Rosie - Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

RosieRosie

good

Lakefront Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Lambic - Fruit |  9.00% ABV

Oak Aged Sour Ale fermented and aged with Wisconsin cherries.

(Beer added by: botham on 07-20-2009)

ryanpj, Jul 01, 2013
4.03/5  rDev +9.2%

750 from my boy lou, thanks lou, cellared for awhile, entered from notes

a: poured into a tall allagash weizen glass, the beer is a deep honeyed amber in color with a slight rose tint, each pour explodes with building carbonation, requiring a couple attempts to fill the glass, a chunky head retains well and leaves good lace

s: funk makes the first move on the nose - wild with some really good barnyard character - damp hay and sun bathed livestock stalls, fresh mushrooms, pungent for sure but not exploring the more offensive range of the territory, oak aromas fit in very nicely, clean malts infused with cherry, fermented fallen fruit, aged papery hops, complimentary alcohol, very nice

m: carbonation slightly prickly, but only nudging towards the high side of moderate, body light and crisp

t: considerable wild character throughout well integrated with a clean, dry malt base infused with fermented cherries, the nose shows more barnyard range, but there’s a nice tart fallen fruit, sunny stall character here, some touches of oak on the back end, drying with an acidic touch to the finish, papery hops

o: a well-crafted sour, the wild yeasts hit especially well on the nose, drinks especially well for the abv, good effort by Lakefront

blackie, Apr 10, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

imperialking, Jan 17, 2013

westcoastbeerlvr, Jan 09, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Bottle (2012)

Acquired via trade

(Aged for 2 years)

A very murky cherry and cranberry in color with very little visible carbonation. Leaves the glass oily on the way down.

Lots of sweet cherries make up the bulk of the aroma (not tart or sour cherries), some sweet vanilla, oak, and a bit of funky, mildly stinky cheese.

The flavor is similar to the aroma, with lots of sweet cherries making up the bulk of the flavor, along with vanilla and a bit of cheese. Low bitterness. Drinkable and enjoyable.

Medium bodied with very low carbonation. The alcohol is remarkably well hidden.

Good enough, but not great.

ehammond1, Nov 28, 2012

TonyTalon, Jul 03, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

atone315, Jul 02, 2012
3.15/5  rDev -14.6%

I got this from BeerFMAndy over two years ago in one of my very first trades. Thanks Andy!

Once I removed the cage, the cork shot off like a bullet. OMG!

A: Poured with a head that resembled dish soap and the brew was pretty murky and resembled a cross between pureed cherries and tomato juice.

S: I got the woodiness from the brett, the sour cherries, a big vinegar component. The lactose succulence (ala. Russian River) was sorely lacking.

T: The taste was WAY off on this. Band-Aide stuff for sure and without any brightness to the cherries. Seriously, based on the smell, I thought this would have been just a bit more acidic, but it simply wasn't in the least.

M: The creaminess was pretty good, but I didn't get any sour funk coating the palate (I was wanting this!). The carbonation was a bit too high for my taste.

O: Wow, I've been holding on to this bottle all this time and it truly turned out to be a major letdown. C'est le vie...

Chaney, Jun 26, 2012

djrn2, May 22, 2012

TimRasmussen, May 18, 2012

antoines15, Apr 16, 2012

AlphaKing414, Apr 02, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

A minor collar despite the cask pour. good light raspberry color, pure white collar.

Cherry pits, lightly cherry juice, bits of sulfur. Bland. Not a great kriek.

Flavors... Light cherry, bit of that oaken vanilla, finishes dry cherry pits. Low tannic quality of tongue depressers.

Body is mild, thin, unappealing. Watery. Just blase.

Khazadum, Mar 04, 2012

Beezee, Mar 01, 2012
3.35/5  rDev -9.2%

Pour: Bright pink/orange with a fizzy white sparkling champagne head. Big gusher, watch out!

Nose: Dry oak, slightly tart cherry, Brett and banana, clove, and must.

Taste: Semi sweet, not tart. Cherry, clove, Belgian yeast, drying oak finish.

Mouthfeel: Sparkling and fizzy and drying on the end.

Overall: One dimensional. Enjoyable but not that great really.

waltersrj, Mar 01, 2012

ygtbsm94, Feb 11, 2012

Fitzmke, Feb 04, 2012
3.05/5  rDev -17.3%

Bought as one of the last 2 bottles from Gary's beer and Liquor in Oak Creek.
Poured into a tulip glass.
This beer is such a rare find even around Milwaukee that I decided it was the perfect opportunity for me to finally right up and post my first review!

A- Pours a light pinkish Thick bubbling head reminiscent almost of champagne at first that slowly dissipates down to a final thin layer that lingers. The color is a thick pinkish amber and there is scare light penetration.

S- The smell that hit me when I first uncorked the bottle reminded me of old musty cardboard, I thought it was the cork however the smell seems to have lingered somewhat after I've poured it into the glass. There is a somewhat faint sent of cherries accompanied with what smells like Belgian yeast. I find the smell to be very reminiscent of the Belgian triple I just had the night before.

T-My first impression upon tasting this was that it seemed almost tasteless aside from the lingering sour/tart sting it gave my mouth. It almost has made me wonder if there was something wrong with my tongue almost as if I can't taste. Upon My second taste I find that the cherry tartness seems to be very faint just like the smell implied.

M-It has a fizzy coarse like mouth feel that just keeps making me think of champagne and soda. The sourness hits and leaves a slight burn upon the tongue right away and then finishes with another short but intense sour burn at the end.

O- Since this is my first lambic I find it to be very unique to any other beer I've ever tried before. It is very refreshing and drinkable much like the rest of lake front's beers. I feel like New Glarus's Wisconsin Belgian Red is better in terms of looking for a good cherry flavor. Nice and sour. Overall Lakefront has made another great beer that doesn't disappoint.

Zachtheporter, Feb 01, 2012

750 mL bottle tried 20 Oct 2010. Courtesy of ratatat & S, thanks! Served in the 0.4 L Steiner Pils glass.

Very large tight pink head. Well carbonated. Cloudy amber rose color. Aroma pours out of the bottle as it's opened, tart cherries and oak, possibly cedar, woody and herbal. Doesn't start as tart as the aroma would indicate. Starts sweet-tart, becoming a bit drier in the middle. Moderately sour. Woody/oaky finish. Aroma becomes a bit sweeter as the beer warms. Aftertaste is a lingering sour-tart cherryness. Medium body, mild ethanol.

A sour that doesn't melt your face off.

htomsirveaux, Jan 20, 2012
3.83/5  rDev +3.8%

A - The body is a very attractive red color that begs to be seen. The head is a perfect white and rather quick-lived considering it took the bartender two trips to the tap to get the beer poured. According to her the brew is highly carbonated.

S - The scent is exactly how I would expect it to be. The only factor not lending it to a perfect score is the sourness in the aroma could be a bit stronger.

T - The flavors here are very interesting. Tastes of malt, nut, pear, and alcohol. Not as sour as I would have anticipated but then again, despite the label, this is not a sour. It's listed on the Lakefront Brewery website as a Kreik. If this beer is truely suppose to be listed here as a lambic I'd say it fits the style relatively well. If they were going for sour, I'd say it needs more time to mature.

M - The feel is nice and dry, slightly coarse and rather crisp.

~ For me this is a one and done while the beer is at this stage in its life. I really like the opportunity this beer offers. It being at 9% abv gives it a chance to grow in the bottle. If I see a bottle on a shelf here in Central Wisconsin I'll pick one up for the cellar.

cdkrenz, Jan 08, 2012
Rosie from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.