Fuel Cafe (Coffee Flavored Stout) - Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

Fuel Cafe (Coffee Flavored Stout)Fuel Cafe (Coffee Flavored Stout)

Lakefront Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Stout |  6.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Winter on 02-26-2002)
koopa

3.53/5  rDev +5.1%

Bottle received as an extra in a trade (perhaps with brian23456)

Appearance: Pours a murky brown with honey folds and a minimal off white crown.

Smell: Fiarly roasty malt (almost smokey) with lots of non-bitter coffee.

Taste: Lightly roasted smokey malt with a hint of burnt caramel sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and a touch syrupy with slightly prickly carbonation.

Drinkability: Btw the taste and the mouthfeel I'm not wanting to drink more.

02-07-2010 19:30:15 | More by koopa
generalnotsew

Tennessee

3.6/5  rDev +7.1%

A: Looks as good as any RIS I have seen. Nice solid black color and pretty good head.

S: Sweet chocolaty malts. I am really not getting the coffee in this one. Still smells pretty good but I have to take off points for the lack of coffee in the coffee stout.

T: Weird. Tastes kind of like a Lager with some Folgers in it. I mean it really tastes like a Lager with a bit of coffee. I don't know whether I like it or not. Hard to explain. Tastes fine to me though. Just not what I expected.

M: Far too thin. It is really lacking in this department.

D: Well at least it is a very drinkable stout if you can call it a stout. This is like a weird hybrid.

This stuff is alright but I will stick to my RIS from now on. If I want low volume stouts I will but Samuels Smiths Oatmeal Stout.

02-07-2010 07:59:53 | More by generalnotsew
mgbickel

3.1/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured into a standard pint glass. Formed a thick 2 finger tweed colored head. The foam receded down to a sliver thin layer of bubbles, leaving no signs of life behind. The body is thick and solid...classic "motor oil" stout-esque. Little floaters zip in and out of view...

The nose surprised me. I was expecting a big coffee hit, but I am detecting milk chocolate up front. The java is there, but more in the background. The backbone is sweet and roasty malts.

Sweet malts hit the tongue first. This gives way to a bitter coffee finish. The aftertaste has roasted malts. The taste is a little muted throughout...

The mouth feel is medium and oily with mild carbonation.

Drinkable, but not a great example of the style. There are many other coffee stouts I would grab before this one.

02-04-2010 14:20:25 | More by mgbickel
ktrillionaire

2.8/5  rDev -16.7%

A – Pours near perfect, dark coffee brown, thick tan head. No lacing though.

S – Unexpected (slight) aromas: root beer float, Band-aid, cherry cough syrup. Other than that, it is a boring basic stout.

T – Tastes better than the smell, but not too much like coffee and I’m not crazy about the mouthfeel either. Overall it is kinda like a Guinness Draught, but inferior.

M – As mentioned, not so good. Thin, flat, blahhh…

D – I am not stoked on this at all.

01-16-2010 18:07:51 | More by ktrillionaire
stakem

3.18/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours a dark brown color with a finger of darkly tanned head. Head receeds fairly fast with a sizzling sound as the bubbles burst. Aroma has a very strong chocolate scent that is reminding me of chocolate syrup. It is surprising how chocolately the aroma is and subsequently the taste as well. I thought this was suppose to be a coffee stout, not chocolate? Body and feel of this beer is quite thin and a little watery...the carb level is moderate. As the beer warms, some coffee character comes through but not as dominant as the chocolate. Slight hop character in the nose and a little bitter coffee taste in the finish.

To summerize: I like stout and I like black coffee. Both of them together sounds great; this beer was not. I had this beer more than a year ago and thought it was wonderful, not so thrilled this time around.

01-14-2010 22:55:52 | More by stakem
donniecuffs

2.98/5  rDev -11.3%

Into a pint glass: poured black with two fingers of brown head, with fairly good lacing. The smell consisted of coffee beans, brown sugar, oak, and seemingly a hint of whiskey (?). The flavor was certainly lacking; earthiness, oak, and surprisingly little coffee relative to the aroma. Semi-dry finish, and dry afterwards. Medium-bodied, with more carbonation than expected. Too flavor-less for me to session.

01-14-2010 05:54:24 | More by donniecuffs
blackearth

3.53/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours a midnight black body with a thick, dark tan head, that eventually falls to a cap. Aromas of coffee, cream and vanilla. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low to medium carbonation. Flavor is dominated by bitter roast coffee that gives way to a dark roasted malt character with a slightly sweet aftertaste. I've remembered this being better in the past, but this bottle may be a bit passed it's prime.

01-07-2010 18:44:53 | More by blackearth
Vancer

3.23/5  rDev -3.9%

Deep mahogany brown with a tan head into my Heritage festival taster glass.

Roasted coffee dominates this coffee stout, of course. Donno why some reviewers are put off by this factor. Even some chocolate malt to the mix, adding to the aroma and the quaff - but in a small magnitude. Not enough to really push this up the ladder and into better grades. Not a bad tasting brew, just on the weak side.

Seems to be a decent "small" alcohol stout, but the price of $10 detracts from the drinkability of this brew. An average brew with a high dollar price tag.

12-30-2009 22:13:36 | More by Vancer
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

3.28/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured into Darkness snifter

Pours a half finger of tan head that fades down very fast to a ring around the edge of the glass. Leaves a slight amount of lace. Color is a deep black.

Aroma: Espresso, chocolate, and coffee. Lots of roasted malts and earthy hops. Some syrupy caramel notes as well.

Taste: Lots of sharp coffee with bright earthy hops. Chocolate and roasted malts as well. Some caramel in the background. I also got some raisins and cherries.The taste seems to be a little light. It is good, but needs to be bigger for a stout.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, bubbly, and a tad crisp. Very roasted feel to it. A medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends dry with a roasted malt aftertaste.

Overall, this beer has potential, but it is just too light. I loved the aroma, but then I got to the taste and it was just didn't pack the punch I was expecting. Still, fairly decent.

12-27-2009 02:19:43 | More by mothman
aaronh

2.68/5  rDev -20.2%

Very dark brown body with a thin off white head that fades quickly to nothing. Aroma is a coffee note tinged with lemon. Slight acrid notes push through as well. On the palate, the smoky, coffee flavor takes on almost a meaty quality. There are touches of malt sweetness, hints of slight sourness as well, almost like a small amount of sour-mash wash used. Mouthfeel is rather light, carbonation is slightly prickly. Drinkability is OK. More malt, less sour mash would be appreciated here. All in all, on average beer.

12-20-2009 21:54:59 | More by aaronh
Soneast

2.4/5  rDev -28.6%

Pours a black color, with a 1/2 inch light brown colored head that recedes to a fairly dense layer leaving a good amount of lace on the glass.

The aroma has some roasted qualities, with a touch of smokiness, chocolate and an odd sourness to it. Overall, this doesn't actually smell like coffee, though.

The flavor consists of a mild smokiness, but the roasted qualities are kept to a minimum. Not much chocolate, and that odd sourness is back in the flavor profile. Almost reminds me of cowboy coffee, actually, which often has a certain "sourness" to it. I just wish there was more roasted character in the beer. The finish is watery with pretty much no bitterness.

I'm not sure what to make of this beer. For a stout, the body is quite light and watery and it really doesn't have many characteristics that I associate with stout, namely bitter chocolate and roasted flavors. I guess I just expected this to smell and taste more like....well, coffee. The beer is not bad by any means....just odd.

12-19-2009 00:32:21 | More by Soneast
feelmefoam

South Carolina

3.38/5  rDev +0.6%

Pours a dark, opaque black with about an inch of leathery tan colored head pushing to the top of the glass. Not a lot of lacing to go with the head, still a nice looking stout though.

I really can't appreciate any coffee in the nose, which makes this seem a bit like false advertising. Still, I can sense roasted malts, some smokiness, and a little bit of earthiness. This nose lacks power, though.

The taste is good, but still absent of anything really resembling coffee. Smoky, roasted malts all over the place, some lightly bitter chocolate, and maybe the smallest hint of coffee. Also, as it warms, a bit of acidic sour flavor creeps into the background. Good, but needs more coffee flavor to be marketed as a coffee stout.

Pretty thin mouthfeel for a stout. I like to have a pretty big, thick mouthfeel on stouts, and this is really only a medium-light body with some minimal carbonation. Just ok.

Still in all, a pretty drinkable stout that tastes pretty good if you weren't expecting a lot of coffee flavor. The biggest flaws were the aroma and mouthfeel, for me. Not bad, though.

12-07-2009 23:53:40 | More by feelmefoam
cbutova

3.35/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a pitch black color with a one finger dark tan head that retains decently. I am getting no lacing on my clean beer glass. Smells and tastes of roasted malts, sweetness, and some chocolate and coffee. The coffee is really light and not what I was expecting. It has some coffee bitterness to it. I get some sour to it and it is confusing me, not good in a stout. Mouthfeel is pretty light for a stout but the carbonation is good and there is some creaminess to it. Drinkability is alright, the price was good and the flavor is not bad. Not really sure if Ill have this one again.

12-05-2009 00:50:17 | More by cbutova
chickencoop

3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Picked it up in a Lakefront sampler pack and this was one of the better ones. This is a very candy like, sweet stout that reminds me of the Old 38 stout. Pours a deep dark brown, almost black, overflowing tan head. Smell was a very strong coffee with a ton of sugar, McCafe like. This a better beer but not the best, pretty simple. But since this is a small micro in NorCal, big ups to that for getting out here.

12-03-2009 03:25:56 | More by chickencoop
morimech

2.78/5  rDev -17.3%

Pours a dark brown color with a large tan head that had good retention. Moderate amount of lacing is left on the glass. Not much going on in the aroma or flavor department that tells me this is a coffee infused beer. A little roasted malt in the aroma with notes of chocolate. The flavor reminds me of a straight stout and not that good of one. Some roasted malt and that about sums things up. On the sweeter side. The body is on the thin side. This beer has a severe lack of depth in many departments. Not many positives in this beer and not much reason to drink again.

11-26-2009 13:18:39 | More by morimech
drizzam

3.15/5  rDev -6.3%

A - Poured with a tan fluffy 1/2 finger head. The head dissipates pretty quickly, leaving little to no lacing. The beer is an opaque brown/black.

S - Nice bitter chocolate and coffee combination. Roasted malts are also present in the nose.

T & M - The coffee taste seems to be missing here...there is some, but it's rather on the light side, which is kind of disappointing. More of a sweet malty taste. The beer is light bodied...too light for a stout. I guess I expect more from my coffee stouts.

D - Not a terrible beer, but it's far from the level I expect from a good coffee stout. I had high hopes, which were dashed. Sorry Lakefront...just not my idea of a good American Stout.

11-25-2009 22:25:16 | More by drizzam
mdcrouser

3.2/5  rDev -4.8%

Folling a pint of Founders Breakfast Stout last night, I'm not sure this beer has much of a chance to stand up, but we'll give it a shot.

On the pour, it's chocolate brown, but when it condenses in the glass, it is nearly black. Very little head remains here - a simple circle of carbonation rings with top of the glass.

Pretty simple on the nose - it smells like cold, black coffee that's been stirred with a licorice swizzle stick - and while that's a great smell, there's little else here.

Like cold, carbonated, alcohol-laden, fresh-roasted coffee, with just a touch of sweetness.

Dry, bitter, and a little syrupy in the mouth. Sparkling carbonation stings on the tongue just a bit.

Drinkable, but there are definitely better, more well-developed choices out there.

11-19-2009 04:38:46 | More by mdcrouser
BedetheVenerable

3.48/5  rDev +3.6%

Presentation: 12oz brown pop top with nice coffee-themed label; bottled-on freshness date notched

Appearance: Slightly hazy dark brown beer, cola-like, twinged with garnet at the edges; just a bit of light gets through when held up to the light. Capped with a big dark tan head which soon fades to a thick film.

Smell: Lots of dark, roasted chocolate, dry roasted grain, and light mocha notes; lighter than some coffee stouts, but still pretty nice

Taste: Some dry woodsy smoke, lots of juicy dark fruit, dark caramel malts, and just a hint of light roasty coffee. Less roasted grains than I was expecting; This is fairly fruity initially and the roastiness comes through on the finish. Mild coffee flavors on the finish as well. Overall, a "light on the coffee" coffee stout.

Mouthfeel: Light, a bit too light for the style IMO

Drinkability: Medium to medium-high

Conclusion: A simple, fairly tasty coffee stout that does not offend; that's really its only downfall; there's not enough to make it memorable...did pair nicely with some good dark chocolate, however.

11-12-2009 02:03:46 | More by BedetheVenerable
birchstick

Colorado

2.65/5  rDev -21.1%

A - pours dark black with a very small head.

S - smells of coffee, coffee, coffee. Very one-dimensional in that aspect.

T - the taste follows the nose. It tasted of coffee with a metallic taste on the finish. Again, not too much going on with this one.

M - full and smoothh

D - this is a decent stout. Good coffee flavors, but not much depth to it. Not bad, but nothing too extraordinary.

11-07-2009 20:09:05 | More by birchstick
mandoskippy

1.98/5  rDev -41.1%

I picked this up as part of Lakefront Brewery Sampler Pack. To be honest, I was very disapointed in this beer. The coffee stout is one of my favorite beers, however, this speciman was thin and coffee flavored rather than coffee "brewed" I think you coffee stout lovers know what I mean.

A: Very little head and carbonation, pretty flat coffee color.

S: It smelled like coffee, but not complex coffee, more a folgers smell.

T: It really didn't do it for me. The coffee was like and addon flavor to a very thin stout rather than a integral part of this beer.

M: Thin thin thin. I can not endorse an American Stout that seems so thin.

D: This was pretty easy to drink, but that's not what I am looking for a in a style like a coffee stout. I want rich, complex, not thin and "pound them back".

11-06-2009 02:04:09 | More by mandoskippy
Tone

3.91/5  rDev +16.4%

Pours a dark black color. One and one half inch head of a tan color. Great retention and good lacing. Smells of roasted malt, coffee, sweet malt, hops, and slight alcohol. Fits the style of an American Stout. Mouth feel is smooth and sharp with an average carbonation level. Tastes of coffee, roasted malt, sweet malt, hint of oatmeal, hops, and slight alcohol. Overall, good appearance, aroma, and blend.

10-28-2009 02:34:59 | More by Tone
endincolorado

3.58/5  rDev +6.5%

Appearance- Thick, black body with red-brown highlights. Nice, tan head with decent lace.

Smell- Some coffee and roast. Strange light crisp (almost minty) aroma lingers in back.

Taste- Again, malt and coffee, but with a crisper, more bitter edge than usual for the style. Good, but maybe too much hop presence- not enough coffee.

Mouthfeel- Medium body- a little unsatisfying.

Drinkability- though I was a little disappointed in this as far as coffee stouts go, I might pick it up to have around for it's drinkability.

10-12-2009 23:47:06 | More by endincolorado
Goldfish19

2.83/5  rDev -15.8%

~ Purchased this 12 oz bottle from New Beer Distributors in Manhattan, NY. This beer pours black with a healthy tan head that diminishes quickly. The aroma I get out of this is chocolate, followed by hints of coffee and roasted malts. Taste is slightly sourish, and I did not really pick out any of the coffee. For a stout, the body is a little on the thin side. Overall, this is an interesting beer (interesting in a weird sort of way). Thank God for the Mix-a-Six! ~

10-06-2009 01:23:04 | More by Goldfish19
TheSSG

4.18/5  rDev +24.4%

I picked this up while I was in Milwaukee from Discount Liquors (That place is as cool as you've heard).

It'd been awhile since the last time I thought I'd had this, I couldn't remember it.

Poured it out of the bottle into my nice little Chalice/goblet (which I got from Discount Liquor as well).

Has a nice, dark tone about it.

The smell....oh, the smell. The first scent had me salivating. It was such a rich and full coffee smell.

And it tasted as good as it smelled. In fact, it tasted a little too good. After a bit, I had my brother try it out. He normally hates stouts, but he couldn't put this down (an avid coffee drinker).
We started wondering if this was even a bier, or just coffee made with carbonated water.
Absolutely one of the tastiest Coffee biers I've ever had.
Some coffee biers have just a hint of coffee, and that seems pointless to me. I love it when the coffee is a strong, robust flavor...well, because it's coffee! It's not a weak flavor to be relegated to the sidelines.

Was a very smooth, crisp drink. Went down nice, similar to a chilled coffee.

Drinkability is good and bad. I loved this bier, but it's a very flavorful coffee stout. I can see myself WANTING to drink several of these, but I can also see that fatiguing my palette VERY quickly. So, it's bad in that I could easily overindulge myself, and have a heavy belly of bier...which doesn't feel too nice...

Overall, this is a great bier for a brisk afternoon (don't drink it at night) or perhaps while I am doing something (like a hobby). Not sure if it was a coincidence, but I had it a bit late in the evening, and got to bed a few hours late... Overall, I enjoyed it quite well.

Not sure on the "vinegar" thing previously mentioned.
I imagine, more than other biers, this bier would be horrible if it's a bit old/skunky. Can't imagine the flavors/acid/oil of coffee would do wonders for a bier long-term.
Mine was fresh, maybe a month old or so...but I bought it right in Milwaukee, so....

09-24-2009 17:18:12 | More by TheSSG
RomaniIteDomum

1.55/5  rDev -53.9%

I've read a few reviews for this beer and it seems that the problems I found in my bottle were common enough to warrant a rating pending a re-rate. Label says bottled on week 2 of July. Presumably this year, with this beer I'm not too sure.

Appearance straight from the bottle was very nice. It was a pitch black with a nice mocha head that disappeared almost as soon as it formed. I waited a few minutes to drink and sediment appeared throughout the beer in lieu of carbonation. Disconcerting. It's disappointing to look at a beer and be able to say, "I'm not going to drink that."

Ok, it smells mostly good. Nice coffee tones, some chocolate, and... what's this?... who's the asshat that put vinegar in my beer? This can't be good.

The taste is like the smell, only minus the coffee and chocolate. Even then I've had vinegar that tasted better straight.

In the mouth this feels like a watery mess. Carbonated cheap vinegar. I have vinegar in my kitchen with more body and character.

Maybe with some olive oil this could make a passable salad dressing? Eh, probably not. Let's just hope it doesn't cause too much damage to my plumbing. Drinkability, no. I don't think I've even had a macro this bad. Anyone have a "normal" bottle??

09-06-2009 17:12:02 | More by RomaniIteDomum
Fuel Cafe (Coffee Flavored Stout) from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.