New Grist Sorghum Beer - Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

New Grist Sorghum BeerNew Grist Sorghum Beer

poor

Lakefront Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.75% ABV

(Beer added by: mentor on 10-13-2005)
3.33/5  rDev +22.4%

With all the talk about gluten-free beers I had to grab a single bottle to try this. Pours a golden color with almost no head. Looks like most any other golden to lighter beer in the glass. Slightly dry flavor. We had four people try this beer and didn't tell them what it was. All four thought that this was better than any of the macrobrews, and would be happy with this as a session beer. When told that this was a gluten free sorghum and rice brew, they were surprised and then commented that anyone who coldn't drink regular beer would love this.

I won't be buying this again as it is not my style, but it is good enough for most folks when compared to any of the major brands.

beerjournl, May 17, 2007
3.88/5  rDev +42.6%

A - no head, large bubles, golden and clear
S - fruity, mild
T - crisp cirus zing, all around the mouth, lightly bittered
M - fine, not prickly, not flat, not thick or thin
D - seems sessionable, as the bottle states

You should try this. I had a bottle just after drinking that Japanese white ale made with rice, the one with an owl, and I think this was better. It only looks boring.

snilsen13, May 16, 2007
3.35/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pale yellow-gold with scads of big bubbles clinging to the glass and rushing up to an unusual looking bright white head. The cap looks decently sticky, but is deflating rapidly and is leaving the glass virtually untouched. I'm sure the unique ingredients are responsible for the (lack of) foam quality, but I've seen better looking lids on macro lagers.

The nose is pretty weak. What I can appreciate is unlike anything I've smelled before in the world of beer. It must be either sorghum or 'gluten-free yeast grown on molasses'. Maybe both. For the record, NGSB doesn't actually smell like molasses. The nose, while interesting, isn't overly appealing. I think a little more highly of it as the beer warms and once I put it in the context of the flavor.

I don't hate it. Call me crazy, but I think I do appreciate a hint of molasses. Even more than the nose, the flavor profile is unique. New Grist is more (green apple) fruity than anticipated. It's been a while, but this beer reminds me of Buckwheat Ale from Rogue. Buckwheat, or soba, is a fruit in case you were wondering.

In any case, the flavor is mild enough that it couldn't get into too much trouble even if it was nasty... which it isn't. A little more hop flavor and hop bitterness would be nice. The label is correct when it says 'a crisp and refreshing session ale'. It's definitely crisp and I guess refreshing is a matter of opinion depending on how many other options you have.

I've decided to take style (gluten-free, not the one listed above) into account when assigning the taste and drinkability scores. Actually, if I took style *completely* into account, the scores would both be a half point higher. The mouthfeel is light and crisp and... uh... refreshing. Thankfully, it doesn't have that oiliness that some non-barley beer has.

New Grist Sorghum Beer is pretty good stuff if one cracks the cap with an open mind. It's one of the better beers of this type that I've had so far. It would probably be the best if I hadn't recently had my eyes opened by the outstanding, envelope-shredding Sprecher Shakparo (Fire-Brewed African-Style Ale).

BuckeyeNation, May 14, 2007
2.73/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

New Grist Sorghum Beer
12 oz brown bottle
Bottled During December notched on the side label
Served in a 20 oz tulip pint glass

Pours a golden yellow. Strange apperance, kinda looks like urine after you have an abundance of vitamins. Little carbonation bubbles race to the top of the glass. Spots of sticky lace cling on the sides.

The nose is uninteresting with whiffs of rice cakes and hand lotion.

The taste is unusual too with flavors of bland white rice with a mini sour punch on the finish. Hints of a tart cherry and apple cider, I'm not sure what is going on here.

I like how this beer is gluten free and offers people choice, but I just couldn't get into it.

Hibernator, Apr 07, 2007
1.73/5  rDev -36.4%

Ok. Ew. I didn't have any clue what this was when I bought it but it looked neat at the time.

Appearance is atrocious. Pale yellow, no head, no bubbles.

This tastes sorta like a cross between Bud Light, cough syrup and Zima.

The smell? What smell. I couldn't even smell it until I poured it, and well it smells like those fruity aquafina waters.

Mouthfeel is better than the rest of the categories, at least there is a faintly appealing fizz and it's not too heavy or light.

I would never drink this again. I would never drink more than one. If not for the fact that I paid for it, I wouldn't even finish it.

Sure, this all sounds a little harsh so let's say I wouldn't recommend this beer to friends.

nowise, Apr 04, 2007
3.03/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured rigorously into a pint glass... a tiny head resulted that fizzled out right away. Aroma is kind of like dandelions, a little soap in there too. Taste is crisp, right away a taste of apples. Sweet apples. A very light body. No real hop flavor lingers, just a pinch of floral undertones.

This is a decent gluten free beer. Definitely more drinkable than others I have come across.

tanarm, Apr 03, 2007
3.28/5  rDev +20.6%

So I recently read an article about this beer and decided to give it a try. Beer without malt? Here we go...

Pours a thin yellow-gold color. Very translucent, with a light and fluffy head which dissipates quickly and leaves no lace. Looks pretty much like any ordinary macro or "retro" beer; could easily be mistaken for either Bud or PBR just based on looks. The aroma is intriguing, though. Very light and fruity. Could be mistaken for a cider almost. Appley with hints of lemon and pear and strawberry. The taste follows suit as well. Light and airy, with an almost cider-like quality to it. But not unpleasant, and even quite refreshing. Thin mouthfeel. I guess if you were alergic to malt this might be your best alternative in the beer department, although I'm not sure what the other sorghum brews taste like yet (and may never know). Still, if this was available on a hot summer day and I'd been outside for a long time I could see myself reaching for one of these; my options would have to be fairly limited to do so, but I could see myself doing it. Not bad, but probably not something I'll return to very often.

Atlas1, Feb 18, 2007
2.68/5  rDev -1.5%

A - Cider-like apple juice appearance with absolutely no head. Nice color, but else...no head, no floaties, no bubbles, no lace. Bohhh-ring.

S - Sweet and a little bit tangy. Has a bit of a wheat-beer-like snap in the nose. I honestly have no idea what sorghum is ...I'll have to wikipedia it, but if this is what it smells like, then I'mm assuming that it's something like wheat or rye.

T - Cider-like flavors. Sweet and twangy. Tart green apples and maybe a little citrus. I really thought that this tasted great at first, then the novelty wore of and the flavors became very boring and monotonous.

M - Thin and crisp. Extremely quenching and wet. Again, very cider-like.

D - I liked this beer alot more than other reviewers, but It's important to keep in mind that allthough I like it...it really isn't much like beer at all. It reminds me of English cider like Strongbow. This should be tried by all BA's for it's uniqueness alone.

pmcadamis, Feb 04, 2007
1.68/5  rDev -38.2%

I have no idea what sorghum is, but if you put "beer" on the label, I’m willing to try it. This poured from my 12 oz bottle with a light orange hue, with little activity and a thin white fuzzy white head. This gives an odd aroma .. almost like cinnamon gum, or cough syrup ... not good. The flavor is a tad better, but similarly off-putting ... very medicinal, this reminded me very much of the cough syrup I had as a kid ... like artificially-flavored cherry cough-drops, or something along those lines. (#2663, 1/21/07)

Braudog, Jan 21, 2007

This is a different sort of beer.

The pour reveals a clear light amber colored beer with a momentary white head.

Smell is strikingly fruity. There is a fruity scent that I perceive as persimmons. There is a floral scent here too that is a dead ringer for Chinese chamomile tea.

The taste is quite fruity and floral. Taste wise this is a beer version of chamomile tea. Strikingly floral this has a great deal in common with perfume.

Mouthfeel is not the strong point of this beer.

The drinkability here is OK. Not really a great beer so much as a unique one. This would be a great match for Chinese Food.

Zorro, Jan 09, 2007
3.6/5  rDev +32.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This isn't a bad alternative for those on a gluten-free diet.

Label clearly states that it is made from sorghum and rice extract, if you have a problem with those ingredients, choose something else.

Pours a clear amber-yellow with a decent frothy head into a pilsner glass. Lace sticks around after time passes.

Smells like beer, nothing out of the ordinary.

Taste has a slight sweetness from the sorghum, often a substitute for molasses/maple syrup in the south. Malted rice gives a light sense of maltiness to the overall profile.

Mouthfeel is thin, and it's easy to drink, not a bad alternative to other beers if you're gluten-intolerant or have Celiac's.

emerge077, Jan 07, 2007
2.98/5  rDev +9.6%

For those totally ripping on this beer - please educate yourself - this beer is brewed for people with Celiac disease - a disease that requires a gluten free diet. I applaud Lakefront for making a product that looks and tastes (at least somewhat) like beer - for the approx. 1% of our population that has the disease. I have met people who say they loved beer before devloping the symptoms - this gives them a chance to drink something close to barley based beer.

I rate it based on those facts and comparing to average american macro beer - which it beats most!

Looks similar to the big boys - maybe darker - nose is not of barley malt - but how to fake it? The flavor reminds me of light american lagers, but on the sweet side - more like a very light mead. Finishes with a light hop bittering - could maybe use a bit more to balance the seetness.

Not something I want to drink - but this isn't made for me or other BA's.

sweethome, Dec 10, 2006
3.28/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sometimes one shouldn't send their wife out for beer. Specifically asked for SN Bigfoot and DFH 120min. I ended up with a sixer of this and a braggot. But i am glad that she knew it wasnt something ive tried before, and im always up for trying something new.

Appearance
A sparkling clear golden beer, looks alot like ginger ale. One finger white head formed over this fairly vigorously carbonated brew. Very scantily laced.

Aroma
Lemongrass and a slight sourness, some white grape, and rice. In all fairness its somewhat unique and has its own merits.

Taste
Interesting. Mild lemon and grassy notes, presumably from the hops. Some mild and slightly sour notes of white grape and apple. What the hell does sorghum taste like? The clean rice flavours are apparent in the finish.

Mouthfeel
Crisp, clean tasting light bodied brew, with interesting balance between the grains and the hops. A refreshing drink that would make a good thirst quencher.

Drinkability
Pretty unique and pretty drinkable. Certainly sessionable, and may encourage macro drinkers to look beyond BMC. Glad i got to try this one, may remember it during a heat wave next summer.

demcorhip, Dec 10, 2006
2.28/5  rDev -16.2%

Pours a three finger fizzy, white head that vanishes to a ring leaving no lace. Crystal clear pale amber color. Strong carbonation and light bodied. Lemon nose. Starts sweet, fizzy and almost sour lemon flavor, clean finish. Could be a good summer beverage but I don't appreciate a substitute beer. $1.29 for a 12oz bottle from Blue Max Liquor Burnsville, Mn.

jdhilt, Nov 29, 2006

Ugggh...from the first look and whiff of this brew I knew I was in for a struggle. The things I do for you guys. Poured into a stemmed pils glass it forms a quickly fading loose head that fizzes to a ring. Highly filtered clarity with minimal carbonation. Yellow body.

Sorghum is just a hidious alternative and those that cant have glueton..please don't judge the world of beer after sampling these extract laden brews. Simply awful. Syrupy from the start...not in mouthfeel but rather the sweet "malts" are nastily sweet and sticky. Extremely vinous at times, particulary the start, the middle and the finish....oh wait...it doesn't clean up at all and lingers on the palate for quite some time. Label states this is a "refreshing session beer". How could a dirty, syrupy brew be even considered a session brew? More than one would have to be restricted somewhere in the constitution.

Notes: A terrible wine comes to mind minus the 12%abv. This reveals all of its flaws wether cold or warm. Avoid.

DogFood11, Nov 24, 2006
3.08/5  rDev +13.2%

Interesting beer. It pours a clear golden body beneath a creamy head of bright white that holds well and leaves some nice lace about the glass. The nose offers some floral and grassy hops, and a bit of sweetness. In the mouth it's medium bodied and effervescently crisp. The flavor is sweet and malty, but not particularly grainy. Hop flavor is limited, but there's some floral character there; and a light touch of tartness as well. A fairly solid bitterness resides underneath. Still, the sweetness tends to linger. It finishes with a sweetness that's a bit sticky, but soon erodes to reveal a rough, lingering bitterness.

I'm guessing that this is made for people with Celiac's disease, an auto-immune disorder of the small bowel caused by a reaction to gluten, which i then causes gastric problems (mainly diarrhea and upset stomach) and interferes with the absorption of nutrients. If this is their only choice, I feel sorry for anyone who has it. However, I have tasted better beers made without wheat or barley.

NeroFiddled, Nov 15, 2006
2.73/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is a clear, very light, yellowish beer with a slight, fizzy, white head. It’s got a bit of a tart aroma, grainy and fresh. The smell has an unmalted cereal quality (is that the sorghum?). There’s also a little fruit quality and a very faint sweetness. The taste is slightly sweet, balanced with a mild bitterness and astringency. It’s very mellow and not really complex. The unmalted cereal character is present throughout the brew. Light in body, almost watery. Interesting, but it really didn’t do much for me.

Suds, Nov 13, 2006
2.65/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a pale golden color with virtually no head.
Smell is totally nothing,. almost like water.
Taste is very strange, with a stonge dryness and virtually nothing else.
Finish is almost medicinal, and not in a good way.
When I purchased this beer, I never realized it was made for persons with special dietary requirements.
Drinkable, but if reviewed as a non-gluten beer, and this was the only alternative, it is OK.

tgbljb, Oct 29, 2006
2.23/5  rDev -18%

Appearance: Pale yellow, completely transparent. Minimal white foamy head. Lots of carbonation bubbles. Almost looks like soda when the head disappears.

Smell: Not much there. A bit of sour plus grain. Once it warmed up, there was a bit of a fruity essence, but not much.

Taste: Sweet but biting finish. A little hoppy, but not much. Really, there wasn't much there and what was there wasn't that good.

Mouthfeel: Lots of carbonation. Light to medium body.

Drinkability: Not very drinkable. I really didn't care for this beer...

isubsmith, Oct 20, 2006
3.28/5  rDev +20.6%

Pours a very yellow, clear color. No head at all.

Smells slightly sour, but the main aroma is a lemongrass and raws grains (like a mild wheat beer) After sitting, I could pick up a slight grapefruit smell that reminds me of IPA's.

The flavor is the same as the smell. It starts out with a mild wheat beer with lemon and orange. (I should note that it is wheat free? Thus maybe the rice is similar then) It has a very peculiar front taste that I can't describe further. It ends with a somewhat boring ricy Budweiser quality.

Very crisp mouth. Feels quite light.

This was a little sweet for my taste, not to mention I like dark beers. However, I could have more than one. Would I buy it? Probably not. However it's drinkable, and I think that there are some people that could find this as their niche. It's a very unique flavor.

terrabyte, Oct 16, 2006
4.05/5  rDev +48.9%

(Served in a dimple mug)

A- This beer has a deep yellow body with a soapy white film that clings to the glass. There is a big bubble carbonation.

S- The smell of sweet raw grain and raw cereals with a slight sour note in the background.

T- This beer has the slight sweet slight tangy finish with a light spice. The hops bitterness starts to come through as it warms.

M- The medium-full mouthfeel has a tight little fizz finish.

D- This beer has a very unique sweet and sour flavor but it is not the same qualities as a wit beer. I have never tasted any African sorghum beers but this beer has really got me interested.

rhoadsrage, Oct 15, 2006
3.53/5  rDev +29.8%

Bottle says it was bottled on the 3rd week of September. Hopefully it's September 2006. Served in a mug, the beer pours a clear gold color with a small white head. It smells like apples, grain and a bit of fruityness, like strawberries. It tastes like Boone's Farm Apple wine. There's also a citrusy and grainy taste as well. Mouthfeel is light, but the beer is smooth and refreshing. Drinkability is good too. This is a pretty unusual beer, but I think I could drink it now and again if I was in the mood for it. It's not something I could have all the time.

bluejacket74, Oct 15, 2006
2.7/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12oz single, aquired somewhere around town and has been sitting in my fridge for a while

appearance: pours into a pint glass...as pale as can be, clear, watery straw color, light white foam head with little retention...completely unappealing

smell: faint aromas at best...apple juice?, spiced, not much else

taste: I dont even know exactly what this is but its pretty boring and watery...apple juice, lots of sweetness, green grape. Its not offensive, just an utterly useless beverage

mouthfeel: very light, moderate carbonation, tingly spice

drinkabilty: i guess

dirtylou, Oct 08, 2006
2.28/5  rDev -16.2%

Coors. Need I say more? I suppose...

This poured like a soda pop, almost ginger ale, lots of bubbles, no head with an almost un-beer like golden hue, it's ginger ale. It didn't smell anything like beer. There was actually a fruity, sour smell almost like watered down Sunny Delight or apple juice. Mouth was thin, but there was the thickness and taste feeling just like apple juice with carbonation.

Gotta say, taste was okay, almost refreshing, but hard ciders seem to fill the bill a lot better. It had a hit of beer taste on the backside but apple and sour fruitiness dominated.

Fills a need I guess. Pretty decent for gluten free, but this really isn't for someone that even will do with a macro lager as far as beer taste goes, even OMNA has more beer "flavor".

Ricochet, Sep 25, 2006
2.4/5  rDev -11.8%

Wow. A very light, watery beer for folks with gluten allergies. It's very pale, thin, and elusive. I think non-alcoholic beer has a tad more real beer flavor, but if I was dead set on drinking "beer" and my only other choice was no beer, then I suppose this would have to do. I have often told folks with newly discovered food allergies that it would be better to pursue other classic foods to appreciate rather than slog onward with these meager facsimiles. I would perhaps become a cider or wine disciple, but if you just gotta have it because it's called "beer" and "beer" is what you're set on drinking despite your allergies, then this is not a terrible way to go. I could think of worse things, but I already know of many better options.

dedrinker, Sep 24, 2006
New Grist Sorghum Beer from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.