New Grist Sorghum Beer - Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

New Grist Sorghum BeerNew Grist Sorghum Beer

poor

Lakefront Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.75% ABV

(Beer added by: mentor on 10-13-2005)
3.45/5  rDev +27.3%

First off, this bottle has been cellering since June of 2006. Got this at Heritage in St. Paul.

Poured a 12 oz brown bottle into a tulip. Head was white, 2 finger cola like. Fizzed and hissed like a cola and quickly vanished leaving no retention or lace.

Isnt much to say for smell here, I cant smell anything really. I had to take some and dab it in my nostrils to get that rice beer scent, some sweet maltyness and thats it.

Taste is crisp, sweet, bready in a very light way. At the swallow a zing of carbonation and crached pappercorn with a hint of grassy hops, a very small hint at that.
Some spice like flavors mingle through the middle and into the finish.
Watery, thin and thats all I can really add.

Not my favorite beer, but good for its style. More flavor then budweiser. Happy I got a chance to drink a 2 year old bottle as well.
Drinkable, good lawnmower brew.

1.35/5  rDev -50.2%

While I applaud Lakefront Brewery for trying something experimental, I have to say that this beer is really not good. The smell is barely there but sweet. The flavor is also very sweet, yet strikes me as a cross between flowers and poison... with sugar on top. The taste lingers... oh please stop lingering! I checked the bottle twice for a born on date, as I swore to God that this beered HAD to be spoiled or defective in some way. I bought a six pack out of curiosity and I have to say that this may be the first six pack I ever pour down the drain. Seriously... you can just skip this one all together.

1.55/5  rDev -42.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

Easily the worst of the sorghum based beers I've tried.

A: Pale gold color has nice clarity and active carbonation. Even the most vigorous pour didn't net much head. What little head did form was gone in an instant. Left no lace.

S: Very sweet. White sugar, apples, oranges, plus a mild whiff of grass in the background.

T: Tastes like a strange combination of sake and hard cider. Extremely sweet flavor has a strong apple presence, plus a little sweet rice. Hops are almost nonexistent. They add only a tiny amount of flavorless bitterness. Apple sweetness lingers through the finish.

M: Light body is syrupy and has too much fizz.

D: I almost didn't finish this beer. But I paid for it, so I choked it down rather than pouring down the drain. Is it really that hard to make a decent gluten free beer?

1.63/5  rDev -39.9%

Purchased as part of "build-your-own-six-pack" at local grocer. Small head on a light yellow body. Little sweet tinge in the smell, which also is evident in the early taste. Unfortunately, it also features a wicked nasty aftertaste, which ruins everything else. Not too good.

3.23/5  rDev +19.2%

Pours a pale straw with a quickly receding head that leaves no lace. Light cloud with lively carbonation bubbles.

Aroma is phenolic and sweet seems very bland with the exception of the phenolic band aid, medicinal aroma.

Taste is fruity and sweet. The phenols come through strong on the flavor, it's not terrible though strangely. There is an almost cloying sweetness that rides on a sourness that I'm guessing is the yeast strain. Finishes with a dry, metallic twang. There is of course a molasses flavor there, which is intriguing as after looking at the beer, a molasses flavor is the last you would think to get. the cereal grain flavors don't make themselves prominent here.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp with a dry feeling on the tongue that belies the sweet flavor.

Different and not terrible, for someone who can't have gluten, it would be a good representation of wheat brewed beer.

2.83/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured a 12oz bottle into my Smokestack goblet. This beer pours a pale straw yellow with a big fizzy head that fades into a rim around the outside of the glass. There really is no aroma. It smells mostly like water with a hint of candy sugar. The taste is sweet, and lemony. Not a whole lot else. The mouthfeel is light and crisp. Not as good as some Gluten free beers but better then several. As a husband of a Gluten intolerant wife, I'm always glad to see breweries experimenting with the style.

2.03/5  rDev -25.1%

Pours a clear golden color with a very small head that fell quickly. Some carbonation.

Smells very grassy.

Dry grassy weird taste. Tastes like there's something in it that shouldn't be.

Hits the back of my mouth immediately with a bitter sting which isn't bad. Leaves that same odd taste in my mouth.

Was curious about this so I picked up the bottle. Wouldn't seek this one out again.

2.03/5  rDev -25.1%

Poured a nasty yellow color with very little head. Nose was weak, little aroma to be found. What little aroma there is might be described as grape like. Taste is really funky. Almost has a wine like quality, but the aftertaste is particularly unappealing. Another bad beer from Lakefront.

I honestly do not know how to review this beer.It has the the color of a macro the scent of apple juice and the taste of wine.After the initial hit of apple on your tongue there is nothing more..no aftertaste just nothing.Although it's not terrible I doubt I will ever buy again!!

3.4/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured a pale gold with a fizzy head that dropped quickly, looks like an American macro lager, and so my expectations were very low, which may accout for the relatively high score I'm giving this brew because. . . I found it interesting.

Smell is a sharp unexpected acidic twang, reminiscent of some light Belgian ales I've had. Taste is similar to aroma, very simple, a crisp cider-like attack in the mouth, followed by a dry finish.

It's unusual. Not overly complex, and it might get boring rather quickly (I only had the one bottle) but I found it unusual and worth a try.

2.53/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I received a bottle of this from a friend living in Iowa. I poured the capped 12 ounce bottle into a chalice.

A: It poured a nearly clear light golden body with a hint of amber hue and a slight off white head that was barely there before receding to a ring around the collar.

S: It had a moderate to pronounced sweet fruit flavor but it was hard to find.

T: It attacked my tongue with a fruity flavor that reminded me of pears and Macintosh apples sprinkled with cinnamon. It was very floral that reminded me of perfume or a bouquet of flowers. The alcohol was well hidden and it was lightly carbonated.

M: It was light bodied with an odd sweet and sour aftertaste.

D: It was an interesting brew that should be experienced once. Absolutely not a session brew...possibly a decent accompaniment to a dinner.

2.8/5  rDev +3.3%

Interesting to say the least.

Kind of has the Christmas spice smell to it. I detect apples, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, or some kind of combination of those.

Taste is kind of bitey at first, with a smoother yet lingering finish. The flavor is interesting, take that as you will. I can definitely taste the rice, and I'm guessing the strange semi-sweetness is the sorghum. The mouthfeel is kind of watery, and it feels more like apple juice than beer (probably due to the lack of wheat). I could enjoy this once in a while, but I did buy a six pack and it took a long time for them to disappear.

Overall this is a decent beer if you're in the mood for a kind of different strange apple-cider kind of taste. But I really can't drink more than two without getting absolutely sick of them.

2.17/5  rDev -19.9%

Pale yellow, clear, with a rocky white head.

Smell is vinous -- grapes and alcohol -- champaign comes to mind.

Fruity, nearly all grape and peach, astringent with a cardboard like aftertaste. Yowzer.

Light-bodied and highly carbonated -- again with the champaign.

I didn't finish this one, just drank enough to review. Given the style, I went in expecting different, and this beer delivered. Maybe champaign drinkers will like it. Not my cup of beer.

1.88/5  rDev -30.6%

A-Poured a color that reminded me to drink more water. It's pale gold, and the head was like a can of 7-up...thin, highly active for about 5 seconds, then just a few bubbles coming up.

S-Getting some esters and medicinal traces that compete for attention, a faint, faint bit of tropical fruit and heavier apple, light grains. It's in a narrow bandwidth of bouquets where you linger between something that could be the edge of greatness, or nasty funk...only tasting will tell.

T-The taste continues the journey, but not in the direction I had hoped. I feel like I'm sucking on a juicy band-aid that is competing with the apple flavors. This is the worst-tasting beer I've had in a while, and the first I won't finish in a long time...only got about 1/3 through before giving up.

M-Mouthfeel is okay, but I can't overlook the flavor. Body is a bit thicker than what I was expecting, but it's still really light. Carbonation is good.

D-A disappointment. My friends have recommended a tour of this brewery in Milwaukee come summer, and I'll be there, but I'll stay away from this one. This is my first brew of this variety, and I felt inclined to try it since I'm new to this whole gig, and sorghum sounded different.

2.7/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle served right out of the fridge and poured into a pint glass

A - Poured a very light and very bright pale golden yellow, essentially a straw colored liquid, but almost lighter then that yet, like pale hay. Lots of fizzy soda like carbonation streaming up toward the top from the bottom of the glass, so much so that it seemed like an upside down waterfall at times. A nice two finger high head of fizzy white foam was across the top and this quickly faded and left behind essentially nothing but a thin layer across the top that was constantly refreshed by all of this carbonation. To be honest this looked exactly like a macro, and this was not making me happy in the slightest.

S - The aroma was very very light, almost non existent which was really letting me down, but after a few minutes it did pick up a little bit and start to give off a few hints of what the actually profile might be like. Some light aromas of you guessed it straw or wheat coming off of here, as well as some light hints at rice or light earthy cereal grains. But everything was just very light and really non descript. I searched over and over for the slightest little bit of hoppiness and thought I picked up a little citrus, but I may have just been imagining it. Pretty much a carbon copy of a boring dull macro lager.

T - Wow, not quite going in the right direction here, as I took the first taste and noticed this was going to come off as nothing more then a bit of a dull tasting fizzy mess, a gluten free macro beer so to speak. The main player in this one was a straw tasting rice like taste that was both very light in profile, and even equally as bland tasting. This was really as in depth as the flavor was able to get, there was some very light banana like fruity, maybe leaked into this , but other than that the profile was just too light to really make any use of. The finish was very quick and light with really no lingering flavor to it. Refreshing, I will give it that, but not really tasty in anyway. There was a touch of something grass like in the finish, but it too was way too light and really did not do much of anything to help.

M - A super light bodied ale with extremely large amounts of carbonation made this one of the lightest beers I have had in recent memory. It was very crisp and clean, with a very nice refreshing quality, and I have to give it high marks in this category, as there was really and truly nothing wrong with the way this one felt.

D - An outstanding beer to go out and cut the lawn on a hot day. It was very refreshing with very low ABV and a nice crisp consistency. However it was soo light you could actually use it as a water substitute. I literally put this one down in a matter of minutes, just so I could go for something a bit bigger. Almost too drinkable if there is such a thing.

Overall I was really not impressed with this one. Being a Gluten Free beer I was not really sure what to expect going in, but I did not think it was going to be good. I did not expect it was going to be like a macro basically. And it was, pretty much a macro without all the normal ingredients. I would not recommend this one, nor will I be going back to it anytime soon.

2.35/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a cloudy straw yellow with not much head. Aroma is fairly strong, somewhat malty and fruity with just a hint of hops. Flavor is crisp and pleasant, but rather weak - mainly fruity, more like a cider than a beer. It feels watery and thin, but at least it is drinkable. I've had plenty worse.

2.98/5  rDev +10%

A: Has a very clear yellow look to it...think apple juice and that comes close to the appearance. Little to no head on this brew.
S: Has a sweet smell to it.
T&M: Ironically similar to the smell, but in a lighter form. The bottle says that it's a crisp and refreshing session beer and it's pretty true to the edict. This reminds me of those fruit waters that line every supermarket. It's hard to believe this even has alcohol in it.
D: I applaud the effort to use different ingredients not of the norm. This is refreshing like water, so if your expecting it to knock you on your feet, look elsewhere. Nice try.

2.38/5  rDev -12.2%

All I can say after drinking this is that I’m glad I’m not on a restricted diet. Pours to a lemony-straw color, with a thin white head that lingers thru mid glass, and leaves a little lacing. Both the aroma and taste are hard to identify, but "funky" best describes them. A very odd taste and finish, no doubt due to the sorghum.

If someday I have this as my only choice, I may reconsider, but until then, I’ll pass on Sorghum beer.

3.23/5  rDev +19.2%

Appereance is pale as hell with little head and retention

Smells is slightly sour, I'm guessing I smell sorghum and rice. I don't know what sorghum is.

Taste is very dry. Tastes grape like with cloying sweetness. Taste's like a wannabe belgian. Not thickness of malt and little bitterness.

Mouthfeel is crisp and very very dry.

I could drink this if I ever developed a gluten allergy.

2.13/5  rDev -21.4%

A: Had a decent head out of the bottle. Very light, but bubbly.

S: Aromatic, citrus, with a slight organic kind of scent.

T: Terrible. So citrusy I just can't take it.

M: Terrible, really leaves a horribly bitter taste.

D: Honestly, I just can't drink this.

This is just too fruity of a beer. Not my style.

2.58/5  rDev -4.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a stange. pours a light straw color that is crystal clear, with a few fingers of loose white head atop. leaves speckled lacings on the glass.

smell is sweet and fruity. distinct aromas of apples and grapes are prevalent, alongside notes of apricot and floral yeast. minor notes of munich malt and pale malt are present, but the overall character is reminiscent of apple juice.

taste is lightly sweet up front, with the same fruit notes, and finishes with a lingering apple flavor. rather restrained on the palate when compared to the aroma. the label says 'a crisp and refreshing session beer.' well, that is just what this is, no more, and no less.

mouthfeel is light bodied, with a clean texture, and a very clean mouthfeel upon finishing. almost like it was not there.

drinkability is great. this brew manages to be lighter than some macro styles, yet contains remarkable complexity for the subtle flavors that it does have. a unique tasting liquid that goes away almost completely upon swallowing.

2.4/5  rDev -11.4%

a - poured a one finger thick off-white head into my sam adams glass. left a slight ring that was gone halfway through. the body was clear and golden.
s - syrup?
t - apples?
m - medium and slick mouthfeel.
d - nothing going on here, i was actually bored drinking it.

1.5/5  rDev -44.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a golden yellow color with a white head. The aroma smells more like white wine than beer with some apples and alcohol. The taste much like the aroma features some sour apples and tastes more like white wine than beer. The mouthfeel is light and extremely fizzy from the high carbonation. Overall, this is a pretty poor offering. Now I understand why malt and/or wheat is so important to beer. Not recommended. This is my second beer made from sorghum, and neither have been the slightest bit enjoyable.

I am not a fan. I will not be having this again when other choices are available. That said, I suppose it would be better than no beer at all, so don't let my comments discourage those of you who happen to have the misfortune of Celiac disease.

It is a hazy dark yellow color with minimal head. Aroma is very faintly of hops (inhale very deeply) with nothing else to speak of. Flavor is sort of corn syrup-y with a weird cereal-ness which was not very appealing. Mouthfeel is slick and watery.

2.1/5  rDev -22.5%

“New Grist” huh, I’ll stick to the old grist. I mean, not everything about this beer was bad: the aroma had nice lemony tea character and it certainly had the nice golden amber color of a beer (though the head was virtually non-existent). But, in addition to being watery, the flavor is quite off: there’s little-to-no hop spice and some funky grassy character (I really can’t explain it any better than that). Its not very tasty and, more importantly, it doesn’t at all remind me of beer.

I can’t really recommend this one to others, I know I’m glad I only spring for the single (most of which is going to be poured down the drain, I’m sorry to say). If you have a digestive problem with gluten, you might think this one is as close to beer as you can get. Well, that might be true, but in my opinion, it isn’t close enough to beer to be worth it.

Not recommended…

New Grist Sorghum Beer from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.