New Grist Sorghum Beer - Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

New Grist Sorghum BeerNew Grist Sorghum Beer

poor

Lakefront Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.75% ABV

Beer added by: mentor on 10-13-2005

2.6/5  rDev -4.4%

A - My god I think this is water! The clearest yellow you can think of on top of that diluted with... water! Carbonation is even lacing since I only got a slight layer of head that rises a glimpse of foam to mild bit of bubbles.

S - Smells like beer, mostly lemon water smell with some malt. Smells like a hefeweizen without the yeast. Kind of blah.

T - Not offensive but it pretty much taste like lemon water to me! No real malt flavors or even any trace of hops (gluten free means none right?) If anything I guess it hides the ABV well...

M - Never gave a beer a 2 but this is the lightest mouthfeel I ever had in a beer, but I mean whats the mouthfeel on lemon water.

Overall I don't think I will be wasting any more money on this brewery.

1.5/5  rDev -44.9%

3.08/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is my first gluten-free beer. Overall, I can say it was unoffensive, and slightly... well, almost,... maybe, uh...
Let's say it nearly gave a glimpse of something interesting.

A=Crystal clear and the palest liquid ever to venture into territory on the beerside of water. Although lightly carbonated, this beer didn't form a head.

S=There is a bit of cideriness to the smell, reminicent of the hint of acetaldehyde aroma found in a popular beechwood aged product. Beyond that, I get nothing.

T=Flavor is almost nonexistent, this lacked even the maltiness of the lightest lager. However, there is a bit of residual sweetness, which is not unpleasant. There is a very slight tartness that works with the sweetness and is sort of refreshing, or maybe it seems that way because it is sort of like water?

M=Perhaps I'm being generous for a beer that is at best comparable to an American light lager, but I prefer this one's mouth feel to that because it isn't highly carbonated. There is almost no acid burn with this making it more sessionable, more drinkable, if you will, than America's favorite beer.

Overall=Again, perhaps this is generous, but if I had Celiac's, I would be really grateful for this product. I hope more come along in this genre that expand upon complexity of taste and aroma.

2.63/5  rDev -3.3%

The last time I had a gluten free beer, was when I was at Deschutes pub in Portland. I love that brewery to death, and the gluten free beer I had from them was very memorable. That is because it was the only beer I absolutely did not enjoy. SO, how does this one stack up? Poured into a nonic pint glass.

Holy cow on appearance. This is official, this is the LIGHTEST colored beer I have ever witnessed. Out of the bottle I thought I was pouring water with an edge of faint lemon. Body color hits with a ridiculous hay straw body, so incredibly pale and clear. Head forms shocking white, barley manages a finger, very soapy, and then falls with a pock marked puck, and faint collar. Carbonation rises excessively throughout. Regardless of what it doesn't contain this beer looks nasty.

Nose is a very noticeable green apple skin. Clean smelling, weak, wet sense coming. Hints of minor diacetyl. I am sort of stunned here if not complete scared. Strangely not off putting, but just bizarre.

Taste brings the apple front strong to the palate. Crisp action on an extremely WET body. Afterfinish leaves lots of fruit canned cocktail action. This is very interesting on the palate but it comes off as some beer hybrid. Fruity forward tremendously, VERY large on this angle. As mentioned very wet body, but not very fizzy though.

This beer comes off across as some sort of weak apple juice on the nose, but I giant watery fruit cocktail palate. I've never had anything like this EVER. It strangely grows on me. Sessionable at 5.75?? I don't think so. I would drink this over some mass produced industrial lager, but there's so much better out there. As for gluten free beer? Strike two so far, I hope others have a more interesting taste profile than this.

3.23/5  rDev +18.8%

Seriously pours as light in color as champagne, like J Roget champagne. Alot of bubbling high carbonation level, the head forms bright white and dwindles pretty quickly. Aroma has a sweet semi cider like tartness about it, that has a sliced red apple smell about it. Taste isn't beer like at all, maybe like sake light or something. Sweet wine like tart white grapes or sliced red apple juicy qualities, very palatable just doesn't taste like beer without the malt. This is for those poor folks with the gluten allergy who follow the celiac diet, actually I'd prefer this over Red Bridge. Mouthfeel is super light carbonation is a bit effervescent and the finish is dry and even wine like but quite enjoyable. Drinkability overall not bad easiest drinking gluten free beer I've tasted thus far with interesting flavor combinations.

2.5/5  rDev -8.1%

2.5/5  rDev -8.1%

1.65/5  rDev -39.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Poured into a perfect pint.

3.5 A: What the fuck?!!?! Is this beer? This is lighter than most of the BMC lineup. Lightly yellow tinted clear. One finger of frothy white head. The retention is actually pretty good and a good bit of lacing is left behind.

1.5 S: Smells like straight up rice. That's about it.

1.5 T: Tastes like nothing, but is sweet at the same time. At first I kinda liked it, but after a few more sips, I discovered that it's actually pretty offensive. This tastes like ginger ale without the ginger.

2.0 M: Light body. A bit overcarbonated. Too sweet (in a strange way) to be smooth.

1.5 D: Yep, this sucks. No reason to buy this other than to tick it and/or lower your average score.

2.98/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours a clear, gold color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Slight retention and poor lacing. Smells of grain, sorghum?, hint of hop, and a hint of citrus. Not really a Fruit / Vegetable beer, just using a different grain source. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of grain, sorghum?, and a hint of hop. Overall, I'm not a fan of sorghum beers, and this has not changed my mind.

3.18/5  rDev +16.9%

Pours a pale golden yellow with some dish soap-like bubbly head that quickly fades. The nose smells of soap, yeast, and sugar. The taste is sweet and candy-like with some faint grassy, earthy hops in the finish. The mouthfeel is light bodied and moderately carbonated.

It's better than other sorghum based beers that I've had, but it's still not very good. The sorghum always makes the beer very sweet which in my opinion detracts from the overall flavor. I won't seek this one out again.

1.25/5  rDev -54%

Bottle: Poured a super yellow color beer with a small white foamy head with minimal retention and not much lacing. Aroma of light unrefined grainy notes. Taste is quite light with some more or less pleasant notes of unrefined grain. Body is light with medium carbonation. Not need to revisit his one unless I have to stop eating gluten.

2.53/5  rDev -7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a clear pint glass. Paid $1.65 for single at Life Source Natural Foods in Salem, OR. Bottled first week of August (2011 I hope). My second gluten-free beer. I liked Estrella Damm Daura much better, and I don't much care for lagers.

A-Pours a very pale yellow with an unimpressive white head that dissipates much too quickly. Sounded like soda pop when pouring.

S-The aroma is more apple than anything else. In fact, looks and smells more like apple cider.

T-As with the aroma, taste is very much like apple cider with a light rice note.

M-Watery and too thin.

O-This is the first sorghum based gluten-free beer I have had and hope others are better.

2.98/5  rDev +9.6%

Served in a Gale Sayers shaker pint glass.

My first gluten-free beer. And it's accompanying "Troll Hunter", no less. My kind o' night. It pours a clear light straw topped by a half-finger of off-white foam. The nose comprises grass, sweet flowers, light wheat, and a vague fruitiness, sorta like the strawberry-flavored Runts. The taste runs very similarly, but this time the fake strawberry flavor is stronger. Near the finish, it falls away completely, leaving only a watery, rice-y taste in the mouth. The body is pretty light, though it seems like its gaining weight, with a light moderate carbonation and a decidedly watery feel. Overall, a pretty weak, somewhat strange beer. It's a bit off-putting, but not altogether bad, really. I'm gonna haveta try some other gluten-free beers, but for now I'm glad I can handle the gluten...

2.75/5  rDev +1.1%

Motivated to try something without malted barley after reading an article on gluten-free beer in TAPS magazine. Consider myself very lucky to be able to return to a beverage containing gluten for my next bottle!

A bright golden yellow with almost no carbonation. Some large bubbles at pour, but no head and the beer appears flat after a minute of sitting. Aroma is of sweet fruit. Taste is bland and golden, typical of a macro lager, until cider element at end. Sweet fruit - I'd guess apple? - with a bitter, dry finish. An odd combination that wouldn't be my first choice. No hint of hops in aroma or taste other than the bittering kind.

Not something I'm likely to purchase again, but glad someone is providing options to celiac sufferers.

2.53/5  rDev -7%

My second gluten free beer!

A: The beer pours very, very pale yellow with an unimpressive white head.

S: The aroma very heavy on apple. Starts off with some sour, green apple and is followed by apple cider. It's pretty watery, however, and there really is not much going on in the aroma. Maybe a light funk to it.

T: As with the aroma, a heavy emphasis on apples. Green apple and apple cider are once again present with a light rice note, too. Some hints of grass, but overall it's quite watery.

M: Light/watery in body with a medium carbonation

O: Slightly better than Redbridge, but still pretty unpleasant.

3.73/5  rDev +37.1%

Another hot humid day. Got the kids kickball stuck in the tree. A half hour later and roughly 100 attempts with the football to get it out, it remains in the tree. It was time to rest the arm and enjoy a cold one on the patio. I got this one in a build your own six pack the other day.

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into my Shiner Bock summertime drinking mug.

A) It's a cloudy yellow. There was not much head, although what was there did stick around for a bit. The appearance was not overly impressive.

S) The smell is not overpowering by any means. It smells of minute rice, and a bit of sweet citrus. There is a little white grape juice aroma. I rather liked the smell.

T) This combination really works for me. It tastes of rice, a bit of citrus, green grape skin, mild sweetness. It is well balanced IMO.

M) It is light and a little slick. It is not to carbonated, and very easy going.

O) I don't require a gluten free beer, but I'd go for this again. The label says this is a crisp and refreshing session beer. You'll get no argument from me.

3.5/5  rDev +28.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Transparent with a great deal of carbonation. Color is similar to that of ginger ale. Head dissipates rather quickly.

Smell: Nose is extremely sour and sweet. The perceived sourness is likely a result of the sorghum, as most other sorghum beers share this aroma. The sweetness resembles that of freshly pressed apples or cider.

Taste: Lighted toasted malts upfront. Possibly some hop character hiding in the background, lending just a hint of bitterness. Finish is sweet and tart like green apples.

Mouthfeel: Light and crisp, really cleanses the palate after each sip. Sweetness lingers a bit on the finish, but is actually quite pleasant.

Overall: When reviewing this beer I rated it relative to other gluten free beers, not to fruit/vegatable beers, as BA suggests. In terms of gluten free beers this is really the best I've found. It could definitely use more hop character and have the sweetness toned down a bit. But the main thing is that the taste is pleasant and refreshing, regardless of the fact that it does better as a cider than an ale.

2.93/5  rDev +7.7%

355ml bottle. Apparently this is the best-selling GF beer at my local bottleshop - time to find out what that's all about.

This beer pours a clear, very pale yellow, ginger ale-like colour, with one rather skinny finger of thinly foamy, and somewhat bubbly dirty white head, which settles quickly, leaving a low coral ring of lace around the glass.

It smells of sweet, generically fruity, um, 'grain' (likely the rice and thankfully not the sorghum), pear cider, musty white grape juice, and a bit of soft fruity sourness. The taste is more thin, weirdly glutenous grain (rice pudding flitting in and out of mind), a sweet 'n tart apple and grape fruitiness, which dovetails into cider and vinous territory as the slight booze warming takes hold, and a mild musty, dusty farmer's field essence, the top-billed ingredient not to be totally denied the floor.

The carbonation is moderate, and a little sassy in its otherwise lulling frothiness, the body light, fruity (natch), and much smoother than I was expecting. It finishes still sweet, and just a wee bit cloying, but lacking any weird off-flavours save the persistent fermented fruit notes.

While pale and light and thin...i.e. par for the course, I can't help but think better of this offering, when viewing it solely as a fruit beer, because that's mostly what I'm getting. The tactile issues still matter, of course, but I appreciate the lack of strange vegetal essences I've come to expect from these alterna-grain beers, so, overall, this is all right - I would not hesitate in recommending it to anyone with a gluten intolerance, who are cursed with wanting a beer.

3.18/5  rDev +16.9%

Pours really, really light into a pint glass. It might even be lighter and clearer than Bud Light. Coarse looking large bubbles, OK retention.

There is just not a lot in the nose. I get faint sweet apples.

This is interesting, I'll say that. It nearly comes across as an apple soda with light tart notes and hints of sweetness on the finish. It has none of the body you would normally associate with a beer brewed with malted barley.

Well, it's not terrible. It has more flavor nuance than light macro lagers - I'm sure that if I was intolerant of gluten, I'd get used to drinking this.

3.33/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

this beer is pretty interesting. It's made from sorghum and rice. I have to be honest, I had to google sorghum to even know what it is. Once I saw it I realized I grew up calling this stuff "sour grass" and used to chew it runnin around my parents farm- that all being said there is a sligh sour taste to this beer. It's similar to almost a sparkling white wine. It's very sweet and I'm sure the rice has to do with sweetness. It's not a bad beverage at all, it's just not very "beer-like"

2.9/5  rDev +6.6%

A - very pale golden color with some champagne-like bubbles coming up. Honestly, looks like a bud light.

S - sweet, slightly malty-sour smell. different. Not really sure what to expect as this is my first sorghum beer.

T - sweet, cidery up front. A lingering sourness on the sides of the tongue tinged with an earthy hint to it as well. Little bitterness.

M - not much body to this beer. Well carbonated, but not overly so.

Overall, not sure if this was good enough to make me curious about other sorghum beers. Decent though.

3.08/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass, this beer is an extremely pale, dull, gold color. The beer is crystal-clear, with a thin, filmy head. The nose was very nondescript. Hard time gleaming much from the aroma, but it was mostly sweet, with a slight sour blend. In mouth, the high carbonation makes the flavors of the beer sharp. Fruity and flowery highlights in the flavors, also. The beer has a sweet and light finish, with a slightly sour aftertaste. Extremely easy to drink, almost like a Fresca version of a beer.

New Grist Sorghum Beer from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.