New Grist Sorghum Beer - Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

New Grist Sorghum BeerNew Grist Sorghum Beer

poor

Lakefront Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.75% ABV

Beer added by: mentor on 10-13-2005

2.7/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

My first gluten free beer...

A - Pours a very pale golden colour, thin layer of head which quickly dissipates and leaves no trace of lacing.

S - Insanely mild, barely detectable with some leafy greens, sour grapes and white wine.

T - Sweet apples, a cider-ish type flavour, some sweet corn notes, leafy greens and the white wine comes through again.

M - Lighter bodied and reminiscent of a champagne, surprisingly smooth given the carbonation and finished wet.

O - I wasn't too sure what to expect, but I'm certainly glad that I'm able to drink beers which have gluten. Not too sure how this compares to other gluten free beers, but I would hate this to be one of the few options available to me if I had to avoid gluten.

3.5/5  rDev +28.7%

Sorghum is a staple grain in warmer climates. It's easier to grow then corn, and packed with circumstantial, much needed nutrition. Africa is known for producing light, crisp beer. Anytime you see 'sorghum with rice', think about those adjuncts, and review to style.

"New Grist" pours like water; little retention, hydrated pee like coloration. Bah, pee suggests it's bad, which it isn't. It's hard to believe there's any booze here at all, if it wasn't for the label. Lemon/lime flavor, with a little bite of sour bitterness cloying the nose."New Grist" calls itself a session beer, which I'll vouch for on a toasty summer Milwaukee evening.

2.58/5  rDev -5.1%

A - My god I think this is water! The clearest yellow you can think of on top of that diluted with... water! Carbonation is even lacing since I only got a slight layer of head that rises a glimpse of foam to mild bit of bubbles.

S - Smells like beer, mostly lemon water smell with some malt. Smells like a hefeweizen without the yeast. Kind of blah.

T - Not offensive but it pretty much taste like lemon water to me! No real malt flavors or even any trace of hops (gluten free means none right?) If anything I guess it hides the ABV well...

M - Never gave a beer a 2 but this is the lightest mouthfeel I ever had in a beer, but I mean whats the mouthfeel on lemon water.

Overall I don't think I will be wasting any more money on this brewery.

1.5/5  rDev -44.9%

3.06/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is my first gluten-free beer. Overall, I can say it was unoffensive, and slightly... well, almost,... maybe, uh...
Let's say it nearly gave a glimpse of something interesting.

A=Crystal clear and the palest liquid ever to venture into territory on the beerside of water. Although lightly carbonated, this beer didn't form a head.

S=There is a bit of cideriness to the smell, reminicent of the hint of acetaldehyde aroma found in a popular beechwood aged product. Beyond that, I get nothing.

T=Flavor is almost nonexistent, this lacked even the maltiness of the lightest lager. However, there is a bit of residual sweetness, which is not unpleasant. There is a very slight tartness that works with the sweetness and is sort of refreshing, or maybe it seems that way because it is sort of like water?

M=Perhaps I'm being generous for a beer that is at best comparable to an American light lager, but I prefer this one's mouth feel to that because it isn't highly carbonated. There is almost no acid burn with this making it more sessionable, more drinkable, if you will, than America's favorite beer.

Overall=Again, perhaps this is generous, but if I had Celiac's, I would be really grateful for this product. I hope more come along in this genre that expand upon complexity of taste and aroma.

2.59/5  rDev -4.8%

The last time I had a gluten free beer, was when I was at Deschutes pub in Portland. I love that brewery to death, and the gluten free beer I had from them was very memorable. That is because it was the only beer I absolutely did not enjoy. SO, how does this one stack up? Poured into a nonic pint glass.

Holy cow on appearance. This is official, this is the LIGHTEST colored beer I have ever witnessed. Out of the bottle I thought I was pouring water with an edge of faint lemon. Body color hits with a ridiculous hay straw body, so incredibly pale and clear. Head forms shocking white, barley manages a finger, very soapy, and then falls with a pock marked puck, and faint collar. Carbonation rises excessively throughout. Regardless of what it doesn't contain this beer looks nasty.

Nose is a very noticeable green apple skin. Clean smelling, weak, wet sense coming. Hints of minor diacetyl. I am sort of stunned here if not complete scared. Strangely not off putting, but just bizarre.

Taste brings the apple front strong to the palate. Crisp action on an extremely WET body. Afterfinish leaves lots of fruit canned cocktail action. This is very interesting on the palate but it comes off as some beer hybrid. Fruity forward tremendously, VERY large on this angle. As mentioned very wet body, but not very fizzy though.

This beer comes off across as some sort of weak apple juice on the nose, but I giant watery fruit cocktail palate. I've never had anything like this EVER. It strangely grows on me. Sessionable at 5.75?? I don't think so. I would drink this over some mass produced industrial lager, but there's so much better out there. As for gluten free beer? Strike two so far, I hope others have a more interesting taste profile than this.

3.25/5  rDev +19.5%

Seriously pours as light in color as champagne, like J Roget champagne. Alot of bubbling high carbonation level, the head forms bright white and dwindles pretty quickly. Aroma has a sweet semi cider like tartness about it, that has a sliced red apple smell about it. Taste isn't beer like at all, maybe like sake light or something. Sweet wine like tart white grapes or sliced red apple juicy qualities, very palatable just doesn't taste like beer without the malt. This is for those poor folks with the gluten allergy who follow the celiac diet, actually I'd prefer this over Red Bridge. Mouthfeel is super light carbonation is a bit effervescent and the finish is dry and even wine like but quite enjoyable. Drinkability overall not bad easiest drinking gluten free beer I've tasted thus far with interesting flavor combinations.

1.67/5  rDev -38.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Poured into a perfect pint.

3.5 A: What the fuck?!!?! Is this beer? This is lighter than most of the BMC lineup. Lightly yellow tinted clear. One finger of frothy white head. The retention is actually pretty good and a good bit of lacing is left behind.

1.5 S: Smells like straight up rice. That's about it.

1.5 T: Tastes like nothing, but is sweet at the same time. At first I kinda liked it, but after a few more sips, I discovered that it's actually pretty offensive. This tastes like ginger ale without the ginger.

2.0 M: Light body. A bit overcarbonated. Too sweet (in a strange way) to be smooth.

1.5 D: Yep, this sucks. No reason to buy this other than to tick it and/or lower your average score.

2.97/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours a clear, gold color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Slight retention and poor lacing. Smells of grain, sorghum?, hint of hop, and a hint of citrus. Not really a Fruit / Vegetable beer, just using a different grain source. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of grain, sorghum?, and a hint of hop. Overall, I'm not a fan of sorghum beers, and this has not changed my mind.

3.12/5  rDev +14.7%

Pours a pale golden yellow with some dish soap-like bubbly head that quickly fades. The nose smells of soap, yeast, and sugar. The taste is sweet and candy-like with some faint grassy, earthy hops in the finish. The mouthfeel is light bodied and moderately carbonated.

It's better than other sorghum based beers that I've had, but it's still not very good. The sorghum always makes the beer very sweet which in my opinion detracts from the overall flavor. I won't seek this one out again.

1.28/5  rDev -52.9%

Bottle: Poured a super yellow color beer with a small white foamy head with minimal retention and not much lacing. Aroma of light unrefined grainy notes. Taste is quite light with some more or less pleasant notes of unrefined grain. Body is light with medium carbonation. Not need to revisit his one unless I have to stop eating gluten.

2.53/5  rDev -7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a clear pint glass. Paid $1.65 for single at Life Source Natural Foods in Salem, OR. Bottled first week of August (2011 I hope). My second gluten-free beer. I liked Estrella Damm Daura much better, and I don't much care for lagers.

A-Pours a very pale yellow with an unimpressive white head that dissipates much too quickly. Sounded like soda pop when pouring.

S-The aroma is more apple than anything else. In fact, looks and smells more like apple cider.

T-As with the aroma, taste is very much like apple cider with a light rice note.

M-Watery and too thin.

O-This is the first sorghum based gluten-free beer I have had and hope others are better.

2.98/5  rDev +9.6%

Served in a Gale Sayers shaker pint glass.

My first gluten-free beer. And it's accompanying "Troll Hunter", no less. My kind o' night. It pours a clear light straw topped by a half-finger of off-white foam. The nose comprises grass, sweet flowers, light wheat, and a vague fruitiness, sorta like the strawberry-flavored Runts. The taste runs very similarly, but this time the fake strawberry flavor is stronger. Near the finish, it falls away completely, leaving only a watery, rice-y taste in the mouth. The body is pretty light, though it seems like its gaining weight, with a light moderate carbonation and a decidedly watery feel. Overall, a pretty weak, somewhat strange beer. It's a bit off-putting, but not altogether bad, really. I'm gonna haveta try some other gluten-free beers, but for now I'm glad I can handle the gluten...

2.73/5  rDev +0.4%

Motivated to try something without malted barley after reading an article on gluten-free beer in TAPS magazine. Consider myself very lucky to be able to return to a beverage containing gluten for my next bottle!

A bright golden yellow with almost no carbonation. Some large bubbles at pour, but no head and the beer appears flat after a minute of sitting. Aroma is of sweet fruit. Taste is bland and golden, typical of a macro lager, until cider element at end. Sweet fruit - I'd guess apple? - with a bitter, dry finish. An odd combination that wouldn't be my first choice. No hint of hops in aroma or taste other than the bittering kind.

Not something I'm likely to purchase again, but glad someone is providing options to celiac sufferers.

New Grist Sorghum Beer from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.