Fuel Cafe (Coffee Flavored Stout) - Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

Fuel Cafe (Coffee Flavored Stout)Fuel Cafe (Coffee Flavored Stout)

Lakefront Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Stout |  6.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Winter on 02-26-2002)
2.65/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Coffee stout...those beers catch my eye and never dissapoint. I have some late-night studying to do for finals, but why not get a does of caffeine to keep me awake? On to the beer:

A large bubbly head, slightly tanned, forms on top this black beauty with hues of brown. The aroma isn;t too bad, it's solid. The coffee is most noticable, some molasses is hiding underneath, same with Cocoa-Puff like chocolate. Taste and mouthfeel...the first thing I noticed was the thin mouthfeel. The bubbly feel is fine, but the liquid is thin. There is some bittersweet coffee flavor in this beer, it just isn't robust from what I've come to expect. There isn't much stoutness here either. Very mild at best. First it's coffee with hazelnut, then off-guard the toffee flavor hits. No astringent roasted malt, no smoked flavor, no stoutness.

Overall, it's low on firepower and has an odd echoing flavor that may get in the way. Making a coffe stout wasn't a bad idea, making a beer taste this way was.

4.33/5  rDev +28.5%

A- Pitch black color, non-transparent, very thin tan ring around the glass

S- Dark chocolate, coffee beans, dark malts, hint of dark fruit

T- Freshly brewed coffee, milk chocolate, creamy, vanilla, roasted malts, slightly sweet

M- Medium/heavy body, low/medium carbonation, rich, smooth, silky

D- Great session stout

Good full flavors but not too overpowering. I could put down a few of these brews very easily.

3.35/5  rDev -0.6%

12 oz bottle, undated

A - Pours a fairly black opaque color. Head formation is quick and vigorous. Very strong. Slow to dissipate. Appears to be fairly carbonated.

S - A chocolate/roasted malt combination. Only a light amount of coffee aroma is detected. Perhaps some underlying phenolic tones.

T - Early flavors are awfully light - not much there. Some malt sweetness and roasted flavors. Finishes with a bit of the coffee grain edge. Has an almost acidic aftertaste. Fairly strong.

M - Strong and thick body. Carbonation edge to it. Coats the mouth and is a bit clingy.

D - Very easy to drink -flavors are overall light in nature. ABV is manageable. Doesn't sit too heavily on the pallet.

Not bad, not great.

3.15/5  rDev -6.5%

Pours a very dark brown with s decent head that fizzles away quickly. Smells of acidic coffee and dark chocolate but nothing overly expressive. Taste is of a sort of metallic coffee flavor, dark bitter chocolate, and a very slight raostiness, very little hops in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, airy, not too much carbonation. Its drinkable, just a lot better out there.

3.93/5  rDev +16.6%

Picked this up as a single at Green's on Ponce in Atlanta.

Pours black with slight hints of brown around the edges. Not much head, a thin layer of brown bubbles dissipates quickly to a wispy layer of bubbles on top and a thin ring around the glass. Not much lacing.

Smells largely of coffee, roasted malts, and light chocolate, in that order. As the beer warms the chocolate aroma gets a bit more pungent.

Tastes good. Huge coffee flavors up front with hints of roasted malt and chocolate. As the beer warms the coffee flavors wane and the chocolate takes over a bit. Lots of bitterness ends every sip.

Mouthfeel is good. It's a tad too thin, but the carbonation is solid.

Drinkability is good. I'm not sure if I could drink a lot of these as the bitterness is a bit much over time, but I had no problem finishing one.

Overall I'm glad I got a good batch; judging from other reviews the beer I had is certainly better than most. I recommend it, but caveat emptor.

3.83/5  rDev +13.6%

A= dark brown to a black color with a 1 finger head that dissipates quickly with a little head left behind for your enjoyment, large bubbles clinging to the glass with good lacing
S= Dark coffee smell with milk chocolate undertone
T= Black coffee with a mild chocolate aftertaste
M= sharp and tingily in my mouth with a stickyness left behind on my lips
D= decent if you like this style, its a coffee stout for sure. I liked it for what it is but I don't think I will be trying it again, just not my style

1.13/5  rDev -66.5%

A - stout dark, pitch black, with a thin tan head that dissipates quickly to a rim

S - did thi skunk? can't tell if this is extremely ridled with very bitter coffee or has turned, its so very astringent, acidic, almost vinegary/grapey

T - ugh, so very sharp, almost red winey, with a touch a vinegar, i will try this again someday, hopefully this a skunked bottle

M&D - will update when i retry this, i can stomach another swallow

2.58/5  rDev -23.4%

Bottle says it was bottled in Week 1 of May. No evidence of what year, however, so I'm hoping it's fresh. . . .

A: OK, first -- on opening the cap, I got a strong "pfffft" and looked quickly to see if it was overflowing. No, but then I poured it into a pint glass and it was ALL foam. Strangest thing I'd ever seen -- I don't think I poured more than a half-inch worth of beer out of the bottle and literally 3/4 of the pint glass was foam. As I get to this point of typing the review, I've now got 1-finger of beer and 2 fingers of foam -- light, airy foam that's light-tan in color. OK, so I tried to pour some more in the glass and now I've got 2-fingers of liquid and 4 fingers of foam. At this rate it should take me a half hour to pour the beer, though that foam does settle down somewhat quickly [Just noticed the bottle now has about 2-fingers' worth of foam at the neck too]. . . . Alright, a half hour was an exaggeration, but it's been 10 minutes and I still have about 1/3 of the bottle to go. With every small pour, I immediately get a geyser of foam that rises back to the top of the glass. My patience is wearing thin.

S: Roasted malt and old coffee.

T: When I finally (15 mins later) get past the foam so I can take a sip. . . there's not much there. Something metallic at first (though this seems to dissipate over time), some roasted malt, some burnt grain and a hint of chocolate at the back of the mouth after the swallow. I don't really even get a sense of coffee, to be honest, though to some degree those burnt grains remind me of coffee that's been sitting on the burner too long.

M: Remember I said my patience was wearing thin? Well that's the perfect word to describe the mouthfeel: thin. Watery too. But plenty of carbonation (no surprise given the foam).

D: If you don't mind waiting awhile to start drinking, then I guess at least there's nothing objectionable to the taste, and since it's very light in body, I suppose you could drink this pretty quickly.,Especially if your goal is to finish it so you can move on to something worthwhile. As for me? Drain pour about 1/3 of the way in. Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Notes: I'm glad I only bought a single bottle at Olivers.

1.53/5  rDev -54.6%

Pours opaque black. Head is a tan creamy mass.

Aroma is charred dark grain. Smokey with mild notes of coffee, chocolate, and sour dark fruit. unusual.

Taste is dominated by the same sour, musty dark fruit as in the nose. There is something wrong here. Dark grain, and stale coffee flavor offer some bitterness.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied.

This is amazingly bad.... The strange, overpowering sour unripened dark fruit flavor has no place in a stout, and is something I just can't get past. Possibly the worst stout I've ever had. Just terrible.

2.45/5  rDev -27.3%

Poured a dark brown with a very thin tan head that was gone in a flash.

The smell has a big mocha latte smell with a touch of burnt grain bitterness.

The flavor is weird mix of sour and burnt black malts with a touch of chocolate, coffee, and smoke. It finishes slightly bitter with the initial sour flavor lingering on. Very off flavor.

The mouthfeel is a bit thin for stout with a bit of oilyness.

Overall another dud from lakefront. Out of my 8pk sampler this was the one I had the most hope for, unfortunately it was not good.

3.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a tumbler glass.

Appearance: Black body that has some hints of ruby/brown at the edges. Dark tan head.

Smell: There is something very offputting about the smell of this beer right after it's poured, but I can't exactly describe what it is. After it's had a moment to set it smells of roasted coffee.

Taste: Sweet roasted coffee. Some dark chocolate as well.

Mouthfeel: Appropriately thick mouthfeel.

2.48/5  rDev -26.4%

GLASS: Boddingtons Imperial Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees

Much like a Guinness, this pours almost black, with hints of brown around it's edges, and a slight trace of ruby. Solid one-finger head that dissipates fairly quickly, leaving a thin foamy top. Quite decent lacing.

Dark fruits and roasted coffee beans. Slight maltiness. The coffee is not as prominent as I'd hoped it would be.

Light coffee notes mingle with a hint of chocolate. Very slight malt presence. Overall, this is weak.

Thin and waterey. Unimpressive.

This could be an easy session beverage. Then again, so could water. Just not much flavor going on here to tempt me to come back.

1.1/5  rDev -67.4%

WOW! This is my first BA review and for good reason.

This beer has to be one of the WORST beers if not the worst I have ever had. PERIOD!

I love a good Stout or Porter. Surly, Bell's, Summit, Sierra Nevada, etc. But this stuff.

Tastes like garbage, Smells like garbage...therefore it is garbage.

I am just glad that I purchased only 1 bottle of this junk. The only thing I want back is the $1.59 I spent on the bottle and the peanuts that I spent cooling it down.

Question for the brewery....What kind of coffee did you use in the brewing process? Tastes like something that you find in a hospital vending machine.

Horrible Stuff. 2 mouthfuls is all I could stomach. The rest I poured down the drain. Too bad for the drain.

2.53/5  rDev -24.9%

Served in a standard pint. Looks just like cola with ruby highlights around the edges and copious tiny bubbles that adhered to the walls of the glass. Sizzling and popping off-white head dissipated immediately. No lacing present during the tasting. Nose is dark fruit, sour, malt and some cocoa. Also picked up a slight metallic character. Taste consistent with nose, but sour dark fruit overwhelms the cocoa. Not sure where the coffee comes in. Mouthfeel is watery. Some carbonation and a slightly sour/astringent finish. Not a drain pour, but one was definitely enough.

1.63/5  rDev -51.6%

A- Pours a 2 finger tan head that recedes pretty quick. The body is black with no light showing through.

S- Chocolate, roastiness, slight dark fruit aspect, After some swirling, the coffee does come through.

T- Starts very sweet then moves to a very tart, acidic, almost funky note. I really hope this infected and not a true representation of this beer. I don't get anything other than funk in this.

M- Totally funky sourness coats the palette.

D- As noted above, I really hop this is just an infection and not the true representation of this beer. This was terrible.

2.48/5  rDev -26.4%

12 oz bottle. Pours a very dark brown with 1 cm of tan head that diminishes in the time it takes me to walk to the other room. I think there is some stuff suspended in the beer. Aroma of malt and a hint of coffee. Initial flavor of sweet mat, light creamy coffee comes in towards the end. No carbonation, light body, no lacing, no alcohol presence. Overall, wondering if I got a bad bottle, disappointed with this one.

2.95/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours black and completely opaque with a thin light brown head. Poor retention and no lacing.

The aroma is weak. Small coffee notes make an appearance accompanied by a bit of chocolate. Kind of boring.

The taste is not that good. Certainly a bit of chocolate and a bit of coffee. Weak flavored, kind of sweet and some fruity notes too.

Mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied with plenty of carbonation.

Drinkability is moerate. Poor flavors are uninspiring. Not the best coffee beer, but certainly not undrinkable.

3.45/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a dark brown with a tan creamy head that dissipates as I drink. There is some lacing down the side of the glass.

The smell is of chocolate malt, a small bit of coffee, and maybe a bit of alcohol? I'm not sure, but there is something in there that is a bit twangy. I thought there would be a stronger coffee presence.

The taste is first and foremost of coffee, and then chocolate comes to the fore. This is followed by a little bitterness at the end. I'm not sure if that comes from the remnants of coffee, or maybe there are some hops that I am noticing.

Mouthfeel is creamy, and a slight bit of carbonation.

A drinkable beer. I thought it would be more strongly coffee-flavored, but this is decent. It could also be a bit heavier seeing as how it is a stout, but I would drink a couple or possibly a few during a sitting.

3.63/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours out a fairly deep brown -light black color, super foamy tan head, settles down somewhat quickly. Body looks more on the lighter side of stout, not quite as thick as some of the best coffee stout(mikkeller beer geek breakfast)
Smells of, well, metallic is the first word that comes to mind. Light touch of coffee, whifs of cocoa malts, not really smoky. I would expect a more predominant coffee smell. Most of these styles usually have an almost chocolate-milk richness in the nose, but not so much here.
Flavor is actually better than expected. More of a roasted malt sweetness, caramels, some cocoas. Not extremly complex, but more of a lighter bodied version of this style.
Mouthfeel is actually on the light side of medium, low ABV goes down quite easily. If you are just beginning to try this style, give this one a shot.

3.15/5  rDev -6.5%

A: Deep, deep brown. Close to black. Some reddish notes, but not really cola like. Head is a light brown, kinda thin, and similar to sizzling grease in the pan.

S: Roasted coffee and malts - almost the same between the two, kind of strangely. Chocolatey with some pleasant coffee notes.

T: Strange flavours... kinda metallic. The coffee is almost artificial - or cheap. Roast malts, and a slightly sour flavour (close to sour fruits?). Maybe that's a hint that there is something wrong with it, but hard to say.

M: Prickly with a bit of creaminess. Medium body. Some slippery sensations

D: Not bad... just something a little off about it. Not one I could see myself going after again, though I might to see if I just got a bad bottle.

3.98/5  rDev +18.1%

Rumor has this may be an older bottle, but when pressed as to the exact date, my friend politely told me to "mind my own business."

Appearance: Pours a black body with a thin, wispy, beige head.

Smell: Malty nose smelling primarily of chocolate, with lesser notes of roast, nuts, and fruit.

Taste: Chocolate-covered coffee beans with a hint of licorice, almonds, and even prunes. Tiny, tiny blip of acidity. Mild hops with a small tingle of bitterness. Roasty, chocolaty finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation. Slightly creamy mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Decent enough! Definitely easy drinking, particularly with the restrained ABV.

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%

appearance - Black color, tan head, that suck around for a bit. Nice lace on the glass.

smell - Roasted malts, coffee grains.

taste - Taste like old cofee, has a sour bitterness taste to it.

mouthfeel - Medium-light body.

drinkability - Not too fond of this. Some cofee stout, didn't like the sour bitterness to it though. Seemed more like a porter to me.

3.68/5  rDev +9.2%

Smells of sweet roasted malt with hints of molasses, chocolate and cinnamon. Pours to an opaque dark brown with a tan head that's not real foamy. Taste is a slightly roasted coffee flavor with a neutral dry bitterness. Good body, not too heavy, not too light. Carbonation seems a little high, and the beer would have more flavor with less carbonation. All said a tasty brew that has good flavor and is highly drinkable. I especially like the "stout" flavor yet the dry finish leaving one to take another sip. However the carbonation needs to be lower.

2.35/5  rDev -30.3%

Pours dark brown, pretty much black. There is somewhat of a head that forms on the pour, but it's quickly gone. Nothing remains. Smell is slight coffee and cocoa. Taste is coffee bean. Which is very good and dark. However, there's a sweet, off flavor that's coming through and completely killing all that good flavor. A little more thin on the mouthfeel than I like as well. It's just not good enough, especially in an over crowded style.

2.9/5  rDev -13.9%

Pours a light black with a slight off white head.
Had a slightly metallic smell, really weird, very mild coffee.
Taste was very mild, very little coffee, just a little hint of paper. Really disappointed in the amount of coffee present. Thin and watery mouthfeel. All in all, not a very big or tasty beer.

Fuel Cafe (Coffee Flavored Stout) from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.