Gritty McDuff's Black Fly Stout - Gritty McDuff's Brewing Company

Gritty McDuff's Black Fly StoutGritty McDuff's Black Fly Stout

Gritty McDuff's Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Irish Dry Stout |  4.10% ABV

There's beer and then there's stout, and Gritty McDuff 's Black Fly Stout is the real deal. Black Fly is a dry, all-malt stout packed with roasted flavor. We use six different grains in the brewing of this dark masterpiece and balance the full palate with Oregon Willamette and Yakima Clusters hops. Like the legendary Irish stouts that inspired it, Black Fly Stout is rich, robust and a touch mysterious. The finest stout west of Galway Bay!

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gritty McDuff's Black Fly Stout Alström Bros
1.5/5  rDev -61%

tommyguz, May 08, 2013
2.28/5  rDev -40.8%

This black beer throws out a hefty and rocky light brown head. It has some nice staying power. Lacing ability is negligible. Roasted barley dominates on the nose. The mouthfeel is too gaseous. It doesn't render the beer undrinkable, but it is nowhere near being the creamy mouthfeel it should be. Too much CO2. I dock the drinkability due to the mouthfeel and the subpar taste. This is just not a good tasting stout to me. There are some very slight roasted and chocolate tones if you look hard enough. I am very close to detecting an off flavor in this beer, but it is not substantial enough to nail down. It will not be hard to finish this beer, but I would not recommend this. There are tons of better stouts out there.

I will thank pbrian for the sample nonethless. I will always be willing to try anything that I've never tried before and pbrian helped my cause by sending me this beer.

Bighuge, Oct 14, 2002
2.4/5  rDev -37.7%

Best Enjoyed Before: May 2008

Poured very brown black into my SA special glass. 2 fingers of beige head. The froth was pretty fizzy, both visually and audibly. Aromas of faint chocolate and vanilla
Taste of charred coffee
Fizzy mouthfeel
All round, really lacking in flavor

RustyDiamond, Apr 14, 2008
2.4/5  rDev -37.7%

This one came from one of my recent trades with Wasatch. Thanks John.

This is a pretty good looking beer. I wouldn't quite call the body black; it is a dark brown with ruby hues around the edges. Black fly has a huge, light brown head that is creamy and has some great retention. Some pretty good lacing here also.

The smell has some dark malts and a touch of coffee in it.

The slight hint of coffee in the nose is huge in the flavor. The most coffee flavor I have experienced in a beer actually, and I think that it is actually too much. The coffee dominatees everything, leaving only a touch of chocolately and roasted flavors in there. A strange off-taste is also in there that is somewhat sour, but mostly just strange. I have to say I don't like this one at all.

Mouthfeel is thin and pretty highly carbonated, which is fine for a dry stout of this ABV.

Drinkability is awful. I really didn't like this one, and I was disappointed because I have liked all of the other Gritty beers I have tried.

Hojaminbag, Mar 04, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -35.1%

VALIS666, Feb 12, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -35.1%

erlenmeyer, Jan 11, 2012
2.53/5  rDev -34.3%

This is one of those brews that believe me, I've tried very very hard to like. Had it several times in a bottle, and a couple of times on tap at both breweries - so no doubt about the quality of the samples.

Pours nice deep garnet/black if held up to the light. Tiny little fizzy head that leaves a sticky residue down the sides of the glass.

Smell is nice - coffee, some chocolate and roasty aromas.

Taste is all in the mouth. I love all styles, but this has thin, burnt coffee grounds-dregs of the coffee pot taste, like I washed out a cup of french roast.

Thin thin thin watery mouthfeel and finish. Watery is the key.

I'm done with this one. Not good -- love your label though!

OtherShoe2, Jul 10, 2008
2.73/5  rDev -29.1%

This is a deep, solid black color with a thick brown head. It's a very nice-looking stout. The taste is interesting...licorice, barley, roasted malt, and some spicy hops. There's also a bit of sour-candy smell that's just a little off-putting. The taste is dry...way dry. Astringent and a little tart. The licorice character is a lot more pronounced in the taste. Dry and slightly light finish. Medium to light body. All in all, this is a pretty forgettable stout.

Suds, Jan 30, 2011

jsanford, Mar 01, 2013

Massbmx, Mar 31, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -28.6%

Wow. Can't believe the high scores.

Got a flight at the Gritty McDuff's in Portland ME:
Halloween Ale
Cask Best Bitter
Maine's Best IPA
Pub Style

All were exactly the same amber color, with the same head. The aroma was exactly the same, except for the Pub Style. I also had a pint of their Black Fly Stout, which fortunately did have a different color.

I iterated between their Halloween Ale, their IPA, and their Cask Bitter. All were exactly the same, except that the Cask Bitter was slightly warmer.

When I suggested to the waitress that the beers might have been mis-poured, she said that they were correct, that she was also a bartender, and that she could tell from the color of the pours.

Assuming what I drank was correct ...

I found the beer was watery, and it was as though they used poor quality water. All their beers had an off after-taste ... as though their was a Gritty McDuffs flavor they added to all their beers (including their stout)

Mouth feel was watery. And a little evervescent ... a slight bite from the c02. Interesting, even the cask best bitter had a slight CO2 bite to it.

Very sorry I went to this pub. Food was ok. But the beers were mediocre to poor.

KarlosT, Oct 18, 2014
2.78/5  rDev -27.8%

Meh, not my favorite stout ever. It was very pretty- sooo dark and great head and lacing. But that was about the only thing I really enjoyed here. The smell had coffee and woodyness going on, but nothing very complex. Taste was more coffee, some biscuit- and something I really didn't dig. Almost a rootbeer gone bad flavor. Mouthfeel was way too watery and thin. Just not my favorite- I'd like to try it on draft, though...

scooter231, Jan 25, 2006
2.83/5  rDev -26.5%

Poured an excessively mammouth tan head that I basically had to pour out of the glass as it wouldn't settle. Aroma of sweet malt and a somewhat acidic coffee scent.

Tastes is somewhat lacking. Malt & mild coffee up front with a somewhat bittering hop finish. A thin & watery mouthfull with decent carbonation.

Kinda meh, about this one. Nothing really stood out to me although I could see this being quite sessionable for some people.

Kegatron, Mar 28, 2007

Stephenkdunphe, Sep 18, 2014

McLaughlin5350, Nov 27, 2011

Nichols33, Nov 17, 2014
3.03/5  rDev -21.3%

Note: This is brew from last year that has been in my fridge for quite a while. Might be past its prime.

Pours a light black, little to no head. Not much carbonation.

Smells a roasted malt

Roasted malt, dry buscuit. Drying finish. No real bite. might be something unnatural left.

Sits. Just sits, no real action out side of roasted dry malt.

Nothing special. Wont actively seek this brew again.

JasonA, Oct 11, 2008
3.03/5  rDev -21.3%

Red-tinged darkness, nearly black. Thin off-white head. Serious roast in the nose, like coffee grounds. Also a sharp, slightly sour tang. This reminds me of McNeill's brews -- probably because I just had one before this -- but it has that same slightly sour taste off the bat that is intense when cold, slightly annoying bu more subdued when warm. This also has a huge dark ash flavor, like licking a campfire. Rather thin on the mouthfeel, and not particularly exciting enough to invite another pint. A bit one-dimensional.

bultrey, Apr 04, 2006
3.03/5  rDev -21.3%

Pours black. Massive tan head, with good retention, and lacing. Smell is not strong. Roasted malts, and hops mostly. Body is thin,and carbonated. Taste is hopped up front, with a dry roasted malt finish. This is not my favorite style of beer, but you may like this one if It's yours.

riversider76, Dec 08, 2006
3.03/5  rDev -21.3%

12 ounce bottle, shaker pint glass.

A - I believe this beer may be overcarbonated. When I got it to settle down it looked like a nice, near black stout with a big coca cola foam colored head.

S - Light mix of sweet and toasted malts.

T - Can pick up some roasty malt taste but it's very subdued. The aftertaste had a faint but nice espresso flavor.

M - Feels fairly full but has TONS of carbonation that makes it feel overdone.

D - Average at best. Not nearly enough flavor and all that fizzy feel makes it filling, yet not satisfying.

EStreet20, Dec 05, 2007