New Grist Sorghum Beer - Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

New Grist Sorghum BeerNew Grist Sorghum Beer

poor

Lakefront Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.75% ABV

Beer added by: mentor on 10-13-2005

3.18/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

355 mL bottle from the LCBO picked up as a single; bottled Jan. 14 2014. Served well-chilled. My last gluten-free beer review was nearly two years ago, and... well, I'd rather not talk about it. Will this one go any better?

Pours a clear, pale straw yellow colour, topped with one finger of soapy, relatively short-lived white head. Soon, a foamy collar and wispy film at the surface are all that remains. It kind of looks like that glass of dry cider I had the other day. I am not getting much on the nose from this one - it's a little fruity, with some apple juice vibes, but not much else to speak of beyond some sort of neutral malt sweetness; probably the rice. Not offensive, which is already above average by GF beer standards.

I was a little worried about this one, but in all honesty there is nothing wrong with it as an alcoholic beverage. The taste is on the fruity side, with apple cider, boiled vegetables and some pear notes at first. Toward the finish I am getting notes of sake and white wine (Sauvignon Blanc maybe?); the booze is just barely detectable, but not in an irritating way. Light-bodied and watery, with firm carbonation that falls a step or two below 'macro lager' on the fizziness scale. This is a surprisingly light, drinkable pseudo-beer that I have no serious complaints about, but it's worth keeping in mind that I came in with very low expectations.

Final Grade: 3.19, a C+. I don't profess to have a lot of experience with gluten-free anything, but Lakefront Brewery's New Grist is the first GF beer I've ever tried that comes anywhere close to approximating a normal beer. This makes for a passable adjunct lager - high praise indeed! There's no reason for anyone without celiac disease to bother with this one, but it's still the best example of this niche style I've tried, and definitely the only one I'd voluntarily consume again.

2.97/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Odor: sweet aroma of apples, almost like an apple wine

Pour: Light golden clear with a faint head that disipates instantly, Filtered. No lace.

Taste: Very Light bodied beer with a sweetness on the end. Very light carbonation, almost none. Body reminds me of bud light with apple.

This beer is made with sorghum and rice instead of your normal ingredients such as barley and wheat. If you're like me, you asked, what the hell is sorghum? Sorghum is actually the 3rd largest produced grain in the US behind wheat and barley. Yes, I had to look that up. Anyway, I had originally heard about sorghum through Andrew Zimmern and his awesome Bizarre foods show where he was in Africa eating Sorghum like popcorn. It can be prepared that way and the popped kernels are lighter than popcorn and don't have the shell lodged in the middle to get stuck in your teeth. Not wanting to get beer stuck in my teeth, I figured I'd give this a go. And it's good for those avoiding Gluten...whoever you are. Beer with not a lot of complexity. I believe a lot of people who enjoy macro brewery beer could drink this and never know the difference until maybe the aftertaste of apple. Good beer to give to those girls who don't like beer and just want an appletini.

3.5/5  rDev +28.7%

4.19/5  rDev +54%

As a Gluten Free beer drinker. This is the best beer I've come across so far. Smooth, balanced and not at all harsh or spicy. I find this beer to be the most similar to a standard Non-GF beer that I've encountered. Not very carbonated and doesn't retain a head too well however still a good brew. 4.23/5.

1.84/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2

Poured from a bottle into a Perfect Pint.

A=Extremely faint yellow...almost like 7-Up. One finger white head that lasted for more than a minute.

S=Plastic and sugar/syrup.

T=Plastic and sugar/syrup...faint hops. Moderate to no flavor, but what is there is rather bad.

M=Moderate body with moderate carbonation...enables one to drink it quickly.

O=Not nearly as enjoyable as the Damm Daura gluten-free offering...will not buy nor drink again.

2.85/5  rDev +4.8%

12 oz. bottle, with bottled on date 07/06/2013. My first beer from Lakefront Brewery, a gluten free sorghum beer, labeled as a 'pilsner style beer' on the label. Expectations are fairly low based on this beer's current poor ratings.

Poured into The Godfather pint glass.

A - Pours a sickly pale yellow colored body with lots of bubbles going crazy in the glass. One finger of thin big bubbly white fizz for a head. Tiny powdery sediment floating in the glass. Color is almost more reminiscent of a white wine than it is beer.

S - Smell is pretty light and non-existent, but I'm definitely pulling out lots of fruit, almost strawberry like. Strawberries, lemon juice, and green apple cider.

T - Taste pretty much disappears almost instantly following the swallow. There is subtle slight graininess here, a ricey sort of quality although I couldn't exactly say what it is, some tart green apple cider, and some acidic vinegar. Mildly vinous.

M - Feel is extremely crisp and clean. Hardly any lingering aftertaste of any kind aside from some mild vinous apple cider and some faint alcohol warmth.

Overall, it wasn't harsh or offensive, but there was hardly anything to enjoy about this offering. I give it props for being gluten free and all, but there is poor duration and depth of flavor with this thing. I'm not so sure I would call this a pilsner, but then again I wouldn't call it a fruit / vegetable beer either. An interesting beer, worth trying at least once I suppose.

Lakefront Brewery New Grist ---3/5.

1.75/5  rDev -35.7%

2.68/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

355ml bottle poured into tulip 28/10/13

A golden yellow with bubbles of all sizes including some giants, lots of tiny suspended particles once you have a good look, just a cola like fizzy thumbs width of foam, zero lace

S apple juice and rice cakes, earthy almost funky fall orchard, smells strange but not overly offensive

T apple cider ginger ale mix, almost has a wild aspect to it, I can drink it but not happily

M cola like foam and a little slimy, has a little body but its slippery and slick after you swallow

O I know its gluten free but it's hard to like a beer that's not quite right, doesn't drink that well and I'd rather have a cider

could be a lot worse, I finished it but I'd give away a second bottle it I had one

2.25/5  rDev -17.3%

1.75/5  rDev -35.7%

New Grist Sorghum Beer from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.