Kriek De Ranke - Brouwerij De Ranke

Kriek De RankeKriek De Ranke

Brouwerij De Ranke visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  7.00% ABV

Based on an extinct yet favorite tipple of the De Ranke owners, Nino Bacelle and Guido Devos, De Ranke Kriek emulates the famed Oud Kriekenbier from the defunct Crombé brewery in Zottegem. De Ranke Kriek is a mixture of two blended soured pale ales and Girardin lambic, all steeped in whole fresh cherries from Poland and then aged for six months. A unique and much sought after Kriekenbier.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-24-2002)

Floyd-O, Oct 18, 2014

mquartuccio87, Oct 02, 2013

rorgirl, May 29, 2012
3.1/5  rDev -26.4%

from bottle cap: EXP 09/06/17
A: tahiti treat!; cranberry juice; translucent
S: kind of wet cardboard, not getting much cherry or much of anything
T: tart but not too much; not a lot of cherry character and what is there is pretty lean; slightly musty finish that is not appealing; just a touch of sourness; not a lot of flavour but what's there is quite interesting; finishes fast
M: light bodied, elegant,
O: This beer really doesn't do much for me at all. Not a lot of flavour or complexity, very little aroma, beautiful mouthfeel but all-in-all kind of disappointing. Did I miss something/ Drink it too soon?

EspressoGuy, May 17, 2014
3.23/5  rDev -23.3%

A 750 mL bottle just for myself. A corked bottle. It opens with a small pop.

Appearance is red, copper with a small head, that is creamy and settles on the side of the glass. Some carbonation visible.

Smell is tart, lots of red fruit, raspberries, cherries. strawberries. Lactic acid. Maybe some lemon.

Taste is tart, and more acidic than I expected. In fact there is not much else to taste because of it. Traces of the fruit. Although the acidity grows on me, every sip is like taking medicine. Body is medium to thin and drinkability is strongly inhibited by the acidity. For me this is a drainpour.

Absumaster, May 23, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -22.8%

Trashcat, Nov 21, 2014
3.3/5  rDev -21.6%

Due to an impending construction project, I've been forced to clear out the cellar. This one was good until 2009, the 750 corked and capped bottle as pictured. Ruby red with a reddish-touched thick head. It quickly dissipated, but left nice lacing. Nose is tart and funky.

The first couple of drinks are heavily sour and funky. Once your mouth gets used to that, there is a very subtle and sweet cherry background waiting to be had. Nice, but keeps reminding me of acid reflux at times. Though not as funky as others out there, I'd still like to have more of that cherry hiding in the background and lesss funky.

Umbra, Mar 19, 2007
3.33/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bright cherry red color yields a cloudy body but a bright white head of intense fizz. There's a tart cherry nose but mostly I get a strong mineral rock aroma. The flavor is light, tart natural cherry sweet but the minerally taste comes rushing through. It's like sucking on a rock. The feel is easy, not too sour but slightly acidic. I love a sour or a lambic or for that matter nearly every fruit based beer but not this one.

KYGunner, May 28, 2014
3.35/5  rDev -20.4%

Creamy, pinkish red with small white head.
Cherries, rasberries and malt, wrapped in a gueuzy creamy funky blanket.
Very dry and tart. This beer makes you work at liking it, and frankly, it makes you work too hard. Sour cherries, rasberries and cranberries.
Full bodied with fine carbonation.
Shared it with 4 people, and none of them liked it. I dont know what a traditional kried would be, but I doubt this is it. Most alcoholic beverages brewed several hundred years ago had low abv and high sugar. This is quite the reverse.

Naerhu, Jun 13, 2007
3.4/5  rDev -19.2%

Reviewed from notes; originally 11/19/10.

A-Pours a strawberry color with a one finger, pinkish head.

S-Really sour, tart smelling with some funk and a bit of lemon.

T-A lot of sour, tart, lactic cherries with some lemon, the slightest hint of sweetness, and some leather.

M-Light bodied with medium to heavy carbonation.

D-One of the more sour, one dimensional fruit lambics I've had.

samie85, Dec 13, 2010
3.45/5  rDev -18.1%

Man, I'm excited to finally get to try this... I eyed this for several months before finally grabbing the last one off of the shelves...

Poured into my new Lost Abbey tulip/goblet.

This opened without the slightest sound at all but produced a gentle head atop a pale reddish liquid...

Aromas are heavy on the funk and earthiness... Faint cherries present but this one is all about the barnyard. They aren't all that pungent to begin with really... Slightly vinegary as well...

Starts tart and fruity with a lingering earthy funk in the background. Not overwhelmingly sour or tart. Fairly straightforward fruit with some vinegar aspects.

I was hoping for a touch more here... Maybe I should have waited a bit longer?

Tilley4, Apr 12, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Live review. Poured from the 1 pint, 9.4 oz. bottle that I purchased for $13.99 at Rozi's in Lakewood along with two other "De Ranke" beers that I will taste and review in the coming days. Poured into my Westvleteren silver rimmed goblet. Best before end of: 04 2013 stamped on the paper wrapper around the bottle. No label on the actual bottle inside the paper wrapping.

A Dark fruit punch look of translucent cherry red under a brief, light pink head that dissipates from 1 cm to a ring around the top of the beer within about 60 seconds. 3.5

S Cherries and barley malt predominate. Also other lambics that I have had come to mind. 3.5

T Tart cherries, some barley grains, lingering sweet cherry taste in the back of my throat. I am sure that this is a classic Kriek taste but it is a bit unidimensional when I think of the multitude of dynamic beers that I have had. I even believe that I have had better Kriek beers but this is a very solid one. 3.5

M There is that tartness and barley taste that beefs it up a bit but this is a rather thin beer, true to style of course. If anything, the term "classic" comes to mind when I think about the feel of this beer. 3.0

D Not bad but again, it is a bit too straightforward in its cherry/lambic tartness to be interesting enough to seek out again or to drink any more than this 1 pint, 9.4 ounces. 3.5

Notes: I am coming around to krieks but I think that I need more practice. I am not sure that I really dig the cherry tartness. I recall Oud Beersell having this same cherry tartness that I did not really appreciate at that time. On to the Cuvee de Ranke tomorrow night.

adamette, Dec 13, 2009

Moses_Malone, Nov 05, 2014

ygtbsm94, Jan 26, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

Pours a bright red colour - very hazy, with pink-tinged white head. Lace is speckled, fairly thin. Yeah, looks odd, but not bad. I mean it's suitable for style. But it's odd, like the style.

Yeah, very sour nose, lots of cherry character, some cheese rind funk to it as well. Hints of red vinous notes, tart and acidic with a slight tomatoey note lingering at the back. Not bad.

Taste is very sour, fruity, with lots of tomatoey boldness to it coupled with mottled hints of cherry. The tart cherry juice character and bits of bitter cherry skin flavours come through on the mid, but that tomatoey aspect just won't leave my mind. Fairly refreshing, with nice fruity characters and a good hit of funk on the back. Crisp and tart. Pretty nice.

Has a good, firm body to it. Slightly puckering on the back though.

I'm not a big fan of the style, but if you're in the mood for a sour, cherry-flavoured beer this is one to look for.

laituegonflable, Sep 15, 2010

Kelp, Mar 02, 2014

chadwicktorres, Sep 16, 2014

westcoastbeerlvr, Jan 10, 2013

HookemHoos, Aug 13, 2014
3.55/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

750 ml bottle split and poured into a tulip.
7% ABV, Best before end 09 2015, "Date of bottling is 5 years prior to the best before date".

Thanks to Sweemzander for this quick tick as I headed through town, a la NickD-style. :P

A - The vibrant ruby red beer is slightly hazy in color with a poorly retained pink fluffy head. Light smatterings of lace are left adorning the glass.

S - The aroma is full of fresh, tart, crushed cherries and cherry skin. A mild malt backing is offset by the subtle funk aroma of the yeast.

T - Sour opening but the flavor is thin and flat with a low backing of malt. Cherry tartness blends well with the nice yeast funk.

M - Deliciously sour but still balanced, not too bold. Tart, funky, dry, and refreshing.

O - It's a brew that's decent all around and drinkable but not very exciting. Not that every beer needs to be complex, but the flavor is just a bit on the thinner side with this one.

BeerFMAndy, Apr 13, 2011
3.6/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Found by complete surprise at Holiday Wine Cellars in Escondido California in March (or so), 2007. Tasted in May of the same year. Paper cover of the unlabelled bottle is printed with Best Before 12/2010, and that it was bottled 5 years prior, so this is a little over a year old.

Cap and cork open easliy enough- as I am finishing cooking dinner, the bottle decides to start spouting foam all by itself as it sits on the counter- I'm always amused (and a little confused) when this happens.

Pours a very murky cherry red with what starts as a good head, that drops to nothing. A top up refreshes the head for a few seconds, then back to nothing again.

Aroma is well, of cherries. What else? Tart cherries. And guess what- the flavor follows through. Tart. I expected lambic sour, and I guess that's there, but to me it's all tart, not sour. Maybe splitting hairs, but it is pretty overwhelming.

I took a chance, and served this with fish that had a mango salsa-type sauce. Big mistake. I thought the fruit would match with the fruit, but the sweet and the tart did not match. It kept me from liking this at first.

Even after dinner, while I have my "beer hat" on, I settle on realizing that this is an incredible recipe, very daring, very on the edge, but the real bottom line is that I just don't really enjoy it that much. So my review scores are a mix of appreciating this for what it is, but also realizing that's it's just not my kind of beer. And to be honest, I really haven't found a kriek yet that is my type. I won't likely return to this one.

Dukeofearl, May 13, 2007