Microbrew Invitational

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Downtown Grill & Brewery
Tennessee, United States | website

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Creamy and substantial, this brew is bursting with the flavor of dark roasted grains. Oats add a soft velvety texture that blends well with the distinct malty flavor. An excellent beer to finish any meal!

Added by BEERchitect on 10-16-2006

Reviews: 6 | Ratings: 21
Reviews by Rchap1:
3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

Had probably 7 of these the other night...Appearance-wise, nice and dark with hardly any light coming through. Not much for head, and it dissipated fairly quickly. Left the slightest bit of lacing on the walls as it was going down. Smelled pretty similar to a pint of Murphy's, and I have to say that all in all I thought that this was much more in the style of a dry stout than an oatmeal; the oatmeal characteristics just never came through for me. Tasted pretty good, a little less sweet, but pretty well balanced with bitterness. There was a little bit of hop flavor coming through on the finish, but it was limited. Nice and full in the mouth, and not overly carbonated (in a good way). Like I said, I put down 7 of 'em in about 3 hours....so I'd call that fairly drinkable!

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

3.63/5  rDev -0.3%

The last of my beers to try at this place. This one came out and was a thick dark brown, essentially black with a nice off white tan head on it. Smell was full of lactose sugar and a nice roasted coffee tone to it. The flavor was very full with a creamy, medium to full bodied stout giving way to flavors of sugar, caramel and a touch of chocolate. Overall this was a fairl good stout. Nothing that is going to blow you way, but still a fine beer.

4.05/5  rDev +11.3%

Review from notes a couple weeks ago at the brewpub.
A: Black with a good dark tan film and collar and some lacing.
S: Roasted coffee milk chocolate, slight charcoal, and fig. Good.
T: Dry roast of charcoal, dark roast coffee that lingers, cherry and cranberry astringency, dark chocolate. Good.
M: Thicker and creamy. Good.
O: Good beer. I was surprised.

3.83/5  rDev +5.2%

Quite similar to their porter, but with more aggression with the roasted grains to bring out much more roasted character along with hints of chocolate, coffee, and walnuts. Quite smooth with the addition of oats; kinda takes away the harshness of the grains. A bit heavier than medium bodied, but not thick or heavy. Pretty sensable in the finish with a lingering grain bitterness, roastedness, and a lingering slickness. Pretty sensable beer.

2.75/5  rDev -24.5%

4.7/5  rDev +29.1%

3.39/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

It's very dark brown or black with a small lacy and tan head. I mostly smell coffee notes. The feel is rather thick, but it goes down smoothly, like a good stout should. There's a taste of bitter chocolate and roasted coffee. Overall, my first oatmeal stout and I prefer over the other fine beers offered at this establishment. I regret pairing it with the meal I did, but the flavor is smooth and delicious. If you're both a fan of stouts and in the area, I'd recommend it.

3.81/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.48/5  rDev -4.4%

I stopped at the Downtown Grill & Brewery while in Knoxville on business. My first beer was the Stout. It poured into the pint glass with a thin, tan 1/4" head which stuck around a while.

The appearance was very dark and opaque.

It was quite bitter due to the hops... but it was OK... if you like hoppy. The coffee and the malt were more subdued.

The smell was of roasted, woody notes.

It was a little thin for my taste but still a good stout.

Overall, I would have this again or I might even take a growler home with me.

State Street Stout from Downtown Grill & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.