Fuel Cafe (Coffee Flavored Stout) - Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

Fuel Cafe (Coffee Flavored Stout)Fuel Cafe (Coffee Flavored Stout)

Lakefront Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Stout |  6.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Winter on 02-26-2002)
3.38/5  rDev +0.6%

Pours a dark, opaque black with about an inch of leathery tan colored head pushing to the top of the glass. Not a lot of lacing to go with the head, still a nice looking stout though.

I really can't appreciate any coffee in the nose, which makes this seem a bit like false advertising. Still, I can sense roasted malts, some smokiness, and a little bit of earthiness. This nose lacks power, though.

The taste is good, but still absent of anything really resembling coffee. Smoky, roasted malts all over the place, some lightly bitter chocolate, and maybe the smallest hint of coffee. Also, as it warms, a bit of acidic sour flavor creeps into the background. Good, but needs more coffee flavor to be marketed as a coffee stout.

Pretty thin mouthfeel for a stout. I like to have a pretty big, thick mouthfeel on stouts, and this is really only a medium-light body with some minimal carbonation. Just ok.

Still in all, a pretty drinkable stout that tastes pretty good if you weren't expecting a lot of coffee flavor. The biggest flaws were the aroma and mouthfeel, for me. Not bad, though.

feelmefoam, Dec 07, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a pitch black color with a one finger dark tan head that retains decently. I am getting no lacing on my clean beer glass. Smells and tastes of roasted malts, sweetness, and some chocolate and coffee. The coffee is really light and not what I was expecting. It has some coffee bitterness to it. I get some sour to it and it is confusing me, not good in a stout. Mouthfeel is pretty light for a stout but the carbonation is good and there is some creaminess to it. Drinkability is alright, the price was good and the flavor is not bad. Not really sure if Ill have this one again.

cbutova, Dec 05, 2009
3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Picked it up in a Lakefront sampler pack and this was one of the better ones. This is a very candy like, sweet stout that reminds me of the Old 38 stout. Pours a deep dark brown, almost black, overflowing tan head. Smell was a very strong coffee with a ton of sugar, McCafe like. This a better beer but not the best, pretty simple. But since this is a small micro in NorCal, big ups to that for getting out here.

chickencoop, Dec 03, 2009
2.78/5  rDev -17.3%

Pours a dark brown color with a large tan head that had good retention. Moderate amount of lacing is left on the glass. Not much going on in the aroma or flavor department that tells me this is a coffee infused beer. A little roasted malt in the aroma with notes of chocolate. The flavor reminds me of a straight stout and not that good of one. Some roasted malt and that about sums things up. On the sweeter side. The body is on the thin side. This beer has a severe lack of depth in many departments. Not many positives in this beer and not much reason to drink again.

morimech, Nov 26, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -6.3%

A - Poured with a tan fluffy 1/2 finger head. The head dissipates pretty quickly, leaving little to no lacing. The beer is an opaque brown/black.

S - Nice bitter chocolate and coffee combination. Roasted malts are also present in the nose.

T & M - The coffee taste seems to be missing here...there is some, but it's rather on the light side, which is kind of disappointing. More of a sweet malty taste. The beer is light bodied...too light for a stout. I guess I expect more from my coffee stouts.

D - Not a terrible beer, but it's far from the level I expect from a good coffee stout. I had high hopes, which were dashed. Sorry Lakefront...just not my idea of a good American Stout.

drizzam, Nov 25, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -4.8%

Folling a pint of Founders Breakfast Stout last night, I'm not sure this beer has much of a chance to stand up, but we'll give it a shot.

On the pour, it's chocolate brown, but when it condenses in the glass, it is nearly black. Very little head remains here - a simple circle of carbonation rings with top of the glass.

Pretty simple on the nose - it smells like cold, black coffee that's been stirred with a licorice swizzle stick - and while that's a great smell, there's little else here.

Like cold, carbonated, alcohol-laden, fresh-roasted coffee, with just a touch of sweetness.

Dry, bitter, and a little syrupy in the mouth. Sparkling carbonation stings on the tongue just a bit.

Drinkable, but there are definitely better, more well-developed choices out there.

mdcrouser, Nov 19, 2009
3.48/5  rDev +3.6%

Presentation: 12oz brown pop top with nice coffee-themed label; bottled-on freshness date notched

Appearance: Slightly hazy dark brown beer, cola-like, twinged with garnet at the edges; just a bit of light gets through when held up to the light. Capped with a big dark tan head which soon fades to a thick film.

Smell: Lots of dark, roasted chocolate, dry roasted grain, and light mocha notes; lighter than some coffee stouts, but still pretty nice

Taste: Some dry woodsy smoke, lots of juicy dark fruit, dark caramel malts, and just a hint of light roasty coffee. Less roasted grains than I was expecting; This is fairly fruity initially and the roastiness comes through on the finish. Mild coffee flavors on the finish as well. Overall, a "light on the coffee" coffee stout.

Mouthfeel: Light, a bit too light for the style IMO

Drinkability: Medium to medium-high

Conclusion: A simple, fairly tasty coffee stout that does not offend; that's really its only downfall; there's not enough to make it memorable...did pair nicely with some good dark chocolate, however.

BedetheVenerable, Nov 12, 2009
2.65/5  rDev -21.1%

A - pours dark black with a very small head.

S - smells of coffee, coffee, coffee. Very one-dimensional in that aspect.

T - the taste follows the nose. It tasted of coffee with a metallic taste on the finish. Again, not too much going on with this one.

M - full and smoothh

D - this is a decent stout. Good coffee flavors, but not much depth to it. Not bad, but nothing too extraordinary.

birchstick, Nov 07, 2009
1.98/5  rDev -41.1%

I picked this up as part of Lakefront Brewery Sampler Pack. To be honest, I was very disapointed in this beer. The coffee stout is one of my favorite beers, however, this speciman was thin and coffee flavored rather than coffee "brewed" I think you coffee stout lovers know what I mean.

A: Very little head and carbonation, pretty flat coffee color.

S: It smelled like coffee, but not complex coffee, more a folgers smell.

T: It really didn't do it for me. The coffee was like and addon flavor to a very thin stout rather than a integral part of this beer.

M: Thin thin thin. I can not endorse an American Stout that seems so thin.

D: This was pretty easy to drink, but that's not what I am looking for a in a style like a coffee stout. I want rich, complex, not thin and "pound them back".

mandoskippy, Nov 06, 2009
3.91/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark black color. One and one half inch head of a tan color. Great retention and good lacing. Smells of roasted malt, coffee, sweet malt, hops, and slight alcohol. Fits the style of an American Stout. Mouth feel is smooth and sharp with an average carbonation level. Tastes of coffee, roasted malt, sweet malt, hint of oatmeal, hops, and slight alcohol. Overall, good appearance, aroma, and blend.

Tone, Oct 28, 2009
3.58/5  rDev +6.5%

Appearance- Thick, black body with red-brown highlights. Nice, tan head with decent lace.

Smell- Some coffee and roast. Strange light crisp (almost minty) aroma lingers in back.

Taste- Again, malt and coffee, but with a crisper, more bitter edge than usual for the style. Good, but maybe too much hop presence- not enough coffee.

Mouthfeel- Medium body- a little unsatisfying.

Drinkability- though I was a little disappointed in this as far as coffee stouts go, I might pick it up to have around for it's drinkability.

endincolorado, Oct 13, 2009
2.83/5  rDev -15.8%

~ Purchased this 12 oz bottle from New Beer Distributors in Manhattan, NY. This beer pours black with a healthy tan head that diminishes quickly. The aroma I get out of this is chocolate, followed by hints of coffee and roasted malts. Taste is slightly sourish, and I did not really pick out any of the coffee. For a stout, the body is a little on the thin side. Overall, this is an interesting beer (interesting in a weird sort of way). Thank God for the Mix-a-Six! ~

Goldfish19, Oct 06, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +24.4%

I picked this up while I was in Milwaukee from Discount Liquors (That place is as cool as you've heard).

It'd been awhile since the last time I thought I'd had this, I couldn't remember it.

Poured it out of the bottle into my nice little Chalice/goblet (which I got from Discount Liquor as well).

Has a nice, dark tone about it.

The smell....oh, the smell. The first scent had me salivating. It was such a rich and full coffee smell.

And it tasted as good as it smelled. In fact, it tasted a little too good. After a bit, I had my brother try it out. He normally hates stouts, but he couldn't put this down (an avid coffee drinker).
We started wondering if this was even a bier, or just coffee made with carbonated water.
Absolutely one of the tastiest Coffee biers I've ever had.
Some coffee biers have just a hint of coffee, and that seems pointless to me. I love it when the coffee is a strong, robust flavor...well, because it's coffee! It's not a weak flavor to be relegated to the sidelines.

Was a very smooth, crisp drink. Went down nice, similar to a chilled coffee.

Drinkability is good and bad. I loved this bier, but it's a very flavorful coffee stout. I can see myself WANTING to drink several of these, but I can also see that fatiguing my palette VERY quickly. So, it's bad in that I could easily overindulge myself, and have a heavy belly of bier...which doesn't feel too nice...

Overall, this is a great bier for a brisk afternoon (don't drink it at night) or perhaps while I am doing something (like a hobby). Not sure if it was a coincidence, but I had it a bit late in the evening, and got to bed a few hours late... Overall, I enjoyed it quite well.

Not sure on the "vinegar" thing previously mentioned.
I imagine, more than other biers, this bier would be horrible if it's a bit old/skunky. Can't imagine the flavors/acid/oil of coffee would do wonders for a bier long-term.
Mine was fresh, maybe a month old or so...but I bought it right in Milwaukee, so....

TheSSG, Sep 24, 2009
1.55/5  rDev -53.9%

I've read a few reviews for this beer and it seems that the problems I found in my bottle were common enough to warrant a rating pending a re-rate. Label says bottled on week 2 of July. Presumably this year, with this beer I'm not too sure.

Appearance straight from the bottle was very nice. It was a pitch black with a nice mocha head that disappeared almost as soon as it formed. I waited a few minutes to drink and sediment appeared throughout the beer in lieu of carbonation. Disconcerting. It's disappointing to look at a beer and be able to say, "I'm not going to drink that."

Ok, it smells mostly good. Nice coffee tones, some chocolate, and... what's this?... who's the asshat that put vinegar in my beer? This can't be good.

The taste is like the smell, only minus the coffee and chocolate. Even then I've had vinegar that tasted better straight.

In the mouth this feels like a watery mess. Carbonated cheap vinegar. I have vinegar in my kitchen with more body and character.

Maybe with some olive oil this could make a passable salad dressing? Eh, probably not. Let's just hope it doesn't cause too much damage to my plumbing. Drinkability, no. I don't think I've even had a macro this bad. Anyone have a "normal" bottle??

RomaniIteDomum, Sep 06, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -0.3%

An enormous dark mocha head blooms , but never really settles, over a truly black beer with sediment on the bottom of the glass. That impressive head appears to have put all it had to development, as it quickly diminishes, leaving clouds of patchy lace on the walls of the glass.

Whiffs of bread are more prominent than anticipated from a stout, but there is the telltale coffee complimented by roasted malt. Unfortunately, there is no complexity or layering, as is common to a stout.

The flavors follow the nose, with an emphasis on the roasted malt. There is some bitterness, and a quick finish. This one opens up a bit as it warms, but there is really not much to report.

A full body beer, with an oily texture and fizzy carbonation, Fuel Café has a hint of alcohol, and a lite astringency.

This beer is easy to consume from a tulip glass with friends and pub food, and is well suited to consumption while watching a ball game.

SLeffler27, Aug 23, 2009
3.05/5  rDev -9.2%

Had 8/15/09
This beer pours an opaque black with a creamy 1/4 inch head that recedes rapidly. Nice lacing left on the glass. Nose is rather muted, some coffee and faint floral hops but that is it. Taste is of sweet malts up front, followed by faint coffee flavoring, touch of chocolate but I really had to look for that, with a hop bitter finish to it. Light bodied, high carbonation, carbonation is almost distracting in this brew. If you are looking for a stout, there are numerous other offerings that would be a better representation.

Jayli, Aug 20, 2009
2.83/5  rDev -15.8%

Poured into a pint glass this beer is dark chocolate brown. A small smattering of head dissipates and leaves a bit of lace. If looks mean anything I'm liking it so far. The nose is less impressive. I get a hint of coffee but for a beer named for an actual coffee shop in Milwaukee it's not exactly full blown java. The flavor is an even bigger let down. Uber smoked malt is the main profile player here. It tastes more like smoked meat then coffee. Hints of caramel and bitter hops can be percieved if you really try. It just comes back to smoke though. The beer is medium to light bodied. Very thin with moderate carbonation. This is maybe the weakest offering from a brewery I expect alot from. Well they can't all be winners. I will stop by the brewery in the near future and sample this straight from the cows udder. Maybe if it's fresh it will come across a tad better.

beerwolf77, Aug 08, 2009
3.18/5  rDev -5.4%

Six pack from New Beer. September BBD. I seem to have a thing for this beer.

Poured into a pint glass. Big cascade of mocha, tightening up into hard insulation.

Huge stiff roasted coffee, vanillan, dark chocolate & alcohol.

Taste is all coffee grounds & sweet, if very charred malt. Ashy, & quite watery. Bitterness is green & leafy. Alcohol is apparent, but tolerable. Finish is grainy.

Not the most pleasant of things, but it fills the need sometimes.

PEBKAC, Jul 16, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -2.4%

Appears pitch black in body no light slips through when held in a bright room. Light tan head forms thick more than two fingers with and settles nicely. Head rises above the rim of my pint glass and dimples without loosing any liquid over the edges. Aroma has a touch of stale coffee with herbal hops, light fruitiness rises up as well. Flavor has a nice mix of malts and roasted coffee flavor, not a heavy espresso note think gas station black coffee. With fruit and herbal hops intermingling during each sip, pretty nice. Flavors aren't playing nice together actually a lot of clashing comes from the this pretty thin bodied stout, carbnoation level works but it's just not a big ol' coffee stout this is a dry irish with hints of coffee. Not bad just not my bag compared to some of the beer offerings out there. Drinkability overal is decent but definitely not a beer to beg for or carve anytime soon.

WVbeergeek, Jul 02, 2009
2.63/5  rDev -21.7%

Poured from Bottle into Pint glass.

Pours a deep dark brown that borders on black with a fizzy khaki colored head that quickly dissolves and leaves no remains. The nose has some chocolate, roasted malts and just a hint of coffee. The flavor is sweet chocolate upfront and is accompanied by some smoke and earthy hops and finishes dry. Its a medium bodied beer that has a hearty amount of carbonation. The nose on this beer is completely lacking and the flavor is pretty faint as well and the body makes it seem more like a porter than a stout.

DiabolikDUB, Jun 28, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +21.4%

Gorgeous light brown head atop a black body poured from this one, kept a bit of head throughout and ok lacing. Smell hit pretty well, with the definite roast coffee and chocolate and malts up front.

Taste is bitter roast, just how I like my coffee to taste in the morning. Good aftertaste that lingers making you want more. Gets more pronounced on the palate as it warms. Mouthfeel is fairly medium, or even thin for a stout, making it very drinkable.

Dry, bitter, and roasty, not very sticky like other coffee/chocolate stouts I've had. A good cheap buy - a very tasty and not lacking brew!

pandashaver, Jun 23, 2009
3.7/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Comes out of the bottle a deep, warm sable with a very thick, fine-bubbled and fairly persistent beige head. Rich aroma is like a fine coffee and has hints of unsweetened chocolate and smoke. Flavor is like a good mocha, but too thin to be first-class - it does not seem to live up to the appetizing aroma. There is just a hint of sweetness. Texture is smooth but rather watery, not like most stouts I have tried. Still, it's OK.

Cyberkedi, May 30, 2009
3.73/5  rDev +11%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a super-dark brown. Bubbly light brown head. Completely opaque w/red at the edges. Nice crown of brown lacing.

The smell is coffee and alcohol, oily stout malt. Mocha coffee aroma. Really nice, mildly toasted. Cocoa powder. Hints of caramel, toffee, butterscotch.

The taste is raisins, plums, dates. Mocha and coffee on the back of the tongue. More sweet than bitter. A nice enough taste that could use a bitter balance.

The feel is oily at first, then dry and ashy. Still, it's lighter-bodied. It doesn't quite live up to the promise of its look and aroma, but it's a solid beer nonetheless.

williamherbert, May 23, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -4.8%

Appearance: Black with a tan head. Appealing.

Smell: Coffee and malt. Nothing special.

Taste: Coffee and malt. Not acrid like a dry stout.

Mouthfeel: Quite watery. This is probably the most negative aspect of this ale.

Drinkability: Pretty good. There isn't any characteristic that sticks out which would make it unfit for consumption in fair quantities.

Overall: I'm not very impressed, but it is drinkable.

carwreCk, May 18, 2009
3.53/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled in December notched on label:

Pours black with a brown head that grows, then diminishes.

The smell of tart fruit greets the nose, oddly. But then licorice and chocolate come through. A second smell reveals the coffee. My initial impression (tartness) was not good, but the aroma does gain momentum, and coffee mixes with other stout characteristics and the tartness diminishes.

The taste is of coffee/licorice with an earthy bitterness. The unfortunate tart fruit character is there, which detracts a bit, but doesn't overwhelm. Shame of it is that it would be a good flavor if it weren't for that. Coffee (towards grinds) in the finish.

It has more of a porter body than a stout body, with carbonation just a bit too aggressive for the style. Still, it has a certain silky character to it.

A bit tarter and more carbonated for what I would really like, but it does have a coffee character mixed with a solid stout character, and the detracters didn't totally destroy it for me. There are better coffee stouts (and porters), but this one isn't bad (if you can "get over" the minor flaws.)

jwc215, Apr 25, 2009
Fuel Cafe (Coffee Flavored Stout) from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.