2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

New Grist Sorghum Beer - Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

New Grist Sorghum BeerNew Grist Sorghum Beer

poor

Lakefront Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.75% ABV

(Beer added by: mentor on 10-13-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 296 | Reviews: 191 | Show All Ratings:
jucifer1818

3.35/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

I picked this one up with the DFhead strawberry gluten free beer, in the middle of passover after work. I really wanted a beer, and this felt like the BEST (ok the only) time that I would want to try a gluten free brew

not kosher for passover by any stretch, but since its made with rice (which I eat on passover) and is made with no barley, hey...what the hell!

A: extremely soft colors, and very, very pale. Light straw. very clear. Heavy carbonation catches the side of the glass, but clears after a few minutes. Heavy soapy foam forms from the pour, but that dissipates quickly (after a few minutes). Not too shabby. 4/5

S: This beer has a real sweet orange marmalade smell going for it. Very fruity and sweet, but fairly soft. It could use a bit more push for its smell, considering its viewed carbonation.
3.25\5

T: well I have to say, not bad....but not that much good either. It tastes a lot like a harvest or american what ale, but with a MUCH dryer finish. None of the malty richness that you would expect. Their is also a strange tang to this beer that can be a bit off-putting (its something like old dry clementines). 3.25\5

m: very dry mouth-feel with a heavy carbonation "bite". A necessary negative to help draw away from the "tang" flavor in the brew. Still, it is unpleasant. 2.75/5

O: This beer is not as bad as I expected, and for the challenges that go into its creation, it could had easily flopped flat on its face...but didn't. Its still a very odd beer. Its flavor tang, from the sorghum, is very off-putting, and its heavier carbonation is a pet peeve of mine. However, it enjoyed its citric\marmalade flavoring, and felt that its aroma was pretty decent. it DOES feel like beer. i feel that that is the most positive thing that you can say about it.

It is NOT for people who can drink regular beer. Not at all. If gluten hurts you, this is for you. If your observing passover but don't feel like shilling out for the ill-reputed KOP beer, this is for you. its also for you if you want to try something new or got dared to drink the weird "gluten free" brew.

I give this one a 3.25/5 overall. Its a pretty average beer, but its nice aroma gives it a few more points, and the fact that I am drinking it this week is a serious positive

04-18-2014 01:28:07 | More by jucifer1818
TheHammer

2.79/5  rDev +3%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Alright, my second foray into the world of Gluten free beer.

Appearance: The body on this one is a sickly light lager yellow, that produced a finger of head that evaporated quickly and did not lace as a result. The carbonation looks very thin but abundant.

Smell: It smells like a mixture of straw like lager and pear cider, which is odd, given this Gluten Free beer doesn't appear to have been made with pear juice, but it works. Warming doesn't help it either way

Taste: Pretty much like it smells, the pear cider taste starts out the beer and it has almost a slightly ginger twang to it. Gradually the straw like malt makes it's presence known at the end of the beer.

Mouthfeel: It's really sweet...and cloys quite a bit as a result and there's not really a bitter note to be had on it. The carbonation is there...but it doesn't really seem to do much and the end of the beer is painfully short.

Drinkability: Light and easy to drink but only because there's not a bitter note to be had. It's painfully sweet, even more then flat cider.

Final Thoughts: I'm finding with many Gluten free beers, they seem to have large cider aspects to them, particularly pear taste, which I can only assume is a trait of Sorghum. This regrettably always leaves me asking the question about Gluten Free beer, why wouldn't I just drink cider if I was Gluten intolerant? Anyways, it's alright but it's still not quite to the level of regular beer.

03-13-2014 05:03:25 | More by TheHammer
thehyperduck

3.19/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

355 mL bottle from the LCBO picked up as a single; bottled Jan. 14 2014. Served well-chilled. My last gluten-free beer review was nearly two years ago, and... well, I'd rather not talk about it. Will this one go any better?

Pours a clear, pale straw yellow colour, topped with one finger of soapy, relatively short-lived white head. Soon, a foamy collar and wispy film at the surface are all that remains. It kind of looks like that glass of dry cider I had the other day. I am not getting much on the nose from this one - it's a little fruity, with some apple juice vibes, but not much else to speak of beyond some sort of neutral malt sweetness; probably the rice. Not offensive, which is already above average by GF beer standards.

I was a little worried about this one, but in all honesty there is nothing wrong with it as an alcoholic beverage. The taste is on the fruity side, with apple cider, boiled vegetables and some pear notes at first. Toward the finish I am getting notes of sake and white wine (Sauvignon Blanc maybe?); the booze is just barely detectable, but not in an irritating way. Light-bodied and watery, with firm carbonation that falls a step or two below 'macro lager' on the fizziness scale. This is a surprisingly light, drinkable pseudo-beer that I have no serious complaints about, but it's worth keeping in mind that I came in with very low expectations.

Final Grade: 3.19, a C+. I don't profess to have a lot of experience with gluten-free anything, but Lakefront Brewery's New Grist is the first GF beer I've ever tried that comes anywhere close to approximating a normal beer. This makes for a passable adjunct lager - high praise indeed! There's no reason for anyone without celiac disease to bother with this one, but it's still the best example of this niche style I've tried, and definitely the only one I'd voluntarily consume again.

02-22-2014 05:23:31 | More by thehyperduck
youknowmyname

look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Odor: sweet aroma of apples, almost like an apple wine

Pour: Light golden clear with a faint head that disipates instantly, Filtered. No lace.

Taste: Very Light bodied beer with a sweetness on the end. Very light carbonation, almost none. Body reminds me of bud light with apple.

This beer is made with sorghum and rice instead of your normal ingredients such as barley and wheat. If you're like me, you asked, what the hell is sorghum? Sorghum is actually the 3rd largest produced grain in the US behind wheat and barley. Yes, I had to look that up. Anyway, I had originally heard about sorghum through Andrew Zimmern and his awesome Bizarre foods show where he was in Africa eating Sorghum like popcorn. It can be prepared that way and the popped kernels are lighter than popcorn and don't have the shell lodged in the middle to get stuck in your teeth. Not wanting to get beer stuck in my teeth, I figured I'd give this a go. And it's good for those avoiding Gluten...whoever you are. Beer with not a lot of complexity. I believe a lot of people who enjoy macro brewery beer could drink this and never know the difference until maybe the aftertaste of apple. Good beer to give to those girls who don't like beer and just want an appletini.

02-11-2014 02:10:29 | More by youknowmyname
The_Gluten_Free_Dude

Missouri

4.23/5  rDev +56.1%

As a Gluten Free beer drinker. This is the best beer I've come across so far. Smooth, balanced and not at all harsh or spicy. I find this beer to be the most similar to a standard Non-GF beer that I've encountered. Not very carbonated and doesn't retain a head too well however still a good brew. 4.23/5.

01-26-2014 08:20:27 | More by The_Gluten_Free_Dude
dhannes

Wisconsin

1.85/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2

Poured from a bottle into a Perfect Pint.

A=Extremely faint yellow...almost like 7-Up. One finger white head that lasted for more than a minute.

S=Plastic and sugar/syrup.

T=Plastic and sugar/syrup...faint hops. Moderate to no flavor, but what is there is rather bad.

M=Moderate body with moderate carbonation...enables one to drink it quickly.

O=Not nearly as enjoyable as the Damm Daura gluten-free offering...will not buy nor drink again.

01-05-2014 21:35:53 | More by dhannes
mfnmbvp

2.88/5  rDev +6.3%

12 oz. bottle, with bottled on date 07/06/2013. My first beer from Lakefront Brewery, a gluten free sorghum beer, labeled as a 'pilsner style beer' on the label. Expectations are fairly low based on this beer's current poor ratings.

Poured into The Godfather pint glass.

A - Pours a sickly pale yellow colored body with lots of bubbles going crazy in the glass. One finger of thin big bubbly white fizz for a head. Tiny powdery sediment floating in the glass. Color is almost more reminiscent of a white wine than it is beer.

S - Smell is pretty light and non-existent, but I'm definitely pulling out lots of fruit, almost strawberry like. Strawberries, lemon juice, and green apple cider.

T - Taste pretty much disappears almost instantly following the swallow. There is subtle slight graininess here, a ricey sort of quality although I couldn't exactly say what it is, some tart green apple cider, and some acidic vinegar. Mildly vinous.

M - Feel is extremely crisp and clean. Hardly any lingering aftertaste of any kind aside from some mild vinous apple cider and some faint alcohol warmth.

Overall, it wasn't harsh or offensive, but there was hardly anything to enjoy about this offering. I give it props for being gluten free and all, but there is poor duration and depth of flavor with this thing. I'm not so sure I would call this a pilsner, but then again I wouldn't call it a fruit / vegetable beer either. An interesting beer, worth trying at least once I suppose.

Lakefront Brewery New Grist ---3/5.

01-05-2014 00:33:24 | More by mfnmbvp
BeerKangaroo

Alaska

1.5/5  rDev -44.6%

Labeled a "Pilsener style" beer on the side of the bottle

White stamp on the neck of the bottle reads "08/13/2013," I believe that to be born on date, I'm wasting no time whether this is a pilsener or a "fruit/vegetable beer" to review this

Into a flared pilsener:

A: extremely clear golden yellow colored body with a slim half finger white foamy head that immediately dies within about twenty seconds, carbonation is seen rising at a moderate pace

S: lemon juice coming through in a bland yet somewhat earthy funky sort of way, could be construed as offensive, but really not bad to me

T: the lemon juice is back with some apple cidery and a somewhat ginger sort of puckering aspect to it, and then the aftertaste hits ya, boy oh boy, where did that come from, its basically a harsh sort of lemon/apple juice that basically nails your tongue to the bottom of your mouth, no finish

M: light, very sessionable (might not be bad to pound all day in the summer), ok here we go, here's where this beer takes a major hit that is somewhat noticed in the taste, that carbonation just pounds my tongue to the bottom of my mouth like its just sayin' "OK BOY, YOU'RE MINE!" Ouch, this is harsh stuff

O: ok, I did have this a bit late, but at the same time - that carbonation - holy burp batman, is this a "fruit/vegetable beer" or pilsener, wow what a vast difference in whatever style this thing truly is, would I have this again, no way and I honestly feel bad for beer drinkers with wheat allergies. The last one I had was Widmer's Omission, get that, don't get this. I think my friend is laughing at me behind my back tonight and tomorrow I'll get my revenge on him, (Matt are you reading this you turd!)

12-08-2013 05:04:30 | More by BeerKangaroo
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

2.66/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

355ml bottle poured into tulip 28/10/13

A golden yellow with bubbles of all sizes including some giants, lots of tiny suspended particles once you have a good look, just a cola like fizzy thumbs width of foam, zero lace

S apple juice and rice cakes, earthy almost funky fall orchard, smells strange but not overly offensive

T apple cider ginger ale mix, almost has a wild aspect to it, I can drink it but not happily

M cola like foam and a little slimy, has a little body but its slippery and slick after you swallow

O I know its gluten free but it's hard to like a beer that's not quite right, doesn't drink that well and I'd rather have a cider

could be a lot worse, I finished it but I'd give away a second bottle it I had one

10-29-2013 03:45:25 | More by wordemupg
slitherySOB

2.31/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Another gluten free beer. This beer pours a pale yellow colour that reminds me of Canada Dry ginger ale. Very little head to speak of, and it quickly dissipates, leaving no lacing. Smells of grain, rice and green apples. Tastes like a weaker Budweiser mixed with a cider. Mouthfeel is thin and lightly carbonated. Overall, a disappointing beer.

05-31-2013 16:51:30 | More by slitherySOB
Dave_in_GR

2.54/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance is very similar to ginger ale. Pale yellowish color, big carbonation bubbles, quickly fading head and no visible lacing.

Smell is very soft, most of what I can detect is apple.

Taste is extremely light, again mostly apple although not nearly as distinct as a cider.

Mouthfeel is very thin bodied with light carbonation but definitely lives up to the "session beer" tag on the label. Not unpleasant but not very complex either.

Overall this is hard for me to rank since there isn't the typical malt and hops character to it. It is pleasant enough to drink but without any real character - maybe more like a Miller Lite than a craft beer. Were I a vegan, I'd probably prefer a good cider instead.

05-11-2013 23:24:35 | More by Dave_in_GR
spinrsx

2.36/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

12oz Bottle from the Ottawa LCBO for 2$

Appearance - Clear yellow colour with an average size fizzy white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there isn't much lacing. The head lasted for around 2 minutes.

Smell - Corn, apples, grains

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste corn, apples, and grains. There is also a slight amount of floral notes. It ends with a apple aftertaste.

Overall – So hard to rate these gluten free beers.. to be honest they are all bad, but if they were the only option I'm sure they would be fine. This one has alight taste to it that might be good for a summer beer.

04-29-2013 14:46:53 | More by spinrsx
cyclonece09

Maryland

3.88/5  rDev +43.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a 14 oz "pint" glass. Pours a translucent straw with a small white head that does leave a little bit of lacing. Smells different than most beers, but the absence of barley will do that. It smells extremely sweet, definitely the sorghum. Tastes of sweetness, but not like adjuncts that use corn. It tastes very natural and refreshing, nice notes but not over the top. Beer is carbonated fine and is very light bodied and refreshing. Overall, a very good beer, very underrated in my opinion and a nice gem from the Midwest getting outside of traditional brewing.

03-30-2013 21:42:17 | More by cyclonece09
Abcabc

Alabama

3.98/5  rDev +46.9%

It`s not a barley beer so some adjustment of what to expect is required. It is brewed as a session beer so it is not bitter nor sweet. [The hop heads need to get off the push of heavy bittering that no sane person can stand] My bottles have generally aged for a month or two so some improvement is likely. It is a smooth drink with improved month-feel over Redbridge (or a Bud). Some hop aroma exists although I would prefer more.

The color is a pleasant golden with bubbling continuing through the whole drink. Head retention in minimal although this is general issue with gluten free due to the reduced proteins and complex carbohydrates.

I seek this beer out by driving 90miles each way. Extra plus is that it is cheaper than the other gluten-free beers (except for Redbridge).

03-17-2013 21:14:12 | More by Abcabc
WissBrauSean

3.39/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

So this is my next installment to Gluten Free Week and a pretty good one at that! Beer Advocate has this mislabeled as a fruit/vegetable beer. They are considering it a beer with fruit adjuncts and it really is not. It is brewed with sorghum and rice as the malt and no other fruits, I think. You have to score this as a gluten free beer, not a beer.

This beer pours a very light straw color, very clear and super crisp. The head was nice at the beginning of larger white bubbles which faded to a thing ring only around one side of the tulip glass. Very little lacing.

The aroma is kind of very faint and like honey and apples. Mostly honey and then the tiniest of that skunk aroma that you get with Heineken or the like. It's nice.

The flavour profile is pretty similar to that of the aroma. It is pretty much like thin apple juice, honey and some skunkiness. The skunk seems to come out more as it warms up. The finish is very lightly hoppy if at all with some peppery notes. Finishes sweet with only a bit of dry hop at the very very end. I'm not getting the soapy flavor that many describe. I bet this is much better on tap.

Mouthfeel is definitely thin and could use some work, but really, it's not that bad. It's sweet, but not overly so because it is so thin. There is a bit of that slimey feeling, but not as much as some others that I have had. The carbonation is definitely lively, but not in a champagne way and the yeast style doesn't remind me of champagne either.

Overall, I would have to give this a 3.5 or better. If I give redbridge a 3, this one gets higher. It's just more pleasant. Well done Lakefront!

Get out there and try all kinds of stuff, not just beer, but cider, Gluten Free stuff, wine, bourbon and something that I heard of called an "Incredible Hulk". Live a little, put down that pizzwater and get off that couch and live life because it is way too short!

03-08-2013 01:38:39 | More by WissBrauSean
GossageBrewery

Missouri

2.09/5  rDev -22.9%

Poured this ale from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Poured a very clear yellow color, produced a small white head, poor retention and poor lacing left on the glass. The aroma consisted of some malted grain and apple juice. Light in body, very thin and watery there is some flavor of rice and apple cider. Not very impressed with the "gluten free" beers-

02-13-2013 16:37:14 | More by GossageBrewery
ColdWaffles

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a standard pint. Figured I'd try this just to see.

Appearance: Looks like apple cider.

Smell: Smells like apple cider.

Taste: Well, it tastes like some low end adjuncts I've had minus the skunk. To that end, it would be great for a college keg beer. It's got a weird chemical aftertaste though, and it's pretty sweet. Super crisp though. Doesn't really taste much like beer.

Mouthfeel: Italian mineral water.

On taste, this isn't bad and I could see myself drinking it during the summer in place of actual beer if it was super cheap and I wanted to get blasted without any effort. Doubt it's cheap though, I got a single and never caught the mass price. Interesting drink, but I'll probably never have it again. Glad its there for those who would drink it.

01-07-2013 00:35:33 | More by ColdWaffles
Murrhey

Montana

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Reviewed live. Expectations are low.

A- Almost no head, quick erosion. Very little linger. Slight soapy lacing. Pale golden color with crystal clarity.

S- Spicy, soapy, grassy. The things you don't want in a beer.

T- Light and somewhat spicy.

M- Watery with some syrupy feel at the end.

O- Not unbearable, but certainly not good.

12-31-2012 03:23:02 | More by Murrhey
Atvar

3.8/5  rDev +40.2%

Appearance: Poured into glass with little head. Straw yellow color, looks like bud light.

Smell: I've been outside in the cold and can't smell a thing right now. Whatever aroma it has mustn't be very strong.

Taste: If you told me I was drinking carbonated apple juice I would've believed you. It has a unique flavor like apple but slightly different. It is thin, sweet with no hint of hops. The alcohol is well hidden and sneaks up on you by the end of the glass. Can't detect any major faults.

Overall: Not my first choice, but this beer grew on me. It's not a flavorful stout or IPA, but it's not supposed to be. Easily drinkable. First gluten free beer I've ever tried but not bad.

11-26-2012 23:04:33 | More by Atvar
tjsdomer2

2.45/5  rDev -9.6%

Appearance: This ain't half-bad. There is absolutely zero foam and almost zero lacing. New Grist is also very, very pale, almost clear. But there is something about the carbonation that I like.

Smell: There's something dry that I can't quite pinpoint. Apple? Biscuit? Cookie? Whatever it is, it's pretty decent. Definitely a good whiff of booze as well.

Taste/Mouthfeel: This tastes like Sprite mixed with Bud Light. That's actually the best way I can describe it. Ditto on the mouthfeel.

Overall Drinkability: I was interested to try a sorghum beer. I know that's popular in places like Africa and parts of Asia I think. I'm sure there are good examples, but this one doesn't work.

10-30-2012 01:40:09 | More by tjsdomer2
Kremlock

2.53/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

For starters, we should not be rating gluten free beers on here because they are not "beers" Reading some of the reviews on here I can clearly see that people are holding these beers at the same level as malt based beers. But because Beer Advocate allows it...heck here we go with an open mind.

A: Pours a light straw colour (very light) Looks like the rice wine I make. Head is thin but there is some nice lacing around the glace.

S: Has a crisp apple smell to it. No hop smells that I can find.

T: Again, crisp apples, roasted rice, bitterness is very low.

M: Highly carbonated, a bit thin.

O: If I were to make a beer that does not have any flavours that resembles malts, or crystal/caramel malts I would try to use a yeast and hops that would give it more character. But this is not the case here. Flavour is lacking, bitterness is none existent and hop flavour/smell is not present.

10-27-2012 02:30:19 | More by Kremlock
Brouwerij

2.75/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured into standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear, light yellow with one finger of rocky white head after a firm pour, which dissipates quickly. Minimal lacing.

Smell: Mild fruity aroma, with a hint of alcohol.

Taste: A sweet mild maltiness, with a hint of rice. It is incredibly sweet and drinkable.

Mouthfeel: Light body, strong carbonation.

Overall: An acceptable gluten-free beer. However, I feel there are better options such as St. Peters Sorgham or Estrella Daura.

10-26-2012 21:57:57 | More by Brouwerij
k1001001

Tennessee

1.75/5  rDev -35.4%

I've been making the rounds on gluten free beers, due to a recent gastrointestinal development. Overall, I've found the market to be a little lacking, and New Grist is definitely part of that "lacking." It's always good to have gluten-free options, but it would be better to have good gluten-free options.

Appearance - drinking it in a bottle, can't see

Smell - Fruity, sherry-like smell to it.

Taste - The best description I can come up with is a malty fruit beer. The mouthfeel (described below) masks most of the flavor. Tip: the taste does improve after aging in the fridge for a couple of months. Maybe it wouldn't hurt for Lakefront to let the beer age longer before release.

Mouthfeel - Too carbonated. It feels like drinking dishwater, or a glass of Korbel champagne. The foam masks most of the taste. This is probably the least desirable part of the beer.

Overall - Pass. If you need a gluten-free option, try a hard cider or Redbridge.

08-09-2012 02:21:53 | More by k1001001
donmonkey1

Tennessee

1.85/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Pale yellow, little carbonation, no head, no lacing.

Smell: Mild, mild sweet malt.

Taste: Rice with sugar, mixed sweet candy ground to a powder and sprinkled in water. It reminds me of this grape-like thing to make wine called something like muskeydines.

They otta be ashamed to call this beer even if fruit is associated with it. I'm tempted to remove this review so nobody knows I was stupid enough to drink this.

07-24-2012 21:27:30 | More by donmonkey1
Dave51

4.1/5  rDev +51.3%

Best glutton-free beer I have every experienced. The taste was different at first. However, as I continued, the taste became better. When I stood from my chair, I felt a slight buzz. The high alcohol content (5.75%) was a bonus. My wife is glutton intolerant. This is a beer I could enjoy with her.

06-12-2012 03:17:03 | More by Dave51
New Grist Sorghum Beer from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.