New Grist Sorghum Beer - Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

New Grist Sorghum BeerNew Grist Sorghum Beer

poor

Lakefront Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.75% ABV

(Beer added by: mentor on 10-13-2005)
BeerSox

2.05/5  rDev -24.6%

12oz bottle into pint glass.

Crystal clear pale yellow with a thin light white fizzy head that settles to a thin rim.

Very light fruity aromas from the rice.

A hard flavor to describe: somewhat metallic and tart, fruit-like. Very clean. Light bodied with high carbonation.

Not much to talk about in this one. Each sip is more difficult than the last. Maybe there are some that would like this, but not me.

01-10-2009 19:30:30 | More by BeerSox
therica

Maryland

3.48/5  rDev +27.9%

Interesting.

A= golden yellow, small head

S= mild sorghum scent

T= reminded us of a sort of vanilla root-beer and yet it actually did drink like a light golden lager in most ways. Slightly sweet, went down smoothly.

M= clean with almost a light candy-drop hint on the tongue for a while

D= very drinkable

12-23-2008 03:14:52 | More by therica
Atron67

3.75/5  rDev +37.9%

A- poured a light golden color, slightly darker than your standard BMC. light white head built up then fell down quickly.

S- some tinny characteristic. not really any hops or malt.

T- A slightly sorghum sweetness at the start, but then quickly fades into a fading malt character that is balanced with hops on the bitterness scale, but otherwise doesnt really register.

M- highly carbonated. light body,

D- its ok, ide be grateful if i had Celiacs, however this isnt gonna be a regular one for me.

A pretty solid BMC replacement for those in need.

12-08-2008 23:46:04 | More by Atron67
colts9016

Idaho

2.85/5  rDev +4.8%

Okay this beer is rather intresting. The smell is sweet, floral molasses and yeast. The color is really light. The taste is like honey nut cheerios. with hops. Not a very good combination. The finish is what did it for me. I was long and not very good.

12-08-2008 00:32:53 | More by colts9016
dsa7783

2.8/5  rDev +2.9%

Appearance: Plain, boring, clear applejuice color, slight carbonation. No head nor lacing.
Smell: sweet, light malts, smells like red apples...
Taste: Similar to applejuice as well... Crisp, refreshing, but lacking in the flavor department...
Mouthfeel: Loose, watered-down...
Easily drinkable, but I doubt I'll finish this twelve-ounce bottle...
Pass...

10-17-2008 22:32:02 | More by dsa7783
oriolesfan4

Maryland

Went out on a limb and tried this one as I haven't had a sorghum based beer before. One of the big selling points is that this is 'gluten-free'. I'm not even sure what gluten is but many people consume it and live long so I'm not concerned. As a beer in general, it's really just average, maybe slightly below. Very bland in taste and appearance, not much for flavor. I guess if you don't want any glutens in your diet it's good to get, but as a regular beer drinker look elsewhere.

09-29-2008 04:07:30 | More by oriolesfan4
Rennpferd

3.53/5  rDev +29.8%

It poured a pale golden color with high levels of carbonation and a one finger head that quickly shrank back to a lite lacing.

It had a mixed smell rice and fresh cut grass. It is hard for me to define. It didn't smell typical to me.

I could almost taste the rice, but it was not clearly defined in the flavor. The grassy sorghum flavor dominated the taste. It had a lite non-watery body. It left an odd almost chalky aftertaste.

It tasted good but not really my glass of beer. I feel that Lakefront did a good job of representing this style of beer, but I just could not drink this regularly.

09-29-2008 01:17:18 | More by Rennpferd
cvstrickland

2.68/5  rDev -1.5%

12-ounce bottle poured into a shaker pint glass yields an extremely fizzy yellow body with a torrent of active bubbling that maintains a thin fizzy head that sizzles throughout the drink.Scraps of lacing remain on the glass.

The smell of the drink is sourish and tangy with a bit of spiced apple cider.

The taste is husky and bran cereal-like, with a bit of tartness that fades into a flavor something akin to soggy Raisin Bran, macerated in Michelob Ultra, sans raisins.

The feel of the drink is fine and all the carbonation seen through the glass helps crispen the brew and keep it light. Easily drinkable.

08-29-2008 14:37:27 | More by cvstrickland
zeff80

Missouri

2.8/5  rDev +2.9%

A - Poured out a clear yellow hue with a good deal of carbonation and a very small, white fizzy head. No lace.

S - It smelled of sweet and citrusy, but there was also a subtle aroma of vinegar.

T - It tasted a little sour at first sip. Then it reminded me of an apple cider like Hornsby's but not as good.

M - It was crisp and relatively sharp. A light bodied beer.

D - There is a subtle vinegar aftertaste otherwise it is okay. If you had to drink this for medical reasons it could work.

08-14-2008 01:46:43 | More by zeff80
Buebie

3.45/5  rDev +26.8%

First off, this bottle has been cellering since June of 2006. Got this at Heritage in St. Paul.

Poured a 12 oz brown bottle into a tulip. Head was white, 2 finger cola like. Fizzed and hissed like a cola and quickly vanished leaving no retention or lace.

Isnt much to say for smell here, I cant smell anything really. I had to take some and dab it in my nostrils to get that rice beer scent, some sweet maltyness and thats it.

Taste is crisp, sweet, bready in a very light way. At the swallow a zing of carbonation and crached pappercorn with a hint of grassy hops, a very small hint at that.
Some spice like flavors mingle through the middle and into the finish.
Watery, thin and thats all I can really add.

Not my favorite beer, but good for its style. More flavor then budweiser. Happy I got a chance to drink a 2 year old bottle as well.
Drinkable, good lawnmower brew.

07-28-2008 01:47:01 | More by Buebie
jrlhotka

1.35/5  rDev -50.4%

While I applaud Lakefront Brewery for trying something experimental, I have to say that this beer is really not good. The smell is barely there but sweet. The flavor is also very sweet, yet strikes me as a cross between flowers and poison... with sugar on top. The taste lingers... oh please stop lingering! I checked the bottle twice for a born on date, as I swore to God that this beered HAD to be spoiled or defective in some way. I bought a six pack out of curiosity and I have to say that this may be the first six pack I ever pour down the drain. Seriously... you can just skip this one all together.

07-26-2008 01:25:38 | More by jrlhotka
Rayek

Colorado

1.55/5  rDev -43%

Easily the worst of the sorghum based beers I've tried.

A: Pale gold color has nice clarity and active carbonation. Even the most vigorous pour didn't net much head. What little head did form was gone in an instant. Left no lace.

S: Very sweet. White sugar, apples, oranges, plus a mild whiff of grass in the background.

T: Tastes like a strange combination of sake and hard cider. Extremely sweet flavor has a strong apple presence, plus a little sweet rice. Hops are almost nonexistent. They add only a tiny amount of flavorless bitterness. Apple sweetness lingers through the finish.

M: Light body is syrupy and has too much fizz.

D: I almost didn't finish this beer. But I paid for it, so I choked it down rather than pouring down the drain. Is it really that hard to make a decent gluten free beer?

07-16-2008 17:44:30 | More by Rayek
ibashmuck

1.63/5  rDev -40.1%

Purchased as part of "build-your-own-six-pack" at local grocer. Small head on a light yellow body. Little sweet tinge in the smell, which also is evident in the early taste. Unfortunately, it also features a wicked nasty aftertaste, which ruins everything else. Not too good.

07-12-2008 05:08:55 | More by ibashmuck
wheatyweiss

3.23/5  rDev +18.8%

Pours a pale straw with a quickly receding head that leaves no lace. Light cloud with lively carbonation bubbles.

Aroma is phenolic and sweet seems very bland with the exception of the phenolic band aid, medicinal aroma.

Taste is fruity and sweet. The phenols come through strong on the flavor, it's not terrible though strangely. There is an almost cloying sweetness that rides on a sourness that I'm guessing is the yeast strain. Finishes with a dry, metallic twang. There is of course a molasses flavor there, which is intriguing as after looking at the beer, a molasses flavor is the last you would think to get. the cereal grain flavors don't make themselves prominent here.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp with a dry feeling on the tongue that belies the sweet flavor.

Different and not terrible, for someone who can't have gluten, it would be a good representation of wheat brewed beer.

07-11-2008 22:24:56 | More by wheatyweiss
hwwty4

Missouri

2.83/5  rDev +4%

Poured a 12oz bottle into my Smokestack goblet. This beer pours a pale straw yellow with a big fizzy head that fades into a rim around the outside of the glass. There really is no aroma. It smells mostly like water with a hint of candy sugar. The taste is sweet, and lemony. Not a whole lot else. The mouthfeel is light and crisp. Not as good as some Gluten free beers but better then several. As a husband of a Gluten intolerant wife, I'm always glad to see breweries experimenting with the style.

06-19-2008 20:37:06 | More by hwwty4
toolbrew

2.03/5  rDev -25.4%

Pours a clear golden color with a very small head that fell quickly. Some carbonation.

Smells very grassy.

Dry grassy weird taste. Tastes like there's something in it that shouldn't be.

Hits the back of my mouth immediately with a bitter sting which isn't bad. Leaves that same odd taste in my mouth.

Was curious about this so I picked up the bottle. Wouldn't seek this one out again.

05-29-2008 22:31:02 | More by toolbrew
barleywinefiend

Washington

2.03/5  rDev -25.4%

Poured a nasty yellow color with very little head. Nose was weak, little aroma to be found. What little aroma there is might be described as grape like. Taste is really funky. Almost has a wine like quality, but the aftertaste is particularly unappealing. Another bad beer from Lakefront.

05-08-2008 00:51:59 | More by barleywinefiend
matty

I honestly do not know how to review this beer.It has the the color of a macro the scent of apple juice and the taste of wine.After the initial hit of apple on your tongue there is nothing more..no aftertaste just nothing.Although it's not terrible I doubt I will ever buy again!!

04-22-2008 06:01:06 | More by matty
alexskovan

3.4/5  rDev +25%

Poured a pale gold with a fizzy head that dropped quickly, looks like an American macro lager, and so my expectations were very low, which may accout for the relatively high score I'm giving this brew because. . . I found it interesting.

Smell is a sharp unexpected acidic twang, reminiscent of some light Belgian ales I've had. Taste is similar to aroma, very simple, a crisp cider-like attack in the mouth, followed by a dry finish.

It's unusual. Not overly complex, and it might get boring rather quickly (I only had the one bottle) but I found it unusual and worth a try.

04-10-2008 22:38:19 | More by alexskovan
dnichols

Washington

2.53/5  rDev -7%

I received a bottle of this from a friend living in Iowa. I poured the capped 12 ounce bottle into a chalice.

A: It poured a nearly clear light golden body with a hint of amber hue and a slight off white head that was barely there before receding to a ring around the collar.

S: It had a moderate to pronounced sweet fruit flavor but it was hard to find.

T: It attacked my tongue with a fruity flavor that reminded me of pears and Macintosh apples sprinkled with cinnamon. It was very floral that reminded me of perfume or a bouquet of flowers. The alcohol was well hidden and it was lightly carbonated.

M: It was light bodied with an odd sweet and sour aftertaste.

D: It was an interesting brew that should be experienced once. Absolutely not a session brew...possibly a decent accompaniment to a dinner.

04-03-2008 03:55:54 | More by dnichols
liquoricefish

2.8/5  rDev +2.9%

Interesting to say the least.

Kind of has the Christmas spice smell to it. I detect apples, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, or some kind of combination of those.

Taste is kind of bitey at first, with a smoother yet lingering finish. The flavor is interesting, take that as you will. I can definitely taste the rice, and I'm guessing the strange semi-sweetness is the sorghum. The mouthfeel is kind of watery, and it feels more like apple juice than beer (probably due to the lack of wheat). I could enjoy this once in a while, but I did buy a six pack and it took a long time for them to disappear.

Overall this is a decent beer if you're in the mood for a kind of different strange apple-cider kind of taste. But I really can't drink more than two without getting absolutely sick of them.

03-23-2008 22:40:38 | More by liquoricefish
budsboy

2.17/5  rDev -20.2%

Pale yellow, clear, with a rocky white head.

Smell is vinous -- grapes and alcohol -- champaign comes to mind.

Fruity, nearly all grape and peach, astringent with a cardboard like aftertaste. Yowzer.

Light-bodied and highly carbonated -- again with the champaign.

I didn't finish this one, just drank enough to review. Given the style, I went in expecting different, and this beer delivered. Maybe champaign drinkers will like it. Not my cup of beer.

03-16-2008 11:22:45 | More by budsboy
BoitSansSoif

France

1.88/5  rDev -30.9%

A-Poured a color that reminded me to drink more water. It's pale gold, and the head was like a can of 7-up...thin, highly active for about 5 seconds, then just a few bubbles coming up.

S-Getting some esters and medicinal traces that compete for attention, a faint, faint bit of tropical fruit and heavier apple, light grains. It's in a narrow bandwidth of bouquets where you linger between something that could be the edge of greatness, or nasty funk...only tasting will tell.

T-The taste continues the journey, but not in the direction I had hoped. I feel like I'm sucking on a juicy band-aid that is competing with the apple flavors. This is the worst-tasting beer I've had in a while, and the first I won't finish in a long time...only got about 1/3 through before giving up.

M-Mouthfeel is okay, but I can't overlook the flavor. Body is a bit thicker than what I was expecting, but it's still really light. Carbonation is good.

D-A disappointment. My friends have recommended a tour of this brewery in Milwaukee come summer, and I'll be there, but I'll stay away from this one. This is my first brew of this variety, and I felt inclined to try it since I'm new to this whole gig, and sorghum sounded different.

03-08-2008 08:51:03 | More by BoitSansSoif
mikesgroove

South Carolina

2.7/5  rDev -0.7%

12oz bottle served right out of the fridge and poured into a pint glass

A - Poured a very light and very bright pale golden yellow, essentially a straw colored liquid, but almost lighter then that yet, like pale hay. Lots of fizzy soda like carbonation streaming up toward the top from the bottom of the glass, so much so that it seemed like an upside down waterfall at times. A nice two finger high head of fizzy white foam was across the top and this quickly faded and left behind essentially nothing but a thin layer across the top that was constantly refreshed by all of this carbonation. To be honest this looked exactly like a macro, and this was not making me happy in the slightest.

S - The aroma was very very light, almost non existent which was really letting me down, but after a few minutes it did pick up a little bit and start to give off a few hints of what the actually profile might be like. Some light aromas of you guessed it straw or wheat coming off of here, as well as some light hints at rice or light earthy cereal grains. But everything was just very light and really non descript. I searched over and over for the slightest little bit of hoppiness and thought I picked up a little citrus, but I may have just been imagining it. Pretty much a carbon copy of a boring dull macro lager.

T - Wow, not quite going in the right direction here, as I took the first taste and noticed this was going to come off as nothing more then a bit of a dull tasting fizzy mess, a gluten free macro beer so to speak. The main player in this one was a straw tasting rice like taste that was both very light in profile, and even equally as bland tasting. This was really as in depth as the flavor was able to get, there was some very light banana like fruity, maybe leaked into this , but other than that the profile was just too light to really make any use of. The finish was very quick and light with really no lingering flavor to it. Refreshing, I will give it that, but not really tasty in anyway. There was a touch of something grass like in the finish, but it too was way too light and really did not do much of anything to help.

M - A super light bodied ale with extremely large amounts of carbonation made this one of the lightest beers I have had in recent memory. It was very crisp and clean, with a very nice refreshing quality, and I have to give it high marks in this category, as there was really and truly nothing wrong with the way this one felt.

D - An outstanding beer to go out and cut the lawn on a hot day. It was very refreshing with very low ABV and a nice crisp consistency. However it was soo light you could actually use it as a water substitute. I literally put this one down in a matter of minutes, just so I could go for something a bit bigger. Almost too drinkable if there is such a thing.

Overall I was really not impressed with this one. Being a Gluten Free beer I was not really sure what to expect going in, but I did not think it was going to be good. I did not expect it was going to be like a macro basically. And it was, pretty much a macro without all the normal ingredients. I would not recommend this one, nor will I be going back to it anytime soon.

02-04-2008 11:19:39 | More by mikesgroove
Cyberkedi

Georgia

2.35/5  rDev -13.6%

Pours a cloudy straw yellow with not much head. Aroma is fairly strong, somewhat malty and fruity with just a hint of hops. Flavor is crisp and pleasant, but rather weak - mainly fruity, more like a cider than a beer. It feels watery and thin, but at least it is drinkable. I've had plenty worse.

12-26-2007 02:40:55 | More by Cyberkedi
New Grist Sorghum Beer from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.