New Grist Gluten-Free Pilsner Style Beer - Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

New Grist Gluten-Free Pilsner Style BeerNew Grist Gluten-Free Pilsner Style Beer

poor

Lakefront Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.75% ABV

Beer added by: mentor on 10-13-2005

1.28/5  rDev -53.6%

Bottle: Poured a super yellow color beer with a small white foamy head with minimal retention and not much lacing. Aroma of light unrefined grainy notes. Taste is quite light with some more or less pleasant notes of unrefined grain. Body is light with medium carbonation. Not need to revisit his one unless I have to stop eating gluten. (336 characters)

3.32/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pale yellow-gold with scads of big bubbles clinging to the glass and rushing up to an unusual looking bright white head. The cap looks decently sticky, but is deflating rapidly and is leaving the glass virtually untouched. I'm sure the unique ingredients are responsible for the (lack of) foam quality, but I've seen better looking lids on macro lagers.

The nose is pretty weak. What I can appreciate is unlike anything I've smelled before in the world of beer. It must be either sorghum or 'gluten-free yeast grown on molasses'. Maybe both. For the record, NGSB doesn't actually smell like molasses. The nose, while interesting, isn't overly appealing. I think a little more highly of it as the beer warms and once I put it in the context of the flavor.

I don't hate it. Call me crazy, but I think I do appreciate a hint of molasses. Even more than the nose, the flavor profile is unique. New Grist is more (green apple) fruity than anticipated. It's been a while, but this beer reminds me of Buckwheat Ale from Rogue. Buckwheat, or soba, is a fruit in case you were wondering.

In any case, the flavor is mild enough that it couldn't get into too much trouble even if it was nasty... which it isn't. A little more hop flavor and hop bitterness would be nice. The label is correct when it says 'a crisp and refreshing session ale'. It's definitely crisp and I guess refreshing is a matter of opinion depending on how many other options you have.

I've decided to take style (gluten-free, not the one listed above) into account when assigning the taste and drinkability scores. Actually, if I took style *completely* into account, the scores would both be a half point higher. The mouthfeel is light and crisp and... uh... refreshing. Thankfully, it doesn't have that oiliness that some non-barley beer has.

New Grist Sorghum Beer is pretty good stuff if one cracks the cap with an open mind. It's one of the better beers of this type that I've had so far. It would probably be the best if I hadn't recently had my eyes opened by the outstanding, envelope-shredding Sprecher Shakparo (Fire-Brewed African-Style Ale). (2,129 characters)

2.9/5  rDev +5.1%

355ml bottle. Apparently this is the best-selling GF beer at my local bottleshop - time to find out what that's all about.

This beer pours a clear, very pale yellow, ginger ale-like colour, with one rather skinny finger of thinly foamy, and somewhat bubbly dirty white head, which settles quickly, leaving a low coral ring of lace around the glass.

It smells of sweet, generically fruity, um, 'grain' (likely the rice and thankfully not the sorghum), pear cider, musty white grape juice, and a bit of soft fruity sourness. The taste is more thin, weirdly glutenous grain (rice pudding flitting in and out of mind), a sweet 'n tart apple and grape fruitiness, which dovetails into cider and vinous territory as the slight booze warming takes hold, and a mild musty, dusty farmer's field essence, the top-billed ingredient not to be totally denied the floor.

The carbonation is moderate, and a little sassy in its otherwise lulling frothiness, the body light, fruity (natch), and much smoother than I was expecting. It finishes still sweet, and just a wee bit cloying, but lacking any weird off-flavours save the persistent fermented fruit notes.

While pale and light and thin...i.e. par for the course, I can't help but think better of this offering, when viewing it solely as a fruit beer, because that's mostly what I'm getting. The tactile issues still matter, of course, but I appreciate the lack of strange vegetal essences I've come to expect from these alterna-grain beers, so, overall, this is all right - I would not hesitate in recommending it to anyone with a gluten intolerance, who are cursed with wanting a beer. (1,630 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +30.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This isn't a bad alternative for those on a gluten-free diet.

Label clearly states that it is made from sorghum and rice extract, if you have a problem with those ingredients, choose something else.

Pours a clear amber-yellow with a decent frothy head into a pilsner glass. Lace sticks around after time passes.

Smells like beer, nothing out of the ordinary.

Taste has a slight sweetness from the sorghum, often a substitute for molasses/maple syrup in the south. Malted rice gives a light sense of maltiness to the overall profile.

Mouthfeel is thin, and it's easy to drink, not a bad alternative to other beers if you're gluten-intolerant or have Celiac's. (668 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle served right out of the fridge and poured into a pint glass

A - Poured a very light and very bright pale golden yellow, essentially a straw colored liquid, but almost lighter then that yet, like pale hay. Lots of fizzy soda like carbonation streaming up toward the top from the bottom of the glass, so much so that it seemed like an upside down waterfall at times. A nice two finger high head of fizzy white foam was across the top and this quickly faded and left behind essentially nothing but a thin layer across the top that was constantly refreshed by all of this carbonation. To be honest this looked exactly like a macro, and this was not making me happy in the slightest.

S - The aroma was very very light, almost non existent which was really letting me down, but after a few minutes it did pick up a little bit and start to give off a few hints of what the actually profile might be like. Some light aromas of you guessed it straw or wheat coming off of here, as well as some light hints at rice or light earthy cereal grains. But everything was just very light and really non descript. I searched over and over for the slightest little bit of hoppiness and thought I picked up a little citrus, but I may have just been imagining it. Pretty much a carbon copy of a boring dull macro lager.

T - Wow, not quite going in the right direction here, as I took the first taste and noticed this was going to come off as nothing more then a bit of a dull tasting fizzy mess, a gluten free macro beer so to speak. The main player in this one was a straw tasting rice like taste that was both very light in profile, and even equally as bland tasting. This was really as in depth as the flavor was able to get, there was some very light banana like fruity, maybe leaked into this , but other than that the profile was just too light to really make any use of. The finish was very quick and light with really no lingering flavor to it. Refreshing, I will give it that, but not really tasty in anyway. There was a touch of something grass like in the finish, but it too was way too light and really did not do much of anything to help.

M - A super light bodied ale with extremely large amounts of carbonation made this one of the lightest beers I have had in recent memory. It was very crisp and clean, with a very nice refreshing quality, and I have to give it high marks in this category, as there was really and truly nothing wrong with the way this one felt.

D - An outstanding beer to go out and cut the lawn on a hot day. It was very refreshing with very low ABV and a nice crisp consistency. However it was soo light you could actually use it as a water substitute. I literally put this one down in a matter of minutes, just so I could go for something a bit bigger. Almost too drinkable if there is such a thing.

Overall I was really not impressed with this one. Being a Gluten Free beer I was not really sure what to expect going in, but I did not think it was going to be good. I did not expect it was going to be like a macro basically. And it was, pretty much a macro without all the normal ingredients. I would not recommend this one, nor will I be going back to it anytime soon. (3,205 characters)

2.78/5  rDev +0.7%

A - Poured out a clear yellow hue with a good deal of carbonation and a very small, white fizzy head. No lace.

S - It smelled of sweet and citrusy, but there was also a subtle aroma of vinegar.

T - It tasted a little sour at first sip. Then it reminded me of an apple cider like Hornsby's but not as good.

M - It was crisp and relatively sharp. A light bodied beer.

D - There is a subtle vinegar aftertaste otherwise it is okay. If you had to drink this for medical reasons it could work. (492 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -8.3%

My second gluten free beer!

A: The beer pours very, very pale yellow with an unimpressive white head.

S: The aroma very heavy on apple. Starts off with some sour, green apple and is followed by apple cider. It's pretty watery, however, and there really is not much going on in the aroma. Maybe a light funk to it.

T: As with the aroma, a heavy emphasis on apples. Green apple and apple cider are once again present with a light rice note, too. Some hints of grass, but overall it's quite watery.

M: Light/watery in body with a medium carbonation

O: Slightly better than Redbridge, but still pretty unpleasant. (614 characters)

2.98/5  rDev +8%

Served in a Gale Sayers shaker pint glass.

My first gluten-free beer. And it's accompanying "Troll Hunter", no less. My kind o' night. It pours a clear light straw topped by a half-finger of off-white foam. The nose comprises grass, sweet flowers, light wheat, and a vague fruitiness, sorta like the strawberry-flavored Runts. The taste runs very similarly, but this time the fake strawberry flavor is stronger. Near the finish, it falls away completely, leaving only a watery, rice-y taste in the mouth. The body is pretty light, though it seems like its gaining weight, with a light moderate carbonation and a decidedly watery feel. Overall, a pretty weak, somewhat strange beer. It's a bit off-putting, but not altogether bad, really. I'm gonna haveta try some other gluten-free beers, but for now I'm glad I can handle the gluten... (837 characters)

3.08/5  rDev +11.6%

Interesting beer. It pours a clear golden body beneath a creamy head of bright white that holds well and leaves some nice lace about the glass. The nose offers some floral and grassy hops, and a bit of sweetness. In the mouth it's medium bodied and effervescently crisp. The flavor is sweet and malty, but not particularly grainy. Hop flavor is limited, but there's some floral character there; and a light touch of tartness as well. A fairly solid bitterness resides underneath. Still, the sweetness tends to linger. It finishes with a sweetness that's a bit sticky, but soon erodes to reveal a rough, lingering bitterness.

I'm guessing that this is made for people with Celiac's disease, an auto-immune disorder of the small bowel caused by a reaction to gluten, which i then causes gastric problems (mainly diarrhea and upset stomach) and interferes with the absorption of nutrients. If this is their only choice, I feel sorry for anyone who has it. However, I have tasted better beers made without wheat or barley. (1,022 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -15.9%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color with a very thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of fruity with lemon and apples, accompanied by light malts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste is full of fruit and rice, with a sweet & sour type of flavor to it. The malt character is thin and there not much of a hops presence at all. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp with a little smoothness, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, clean finish.

D: I didn’t find it very tasty, goes down ok, not very filling, it’s quite different but it didn’t really appeal to me. (688 characters)

2.98/5  rDev +8%

Went out on a limb and tried this one as I haven't had a sorghum based beer before. One of the big selling points is that this is 'gluten-free'. I'm not even sure what gluten is but many people consume it and live long so I'm not concerned. As a beer in general, it's really just average, maybe slightly below. Very bland in taste and appearance, not much for flavor. I guess if you don't want any glutens in your diet it's good to get, but as a regular beer drinker look elsewhere. (482 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +17.8%

Seriously pours as light in color as champagne, like J Roget champagne. Alot of bubbling high carbonation level, the head forms bright white and dwindles pretty quickly. Aroma has a sweet semi cider like tartness about it, that has a sliced red apple smell about it. Taste isn't beer like at all, maybe like sake light or something. Sweet wine like tart white grapes or sliced red apple juicy qualities, very palatable just doesn't taste like beer without the malt. This is for those poor folks with the gluten allergy who follow the celiac diet, actually I'd prefer this over Red Bridge. Mouthfeel is super light carbonation is a bit effervescent and the finish is dry and even wine like but quite enjoyable. Drinkability overall not bad easiest drinking gluten free beer I've tasted thus far with interesting flavor combinations. (831 characters)

The beer pours a very pale gold color with a 1/2" white head that quickly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a light and slightly fruity scent. I guess it contains no malts, so there isn't any malt character. It's crisp and clean. The taste is average. It has a relatively tasteless flavor. It's light and a bit tart with a mildly dry finish. The mouthfeel is average also. It's a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a different tasting beer. It's light and refreshing, but with little to no flavor. It's like drinking seltzer water that contains alcohol. (576 characters)

2.96/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I spied this as a sixer in the Friendly Greek's cooler, but Teddy was reluctant to split it up as he has a number of gluten-sensitive customers and he was unsure about allowing others open access to it. Since then, he routinely puts singles in the cooler as even the people who drink it are not necessarily interested in a full six pack.

From the bottle: "Certified (GF) Gluten-Free".

I Pop!ped the cap without any notable occurrences, so I employed an aggro pour to get things started. This produced two-plus fingers of foamy, bone-white head with reasonable retention. Color was Pale-Straw (SRM = 1 - 2) with NE-plus quality clarity. Nose smelled like apple juice or apple sauce! Is there a difference? Apples to apples. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium. The taste was odd. It had an apple-like taste but it was very dry instead of being the expected sweet. I began to think of a cross between apple and pear ciders and the more that I cogitated on it, the more that I liked it. It could be a bridge between beer and cider for beer drinkers and for the G-F crowd, it would make a nice alternative to cider. I am sorry, but most G-F beers are really lacking or need help in the form of a blend. The ciders, which are naturally G-F, do not have this problem. The finish was gaspingly dry and I even began to think of a dry white wine. I liked this, but one was probably plenty. It might be a good mixer with cider or with some of the less-palatable G-F beers. (1,458 characters)

3.12/5  rDev +13%

Pours a pale golden yellow with some dish soap-like bubbly head that quickly fades. The nose smells of soap, yeast, and sugar. The taste is sweet and candy-like with some faint grassy, earthy hops in the finish. The mouthfeel is light bodied and moderately carbonated.

It's better than other sorghum based beers that I've had, but it's still not very good. The sorghum always makes the beer very sweet which in my opinion detracts from the overall flavor. I won't seek this one out again. (489 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +12.3%

Appearance: pours a pale yellow color with 1/2" head. Some spots of lace developed during the session, but they disappear quickly.

Smell: lemon and some sweetness is detectable.

Taste: Green grapes, lemon, and apple make this a bit fruity overall, but has a macro beer feel. Some grass and a hint of bitterness rounds it out.

Mouthfeel: crisp, clean, and light bodied.

Drinkability: easy to quaff but very dull and boring on the tastebuds. (451 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -6.2%

The last time I had a gluten free beer, was when I was at Deschutes pub in Portland. I love that brewery to death, and the gluten free beer I had from them was very memorable. That is because it was the only beer I absolutely did not enjoy. SO, how does this one stack up? Poured into a nonic pint glass.

Holy cow on appearance. This is official, this is the LIGHTEST colored beer I have ever witnessed. Out of the bottle I thought I was pouring water with an edge of faint lemon. Body color hits with a ridiculous hay straw body, so incredibly pale and clear. Head forms shocking white, barley manages a finger, very soapy, and then falls with a pock marked puck, and faint collar. Carbonation rises excessively throughout. Regardless of what it doesn't contain this beer looks nasty.

Nose is a very noticeable green apple skin. Clean smelling, weak, wet sense coming. Hints of minor diacetyl. I am sort of stunned here if not complete scared. Strangely not off putting, but just bizarre.

Taste brings the apple front strong to the palate. Crisp action on an extremely WET body. Afterfinish leaves lots of fruit canned cocktail action. This is very interesting on the palate but it comes off as some beer hybrid. Fruity forward tremendously, VERY large on this angle. As mentioned very wet body, but not very fizzy though.

This beer comes off across as some sort of weak apple juice on the nose, but I giant watery fruit cocktail palate. I've never had anything like this EVER. It strangely grows on me. Sessionable at 5.75?? I don't think so. I would drink this over some mass produced industrial lager, but there's so much better out there. As for gluten free beer? Strike two so far, I hope others have a more interesting taste profile than this. (1,754 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +15.9%

I think you have to review this as what it really is, a Gluten-free beer. As far as beer, or fruit/vegetable, this beer leaves a lot to be desired. It's low in flavor, has no hop character, and has no head retention. However, as a Celiac beer, it has a pleasant sweet flavor from the sorghum, like light molasses. Its also smooth and refreshing. Its sort of like a craft light beer. I'd take this if someone gave it to me, especially on a sweaty day, or if I became a Celiac. (475 characters)

3.07/5  rDev +11.2%

Okay, this one is a little different. I evaluated this one with a grain of salt given that it is a gluten free beer. That being said, it doesn't really taste like beer, more like a cross between beer and cider with a whole lot of bakers yeast in it. It pours very pale yellow with a quick bubbly head that fades immediately. The smell is odd, but not unpleasant with bakers yeast, passion fruit, and anticeptic. The taste is very light and fruity with apple juice, some slight metallic bitterness, and a slightly chalky graininess. Mouthfeel is crisp and light and despite all the fruit flavors fairly dry. Actually quite refrreshing when you get past all the odd flavors. (672 characters)

3.02/5  rDev +9.4%

This is a different sort of beer.

The pour reveals a clear light amber colored beer with a momentary white head.

Smell is strikingly fruity. There is a fruity scent that I perceive as persimmons. There is a floral scent here too that is a dead ringer for Chinese chamomile tea.

The taste is quite fruity and floral. Taste wise this is a beer version of chamomile tea. Strikingly floral this has a great deal in common with perfume.

Mouthfeel is not the strong point of this beer.

The drinkability here is OK. Not really a great beer so much as a unique one. This would be a great match for Chinese Food. (618 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -26.4%

Poured a nasty yellow color with very little head. Nose was weak, little aroma to be found. What little aroma there is might be described as grape like. Taste is really funky. Almost has a wine like quality, but the aftertaste is particularly unappealing. Another bad beer from Lakefront. (288 characters)

3.03/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass, this beer is an extremely pale, dull, gold color. The beer is crystal-clear, with a thin, filmy head. The nose was very nondescript. Hard time gleaming much from the aroma, but it was mostly sweet, with a slight sour blend. In mouth, the high carbonation makes the flavors of the beer sharp. Fruity and flowery highlights in the flavors, also. The beer has a sweet and light finish, with a slightly sour aftertaste. Extremely easy to drink, almost like a Fresca version of a beer. (520 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +46.7%

(Served in a dimple mug)

A- This beer has a deep yellow body with a soapy white film that clings to the glass. There is a big bubble carbonation.

S- The smell of sweet raw grain and raw cereals with a slight sour note in the background.

T- This beer has the slight sweet slight tangy finish with a light spice. The hops bitterness starts to come through as it warms.

M- The medium-full mouthfeel has a tight little fizz finish.

D- This beer has a very unique sweet and sour flavor but it is not the same qualities as a wit beer. I have never tasted any African sorghum beers but this beer has really got me interested. (637 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -18.1%

Pours a three finger fizzy, white head that vanishes to a ring leaving no lace. Crystal clear pale amber color. Strong carbonation and light bodied. Lemon nose. Starts sweet, fizzy and almost sour lemon flavor, clean finish. Could be a good summer beverage but I don't appreciate a substitute beer. $1.29 for a 12oz bottle from Blue Max Liquor Burnsville, Mn. (359 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

12ozer bought as a single from Oliver's Beverage, Albany, NY.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/4" white head over a crystal clear light gold (yellow?) brew. Head pulls a quick disappearing act, although lacing is surprisingly lasting. Aroma is light sweetness, little lese noted. Taste starts off with a nondescript sweetness, probably the rice, and then provides a slight citrus tinge, and then fades away with a lightly bitter aftertaste. Mouthfeel is smooth over the tongue initially, but almost gets hard to swallow, and drinkability is limited. Probably wouldn't drink this again unless I had to. This is a good alternative for those people who can't tolerate other grains, could be worse. (712 characters)

New Grist Gluten-Free Pilsner Style Beer from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.