New Grist Sorghum Beer - Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

New Grist Sorghum BeerNew Grist Sorghum Beer

poor

Lakefront Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.75% ABV

(Beer added by: mentor on 10-13-2005)
2.1/5  rDev -22.8%

“New Grist” huh, I’ll stick to the old grist. I mean, not everything about this beer was bad: the aroma had nice lemony tea character and it certainly had the nice golden amber color of a beer (though the head was virtually non-existent). But, in addition to being watery, the flavor is quite off: there’s little-to-no hop spice and some funky grassy character (I really can’t explain it any better than that). Its not very tasty and, more importantly, it doesn’t at all remind me of beer.

I can’t really recommend this one to others, I know I’m glad I only spring for the single (most of which is going to be poured down the drain, I’m sorry to say). If you have a digestive problem with gluten, you might think this one is as close to beer as you can get. Well, that might be true, but in my opinion, it isn’t close enough to beer to be worth it.

Not recommended…

3.4/5  rDev +25%

The clear straw colored body exhibits lively bubbles beneath a pillowy head that, before it collapsed, looked like a whipped lemon-mourange. The head fell to about a centimeter, and shrunk as it left rings of lacing all the way down the glass.
The nose, sampled up close, hints of white-wine vinegar and floral hops.
There is more vinegary sourness in the taste, and the finnish leaves a flavor that I can only describe as mushrooms. There is definitely a strong sour presence, and the tartness reminds me of a cider.
The body feels smooth and thin, but not watery. It's a crisp beer, and the unusual flavors make it interesting (though a bit of a novelty), but it's not very flavorful.

2.28/5  rDev -16.2%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color with a very thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of fruity with lemon and apples, accompanied by light malts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste is full of fruit and rice, with a sweet & sour type of flavor to it. The malt character is thin and there not much of a hops presence at all. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp with a little smoothness, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, clean finish.

D: I didn’t find it very tasty, goes down ok, not very filling, it’s quite different but it didn’t really appeal to me.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Average pilsner looking beer, pale golden, large pure white head. Weird sour aroma,like sour cooking apples and cider vinegar,slightly phenolic. Strange taste too, again i get the cider vinegar flavour,a lemony bite in the end, and some strange wild Belgian sourness, Kinda thin on the palte, and fizzy but its not too bad in this heat. Overall quite a strange beer indeed. I didnt think it was that bad in fact.

2.58/5  rDev -5.1%

Of all the sourghum beers, this one certainly has the most beeriest packaging.

Pours dark gold with a small head. Sparkly, but that's all.

Smells of pleasant spice, with what appears to be a good hop profile and spicy yeast. Think Duvel only a little off. Seriously, it smells good.

But that good smell does not translate over into the taste unfortunately. The spice is all there is, and it's too medicinal to be nice. There's just a bit of hop at the end and a light, fruity finish, but that's not enough to overcome the creepy spice.

I got more used to the spice as I went on drinking, but this was nearly as a drain pour.

I'd put this solidly behind the decent Bard's Tale Dragon's Gold and solidly ahead of the abhorrent Ramapo Valley Passover Honey Beer. I still haven't tried Red Bridge, though.

2.48/5  rDev -8.8%

Lakefront New Grist Sorghum Beer
12 oz bottle
Moderate pour in a mug.
Brewed 2nd week February 07, gristled 05/07.

Poured a clear yellow with an average white fizzy head.

Smelt of moderate crisp apples and vinegar.

Taste was upfront strong sour apple cider and acetic white wine vinegar with a light breadiness followed by a moderate sourness and a light but distinct weird grain taste on a short finish.

Palate was light bodied, watery, fizzy and moderately mouth puckering.

Overall, a very odd beer. The grain taste on the finish is very interesting and attracts curiosity, but it's so sour, like a Belgian wild ale. Is this normal? It's very different and I can see myself growing to like it, but not at that price (10.99/6pk). Just weird. Fun to try once in a great while, just for the extremely odd experience.

3.08/5  rDev +13.2%

Okay, this one is a little different. I evaluated this one with a grain of salt given that it is a gluten free beer. That being said, it doesn't really taste like beer, more like a cross between beer and cider with a whole lot of bakers yeast in it. It pours very pale yellow with a quick bubbly head that fades immediately. The smell is odd, but not unpleasant with bakers yeast, passion fruit, and anticeptic. The taste is very light and fruity with apple juice, some slight metallic bitterness, and a slightly chalky graininess. Mouthfeel is crisp and light and despite all the fruit flavors fairly dry. Actually quite refrreshing when you get past all the odd flavors.

3.33/5  rDev +22.4%

With all the talk about gluten-free beers I had to grab a single bottle to try this. Pours a golden color with almost no head. Looks like most any other golden to lighter beer in the glass. Slightly dry flavor. We had four people try this beer and didn't tell them what it was. All four thought that this was better than any of the macrobrews, and would be happy with this as a session beer. When told that this was a gluten free sorghum and rice brew, they were surprised and then commented that anyone who coldn't drink regular beer would love this.

I won't be buying this again as it is not my style, but it is good enough for most folks when compared to any of the major brands.

3.88/5  rDev +42.6%

A - no head, large bubles, golden and clear
S - fruity, mild
T - crisp cirus zing, all around the mouth, lightly bittered
M - fine, not prickly, not flat, not thick or thin
D - seems sessionable, as the bottle states

You should try this. I had a bottle just after drinking that Japanese white ale made with rice, the one with an owl, and I think this was better. It only looks boring.

3.35/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pale yellow-gold with scads of big bubbles clinging to the glass and rushing up to an unusual looking bright white head. The cap looks decently sticky, but is deflating rapidly and is leaving the glass virtually untouched. I'm sure the unique ingredients are responsible for the (lack of) foam quality, but I've seen better looking lids on macro lagers.

The nose is pretty weak. What I can appreciate is unlike anything I've smelled before in the world of beer. It must be either sorghum or 'gluten-free yeast grown on molasses'. Maybe both. For the record, NGSB doesn't actually smell like molasses. The nose, while interesting, isn't overly appealing. I think a little more highly of it as the beer warms and once I put it in the context of the flavor.

I don't hate it. Call me crazy, but I think I do appreciate a hint of molasses. Even more than the nose, the flavor profile is unique. New Grist is more (green apple) fruity than anticipated. It's been a while, but this beer reminds me of Buckwheat Ale from Rogue. Buckwheat, or soba, is a fruit in case you were wondering.

In any case, the flavor is mild enough that it couldn't get into too much trouble even if it was nasty... which it isn't. A little more hop flavor and hop bitterness would be nice. The label is correct when it says 'a crisp and refreshing session ale'. It's definitely crisp and I guess refreshing is a matter of opinion depending on how many other options you have.

I've decided to take style (gluten-free, not the one listed above) into account when assigning the taste and drinkability scores. Actually, if I took style *completely* into account, the scores would both be a half point higher. The mouthfeel is light and crisp and... uh... refreshing. Thankfully, it doesn't have that oiliness that some non-barley beer has.

New Grist Sorghum Beer is pretty good stuff if one cracks the cap with an open mind. It's one of the better beers of this type that I've had so far. It would probably be the best if I hadn't recently had my eyes opened by the outstanding, envelope-shredding Sprecher Shakparo (Fire-Brewed African-Style Ale).

2.73/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

New Grist Sorghum Beer
12 oz brown bottle
Bottled During December notched on the side label
Served in a 20 oz tulip pint glass

Pours a golden yellow. Strange apperance, kinda looks like urine after you have an abundance of vitamins. Little carbonation bubbles race to the top of the glass. Spots of sticky lace cling on the sides.

The nose is uninteresting with whiffs of rice cakes and hand lotion.

The taste is unusual too with flavors of bland white rice with a mini sour punch on the finish. Hints of a tart cherry and apple cider, I'm not sure what is going on here.

I like how this beer is gluten free and offers people choice, but I just couldn't get into it.

1.73/5  rDev -36.4%

Ok. Ew. I didn't have any clue what this was when I bought it but it looked neat at the time.

Appearance is atrocious. Pale yellow, no head, no bubbles.

This tastes sorta like a cross between Bud Light, cough syrup and Zima.

The smell? What smell. I couldn't even smell it until I poured it, and well it smells like those fruity aquafina waters.

Mouthfeel is better than the rest of the categories, at least there is a faintly appealing fizz and it's not too heavy or light.

I would never drink this again. I would never drink more than one. If not for the fact that I paid for it, I wouldn't even finish it.

Sure, this all sounds a little harsh so let's say I wouldn't recommend this beer to friends.

3.03/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured rigorously into a pint glass... a tiny head resulted that fizzled out right away. Aroma is kind of like dandelions, a little soap in there too. Taste is crisp, right away a taste of apples. Sweet apples. A very light body. No real hop flavor lingers, just a pinch of floral undertones.

This is a decent gluten free beer. Definitely more drinkable than others I have come across.

3.28/5  rDev +20.6%

So I recently read an article about this beer and decided to give it a try. Beer without malt? Here we go...

Pours a thin yellow-gold color. Very translucent, with a light and fluffy head which dissipates quickly and leaves no lace. Looks pretty much like any ordinary macro or "retro" beer; could easily be mistaken for either Bud or PBR just based on looks. The aroma is intriguing, though. Very light and fruity. Could be mistaken for a cider almost. Appley with hints of lemon and pear and strawberry. The taste follows suit as well. Light and airy, with an almost cider-like quality to it. But not unpleasant, and even quite refreshing. Thin mouthfeel. I guess if you were alergic to malt this might be your best alternative in the beer department, although I'm not sure what the other sorghum brews taste like yet (and may never know). Still, if this was available on a hot summer day and I'd been outside for a long time I could see myself reaching for one of these; my options would have to be fairly limited to do so, but I could see myself doing it. Not bad, but probably not something I'll return to very often.

2.68/5  rDev -1.5%

A - Cider-like apple juice appearance with absolutely no head. Nice color, but else...no head, no floaties, no bubbles, no lace. Bohhh-ring.

S - Sweet and a little bit tangy. Has a bit of a wheat-beer-like snap in the nose. I honestly have no idea what sorghum is ...I'll have to wikipedia it, but if this is what it smells like, then I'mm assuming that it's something like wheat or rye.

T - Cider-like flavors. Sweet and twangy. Tart green apples and maybe a little citrus. I really thought that this tasted great at first, then the novelty wore of and the flavors became very boring and monotonous.

M - Thin and crisp. Extremely quenching and wet. Again, very cider-like.

D - I liked this beer alot more than other reviewers, but It's important to keep in mind that allthough I like it...it really isn't much like beer at all. It reminds me of English cider like Strongbow. This should be tried by all BA's for it's uniqueness alone.

1.68/5  rDev -38.2%

I have no idea what sorghum is, but if you put "beer" on the label, I’m willing to try it. This poured from my 12 oz bottle with a light orange hue, with little activity and a thin white fuzzy white head. This gives an odd aroma .. almost like cinnamon gum, or cough syrup ... not good. The flavor is a tad better, but similarly off-putting ... very medicinal, this reminded me very much of the cough syrup I had as a kid ... like artificially-flavored cherry cough-drops, or something along those lines. (#2663, 1/21/07)

This is a different sort of beer.

The pour reveals a clear light amber colored beer with a momentary white head.

Smell is strikingly fruity. There is a fruity scent that I perceive as persimmons. There is a floral scent here too that is a dead ringer for Chinese chamomile tea.

The taste is quite fruity and floral. Taste wise this is a beer version of chamomile tea. Strikingly floral this has a great deal in common with perfume.

Mouthfeel is not the strong point of this beer.

The drinkability here is OK. Not really a great beer so much as a unique one. This would be a great match for Chinese Food.

3.6/5  rDev +32.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This isn't a bad alternative for those on a gluten-free diet.

Label clearly states that it is made from sorghum and rice extract, if you have a problem with those ingredients, choose something else.

Pours a clear amber-yellow with a decent frothy head into a pilsner glass. Lace sticks around after time passes.

Smells like beer, nothing out of the ordinary.

Taste has a slight sweetness from the sorghum, often a substitute for molasses/maple syrup in the south. Malted rice gives a light sense of maltiness to the overall profile.

Mouthfeel is thin, and it's easy to drink, not a bad alternative to other beers if you're gluten-intolerant or have Celiac's.

2.98/5  rDev +9.6%

For those totally ripping on this beer - please educate yourself - this beer is brewed for people with Celiac disease - a disease that requires a gluten free diet. I applaud Lakefront for making a product that looks and tastes (at least somewhat) like beer - for the approx. 1% of our population that has the disease. I have met people who say they loved beer before devloping the symptoms - this gives them a chance to drink something close to barley based beer.

I rate it based on those facts and comparing to average american macro beer - which it beats most!

Looks similar to the big boys - maybe darker - nose is not of barley malt - but how to fake it? The flavor reminds me of light american lagers, but on the sweet side - more like a very light mead. Finishes with a light hop bittering - could maybe use a bit more to balance the seetness.

Not something I want to drink - but this isn't made for me or other BA's.

3.28/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sometimes one shouldn't send their wife out for beer. Specifically asked for SN Bigfoot and DFH 120min. I ended up with a sixer of this and a braggot. But i am glad that she knew it wasnt something ive tried before, and im always up for trying something new.

Appearance
A sparkling clear golden beer, looks alot like ginger ale. One finger white head formed over this fairly vigorously carbonated brew. Very scantily laced.

Aroma
Lemongrass and a slight sourness, some white grape, and rice. In all fairness its somewhat unique and has its own merits.

Taste
Interesting. Mild lemon and grassy notes, presumably from the hops. Some mild and slightly sour notes of white grape and apple. What the hell does sorghum taste like? The clean rice flavours are apparent in the finish.

Mouthfeel
Crisp, clean tasting light bodied brew, with interesting balance between the grains and the hops. A refreshing drink that would make a good thirst quencher.

Drinkability
Pretty unique and pretty drinkable. Certainly sessionable, and may encourage macro drinkers to look beyond BMC. Glad i got to try this one, may remember it during a heat wave next summer.

2.28/5  rDev -16.2%

Pours a three finger fizzy, white head that vanishes to a ring leaving no lace. Crystal clear pale amber color. Strong carbonation and light bodied. Lemon nose. Starts sweet, fizzy and almost sour lemon flavor, clean finish. Could be a good summer beverage but I don't appreciate a substitute beer. $1.29 for a 12oz bottle from Blue Max Liquor Burnsville, Mn.

Ugggh...from the first look and whiff of this brew I knew I was in for a struggle. The things I do for you guys. Poured into a stemmed pils glass it forms a quickly fading loose head that fizzes to a ring. Highly filtered clarity with minimal carbonation. Yellow body.

Sorghum is just a hidious alternative and those that cant have glueton..please don't judge the world of beer after sampling these extract laden brews. Simply awful. Syrupy from the start...not in mouthfeel but rather the sweet "malts" are nastily sweet and sticky. Extremely vinous at times, particulary the start, the middle and the finish....oh wait...it doesn't clean up at all and lingers on the palate for quite some time. Label states this is a "refreshing session beer". How could a dirty, syrupy brew be even considered a session brew? More than one would have to be restricted somewhere in the constitution.

Notes: A terrible wine comes to mind minus the 12%abv. This reveals all of its flaws wether cold or warm. Avoid.

3.08/5  rDev +13.2%

Interesting beer. It pours a clear golden body beneath a creamy head of bright white that holds well and leaves some nice lace about the glass. The nose offers some floral and grassy hops, and a bit of sweetness. In the mouth it's medium bodied and effervescently crisp. The flavor is sweet and malty, but not particularly grainy. Hop flavor is limited, but there's some floral character there; and a light touch of tartness as well. A fairly solid bitterness resides underneath. Still, the sweetness tends to linger. It finishes with a sweetness that's a bit sticky, but soon erodes to reveal a rough, lingering bitterness.

I'm guessing that this is made for people with Celiac's disease, an auto-immune disorder of the small bowel caused by a reaction to gluten, which i then causes gastric problems (mainly diarrhea and upset stomach) and interferes with the absorption of nutrients. If this is their only choice, I feel sorry for anyone who has it. However, I have tasted better beers made without wheat or barley.

2.73/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is a clear, very light, yellowish beer with a slight, fizzy, white head. It’s got a bit of a tart aroma, grainy and fresh. The smell has an unmalted cereal quality (is that the sorghum?). There’s also a little fruit quality and a very faint sweetness. The taste is slightly sweet, balanced with a mild bitterness and astringency. It’s very mellow and not really complex. The unmalted cereal character is present throughout the brew. Light in body, almost watery. Interesting, but it really didn’t do much for me.

2.65/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a pale golden color with virtually no head.
Smell is totally nothing,. almost like water.
Taste is very strange, with a stonge dryness and virtually nothing else.
Finish is almost medicinal, and not in a good way.
When I purchased this beer, I never realized it was made for persons with special dietary requirements.
Drinkable, but if reviewed as a non-gluten beer, and this was the only alternative, it is OK.

New Grist Sorghum Beer from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.