Cuvée De Ranke - Brouwerij De Ranke

Cuvée De RankeCuvée De Ranke

Brouwerij De Ranke visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  7.00% ABV

From the brewery: "Cuvee is an ale of mixed origin like many Belgian breweries used to make. The production process is nearly the same as for the Kriek, the difference being that no cherries are added. It's a naturally acidified ale in which we try to reach the perfect balance between sweet and sour. This amber-coloured ale contains 7% vol. Alc. and can age really nice."

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 05-22-2008)
1.98/5  rDev -52.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Reviewed from notes.
Let me start by saying that I made a mistake. The 2 other De Ranke products I have had have been nothing short of glorious. Yeah I said Glorious. De Ranke XX and Guldenburg are two personal favorites and I was under the impression that this was cut from the same Jib. Style is indicated as belgian pale, label did not indicate what I was in for. This being said...

Poured from a corked and caped 750ml bottle into a 20oz pint glass. Firm pour yields zero head nada zilch. Poured the color of apple cider.
Nose- Apple cider, sour rotton apples, not much else.
Taste- Ugh, per the preface not what I was expecting. Not certain what this is, but I now can say that I am not a fan. Exceedingly sour, bitterness, rotton apples, very low carbonation. Almost akin to one of those sour apple candies minus all sweetness.
Drinkability- Drain pour. Finished half a glass, couldnt finish the rest.
Mouthfeel- Bitter very low carbonation. Very dry.

First and only drain pour so far. My expectations could not have been more off on this one. If you are into sours, you might enjoy.

2.25/5  rDev -46.4%

2.3/5  rDev -45.2%

Live review. Poured from the 1 pint, 9.4 oz. bottle that I purchased for $13.99 at Rozi's in Lakewood along with two other "De Ranke" beers that I will taste and review in the coming days. Poured into my Westvleteren silver rimmed goblet. Best before end of: 04 2013 stamped on the paper wrapper around the bottle. "Belgian Sour Ale with Lambic added" also appears on the paper wrapper. No label on the actual bottle inside the paper wrapping.

A Translucent straw yellow body under a minimal, one cm creamy head that dissipates within about 2 minutes into a ring around the top. Not that exciting really. 2.0

S Belgian yeast, some malt but a tartness that I did not expect to be this strong. I suppose that is the "Sour Ale" aspect coming through. 3.0

T Kind of basic, light sour ale with Belgian yeast tastes of grains. The taste kind of disspears after 15 seconds in my mouth but I am left with a lemon juice citrus taste for a few minutes. I do not really like the taste of this beer, just being honest. 2.0

M Pretty thin but beefed up by the "sour" tastes and the Belgian yeasts. 3.0

D Not good. I absolutely love Belgian beer but this one was a drain pour. 2.0

Notes: I am sure that I need to develop my palate more to understand sours. This one was just something that I would rather not drink. Having just had the Kriek de Ranke, I cannot help but compare. At least that one had the attraction of cherries with lambic (cherries can be sour tasting at times so it worked better). Next up is the Guldenberg.

2.35/5  rDev -44%

Thanks Nic, for giving me the opportunity to try a beer I never would have tried on my own (nor will again). Pours a light amber color, with a small white head. On the nose, this one is very acidic, sour and barnyard-y. Thin on the palate, acidic, vinegar.

2.48/5  rDev -41%

2.78/5  rDev -33.8%

A: A very cloudy golden orange pour. Small white head that quickly settles down to almost nothing. Just the smallest hint of lacing.

S: Lots of lemons and oak up front. Maybe some sour apples? A bit of wet hay/grass. Smells...funky.

T: Very sour and acidic. Tastes like lemon and apricot bitterness with no sweetness. Some oak and earth tones. Very acidic aftertaste, almost like vinegar.

M: Puckering and very drying.

O: Wish this beer had been properly classified as a sour and not as a BPA so I wouldn't have wasted $15 on a drainpour. Be forewarned if you don't like sours!

3.25/5  rDev -22.6%

3.39/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.55/5  rDev -15.5%

750mL bottle, a portion of which was poured into my Lindemans Stange.

A - Urine color, rather cloudy, with a small head

S - amazing and complex: musty attic/barnyard...as expected, lemon, lactic acid, orange zest, wood, hair, and dog vomit (the last two are my closest approximations of what I am smelling)

T - not as great as the smell. lactic acid, with lemon rearing its head intermittently, it's somewhat puckering at times, but the taste did not have near the same complexity that the nose did.

M - great. perfect sour carbonation

D - wasn't worth it, really.

3.58/5  rDev -14.8%

Purchased at Foodery in Philly. 750mL brown glass pry-top bottle wrapped in paper, best before 10 2015.

Pours a very calm orange gold color with very very thin white head. Nose smells like a classic funk ball, oaky, woody, earthy, lemony, etc.

Palate is funky but a little watery on the texture. Lemon rind, wood grain (i.e. fresh cut boards), some funky bacterial oddness, moss and forest floor. Finish is of moderate length. Palate is a touch sweet for having this much funk. More malt flavor and texture shows through than say a gueuze.

Notes: Tasty, but not as amazing as people have told me it is.

3.6/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A clear, orange, copper beer with a faint head.

Smell is tart and has a funky character. There are notes of flowers and barnyard.

Taste is tart, really sour with a distinct gueuze character. This is really funky with barnyard notes. Hints of straw and flowers come to mind. Although I am not a big fan of these funky beers, this tastes pretty good with my Chinese dish. When I got through the sourness, this is actually a easy drinking beer. Every sip is still tart, but it is light and refreshing.

You could have fouled me by saying this was a Saison of Gueuze. If this came from Fantome, it woudl be a Saison.

3.6/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a light orange color with a nice frothy head, looks a lot like a gueuze.

Smells extremely funky and quite sour. Getting lots of fruit mixed in too--orange and grape and lemon. This smells pretty damn good.

Taste is similar--still very funky and even more sour than I expected. Very acidic, this one definitely made me pucker up. The fruit flavors are back too, but this time they're accompanied by an odd musty dryness that comes at the end of each sip and lasts into the aftertaste. The flavors here are very complex and mostly very good, but there's also something a little off that makes it hard to drink more than like a glass of this (I had three but it was hard to finish the last one). I'm still tempted to give this one an even higher rating though. I wanna have it again.

7.2/10

3.63/5  rDev -13.6%

A: Pours a cloudy peach color with honey-colored highlights at the edges. Has very little head to speak of, and only the faintest wisp of a donut collar, made up of fine champagne bubbles.

S: Wood, horse blanket/barnyard funk, leather, plum, sour and tart lemon.

T: Wow, tons going on here. An initial vinegar sourness and funk composed of lemon and green apple flavors, with a dark plum and cherry sweetness. The tartness remains through the rest of the taste, but it's overlaid by wood and leather in the mid-taste, and a general barnyard / earthy / leather mash in the end. The finish is a clean dryness.

M: Light-bodied, with a sticky sourness. The carbonation is light and does ok for the style.

D: This was fairly expensive (>$15), and I'm not sure it was worth it. A pretty good beer but not an excellent one.

3.64/5  rDev -13.3%

3.65/5  rDev -13.1%

Moderate head but it recedes to a single layer of minute bubbles. There are sporadic spots of lace. The beer is an orange-gold color. Hazy.

Strong sour smell that is reminiscent of a lambic.

Lip puckering sourness--similar to sucking a lemon. The beginning has pale malt dryness. The full body is matched with a higher than expected level of carbonation. The aftertaste is a continuation of the tartness. I detect no hop.

3.68/5  rDev -12.4%

Notes from a tasting on 8/15. thanks to danedelman for bringing this one out.

a - pours a murky orange with a think fizzy head.

s - smells nice. pretty sweet tart. some grass and hay.

t - pretty earty and grassy. geuze with a sour kick, not bad at all.

m - prickly but soft. easy for a sunday morning.

o - nice geuze vibe, not worth the price of admission in my opinion, but rather tasty. pretty surprised to see that this is classified as a BPA.

3.7/5  rDev -11.9%

750ml bottle $12.99. Nice dark, cloudy orange color. It smells deliciously sour. The taste is nice and sour, musty, old, some bits of wood (lambic?). The only problem I had with this beer is it seemed a little acidic and was kind of hard on my stomach. Good beer but I probably won't bother cellaring any.

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

Cuvée De Ranke

Appearance: Dark orange-yellow, small head, and some lacing.

Smell: Acidic sourness, grapeskins, and grapefruit.

Taste: Acidic sour bitterness and grapeskins.

Mouthfeel: Medium.

Overall:
The sourness comes quick and then fades just as fast. It would go great with a meal.

3.74/5  rDev -11%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Moinette chalice. Expiration date 8/6/17.

A - Hazy dark gold. Eggshell head that dissipates quickly.

S - Tart lemon, a little horse blanket, but mostly light breadiness.

T - Lemonade-esque, not a tart bomb at all, sourness is very subtle. A little tart cherry, along w/ sourdough breadiness. Refreshing.

M - Medium with lively carbonation. Still coats well and the bubbles scrub the palate clean.

O - The lack of tartness is refreshing at first, but then you start to miss that tart punch. This is a blend of aged geuze and fresh Belgian blond ale, I need to remember that. But a very refreshing, tasty beer. Not quite worth the price, though.

Cuvée De Ranke from Brouwerij De Ranke