Kriek De Ranke - Brouwerij De Ranke

Kriek De RankeKriek De Ranke

Brouwerij De Ranke visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-24-2002

Based on an extinct yet favorite tipple of the De Ranke owners, Nino Bacelle and Guido Devos, De Ranke Kriek emulates the famed Oud Kriekenbier from the defunct Crombé brewery in Zottegem. De Ranke Kriek is a mixture of two blended soured pale ales and Girardin lambic, all steeped in whole fresh cherries from Poland and then aged for six months. A unique and much sought after Kriekenbier.
3.09/5  rDev -27%

from bottle cap: EXP 09/06/17
A: tahiti treat!; cranberry juice; translucent
S: kind of wet cardboard, not getting much cherry or much of anything
T: tart but not too much; not a lot of cherry character and what is there is pretty lean; slightly musty finish that is not appealing; just a touch of sourness; not a lot of flavour but what's there is quite interesting; finishes fast
M: light bodied, elegant,
O: This beer really doesn't do much for me at all. Not a lot of flavour or complexity, very little aroma, beautiful mouthfeel but all-in-all kind of disappointing. Did I miss something/ Drink it too soon?

3.27/5  rDev -22.7%

A 750 mL bottle just for myself. A corked bottle. It opens with a small pop.

Appearance is red, copper with a small head, that is creamy and settles on the side of the glass. Some carbonation visible.

Smell is tart, lots of red fruit, raspberries, cherries. strawberries. Lactic acid. Maybe some lemon.

Taste is tart, and more acidic than I expected. In fact there is not much else to taste because of it. Traces of the fruit. Although the acidity grows on me, every sip is like taking medicine. Body is medium to thin and drinkability is strongly inhibited by the acidity. For me this is a drainpour.

3.33/5  rDev -21.3%

Due to an impending construction project, I've been forced to clear out the cellar. This one was good until 2009, the 750 corked and capped bottle as pictured. Ruby red with a reddish-touched thick head. It quickly dissipated, but left nice lacing. Nose is tart and funky.

The first couple of drinks are heavily sour and funky. Once your mouth gets used to that, there is a very subtle and sweet cherry background waiting to be had. Nice, but keeps reminding me of acid reflux at times. Though not as funky as others out there, I'd still like to have more of that cherry hiding in the background and lesss funky.

3.34/5  rDev -21%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bright cherry red color yields a cloudy body but a bright white head of intense fizz. There's a tart cherry nose but mostly I get a strong mineral rock aroma. The flavor is light, tart natural cherry sweet but the minerally taste comes rushing through. It's like sucking on a rock. The feel is easy, not too sour but slightly acidic. I love a sour or a lambic or for that matter nearly every fruit based beer but not this one.

3.4/5  rDev -19.6%

Creamy, pinkish red with small white head.
Cherries, rasberries and malt, wrapped in a gueuzy creamy funky blanket.
Very dry and tart. This beer makes you work at liking it, and frankly, it makes you work too hard. Sour cherries, rasberries and cranberries.
Full bodied with fine carbonation.
Shared it with 4 people, and none of them liked it. I dont know what a traditional kried would be, but I doubt this is it. Most alcoholic beverages brewed several hundred years ago had low abv and high sugar. This is quite the reverse.

3.43/5  rDev -18.9%

Man, I'm excited to finally get to try this... I eyed this for several months before finally grabbing the last one off of the shelves...

Poured into my new Lost Abbey tulip/goblet.

This opened without the slightest sound at all but produced a gentle head atop a pale reddish liquid...

Aromas are heavy on the funk and earthiness... Faint cherries present but this one is all about the barnyard. They aren't all that pungent to begin with really... Slightly vinegary as well...

Starts tart and fruity with a lingering earthy funk in the background. Not overwhelmingly sour or tart. Fairly straightforward fruit with some vinegar aspects.

I was hoping for a touch more here... Maybe I should have waited a bit longer?

3.44/5  rDev -18.7%

Reviewed from notes; originally 11/19/10.

A-Pours a strawberry color with a one finger, pinkish head.

S-Really sour, tart smelling with some funk and a bit of lemon.

T-A lot of sour, tart, lactic cherries with some lemon, the slightest hint of sweetness, and some leather.

M-Light bodied with medium to heavy carbonation.

D-One of the more sour, one dimensional fruit lambics I've had.

3.45/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Live review. Poured from the 1 pint, 9.4 oz. bottle that I purchased for $13.99 at Rozi's in Lakewood along with two other "De Ranke" beers that I will taste and review in the coming days. Poured into my Westvleteren silver rimmed goblet. Best before end of: 04 2013 stamped on the paper wrapper around the bottle. No label on the actual bottle inside the paper wrapping.

A Dark fruit punch look of translucent cherry red under a brief, light pink head that dissipates from 1 cm to a ring around the top of the beer within about 60 seconds. 3.5

S Cherries and barley malt predominate. Also other lambics that I have had come to mind. 3.5

T Tart cherries, some barley grains, lingering sweet cherry taste in the back of my throat. I am sure that this is a classic Kriek taste but it is a bit unidimensional when I think of the multitude of dynamic beers that I have had. I even believe that I have had better Kriek beers but this is a very solid one. 3.5

M There is that tartness and barley taste that beefs it up a bit but this is a rather thin beer, true to style of course. If anything, the term "classic" comes to mind when I think about the feel of this beer. 3.0

D Not bad but again, it is a bit too straightforward in its cherry/lambic tartness to be interesting enough to seek out again or to drink any more than this 1 pint, 9.4 ounces. 3.5

Notes: I am coming around to krieks but I think that I need more practice. I am not sure that I really dig the cherry tartness. I recall Oud Beersell having this same cherry tartness that I did not really appreciate at that time. On to the Cuvee de Ranke tomorrow night.

3.5/5  rDev -17.3%

Pours a bright red colour - very hazy, with pink-tinged white head. Lace is speckled, fairly thin. Yeah, looks odd, but not bad. I mean it's suitable for style. But it's odd, like the style.

Yeah, very sour nose, lots of cherry character, some cheese rind funk to it as well. Hints of red vinous notes, tart and acidic with a slight tomatoey note lingering at the back. Not bad.

Taste is very sour, fruity, with lots of tomatoey boldness to it coupled with mottled hints of cherry. The tart cherry juice character and bits of bitter cherry skin flavours come through on the mid, but that tomatoey aspect just won't leave my mind. Fairly refreshing, with nice fruity characters and a good hit of funk on the back. Crisp and tart. Pretty nice.

Has a good, firm body to it. Slightly puckering on the back though.

I'm not a big fan of the style, but if you're in the mood for a sour, cherry-flavoured beer this is one to look for.

3.55/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

750 ml bottle split and poured into a tulip.
7% ABV, Best before end 09 2015, "Date of bottling is 5 years prior to the best before date".

Thanks to Sweemzander for this quick tick as I headed through town, a la NickD-style. :P

A - The vibrant ruby red beer is slightly hazy in color with a poorly retained pink fluffy head. Light smatterings of lace are left adorning the glass.

S - The aroma is full of fresh, tart, crushed cherries and cherry skin. A mild malt backing is offset by the subtle funk aroma of the yeast.

T - Sour opening but the flavor is thin and flat with a low backing of malt. Cherry tartness blends well with the nice yeast funk.

M - Deliciously sour but still balanced, not too bold. Tart, funky, dry, and refreshing.

O - It's a brew that's decent all around and drinkable but not very exciting. Not that every beer needs to be complex, but the flavor is just a bit on the thinner side with this one.

3.62/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Found by complete surprise at Holiday Wine Cellars in Escondido California in March (or so), 2007. Tasted in May of the same year. Paper cover of the unlabelled bottle is printed with Best Before 12/2010, and that it was bottled 5 years prior, so this is a little over a year old.

Cap and cork open easliy enough- as I am finishing cooking dinner, the bottle decides to start spouting foam all by itself as it sits on the counter- I'm always amused (and a little confused) when this happens.

Pours a very murky cherry red with what starts as a good head, that drops to nothing. A top up refreshes the head for a few seconds, then back to nothing again.

Aroma is well, of cherries. What else? Tart cherries. And guess what- the flavor follows through. Tart. I expected lambic sour, and I guess that's there, but to me it's all tart, not sour. Maybe splitting hairs, but it is pretty overwhelming.

I took a chance, and served this with fish that had a mango salsa-type sauce. Big mistake. I thought the fruit would match with the fruit, but the sweet and the tart did not match. It kept me from liking this at first.

Even after dinner, while I have my "beer hat" on, I settle on realizing that this is an incredible recipe, very daring, very on the edge, but the real bottom line is that I just don't really enjoy it that much. So my review scores are a mix of appreciating this for what it is, but also realizing that's it's just not my kind of beer. And to be honest, I really haven't found a kriek yet that is my type. I won't likely return to this one.

3.73/5  rDev -11.8%

Good looking red and clear...pretty small head.
Smells mostly of earthy lambic funk....some cherry aroma.
Tastes extremely tart...acidic..funky , very dry sour cherry comes through the funk. The tart does not let up....no matter how many sips...it comes at you like it's the first.
Mouthfeel is thin and pretty carbonated.
Fairly drinkable, if you really like tart cherry funk.

3.74/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dense, almost-opaque purple/punk with some pink-ish head that recedes quickly to some lacing around the glass.

Smells almost . . . sweaty? With a bit of copper, some almost chlorine scent? Definite vinegar. Tart cherries, Vinous. Milky.

Taste is, again, funky, almost sweaty. Soapy? Sour cherries, slight milkiness, balsamic vinegar. The alcohol is noticeable beneath the layers of sweet and tart and funky. Moderate body, moderate-high carbonation.

Your enjoyment of this will hinge on what you make of the slightly funky/sweaty/chemical scent and taste. Get beyond that and it's lovely (the cherry flavour is not quite as pronounced as others I've had in the style, it's not quite so sweet). If you can't, this is going to turn you right off.

3.74/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours raspberry red with a pinkish head that looks kindof like whipped topping on a strawberry pie.

Smells super funky and somewhat fruity--strawberry is the strongest aroma I get even though I know it's a cherry sour.

Tastes very funky and pretty sour but not as acidic and sour as the Cuvee de Ranke. Not super fruity, it's obvious it was brewed with fruit but the fruit isn't dominant in the flavors. I get watermelon and some cherries and maybe strawberry.

A nice beer but it's not as complex as the Cuvee de Ranke and not as fruit forward as I would like.

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%

Paper-wrapped bottle best by 04/2013 (meaning it was bottled last April).

A: Pours a translucent vibrant ruby/magenta with a pinkish colored head that leaves some short-lived wet lacing.

S: Sour, funky aromas flood the nose before the glass is even raised. Strong musky barnyard aromas, bit of bandaid, and some mild cherry syrup sweetness way in the background.

T: Flavors and sourness are extremely mild when compared to the nose. Berry-like flavors are there, but quite subdued. I'd never pick out cherry. Heavy on the musky/barnyard flavors and noticeable woodiness from the barrel aging. Finish is semi-sour and dry.

M: Light to medium bodied, but much less carbonation than say a Cantillon; almost feels a bit flat, but has the sour graininess.

D: Overall, I'm slightly disappointed in this highly-ranked lambic. I'm willing to bet that a lot has to due with the young age ( < 1 year) of this particular bottle. It's certainly drinkable and well-crafted but I was expecting a bit more of a burst of sourness and complexity in general. The taste is a bit of a letdown following the nose.

3.78/5  rDev -10.6%

Reviewed on 6/5/08. Bottle, 2005. Pours a muddy brown/red with a small light tan head. Aroma is super sour, barnyard funk. Flavor is quite tart and sour with sour fruit (I can't quite pick out cherries, just a general berry-like taste) and some oak/wood. The fruitiness keeps this from getting too sour. Even though I'm not really a fan of super sour beers, I actually enjoyed this a lot. A pleasant sour surprise.
7/4/8/4/15 (3.8/5)

3.8/5  rDev -10.2%

Pours a bright orange that is just a tad red. Aroma - crisp sour smells of tarty cherries, apples, and pears. First taste is sweet and bitter with cherries, green apples, and grapes dominating the flavor. A very nice mouthfeel compliments this sour well. A good sipper that is on the mild side of sour.

3.8/5  rDev -10.2%

Bottle with a best by date of 09/2012 which apparently means it was bottled in September, 2007. I was a little wary because despite how much I enjoyed the flavor of cuvee de ranke, it really upset my stomach and I only had half a bottle. This is much easier to drink. Nice red color with a pink foamy head that dies fast. It smells real nice like cherries, barnyard brett, funk, manure, good. The flavor is smooth cherries and not really sour at all, very easy to drink. On to the next one.

3.81/5  rDev -9.9%

Poured into my Lindemans flute, this beer raised a two finger effervescent pink head over a hazy, deeply red and translucent body. It's simply an beautiful beer, as everyone present agreed. The nose is all about sour cherries, with a little bit of lambic funk and a woody scent. Taste is very sour, funky, and full of dry cherries. This is no sweet lambic, but it's far more approachable than the Cantillon varieties. The mouth is very nice - medium bodied, and a bit tingly. It's definitely hard to drink on its own, but paired with food, it shines. Garrett Oliver suggested mole with kriek, and while this isn't a standard kriek, it really worked its magic with a Qdoba chicken mole burrito.

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

A: Very red. No seriously, it's like ruby-red grapefruit juice. Has a little off-white/pink head. Wild.

S: Sour fruit. Funky/wild.

T: Sour raspberry. It's quite tart, but it really works here.

M: Moderate body and carbonation, quite acidic and puckeringly sour.

D: Quite good for the style.

Thanks Kevin!

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

750ml paper wrapped bottle with a best by date of 09/2012 (brewed in 07). corked and capped. the bottle itself is plain and labelless. drank from the goose island reserve series wine glass.

A- this one pours out a reddish pink colored body with a small white head that quickly fizzes away. no lacing left behind. just what i was expecting.

S- old musty funk comes through pretty sharply. it smells strongly of fresh cherries also. a little bit of vinegar to tell me that its sour.

T- the vinegar like sourness comes through stronger than i was expecting and takes me by surprise. as does the old musty cellar. funkier than most kreiks ive had. the cherry taste is still strong and quite fresh tasting.

M- light bodied and almost still. nicely sour without being overbearing. a dry finish.

D- not my favorite kreik but certainly drinkable. i probably wont drop $16 on another one anytime soon.

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

A-Pours a deep reddish plum color adorned with an ample 1 finger red tinted head which fades to lacing. Lots of carbonation present.

S- Smell is extremely sour, predominantly raspberries along with other mixed citrusey fruits.

T- Taste was fruity at first followed by what can only be explained as a tsunami of sourness that harasses the palate. Inexplicably tart and wonderful at the same time however perhaps a tad unbalanced.

M- Thick and very bubbly, champagnesque in its carbonation.

D- This is not a very drinkable beer in my book. I have had sour beers that I enjoyed much more than this. While I didn't hate it, it just didn't come together for me. I think it takes something special to make a drinkable sour beer and this one just fell short.

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy, red-amber body with a small, white head.

Smell: Sour cherry nose, pits and stems are most certainly included, along with musty notes of potting soil and the antique leather of grandpa's boots.

Taste: Slight woody maltiness with only a modest amount of sweetness before you're welcomed by a tart sour cherry fruitiness. While it does exhibit a bright, puckering acidity, it's not nearly as jarring as some lambics. Touches of earthiness and leather. Finishes expectantly tart and dry.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium-high, fine carbonation.

Drinkability: A fine, subtle kriek beer that's a suitable choice to slake your deep lambic thirst.

3.85/5  rDev -9%

Thanks to jmgrub for sharing this one at drewone’s tasting.

Pours a slightly cloudy bright red with a reddish-white head that settles to an oily film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of sour, tart, and funky cherry aromas and a slight metallic note for some reason. Taste is pretty much the same without metallic flavors, but there is a slight medicinal flavor I am picking up. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good sour beer with a better taste than smell in my opinion.

3.86/5  rDev -8.7%

bottle shared at tasting courtesy of Miketd. Thanks for this one!
Pours an attractive bright cranberry color with a small pinkish white head. Smell is very lightly funky, but more emphasis on a woodsy tart cherry aroma. Taste is quite nice with the obvious sour cherry flavors, tart pink grapefruit and almost a pink bubblegum like quality about it as well, at times. Nicely tart, but not overly dry either, and pretty well balanced. Bitter, tart, grapefruity and cherry flavors made this very nice and drinkable.

Kriek De Ranke from Brouwerij De Ranke