Fuel Cafe (Coffee Flavored Stout) - Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

Fuel Cafe (Coffee Flavored Stout)Fuel Cafe (Coffee Flavored Stout)

Lakefront Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Stout |  6.40% ABV

Beer added by: Winter on 02-26-2002

4.7/5  rDev +42%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My bottle says 'Fuel Cafe - Coffee Flavored stout', but maybe they changed the name? Regardless, this is a beer that one should drink without knowing the name until the end, because the 'coffee flavored' portion of the title is deceptive. Do not expect a distict coffee flavor, but rather a very subtle roasted coffee bean flavor that is detectable to only the most sensitive of palate.

Pours a 2 shades lighter than pitch black with a coffee colored head (one of the few indications of a java presence at all) that is thick and creamy.

The nose is sweet malty, with just a touch of coffee.

Taste is incredibly unique! Reminds me of a german smoked beer with delightful roasted malts and smooth smokey finish. The taste caught me off guard, but is balanced so that the palate quickly adjusts, copes, and then begs for more. This is one to go back to again and again. (875 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +40.2%

Thick black with a brown wispy head. The smell is AWESOME with a dark roasted coffee smell upfront, mingled with roasted malt and some slight yeast and hop aromas. The coffee wasn't overpowering, but it was there, and very pronounced, but still allowing the heavy roasted malt character to come through. A medium hop bitterness cleaned up my palate, but still left some roasted coffee flavor behind. This stout has a thick and rich feel, near-perfect carbonation. I must have more of this stout... (497 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +37.5%

Beautiful pour with a creamy head and a black, opaque color into a snifter. Just a little lacing, but the creamy head never completely went away. Smells sweet, almost fruity like an oatmeal stout. Tastes wonderfully sweet, almost caramelly. Reminds me of a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout with just a little coffee flavor, but nothing like I expected (which isn't a bad thing). Fuel Cafe Stout is not too sweet by any means. Mouthfeel is good with exceptionally drinkability. Not a session beer. Would be a great breakfast beer, however. The best from my Lakefront 8-pack sampler so far. I couldn't find a fault with this beer, but being a newbie I didn't want to seem too enthusiastic. I notice I'm well above the average for this beer, but I really did like it.There was only one in the sampler; I will buy a six-pack. (815 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +37.2%

poured into snifter.

A. dark. very dark with a tan head that dissipates pretty quick

S. smells damn tasty sweet chocolate, coffee and malts. makes me look forward to drinking this

T. strong coffee and chocolate taste. not too bitter.

M. decent mouth feel nothing too impressive

D. very drinkable. would go great with dessert or a good cigar would definitely have again (375 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +33.5%

A: pitch black brown creamy head.

S: rich black coffee, dark chocolate, sweet dark fruit, vanilla, slight nut.

T: delicious rich coffee upfront. Vanilla chocolate middle. Nut like finish.

M: nice and thick. On the sweeter side.

O: excellent coffee stout. Really rich with multiple flavor levels and complexity. Really nice. Not too dry at the end which is exceptional. (376 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +32%

12oz brown bottle from The Lighthouse in Manchester as part of this brewery's sampler 8-pack. Pours an opaque black body with a good inch of short-lived tan head. Smells roasty - like black coffee with dark chocolate notes. Tastes roasty and sweet, with strong coffee and chocolate notes. Full-bodied with ample carbonation, one sip definitely invites another. Nothing wrong with this brew - practically perfect coffee stout! (425 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +31.4%

12 oz. bottle in a pint glass.

A - Dark brown with a caramel tan head that disappears quickly.

S - Strong chocolate and coffee scents.

T - Strong chocolate flavors with strong coffee undertones.

M - Full bodied with good carbonation and a slight bitter finish.

D - Great beer. I bought the variety 8 pack from Lakefront Brewery. I was not thrilled with any of the other beers. This is the first I haved really liked. This is really good. Buy it! (451 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +30.5%

dark black with nearly no light at all shining through on this one. Rich tan colored head of about two inches quickly settled down to about a half inch of tan that thoroughly coated the inside of the glass. This was what the style is all about!

The aroma was just loaded down with coffee. Rich notes of mocha mixes in with a rich, and sweet coffee note. A tiny bit of bitterness and an earthy flare lying down underneath of it, but the majority of this one was hands down, rich brewed coffee. The flavor was more of the same. Rich notes just rolled over the tongue in waves and thoroughly coated the inside of the mouth. Sweet with touches of chocolate and vanilla to highlight the coffee notes, (696 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +30.5%

I liked this one a lot. Some sort of fascinating, unique earthy coffee flavor dominating. I have no idea exactly what that is or where it comes from. Not a typical coffee flavor. I think they must use some sort of special roast gourmet flavored stuff here, which is a good idea IMO.

Definitely the best Lakefront brew i've had yet, and worth picking up an entire sixer next time i'm in Pensacola, where Four Winds has pretty much their entire repertoire. This one makes me interested in trying more of their stuff.

Excellent coffee stout. (544 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +29.9%

Poured a very deep brown color with moderate tannish head.
Smell is mainly of roasted malt with a bit of dark fruininess in the background.
Taste is roastes malty, with some coffee and chocolate notes also present.
Finishes with a stong bitterness with does a nice balancing act on the sweetness.
A very nice. easy to drink, stout. (336 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +29.6%

A- Pitch black color, non-transparent, very thin tan ring around the glass

S- Dark chocolate, coffee beans, dark malts, hint of dark fruit

T- Freshly brewed coffee, milk chocolate, creamy, vanilla, roasted malts, slightly sweet

M- Medium/heavy body, low/medium carbonation, rich, smooth, silky

D- Great session stout

Good full flavors but not too overpowering. I could put down a few of these brews very easily. (416 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

With this offering from Lakefront Brewery, the Fuel Cafe Coffee Stout, I had a 12oz bottle poured into a pint/nonic glass.

A - this beer has a gorgeous deep brown/brunette color to it. Poured a very lovely 1/2 head on top which actually stayed for a bit.

S - coffee, it smacks you in the face with it.

T - I mainly get coffee and malt on the palate, some hints of toffee and caramel with a vanilla bean type of finish.

M - full-bodied, but yet extrememly smooth and somewhat creamy. There really isn't any chewiness to it, you just know you're drinking a stout.

O - A most enjoyable offering from Lakefront, but I really love having my coffee in the morning and strong; therefore, it made complete sense that I enjoyed this stout. The infusion of coffee is a great coffee bean flavor without the bitterness. A must try if you're a stout lover. (848 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +28.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into pint glass
A: extremely thick pour. Beautiful and dark
S: Aromas of thick morning coffee and fresh espresso beans. its like stepping into my favorite coffee shop. Sweet malt
T: Straightforward espresso bean and mocha dominate the palate. Malts don't intrude too far in the way and it just lets the espresso do the talking. Absolutely refreshing for a coffee stout(never thought i'd say that)
M: Great level of pretty strong carbonation has a cleansing effect upon the palate make this also drinkable
O: this is an awesome espresso stout. I wish i could buy this by the case but since I'm huddled away in a whole in Montana this'll have to do. the most concentrated espresso flavor i've had yet in a beer. Good job lakefront, always a fan of your brews (763 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +27.8%

Appearance: Poured nicely; very dark (opaque), with a brownish head that dissapated moderately, but left a nice high ring around the edges. The beer's got legs!

Smell: Intense roastiness. Thinking the brewer sneaked in a little molasses, too, perhaps even nutmeg, as there's a sweet spice smell to balance the burnt and toasted notes.

Taste: Picking up where the smell left off--very roasty. Kicks better ass than a Starbuck's latte, though, as it's got a faint sweetness (lactose, perhaps?) added to it in the finish. No detectable hop character.

Mouthfeel: Good body, sustained roastiness through and through. No watered-down impressions left, but not cloying either. Well-built.

Drinkability: A good stout to enjoy by the fire on a cold night. A nice beer to sip, and probably one that would pair nicely with some Texas-style BBQ.

This is a nice stout made from the folks at Lakefront, who normally favor lagers in their repetoire. This stout, I presume made with ale yeast though finishing clean, gives dry stout lovers a beer to enjoy. Well done! (1,067 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +27.8%

Nice! Finally a coffee stout that tastes like, you guessed it, good coffee. Not the Dunkin Donuts coffee nor the watered-down, syrupy coffee, but honest-to-goodness, quality, roasted bean coffee. Was hesitant at first but found this a refreshing surprise. Would have liked the nose to be stronger, and you can't have too many of these as they are on the heavy side, but it packs a great deal of coffee flavor for just 6% ABV. (425 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +27.5%

A blend of Lakefront Stout and Fuel Cafe Alterra blend coffee, brewed with 2-row malted barley and 5 specialty grains. Part of a sampler pack from Lakefront.

Pours out to a clear, nearly opaque very dark mahogany when held up to torch light, forming a medium-sized dark tan/cinnamon tinted head with poor retention and mild lacing. The aroma is a dead ringer for Kzoo stout with that black walnut, bittersweet chocolate, roasted grain and coffee aroma. Aside from the poor retention and lacing, I would be unable to tell the difference between this and Kzoo stout based upon looks and aroma alone (this is a good thing!). The similarities end there, however as the mouthfeel is exceptionally thinner (medium-light bodied) with a touch more acidity and wooden astringency in the finish. Aside from that the taste is very similar to Bell's and an echo of the aroma. There is a brief metallic note in the middle, and the herbal hops are balanced nicely. Cleanly fermented with no off flavors.

This is nearly exactly like a thinner bodied version of Kzoo stout. I attribute the metallic note, thinner body, and astringency to the coffee used to brew this stuff. Considering how much coffee they must have used to thin this stuff down, I'm not appreciating a distinct coffee flavor like I would expect in a beer of this style. A good beer, but it needs more malt body and less coffee. I'll stick with my favorite instead:) (1,423 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I'm not typically a stout guy but I'm a big fan of coffee so this beer with its strong coffee flavor appeals to me. It's a solid beer all around and should be enjoyed by stout fans who like strong coffee flavors in their beer. (226 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +26.9%

12oz bottle

Part of a Lakefront Tasting held on 3/30/10

Pours a dark brown color with a small brown head. Lots of roasty grain, coffee grounds and cocoa in the nose. Medium/full bodied stout, light carbonation with great coffee flavor. Excellent drinkability a great almost sessionable offering in a style that is becoming very over crowded. (343 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +26.3%

I picked this up while I was in Milwaukee from Discount Liquors (That place is as cool as you've heard).

It'd been awhile since the last time I thought I'd had this, I couldn't remember it.

Poured it out of the bottle into my nice little Chalice/goblet (which I got from Discount Liquor as well).

Has a nice, dark tone about it.

The smell....oh, the smell. The first scent had me salivating. It was such a rich and full coffee smell.

And it tasted as good as it smelled. In fact, it tasted a little too good. After a bit, I had my brother try it out. He normally hates stouts, but he couldn't put this down (an avid coffee drinker).
We started wondering if this was even a bier, or just coffee made with carbonated water.
Absolutely one of the tastiest Coffee biers I've ever had.
Some coffee biers have just a hint of coffee, and that seems pointless to me. I love it when the coffee is a strong, robust flavor...well, because it's coffee! It's not a weak flavor to be relegated to the sidelines.

Was a very smooth, crisp drink. Went down nice, similar to a chilled coffee.

Drinkability is good and bad. I loved this bier, but it's a very flavorful coffee stout. I can see myself WANTING to drink several of these, but I can also see that fatiguing my palette VERY quickly. So, it's bad in that I could easily overindulge myself, and have a heavy belly of bier...which doesn't feel too nice...

Overall, this is a great bier for a brisk afternoon (don't drink it at night) or perhaps while I am doing something (like a hobby). Not sure if it was a coincidence, but I had it a bit late in the evening, and got to bed a few hours late... Overall, I enjoyed it quite well.

Not sure on the "vinegar" thing previously mentioned.
I imagine, more than other biers, this bier would be horrible if it's a bit old/skunky. Can't imagine the flavors/acid/oil of coffee would do wonders for a bier long-term.
Mine was fresh, maybe a month old or so...but I bought it right in Milwaukee, so.... (1,989 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +25.4%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A- Very nice, almost black with solid head that wanted to over take the glass.

S- This stuff smells very good. Coffee and more coffee and perhaps roasted malts

T- Solid flavor. Mostly like the scent, coffee, maybe some chocolate and roasted malt. Not as bitter as some coffee stouts I've had prior.

M- Fairly thick, moderate carbonation.

D- This is good, the best I've had from Lakefront so far. I could have this anytime. I got this in a variety pack from Lakefront in Alabama and I would buy again if I see it around Nashville. (570 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +24.5%

Bought in kansas enjoyed at home in okc.

Roasted aroma.

Very dry stout with some roasted coffee notes, extremely dry. Fair amount of hops for a stout. Lots of toastiness. Just a bit of tannins.

Medium body but bitterness prexominates. Interesting. (251 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +23.9%

Dark brown pour with minimal mocha head and retreats to the rim and lasts. Wispyness on the top.

The aroma steals the show here. First beer that came to mind was Peruvian Morning by Central Waters in all it's creamy chocolate goodness smattered with quality coffee as you would smell from a fresh ground bag.

Not as sweet as the aroma but I can appreciate the slightly bitter coffee with hints of dark chocolate. An artificial sweetener like aftertaste.

Mouthfeel thin for a stout and the carbonation holds well throughout. Lacking in the malt department. Coffee does linger well also.

I was Jonesing for a coffee stout tonight and wanting something new so I bought this. I got home, saw the score and became disappointed immediately but jumped in with an open mind. IMO this brew is soooo underrated. This is a straight forward, no frills, no nonsense coffee brown, although it claims stout. Only two things hold this back for me-one is the sweetener aftertaste and the other is the thin structure, but hey, neither bother me. This you can literally have in the morning and get a nice buzz to carry you-if you were inclined to do so. Hell, Mikkeller could put this brew in bourbon barrels for a week and sell this for about 6 bucks @ 12oz and receive accolades-I think you get my point. This Fuel Cafe sixpack is at a great price, a Mikkellerish like coffee stout (c'mon some of those overrated), Peruvian Morning aroma, not infected make this a click to pick! (1,467 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +23.9%

Deep mohagany color with a capuccino head that dissipates quickly. Good lacing left behind. Roasty aroma. More stout like than coffeeish. Smokey and a touch sweet. Coffee smell seems to be more remnant of malt used than actual coffee. But I still really like the smokey characteristics of it. Taste has more coffee present in a quality made stout. This is no Breakfast Stout, or Java Stout, but it has its place. Solid coffee backing, touch of smoke, good amount of sweetness. Caramel frappucino-ish. An enjoyable beer. Very drinkable. (535 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +23.3%

The pour produces three+ fingers of frothed creme head, just like you would expect to see sitting on top of your espresso. It is almost gone in ten minutes but leaves great lacing. The beer is opaque black. The nose is chocolate, sugar, and faint hop.

The taste creeps onto the tounge and leads with a bitter, roasted, almost metallic flavor which goes to a milky sweetness followed by just a second of hop bitter, and then a chocolatey sweet finish. Though a wonderful roasted character is maintained throughout, I've had many stouts which did not refer to themselves as "coffee stout" and tasted much more like coffee. The coffee issue aside, this is one of the best damn stouts I've ever had.

The mouthfeel loses points for being rather stingy in the beginning, but a bout halfway through the pint that fizzled out to reveal something more pleasant. Quite drinkable none the less, especially for such a flavorful beer. (929 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +23.3%

Gorgeous light brown head atop a black body poured from this one, kept a bit of head throughout and ok lacing. Smell hit pretty well, with the definite roast coffee and chocolate and malts up front.

Taste is bitter roast, just how I like my coffee to taste in the morning. Good aftertaste that lingers making you want more. Gets more pronounced on the palate as it warms. Mouthfeel is fairly medium, or even thin for a stout, making it very drinkable.

Dry, bitter, and roasty, not very sticky like other coffee/chocolate stouts I've had. A good cheap buy - a very tasty and not lacking brew! (593 characters)

Fuel Cafe (Coffee Flavored Stout) from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.