Fuel Cafe (Coffee Flavored Stout) - Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

Fuel Cafe (Coffee Flavored Stout)Fuel Cafe (Coffee Flavored Stout)

Lakefront Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Stout |  6.40% ABV

Beer added by: Winter on 02-26-2002

4.23/5  rDev +25.1%

Nice! Finally a coffee stout that tastes like, you guessed it, good coffee. Not the Dunkin Donuts coffee nor the watered-down, syrupy coffee, but honest-to-goodness, quality, roasted bean coffee. Was hesitant at first but found this a refreshing surprise. Would have liked the nose to be stronger, and you can't have too many of these as they are on the heavy side, but it packs a great deal of coffee flavor for just 6% ABV.

3.54/5  rDev +4.7%

Dark brown, flat, doesn't appear very lively - but that's consistent with most stouts I've seen. Nothing special. Heavy coffee scent that I like. Mouthfeel a bit on the thin side, kind of syrupy and sticky. Heavy slightly-burnt coffee taste that overpowers the beer a bit. I probably couldn't drink more then one of these without getting bored with it, but not a bad offering. This is my first coffee stout and I imagine there's probably better ones that taste a little more like beer and less like an espresso.

2.69/5  rDev -20.4%

A: good appearance good head retention
S: Smelled as it should but very nice deep coffee smell
T: Not what I hoped for it tasted like someone took a woke up took a lighter stout and poured coffee into it. Which is great if you really like coffee that much that you need to add it to everything. I was just really not that impressed.
M: It was alright but the acidity of the coffee made it a little rough
D: You could drink it if you want to but honestly I really wouldn't care to have it again.

2.63/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Hey! I'm the 200th review for this beer.

Too bad it's not a good one.

Poured this into the in-law's version of a pint glass in South Georgia. Pours a watery brown with little head. Almost no lacing on the glass. Smell is very medicinal. I didn't get any coffee taste at all. Taste was a tart taste, almost like dark cherries and medicinal as well. Tastes like a dumbed down jaegermeister. Almost no coffee notes, which is odd since this is a "coffee stout". Not a fan of this one. Tastes too much like medicine and its coffee notes are nearly non-existent. Not a fan.

2.91/5  rDev -13.9%

Upon first getting the bottle I see it was bottled 2nd week of March leading me to believe that the beer was just under a year old. But then when I saw the cap it was dated 2007. mmm. Well beer is beer right?

a-Pours with a head but YOU must make it pour with a head, and when you do so it goes away quite quickly

s-I instantly thought to myself what am I getting into. Sour, coffee, vinegar like scent

t-You get used to it, I am a big fan of bitter beers and stouts and being a coffee lover probably helps to. However, it doesn't not resemble a stout at all and the company should really consider labeling it differently. Calling it a porter at the most.

m-the aftertaste however is surprisingly good, like you just finished a gulp of your favorite coffee.

d-one at a time. this is definitely a sit down beer. Avoid if you are looking for the slightest buzz because it will require much mental strength to do it.

3.38/5  rDev 0%

I don't get to try too much from Lakefront brewery (only their sorghum beer is available in my own town). Pours black.. and I mean black, with a nice light brown head. Smell is of roasted nuts.. smells like coffee.. what a surprise!! Taste is.. a lot of coffee. While I'm not a big coffee person, I don't necessarily hate the flavor. I'm sure this beer would taste a lot better if I did enjoy coffee more. As it is, it is pretty smooth with a nice creamy mouthfeel but its quite heavy on the coffee flavor. Also, the flavor of coffee does linger in your mouth for an unusually long time.. nice to try if you like coffee.

3.25/5  rDev -3.8%

Apearance: pours a black color with a one finger head that last quite a while. Some mild lacing develops.

Smell: coffee and roasted malt are the lone dimensions you can pick up.

Taste: coffee flavors are way up front with this beer. Roasted malts, hints of chocolate, and a mild bitterness reside in the background and create a bit of an unblanced flavor profile.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer. Smooth from start to finish. Aftertaste is long as the coffee flavors linger in the mouth for what seems like minutes.

Drinkability: one bottle was enough for me. The coffee flavors are a bit overpowering creating a one dimensional beer. If you are a coffee lover this beer may be for you.

2.24/5  rDev -33.7%

12 ounce bottle, bottled August 2008. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours black with about an inch tan head. Head retention and lacing are both OK. It smells like roasted malt, coffee, and unfortunately a good amount of vinegar. And even more unfortunately, the vinegar is pretty noticable in the taste too, along with coffee, roasted malt and a weird sour taste. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's slick but also a bit thin. Drinkability isn't good, pretty much because of the off flavors of this beer. Looking at some of the other recent reviews, it seems there was a bad batch or two of this beer that was sent out. I can tell there's a decent brew behind the vinegar/sourness, but this bottle isn't good. The appearance was good, but just got worse from there. On the bright side, I only bought a single of this and not a six pack. I'll have to revisit this in the future.

1.8/5  rDev -46.7%

I don't know what the heck happened to this beer, but it wasn't for the better. Bottle was notched for the second week of June, but it was a newcomer to my local co-op's shelf within the last month. I have to presume it was June of 2008.

It starts out fine...

A - Pours very dark brown to black with a thick, light tan head. Dissipates to a thick cap with fairly nice lacing.

This is where this brew goes south very quickly.

S - Ridiculous amounts of grapey, vinegary sourness overwhelm a faint espresso note.

T - More sour, grapey vinegar. If not for the appearance, I'd swear I was drinking red wine and not beer.

M - Carbonation is moderate to pronounced. The "beer" is medium-bodied and the carbonation results in a very foamy, creamy texture.

D - It's hardly a beer at all, let alone a stout, but finding red wine to be a decent beverage from time to time, I can probably stomach these.

I paid for them, so I'll try to finish them. But jeez, this brew was bad, and not even close to what I was expecting from a coffee stout. Clearly something went wrong in bottling and/or distribution, unless this is what the brewer really intended to produce. I'm doubting that this particular bottle is actually ~6% ABV too, as there is a warming effect starting to envelop the back of my throat. I'm also noting a wine-like alcoholic astringency as it goes down. I wish I had some way of measuring the ABV of this one.

Note also, this was bottle one from a six-pack. Hopefully they aren't all like this, though I have my doubts if they came from the same batch.

3.22/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a very dark and almost completely black brown with a small tan head that turns into a bald-spotted crown. Lacing is present and abundant.

Smells very strong and appealing! Roasted coffee is present, but it seems to be hiding in the background of chocolate and cream.

Taste is another story, the coffee is very much up front and the other flavors are relegated to aftertaste. The coffee flavor unfortunately tastes a bit stale. A bit watery and singular in it's taste.

Body is thin with medium carbonation which doesn't work really well here, which hurts the drinkability. For my "coffee" stouts, I'll be sticking with Founders and Terrapin.

1.6/5  rDev -52.7%

A: A very dark brown stout with just about no head and lacing; not very appealing.

S: Straight up espresso with no other entities to balance it out.

T: Sour espresso! Yes, I said sour espresso. I just don't understand why this beer has a sour/tart flavor mixed with coffee quality. Do you? I think Budweiser could probably come out with a better stout...and that is saying a lot for me.

M: Over carbonated and very thin.

D: Horrible. I don't know what else to say about it.

Overall: Very disappointed and was expecting something completely different. Avoid this beer. Cheers!...or in this case...no cheers!

2.78/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured fairly dark brown, with a cream colored head. Strong coffee aroma, slight roast malt. Taste is mostly bitter coffee, maybe some mocha, finishes a bit bitter. Medium body with some carbonation that borders on too much. Not real stoutesque. All around a bit too watery and timid. Wouldn't even say it's all that drinkable because of the bitterness. Just OK.

3.33/5  rDev -1.5%

A: poured heavy and somewhat stiff, some bubbles clinging to the glass upon first inspection. Otherwise a clouded black in color with a soft-whipped mocha colored head. Zig-zags and a few streaks of lacing

S: roasted malts and stronger smelling dry grains. Not a huge nose of coffee but a sweeter coffee cream smell and a delicate smokiness

T: darker roasted malts, a bit sour, and nimble coffee flavors. A bit of smoked gusto in the mix that amplifies the malty feel. Slight acidic oily coffee vibe that seems to find its way after the swallow. Otherwise, mostly sour and smokey flavors in the mouth, with lacking dark malt profile

M: a few shades above a mild body but not heavy. I have had heavier porters that this stout. It is not bad as far as feel, lush and soft are the two words that come to mind

D: enjoyable brew. I still find it lacking in coffee presence and would consider throwing a shot or two of espresso in the mix. As far as stouts in general, I find it very timid. i would like a little more malt presence as well

3.3/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Lakefront here we come.

A: Very dark brown brew, with a very average head that settled quickly.

S: Where is the coffee? I smelled some roast and a smidge of chocolate, but was expecting more coffee.

T: Taste is kind of bitter, but not in a coffee way? Not a lot of flavor here.

M: Was light-medium body, low specific gravity, where da stout @?

D: Drinkable, sure. The bitter acidic aftertaste kept me from wanting to drink another, good think I only bought one.

2.84/5  rDev -16%

Got this out of a bottle in an assorted 8 pack. This has to be the blackest beer I have ever seen. It was pure black. Even held up to the light, I could see any movement behind it. Limited head. I don't know if it was cover I was smelling, but it was strong and I didn't care for it, though not awful.

The taste of coffee is intense. Very bold and rich. Too be honest, it's a bit too intense. There's a strong sourness and the coffee aftertaste basically makes you feel like you just had a coffee. It's an interesting beer in a very short dose.

3.3/5  rDev -2.4%

Pitch black beer with a rapidly fading head.Aroma is dominated by coffee.Taste is coffee bean,chocolate and molasses.Lightly carbonated with a pretty decent smoothness.I would recommend to try at least once.It's not something that is really going to wow you but it is still pretty good.

2.83/5  rDev -16.3%

Reviewed on 8/15/08. Bottle. Pours black with a small tan head. Aroma of coffee, nuts, sweet malt. Flavor of sweet roasted malt and nuts. Extremely sweet! Not much coffee though. Weakish palate. This wasn't terrible but I won't be having it again.
6/4/5/3/13 (3.1/5)

2.7/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Coffee stout...those beers catch my eye and never dissapoint. I have some late-night studying to do for finals, but why not get a does of caffeine to keep me awake? On to the beer:

A large bubbly head, slightly tanned, forms on top this black beauty with hues of brown. The aroma isn;t too bad, it's solid. The coffee is most noticable, some molasses is hiding underneath, same with Cocoa-Puff like chocolate. Taste and mouthfeel...the first thing I noticed was the thin mouthfeel. The bubbly feel is fine, but the liquid is thin. There is some bittersweet coffee flavor in this beer, it just isn't robust from what I've come to expect. There isn't much stoutness here either. Very mild at best. First it's coffee with hazelnut, then off-guard the toffee flavor hits. No astringent roasted malt, no smoked flavor, no stoutness.

Overall, it's low on firepower and has an odd echoing flavor that may get in the way. Making a coffe stout wasn't a bad idea, making a beer taste this way was.

4.29/5  rDev +26.9%

A- Pitch black color, non-transparent, very thin tan ring around the glass

S- Dark chocolate, coffee beans, dark malts, hint of dark fruit

T- Freshly brewed coffee, milk chocolate, creamy, vanilla, roasted malts, slightly sweet

M- Medium/heavy body, low/medium carbonation, rich, smooth, silky

D- Great session stout

Good full flavors but not too overpowering. I could put down a few of these brews very easily.

3.38/5  rDev 0%

12 oz bottle, undated

A - Pours a fairly black opaque color. Head formation is quick and vigorous. Very strong. Slow to dissipate. Appears to be fairly carbonated.

S - A chocolate/roasted malt combination. Only a light amount of coffee aroma is detected. Perhaps some underlying phenolic tones.

T - Early flavors are awfully light - not much there. Some malt sweetness and roasted flavors. Finishes with a bit of the coffee grain edge. Has an almost acidic aftertaste. Fairly strong.

M - Strong and thick body. Carbonation edge to it. Coats the mouth and is a bit clingy.

D - Very easy to drink -flavors are overall light in nature. ABV is manageable. Doesn't sit too heavily on the pallet.

Not bad, not great.

3.15/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours a very dark brown with s decent head that fizzles away quickly. Smells of acidic coffee and dark chocolate but nothing overly expressive. Taste is of a sort of metallic coffee flavor, dark bitter chocolate, and a very slight raostiness, very little hops in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, airy, not too much carbonation. Its drinkable, just a lot better out there.

3.92/5  rDev +16%

Picked this up as a single at Green's on Ponce in Atlanta.

Pours black with slight hints of brown around the edges. Not much head, a thin layer of brown bubbles dissipates quickly to a wispy layer of bubbles on top and a thin ring around the glass. Not much lacing.

Smells largely of coffee, roasted malts, and light chocolate, in that order. As the beer warms the chocolate aroma gets a bit more pungent.

Tastes good. Huge coffee flavors up front with hints of roasted malt and chocolate. As the beer warms the coffee flavors wane and the chocolate takes over a bit. Lots of bitterness ends every sip.

Mouthfeel is good. It's a tad too thin, but the carbonation is solid.

Drinkability is good. I'm not sure if I could drink a lot of these as the bitterness is a bit much over time, but I had no problem finishing one.

Overall I'm glad I got a good batch; judging from other reviews the beer I had is certainly better than most. I recommend it, but caveat emptor.

3.82/5  rDev +13%

A= dark brown to a black color with a 1 finger head that dissipates quickly with a little head left behind for your enjoyment, large bubbles clinging to the glass with good lacing
S= Dark coffee smell with milk chocolate undertone
T= Black coffee with a mild chocolate aftertaste
M= sharp and tingily in my mouth with a stickyness left behind on my lips
D= decent if you like this style, its a coffee stout for sure. I liked it for what it is but I don't think I will be trying it again, just not my style

1.15/5  rDev -66%

A - stout dark, pitch black, with a thin tan head that dissipates quickly to a rim

S - did thi skunk? can't tell if this is extremely ridled with very bitter coffee or has turned, its so very astringent, acidic, almost vinegary/grapey

T - ugh, so very sharp, almost red winey, with a touch a vinegar, i will try this again someday, hopefully this a skunked bottle

M&D - will update when i retry this, i can stomach another swallow

2.59/5  rDev -23.4%

Bottle says it was bottled in Week 1 of May. No evidence of what year, however, so I'm hoping it's fresh. . . .

A: OK, first -- on opening the cap, I got a strong "pfffft" and looked quickly to see if it was overflowing. No, but then I poured it into a pint glass and it was ALL foam. Strangest thing I'd ever seen -- I don't think I poured more than a half-inch worth of beer out of the bottle and literally 3/4 of the pint glass was foam. As I get to this point of typing the review, I've now got 1-finger of beer and 2 fingers of foam -- light, airy foam that's light-tan in color. OK, so I tried to pour some more in the glass and now I've got 2-fingers of liquid and 4 fingers of foam. At this rate it should take me a half hour to pour the beer, though that foam does settle down somewhat quickly [Just noticed the bottle now has about 2-fingers' worth of foam at the neck too]. . . . Alright, a half hour was an exaggeration, but it's been 10 minutes and I still have about 1/3 of the bottle to go. With every small pour, I immediately get a geyser of foam that rises back to the top of the glass. My patience is wearing thin.

S: Roasted malt and old coffee.

T: When I finally (15 mins later) get past the foam so I can take a sip. . . there's not much there. Something metallic at first (though this seems to dissipate over time), some roasted malt, some burnt grain and a hint of chocolate at the back of the mouth after the swallow. I don't really even get a sense of coffee, to be honest, though to some degree those burnt grains remind me of coffee that's been sitting on the burner too long.

M: Remember I said my patience was wearing thin? Well that's the perfect word to describe the mouthfeel: thin. Watery too. But plenty of carbonation (no surprise given the foam).

D: If you don't mind waiting awhile to start drinking, then I guess at least there's nothing objectionable to the taste, and since it's very light in body, I suppose you could drink this pretty quickly.,Especially if your goal is to finish it so you can move on to something worthwhile. As for me? Drain pour about 1/3 of the way in. Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Notes: I'm glad I only bought a single bottle at Olivers.

Fuel Cafe (Coffee Flavored Stout) from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.