1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Fuel Cafe (Coffee Flavored Stout) - Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

Fuel Cafe (Coffee Flavored Stout)Fuel Cafe (Coffee Flavored Stout)

Lakefront Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Stout |  6.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Winter on 02-26-2002)
3.4/5  rDev +0.9%

Recieved in a trade from StLThrash. Thanks for sending this brew my way! Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Deschutes tulip...

A - Pours a rich, dark brown color, letting no light show through this one. A 1 finger light brown head fades rather quickly leaving some descent lacing.

S - Coffee, but that's obvious. Having a hard time pulling any other smells besides that tho...

T - Roasty coffee is leading this one, as it should be. Other flavors lead to a chocolate and hazelnut. A slight bitter hoppy finish.

M - Medium, almost creamy mouthfeel. Real good carbonation.

O - A good coffee stout, but not as bold as I like my stouts to be. I guess for a 6% beer, that's to be expected. Still, a good beer.

3.3/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a wine glass.

A - pours a nice black color, appears a bit viscous, not much head at all. Doesn't stick around and leaves a small collar. Tan head.

S - big coffee smell, obviously, with some dark chocolate and roasted malt.

T - Again, coffee and chocolate, but a strong bitter taste in their as well. Ok, but not great.

M - medium bodied, not a lot of carbonation. Not quite flat. I would have like a little bit more here.

O - overall, ok. Maybe I just don't dig coffee stouts, but I was a bit disappointed by this.

3.78/5  rDev +12.2%

I know, I know ... What's the deal with the (supposedly) unstoppable CANQuest (TM)? This is a mere pit stop to empty out the BeerFrigerator of some of the aged/aging stuff that got thrown in there and abandoned/forgotten about in the hurly-burly of life. Is it bad if the last time that I can remember drinking this beer was our impromptu tailgate before the Stillers/Vikes game on 18 Dec 2005 (today is 23 June 2011)? Whoops!

The label was notched "June/Week 4", so let's call this six year-old beer. And by gum, it stood up well. I got a rocky finger of deep-brown head with limited retention. Color was a deep brown with only cola highlights at the edges. Nose was still rich with French Roast coffee notes. Very dark, very roasty, very coffee-like. I even got some dark chocolate in there as it warmed. Mouthfeel was not quite creamy, but close and the favor had begun to take on a (probably unintended) sourness to accompany the bitterness. It was not overwhelming, but it should be kept in mind if you want to age this beer. Finish was quite bitter, like my morning coffee. As a retired US Navy sailor, I drank my share of bitter coffee. We used to try everything, from ground cinnamon to salt, but when you are making massive amounts in a stainless steel machine, bitter is the name of the game. This had that same bitterness and all I need now is a doughnut, two eggs over easy and some grits and I'll be right at home.

3.85/5  rDev +14.2%

I picked this up during my weekend in BG, so notes are very recent.

Fuel Cafe is a thick, inky black in color. A creamy head one finger tall sustains itself for some time, and lacing is quite good.
The aroma is, naturally, malt-heavy, with notes of roast and coffee grounds.
The flavor offers more. It's lightly sweet with a barley-like malts backbone that's plenty roasty. Coffee is the key here and is allowed to stand out, and each sip leads to a gentle citric hops twang in the finish.
The body seems appropriately full, though not particularly heavy. It seems to thin out a little as it goes. Carbonation is light but allows for a creamy smoothness to come out nicely, but a prickly feel detracts somewhat.
This is a good example of a coffee stout and one to try.

3.48/5  rDev +3.3%

Fuel Cafe pours a very dark brown with a head that doesn't stick around for too long. Based off of the smell alone you can tell there are more than just hints of coffee. Upon tasting, the burnt coffee notes were present along with a bit of a chocolate taste. The mouthfeel was surprisingly watery for a stout. I think this was a good beer, but not the greatest example of a stout.

3.43/5  rDev +1.8%

Mud colored with a low head of off-white foam that rises up nearly not at all and then settles out to a few soapy bubbles.

Aroma of dark malt and diner-style breakfast coffee, notes of cocoa. The flavor overall fairly matches the aroma. Mild bitterness. Mouthfeel is a bit slick, semi-watery, finishes dry and tannic. Tasty but nothing special.

2.88/5  rDev -14.5%

A - dark body, hint of red through the edges, unimpressive tan head, quickly dissipating.

S - Bitter coffee, good coffee smell.

T - Pretty sweet, bland malt. This is disappointing. The nose is really good, but you don't get much of that coffee on the tongue. It's just some nondescript malt sweetness, and not much of that, even.

M - A bit thin for a stout, but its smooth.

O (D) - well, it's better than Guinness...

2.53/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Pours a dark brown color with an ok tan head. Head is gone pretty quick and leaves very little lacing.

S- Smells of brown sugar, roasted malts, and very little coffee. Very disappointed in the amount of coffee here.

T- A little sweeter than expected. A very light taste of coffee, roasted malts, and a bit of Earthy hops.

M- Light in body and carbonation. Almost watery.

O- Not very impressive. I will not be seeking this one out.

2.98/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a mug.

This brew pours a deep brown with a finger of mocha colored head that quickly recedes. The aroma is nice, coffee, chocolate, roasted malts, it's fairly standard but done well. The taste isn't nearly as nice as the nose, instead it comes on with coffee and not too much else. This wouldn't be a bad thing if the coffee were more assertive, but instead it comes and goes, leaving some weak watery maltiness behind.

The mouthfeel is surely a bit thin for a stout, however the weakness of the mouthfeel almost works with the weakness of the flavors, so I can't dock it too much. The creaminess is fairly nice. The drinkability is fairly good. This almost reminded me of a Guinness draught with the coffee flavor amped up. Personally, I like my stouts a bit thicker and with more flavor, but I could see this having it's fans.

3.63/5  rDev +7.7%

Visual: Pours black, no head, ring of froth around edge of pint glass (tan in color), some lacing.

Nose: Choclate, coffee, smoke, wood

Taste: Fairly sweet. Chocolate, honey, sweet alcohol, coffee spiciness, lemongrass, caramel. Not much goin on for the after taste, maybe a bit of tin.

Mouth: milky texture in yo mouth. subtle carbonation

Drunkability: Not bad, not great. I am back and forth on whether or not I feel like the taste is satisfying. It does seem rather filling. I guess I would take a 32 oz of one of these for a meal.

2.93/5  rDev -13.1%

A-Pours a very dark brown with a small beige head that disappeared immediately and left only hints of wispy lace.

S-A bit astringent is the first thing that pops into my head as I take a deep whiff. Aside from the astringent aspects, roasted malt is there along with hints of coffee and black licorice,thats about it. A few more deep whiffs... and its just a very average nose.

T-Roasted malt, some lactic notes, bitter coffee comes in the middle and finish, hints of dark chocolate. Many of the usual suspects are here, they're just not working together here for some reason. Its not bad, just nothing that makes me want to have another.

M-Thin and watery with a harsh carb bite that is too high for the style. Mouthfeel really detracts from this beer for me.

O-A very average beer...run of the mill...mundane...mediocre...fair to middling...dime a dozen...well, you get the idea.

2.73/5  rDev -19%

A - Pours dark black with some redish/brown hues noticeable on the edges. An aggressive pour only yields a one finger head that falls quickly leaving the slightest hint of lacing behind.

S - A nice, sweet aroma with noticeable coffee and toffee present. Dark roasted malts and some biscuit on the nose with roasted coffee beans and chocolate coming through.

T - Strong coffee flavors and bitter sweet chocolate. Not a whole lot else going on here. Kinda waiting to find some more flavors that i think i should be tasting, but obviously missing.

M - Fairly thin and a tad over carbonated for me. I feel like for the style i could use a bit more body. It goes down smoothly and doesn't finish overly dry.

O - Overall a decent coffee stout. Not the best i have had, but definitely not the worst. At $1.99 for a 12oz bottle i can think of many beers i would rather spend my hard earned dollars on.

3.7/5  rDev +9.8%

I bought a Lakefront 8-pack variety from Woodman's in Janesville, WI for about $11 in Fall 2010.

Pours a very dark brown color with a little head but vanishes quickly. Has that strong stout scent with coffee and cocoa being the most noticable. Has a smooth semi creamy taste to it and finishes with a strong coffee aftertaste. Not too bad especially since I don't care for coffee, but could use a little work on it's aftertaste.

2.93/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours a deep black, with small head and no lace.

Aroma is coffee. Not much else here. Maybe a hint of mocha, but really it's straight coffee.

Taste follows this lead. Very coffee, with a hint of cocoa. I get very little complexity here. Suffice to say, if you like coffee, this one may appeal. Otherwise, Fuel Cafe isn't something I'd seek out.

3.63/5  rDev +7.7%

I poured from a 12oz bottle in a goblet. It was a dark brown with a thin light brown head. The lacing was lacking for what I like in a stout.

The aroma doesnt initially come off as a coffee stout, it has more of a sweeter chocolaty aroma. The roasty coffee aroma does come through but not as much as you would expect.

After the initial smell you are lead to believe you will get a sweeter taste and you do. Its more of a milk chocolate stout then a coffee stout.

This beer has a very light mouthfeel with moder carbonation. It definitely dissapoints for a coffee infused beer. However, this is still a good beer, not to be ruined by its "as advertised" name. I would recommend drinking this beer with an open mind

3.43/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Cigar City pint glass. it poured dark brown in color with a modest tan head barely covering the top of it.

The aroma has a sweeter, milk stout like quality to it with some lactose showing through. I get more milky chocolate to it than I do the coffee. I little bit of the roasty, bitter flavors of the coffee poke through through.

The taste also has a sweeter, milk stout character to it right off the bat. Like the nose, I get some lactose as well as milk chocolate in it. I get some lighter, roasty and bitter coffee flavors that start to come in towards the finish. The coffee flavors are very light for a coffee beer though.

The mouthfeel is on the lighter side for the style, and carbonation is moderate. Overall, it wasn't one of my favorite coffee infused beers, but it was a decent American/milk stout. Easy drinking, slightly sweet, with some decent chocolate flavors.

2.75/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle label is notched as December, Week 4. Poured into a Duvel tulip. Deep black body with a small mocha head. The head dissipates fairly quickly and leaves no lacing.

The aroma is dominated by chocolate, coffee, and backed up by a little roasted malt. A hint of tangy hops lingers in the background.

The flavor is very similar to the aroma, but comes across as a little more sweet. Chocolate milk and smoke are present but with less of the coffee in the flavor than I would have expected from the aroma.

The mouthfeel seems way too thin for a stout in my opinion. Overall, the flavors don't mix very well. The aroma I described as tangy hops in the background almost seems sour in the flavor. I think a few changes are needed to make this a better brew.

3.4/5  rDev +0.9%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

I remember thoroughly enjoying this brew during my days in NoVa, so I'm looking forward to having it again today. It pours a bleakly murky black-brown topped by a finger of sandy ecru foam. The nose comprises coffee, dark chocolate, light roasted malts, and a touch of straight dry malt extract. Not really sure what to think of that last one, frankly. The taste focuses on the coffee, though now it is more sour/astringent than dark/roasty. The dark chocolate returns, along with a beefed-up measure of roasted malts, and the DME seems to have dropped out (though I'm not terribly surprised about that), but everything seems to be dwarfed by the sharp coffee. It's definitely not a train wreck, but it's also definitely not something I would call genuinely enjoyable. The body is a sleek medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slightly dry finish. Overall, a pretty solid coffee stout, but the astringency of the coffee is a bit much and keeps this brew from ascending to the heights of greatness.

3.18/5  rDev -5.6%

I received this as a gift - part of the beer of the month club.

12 ounce bottle poured into a New Belgium globe glass. Had a notch in the label - brewed December, Week 4.

A - Dark with very little if any head whatsoever. No lacing at all.

S - Roasted coffee, toasted malts, sour chocolate flavor?

T & M - Very light body for a stout. OK carbonation. Starts bitter, finishes sweet. Leaves you dry.

D - Not a strong stout, pretty easy to drink. Just an 'OK' effort.

3.45/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured into a tulip, this is a dark amber-brown -black to the eye- and topped with a rather dark tan head. Head is uniform and covers the entire surface of the beer for a good couple of minutes, and lacing is excellent - a better than average beer on first glance.

Nose is somewhat roasty, with notes of pungent espresso and sweet malt, along with an acrid bitterness that I've encountered in this beer in the past, and some others which have used coffee as a flavoring agent.

Sweet and lightly-tangy on the first sip, there's not a great deal of coffee up-front, but in emerges gradually toward the end of the palate. Roasted malt and coffee notes mingle nicely and indeed, as I recall from past visits this is a fairly mellow, easy-drinking take on the coffee stout phenomenon. There's a slight lactic quality to the beer, and I can certainly appreciate this without wondering if any lactose/milk sugar was used. There's also a fairly nice bitter-sweet quality throughout, reminiscent of a milk chocolate (see EDIT) -- perhaps Fuel Cafe Coffee Stout drinks better as it ages? I am gonna take that bet and pick up another couple of bottles, if not a six!

Mouthfeel is at least average for the style, and the drinkability is good.

Altogether this is a solid if not exceptional take on the style.

Note: If rated as a Stout I'd say that this one is a tad thin in terms of body, but I reckon that's a common complaint of most flavored stouts.

EDIT: I just noticed the -proprietary- Lakefront date code notched onto the side of the label, and this beer is easily six months past its bottling date. In other words, this beer wasn;t fresh, but held-up VERY well. Better than I remember it, in fact, and as such I have adjusted my score.

3.55/5  rDev +5.3%

Not a huge fan of coffee infused beers, but I'll give this'n a try:

This brew pours decent enough, with a couple fingers thick tan head, and has a black colored body but shows off reddish hues on the edge of my glass when held up to light.

In the aroma it's mostly a blend of coffee and metallic fragrances.

The taste shares pretty much the same qualities as the aroma, but has an additional nutty note.

Has a fair amount of carbonation and is dry upfront to the end. This brew actually isn't too bad for the additional coffee, so be it.

3.73/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured into Samuel Adams Perfect Pint.

A: pours a deep black color slight short lived dark tan head.

S: strong dark malts.

T: Tastes similar to, but in my opinion not as good as Surly's Coffee Bender.

D/M: The first drink was pretty good then everyone after that seemed to go down hill. But overall I would never turn one down.

3.2/5  rDev -5%

12 oz bottle at 50 degrees into a snifter.

A: It pours an opaque black color with a very thin khaki head that is gone faster than it arrived.

S: Smoky bacon, sour dark fruits, and some background coffee.

T: Light coffee with cream, sour dark fruits that turn lightly sweet, and smoked ham late.

M: It has an oily, slick body that is moderately thick and is a bit sticky.

D: A coffee should be centered around (get ready for it)...COFFEE. Instead, this tastes more like a rauchbier-mild porter blend.

3.63/5  rDev +7.7%

Picked this up a week or so back since I hadn't seen anything like this on the market and it's been cold enough here for this type of beer. Although it wasn't as thick as I envisioned, this was a decent brew for the winter months and nowhere near as heavy as the other Stouts I've had recently.

Very dark pour to this along with a chocolate-like brown head that was fluffy, although not that long-lasting. Still kept this hue as I held it up to the light. As I said before, the mouthfeel was a bit light both in body and carbonation with notes of roasted coffee, espresso, and chocolate. This went down surprisingly easy without much of an aftertaste and the coffee went well with this style of beer.

The fact that the ABV% was relatively low reinforced the notion that this was a good marriage of different flavors and styles. It would have been a bit more bold but for a winter beer that's dark and doesn't have any hint of alcohol in the taste, this is a good choice. It won't be replacing my drink at Starbucks but it's certainly worthy to have as dessert on a cold winter's night!

3.73/5  rDev +10.7%

Another offering from my BOTM subscription. Poured into my snifter and allowed to warm to ~50 degrees before I began reviewing.

The pour produces a jet-black body that produces on a thin layer of dark brown, even when held right up to the light. A creamy espresso colored head forms and bubbles up to one finger in depth. The head dissipates quickly, leaving only a ring of foam around the beer/glass interface. However, this does not lead to any notable lacing.

Coffee is obviously the dominant aroma. However, it is less one-dimensional than one might think at first scent. There are also notes charred wood, bitter dark chocolate, and some earthy hop character. The flavor is very similar to the aroma, though the over-roasted/burnt flavors come through a bit more heavily on top of the delicious roast coffee. I find that the coffee has a very natural flavor, and if it hadn't been overshadowed by the roasted barley, it would have really made this a great coffee stout. The potency of the acrid flavors do detract from the general palate of Fuel Cafe. The bitter chocolate slips in and out briefly, and the beer finishes with that burnt wood flavor.

Overall, a bit too carbonated on the palate, as the fizz takes some of the texture away from an otherwise well-bodied brew. This is a fairly decent coffee stout, and I wouldn't hesitate to drink it again, though a bit more coffee and a good amount less roast will really do a lot for it.

Fuel Cafe (Coffee Flavored Stout) from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.