Gritty McDuff's Christmas Ale - Gritty McDuff's Brewing Company

Gritty McDuff's Christmas AleGritty McDuff's Christmas Ale

Gritty McDuff's Brewing Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB) |  6.20% ABV

If it looks like Ed just got merrier, you're right. Every November heralds the return of our holiday seasonal, Christmas Ale – available on draft and in six-packs. Our Christmas Ale is a robust E.S.B. (Extra Special Bitter) full of holiday cheer. Christmas Ale has a lovely, dark red/amber color and a rich, full-bodied, malty taste with a slightly roasted undertone. We brew our Christmas Ale to an original gravity of 1064 (about 6.2% alcohol by volume) using only the finest English Pale and Crystal Malts, with a touch of Roasted Barley as well. A blend of Clusters, Styrian Goldings, Saaz and Yakima Goldings leaf hops round out this hearty brew. Gritty's Christmas Ale has no additives, fruits or spices. It's just a good honest ale, perfect for the season. And to top it all off, it's already gift-wrapped! Happy Holidays!

28.5 IBU

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 01-11-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gritty McDuff's Christmas Ale Alström Bros

zapahoppa, Dec 25, 2011
2.38/5  rDev -37.5%

Poured this into my Schlafly nonic glass, and really more due to my aggressive pouring than the beer being vivacious and ballsy, the head was big, bubbly, and three fingers. It settled down of course. Chestnut brown color.

Nose was metallic of coins and aluminum. I'm not sure what to make of this beer at this point as there is no evidence of spice or pine nuts, etc as one would expect from a Christmas ale. Very poor in the aroma dept and I've graded it accordingly.

Taste was thin at best. Only the vaguest hint of piney hopes and little maltiness.

The mouthfeel was as transparent and lifeless as the taste. What a disaster. Either something happened in shipping or Gritty made a bad batch but shipped it anyway. Watery and listless.

Drinkability - obviously this was a loser but for the head. A total yawn fest. If I'm offered one gratis I'll review this one again, but c'mon Gritty, you can do much better than this.

jim102864, Dec 20, 2007
2.45/5  rDev -35.7%

Thought for sure this beer would have been much better. The whole idea of the Christmas beers is to have all these spicy rich flavors mixed with some fruits and alcohol all together for one big bang of flavors! I ha this one as my opened on 1-4-11 and to be honest I wasn't sure that I believed I got the right beer. I asked the bar tender about it and they assured me it was the right one. The color was a nice reddish tone, that works for me. The smell was a little spicy but nothing at all strong. And the flavor was just not there. Rather upsetting.

Knapp85, Mar 25, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -34.4%

erlenmeyer, Jan 11, 2012
2.63/5  rDev -31%

A: Decent if a little boring. Coppery red color, weak head.

S: Buttery ringwood, some hops and alcohol.

T: I'm not into this at all. The sweet and fruity malt profile seems off, the hop notes from the aroma are gone, the nice butteriness from the aroma is gone. It's not horrible, but it's far from enjoyable. The flavors just don't seem to work right.

M: Good substance but a little too bubbly.

D: I could drink a few but I wouldn't really want to.

BeefyMee, Feb 22, 2011
2.88/5  rDev -24.4%

Deep red color with very little head. No lace. Hazy look.

Sweet, malty smell. Has a bit of berry/cherry. Sweet fruitiness.

Sweet and spicy malt taste, but with a puckery, berry kick. Too sweet for me. No bitter balance. Definite cherry flavor.

Thick and syrupy. Feels like a liqueur or non-beer. Too sweet to have too many of these.

williamherbert, Dec 23, 2006
2.93/5  rDev -23.1%

Pours a deep amber-red with nary a head to be found. Carbonation is very subdued. Malty aroma with little hops detected. Taste is on the malty side, hops are way in the background. A somewhat cloying sweetness, diacetyl seems a little out of control resulting in a butterscotch aftertaste. I don't really care much for this beer and would not purchase it again.

LarryV, Nov 23, 2009

acurtis, Nov 28, 2013

cfalovo97, Nov 06, 2012

rusty3335, Jan 15, 2013

An extra from donkeyrunner
Poured like a root beer color with a small white head. Nose was very faint. Taste has maybe some cinnamon or nutmeg with some graininess and a faint metallic twang to it. A little thinner bodied than I expected. Not my first choice for a warmer but worth a shot

barleywinefiend, Jan 01, 2009

djrn2, Nov 28, 2013
3.03/5  rDev -20.5%

On cask at the GLB this past weekend...I wonder if the serving style left out out all the holiday spirit? Medium dark amber when served, it came topped with a white frothy head. Aroma was mostly all caramel, with some diacetyl getting through. Tastewise: no spice. Bready malt. Low hops in finish. Lacks pizazz. Is this all I'm going to get from Santa? I must have been real bad this year.

PatandDavid, Nov 29, 2004
3.05/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Dark brown with a thin white head, no lacing on the glass.

Smell: Citrus, spices, malts, and alcohol.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Taste of toasted malts, spices, and mild citrus. Some faint pine notes and bitters hops as well.

Overall: Ok beer, not my first choice for a holiday brew, but it is bold and will keep you warm on a cold winter night.

Cavanaghty, Dec 25, 2013
3.05/5  rDev -19.9%

Longneck into Duvel tulip:

A - Dark red with cream colored head. About an inch and a half of head to start, dies down to a covering after a few minutes. Some stick on the sides.
S - All malt. Candy-like sweetness, dried fruit, raisins, caramel.
T - All malt again. Caramel and candy sweetness to start, sturdy malt throughout, and finishing with a touch of toast. Slight bitterness in the finish and a bit warming.
M - Medium to medium-full with ample carbonation. There is a slight astringent feel that lingers in the aftertaste.
D - This is not one of my favorite styles, so I would probably not have more than one. The alcohol warming is obvious and the lingering bitter/astringent finish of this beer doesn't really do it for me.

Note - This beer seems more belgian dubbel in style to me than ESB. Mabye they change the recipe from year to year - I will have to do some investigating. Not a bad beer if you are into this style, but it doesn't really do it for me tonight. I would probably pass if I came across it again.

kkosmoski, Mar 05, 2007
3.1/5  rDev -18.6%

Gotta love a label with Santa on it. If the fat man gives his approval, I'll try it.

A: Pours a dark amber almost reddish brown with a tiny head that dissipates pretty quickly. Also a bit of fruit too, towards the end.

S: Smells of tons of malts with a little spiciness thrown in thereas well.

T: Taste starts off with a malt beginning the a lot of spices, caramel, and ending with a little bitterness.

M & D: The mouthfeel is pretty good although its not as bitter as I thought it was going to be, being an ESB. I was hoping for more of a heavier beer with a load more taste. Not a bad one though, probably would have a few of these.

bjohnson, Nov 27, 2005
3.1/5  rDev -18.6%

A - pours a deep mahogany with little foam, only a fine layer of bubbles

S - sweet aroma, caramel malts, maybe chocolate

T - sweet caramel and chocolate malts up front with a bit of bitterness in the finish

M/D - overall not a bad beer, its easy to drink, but I guess I was expecting more in the spice department, something more holiday like.

mikereaser, Apr 29, 2009
3.18/5  rDev -16.5%

The aroma is malty with a toasted malt, caramel, nuts, hops, and yeast. The appearance is amber brown with an average head. The flavor is like the aroma and slightly watery. The flavor is decent but not great. The palate is smooth from the carbonation but too thin. Overall I am not that crazy about it but I can drink it.

nick76, Dec 19, 2008
3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

Pours a bright, cherry-mahogany brown with a good-sized head that fades to almost nothing quite quickly. The nose is sweet nickel, caramel malts and a light, seemingly Ringwood note. On the palate, dry malts play with sour English ale notes. There is a bit of malt bitterness (roasted malts?) in the back. Hops come out toward the end, but never achieve any really juicy, tasty volume levels. Mouthfeel is a touch acidic (in a good way), but the malts are not fleshed out very well and the carbonation is just medium -- which in this case seems either too weak or too strong, but not just right. Overall, this is an inoffensive beer but also a very mediocre one.

geexploitation, Dec 26, 2007

CSeavey64, Apr 16, 2014

JAHMUR, Oct 20, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

Appearance: Pours a clear, mahogany-hued body with a small, bubbly, white head.

Smell: A pretty wimpy aroma, I dare. Just a light hint of biscuity malts and a pinch of spices.

Taste: Biscuity, light toasty caramel maltiness, though, overall, it's kinda light. Slight sweetness. Faint fruitiness. Mild spiciness, mild bitterness. Clean, dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Nothing bad, but I could definitely stand a bit more -- more of everything. Even if I get my ass thrown onto Santa's Naughty List I just had to speak my mind about it. Perhaps the oil crunch is hitting us, even Jolly Old Saint Nick, in ways we never could have imagined, but I have a sneaky suspicion he's holding back.

ChainGangGuy, Jun 18, 2008
3.28/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass. Looked like a root beer in color, slightly browner than a cola. Poured a nice 1 finger head that lasted about 1/2 the beer with lacing during the rest of the beer. Had a slight cream aroma to the smell. Nothing really stood out about the taste, either bad or good. Slight undertones of something in the flavor I couldn't place. Felt fine in the mouth, and fairly easy to drink. Not my first choice for a flavorful beer, but no complaints at all.

mountdew1, Dec 22, 2006
3.4/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured a clear, dark, cherry-apple color with a micro-fizzy flat tan head that barely covered the surface and quickly dissipated without leaving any lacing. Visible carbonation was light. Overall a very nice deep coloring saved this from just an average appearance.

S: The nose however didn't fair as good. A light cookie sweetness and caramel apples are present but was pretty mundane overall.

T: a dry munich malting upon first tasting with some dry caramel apple fruitiness. A woodsy flavor type hopping and sweet caramel and cola highlights are also present. A light toasted breadiness with fresh raisins and fruitcake flavor rounds things out here. Better then average flavor wise, dry, warm, and not overly spicy were its strong points.

M: a light fizziness with a slick texture and a warming cola and caramel lacing.

D: Good for a try at best as with most xmas beers but not one you want to continually drink. A fair and good drink overall with its warm and toned down nature lets you enjoy this without being assaulted by a barrage of spices that distracts from the flavor.

beerthulhu, Nov 28, 2008
3.43/5  rDev -10%

12 oz bottle to Palm snifter.

A great beer for drinking just about any time of the year, as I've come to think of this as more of an IPA with winter spices than a Winter Warmer or ESB.

Pours light brown with some hints of red and a thin head. The nose has a bit of maltiness and some grainy winter spices, with a nice, buttery touch and piercing alcohol in the hops.

A little round in the mouth, balanced by a wheat-like taste and some crispness in the carbonation. Finishes pretty well. Again, like an IPA with winter spices. Hard to argue with a few of these.

TLove, Dec 03, 2009