Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

New Grist Gluten-Free Pilsner Style Beer - Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

New Grist Gluten-Free Pilsner Style BeerNew Grist Gluten-Free Pilsner Style Beer

Lakefront Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.75% ABV

Beer added by: mentor on 10-13-2005

Very bad flavor overall. Even Redbridge was considerably better than this. It reminds me of Foster's and its horrid aftertaste. Except the horrid aftertaste-like flavor is there from the second the beer hits your tongue, and then for a while thereafter it has been swallowed. Stick with Omissions gluten free beer line, or even Redbridge.

Ugggh...from the first look and whiff of this brew I knew I was in for a struggle. The things I do for you guys. Poured into a stemmed pils glass it forms a quickly fading loose head that fizzes to a ring. Highly filtered clarity with minimal carbonation. Yellow body.

Sorghum is just a hidious alternative and those that cant have glueton..please don't judge the world of beer after sampling these extract laden brews. Simply awful. Syrupy from the start...not in mouthfeel but rather the sweet "malts" are nastily sweet and sticky. Extremely vinous at times, particulary the start, the middle and the finish....oh wait...it doesn't clean up at all and lingers on the palate for quite some time. Label states this is a "refreshing session beer". How could a dirty, syrupy brew be even considered a session brew? More than one would have to be restricted somewhere in the constitution.

Notes: A terrible wine comes to mind minus the 12%abv. This reveals all of its flaws wether cold or warm. Avoid.

1.28/5  rDev -53.1%

Bottle: Poured a super yellow color beer with a small white foamy head with minimal retention and not much lacing. Aroma of light unrefined grainy notes. Taste is quite light with some more or less pleasant notes of unrefined grain. Body is light with medium carbonation. Not need to revisit his one unless I have to stop eating gluten.

1.4/5  rDev -48.7%

While I applaud Lakefront Brewery for trying something experimental, I have to say that this beer is really not good. The smell is barely there but sweet. The flavor is also very sweet, yet strikes me as a cross between flowers and poison... with sugar on top. The taste lingers... oh please stop lingering! I checked the bottle twice for a born on date, as I swore to God that this beered HAD to be spoiled or defective in some way. I bought a six pack out of curiosity and I have to say that this may be the first six pack I ever pour down the drain. Seriously... you can just skip this one all together.

1.5/5  rDev -45.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a golden yellow color with a white head. The aroma smells more like white wine than beer with some apples and alcohol. The taste much like the aroma features some sour apples and tastes more like white wine than beer. The mouthfeel is light and extremely fizzy from the high carbonation. Overall, this is a pretty poor offering. Now I understand why malt and/or wheat is so important to beer. Not recommended. This is my second beer made from sorghum, and neither have been the slightest bit enjoyable.

1.56/5  rDev -42.9%

[Appearance]: Dark golden yellow.

[Smell]: Smells like a bad vodka, horrendous.

[Foretaste]: Nothing but carbonation.

[Midflavor]: Sour wheat.

[Aftertaste]: Super citrusy, lemons galore.

[Overall Flavor]: Horrible, made me sick.

[Mouthfeel]: Watery and high carbonation.

[Drinkability]: Never again will I buy this beer.

personal recomendation: dont buy this. unless your an alchy with a gluten alergy.

1.56/5  rDev -42.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

Easily the worst of the sorghum based beers I've tried.

A: Pale gold color has nice clarity and active carbonation. Even the most vigorous pour didn't net much head. What little head did form was gone in an instant. Left no lace.

S: Very sweet. White sugar, apples, oranges, plus a mild whiff of grass in the background.

T: Tastes like a strange combination of sake and hard cider. Extremely sweet flavor has a strong apple presence, plus a little sweet rice. Hops are almost nonexistent. They add only a tiny amount of flavorless bitterness. Apple sweetness lingers through the finish.

M: Light body is syrupy and has too much fizz.

D: I almost didn't finish this beer. But I paid for it, so I choked it down rather than pouring down the drain. Is it really that hard to make a decent gluten free beer?

1.59/5  rDev -41.8%

Pours a light and clear golden color with a little head initially shrinking to a frost on top. Not much for lacing. Smells like way too buttered popcorn, and nothing else in there, just distracting, with some other odd ass smell in there. Something is seriously wrong with this beer, its just bad, and i can't drink this. down the drain it goes.

1.6/5  rDev -41.4%

Pale straw with a meringue-like head. The head dies down pretty quickly, but leaves a thin layer over the beer that sticks around for awhile. Leaves behind a pretty lace. There's something about it's aroma that I find antiseptic and unpleasant. There's some apple and lemon in the aroma as well. The apple isn't like sour green apple, but more like apple juice. It tastes lemony and sweetish, with only a little bit of apple. There some tartness and harshness to it, and that antiseptic nose seems to affect the palate as well. It really doesn't taste as bad as it smells though. Light-bodied and finely carbonated. Despite being thin and watery, it isn't very refreshing at all. I'm pretty happy I'm not on some kind of gluten-free diet. If I couldn't tolerate gluten, I'd give up beer rather than drink this.

1.66/5  rDev -39.2%

I have no idea what sorghum is, but if you put "beer" on the label, I’m willing to try it. This poured from my 12 oz bottle with a light orange hue, with little activity and a thin white fuzzy white head. This gives an odd aroma .. almost like cinnamon gum, or cough syrup ... not good. The flavor is a tad better, but similarly off-putting ... very medicinal, this reminded me very much of the cough syrup I had as a kid ... like artificially-flavored cherry cough-drops, or something along those lines. (#2663, 1/21/07)

1.67/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Poured into a perfect pint.

3.5 A: What the fuck?!!?! Is this beer? This is lighter than most of the BMC lineup. Lightly yellow tinted clear. One finger of frothy white head. The retention is actually pretty good and a good bit of lacing is left behind.

1.5 S: Smells like straight up rice. That's about it.

1.5 T: Tastes like nothing, but is sweet at the same time. At first I kinda liked it, but after a few more sips, I discovered that it's actually pretty offensive. This tastes like ginger ale without the ginger.

2.0 M: Light body. A bit overcarbonated. Too sweet (in a strange way) to be smooth.

1.5 D: Yep, this sucks. No reason to buy this other than to tick it and/or lower your average score.

1.7/5  rDev -37.7%

Ok. Ew. I didn't have any clue what this was when I bought it but it looked neat at the time.

Appearance is atrocious. Pale yellow, no head, no bubbles.

This tastes sorta like a cross between Bud Light, cough syrup and Zima.

The smell? What smell. I couldn't even smell it until I poured it, and well it smells like those fruity aquafina waters.

Mouthfeel is better than the rest of the categories, at least there is a faintly appealing fizz and it's not too heavy or light.

I would never drink this again. I would never drink more than one. If not for the fact that I paid for it, I wouldn't even finish it.

Sure, this all sounds a little harsh so let's say I wouldn't recommend this beer to friends.

1.71/5  rDev -37.4%

This unusual sorghum beer (no barley malt whatsoever) pours a clear bright medium gold color. Head generation is minimal despite a lot of upcharging bubbles. No laces to mention at all. Odd buttered popcorn aroma, some residual sweetness is noticeable as well. Mouthfeel is light, carbonation plenty adequate. This is truly a distinct brew and reviewing it is difficult. It has an extremely artificial butter character to it, even to the point of the burnt popcorn kernels at the bottom of a microwave bag, combined with a sizzling cinnamon and over-applied vanilla second stage to the profile. The finish has a slight lactic astringency that may be similar to sour fermented porridges made from sorghum in some cultures. There's a real granularity in texture here (chalky old-fashioned antacids like Gelusil) and a strange aftertaste with a salty sweetness almost like taffy. It IS unique, but personally, I don't like it all -- practically undrinkable and one of the few beers I've ever regretted buying in a six pack.

1.71/5  rDev -37.4%

Purchased as part of "build-your-own-six-pack" at local grocer. Small head on a light yellow body. Little sweet tinge in the smell, which also is evident in the early taste. Unfortunately, it also features a wicked nasty aftertaste, which ruins everything else. Not too good.

1.74/5  rDev -36.3%

I've been making the rounds on gluten free beers, due to a recent gastrointestinal development. Overall, I've found the market to be a little lacking, and New Grist is definitely part of that "lacking." It's always good to have gluten-free options, but it would be better to have good gluten-free options.

Appearance - drinking it in a bottle, can't see

Smell - Fruity, sherry-like smell to it.

Taste - The best description I can come up with is a malty fruit beer. The mouthfeel (described below) masks most of the flavor. Tip: the taste does improve after aging in the fridge for a couple of months. Maybe it wouldn't hurt for Lakefront to let the beer age longer before release.

Mouthfeel - Too carbonated. It feels like drinking dishwater, or a glass of Korbel champagne. The foam masks most of the taste. This is probably the least desirable part of the beer.

Overall - Pass. If you need a gluten-free option, try a hard cider or Redbridge.

1.76/5  rDev -35.5%

Well apparently gluten is what makes beer taste good...

A-Pretty standard straw colour. Very fizzy as poured and the head died down very quickly almost like a pop.

S-kind of an almost wine or champagne like smell with a sour after note.

T-Very flat tasting. The smell makes you think this will be much more flavourful than it is. Kind of a sweetish aftertaste.

D-I bought two and am not sure if I will ever drink the other one. I may wait till I'm doing some yard work and put it in the freezer so it gets super chilled then drink it really fast.

1.84/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2

Poured from a bottle into a Perfect Pint.

A=Extremely faint yellow...almost like 7-Up. One finger white head that lasted for more than a minute.

S=Plastic and sugar/syrup.

T=Plastic and sugar/syrup...faint hops. Moderate to no flavor, but what is there is rather bad.

M=Moderate body with moderate carbonation...enables one to drink it quickly.

O=Not nearly as enjoyable as the Damm Daura gluten-free offering...will not buy nor drink again.

1.85/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

355ml bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Poured a very clear yellow gold. Minimal head was quickly gone. No lacing.

S - Light grains, very light hops, grape/apple juice and a whiff of yeast. Not the most inviting beer.

T - Cooked rice, hints of apple/pear juice, with a mild nasty bitter and tart taste which continues into the aftertaste.

M - Heavy carbonation and a dry Champagne like finish. But Champagne this is not.

D - Got through a bottle on my first try. On my second attempt I couldn't finish it.

1.89/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Pale yellow, little carbonation, no head, no lacing.

Smell: Mild, mild sweet malt.

Taste: Rice with sugar, mixed sweet candy ground to a powder and sprinkled in water. It reminds me of this grape-like thing to make wine called something like muskeydines.

They otta be ashamed to call this beer even if fruit is associated with it. I'm tempted to remove this review so nobody knows I was stupid enough to drink this.

1.92/5  rDev -29.7%

A-Poured a color that reminded me to drink more water. It's pale gold, and the head was like a can of 7-up...thin, highly active for about 5 seconds, then just a few bubbles coming up.

S-Getting some esters and medicinal traces that compete for attention, a faint, faint bit of tropical fruit and heavier apple, light grains. It's in a narrow bandwidth of bouquets where you linger between something that could be the edge of greatness, or nasty funk...only tasting will tell.

T-The taste continues the journey, but not in the direction I had hoped. I feel like I'm sucking on a juicy band-aid that is competing with the apple flavors. This is the worst-tasting beer I've had in a while, and the first I won't finish in a long time...only got about 1/3 through before giving up.

M-Mouthfeel is okay, but I can't overlook the flavor. Body is a bit thicker than what I was expecting, but it's still really light. Carbonation is good.

D-A disappointment. My friends have recommended a tour of this brewery in Milwaukee come summer, and I'll be there, but I'll stay away from this one. This is my first brew of this variety, and I felt inclined to try it since I'm new to this whole gig, and sorghum sounded different.

1.95/5  rDev -28.6%

This is a rather uninspiring pale yellow to light gold beer with no real lacing, but does deposit a light film when swirled in a tulip glass.

The grains are present in the aroma as straw and some banana, all rather unpleasant throughout the session.

Commenting on the flavor, would only result in rude notes. Basically I'm left wondering what was the point of producing this beer. I had anticipated a grainy, oddly sweet beer, and while there are hints, it may be more subliminal suggestion that real flavors.

The palate is crisp and light bodied, without the pleasing qualities of a pilsner. Perhaps this is intended to lour the uninitiated, but as a fruit beer is unlikely to succeed.

How should one properly describe a beer with no redeeming qualities, without being disrespectful? After all, surely other people like this one, and definitely the brewers put much effort to bring it to the market. Unfortunately, for me this is a pass, but I raise my glass to the many fine examples from Lakefront.

1.98/5  rDev -27.5%

Pours a lackluster gold with amber highlights(it's a stretch to call them highlights),the head is off white and thin with absolutely no lacing. I do believe that I have smelled bottled water with more aroma than this,thin apple is all I really pick up. A sourish flavor profile is hard to get past and really is the backbone of this maltless creation. Cider vinegar and underlying green apple are the most predominant flavors. This isn't offensive to me, but I see how it could be to some. A thin,watery, overly carbonated body doesn't help New Grist in any way shape or form. Give this a try if your in the mood for something different, just keep your expectations low. Really not worth the trouble.

12 oz bottle from LCBO.

Pours a clear straw yellow, ciderish looking, very thin white head forms and settles to a very thin bubbly ring before disappearing completely, no lacing.

Smell is interesting, lots of apple juice, some graininess, definitely a sorghum/spelt sort of aroma, alcohol, not very good.

Taste is similar, basically just tastes like a cider, some pears, light grains, a touch of sugary sweetness and some booze, sharp acidic finish.

Mouthfeel is very light and thin bodied, medium carbonation. I know gluten free beers are hard to make, but this is a poor effort.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Reviewed live. Expectations are low.

A- Almost no head, quick erosion. Very little linger. Slight soapy lacing. Pale golden color with crystal clarity.

S- Spicy, soapy, grassy. The things you don't want in a beer.

T- Light and somewhat spicy.

M- Watery with some syrupy feel at the end.

O- Not unbearable, but certainly not good.

I am not a fan. I will not be having this again when other choices are available. That said, I suppose it would be better than no beer at all, so don't let my comments discourage those of you who happen to have the misfortune of Celiac disease.

It is a hazy dark yellow color with minimal head. Aroma is very faintly of hops (inhale very deeply) with nothing else to speak of. Flavor is sort of corn syrup-y with a weird cereal-ness which was not very appealing. Mouthfeel is slick and watery.

New Grist Gluten-Free Pilsner Style Beer from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.