1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Fat Abbey - Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

Fat Abbey
No picture uploaded.

Lakefront Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerBelcher on 12-15-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 6 | Reviews: 3 | Show All Ratings:
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

3.8/5  rDev -0.5%

12 oz tap pour into a Cafe Hollander (at Cafe Hollander...durr) American Tumbler.

A - The Fat Abbey poured out of the tap a hazy amber red color with a thin layer of tan foam that got small and clumpy only to leave sticky lacing.

S - Belgian yeast with fruity esters like chocolate covered cherries and plums with rich sweet malts. As it warmed, the citrus hop aroma became more apparent and strong.

T - Belgian yeast flavor again with the fruity esters and a delicate sweet malt backbone holding together a strong hop flavor. It's partially citrusy but not necessarily bitter.

M - Creamy and smooth with ample carbonation and a touch of dry bitterness on the finish.

D - The hop level is a bit too high for this style affecting the drinkability poorly. It's got a very solid balance that I began picking up towards the end. I honestly don't think I've ever had a hop-heavy Belgian strong dark ale before.

07-07-2009 00:19:20 | More by BeerFMAndy
uncle8gil

Wisconsin

4.7/5  rDev +23%

So now in 2007 this fine, fine brew becomes more and more difficult to find. I reviewed it a year ago, and my sentiments have not changed: this is still the beer I judge all beers by. I have yet to find its equal. And, I have yet to find it easily. Currently it is available on tap at La Merenda in Milwaukee (East National Ave) and is poured under the pseudonym 'NATIONAL AVENUE ALE'. Do not be fooled, this is Lakefront Brewery's Fat Abbey (and the employees know it, and so does Lakefront, but it's a secret, so: shhh…).

On first pour it is the most gorgeous dark amber I have known, reminding me of that girl upstairs I had a crush on that one time we rode the elevator together. She did this thing with her hair, and it's just what the bubbles do in this amazing brew. The head is a fingerful in thickness and an off-white tan in color. It clumps after receding, and while drinking it rims the glass after each sip as a reminder of its presence. This beer gains complexity as it warms. You can often find me at the bar, my hands wrapped firmly around my pint, attempting to warm the brew with the body heat of my thin hands. The taste is amazing. It's a full mouthfeel, friends, and you know this is a beer being drunk. The carbonation dances upon the tongue perfectly making sure each aspect of its taste finds a place to be tasted. Grapefruit and hops prevail, and the bitter kick…oh, the bitter kick. Well, let's just say that hopheads beware, because this is something special. It is a filling beer, but I cannot help but have beyond my fill each time I have a chance, knowing that it could be my last. Find me and I'll buy you a glass and we can talk of past loves and toast to new ones. Cheers.

11-18-2007 02:51:04 | More by uncle8gil
BeerBelcher

3.15/5  rDev -17.5%

The appearance of this beer is a hazy dark orange. It had great tightly-wound head formation. I thought this beer was beautiful.

This beer had very little aroma.

The beer itself tastes a bit like a tripel to me. It is slightly sour and a bit like a cabernet in both its mouthfeel (very full) and flavor. The taste is bold with notes of grape sourness and alcohol. The hop character of the beer becomes evident later, and is quite pleasant.

As I mentioned, mouthfeel is substantial, but appropriate for the style.

This beer is a mouthful, and is not exceedingly easy to drink. Nonetheless, it is definitely worthwhile.

12-15-2006 20:35:54 | More by BeerBelcher
Fat Abbey from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.