5  rDev -7.6%

Excellent murky golden color and frothy head, one of the best. Smells like a nice pilsner with a hint of lemon. Tastes exactly like a pilsner with a hint of lemon. Crisp, clean mouth feel, with a watery finish. And an average drink ability because pilsners are just not for me. Although I would say that this is the best pilsner I have had (technically it's not a pils, but it pretty much is).

09-08-2004 17:27:12 | More by danadeny
marburg

4.72/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cloudy maize with a big, billowing white head and solid lacing. Pronounced hop aroma with mild citrus and sponge cake. There's an amazing amount of hop bitterness to this beer, but unlike most English/American takes, the initial flavors one encounters in this beer are well spiced and completely unique. Banana, lemon, and even some phenolic, plastic clove flavor comes through. Mineral water and a raw, oily feel lend a certain dull weight to this beer. Heavy, despite it's "fluffy" appearance. A true Belgian pale ale with a heavy dosage of hops. This is something yeasty, complex, wild, and uniquely Belgian with an intense bitterness around the edges. Even better fresh and on draft.

08-31-2004 02:18:44 | More by marburg
rkhaze

4.13/5  rDev +1%

Pours a cloudy golden peach color with a big, rocky white head.
Smells of sweet pale malt, tropical fruit, tangy yeast and a zingy hop aroma. There was a smidge of funk as well.
The malt and citrus fruits were there but the hops really exploded onto the scene and left a long, lingering bitterness. Overpowered the malt and seemed to unbalance the whole. There were also some funky and spicy flavors and some sweetness in the finish. It claims to be Belgiums' most bitter beer and it's certainly lives up to that claim, at least next to the Belgian beers I've tried.
Superb mouthfeel. Light to medium bodied with a velvety smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Excellent amount of carbonation.
Light, crisp and flavorful. Great drinkability.

08-19-2004 01:10:14 | More by rkhaze
crookedhalo

4.65/5  rDev +13.7%

75 cl corked and capped bottle dated best before 12-2008. Pours a hazy, golden peach color with a huge light cream colored head that's lasting and leaving lace as it slowly subsides. Big fresh, floral hop aroma (I'm picking up on some Saaz and Hallertau), somewhat spicy in character. Decent malt backbone evident, but the beer's yeastiness seems to shine brighter than the malt, but the winner is the hops. Very dry on the palate, spicy and white peppery, with a hint of citrus, but it gets lost in the mix. Silky mouthfeel with excellent carbonation keeps the drinker sipping. Highly enjoyable, refreshing and jaw-droppingly delicious.

08-04-2004 20:19:24 | More by crookedhalo
Rastacouere

Quebec (Canada)

4.45/5  rDev +8.8%

It pours a muddy golden with an honest off-white head from which only a film will last. Let’s take note that this bottle is a year and a few months past 1 yr old, so the bitterness level must not be what it used to be. First sniff indicated very yeasty aspects that remind me of a cement-floored basement with a bit too high of a humidity level, a fair bit too many cobwebs hanging on the ceiling and just too much dust on the books that decorate the walls. Nevertheless, the hops are strong although not as agressive as I thought, reading the labels, I see they’ve used hallertau which I love. It’s very floral, lemony, slightly resiny, lightly orangey. In mouth, the musty yeast and noble hops work very well together. It’s extremely refreshing, salty with a moderate bitter attack that finishes spicy. Silky medium body. Excellent, I guess the age made it wonders for me, not being a fan of very citrusy and sour american IPAs.

07-05-2004 16:56:18 | More by Rastacouere