New Grist Gluten-Free Pilsner Style Beer - Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

New Grist Gluten-Free Pilsner Style BeerNew Grist Gluten-Free Pilsner Style Beer

Lakefront Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.75% ABV

Beer added by: mentor on 10-13-2005

2.08/5  rDev -23.8%

Poured this ale from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Poured a very clear yellow color, produced a small white head, poor retention and poor lacing left on the glass. The aroma consisted of some malted grain and apple juice. Light in body, very thin and watery there is some flavor of rice and apple cider. Not very impressed with the "gluten free" beers-

2.95/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a standard pint. Figured I'd try this just to see.

Appearance: Looks like apple cider.

Smell: Smells like apple cider.

Taste: Well, it tastes like some low end adjuncts I've had minus the skunk. To that end, it would be great for a college keg beer. It's got a weird chemical aftertaste though, and it's pretty sweet. Super crisp though. Doesn't really taste much like beer.

Mouthfeel: Italian mineral water.

On taste, this isn't bad and I could see myself drinking it during the summer in place of actual beer if it was super cheap and I wanted to get blasted without any effort. Doubt it's cheap though, I got a single and never caught the mass price. Interesting drink, but I'll probably never have it again. Glad its there for those who would drink it.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Reviewed live. Expectations are low.

A- Almost no head, quick erosion. Very little linger. Slight soapy lacing. Pale golden color with crystal clarity.

S- Spicy, soapy, grassy. The things you don't want in a beer.

T- Light and somewhat spicy.

M- Watery with some syrupy feel at the end.

O- Not unbearable, but certainly not good.

3.74/5  rDev +37%

Appearance: Poured into glass with little head. Straw yellow color, looks like bud light.

Smell: I've been outside in the cold and can't smell a thing right now. Whatever aroma it has mustn't be very strong.

Taste: If you told me I was drinking carbonated apple juice I would've believed you. It has a unique flavor like apple but slightly different. It is thin, sweet with no hint of hops. The alcohol is well hidden and sneaks up on you by the end of the glass. Can't detect any major faults.

Overall: Not my first choice, but this beer grew on me. It's not a flavorful stout or IPA, but it's not supposed to be. Easily drinkable. First gluten free beer I've ever tried but not bad.

2.52/5  rDev -7.7%

Appearance: This ain't half-bad. There is absolutely zero foam and almost zero lacing. New Grist is also very, very pale, almost clear. But there is something about the carbonation that I like.

Smell: There's something dry that I can't quite pinpoint. Apple? Biscuit? Cookie? Whatever it is, it's pretty decent. Definitely a good whiff of booze as well.

Taste/Mouthfeel: This tastes like Sprite mixed with Bud Light. That's actually the best way I can describe it. Ditto on the mouthfeel.

Overall Drinkability: I was interested to try a sorghum beer. I know that's popular in places like Africa and parts of Asia I think. I'm sure there are good examples, but this one doesn't work.

2.53/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

For starters, we should not be rating gluten free beers on here because they are not "beers" Reading some of the reviews on here I can clearly see that people are holding these beers at the same level as malt based beers. But because Beer Advocate allows it...heck here we go with an open mind.

A: Pours a light straw colour (very light) Looks like the rice wine I make. Head is thin but there is some nice lacing around the glace.

S: Has a crisp apple smell to it. No hop smells that I can find.

T: Again, crisp apples, roasted rice, bitterness is very low.

M: Highly carbonated, a bit thin.

O: If I were to make a beer that does not have any flavours that resembles malts, or crystal/caramel malts I would try to use a yeast and hops that would give it more character. But this is not the case here. Flavour is lacking, bitterness is none existent and hop flavour/smell is not present.

2.72/5  rDev -0.4%

Poured into standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear, light yellow with one finger of rocky white head after a firm pour, which dissipates quickly. Minimal lacing.

Smell: Mild fruity aroma, with a hint of alcohol.

Taste: A sweet mild maltiness, with a hint of rice. It is incredibly sweet and drinkable.

Mouthfeel: Light body, strong carbonation.

Overall: An acceptable gluten-free beer. However, I feel there are better options such as St. Peters Sorgham or Estrella Daura.

1.74/5  rDev -36.3%

I've been making the rounds on gluten free beers, due to a recent gastrointestinal development. Overall, I've found the market to be a little lacking, and New Grist is definitely part of that "lacking." It's always good to have gluten-free options, but it would be better to have good gluten-free options.

Appearance - drinking it in a bottle, can't see

Smell - Fruity, sherry-like smell to it.

Taste - The best description I can come up with is a malty fruit beer. The mouthfeel (described below) masks most of the flavor. Tip: the taste does improve after aging in the fridge for a couple of months. Maybe it wouldn't hurt for Lakefront to let the beer age longer before release.

Mouthfeel - Too carbonated. It feels like drinking dishwater, or a glass of Korbel champagne. The foam masks most of the taste. This is probably the least desirable part of the beer.

Overall - Pass. If you need a gluten-free option, try a hard cider or Redbridge.

1.89/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Pale yellow, little carbonation, no head, no lacing.

Smell: Mild, mild sweet malt.

Taste: Rice with sugar, mixed sweet candy ground to a powder and sprinkled in water. It reminds me of this grape-like thing to make wine called something like muskeydines.

They otta be ashamed to call this beer even if fruit is associated with it. I'm tempted to remove this review so nobody knows I was stupid enough to drink this.

4.06/5  rDev +48.7%

Best glutton-free beer I have every experienced. The taste was different at first. However, as I continued, the taste became better. When I stood from my chair, I felt a slight buzz. The high alcohol content (5.75%) was a bonus. My wife is glutton intolerant. This is a beer I could enjoy with her.

3.08/5  rDev +12.8%

Reviewed from session notes.

Poured out a clear and transparent pale yellow with a single finger of short-lived foam and no real lacing. Smells (and tastes) mostly of floral hopping tones over a sort of fresh-sliced apple character that gains a tiny sake garnish once warmed up. Sort of thin and watery body, but carbonation is nice and crisp.

4.13/5  rDev +51.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a Lakefront imperial pint.
Bottled during Apr. Wk3. (2012) notched on label.

A - Heavily carbonated and overly effervescent, New Grist pours out a very pale yellow straw color that's crystal clear. A fizzy, loose head pops up quickly and descends slowly, vaporizing into extremely loose, cob-web looking lace coating the whole glass in delicate, wispy lacing.

S - A hint of cooked rice smell comes across the front, but New Grist mainly consists of a grainy pale malt, straw aroma even though there's no malt in this beer. A moderate helping of yeastiness appears with a light kiss of hops. For a beer made without malt, it's certainly not bad at all.

T - New Grist has an interesting flavor profile that's very light. Sweet, light corn with a touch of rice and lots of straw huskiness. No hops on the flavor and very little yeast shine through making it a very simple, easy drinking beer.

M - Heavily carbonated, the bubbles dance on the tongue like champagne. Crisp and refreshing, New Grist is very light-bodied with a smooth finish and light lingering sweetness that begs for another sip.

O - Put this in a blind taste against Miller or Bud's light beers, and this will win hands down. Lakefront astonishes me with their ability to get as close to "beer" flavor while staying gluten free. "A crisp and refreshing session beer" they call it. I couldn't have put it better myself.

If you're a person with Celiac Disease, unable to drink regular beer, fret-not, New Grist tastes just like, if not better than, the typical "big dogs" and will tide you over wonderfully.

Had this on 2012-05-23 in Columbia, PA

A - Clear pale yellow with a 3/4-finger head that fades quickly and leaves little lacing.

S - Sweet apple cider and pale malt. Pleasant but not "beer-like"

T - More of the apple cider and light grain taste with a bit of spice and a lightly tart finish. It's a pleasant taste.

M - Light body and light-medium carbonation. Pretty crisp and refreshing

O - Pretty decent for what it is. Reminded me more of a well-made, not-too-sweet wine cooler than a beer.

2.65/5  rDev -2.9%

Appearance - This is a nice, clear yellow in color with rising carbonation and a decent, pure white head.

Smell - There is an attractive green apple aroma here along with some grain-like character and a light spicing like white pepper and coriander.

Taste - The taste falls a little short of the smell. The apple becomes a little too tart but otherwise this is a decent beer.

Mouthfeel - The carbonation is light and lively but feels somewhat cheap.

Drinkability - This is passable for a decent gluten-free alternative to beer.

2.75/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured a half finger poorly retained head with little lace, on a pee yellow body - blah

Scent is lemon pledge

Taste is skunky pledge

Mouth is light, not as sweet as the scent would suggest, dry with the alleged alcohol supremely hidden, very drinkable though. Way too carbonated.

Overall, glad I bought just a single, very forgettable and I will not be living a gluten free life style anytime soon.

skunky lemon,

2.55/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle served in a conical pint glass

A - Clear light lemon with 1 finger white head with poor retention and minimal lacing.

S - An earthy sour green apple aroma. Light pungency.

T - A fruity forward sourish taste with a bit of rice sweetness and lacks much bitterness. A hint of alcohol in taste.

M - Lightest of body, moderate carbonation, pretty watery finish.

O - Not the worst light beer in the world, kind of a weird funky flavor. Sorghum probably not the safest grain to work with for beer.

4.25/5  rDev +55.7%

For anyone with a gluten allergy, this is by far the best beer!!!

A million times better than red bridge, which sucks terribly. That beer tastes like something is wrong with it.

Dora is okay but insanely expensive by comparison.

This is good for the price. Not as sweet as the rest of the reviews suggest.

2.7/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

My first gluten free beer...

A - Pours a very pale golden colour, thin layer of head which quickly dissipates and leaves no trace of lacing.

S - Insanely mild, barely detectable with some leafy greens, sour grapes and white wine.

T - Sweet apples, a cider-ish type flavour, some sweet corn notes, leafy greens and the white wine comes through again.

M - Lighter bodied and reminiscent of a champagne, surprisingly smooth given the carbonation and finished wet.

O - I wasn't too sure what to expect, but I'm certainly glad that I'm able to drink beers which have gluten. Not too sure how this compares to other gluten free beers, but I would hate this to be one of the few options available to me if I had to avoid gluten.

Sorghum is a staple grain in warmer climates. It's easier to grow then corn, and packed with circumstantial, much needed nutrition. Africa is known for producing light, crisp beer. Anytime you see 'sorghum with rice', think about those adjuncts, and review to style.

"New Grist" pours like water; little retention, hydrated pee like coloration. Bah, pee suggests it's bad, which it isn't. It's hard to believe there's any booze here at all, if it wasn't for the label. Lemon/lime flavor, with a little bite of sour bitterness cloying the nose."New Grist" calls itself a session beer, which I'll vouch for on a toasty summer Milwaukee evening.

2.58/5  rDev -5.5%

A - My god I think this is water! The clearest yellow you can think of on top of that diluted with... water! Carbonation is even lacing since I only got a slight layer of head that rises a glimpse of foam to mild bit of bubbles.

S - Smells like beer, mostly lemon water smell with some malt. Smells like a hefeweizen without the yeast. Kind of blah.

T - Not offensive but it pretty much taste like lemon water to me! No real malt flavors or even any trace of hops (gluten free means none right?) If anything I guess it hides the ABV well...

M - Never gave a beer a 2 but this is the lightest mouthfeel I ever had in a beer, but I mean whats the mouthfeel on lemon water.

Overall I don't think I will be wasting any more money on this brewery.

3.06/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is my first gluten-free beer. Overall, I can say it was unoffensive, and slightly... well, almost,... maybe, uh...
Let's say it nearly gave a glimpse of something interesting.

A=Crystal clear and the palest liquid ever to venture into territory on the beerside of water. Although lightly carbonated, this beer didn't form a head.

S=There is a bit of cideriness to the smell, reminicent of the hint of acetaldehyde aroma found in a popular beechwood aged product. Beyond that, I get nothing.

T=Flavor is almost nonexistent, this lacked even the maltiness of the lightest lager. However, there is a bit of residual sweetness, which is not unpleasant. There is a very slight tartness that works with the sweetness and is sort of refreshing, or maybe it seems that way because it is sort of like water?

M=Perhaps I'm being generous for a beer that is at best comparable to an American light lager, but I prefer this one's mouth feel to that because it isn't highly carbonated. There is almost no acid burn with this making it more sessionable, more drinkable, if you will, than America's favorite beer.

Overall=Again, perhaps this is generous, but if I had Celiac's, I would be really grateful for this product. I hope more come along in this genre that expand upon complexity of taste and aroma.

2.59/5  rDev -5.1%

The last time I had a gluten free beer, was when I was at Deschutes pub in Portland. I love that brewery to death, and the gluten free beer I had from them was very memorable. That is because it was the only beer I absolutely did not enjoy. SO, how does this one stack up? Poured into a nonic pint glass.

Holy cow on appearance. This is official, this is the LIGHTEST colored beer I have ever witnessed. Out of the bottle I thought I was pouring water with an edge of faint lemon. Body color hits with a ridiculous hay straw body, so incredibly pale and clear. Head forms shocking white, barley manages a finger, very soapy, and then falls with a pock marked puck, and faint collar. Carbonation rises excessively throughout. Regardless of what it doesn't contain this beer looks nasty.

Nose is a very noticeable green apple skin. Clean smelling, weak, wet sense coming. Hints of minor diacetyl. I am sort of stunned here if not complete scared. Strangely not off putting, but just bizarre.

Taste brings the apple front strong to the palate. Crisp action on an extremely WET body. Afterfinish leaves lots of fruit canned cocktail action. This is very interesting on the palate but it comes off as some beer hybrid. Fruity forward tremendously, VERY large on this angle. As mentioned very wet body, but not very fizzy though.

This beer comes off across as some sort of weak apple juice on the nose, but I giant watery fruit cocktail palate. I've never had anything like this EVER. It strangely grows on me. Sessionable at 5.75?? I don't think so. I would drink this over some mass produced industrial lager, but there's so much better out there. As for gluten free beer? Strike two so far, I hope others have a more interesting taste profile than this.

3.25/5  rDev +19%

Seriously pours as light in color as champagne, like J Roget champagne. Alot of bubbling high carbonation level, the head forms bright white and dwindles pretty quickly. Aroma has a sweet semi cider like tartness about it, that has a sliced red apple smell about it. Taste isn't beer like at all, maybe like sake light or something. Sweet wine like tart white grapes or sliced red apple juicy qualities, very palatable just doesn't taste like beer without the malt. This is for those poor folks with the gluten allergy who follow the celiac diet, actually I'd prefer this over Red Bridge. Mouthfeel is super light carbonation is a bit effervescent and the finish is dry and even wine like but quite enjoyable. Drinkability overall not bad easiest drinking gluten free beer I've tasted thus far with interesting flavor combinations.

1.67/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Poured into a perfect pint.

3.5 A: What the fuck?!!?! Is this beer? This is lighter than most of the BMC lineup. Lightly yellow tinted clear. One finger of frothy white head. The retention is actually pretty good and a good bit of lacing is left behind.

1.5 S: Smells like straight up rice. That's about it.

1.5 T: Tastes like nothing, but is sweet at the same time. At first I kinda liked it, but after a few more sips, I discovered that it's actually pretty offensive. This tastes like ginger ale without the ginger.

2.0 M: Light body. A bit overcarbonated. Too sweet (in a strange way) to be smooth.

1.5 D: Yep, this sucks. No reason to buy this other than to tick it and/or lower your average score.

2.97/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a clear, gold color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Slight retention and poor lacing. Smells of grain, sorghum?, hint of hop, and a hint of citrus. Not really a Fruit / Vegetable beer, just using a different grain source. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of grain, sorghum?, and a hint of hop. Overall, I'm not a fan of sorghum beers, and this has not changed my mind.

New Grist Gluten-Free Pilsner Style Beer from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.