New Grist Sorghum Beer - Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

New Grist Sorghum BeerNew Grist Sorghum Beer

poor

Lakefront Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.75% ABV

(Beer added by: mentor on 10-13-2005)
2.95/5  rDev +8.5%

New Grist is a very light gold color. It's very clear. No haze at all. It's topped with a foamy white head that's fortunate if it reaches a finger in depth. It was extremely quick to dissipate, leaving very light lacing behind. Very average.

Alright, I'll 'fess up. I have no idea what Sorghum is. The interwebz tells me that it's a safe grain for wheat allergy sufferers. Interesting. Apparently New Grist is brewed with no wheat or barley. Interesting. Let's see how it turns out.

The nose is weak and very uninspiring. It primarily smells sweet and yeasty. It's interesting in that it doesn't have a grainy smell that one would expect. I suppose that's the impact of using Sorghum instead. The more I stick with it, the more a weird, kind of funky smell. Perhaps that's the Sorghum. It's not reminiscent of anything I've smelled before, so forgive the absence of a comparison. Overall, it's anemic and below average.

The flavor profile is a little better. Enough to warrant a score bump. Nonetheless, it's average at best. It's sweet and features some light fruit flavors (apple and pear) initially. There's a distince earthy quality to it, but it's far from exciting. Sorghum doesn't add any appreciable quality to it (good, bad, or otherwise) as far as I can tell. Floral hops give it a slight buzzy effect toward the finish. More would be better. Finishes sweet. Pretty average all around.

New Grist has a light body and crisp carbonation. It's not smooth, but goes down pretty easy. Drinkability is average despite the label claim of being a "session beer." The flavor's just not quite deep or entertaining enough to be enjoyable. I'm ready to move on.

New Grist is a weird beer that's not very good. I thought it might be interesting and it is...a little. I'm intrigued by the Sorghum aspect of it. I understand the laudable goal of creating a gluten-free beer, but New Grist misses a grand opportunity to succeed. It simply lacks the ingredients. A little more malt and hops would be a nice place to start fixing it. I mean...you've come this far to create something novel for a select group of people. Why not put a little extra work into it and make it a better beer?

prototypic, Apr 21, 2009
2.48/5  rDev -8.8%

This is a somewhat unusual-tasting beer, sweet, thin, and one-dimensional.

Deep gold, it has a smallish white head steadily shrinking to a thin wispy top and a foamy ring.

The aroma is rice, hint of mineral water and iron, hitn of old apples and grass. Overall, the smell is somewhat like a really basic pale lager but slightly different.

The taste is a bit unusual, mostly sweet leaves/grass with apple sauce and light hints of candy and grain. It's not really bad but it's thin in taste and feel, slightly off-putting, and almost characterless.

Offa, Apr 09, 2009
1.5/5  rDev -44.9%

[Appearance]: Dark golden yellow.

[Smell]: Smells like a bad vodka, horrendous.

[Foretaste]: Nothing but carbonation.

[Midflavor]: Sour wheat.

[Aftertaste]: Super citrusy, lemons galore.

[Overall Flavor]: Horrible, made me sick.

[Mouthfeel]: Watery and high carbonation.

[Drinkability]: Never again will I buy this beer.

personal recomendation: dont buy this. unless your an alchy with a gluten alergy.

brfbeerdrinker, Apr 06, 2009
2.2/5  rDev -19.1%

light yellow color, half finger head that dissipated quickly. taste and smells sour and sweet, pick up a lot apple in this almost a green apple cider, but not even close to as good....as this beer warms it taste like thera-flu cold medicine. one of the 2 worst beers i have ever had.

webbcreative, Feb 11, 2009
2.53/5  rDev -7%

Appearance - pours a frothy straw/gold with an impressively resilient finger of white foam. It's lengthy hold allows for some thick lacing, like spray-on snow. The bead is high caliber, throwing a steady stream of bubbles upward.

Aroma - a slight apple-sweet grain smell, maybe even a slight funk, but not much more.

Taste - hmmm, never had a beer like this. An initial mild sourness, tart apple. What follows is a syrup-like flavor without the thick body. The aftertaste has me thinking of talcum powder. The finish is about the same. I don't really care for the taste, but its not overly unpleasant. Just a bit...

Mouthfeel - crisp, fairly light body, on par for a session beer but doesn't do much for this one.

Drinkability - not for me; glad I only bought one.

brewdlyhooked13, Feb 03, 2009
2.03/5  rDev -25.4%

Pours a lackluster gold with amber highlights(it's a stretch to call them highlights),the head is off white and thin with absolutely no lacing. I do believe that I have smelled bottled water with more aroma than this,thin apple is all I really pick up. A sourish flavor profile is hard to get past and really is the backbone of this maltless creation. Cider vinegar and underlying green apple are the most predominant flavors. This isn't offensive to me, but I see how it could be to some. A thin,watery, overly carbonated body doesn't help New Grist in any way shape or form. Give this a try if your in the mood for something different, just keep your expectations low. Really not worth the trouble.

orangemoustache, Jan 12, 2009
2.05/5  rDev -24.6%

12oz bottle into pint glass.

Crystal clear pale yellow with a thin light white fizzy head that settles to a thin rim.

Very light fruity aromas from the rice.

A hard flavor to describe: somewhat metallic and tart, fruit-like. Very clean. Light bodied with high carbonation.

Not much to talk about in this one. Each sip is more difficult than the last. Maybe there are some that would like this, but not me.

BeerSox, Jan 10, 2009
3.48/5  rDev +27.9%

Interesting.

A= golden yellow, small head

S= mild sorghum scent

T= reminded us of a sort of vanilla root-beer and yet it actually did drink like a light golden lager in most ways. Slightly sweet, went down smoothly.

M= clean with almost a light candy-drop hint on the tongue for a while

D= very drinkable

therica, Dec 23, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +37.9%

A- poured a light golden color, slightly darker than your standard BMC. light white head built up then fell down quickly.

S- some tinny characteristic. not really any hops or malt.

T- A slightly sorghum sweetness at the start, but then quickly fades into a fading malt character that is balanced with hops on the bitterness scale, but otherwise doesnt really register.

M- highly carbonated. light body,

D- its ok, ide be grateful if i had Celiacs, however this isnt gonna be a regular one for me.

A pretty solid BMC replacement for those in need.

Atron67, Dec 08, 2008
2.85/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Okay this beer is rather intresting. The smell is sweet, floral molasses and yeast. The color is really light. The taste is like honey nut cheerios. with hops. Not a very good combination. The finish is what did it for me. I was long and not very good.

colts9016, Dec 08, 2008
2.8/5  rDev +2.9%

Appearance: Plain, boring, clear applejuice color, slight carbonation. No head nor lacing.
Smell: sweet, light malts, smells like red apples...
Taste: Similar to applejuice as well... Crisp, refreshing, but lacking in the flavor department...
Mouthfeel: Loose, watered-down...
Easily drinkable, but I doubt I'll finish this twelve-ounce bottle...
Pass...

dsa7783, Oct 17, 2008

Went out on a limb and tried this one as I haven't had a sorghum based beer before. One of the big selling points is that this is 'gluten-free'. I'm not even sure what gluten is but many people consume it and live long so I'm not concerned. As a beer in general, it's really just average, maybe slightly below. Very bland in taste and appearance, not much for flavor. I guess if you don't want any glutens in your diet it's good to get, but as a regular beer drinker look elsewhere.

oriolesfan4, Sep 29, 2008
3.53/5  rDev +29.8%

It poured a pale golden color with high levels of carbonation and a one finger head that quickly shrank back to a lite lacing.

It had a mixed smell rice and fresh cut grass. It is hard for me to define. It didn't smell typical to me.

I could almost taste the rice, but it was not clearly defined in the flavor. The grassy sorghum flavor dominated the taste. It had a lite non-watery body. It left an odd almost chalky aftertaste.

It tasted good but not really my glass of beer. I feel that Lakefront did a good job of representing this style of beer, but I just could not drink this regularly.

Rennpferd, Sep 29, 2008
2.68/5  rDev -1.5%

12-ounce bottle poured into a shaker pint glass yields an extremely fizzy yellow body with a torrent of active bubbling that maintains a thin fizzy head that sizzles throughout the drink.Scraps of lacing remain on the glass.

The smell of the drink is sourish and tangy with a bit of spiced apple cider.

The taste is husky and bran cereal-like, with a bit of tartness that fades into a flavor something akin to soggy Raisin Bran, macerated in Michelob Ultra, sans raisins.

The feel of the drink is fine and all the carbonation seen through the glass helps crispen the brew and keep it light. Easily drinkable.

cvstrickland, Aug 29, 2008
2.8/5  rDev +2.9%

A - Poured out a clear yellow hue with a good deal of carbonation and a very small, white fizzy head. No lace.

S - It smelled of sweet and citrusy, but there was also a subtle aroma of vinegar.

T - It tasted a little sour at first sip. Then it reminded me of an apple cider like Hornsby's but not as good.

M - It was crisp and relatively sharp. A light bodied beer.

D - There is a subtle vinegar aftertaste otherwise it is okay. If you had to drink this for medical reasons it could work.

zeff80, Aug 14, 2008
3.45/5  rDev +26.8%

First off, this bottle has been cellering since June of 2006. Got this at Heritage in St. Paul.

Poured a 12 oz brown bottle into a tulip. Head was white, 2 finger cola like. Fizzed and hissed like a cola and quickly vanished leaving no retention or lace.

Isnt much to say for smell here, I cant smell anything really. I had to take some and dab it in my nostrils to get that rice beer scent, some sweet maltyness and thats it.

Taste is crisp, sweet, bready in a very light way. At the swallow a zing of carbonation and crached pappercorn with a hint of grassy hops, a very small hint at that.
Some spice like flavors mingle through the middle and into the finish.
Watery, thin and thats all I can really add.

Not my favorite beer, but good for its style. More flavor then budweiser. Happy I got a chance to drink a 2 year old bottle as well.
Drinkable, good lawnmower brew.

Buebie, Jul 28, 2008
1.35/5  rDev -50.4%

While I applaud Lakefront Brewery for trying something experimental, I have to say that this beer is really not good. The smell is barely there but sweet. The flavor is also very sweet, yet strikes me as a cross between flowers and poison... with sugar on top. The taste lingers... oh please stop lingering! I checked the bottle twice for a born on date, as I swore to God that this beered HAD to be spoiled or defective in some way. I bought a six pack out of curiosity and I have to say that this may be the first six pack I ever pour down the drain. Seriously... you can just skip this one all together.

jrlhotka, Jul 26, 2008
1.55/5  rDev -43%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

Easily the worst of the sorghum based beers I've tried.

A: Pale gold color has nice clarity and active carbonation. Even the most vigorous pour didn't net much head. What little head did form was gone in an instant. Left no lace.

S: Very sweet. White sugar, apples, oranges, plus a mild whiff of grass in the background.

T: Tastes like a strange combination of sake and hard cider. Extremely sweet flavor has a strong apple presence, plus a little sweet rice. Hops are almost nonexistent. They add only a tiny amount of flavorless bitterness. Apple sweetness lingers through the finish.

M: Light body is syrupy and has too much fizz.

D: I almost didn't finish this beer. But I paid for it, so I choked it down rather than pouring down the drain. Is it really that hard to make a decent gluten free beer?

Rayek, Jul 16, 2008
1.63/5  rDev -40.1%

Purchased as part of "build-your-own-six-pack" at local grocer. Small head on a light yellow body. Little sweet tinge in the smell, which also is evident in the early taste. Unfortunately, it also features a wicked nasty aftertaste, which ruins everything else. Not too good.

ibashmuck, Jul 12, 2008
3.23/5  rDev +18.8%

Pours a pale straw with a quickly receding head that leaves no lace. Light cloud with lively carbonation bubbles.

Aroma is phenolic and sweet seems very bland with the exception of the phenolic band aid, medicinal aroma.

Taste is fruity and sweet. The phenols come through strong on the flavor, it's not terrible though strangely. There is an almost cloying sweetness that rides on a sourness that I'm guessing is the yeast strain. Finishes with a dry, metallic twang. There is of course a molasses flavor there, which is intriguing as after looking at the beer, a molasses flavor is the last you would think to get. the cereal grain flavors don't make themselves prominent here.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp with a dry feeling on the tongue that belies the sweet flavor.

Different and not terrible, for someone who can't have gluten, it would be a good representation of wheat brewed beer.

wheatyweiss, Jul 11, 2008
2.83/5  rDev +4%

Poured a 12oz bottle into my Smokestack goblet. This beer pours a pale straw yellow with a big fizzy head that fades into a rim around the outside of the glass. There really is no aroma. It smells mostly like water with a hint of candy sugar. The taste is sweet, and lemony. Not a whole lot else. The mouthfeel is light and crisp. Not as good as some Gluten free beers but better then several. As a husband of a Gluten intolerant wife, I'm always glad to see breweries experimenting with the style.

hwwty4, Jun 19, 2008
2.03/5  rDev -25.4%

Pours a clear golden color with a very small head that fell quickly. Some carbonation.

Smells very grassy.

Dry grassy weird taste. Tastes like there's something in it that shouldn't be.

Hits the back of my mouth immediately with a bitter sting which isn't bad. Leaves that same odd taste in my mouth.

Was curious about this so I picked up the bottle. Wouldn't seek this one out again.

toolbrew, May 29, 2008
2.03/5  rDev -25.4%

Poured a nasty yellow color with very little head. Nose was weak, little aroma to be found. What little aroma there is might be described as grape like. Taste is really funky. Almost has a wine like quality, but the aftertaste is particularly unappealing. Another bad beer from Lakefront.

barleywinefiend, May 08, 2008

I honestly do not know how to review this beer.It has the the color of a macro the scent of apple juice and the taste of wine.After the initial hit of apple on your tongue there is nothing more..no aftertaste just nothing.Although it's not terrible I doubt I will ever buy again!!

matty, Apr 22, 2008
3.4/5  rDev +25%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured a pale gold with a fizzy head that dropped quickly, looks like an American macro lager, and so my expectations were very low, which may accout for the relatively high score I'm giving this brew because. . . I found it interesting.

Smell is a sharp unexpected acidic twang, reminiscent of some light Belgian ales I've had. Taste is similar to aroma, very simple, a crisp cider-like attack in the mouth, followed by a dry finish.

It's unusual. Not overly complex, and it might get boring rather quickly (I only had the one bottle) but I found it unusual and worth a try.

alexskovan, Apr 10, 2008
New Grist Sorghum Beer from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.